the episodes, I recorded, watched and deleted.  Two episodes, I recorded
, watched, and deleted and allow rerecord. When those episodes aired
again, MythTV rerecorded them.  I watched them and selected delete (no
rerecord).  However, every time those two episodes air again, MythTV
records them again.  Perhaps the delete (no rerecord) action fails to
clear any previously set allow rerecord flag?

Anyone else observe this kind of behavior?

Jay

Re: Delete and Allow Rerecord Issue [ In reply to ]
On 05/09/2018 03:26 PM, Jay Foster wrote:
> I'm using v0.28.2-1-g2d49bc1 on mythbuntu, and have noticed an issue
> (bug?) with the delete and allow rerecord feature.
>
> A couple of months ago I started recording a syndicated TV series. The
> station cycles through the season over and over, which is fine. Most
> of the episodes, I recorded, watched and deleted. Two episodes, I
> recorded , watched, and deleted and allow rerecord. When those
> episodes aired again, MythTV rerecorded them. I watched them and
> selected delete (no rerecord). However, every time those two episodes
> air again, MythTV records them again. Perhaps the delete (no rerecord)
> action fails to clear any previously set allow rerecord flag?
>
> Anyone else observe this kind of behavior?

The "allow rerecord" flag you mention is placed on the record specifying
when the episode was recorded--it's not some universal "allow rerecord"
flag as it only affects existing/previous recordings. Therefore, when
MythTV records the episode again, a new record is created showing it was
recorded. This record is created such that it is considered for
duplicate detection. Therefore, there is no way a past "delete and
allow rerecord" could affect a future recording.

Something else must be happening. Either the episode rerecords because
it being recorded using a rule that disables duplicate detection or
because it's a generic episode (and, therefore, isn't considered for
duplicate detection) or because it's not actually a match for the
recently-deleted-and-not-allow-rerecorded episode (different program ID
or slight changes to matching information) or ...

You can find more information about how duplicate detection works at
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Duplicate_matching and you might figure out
what's causing it to rerecord.

Mike
Re: Delete and Allow Rerecord Issue [ In reply to ]
On 5/10/2018 10:03 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 05/09/2018 03:26 PM, Jay Foster wrote:
>> I'm using v0.28.2-1-g2d49bc1 on mythbuntu, and have noticed an issue
>> (bug?) with the delete and allow rerecord feature.
>>
>> A couple of months ago I started recording a syndicated TV series.
>> The station cycles through the season over and over, which is fine.
>> Most of the episodes, I recorded, watched and deleted.  Two episodes,
>> I recorded , watched, and deleted and allow rerecord. When those
>> episodes aired again, MythTV rerecorded them.  I watched them and
>> selected delete (no rerecord).  However, every time those two
>> episodes air again, MythTV records them again. Perhaps the delete (no
>> rerecord) action fails to clear any previously set allow rerecord flag?
>>
>> Anyone else observe this kind of behavior?
>

> The "allow rerecord" flag you mention is placed on the record
> specifying when the episode was recorded--it's not some universal
> "allow rerecord" flag as it only affects existing/previous
> recordings.  Therefore, when MythTV records the episode again, a new
> record is created showing it was recorded.  This record is created
> such that it is considered for duplicate detection. Therefore, there
> is no way a past "delete and allow rerecord" could affect a future
> recording.
>
> Something else must be happening.  Either the episode rerecords
> because it being recorded using a rule that disables duplicate
> detection or because it's a generic episode (and, therefore, isn't
> considered for duplicate detection) or because it's not actually a
> match for the recently-deleted-and-not-allow-rerecorded episode
> (different program ID or slight changes to matching information) or ...
>
> You can find more information about how duplicate detection works at
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Duplicate_matching and you might figure
> out what's causing it to rerecord.
>
> Mike

I'm always glad Mike is on here.  He knows the stuff.

