Mailing List Archive

1 2 3 4  View All
Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Apr 21, 2018, 8:21 AM John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21/04/18 00:12, Ashu Desai wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, Apr 20, 2018, 5:06 PM John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com
> > <mailto:johnpilk222@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > On 20/04/18 21:42, Ashu Desai wrote:
> > >

> > > On Thu, Apr 19, 2018, 1:39 PM John Pilkington
> > <johnpilk222@gmail.com <mailto:johnpilk222@gmail.com>
> > > <mailto:johnpilk222@gmail.com <mailto:johnpilk222@gmail.com>>>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Still trying to get used to gmail with ipop. Deleted message
> > > instead of
> > > replying.
> > >
> > > Installing the nVidia drivers can be confusing. Here's a
> > fairly recent
> > > howto
> > >
> > > https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/NVIDIA
> > >
> > > John
> > >

> > > This is the 2nd time in as many days that I am doing a full
> > install of
> > > centOS - every time I install the nvidia drivers, somehow my
> network
> > > fails to load up. no matter what I do my network fails saying LSB
> > failed.
> > >
> > > Full new install (twice) and all I did was: yum install
> > xorg-x11-drv-nvidia
> > >
> > Perhasps I have to apologise for this. Google doesn't appear to
> > support
> > my assumption that an nVidia driver is required for an Atom. Sorry.
> >

> https://downloadcenter.intel.com/.../Intel-Atom-Processor-230-512K-Cache-1-60-GHz
> .
> >

> > well I did use vdpau and with my older ion I believe I need out for a
> > good playback, don't I?
> >
> > I am unable to open the link you have here so my apologies, not sure
> > what it says.
>
> That URL came up in search for a video driver for your Atom; I hadn't
> tried it. It seems likely to be a part of a Centos-provided intel
> driver anyway. I had confused Atom with Ion which IIRC was an
> intel/nvidia mix.

Mine is ION nvidia. this is what I did:

Nvidia Drivers from Elrepo

rpm --import https://www.elrepo.org/RPM-GPG-KEY-elrepo.org
rpm -Uvh http://www.elrepo.org/elrepo-release-7. ... noarch.rpm
yum install nvidia-detect.x86_64

use command yum install $(nvidia-detect) for correct drivers for your card.
In my case, I was suggested 340.x

yum install kmod-nvidia-340xx
yum install nvidia-x11-drv-340xx.x86_64

> But it seems you now have an nVidia driver installed for who-knows-what
> hardware. Which driver? lspci | grep VGA ?

Comes up as nvidia corporation ION

I suspect your frontend
> may still be underpowered for some current content, but perhaps you can
> now use the frontend-setup options to get an ok performance.
>
> Have you googled 'lsb fails to start?' I found several Centos7
> references - and 'solutions,' for example...

no but will give this a shot now...

Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Apr 21, 2018, 8:21 AM John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21/04/18 00:12, Ashu Desai wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, Apr 20, 2018, 5:06 PM John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com
> > <mailto:johnpilk222@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > On 20/04/18 21:42, Ashu Desai wrote:
> > >

> > > On Thu, Apr 19, 2018, 1:39 PM John Pilkington
> > <johnpilk222@gmail.com <mailto:johnpilk222@gmail.com>
> > > <mailto:johnpilk222@gmail.com <mailto:johnpilk222@gmail.com>>>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Still trying to get used to gmail with ipop. Deleted message
> > > instead of
> > > replying.
> > >
> > > Installing the nVidia drivers can be confusing. Here's a
> > fairly recent
> > > howto
> > >
> > > https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/NVIDIA
> > >
> > > John
> > >

> > > This is the 2nd time in as many days that I am doing a full
> > install of
> > > centOS - every time I install the nvidia drivers, somehow my
> network
> > > fails to load up. no matter what I do my network fails saying LSB
> > failed.
> > >
> > > Full new install (twice) and all I did was: yum install
> > xorg-x11-drv-nvidia
> > >
> > Perhasps I have to apologise for this. Google doesn't appear to
> > support
> > my assumption that an nVidia driver is required for an Atom. Sorry.
> >

