Mailing List Archive

Biting the bullet...new frontend recommendations
Astonishingly I've been using an x86 Dell 4700C small form factor
(running Gentoo) as a frontend for over 11 years, and it's worked
amazingly well. I even managed to find perhaps the only nVidia GT 430
card ever made that actually works in it's older PCI-E 1.0 slot. That
gets me reliable advanced 2x deinterlacing on 1080i OTA content and
HDMI audio etc. I was even able to get myself a replacement 4700C
cheap at one point. Today the motherboard on the one I was using died.
Lucky I had that spare and switched it out so we're back in business.

I'm thinking it's finally time to bite the bullet and think about
building a new frontend, so I can take my time as apposed to getting
stuck having to build one in a hurry. I'm still using mostly old
hardware around here and frankly it's been forever since I've bought
any computer at all. In every way imaginable I don't know where to
start. I'm hoping for some recommendations. Here's essentially what
I'm looking for:

1. I'm looking for a really good frontend and not necessarily
something cheap. Something with a smaller form factor might be nice
but I don't want to limit myself because of that.

2. While I've done things like replacing PC motherboards etc I've
never built my own system from parts. I'm not completely adverse to
the possibility of building something but also not crazy about it.

3. I'm definitely not hung up on the idea of a fanless system or the
like...in fact I'm not sure I even trust them. I've had no problem
with my existing system with fan on both the CPU and the nVidia card.

4. I'd like an nVidia card using HDMI at least capable of advanced 2x
deinterlacing as I'm currently getting. The GT 430 I have however has
a limit on the output resolution and can't play 4K video for example.
I currently have an LG OLED TV so I'd like to be able to play 4K if
possible.

5. I only need a wired NIC...no need nor desire for wireless.

6. Built in audio shouldn't make any difference as I'd be using HDMI
only, and I'd assume that would just be done via the nVidia card.

7. Ideally I'd like to have maybe a TB of disk just to have room for
extra videos.

8. I'm also obviously concerned about the possibility of non-Linux
compatible hardware of course. I'll be building whatever I get with
Gentoo so I should have a very modern kernel etc.

I think that about covers it. Another thing is that I have no clue
*where* to buy anything anymore. At one point I used newegg a lot, but
they seem to have turned into ebay/amazon. Do they even actually sell
anything themselves anymore? At one point I recall they had an option
to shop "only newegg" as apposed to buying from who-known-who and I
don't even see that anymore.

Thanks in advance!
Tom
Re: Biting the bullet...new frontend recommendations [ In reply to ]
On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 2:56 PM Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Astonishingly I've been using an x86 Dell 4700C small form factor
> (running Gentoo) as a frontend for over 11 years, and it's worked
> amazingly well. I even managed to find perhaps the only nVidia GT 430
> card ever made that actually works in it's older PCI-E 1.0 slot. That
> gets me reliable advanced 2x deinterlacing on 1080i OTA content and
> HDMI audio etc. I was even able to get myself a replacement 4700C
> cheap at one point. Today the motherboard on the one I was using died.
> Lucky I had that spare and switched it out so we're back in business.
>
> I'm thinking it's finally time to bite the bullet and think about
> building a new frontend, so I can take my time as apposed to getting
> stuck having to build one in a hurry. I'm still using mostly old
> hardware around here and frankly it's been forever since I've bought
> any computer at all. In every way imaginable I don't know where to
> start. I'm hoping for some recommendations. Here's essentially what
> I'm looking for:
>
> 1. I'm looking for a really good frontend and not necessarily
> something cheap. Something with a smaller form factor might be nice
> but I don't want to limit myself because of that.
>
> 2. While I've done things like replacing PC motherboards etc I've
> never built my own system from parts. I'm not completely adverse to
> the possibility of building something but also not crazy about it.
>
> 3. I'm definitely not hung up on the idea of a fanless system or the
> like...in fact I'm not sure I even trust them. I've had no problem
> with my existing system with fan on both the CPU and the nVidia card.
>
> 4. I'd like an nVidia card using HDMI at least capable of advanced 2x
> deinterlacing as I'm currently getting. The GT 430 I have however has
> a limit on the output resolution and can't play 4K video for example.
> I currently have an LG OLED TV so I'd like to be able to play 4K if
> possible.
>
> 5. I only need a wired NIC...no need nor desire for wireless.
>
> 6. Built in audio shouldn't make any difference as I'd be using HDMI
> only, and I'd assume that would just be done via the nVidia card.
>
> 7. Ideally I'd like to have maybe a TB of disk just to have room for
> extra videos.
>
> 8. I'm also obviously concerned about the possibility of non-Linux
> compatible hardware of course. I'll be building whatever I get with
> Gentoo so I should have a very modern kernel etc.
>
> I think that about covers it. Another thing is that I have no clue
> *where* to buy anything anymore. At one point I used newegg a lot, but
> they seem to have turned into ebay/amazon. Do they even actually sell
> anything themselves anymore? At one point I recall they had an option
> to shop "only newegg" as apposed to buying from who-known-who and I
> don't even see that anymore.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Tom