Could you possibly have created a few "record this episode" rules and
set them to ignore previous?  A quick scan through the Recording Rules
will show any spurious rules for that show.  Do you have other rules
based on Actors or other keywords that are coincidentally finding these
episodes?  Aside from something like that, I'm thinking these few
episodes are coincidentally "generic", as Mike suggests.
Re: Delete and Allow Rerecord Issue [ In reply to ]
On 05/12/2018 07:34 AM, K Stanton wrote:

> On 5/10/2018 10:03 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 05/09/2018 03:26 PM, Jay Foster wrote:
>>> I'm using v0.28.2-1-g2d49bc1 on mythbuntu, and have noticed an issue
>>> (bug?) with the delete and allow rerecord feature.
>>>
>>> A couple of months ago I started recording a syndicated TV series.
>>> The station cycles through the season over and over, which is fine.
>>> Most of the episodes, I recorded, watched and deleted.  Two
>>> episodes, I recorded , watched, and deleted and allow rerecord. When
>>> those episodes aired again, MythTV rerecorded them.  I watched them
>>> and selected delete (no rerecord).  However, every time those two
>>> episodes air again, MythTV records them again. Perhaps the delete
>>> (no rerecord) action fails to clear any previously set allow
>>> rerecord flag?
>>>
>>> Anyone else observe this kind of behavior?
>>

>> The "allow rerecord" flag you mention is placed on the record
>> specifying when the episode was recorded--it's not some universal
>> "allow rerecord" flag as it only affects existing/previous
>> recordings.  Therefore, when MythTV records the episode again, a new
>> record is created showing it was recorded.  This record is created
>> such that it is considered for duplicate detection. Therefore, there
>> is no way a past "delete and allow rerecord" could affect a future
>> recording.
>>
>> Something else must be happening.  Either the episode rerecords
>> because it being recorded using a rule that disables duplicate
>> detection or because it's a generic episode (and, therefore, isn't
>> considered for duplicate detection) or because it's not actually a
>> match for the recently-deleted-and-not-allow-rerecorded episode
>> (different program ID or slight changes to matching information) or ...
>>
>> You can find more information about how duplicate detection works at
>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Duplicate_matching and you might figure
>> out what's causing it to rerecord.
>>
>> Mike
>>
> I'm always glad Mike is on here.  He knows the stuff.
>
> Could you possibly have created a few "record this episode" rules and
> set them to ignore previous?  A quick scan through the Recording Rules
> will show any spurious rules for that show.  Do you have other rules
> based on Actors or other keywords that are coincidentally finding
> these episodes?  Aside from something like that, I'm thinking these
> few episodes are coincidentally "generic", as Mike suggests.

No, just one recording rule (any time, any channel).  The listings data
match what was previously recorded.  They are complete with
season/episode number, episode sub title, and description.  They are not
generic listings.  I am stumped as to why this happens.

It is not that big of a deal, since it is easy enough to delete the
re-recordings.  It just seems like something not working as it should
somewhere.

Re: Delete and Allow Rerecord Issue [ In reply to ]
On 05/12/2018 04:53 PM, Jay Foster wrote:
> No, just one recording rule (any time, any channel). The listings data
> match what was previously recorded. They are complete with
> season/episode number, episode sub title, and description. They are
> not generic listings. I am stumped as to why this happens.
>
> It is not that big of a deal, since it is easy enough to delete the
> re-recordings. It just seems like something not working as it should
> somewhere.

All of that--season/episode number, episode subtitle, description--is
ignored if there's a program ID, as described on the duplicate matching
wiki page I referenced. Is that also the same? Sometimes re-runs get
different program IDs from the earlier airings because they're slightly
modified versions of the same episode (i.e. they cut out a little bit
from an episode that ran in an "extended" time slot--like a 31 or 32min
show versus a normal 30 min--or even editing changes). Those will be
recorded as new because they are, in fact, different episodes from the
one you previously recorded.

Mike