Mailing List Archive

Unable to install MythTV on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04
Hello.

I have just unsuccessfully tried, using the Ubuntu Software Centre, to
download and install MythTV, on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04.x .

The version of MythTV that I tried to install, from the Ubuntu
Software Centre, is shown as
mythtv 2:0.28.0+fixes.20160413.15cf421-0ubuntu2.16.04.1

The error message showed

"
To install MythTV Backend Setup, these items must be removed:
Mysql database server binaries
mysql-server-core-5.6
"

Is it correct that MythTV conflicts with MySQL, and that the two are
mutually exclusive?

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
A Trilogy In Four Parts",
written by Douglas Adams,
published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Unable to install MythTV on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04 [ In reply to ]
My understanding is that he *buntu packages want to install MariaDB, which
will conflict with MySQL.

Unless you really need MySQL then I would uninstall it and use the
recommended packages.

Also the *buntu packages will give you a less-than-up-to-date version of
MythTV (I have just installed 0.29-fixes on a LUuntu 16.04.1 base.

There is some very good information here: Installing MythTV on Ubuntu -
MythTV Official Wiki
<https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Ubuntu>

George

Re: Unable to install MythTV on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04 [ In reply to ]
On 13/05/2018, George Poulson <george.poulson@gmail.com> wrote:
> My understanding is that he *buntu packages want to install MariaDB, which
> will conflict with MySQL.
>
> Unless you really need MySQL then I would uninstall it and use the
> recommended packages.
>
> Also the *buntu packages will give you a less-than-up-to-date version of
> MythTV (I have just installed 0.29-fixes on a LUuntu 16.04.1 base.
>
> There is some very good information here: Installing MythTV on Ubuntu -
> MythTV Official Wiki
> <https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Ubuntu>
>
> George
>

> On 12 May 2018 at 21:19, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> I have just unsuccessfully tried, using the Ubuntu Software Centre, to
>> download and install MythTV, on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04.x .
>>
>> The version of MythTV that I tried to install, from the Ubuntu
>> Software Centre, is shown as
>> mythtv 2:0.28.0+fixes.20160413.15cf421-0ubuntu2.16.04.1
>>
>> The error message showed
>>
>> "
>> To install MythTV Backend Setup, these items must be removed:
>> Mysql database server binaries
>> mysql-server-core-5.6
>> "
>>
>> Is it correct that MythTV conflicts with MySQL, and that the two are
>> mutually exclusive?
>>
>> Thank you in anticipation.
>>
>> --
>> Bret Busby
>> Armadale
>> West Australia
>>
>> "So once you do know what the question actually is,
>> you'll know what the answer means."
>> - Deep Thought,
>> Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
>> "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
>> A Trilogy In Four Parts",
>> written by Douglas Adams,
>> published by Pan Books, 1992

Hello.

That wiki from the link that you posted, in adding the ppa, and trying
to install using the ppa, still requires eliminating mysql.

Yet, that wiki web page states that mythtv uses muysql, and,
installing mythtv, creates a mysql database for mythtv.

So, that wiki web page appears to be obsolete.

So, it appears that mythtv and mysql are mutually exclusive.

Re: Unable to install MythTV on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, May 12, 2018 at 3:34 PM Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13/05/2018, George Poulson <george.poulson@gmail.com> wrote:
> > My understanding is that he *buntu packages want to install MariaDB,
> which
> > will conflict with MySQL.
> >
> > Unless you really need MySQL then I would uninstall it and use the
> > recommended packages.
> >
> > Also the *buntu packages will give you a less-than-up-to-date version of
> > MythTV (I have just installed 0.29-fixes on a LUuntu 16.04.1 base.
> >
> > There is some very good information here: Installing MythTV on Ubuntu -
> > MythTV Official Wiki
> > <https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Ubuntu>
> >
> > George
> >

> > On 12 May 2018 at 21:19, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello.
> >>
> >> I have just unsuccessfully tried, using the Ubuntu Software Centre, to
> >> download and install MythTV, on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04.x .
> >>
> >> The version of MythTV that I tried to install, from the Ubuntu
> >> Software Centre, is shown as
> >> mythtv 2:0.28.0+fixes.20160413.15cf421-0ubuntu2.16.04.1
> >>
> >> The error message showed
> >>
> >> "
> >> To install MythTV Backend Setup, these items must be removed:
> >> Mysql database server binaries
> >> mysql-server-core-5.6
> >> "
> >>
> >> Is it correct that MythTV conflicts with MySQL, and that the two are
> >> mutually exclusive?
> >>
> >> Thank you in anticipation.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bret Busby
> >> Armadale
> >> West Australia
> >>
> >> "So once you do know what the question actually is,
> >> you'll know what the answer means."
> >> - Deep Thought,
> >> Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
> >> "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
> >> A Trilogy In Four Parts",
> >> written by Douglas Adams,
> >> published by Pan Books, 1992