If you've replaced motherboards, then you've pretty much done the whole
build. Every time I make a machine I stress about it and every time it
works out. You just need alone time to work on it. Newegg has PC building
videos on YouTube.

I recommend https://pcpartpicker.com/

You make an account there and pick your poison across the board. It has
price comparisons and some user reviews on the parts. I can't recommend it
enough. When you're ready to purchase, you can price shop with various
merchants. You can save the build and share the link with the list if you
want!

I stuck with B&H Photo and Video, Newegg and Amazon. There are several
others but I was wary of possible returns. I built this machine in October
and it couldn't have been smoother. Sometimes, it doesn't work and you
have to be prepared to send things back, but if you have the time, you can
deal with the issues. Amazon was easy to deal with when I had a
motherboard issue a few years ago. Newegg is pretty good, too, and they
even worked with me when an item was marked as non-refundable. They gave
me a store credit when I complained via online chat customer service. I'm
pretty sure everything I got was from Newegg as it all came together in one
box. B&H Photo and Video really went the extra mile when I had issues and
I had to return my Blu-Ray drive several times, eventually exchanging and
upgrading to a different model altogether. They didn't even blink and gave
me the return period as if I bought it for the Christmas holiday. They
don't have that much tech stuff -- they sell mostly photographic equipment
-- but I will buy from them again without hesitation.

I've had pretty good luck with my components. I usually go with ASUS for
Intel motherboards (I have had good luck with the longevity of ASUS boards)
and EVGA for nVidia video cards (they usually have a 3 year warranty). I
have been using Samsung EVO SSDs and have had luck so far (knocking on
wooden desk). I think they usually have 5 year warranties. I figure those
can go bad so I try to get the longest warranty possible so I can exchange
it. I switched from Seagate to WD Red drives, and I guess that's a good
thing, but hell, who really knows with standard hard drives. If you're
just talking about a frontend, maybe you could just go SSD. They keep
getting cheaper and the speed is worth it. You could even try one of the
M2 drives but that may be overkill. I hear they are seriously fast though
and they're not all that much more. I grabbed a 256 GB M2 on my October
shopping spree and haven't plugged it in yet on this machine -- I just run
on a 128 GB standard SSD. Or you could try a hybrid hard drive. I don't
know much about those.

I hear talk that AMD Radeon cards work much better in Linux since the
drivers are open source. I've had nVidia cards for years and things work
pretty well. I'll let someone else chime in on that issue.

Wired NIC should be on the motherboard. I'm with you on the fans. I don't
think that video cards really make that much noise when processing video.
It's when you play a game that they take off. I'd rather have fans myself.

I can't help you with the small form factor. I put everything in a black
tower case and stick it next to the television. I only have the BE/FE
machine. I like the flexibility of the ATX form factor.