> https://downloadcenter.intel.com/.../Intel-Atom-Processor-230-512K-Cache-1-60-GHz
> .
> >

> > well I did use vdpau and with my older ion I believe I need out for a
> > good playback, don't I?
> >
> > I am unable to open the link you have here so my apologies, not sure
> > what it says.
>
> That URL came up in search for a video driver for your Atom; I hadn't
> tried it. It seems likely to be a part of a Centos-provided intel
> driver anyway. I had confused Atom with Ion which IIRC was an
> intel/nvidia mix.
>
> But it seems you now have an nVidia driver installed for who-knows-what
> hardware. Which driver? lspci | grep VGA ? I suspect your frontend
> may still be underpowered for some current content, but perhaps you can
> now use the frontend-setup options to get an ok performance.
>
> Have you googled 'lsb fails to start?' I found several Centos7
> references - and 'solutions,' for example...
>

> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/220750/centos-7-failed-to-bring-up-down-networking-configure-interface-for-a-trunk-in

so it seems that journalctl -xe shows the error:

ifup- eth shows a different mac than in the ifcfg-eth0.

since this adapter doesn't show up in ifconfig, I don't know what to put. I
do have a copy of my first working cfg before i installed nvidia and the
network was working. however copying that over (even with a commented uuid)
doesn't help. disabled the NetworkManager but doesn't work.

and have no freaking idea why installing nvidia drivers would mess with my
network drivers!

Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]

https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=65095#p273773 ?

Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Apr 21, 2018 at 3:51 PM John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 21/04/18 19:58, Ashu Desai wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, Apr 21, 2018, 8:21 AM John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com
> > <mailto:johnpilk222@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > On 21/04/18 00:12, Ashu Desai wrote:
> > >

> > > On Fri, Apr 20, 2018, 5:06 PM John Pilkington
> > <johnpilk222@gmail.com <mailto:johnpilk222@gmail.com>
> > > <mailto:johnpilk222@gmail.com <mailto:johnpilk222@gmail.com>>>
> wrote:

> > > <johnpilk222@gmail.com <mailto:johnpilk222@gmail.com>
> > <mailto:johnpilk222@gmail.com <mailto:johnpilk222@gmail.com>>
> > <mailto:johnpilk222@gmail.com> <mailto:johnpilk222@gmail.com

> > message

> Here's a
> > > fairly recent

> full
> > > install of
> > my network
> > saying LSB
> > > failed.

> > > xorg-x11-drv-nvidia
> > > >
> > > Perhasps I have to apologise for this. Google doesn't appear
> > > support
> > > my assumption that an nVidia driver is required for an Atom.
> > Sorry.
> > >

> https://downloadcenter.intel.com/.../Intel-Atom-Processor-230-512K-Cache-1-60-GHz
> .
> > >

> > > well I did use vdpau and with my older ion I believe I need out
> > for a
> > > good playback, don't I?
> > >
> > > I am unable to open the link you have here so my apologies, not
> sure
> > > what it says.
> >
> > That URL came up in search for a video driver for your Atom; I
> hadn't
> > tried it. It seems likely to be a part of a Centos-provided intel
> > driver anyway. I had confused Atom with Ion which IIRC was an
> > intel/nvidia mix.
> >
> > But it seems you now have an nVidia driver installed for
> who-knows-what
> > hardware. Which driver? lspci | grep VGA ? I suspect your
> frontend
> > may still be underpowered for some current content, but perhaps you
> can
> > now use the frontend-setup options to get an ok performance.
> >
> > Have you googled 'lsb fails to start?' I found several Centos7
> > references - and 'solutions,' for example...
> >

> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/220750/centos-7-failed-to-bring-up-down-networking-configure-interface-for-a-trunk-in
> >

> > so it seems that journalctl -xe shows the error:
> >
> > ifup- eth shows a different mac than in the ifcfg-eth0.
> >
> > since this adapter doesn't show up in ifconfig, I don't know what to
> > put. I do have a copy of my first working cfg before i installed nvidia
> > and the network was working. however copying that over (even with a
> > commented uuid) doesn't help. disabled the NetworkManager but doesn't
> work.
> >
> > and have no freaking idea why installing nvidia drivers would mess with
> > my network drivers!
> >

> https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=65095#p273773 ?

wohoo!!! this did it! THANK YOU!!!