> Hello.
>
> That wiki from the link that you posted, in adding the ppa, and trying
> to install using the ppa, still requires eliminating mysql.
>
> Yet, that wiki web page states that mythtv uses muysql, and,
> installing mythtv, creates a mysql database for mythtv.
>
> So, that wiki web page appears to be obsolete.
>
> So, it appears that mythtv and mysql are mutually exclusive.
>

> --
>
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia

> "So once you do know what the question actually is,
> you'll know what the answer means."
> - Deep Thought,
> Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
> "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
> A Trilogy In Four Parts",
> written by Douglas Adams,
> published by Pan Books, 1992

Ubuntu 16.04 has MySQL 5.7, not 5.6. So you should probably figure out why
your system is out of whack.

That said, it's not the entire issue you're facing. In 16.04 MythTV
requires either mysql-server, mysql-server-5.7, mysql-server-5.6,
virtual-mysql-server, or mariadb-server. So I'm guessing whatever that
mysql-server-core-5.6 package is it doesn't provide any of the above
mentioned packages and instead conflicts with one of them.

So to fix this issue, you'll need to fix your system first. Once you do
that, I'll second part of what George had said and suggest you should be
running the MythTV packages from the PPA.
--
-Thomas
Re: Unable to install MythTV on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04 [ In reply to ]
> On 13 May 2018, at 6:34 am, mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org wrote:
>
> On 13/05/2018, George Poulson <george.poulson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> My understanding is that he *buntu packages want to install MariaDB, which
>> will conflict with MySQL.
>>
>> Unless you really need MySQL then I would uninstall it and use the
>> recommended packages.
>>
>> Also the *buntu packages will give you a less-than-up-to-date version of
>> MythTV (I have just installed 0.29-fixes on a LUuntu 16.04.1 base.
>>
>> There is some very good information here: Installing MythTV on Ubuntu -
>> MythTV Official Wiki
>> <https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Ubuntu>
>>
>> George
>>

>> On 12 May 2018 at 21:19, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I have just unsuccessfully tried, using the Ubuntu Software Centre, to
>>> download and install MythTV, on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04.x .
>>>
>>> The version of MythTV that I tried to install, from the Ubuntu
>>> Software Centre, is shown as
>>> mythtv 2:0.28.0+fixes.20160413.15cf421-0ubuntu2.16.04.1
>>>
>>> The error message showed
>>>
>>> "
>>> To install MythTV Backend Setup, these items must be removed:
>>> Mysql database server binaries
>>> mysql-server-core-5.6
>>> "
>>>
>>> Is it correct that MythTV conflicts with MySQL, and that the two are
>>> mutually exclusive?
>>>
>>> Thank you in anticipation.
>
> Hello.
>
> That wiki from the link that you posted, in adding the ppa, and trying
> to install using the ppa, still requires eliminating mysql.
>
> Yet, that wiki web page states that mythtv uses muysql, and,
> installing mythtv, creates a mysql database for mythtv.
>
> So, that wiki web page appears to be obsolete.
>
> So, it appears that mythtv and mysql are mutually exclusive.

Bret much confusion about terminology

MariaDB is an SQL database engine
mysql is an SQL data base engine

mythtv works (when I last tried) on either database engine.
The advice above says if you dont need (somewhere there are differences) mysql then ditch it and use mariadb

The databases are losely and wrongly reffered to as a mysql database. SQL is a standard as as far as I know neither engine violates the standard.

You can ditch mysql and install mariadb without noticing (in general, but if you are building qt suff that usees the MYSQL db stuff then ouch a bit)

If you follow the wiki, in particular use anisable to get dependancies then building myth is quite easy. If you do that you can use which ever version you choose the DB access is hidden in QTMYSQL and either mariadb or mysql works.