I have a pretty new motherboard on this machine with a i7-8700k. I'm
pretty sure I can't do everything I could in Windows (like the SSD caching
for one) but I don't have any problems that I'm aware of. I can't change
the colors of the RGB lights (and I don't care) that glow through the case
(they came with the motherboard -- they weren't a priority) but I can turn
them off and I will when I migrate this machine and retire my old backend
down the road. New hardware is pretty slick -- I can update the BIOS
version by entering the BIOS at boot time and flash it after it downloads
from the internet. Maybe not a selling point but it saved me a few
minutes. New hardware is cool.

Well, I rambled on enough I think. I hope some of that helps!

Jerry
Re: Biting the bullet...new frontend recommendations [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 6 May 2018 14:55:05 -0400, you wrote:

>4. I'd like an nVidia card using HDMI at least capable of advanced 2x
>deinterlacing as I'm currently getting. The GT 430 I have however has
>a limit on the output resolution and can't play 4K video for example.
>I currently have an LG OLED TV so I'd like to be able to play 4K if
>possible.

The only good option for an Nvidia card that does 4K is the 1030
models. The others draw far too much power - they are set up for
gaming. A fanless 1030 would likely be the best idea. Fans are a
component that die earlier than anything else, unless you do annual
maintenance on them, which is a pain. I think all of them on sale
should be PCI 3.0 models. You want a motherboard that is PCI 3.0 if
you buy now, as that will last longer into the future.
Re: Biting the bullet...new frontend recommendations [ In reply to ]
> On Sun, 6 May 2018 14:55:05 -0400, you wrote:
>
>> 4. I'd like an nVidia card using HDMI at least capable of advanced 2x
>> deinterlacing as I'm currently getting. The GT 430 I have however has
>> a limit on the output resolution and can't play 4K video for example.
>> I currently have an LG OLED TV so I'd like to be able to play 4K if
>> possible.
>
> The only good option for an Nvidia card that does 4K is the 1030
> models. The others draw far too much power - they are set up for
> gaming. A fanless 1030 would likely be the best idea. Fans are a
> component that die earlier than anything else, unless you do annual
> maintenance on them, which is a pain. I think all of them on sale
> should be PCI 3.0 models. You want a motherboard that is PCI 3.0 if
> you buy now, as that will last longer into the future.

[slightly OT]

I am also looking for a card. Is there information of power usage for this
(and maybe other) cards? Especially when "idle", as this is what it would
do most of the time (this is for an always on machine). Not used for gaming.

--
Eyal at Home (eyal@eyal.emu.id.au)
Re: Biting the bullet...new frontend recommendations [ In reply to ]
On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 8:42 PM, Jerry <mythtv@hambone.e4ward.com> wrote:

> Well, I rambled on enough I think. I hope some of that helps!
>
> Jerry

All very great info for sure! Thanks! I'll definitely check out that
pcpartpicker.com for sure.

Tom
Re: Biting the bullet...new frontend recommendations [ In reply to ]
On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 9:13 PM, Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
> On Sun, 6 May 2018 14:55:05 -0400, you wrote:
>
>>4. I'd like an nVidia card using HDMI at least capable of advanced 2x
>>deinterlacing as I'm currently getting. The GT 430 I have however has
>>a limit on the output resolution and can't play 4K video for example.
>>I currently have an LG OLED TV so I'd like to be able to play 4K if
>>possible.
>
> The only good option for an Nvidia card that does 4K is the 1030
> models. The others draw far too much power - they are set up for
> gaming. A fanless 1030 would likely be the best idea. Fans are a
> component that die earlier than anything else, unless you do annual
> maintenance on them, which is a pain. I think all of them on sale
> should be PCI 3.0 models. You want a motherboard that is PCI 3.0 if
> you buy now, as that will last longer into the future.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. The 4K support was sort of a
like-to-have...sounds like it's asking more than I realized. I'll
definitely keep the 1030s in mind.