Now - minor stuff:

1. When i go to themes on remote frontend - i only see 3. Classic,
Classic-Wide and Terra.

2. Audio - I think I need to choose HDMI but if i do that - TrueHD doesn't
work. If I select iecxxxx- I think DTS-HD won't work - not sure. But the
real part - wrong speakers light up when doing the test.

Someone suggested correcting it in asound.conf - but that's empty. I think
I need to edit that one with the correct layout. I haven't looked at the
sample asound.conf but now I am on to that.

3. H.265 plays extremely choppy! It plays perfect on the backend server. I
have ethernet 1G connection everywhere in the house so network can't be
it..?

But what a relief to have this up....
Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
On 22 April 2018 at 11:09, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai@gmail.com> wrote:

> 3. H.265 plays extremely choppy! It plays perfect on the backend server. I
> have ethernet 1G connection everywhere in the house so network can't be
> it..?

H.265 is most likely using software decoding, as only top-end Nvidia cards
can do it in hardware. Your CPU will be under-powered for that.

Your backend is either more powerful and can do it in software, or it is
set up for VAAPI with a modern intel chip that can do H.265 in hardware.

If you want to play these on this box, I would suggest getting hold of
"handbrake" and transcoding them to H.264
Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 01:09:18 +0000, you wrote:

>wohoo!!! this did it! THANK YOU!!!
>
>Now - minor stuff:
>
>1. When i go to themes on remote frontend - i only see 3. Classic,
>Classic-Wide and Terra.

You need to get mythfrontend to download other themes. It should
download the list of themes when you go into the theme chooser. If it
has not, then from in the theme chooser, M(menu) and select Refresh
Downloadable Themes. You probably tried before when your networking
was not working.

>2. Audio - I think I need to choose HDMI but if i do that - TrueHD doesn't
>work. If I select iecxxxx- I think DTS-HD won't work - not sure. But the
>real part - wrong speakers light up when doing the test.

HDMI can be limited as to what it will pass through. If your TV does
not do TrueHD, then it is unlikely an HDMI connection to your TV will
do TrueHD as the TV will not pass it through. If the HDMI goes to
your receiver/amp then maybe it will work.

>Someone suggested correcting it in asound.conf - but that's empty. I think
>I need to edit that one with the correct layout. I haven't looked at the
>sample asound.conf but now I am on to that.

Check your old Ion setup to see if it has an asound.conf file. If
not, then this mailing list has had posts about this exact problem
several times, so if you can find them there will be examples of what
to put in /etc/asound.conf. ALSA is a pain to set up - it is much
better if you have an example to work from.

>3. H.265 plays extremely choppy! It plays perfect on the backend server. I
>have ethernet 1G connection everywhere in the house so network can't be
>it..?

Ion Nvidia GPUs are way too old to do accelerated H.265. That is only
done by the very newest Nvidia cards (1000 series, I think). And
since your Ion has already demonstrated that it is too slow to do even
H.264 with its CPU only, then it is certainly not going to be able to
do H.265. Your backend box is likely doing H.265 using its CPU. You
may be forced to transcode H.265 to H.264 to be able to play H.265
files on the Ion frontend.
Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
Hi Ashu!

I'm going to reply from Steve's message as probably makes more sense to..

>> Now - minor stuff:
>>
>> 1. When i go to themes on remote frontend - i only see 3. Classic,
>> Classic-Wide and Terra.
>>
>> You need to get mythfrontend to download other themes. It should
>> download the list of themes when you go into the theme chooser. If it
>> has not, then from in the theme chooser, M(menu) and select Refresh
>> Downloadable Themes. You probably tried before when your networking
>> was not working.