James
Re: Unable to install MythTV on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04 [ In reply to ]
Hoi James,

Sunday, May 13, 2018, 5:32:01 AM, you wrote:

>> On 13 May 2018, at 6:34 am, mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org wrote:
>>
>> On 13/05/2018, George Poulson <george.poulson@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> My understanding is that he *buntu packages want to install MariaDB, which
>>> will conflict with MySQL.
>>>
>>> Unless you really need MySQL then I would uninstall it and use the
>>> recommended packages.
>>>
>>> Also the *buntu packages will give you a less-than-up-to-date version of
>>> MythTV (I have just installed 0.29-fixes on a LUuntu 16.04.1 base.
>>>
>>> There is some very good information here: Installing MythTV on Ubuntu -
>>> MythTV Official Wiki
>>> <https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Ubuntu>
>>>
>>> George

>> Hello.
>>
>> That wiki from the link that you posted, in adding the ppa, and trying
>> to install using the ppa, still requires eliminating mysql.
>>
>> Yet, that wiki web page states that mythtv uses muysql, and,
>> installing mythtv, creates a mysql database for mythtv.
>>
>> So, that wiki web page appears to be obsolete.
>>
>> So, it appears that mythtv and mysql are mutually exclusive.

> Bret much confusion about terminology

> MariaDB is an SQL database engine
> mysql is an SQL data base engine

> mythtv works (when I last tried) on either database engine.
> The advice above says if you dont need (somewhere there are
> differences) mysql then ditch it and use mariadb

> The databases are losely and wrongly reffered to as a mysql
> database. SQL is a standard as as far as I know neither engine violates the standard.

> You can ditch mysql and install mariadb without noticing (in
> general, but if you are building qt suff that usees the MYSQL db stuff then ouch a bit)

> If you follow the wiki, in particular use anisable to get
> dependancies then building myth is quite easy. If you do that you
> can use which ever version you choose the DB access is hidden in
> QTMYSQL and either mariadb or mysql works.

> James

To be more precise Marydb == mysql, why the package installer was not
satisfied with mysql is an error on the side of the package builder.

Some history.

At some time past some people did build the public domain database
system called mysql. As things go, they at sometime sold their product,
but then dissatisfaction with that selling to the commerce stepped in.
One of the original builders created MariaDB based on the original
source code, Maria if I am correct is the name of one of his
daughters. MariaDB tries to maintain compatibility with mysql and
mostly succeeds, but by now offers much more. While mysql still is
public domain, the public domain, more and more is choosing Mariadb.

However any software at present including MythTV can run with either.
A restriction to choose either is an ideological choice of the package
creator.

Tot mails,
Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop
Het eeuwige dilemma

De lerende Mens

Re: Unable to install MythTV on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04 [ In reply to ]
On 13/05/2018, Thomas Mashos <thomas@mashos.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 12, 2018 at 3:34 PM Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 13/05/2018, George Poulson <george.poulson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > My understanding is that he *buntu packages want to install MariaDB,
>> which
>> > will conflict with MySQL.
>> >
>> > Unless you really need MySQL then I would uninstall it and use the
>> > recommended packages.
>> >
>> > Also the *buntu packages will give you a less-than-up-to-date version
>> > of
>> > MythTV (I have just installed 0.29-fixes on a LUuntu 16.04.1 base.
>> >
>> > There is some very good information here: Installing MythTV on Ubuntu -
>> > MythTV Official Wiki
>> > <https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Ubuntu>
>> >
>> > George

>> Hello.
>>
>> That wiki from the link that you posted, in adding the ppa, and trying
>> to install using the ppa, still requires eliminating mysql.
>>
>> Yet, that wiki web page states that mythtv uses muysql, and,
>> installing mythtv, creates a mysql database for mythtv.
>>
>> So, that wiki web page appears to be obsolete.
>>
>> So, it appears that mythtv and mysql are mutually exclusive.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Bret Busby
>> Armadale
>> West Australia

>> "So once you do know what the question actually is,
>> you'll know what the answer means."
>> - Deep Thought,
>> Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
>> "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
>> A Trilogy In Four Parts",
>> written by Douglas Adams,
>> published by Pan Books, 1992

> Ubuntu 16.04 has MySQL 5.7, not 5.6. So you should probably figure out why
> your system is out of whack.
>
> That said, it's not the entire issue you're facing. In 16.04 MythTV
> requires either mysql-server, mysql-server-5.7, mysql-server-5.6,
> virtual-mysql-server, or mariadb-server. So I'm guessing whatever that
> mysql-server-core-5.6 package is it doesn't provide any of the above
> mentioned packages and instead conflicts with one of them.
>
> So to fix this issue, you'll need to fix your system first. Once you do
> that, I'll second part of what George had said and suggest you should be
> running the MythTV packages from the PPA.
> --
> -Thomas

I have just made sure that the mysql is updated, and, synaptic shows
the installed version to be 5.7, but the Ubuntu Software Centre shows
that 5.6 needs to be removed.

