Are these things any good? Are they reliable?

I've said for a while that I'm still looking for an ondemand streaming
solution that can play media from a network share too (no, please NOT the
mess they call K***) but while I'm waiting we might as well continue to
record what we want to watch on demand & enjoy everything from the same UI

I'm looking forward to finally being able to record HD - without having to
resort to clunky drivers or USB sticks dangling from the back, or paying
£££ for a clunky unintuitive piece of rubbish 'Freeview DVR' :)
Re: Any UK HDHR users here? [ In reply to ]
Not cheap, but the Dogs bo**ocks as far as I'm concerned.

https://www.tbsdtv.com/products/tbs6205_dvb_t2_quad_tuner_pcie_card.html

Rock solid reliable in a 24/7 server for about 4 or 5 years.

Re: Any UK HDHR users here? [ In reply to ]
Ah well.

I did say I only had one PCIe slot.. and it's occupied by something from
nvidia :)

£140ish for a quad tuner DVB-T2 card isn't too bad but I'd have to replace
the mainboard (and probably the CPU) to be able to use it.

Are there good open source drivers for it? I'm not overly concerned but I
prefer drivers for stuff to be in kernel. I started out having to patch &
build my own kernel & I'd love to think those days are behind me.

I'm guessing the lack of other replies here means there aren't any UK HDHR
paying attention to this list. If multirec works - great - if not, no big
deal.

Cheers!
Re: Any UK HDHR users here? [ In reply to ]
It's in mainline now as far as I know, I haven't had to compile a
driver for probably 2 years now (although my main server doesn't get
kernel changed very often).

Re: Any UK HDHR users here? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2018-04-11 at 14:52 +0100, Another Sillyname wrote:
> It's in mainline now as far as I know, I haven't had to compile a
> driver for probably 2 years now (although my main server doesn't get
> kernel changed very often).

How sure are you? https://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T2_PCIe_Cards
suggests this is still a 3rd-party/vendor driver and the PCI-IDs given there don't seem to appear in this random v4.15-rc kernel tree I had sitting around.

https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/TBS_driver_installation suggests
ther is an Open Source (but not mainline?) driver for some of their
boards, but it explicitly excludes the 6205.

Ian.
Re: Any UK HDHR users here? [ In reply to ]

Re: Any UK HDHR users here? [ In reply to ]
On 11/04/18 12:53, Justin Hornsby wrote:
> Ah well.
>
> I did say I only had one PCIe slot.. and it's occupied by something from nvidia :)
>
> £140ish for a quad tuner DVB-T2 card isn't too bad but I'd have to replace the mainboard (and probably the CPU) to be able to use it.
>
> Are there good open source drivers for it?  I'm not overly concerned but I prefer drivers for stuff to be in kernel.  I started out having to patch & build my own kernel & I'd love to think those days are behind me.
>
> I'm guessing the lack of other replies here means there aren't any UK HDHR paying attention to this list.  If multirec works - great - if not, no big deal.
>
> Cheers!

I'm a UK HDHR user.

I had to look up "multirec" to be sure of the meaning. I've only been doing it since 2013. I currently possess 5 HDHomerun Connect units. One is not in use because the psu failed. One is still in the box. 2 are used by DVBLink software installed on my NAS box. It definitely does not do multirec, and apparently never will, so the maximum is 4 channels. The fifth and oldest is used by my MythTV box which is a Shuttle nettop pc. In theory it can record 10 channels at the same time (5 per tuner) but the practical limit seems to be 5 or 6. For me the main appeal of the HDHR is the network connection. In the absence of more sophisticated software you can record 2 channels with a few simple terminal commands. No drivers required. Having tried a variety of set-top boxes with pvr capabilities, I was not surprised by the occasional glitch in the data stream, but replacing the dead unit with the latest model seems to have reduced the frequency of these glitches. There's something about my circumstances + MythTV + HDHR that makes recording from the BBC multiplex a bit iffy with regard to AV sync. The only commercial multiplex I can receive works fine. The DVBLink software seems to have no problem with the BBC multiplex but it's also working from a different antenna. Signal strength and quality are major factors.