Yea, I've actually changed fans on that PNY GT 430 several times. I
actually have a GPU temporature monitor script I wrote in perl (that
uses nvidia-smi) running all the time in the background to alert me
with mythtv notifications if the temp gets unexpectedly high. I tend
to trust the ones with fans more, but do the fanless models really
cool sufficiently? It would be nice to not have to screw with those
anymore.

Thanks!
Tom
Re: Biting the bullet...new frontend recommendations [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 7 May 2018 09:17:24 -0400, you wrote:

>On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 9:13 PM, Stephen Worthington
><stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>> On Sun, 6 May 2018 14:55:05 -0400, you wrote:
>>
>>>4. I'd like an nVidia card using HDMI at least capable of advanced 2x
>>>deinterlacing as I'm currently getting. The GT 430 I have however has
>>>a limit on the output resolution and can't play 4K video for example.
>>>I currently have an LG OLED TV so I'd like to be able to play 4K if
>>>possible.
>>
>> The only good option for an Nvidia card that does 4K is the 1030
>> models. The others draw far too much power - they are set up for
>> gaming. A fanless 1030 would likely be the best idea. Fans are a
>> component that die earlier than anything else, unless you do annual
>> maintenance on them, which is a pain. I think all of them on sale
>> should be PCI 3.0 models. You want a motherboard that is PCI 3.0 if
>> you buy now, as that will last longer into the future.
>
>Interesting. Thanks for the info. The 4K support was sort of a
>like-to-have...sounds like it's asking more than I realized. I'll
>definitely keep the 1030s in mind.
>
>Yea, I've actually changed fans on that PNY GT 430 several times. I
>actually have a GPU temporature monitor script I wrote in perl (that
>uses nvidia-smi) running all the time in the background to alert me
>with mythtv notifications if the temp gets unexpectedly high. I tend
>to trust the ones with fans more, but do the fanless models really
>cool sufficiently? It would be nice to not have to screw with those
>anymore.

I have used only two fanless Nvidia cards, but that is because they
have lasted so long and are still going. I think they last much
longer than the fan variety, as the fan stopping, even for a moment,
usually kills the chip. The Asus Bravo 220 in my main MythTV box was
bought on 20-Sep-2010 and has been in 24/7 use since then. The Asus
EN8400GS SILENT/HTP/512M in my Windows 7 box was bought on 22-May-2009
and is still going just fine, running 24/7 since then.

There is no need for a card with a fan for MythTV - you only need a
higher power card for gaming or 3D graphics. The fanless ones are a
much better idea if you do not need the extra GPU power.
Re: Biting the bullet...new frontend recommendations [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 9:47 AM, Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
> On Mon, 7 May 2018 09:17:24 -0400, you wrote:
>
>>On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 9:13 PM, Stephen Worthington
>><stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

>>> The only good option for an Nvidia card that does 4K is the 1030
>>> models. The others draw far too much power - they are set up for
>>> gaming. A fanless 1030 would likely be the best idea. Fans are a
>>> component that die earlier than anything else, unless you do annual
>>> maintenance on them, which is a pain. I think all of them on sale
>>> should be PCI 3.0 models. You want a motherboard that is PCI 3.0 if
>>> you buy now, as that will last longer into the future.
>>
>>Interesting. Thanks for the info. The 4K support was sort of a
>>like-to-have...sounds like it's asking more than I realized. I'll
>>definitely keep the 1030s in mind.
>>
>>Yea, I've actually changed fans on that PNY GT 430 several times. I
>>actually have a GPU temporature monitor script I wrote in perl (that
>>uses nvidia-smi) running all the time in the background to alert me
>>with mythtv notifications if the temp gets unexpectedly high. I tend
>>to trust the ones with fans more, but do the fanless models really
>>cool sufficiently? It would be nice to not have to screw with those
>>anymore.
>
> I have used only two fanless Nvidia cards, but that is because they
> have lasted so long and are still going. I think they last much
> longer than the fan variety, as the fan stopping, even for a moment,
> usually kills the chip. The Asus Bravo 220 in my main MythTV box was
> bought on 20-Sep-2010 and has been in 24/7 use since then. The Asus
> EN8400GS SILENT/HTP/512M in my Windows 7 box was bought on 22-May-2009
> and is still going just fine, running 24/7 since then.
>
> There is no need for a card with a fan for MythTV - you only need a
> higher power card for gaming or 3D graphics. The fanless ones are a
> much better idea if you do not need the extra GPU power.