Trying to use the apt-get install mythtv command returns

"
$ sudo apt-get install mythtv
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
fonts-droid-fallback fonts-texgyre libdbd-mysql-perl libdbi-perl
libhtml-template-perl libmyth libmyth-python
libmythtv-perl libnet-upnp-perl libreadline5 libxml-simple-perl
libxml-xpath-perl mariadb-client-10.0
mariadb-client-core-10.0 mariadb-common mariadb-server-10.0
mariadb-server-core-10.0 mythtv-backend
mythtv-common mythtv-database mythtv-dbg mythtv-frontend
mythtv-transcode-utils pwgen python-future
python-imdbpy python-mysqldb python-pycurl python-requests-cache
python-urlgrabber tex-common ttf-dejavu
ttf-dejavu-extra wmctrl
Suggested packages:
libmldbm-perl libnet-daemon-perl libsql-statement-perl
libipc-sharedcache-perl mariadb-test tinyca mythtv-doc
mythweb mythmusic mythweather mythgallery mythgame mytharchive
python-future-doc python-sqlobject
python-sqlalchemy mysql-server python-egenix-mxdatetime
python-mysqldb-dbg libcurl4-gnutls-dev
python-pycurl-dbg python-pycurl-doc python-requests-cache-doc
python-pymongo python-redis debhelper
The following packages will be REMOVED:
mysql-client mysql-client-5.7 mysql-client-core-5.7 mysql-server-core-5.6
fonts-droid-fallback fonts-texgyre libdbd-mysql-perl libdbi-perl
libhtml-template-perl libmyth libmyth-python
libmythtv-perl libnet-upnp-perl libreadline5 libxml-simple-perl
libxml-xpath-perl mariadb-client-10.0
mariadb-client-core-10.0 mariadb-common mariadb-server-10.0
mariadb-server-core-10.0 mythtv mythtv-backend
mythtv-common mythtv-database mythtv-dbg mythtv-frontend
mythtv-transcode-utils pwgen python-future
python-imdbpy python-mysqldb python-pycurl python-requests-cache
python-urlgrabber tex-common ttf-dejavu
ttf-dejavu-extra wmctrl
0 to upgrade, 35 to newly install, 4 to remove and 8 not to upgrade.
Need to get 206 MB of archives.
After this operation, 334 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
"

So it seems that, once again, mysql and mythtv are mutually exclusive;
if mysql is installed, mythtv will not install.

It seems too dificult to install and use mythtv.

Re: Unable to install MythTV on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04 [ In reply to ]
On 13/05/2018, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> libmythtv-perl libnet-upnp-perl libreadline5 libxml-simple-perl
> libxml-xpath-perl mariadb-client-10.0
> mariadb-client-core-10.0 mariadb-common mariadb-server-10.0
> mariadb-server-core-10.0 mythtv mythtv-backend
> mythtv-common mythtv-database mythtv-dbg mythtv-frontend
> mythtv-transcode-utils pwgen python-future
> python-imdbpy python-mysqldb python-pycurl python-requests-cache
> python-urlgrabber tex-common ttf-dejavu
> ttf-dejavu-extra wmctrl
> 0 to upgrade, 35 to newly install, 4 to remove and 8 not to upgrade.
> Need to get 206 MB of archives.
> After this operation, 334 MB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
> "
>
> So it seems that, once again, mysql and mythtv are mutually exclusive;
> if mysql is installed, mythtv will not install.
>
> It seems too dificult to install and use mythtv.

One extra thing that gets me, about this, is that, apparently, mariadb
will not install and run on a system, that has mysql installed.

If I can have postgresql and mysql concurrently installed, why can
mariadb not also be concurrently installed with mysql?

It sounds like a proprietary software restriction imposed by mariadb.

Re: Unable to install MythTV on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04 [ In reply to ]
If you want to use your package manager's mythtv installation then just let
the package manager remove mysql and install mariadb (and mythtv).
You really should not notice the difference between mysql and mariadb.

MythTV itself really doesn't mind which db it uses.