And for whatever reason it is normal for the Themes to 'disappear'. A
that menu just tap the "M" key and they magically will reappear.

>> 2. Audio - I think I need to choose HDMI but if i do that - TrueHD doesn't
>> work. If I select iecxxxx- I think DTS-HD won't work - not sure. But the
>> real part - wrong speakers light up when doing the test.
> HDMI can be limited as to what it will pass through. If your TV does
> not do TrueHD, then it is unlikely an HDMI connection to your TV will
> do TrueHD as the TV will not pass it through. If the HDMI goes to
> your receiver/amp then maybe it will work.

Another thing I found here was "K.I.S.S.": the second page of the audio
cofiguration for the Frontend has various options such as Dolby and
other enhancements.  If they're off by default keep them off, play with
them later when things are working.  I have a monitor with built-in
speakers I occasional use for viewing up here in the Computer Room.
Problem is built-in speakers have a super-wimpy amp and so not very
loud.  One of the FE's audio options made the 'test speakers' noise
sufficiently loud -- yea!!  Problem was that setting killed off all
sound when playing back the TV show. :(
Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Apr 22, 2018 at 12:36 AM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 01:09:18 +0000, you wrote:
>

> >wohoo!!! this did it! THANK YOU!!!
> >
> >Now - minor stuff:
> >
> >1. When i go to themes on remote frontend - i only see 3. Classic,
> >Classic-Wide and Terra.
>
> You need to get mythfrontend to download other themes. It should
> download the list of themes when you go into the theme chooser. If it
> has not, then from in the theme chooser, M(menu) and select Refresh
> Downloadable Themes. You probably tried before when your networking
> was not working.

Pressing menu and doing again worked! Thank you!

> >2. Audio - I think I need to choose HDMI but if i do that - TrueHD doesn't
> >work. If I select iecxxxx- I think DTS-HD won't work - not sure. But the
> >real part - wrong speakers light up when doing the test.
>
> HDMI can be limited as to what it will pass through. If your TV does
> not do TrueHD, then it is unlikely an HDMI connection to your TV will
> do TrueHD as the TV will not pass it through. If the HDMI goes to
> your receiver/amp then maybe it will work.

My HDMI is going out to my Denon receiver - Somehow if I set this to iecxxx
- I can hear the TrueHD movies. If I have HDMI - no sound. Not sure why.

> >Someone suggested correcting it in asound.conf - but that's empty. I think
> >I need to edit that one with the correct layout. I haven't looked at the
> >sample asound.conf but now I am on to that.
>
> Check your old Ion setup to see if it has an asound.conf file. If
> not, then this mailing list has had posts about this exact problem
> several times, so if you can find them there will be examples of what
> to put in /etc/asound.conf. ALSA is a pain to set up - it is much
> better if you have an example to work from.

I saw this post here for the wrong speaker piece for Zotac:
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Digital_Audio_Tutorial

That fixed it (however TrueHD only works if i select IEC option on audio
card) - i understand this was more for which channel to which speaker

> >3. H.265 plays extremely choppy! It plays perfect on the backend server. I
> >have ethernet 1G connection everywhere in the house so network can't be
> >it..?
>
> Ion Nvidia GPUs are way too old to do accelerated H.265. That is only
> done by the very newest Nvidia cards (1000 series, I think). And
> since your Ion has already demonstrated that it is too slow to do even
> H.264 with its CPU only, then it is certainly not going to be able to
> do H.265. Your backend box is likely doing H.265 using its CPU. You
> may be forced to transcode H.265 to H.264 to be able to play H.265
> files on the Ion frontend.