I will be happy to answer any further questions but my technical knowledge is limited.
Re: Any UK HDHR users here? [ In reply to ]
Hoi E,

> On 11/04/18 12:53, Justin Hornsby wrote:
>> Ah well.
>>
>> I did say I only had one PCIe slot.. and it's occupied by something from nvidia :)
>>
>> £140ish for a quad tuner DVB-T2 card isn't too bad but I'd have to replace the mainboard (and probably the CPU) to be able to use it.
>>
>> Are there good open source drivers for it?  I'm not overly concerned but I prefer drivers for stuff to be in kernel.  I started out having to patch & build my own kernel & I'd love to think those days are behind me.
>>
>> I'm guessing the lack of other replies here means there aren't any UK HDHR paying attention to this list.  If multirec works - great - if not, no big deal.
>>
>> Cheers!

> I'm a UK HDHR user.

> I had to look up "multirec" to be sure of the meaning. I've only
> been doing it since 2013. I currently possess 5 HDHomerun Connect
> units. One is not in use because the psu failed. One is still in the
> box. 2 are used by DVBLink software installed on my NAS box. It
> definitely does not do multirec, and apparently never will, so the
> maximum is 4 channels. The fifth and oldest is used by my MythTV box
> which is a Shuttle nettop pc. In theory it can record 10 channels at
> the same time (5 per tuner) but the practical limit seems to be 5 or
> 6.

That means multirec! As I read it, it is your DVBlink software on your
NAS that does not support multirec

Tot mails,
Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop
Het eeuwige dilemma

De lerende Mens

Re: Any UK HDHR users here? [ In reply to ]
I use the HDHR4-2DT and it does do multirec, so I assume the HDHR5-2DT does
as well. I had to move from internal PCIe card tuners after we moved and
the new house doesn't have any easy way to get an aerial cable to where the
backend resides. It's been going 24/7 for a year without issues, connected
over a Powerline network.

Peter.

Re: Any UK HDHR users here? [ In reply to ]
Anyone know what the minimum system requirements are to use the HDHR (UK). I'm still on 0.24.1 running on Debian Squeeze (6) - yeah I know, ancient, but you know the saying about if it isn't broken, don't fix it !
Can this use an HDHR5-2DT UK model ?

Re: Any UK HDHR users here? [ In reply to ]
On 12/04/18 15:31, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Hoi E,
>
> Wednesday, April 11, 2018, 6:10:10 PM, you wrote:
>
>> On 11/04/18 12:53, Justin Hornsby wrote:
>>> Ah well.
>>>
>>> I did say I only had one PCIe slot.. and it's occupied by something from nvidia :)
>>>
>>> £140ish for a quad tuner DVB-T2 card isn't too bad but I'd have to replace the mainboard (and probably the CPU) to be able to use it.
>>>
>>> Are there good open source drivers for it?  I'm not overly concerned but I prefer drivers for stuff to be in kernel.  I started out having to patch & build my own kernel & I'd love to think those days are behind me.
>>>
>>> I'm guessing the lack of other replies here means there aren't any UK HDHR paying attention to this list.  If multirec works - great - if not, no big deal.
>>>
>>> Cheers!

>> I'm a UK HDHR user.
>
>> I had to look up "multirec" to be sure of the meaning. I've only
>> been doing it since 2013. I currently possess 5 HDHomerun Connect
>> units. One is not in use because the psu failed. One is still in the
>> box. 2 are used by DVBLink software installed on my NAS box. It
>> definitely does not do multirec, and apparently never will, so the
>> maximum is 4 channels. The fifth and oldest is used by my MythTV box
>> which is a Shuttle nettop pc. In theory it can record 10 channels at
>> the same time (5 per tuner) but the practical limit seems to be 5 or
>> 6.
>
> That means multirec! As I read it, it is your DVBlink software on your
> NAS that does not support multirec
>
> Tot mails,
> Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com
>
> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
> Het eeuwige dilemma
> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>
> De lerende Mens

Yes the limitation is in the DVBLink software. From what I know it seems to be a policy decision and my best guess for that decision is that the programmer who knows how to do the video work has left the team. I don't know how to do it, but I expect that the procedure for extracting an individual channel from the multiplex is similar to the procedure for extracting EIT data. If they can do one, why not the other. Extracting EIT data is something I would really like to do but I have yet to figure it out.

Re: Any UK HDHR users here? [ In reply to ]
Well, the new HDHR arrived yesterday & so far so good. Multirec indeed
works & seems to work very well. Scanning was impressively quick & easy
too.

What I've not been so enamoured by is marrying SchedulesDIrect xmltvids to
channels but I think I've found a way of working with channel management
now.