This seems to be an ubuntumate issue - I've had no incidents like this
installing mythtv on vanilla ubunto nor lubuntu.

Re: Unable to install MythTV on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04 [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 13 May 2018 14:58:43 +0800, you wrote:

>One extra thing that gets me, about this, is that, apparently, mariadb
>will not install and run on a system, that has mysql installed.
>
>If I can have postgresql and mysql concurrently installed, why can
>mariadb not also be concurrently installed with mysql?
>
>It sounds like a proprietary software restriction imposed by mariadb.

MySQL and MariaDB are mutually exclusive. They perform the same job -
MariaDB installs itself as though it was MySQL, including using the
same names for the mysql command line programs. MythTV will install
if the right version of either MySQL or MariaDB is installed. I
recommend that you install MariaDB, which will uninstall MySQL, then
install MythTV from the PPA.
Re: Unable to install MythTV on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04 [ In reply to ]
On 13/05/2018, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
> On Sun, 13 May 2018 14:58:43 +0800, you wrote:
>

>>One extra thing that gets me, about this, is that, apparently, mariadb
>>will not install and run on a system, that has mysql installed.
>>
>>If I can have postgresql and mysql concurrently installed, why can
>>mariadb not also be concurrently installed with mysql?
>>
>>It sounds like a proprietary software restriction imposed by mariadb.
>
> MySQL and MariaDB are mutually exclusive. They perform the same job -
> MariaDB installs itself as though it was MySQL, including using the
> same names for the mysql command line programs. MythTV will install
> if the right version of either MySQL or MariaDB is installed. I
> recommend that you install MariaDB, which will uninstall MySQL, then
> install MythTV from the PPA.

So, what happens if I have any application installed, that relies on mysql?

I do not know that I have any application installed, that relies on
mysql, but, it had not occured to me, that mythtv would rely on
mariadb, or, any other database, so, I assume that it is possible that
I have some application(s) installed, that rely on mysql.

Re: Unable to install MythTV on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04 [ In reply to ]
As a previous poster has said, mysql and mariadb are equivalents.
An application that needs an sql database *should* be able to use either
mysql or mariadb.

Re: Unable to install MythTV on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04 [ In reply to ]
On 13/05/2018, George Poulson <george.poulson@gmail.com> wrote:
> As a previous poster has said, mysql and mariadb are equivalents.
> An application that needs an sql database *should* be able to use either
> mysql or mariadb.

But not mythtv.

Re: Unable to install MythTV on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04 [ In reply to ]
On 13/05/18 10:32, Bret Busby wrote:
> So, what happens if I have any application installed, that relies on mysql?
>
> I do not know that I have any application installed, that relies on
> mysql, but, it had not occured to me, that mythtv would rely on
> mariadb, or, any other database, so, I assume that it is possible that
> I have some application(s) installed, that rely on mysql.

Mariadb is a mysql fork. ISTR that the fork was made in order to avoid
Oracle becoming too powerful due to the number of open source (and
closed source alike) projects relying on mysql, and Oracle's somewhat
threatening behaviour in respect of continuing support and development.

The API exposed by mariadb is identical to mysql's. An application
should not notice the difference between the two.

But it is conceivable that an application's packaging includes
dependencies that fail to recognise the equivalence of mariadb and
mysql. If you encounter such an application I would recommend filing a
bug with whoever did the packaging.

HTH, Jan
Re: Unable to install MythTV on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04 [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 13 May 2018 16:40:02 +0800, you wrote:

>On 13/05/2018, George Poulson <george.poulson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> As a previous poster has said, mysql and mariadb are equivalents.
>> An application that needs an sql database *should* be able to use either
>> mysql or mariadb.
>>

>But not mythtv.

Yes, MythTV can use MySQL. But somehow not your install of MySQL - I
do not know why. But it is better to be using MariaDB anyway.

If you attempt to install MariaDB, anything that relies on it may also
need to be uninstalled. But uninstalling is not purging - all the
setup for the software, including any databases, is still there. So
all you do after MariaDB has installed is to re-install any packages
that got uninstalled. But, apart from MythTV, there is unlikely to be
anything else using MySQL unless your PC has a long history. Try it
and see if there are any other packages flagged to be uninstalled - if
you do not like what you see, then just cancel the MariaDB install.
Re: Unable to install MythTV on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04 [ In reply to ]
On 13/05/18 10:40, Bret Busby wrote:
> On 13/05/2018, George Poulson <george.poulson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> As a previous poster has said, mysql and mariadb are equivalents.
>> An application that needs an sql database *should* be able to use either
>> mysql or mariadb.
>>

> But not mythtv.

