Mailing List Archive

tv tuner card for mythtv indian users
hi I’ve been using mythtv lately ,
but I could not figure out which tv tuner card would work for indian tv
channels, (tata sky) is our dth operator .
I own a laptop as well as desktop ,
so please suggest which tv tuner card should i buy from Amazon.in

I also would like to suggest beets ( a github project for music metadata
which uses a wide variety of sites to fetch metadata for music including
lyrics too,currently we just have
musicbrainz)

regards
kalim P
--
Regards,

Kalim M Puthawala
www.kalimPuthawala.in
Re: tv tuner card for mythtv indian users [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 12 May 2018 12:08:46 +0530, you wrote:

>hi I?ve been using mythtv lately ,
>but I could not figure out which tv tuner card would work for indian tv
>channels, (tata sky) is our dth operator .
>I own a laptop as well as desktop ,
>so please suggest which tv tuner card should i buy from Amazon.in
>
>I also would like to suggest beets ( a github project for music metadata
>which uses a wide variety of sites to fetch metadata for music including
>lyrics too,currently we just have
>musicbrainz)
>
>regards
>kalim P

The broadcasts are coming from satellites, so you would want DVB-S2
tuners for that. But since Tata Sky is a pay TV service, most
channels will be encrypted and you will not be able to record them
using MythTV directly. If their decoder boxes have outputs you can
use, then you may be able to record by getting MythTV to use an IR
blaster to tell the decoder to change channels, and record from its
HDMI or component video output. That is difficult to do, but there
are some people with MythTV setups like that.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: tv tuner card for mythtv indian users [ In reply to ]
Thanks Stephen , I would try that.

On Sat, 12 May 2018 at 4:48 PM, Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Sat, 12 May 2018 12:08:46 +0530, you wrote:
>
> >hi I’ve been using mythtv lately ,
> >but I could not figure out which tv tuner card would work for indian tv
> >channels, (tata sky) is our dth operator .
> >I own a laptop as well as desktop ,
> >so please suggest which tv tuner card should i buy from Amazon.in
> >
> >I also would like to suggest beets ( a github project for music metadata
> >which uses a wide variety of sites to fetch metadata for music including
> >lyrics too,currently we just have
> >musicbrainz)
> >
> >regards
> >kalim P
>
> The broadcasts are coming from satellites, so you would want DVB-S2
> tuners for that. But since Tata Sky is a pay TV service, most
> channels will be encrypted and you will not be able to record them
> using MythTV directly. If their decoder boxes have outputs you can
> use, then you may be able to record by getting MythTV to use an IR
> blaster to tell the decoder to change channels, and record from its
> HDMI or component video output. That is difficult to do, but there
> are some people with MythTV setups like that.
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users@mythtv.org
> http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
> http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
> MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
>
--
Regards,

Kalim M Puthawala
www.kalimPuthawala.in
Re: tv tuner card for mythtv indian users [ In reply to ]
On 05/12/2018 01:38 AM, kalim wrote:
> hi I’ve been using mythtv lately ,
> but I could not figure out which tv tuner card would work for indian
> tv channels, (tata sky) is our dth operator .
> I own a laptop as well as desktop ,
> so please suggest which tv tuner card should i buy from Amazon.in
I dont think the set top box has any component output so you will be
limited to using the composite port. The most stable card in my
experience is dual tuner Hauppauge PVR-500 card or cheaper single tuner
PVR-150 card. Unfortunately, these cards are PCI based. There is a more
recent card with PCIe support i.e. HVR-2200.  This card is bit picky on
the motherboard with which it will work.

These cards most likely will not be available on amazon.in, but you may
find them on ebay.co.uk. Be sure to get the PAL version of the card, as
these come in both NTSC and PAL varieties.

Rajil
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org