Mailing List Archive

HDMI
G'day all,

I have just been forced to upgrade due to a crashed disk and decided to
make a few changes.

I have managed to get everything working except audio.

Previously I had audio over spdif and video over hdmi, this restricted
the quality and channels I could have (I believe)

I now have audio and video over hdmi via an amp

mythtv ---> amp ---> sony tv

But I only get 2 channels.

When I select the audio in frontend setup it can see the Sony TV and
says it has two channels, which correct, but I thought it should see the
amp which has more.

Any ideas?

[root@mythtv ~]# aplay -l
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

[root@mythtv ~]# aplay -L
null
default:CARD=Intel
    HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
    Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=Intel
    HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
iec958:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC888 Digital
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=2
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output

[root@mythtv etc]# mythbackend --version
MythTV Version : v0.25.3-49-gb5adf03
MythTV Branch : fixes/0.25
Network Protocol : 72
Library API : 0.25.20130225-1
QT Version : 4.8.2
Options compiled in:
 linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_backend
using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php
using_crystalhd using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun
using_ceton using_hdpvr using_iptv using_ivtv using_joystick_menu
using_libcrypto using_libdns_sd using_libxml2 using_libudf using_lirc
using_mheg using_opengl_video using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus
using_v4l2 using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_bindings_perl
using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_mythtranscode
using_opengl using_vaapi using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_live
using_mheg using_libass using_libxml2 using_libudf

--
'ooroo

Stinga...(:)-)
Email: stinga+mythtv@wolf-rock.com o
You need only two tools. o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it /@ `\ /) ~
doesn't move and it should use > (O) X< ~ Fish!!
the hammer. If it moves and `\___/' \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape. \\\
Re: HDMI [ In reply to ]
On 11/05/2018 6:44 PM, stinga wrote:
> [...]
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>

> [root@mythtv ~]# aplay -L
> null
>     Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
> default:CARD=Intel
>     HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
>     Default Audio Device
> sysdefault:CARD=Intel
>     HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
>     Default Audio Device
> front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>     HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
>     Front speakers
> surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>     HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
>     4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
> surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>     HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
>     4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>     HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
>     5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
> surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>     HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
>     5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>     HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
>     7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
> iec958:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>     HDA Intel, ALC888 Digital
>     IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
> hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>     HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
>     HDMI Audio Output
> hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1
>     HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
>     HDMI Audio Output
> hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=2
>     HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
>     HDMI Audio Output
> hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
>     HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
>     HDMI Audio Output
>
> [root@mythtv etc]# mythbackend --version
> Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
> MythTV Version : v0.25.3-49-gb5adf03
> MythTV Branch : fixes/0.25
> Network Protocol : 72
> Library API : 0.25.20130225-1
> QT Version : 4.8.2
> Options compiled in:
>  linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_backend
> using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php
> using_crystalhd using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend
> using_hdhomerun using_ceton using_hdpvr using_iptv using_ivtv
> using_joystick_menu using_libcrypto using_libdns_sd using_libxml2
> using_libudf using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl_video using_qtwebkit
> using_qtscript using_qtdbus using_v4l2 using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv
> using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php
> using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vaapi using_vdpau
> using_ffmpeg_threads using_live using_mheg using_libass using_libxml2

Good evening,
I think I can help with this, there should be a setting in the amplifer
for the input that Myth is plugged into. This setting is for were the
audio is going to play from  eg the amplifer or TV. It looks like thee
amplifer is set to pass-throught the audio to the TV.

Chris
Re: HDMI [ In reply to ]
On 05/11/2018 04:44 AM, stinga wrote:
> When I select the audio in frontend setup it can see the Sony TV and
> says it has two channels, which correct, but I thought it should see
> the amp which has more.
>
> Any ideas?

Did you try all of the devices available? I am able to select 5 or 7
channels even on a TV that only has two speakers. You just need to
select the correct device from the myriad available, and select the
correct digital options in MythTV.

Peter
Re: HDMI [ In reply to ]
On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 3:45 AM stinga <stinga+mythtv@wolf-rock.com> wrote:

> G'day all,
>
> I have just been forced to upgrade due to a crashed disk and decided to
> make a few changes.
>
> I have managed to get everything working except audio.
>
> Previously I had audio over spdif and video over hdmi, this restricted
> the quality and channels I could have (I believe)
>
> I now have audio and video over hdmi via an amp
>
> mythtv ---> amp ---> sony tv
>
> But I only get 2 channels.

Are you using alsamixer? Did you go into it and make sure you changed the 2
channel to 6 channel?

http://about.me/adesai
Re: HDMI [ In reply to ]
On 11/05/18 09:44, stinga wrote:
> G'day all,
> I have just been forced to upgrade due to a crashed disk and decided
> to make a few changes.
> I have managed to get everything working except audio.
> Previously I had audio over spdif and video over hdmi, this restricted
> the quality and channels I could have (I believe)
> I now have audio and video over hdmi via an amp
> mythtv ---> amp ---> sony tv
> But I only get 2 channels.
> When I select the audio in frontend setup it can see the Sony TV and
> says it has two channels, which correct, but I thought it should see
> the amp which has more.
> Any ideas?

Turns out is was the tv that was causing the issue. I think I had some
sort of remote control enabled, where the TV could control the amp,
turned that off and it seems OK now.

amp was NOT set to pass through which I thought was going to be the
answer as well.