That makes sense. I think I'll go that route for sure. My choices were
a bit limited when I got the card I have in my existing frontend in
part because it needed a small form factor / low profile card which is
generally not big enough for a suitable heatsink I think.

Thanks!
Tom
Re: Biting the bullet...new frontend recommendations [ In reply to ]
[...]
> There is no need for a card with a fan for MythTV - you only need a
> higher power card for gaming or 3D graphics. The fanless ones are a
> much better idea if you do not need the extra GPU power.

Yeah, I don't game and I've stuck to fanless GPUs since the GPU fan was
the first thing to fail on my very first computer.

On the other hand, I have also been looking to upgrade my 10-year old
frontends to do 4k (and someday, if it's possible on Linux, HDR). On
Windows, madVR seems to be the best video renderer, and that can
apparently make use of as much GPU power as you throw at it. I have no
idea whether something like that will eventually be available on Linux,
but it may be something to think about.

--
Gregorio Gervasio Jr. gregorio.gervasio@gmail.com
GPG: 11A0 12AB 68F5 80D7 088E C423 FA12 5EF9 DF30 192D
Re: Biting the bullet...new frontend recommendations [ In reply to ]
Hi Tom!

> I'm thinking it's finally time to bite the bullet and think about
> building a new frontend,
I'll pretty much agree with Jerry's response as  'just about anything
works' though have staid with Intel and nVidia as they seem to be better
supported -- both by Linux and them supporting/cooperating with Linux.
I've built and in some cases rebuilt several Frontends over the years.
Probably sounds like a dumb comment but the CPU speed does make a
difference, not in video playback but in 'reaction time': the time it
takes to load a new show (not to mention boot!).  Probably don't need
anything more than a good dual core.  For memory it seems 2 GB is right
for a dedicated Frontend.  Now if you are planning to use the Frontend
as an auxiliary computer for mail, etc., I'd go with a more robust
system (and I have here).

FWIW as a 'spare' Frontend you could go with a Raspberry Pi 3 B+.  Here
I use an RPi 3B as a secondary Frontend (I have two Backends and some
FEs look at one and others the second. Pixellation issues; sometimes one
BE records properly and sometimes the other does.)  Anyway the little
ol' RPi does great as a Frontend.  There is a bit of a lag while loading
but AFACT 1080 stereo playback is flawless.  In some ways the RPi works
better than the desktop FE it sits next to.  Here I did find the WiFi
connection was borderline, but as you stated you were using a wired
connection that's not an issue.  If you decide to try this option I
would suggest getting the newer RPI 3B+ which is a little bit faster
plus offers 5GHz wireless.

