Mailing List Archive

Fanless Nvidia GT430 or similar?
The GT430 on my parents primary frontend (that drives their Samsung
8500 series 1080p plasma) recently died (it had a fan, my guess is the
fan died as the card was several years old).

One option might be to replace the fan, if the chip itself isn't
damaged, however I'm also wondering if there are possibly any newer,
better?, video cards that can perform as well if not better than the
old 430's (as far as deinterlacing and picture quality) that might
also be fanless?
Or if anyone knows of a source of fanless GT430's?

thanks!

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!
Re: Fanless Nvidia GT430 or similar? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 7 May 2018 08:58:06 -0400, you wrote:

>The GT430 on my parents primary frontend (that drives their Samsung
>8500 series 1080p plasma) recently died (it had a fan, my guess is the
>fan died as the card was several years old).
>
>One option might be to replace the fan, if the chip itself isn't
>damaged, however I'm also wondering if there are possibly any newer,
>better?, video cards that can perform as well if not better than the
>old 430's (as far as deinterlacing and picture quality) that might
>also be fanless?
>Or if anyone knows of a source of fanless GT430's?
>
>thanks!

I have not looked at the GT430 specs, but I would think that a fanless
GT 1030 would likely be more capable. It does 4K, as well as all that
is needed for MythTV.

Chances are that the fan stopping will have fried the chip on the GT
430. It is hard to shut down a chip quickly enough to prevent thermal
runaway.

The cheapest thing to try is not to replace the fan, but just to lift
the label in the centre and see if you can see the bearing. If so,
then add a drop or two of proper light machine oil eg sewing machine
oil. You may need to take the fan off if the label is on the under
side of the fan.

Do not use a vegetable based oil like 3-in-one - that attracts dust
and gums up. Rotate the fan manually and see if it will turn
properly. It may feel as though it is resisting and releasing as it
turns and the magnets line up with the coils. That is OK, but if the
force required is much higher at one point, the fan is probably not
going to work. If the force required is the same at all points of
resistance, then try firing up the card again.

You should regularly do the same procedure to oil all older PC fans.
It helps to give them a much longer life. Although I have never done
it with a CPU fan - they seem to be different and last much better.
But the other fans (case fans in particular) do need it.
Re: Fanless Nvidia GT430 or similar? [ In reply to ]
On 05/07/2018 06:19 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Mon, 7 May 2018 08:58:06 -0400, you wrote:
>
>> Or if anyone knows of a source of fanless GT430's?
>>
>> thanks!
> I have not looked at the GT430 specs, but I would think that a fanless
> GT 1030 would likely be more capable. It does 4K, as well as all that
> is needed for MythTV.

I'm not sure what slot you need, I'm using a PCIE16x. Last year I
purchased a fanless GeForce GT 710 that only needed a single PCIE slot.
This card cannot do 4K/UHD, but I supported still supported by the
closed-source NVidia driver. The cost was around $60 US at the time.

Re: Fanless Nvidia GT430 or similar? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 12:22 AM, Bob <mythtv@cox.net> wrote:
> On 05/07/2018 06:19 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 7 May 2018 08:58:06 -0400, you wrote:
>>
>>> Or if anyone knows of a source of fanless GT430's?
>>>
>>> thanks!
>>
>> I have not looked at the GT430 specs, but I would think that a fanless
>> GT 1030 would likely be more capable. It does 4K, as well as all that
>> is needed for MythTV.
>

> I'm not sure what slot you need, I'm using a PCIE16x. Last year I purchased
> a fanless GeForce GT 710 that only needed a single PCIE slot. This card
> cannot do 4K/UHD, but I supported still supported by the closed-source
> NVidia driver. The cost was around $60 US at the time.

Thanks for the responses all!

He opened up the machine and we found out (or he remembered now?) that
he had upgraded the card almost 2yrs ago to a GT730

https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForce-Express-Graphics-ZT-71115-20L/dp/B00NN97MMY

Which besides being fanless, and apparently dying after a couple
years, did work quite well for him. Since he's not at a 4k tv yet
we'll just buy another of the same and hope it lasts a little longer
this time.

Thanks!