Thank you - I already got a handbrake'ed copy with H.264 - I was just
wondering. Makes sense about this being underpowered for the HEVC piece.
Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 10:12 AM Ashu Desai <ashu.desai@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 22, 2018 at 12:36 AM Stephen Worthington <
> stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 01:09:18 +0000, you wrote:
>>

>> >wohoo!!! this did it! THANK YOU!!!
>> >
>> >Now - minor stuff:
>> >
>> >1. When i go to themes on remote frontend - i only see 3. Classic,
>> >Classic-Wide and Terra.
>>
>> You need to get mythfrontend to download other themes. It should
>> download the list of themes when you go into the theme chooser. If it
>> has not, then from in the theme chooser, M(menu) and select Refresh
>> Downloadable Themes. You probably tried before when your networking
>> was not working.
>>

> Pressing menu and doing again worked! Thank you!

Adding 1 b: - I have an issue setting up storage group. So initially I had
set up the following for my Movies:

/usr/local/media/Videos

Now I thought of adding my "TV" folder as well such:

/usr/local/media/TV

However, no matter what I do - my backend only sees the initial Videos
folder (Movies) - I almost want to remove it and see if it now sees the TV
but I realize that doing so means rescanning ALL my movies when I add the
folder again. I am trying to avoid this if I can help it.

>> >2. Audio - I think I need to choose HDMI but if i do that - TrueHD
>> doesn't
>> >work. If I select iecxxxx- I think DTS-HD won't work - not sure. But the
>> >real part - wrong speakers light up when doing the test.
>>
>> HDMI can be limited as to what it will pass through. If your TV does
>> not do TrueHD, then it is unlikely an HDMI connection to your TV will
>> do TrueHD as the TV will not pass it through. If the HDMI goes to
>> your receiver/amp then maybe it will work.
>>

> My HDMI is going out to my Denon receiver - Somehow if I set this to
> iecxxx - I can hear the TrueHD movies. If I have HDMI - no sound. Not sure
> why.

This still remains the issue...

Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 21:05:37 +0000, you wrote:

>On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 10:12 AM Ashu Desai <ashu.desai@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sun, Apr 22, 2018 at 12:36 AM Stephen Worthington <
>> stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

>>> You need to get mythfrontend to download other themes. It should
>>> download the list of themes when you go into the theme chooser. If it
>>> has not, then from in the theme chooser, M(menu) and select Refresh
>>> Downloadable Themes. You probably tried before when your networking
>>> was not working.
>>>

>> Pressing menu and doing again worked! Thank you!
>>

>Adding 1 b: - I have an issue setting up storage group. So initially I had
>set up the following for my Movies:
>
>/usr/local/media/Videos
>
>Now I thought of adding my "TV" folder as well such:
>
>/usr/local/media/TV
>

>However, no matter what I do - my backend only sees the initial Videos
>folder (Movies) - I almost want to remove it and see if it now sees the TV
>but I realize that doing so means rescanning ALL my movies when I add the
>folder again. I am trying to avoid this if I can help it.

Storage group directories can be anywhere, but they do have to have
the right ownership and permissions. I am not sure how your MythTV is
set up, but in Ubuntu, storage groups should be chown mythtv:mythtv.
Videos groups will seem to work properly with just read permissions,
but you will not be able to delete movie files. Recording storage
groups need to be writeable - mythbackend tests writeability at
startup by creating a .test file and deleting it again. Any recording
directory where that test fails will not be used to record to. And
remember that in order to access a directory, permission is needed to
scan all the directories on the path to that directory. You can also
just give full permissions to everyone (chmod a=rwx) to your storage
group directories, to avoid any permission problems. That is what I
do as I share some of them between two different MythTV boxes.

I do not believe you would need to rescan your video files if you move
where they are to another location. Video file data is stored in the
database under a hash computed from the start of the file. This can
cause occasional problems where the hash for two different files works
out to be the same, but it means that if you move a file from one
video directory to a different one, the file is still recognised. Just
make sure that wherever you move the file to is visible as a video
storage group the next time you scan, and the file entry will remain
unchanged in the database.