Bret,

You don't seem to be interested in the answers given to you by people
here, including the devs.

I am running myth 0.28/fixes in combination with mysql 5.5 on my old
Ubuntu 14.04 backend. I have a new backend in the works (running Ubuntu
16.04) which, when I install mythtv on it from the regular Ubuntu
repositories, brings in mysql 5.7 as well.

Other distros (Fedora comes to mind) have replaced mysql by mariadb in
their repositories, and mythtv works fine with it.

HTH, Jan
Re: Unable to install MythTV on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04 [ In reply to ]
On 13 May 2018 at 09:40, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13/05/2018, George Poulson <george.poulson@gmail.com> wrote:
> > As a previous poster has said, mysql and mariadb are equivalents.
> > An application that needs an sql database *should* be able to use either
> > mysql or mariadb.
> >

> But not mythtv.

?I'm sorry but you are wrong.

MythTV can use any database engine that exposes a 'standard' sql interface,
be it MySQL, MariaDB or whatever.

The *buntu distribution that you have chosen is packaged such that it has
(possibly unnecessarily) installed MySQL in its base distribution?.

The MythTV packages that you are considering installing specify MariaDB for
the database, and so the package manager is asking to remove MySQL and
replace it with MariaDB. There will likely be no visible effect or impact
to doing this. MythTV can happily use either of these 2 databases.

As I have suggested before, just follow the package manager suggestions to
uninstall MySQL and install MythTV with its associated MariaDB database.
Re: Unable to install MythTV on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04 [ In reply to ]
On 13/05/2018, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
> On Sun, 13 May 2018 16:40:02 +0800, you wrote:
>
>>On 13/05/2018, George Poulson <george.poulson@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> As a previous poster has said, mysql and mariadb are equivalents.
>>> An application that needs an sql database *should* be able to use either
>>> mysql or mariadb.
>>>

>>But not mythtv.
>
> Yes, MythTV can use MySQL. But somehow not your install of MySQL - I
> do not know why. But it is better to be using MariaDB anyway.
>
> If you attempt to install MariaDB, anything that relies on it may also
> need to be uninstalled. But uninstalling is not purging - all the
> setup for the software, including any databases, is still there. So
> all you do after MariaDB has installed is to re-install any packages
> that got uninstalled. But, apart from MythTV, there is unlikely to be
> anything else using MySQL unless your PC has a long history.

This and my other main use PC, have had UbuntuMate installed since
12.04, as Ubuntu was then (and possibly still is) the only non-MS OS
that has drivers for the hardware on my other PC, and, Ubuntu was (and
possibly still is) the only non-MS OS that would allow me to run an
external monitor from my other PC; a "super-duper" (well, it was, when
I bought it, and had it upgraded) "laptop" computer with nVidia
Optimus, which requires nouveau.

So, both installations, while now running UbuntuMATE 16.04, have been
running UbuntuMATE since 12.04, and, are probably regarded as "old",
and, probably have software on them (apart from mysql), that predates
mariadb.

Re: Unable to install MythTV on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04 [ In reply to ]
On 13/05/2018, Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13/05/18 10:32, Bret Busby wrote:
>> So, what happens if I have any application installed, that relies on
>> mysql?
>>
>> I do not know that I have any application installed, that relies on
>> mysql, but, it had not occured to me, that mythtv would rely on
>> mariadb, or, any other database, so, I assume that it is possible that
>> I have some application(s) installed, that rely on mysql.
>
> Mariadb is a mysql fork. ISTR that the fork was made in order to avoid
> Oracle becoming too powerful due to the number of open source (and
> closed source alike) projects relying on mysql, and Oracle's somewhat
> threatening behaviour in respect of continuing support and development.
>
> The API exposed by mariadb is identical to mysql's. An application
> should not notice the difference between the two.
>
> But it is conceivable that an application's packaging includes
> dependencies that fail to recognise the equivalence of mariadb and
> mysql. If you encounter such an application I would recommend filing a
> bug with whoever did the packaging.

The Ubuntu Software Centre, when displaying the information about
mythtv, has the link for the "Developer website", as pointing to
mythtv.org.

So, I am wondering whether the developers of the Ubuntu mythtv
package(s) would happen to be subscribed to, and, involved in, this
list?