Barry
Re: Biting the bullet...new frontend recommendations [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 7:57 PM, Barry Martin <barry3martin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Tom!
>
> I'm thinking it's finally time to bite the bullet and think about
> building a new frontend,
>
> I'll pretty much agree with Jerry's response as 'just about anything works'
> though have staid with Intel and nVidia as they seem to be better supported
> -- both by Linux and them supporting/cooperating with Linux. I've built and
> in some cases rebuilt several Frontends over the years. Probably sounds
> like a dumb comment but the CPU speed does make a difference, not in video
> playback but in 'reaction time': the time it takes to load a new show (not
> to mention boot!). Probably don't need anything more than a good dual core.
> For memory it seems 2 GB is right for a dedicated Frontend. Now if you are
> planning to use the Frontend as an auxiliary computer for mail, etc., I'd go
> with a more robust system (and I have here).
>
> FWIW as a 'spare' Frontend you could go with a Raspberry Pi 3 B+. Here I
> use an RPi 3B as a secondary Frontend (I have two Backends and some FEs look
> at one and others the second. Pixellation issues; sometimes one BE records
> properly and sometimes the other does.) Anyway the little ol' RPi does
> great as a Frontend. There is a bit of a lag while loading but AFACT 1080
> stereo playback is flawless. In some ways the RPi works better than the
> desktop FE it sits next to. Here I did find the WiFi connection was
> borderline, but as you stated you were using a wired connection that's not
> an issue. If you decide to try this option I would suggest getting the
> newer RPI 3B+ which is a little bit faster plus offers 5GHz wireless.
>
> Barry

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've seen a lot mentioned here about
the RPI and had never really looked into it at all. Interesting that
it plays 1080 well. I see that they have only their own built in
graphics of course. I'm assuming all the decoding and deinterlacing is
done with the CPU? What deinterlacing do you use for 1080i?

Thanks!
Tom
Re: Biting the bullet...new frontend recommendations [ In reply to ]
On 2018-05-08 06:41 AM, Tom Dexter wrote:

> Thanks for all the suggestions! I've seen a lot mentioned here about
> the RPI and had never really looked into it at all. Interesting that
> it plays 1080 well. I see that they have only their own built in
> graphics of course. I'm assuming all the decoding and deinterlacing is
> done with the CPU? What deinterlacing do you use for 1080i?
>
> Thanks!
> Tom

The Raspberry Pi can use the GPU for decoding if one purchases and
installs the MPEG2 license key.

For newer MythTV (e.g., 0.29) releases see:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

If you are running the older MythTV 0.27 release (which I'm still using)
then see also:

Setting Up an Inexpensive Raspberry Pi 2 as a Cheap Frontend to MythTV
with MythFrontend
http://gedakc.users.sourceforge.net/display-doc.php?name=pvr-rpi-mythtv-frontend

Curtis
Re: Biting the bullet...new frontend recommendations [ In reply to ]
On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 4:21 PM, Curtis Gedak <gedakc@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2018-05-08 06:41 AM, Tom Dexter wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for all the suggestions! I've seen a lot mentioned here about
>> the RPI and had never really looked into it at all. Interesting that
>> it plays 1080 well. I see that they have only their own built in
>> graphics of course. I'm assuming all the decoding and deinterlacing is
>> done with the CPU? What deinterlacing do you use for 1080i?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Tom
>

> The Raspberry Pi can use the GPU for decoding if one purchases and
> installs the MPEG2 license key.
>
> For newer MythTV (e.g., 0.29) releases see:
>
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi
>

> If you are running the older MythTV 0.27 release (which I'm still using)
> then see also:
>
> Setting Up an Inexpensive Raspberry Pi 2 as a Cheap Frontend to MythTV
> with MythFrontend
> http://gedakc.users.sourceforge.net/display-doc.php?name=pvr-rpi-mythtv-frontend
>
> Curtis

Thanks! The thing about lack of subtitles with the MPEG2 license is
disappointing for sure.

Thanks again.
Tom
Re: Biting the bullet...new frontend recommendations [ In reply to ]
On 05/08/2018 08:41 AM, Tom Dexter wrote:
> Thanks for all the suggestions! I've seen a lot mentioned here about
> the RPI and had never really looked into it at all. Interesting that
> it plays 1080 well. I see that they have only their own built in
> graphics of course. I'm assuming all the decoding and deinterlacing is
> done with the CPU? What deinterlacing do you use for 1080i?
Decoding and deinterlacing are done in the GPU. It supports advanced
deinterlacing in the GPU so in that regard it is better than most. As
far as subtitles are concerned, I believe it is only USA broadcast
subtitles that do not work. You can run a job after recording to extract
the subtitles to a file and then the raspberry pi can show them. This
does not work for LiveTV, obviously, because the subtitles will only be
available after completion of recording and running the job.