The best way to do storage group directories is to have them as a
directory straight under /. That way there are no problems with
permissions on the intervening directories. They are frequently on
separate drives anyway, so have more directory structure for them is
usually undesirable in that case. Having recording directories on
your system drive is undesirable. The system drive is where the
database normally is, and there is lots of database activity (and
other system activity) when you are recording. That means the drive's
heads are always moving back and forth between the recording files and
the database files and other system files and the directory storage
areas, and that severely limits how many recordings you can safely do
before the heads fail to reach one of the recording files in time and
part of the recording gets dropped because it could not be written to
disk. Of course, if you drives are SSDs, then they can sustain a much
higher rate of activity due to not have physical heads that need to be
moved.
Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
Can please structure this thread in threads with a proper name! This
is chaos!

Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
Hi All!

> Can please structure this thread in threads with a proper name! This
> is chaos!

I'll agree but I'd like to suggest using a common 'thread word' to help
maintain the commonality; to me it seems as if one problem branch's
issues are possibly due to or could be corrected by another branch of
problems.   'Ashu' comes to mind as the 'common thread word'.  I know
it's the OP's name, but unique plus short. Thinking of usage such as
"Ashu - Audio Issue", "Ashu - Video Stuttering", "Ashu - Director
Permissions".

My 2¢'s worth - and hey! I got change back!! <g>

Barry
Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
Ashu - Storage Groups issue

> Adding 1 b: - I have an issue setting up storage group. So initially I had
> set up the following for my Movies:
>
> /usr/local/media/Videos
>
> Now I thought of adding my "TV" folder as well such:
>
> /usr/local/media/TV
>

> However, no matter what I do - my backend only sees the initial Videos
> folder (Movies) - I almost want to remove it and see if it now sees the TV
> but I realize that doing so means rescanning ALL my movies when I add the
> folder again. I am trying to avoid this if I can help it.

So - under mythtv-setup, I go to Storage Directories. I have the correct
path for each one. I have the following:

/usr/local/media/Videos
/usr/local/media/TV

I only see the Movies, no TV folder. So I delete the
/usr/local/media/Videos, leaving only the TV path. I still keep seeing
Movies, but no TV videos. So now, I delet everything under "Videos" storage
group. It has NO directory path to anything. However, when I go to my
frontend - I still see all my movies there! I scan it again, i restart
mariadb, mythbackend (knowing this shouldn't matter) but still see all my
Movies.

This makes me think there must be another path it's getting all my movies
from.

Not sure where...
Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
Ashu - HDMI vs IEC issue

>> >2. Audio - I think I need to choose HDMI but if i do that - TrueHD
>> doesn't
>> >work. If I select iecxxxx- I think DTS-HD won't work - not sure. But the
>> >real part - wrong speakers light up when doing the test.
>>
>> HDMI can be limited as to what it will pass through. If your TV does
>> not do TrueHD, then it is unlikely an HDMI connection to your TV will
>> do TrueHD as the TV will not pass it through. If the HDMI goes to
>> your receiver/amp then maybe it will work.
>>

> My HDMI is going out to my Denon receiver - Somehow if I set this to
> iecxxx - I can hear the TrueHD movies. If I have HDMI - no sound. Not sure
> why.
>

>> >Someone suggested correcting it in asound.conf - but that's empty. I
>> think
>> >I need to edit that one with the correct layout. I haven't looked at the
>> >sample asound.conf but now I am on to that.
>>
>> Check your old Ion setup to see if it has an asound.conf file. If
>> not, then this mailing list has had posts about this exact problem
>> several times, so if you can find them there will be examples of what
>> to put in /etc/asound.conf. ALSA is a pain to set up - it is much
>> better if you have an example to work from.
>>

> I saw this post here for the wrong speaker piece for Zotac:
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Digital_Audio_Tutorial
>
> That fixed it (however TrueHD only works if i select IEC option on audio
> card) - i understand this was more for which channel to which speaker

This still doesn't work - if I select HDMI then any movie with TrueHD gets
no sound. If I select iec95XXX - i get the sound ok.

One can say just leave it if it's working this way but I just want to
figure out what is causing the HDMI to not work the way it should. I don't
want other stuff building off what is a minor (non) issue here plus a good
thing to learn for me...