Re: Unable to install MythTV on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04 [ In reply to ]
On 13/05/18 11:38, Bret Busby wrote:
> So, I am wondering whether the developers of the Ubuntu mythtv
> package(s) would happen to be subscribed to, and, involved in, this
> list?

Please run "apt-cache depends mythtv" on your backend.

On my old server (Ubuntu 14.04) the output is as follows. As you can see
both mysql and mariadb are supported.

root@zotac:~# apt-cache depends mythtv
mythtv
|Depends: mysql-server
mysql-server-5.1
|Depends: <virtual-mysql-server>
percona-xtradb-cluster-server-5.5
mariadb-server-5.5
mysql-server-5.1
mysql-server-5.5
mysql-server-5.6
|Depends: <mysql-server-5.7>
|Depends: mysql-server-5.6
Depends: mariadb-server
Depends: mythtv-database
Depends: mythtv-frontend
Depends: mythtv-backend
|Depends: ntp
|Depends: <time-daemon>
chrony
openntpd
Depends: <ntp-simple>
Suggests: mythtv-doc

If yours looks similar your problem isn't due to mythtv packages.
Re: Unable to install MythTV on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04 [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 13 May 2018 17:33:53 +0800, you wrote:

>On 13/05/2018, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

>>>But not mythtv.
>>
>> Yes, MythTV can use MySQL. But somehow not your install of MySQL - I
>> do not know why. But it is better to be using MariaDB anyway.
>>
>> If you attempt to install MariaDB, anything that relies on it may also
>> need to be uninstalled. But uninstalling is not purging - all the
>> setup for the software, including any databases, is still there. So
>> all you do after MariaDB has installed is to re-install any packages
>> that got uninstalled. But, apart from MythTV, there is unlikely to be
>> anything else using MySQL unless your PC has a long history.
>
>This and my other main use PC, have had UbuntuMate installed since
>12.04, as Ubuntu was then (and possibly still is) the only non-MS OS
>that has drivers for the hardware on my other PC, and, Ubuntu was (and
>possibly still is) the only non-MS OS that would allow me to run an
>external monitor from my other PC; a "super-duper" (well, it was, when
>I bought it, and had it upgraded) "laptop" computer with nVidia
>Optimus, which requires nouveau.
>
>So, both installations, while now running UbuntuMATE 16.04, have been
>running UbuntuMATE since 12.04, and, are probably regarded as "old",
>and, probably have software on them (apart from mysql), that predates
>mariadb.

MariaDB is a direct replacement for MySQL, derived originally from the
same open source code. It has been developed since it was forked from
MySQL in such a way that it is still extremely compatible. It is very
unlikely that you would find any problems with other software using
MariaDB instead of MySQL. If you try an install of MariaDB, can
always switch back to MySQL again if you have problems. And if you
want to be completely safe, just boot a copy of Clonezilla and make a
complete image backup of your system before you make any changes. That
is what I do when I upgrade my Ubuntu systems to new versions of
Ubuntu. If there are problems, then you can just get Clonezilla to
restore the backup and you are back where you started.

https://clonezilla.org
Re: Unable to install MythTV on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04 [ In reply to ]
On 13/05/2018, Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13/05/18 11:38, Bret Busby wrote:
>> So, I am wondering whether the developers of the Ubuntu mythtv
>> package(s) would happen to be subscribed to, and, involved in, this
>> list?
>
> Please run "apt-cache depends mythtv" on your backend.
>
> On my old server (Ubuntu 14.04) the output is as follows. As you can see
> both mysql and mariadb are supported.
>
> root@zotac:~# apt-cache depends mythtv
> mythtv
> |Depends: mysql-server
> mysql-server-5.1
> |Depends: <virtual-mysql-server>
> percona-xtradb-cluster-server-5.5
> mariadb-server-5.5
> mysql-server-5.1
> mysql-server-5.5
> mysql-server-5.6
> |Depends: <mysql-server-5.7>
> |Depends: mysql-server-5.6
> Depends: mariadb-server
> Depends: mythtv-database
> Depends: mythtv-frontend
> Depends: mythtv-backend
> |Depends: ntp
> |Depends: <time-daemon>
> chrony
> openntpd
> Depends: <ntp-simple>
> Suggests: mythtv-doc
>
> If yours looks similar your problem isn't due to mythtv packages.