Peter
Re: Biting the bullet...new frontend recommendations [ In reply to ]
I'd second the Raspberry Pi.  I set up a R Pi 3 a few month ago as a
remote frontend.  I spent more time getting the backend configured for
the remote frontend, and futzing with the mysql situation than setting
up the R Pi.  I watched a lot of the Olympics on it.  In panning
sequences I do notice some non-fluidity, but I notice things like that
from the GT630 in my main FE/BE system.

Depending on your time and money situation, you might just want to spend
$80 to experiment with one.

Re: Biting the bullet...new frontend recommendations [ In reply to ]
On 09/05/18 03:18, K Stanton wrote:
> I'd second the Raspberry Pi.  I set up a R Pi 3 a few month ago as a
> remote frontend.  I spent more time getting the backend configured for
> the remote frontend, and futzing with the mysql situation than setting
> up the R Pi.  I watched a lot of the Olympics on it.  In panning
> sequences I do notice some non-fluidity, but I notice things like that
> from the GT630 in my main FE/BE system.
>
> Depending on your time and money situation, you might just want to spend
> $80 to experiment with one.

And the fanless nvidia GT710 PCIe cards, from about 30 GBP, seem good to
me unless you really want 4K. Mine drives HD TV via HDMI and a monitor
on VGA. Panning shots aren't quite as solid as I can get via DLNA but
the controllability is much better.
Re: Biting the bullet...new frontend recommendations [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 3:32 AM, John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/05/18 03:18, K Stanton wrote:
>>
>> I'd second the Raspberry Pi. I set up a R Pi 3 a few month ago as a
>> remote frontend. I spent more time getting the backend configured for the
>> remote frontend, and futzing with the mysql situation than setting up the R
>> Pi. I watched a lot of the Olympics on it. In panning sequences I do
>> notice some non-fluidity, but I notice things like that from the GT630 in my
>> main FE/BE system.
>>
>> Depending on your time and money situation, you might just want to spend
>> $80 to experiment with one.
>>

> And the fanless nvidia GT710 PCIe cards, from about 30 GBP, seem good to me
> unless you really want 4K. Mine drives HD TV via HDMI and a monitor on VGA.
> Panning shots aren't quite as solid as I can get via DLNA but the
> controllability is much better.

Thanks for all the replies! If / when I actually put a new frontend
together I might look into the RPI as a backup if nothing else.

I was actually able to find a motherboard so I can resurrect the spare
for my existing frontend, which I'll do for now in any case. I surely
can't get away with that forever, but it sure is nice while I can.
That frontend works great for me and in the event of a failure I swap
the drive into the other and I'm back in business in 15 minutes.

Thanks again!
Tom
Re: Biting the bullet...new frontend recommendations [ In reply to ]
> On May 8, 2018, at 9:18 PM, K Stanton <stantonx@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> I'd second the Raspberry Pi. I set up a R Pi 3 a few month ago as a remote frontend. I spent more time getting the backend configured for the remote frontend, and futzing with the mysql situation than setting up the R Pi. I watched a lot of the Olympics on it. In panning sequences I do notice some non-fluidity, but I notice things like that from the GT630 in my main FE/BE system.
>
> Depending on your time and money situation, you might just want to spend $80 to experiment with one.

Question: Does the RPi have the ability to PXE/network boot? If so, these can probably be a really tiny and eco-friendly minimyth2 frontend.

Mike
Re: Biting the bullet...new frontend recommendations [ In reply to ]
> Question: Does the RPi have the ability to PXE/network boot? If so, these can probably be a really tiny and eco-friendly minimyth2 frontend.

Yes, they can network boot.