Mailing List Archive

HDPVR - no longer recording!
So, owing to the fact that they're getting a bit old and more difficult to find, I bought another HD-PVR from E-Bay.

After it arrived I decided that I should test it, so I swapped all of the cables from my working HD-PVR and put them inm the new one. I had to reconfigure mythtv to use /dev/video0 (as I'd been using udev to name the original device a /dev/HDPVR) but, unfortunately I wasn't able to record anything.

I then swapped the original HDPVR back and now I find that that one won't work either.

I could really do with some troubelshooting assistance, as I've tried everything I can thinkl of (cat /dev/video0 > test.ts results in an empty file)

Regards,

Dave.
Re: HDPVR - no longer recording! [ In reply to ]
On Sat, May 12, 2018, 4:04 AM Dave Pearson (Lists) <lists@the-pearsons.co.uk>
wrote:

> So, owing to the fact that they're getting a bit old and more difficult to
> find, I bought another HD-PVR from E-Bay.
>

> After it arrived I decided that I should test it, so I swapped all of the
> cables from my working HD-PVR and put them inm the new one. I had to
> reconfigure mythtv to use /dev/video0 (as I'd been using udev to name the
> original device a /dev/HDPVR) but, unfortunately I wasn't able to record
> anything.
>

> I then swapped the original HDPVR back and now I find that that one won't
> work either.
>

> I could really do with some troubelshooting assistance, as I've tried
> everything I can thinkl of (cat /dev/video0 > test.ts results in an empty
> file)
>

> Regards,
>
> Dave.

Was the original power supply used for both devices in your test?

Re: HDPVR - no longer recording! [ In reply to ]
Dave Pearson said:
> So, owing to the fact that they're getting a bit old and more difficult to find, I bought another HD-PVR from E-Bay.
>
> After it arrived I decided that I should test it, so I swapped all of the cables from my working HD-PVR and put them inm the new one. I had to reconfigure mythtv to use /dev/video0 (as I'd been using udev to name the original device a /dev/HDPVR) but, unfortunately I wasn't able to record anything.
>
> I then swapped the original HDPVR back and now I find that that one won't work either.
>
> I could really do with some troubelshooting assistance, as I've tried everything I can thinkl of (cat /dev/video0 > test.ts results in an empty file)

1) Check your power supply. The original ones that shipped with the HD-PVRs are notoriously finicky. They will sometimes work fine, then for no apparent reason will cause failed recordings or won't allow the HD-PVR to even power up; then just as mysteriously go back to being fine again for a while. I used to have all sorts of random failures on my recordings until I replaced the HD-PVR power supplies with 'beefier' replacement that were capable of supplying a slightly higher amperage load. No stability issues for several years since the power supply replacements.

2) Check your cabling. You moved stuff; are you sure you plugged everything back into the correct locations and they are firmly seated on _both_ ends? I recently replaced a dead cablebox connected to one of my HD-PVRs and it refused to record anything after the replacement. It would show up as my /dev/video* device, but attempting to record would result in a zero-byte file and the blue light on the top of the HD-PVR would never come on. Turns out I miss-wired the RCA cables on the back of the cablebox... swapped the component video 'Pr' (red) cable with the audio 'right' (red) cable. A bad video signal going into the HD-PVR will cause it to look like it's not doing anything.

Here's hoping this points you towards a solution,
Shawn
Re: HDPVR - no longer recording! [ In reply to ]
Yes, it's the same power supply in both cases and the module gets loaded OK.

Regards,

Dave.

MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: HDPVR - no longer recording! [ In reply to ]
Fixed it! Turned out that I had accidentally swapped the green and the blue video cables (I'm colour blind, so easily done). And the good news is that the new spare HDPVR also works!

Regards,

Dave.

Re: HDPVR - no longer recording! [ In reply to ]
On Sat, May 12, 2018 at 2:55 PM, Shawn Flynn <shawn@shawnflynn.com> wrote:
> 1) Check your power supply. The original ones that shipped with the HD-PVRs are notoriously finicky.

Many of them developed the excessive ripple disease(*) due to
their design points. The first thing to do when any consumer device
more than a few years old dies is try replacing the power supply
This is not unique to Hauppauge (they are just well known in
this community because they sell tuners). Many vendors ship
power supplies/bricks/wall_warts that fail after a few years(**).

(*) And you can only see the excessive ripple if you place
the device on your test bench under load. Just using a
typical consumer VOM to measure the voltage not under
load often shows you nothing of significance (and a lot of
cheap VOMs won't report the ripple even if the device is
under load). That is why it is just easier for most to try
with a different power supply.

(**) they saved a buck or so per supply, and that can
mean real money (depending on your volume). Of course,
if you actually *can* sell millions and millions, you can
negotiate with the big boys and get quality supplies for
a small premium over the crap, and some companies
will do that, but smaller vendors don't have that leverage,
and the difference in prices is higher.
Re: HDPVR - no longer recording! [ In reply to ]
On 05/12/2018 01:04 AM, Dave Pearson (Lists) wrote:
> So, owing to the fact that they're getting a bit old and more difficult
> to find, I bought another HD-PVR from E-Bay.
>

> After it arrived I decided that I should test it, so I swapped all of
> the cables from my working HD-PVR and put them inm the new one. I had to
> reconfigure mythtv to use /dev/video0 (as I'd been using udev to name
> the original device a /dev/HDPVR) but, unfortunately I wasn't able to
> record anything.
>

> I then swapped the original HDPVR back and now I find that that one
> won't work either.
>

> I could really do with some troubelshooting assistance, as I've tried
> everything I can thinkl of (cat /dev/video0 > test.ts results in an
> empty file)

Dave - I recently purchased one from eBay as well. Start by looking in
your system logs, something similar to:

[ 2.965688] hdpvr 4-1.5:1.0: firmware version 0x1e dated Mar 7 2012
08:25:15
[ 4.170912] hdpvr 4-1.5:1.0: device now attached to video3
[ 4.170947] usbcore: registered new interface driver hdpvr

This will give you the correct device. Next, you'll need to make sure
you (or the mythbackend) has permission to read from the device.
Finally, you may want to create some udev rules to you can have a
predictable device name. Try this page if you need more information:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Device_Filenames_and_udev

I also recommend making sure your HD-PVR has the "latest" firmware.