Okay - I ran the command (as user, not as superuser, and got the following;

"
bret@bret-Inspiron-580-UbuntuMATE:~$ apt-cache depends mythtv
mythtv
|Depends: <default-mysql-server>
|Depends: <virtual-mysql-server>
percona-server-server-5.6
percona-xtradb-cluster-server-5.6
mariadb-server-10.0
mysql-server-5.7
|Depends: mysql-server-5.7
|Depends: <mysql-server-5.6>
Depends: mariadb-server
Depends: mythtv-database
Depends: mythtv-frontend
Depends: mythtv-backend
|Depends: ntp
|Depends: <time-daemon>
chrony
openntpd
Depends: <ntp-simple>
Suggests: mythtv-doc
bret@bret-Inspiron-580-UbuntuMATE:~$
"

which makes me wonder why it requires the removal of the package
mysql-server-core-5.6 .

I note that your dependencies above, include
> mysql-server-5.6

Okay - it occurred to me, in looking further inSynaptic, I found that
v5.7 of most of the mysql stuff, was installed, and,
mysql-server-core-5.7 was available, along with mysql-server-5.7, but,
they were not installed, but v 5.6 of each, was installed.

So, using apt-get install, I installed the v5.7 of each, by running
apt-get install mysql-server-5.7
which involved removing the v5.6 package, and, replacing it with the
v5.7 package, and now, mythTV is installing, from the Software Centre,
so it was not an issue to dfo with mariadb and mysql - it was an issue
to do with, for whatever reason, a version of mysql-server and
mysql-server-core, that had not been upgraded, when the rest of the
mysql packages had been upgraded.

Ot, that is my unqualified opinion, anyway.

And, in the course of my writing this last part, mythtv has installed.

Now, to get it working...

Re: Unable to install MythTV on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04 [ In reply to ]
On 13/05/2018, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> And, in the course of my writing this last part, mythtv has installed.
>
> Now, to get it working...

And, to get it working, upon loading it, I get a message saying that I
have to join a mythtv group.

Then it tells me that, having joined the group, I have to reboot the
computer, or, to log out and then start a new login session..

And I then get a window telling me that "No running KDM.Gnome.XFCE" so
I do not know whether, after all of that, it will run with MATE.

Re: Unable to install MythTV on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04 [ In reply to ]
On 13/05/18 12:16, Bret Busby wrote:
> On 13/05/2018, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> And, in the course of my writing this last part, mythtv has installed.
>>
>> Now, to get it working...
>>

> And, to get it working, upon loading it, I get a message saying that I
> have to join a mythtv group.
>
> Then it tells me that, having joined the group, I have to reboot the
> computer, or, to log out and then start a new login session..
>
> And I then get a window telling me that "No running KDM.Gnome.XFCE" so
> I do not know whether, after all of that, it will run with MATE.

That "No running KDM.Gnome.XFCE" message relates to mythtv (there is
code to try and be helpful and logout automatically if running window
managers that it recognises, Mate is not one of them)  just logout
manually or reboot.

Mike

Re: Unable to install MythTV on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04 [ In reply to ]
On Sun, May 13, 2018, 2:39 AM Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13/05/2018, Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 13/05/18 10:32, Bret Busby wrote:
> >> So, what happens if I have any application installed, that relies on
> >> mysql?
> >>
> >> I do not know that I have any application installed, that relies on
> >> mysql, but, it had not occured to me, that mythtv would rely on
> >> mariadb, or, any other database, so, I assume that it is possible that
> >> I have some application(s) installed, that rely on mysql.
> >
> > Mariadb is a mysql fork. ISTR that the fork was made in order to avoid
> > Oracle becoming too powerful due to the number of open source (and
> > closed source alike) projects relying on mysql, and Oracle's somewhat
> > threatening behaviour in respect of continuing support and development.
> >
> > The API exposed by mariadb is identical to mysql's. An application
> > should not notice the difference between the two.
> >
> > But it is conceivable that an application's packaging includes
> > dependencies that fail to recognise the equivalence of mariadb and
> > mysql. If you encounter such an application I would recommend filing a
> > bug with whoever did the packaging.
> >

> The Ubuntu Software Centre, when displaying the information about
> mythtv, has the link for the "Developer website", as pointing to
> mythtv.org.
>
> So, I am wondering whether the developers of the Ubuntu mythtv
> package(s) would happen to be subscribed to, and, involved in, this
> list?
>
> --
>
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia

That's me, and I explained exactly what the issue was last night.

--
-Thomas

1 2  View All