Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: Unable to install MythTV on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04 [ In reply to ]
On 13/05/2018, Thomas Mashos <thomas@mashos.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 13, 2018, 2:39 AM Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Mariadb is a mysql fork. ISTR that the fork was made in order to avoid
>> > Oracle becoming too powerful due to the number of open source (and
>> > closed source alike) projects relying on mysql, and Oracle's somewhat
>> > threatening behaviour in respect of continuing support and development.
>> >
>> > The API exposed by mariadb is identical to mysql's. An application
>> > should not notice the difference between the two.
>> >
>> > But it is conceivable that an application's packaging includes
>> > dependencies that fail to recognise the equivalence of mariadb and
>> > mysql. If you encounter such an application I would recommend filing a
>> > bug with whoever did the packaging.
>> >

>> The Ubuntu Software Centre, when displaying the information about
>> mythtv, has the link for the "Developer website", as pointing to
>> mythtv.org.
>>
>> So, I am wondering whether the developers of the Ubuntu mythtv
>> package(s) would happen to be subscribed to, and, involved in, this
>> list?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Bret Busby
>> Armadale
>> West Australia

> That's me, and I explained exactly what the issue was last night.
>

> --
> -Thomas

As I had posted, the issue of the mysql 5.6 is dealt with.

The issue has progressed from there.

The software is installed.

--

Bret Busby
Armadale

you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
A Trilogy In Four Parts",
written by Douglas Adams,
published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Unable to install MythTV on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04 [ In reply to ]
> On 13 May 2018, at 8:00 pm, mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org wrote:
>
>> And, in the course of my writing this last part, mythtv has installed.
>>
>> Now, to get it working...
>>

> And, to get it working, upon loading it, I get a message saying that I
> have to join a mythtv group.
>
> Then it tells me that, having joined the group, I have to reboot the
> computer, or, to log out and then start a new login session..
>
> And I then get a window telling me that "No running KDM.Gnome.XFCE" so
> I do not know whether, after all of that, it will run with MATE.

The funnies you attribute to mythtv are infact foibles of the packager.

I have a BE FE machine that has NO mythtv user or group and it runs an xfce desktop. That is how I choose to run mythtv.

I promise that mate would run mythtv just as I want (but I’d find mate a PIA)
James