Thank you...
Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 8:01 AM Barry Martin <barry3martin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All!
>
> Can please structure this thread in threads with a proper name! This
> is chaos!
>
> I'll agree but I'd like to suggest using a common 'thread word' to help
> maintain the commonality; to me it seems as if one problem branch's issues
> are possibly due to or could be corrected by another branch of problems.
> 'Ashu' comes to mind as the 'common thread word'. I know it's the OP's
> name, but unique plus short. Thinking of usage such as "Ashu - Audio
> Issue", "Ashu - Video Stuttering", "Ashu - Director Permissions".

I agree - i have started doing that.

http://about.me/adesai
Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
Ashu - Storage Group Issue

On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 11:59 AM Ashu Desai <ashu.desai@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ashu - Storage Groups issue
>

>> Adding 1 b: - I have an issue setting up storage group. So initially I
>> had set up the following for my Movies:
>>
>> /usr/local/media/Videos
>>
>> Now I thought of adding my "TV" folder as well such:
>>
>> /usr/local/media/TV
>>

>> However, no matter what I do - my backend only sees the initial Videos
>> folder (Movies) - I almost want to remove it and see if it now sees the TV
>> but I realize that doing so means rescanning ALL my movies when I add the
>> folder again. I am trying to avoid this if I can help it.
>>

> So - under mythtv-setup, I go to Storage Directories. I have the correct
> path for each one. I have the following:
>
> /usr/local/media/Videos
> /usr/local/media/TV
>
> I only see the Movies, no TV folder. So I delete the
> /usr/local/media/Videos, leaving only the TV path. I still keep seeing
> Movies, but no TV videos. So now, I delet everything under "Videos" storage
> group. It has NO directory path to anything. However, when I go to my
> frontend - I still see all my movies there! I scan it again, i restart
> mariadb, mythbackend (knowing this shouldn't matter) but still see all my
> Movies.
>
> This makes me think there must be another path it's getting all my movies
> from.
>
> Not sure where...

So I tried removing and re-adding the folders to no avail. The permissions
seems ok as well - in fact I just changed the folder to a 777.

So the weird part is, under storage group, there is NO path to anything,
and yet it keeps showing me the Movies i had. And doesnt seem to like the
folder that have all the TV shows.

Where is it pulling all my movies from? And why doesn't it like the TV
folder? I almost want to move the TV folder and make it a sub folder under
the Movie one, but i think it's best to first find the problem...
Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
On 25/04/18 03:34, Ashu Desai wrote:

> Ashu - Storage Group Issue
>
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 11:59 AM Ashu Desai <ashu.desai@gmail.com
> <mailto:ashu.desai@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Ashu - Storage Groups issue
>

> Adding 1 b: - I have an issue setting up storage group. So
> initially I had set up the following for my Movies:
>
> /usr/local/media/Videos
>
> Now I thought of adding my "TV" folder as well such:
>
> /usr/local/media/TV
>

> However, no matter what I do - my backend only sees the
> initial Videos folder (Movies) - I almost want to remove it
> and see if it now sees the TV but I realize that doing so
> means rescanning ALL my movies when I add the folder again. I
> am trying to avoid this if I can help it.
>

> So - under mythtv-setup, I go to Storage Directories. I have the
> correct path for each one. I have the following:
>
> /usr/local/media/Videos
> /usr/local/media/TV
>
> I only see the Movies, no TV folder. So I delete the
> /usr/local/media/Videos, leaving only the TV path. I still keep
> seeing Movies, but no TV videos. So now, I delet everything under
> "Videos" storage group. It has NO directory path to anything.
> However, when I go to my frontend - I still see all my movies
> there! I scan it again, i restart mariadb, mythbackend (knowing
> this shouldn't matter) but still see all my Movies.
>
> This makes me think there must be another path it's getting all my
> movies from.
>
> Not sure where...
>

> So I tried removing and re-adding the folders to no avail. The
> permissions seems ok as well - in fact I just changed the folder to a 777.
>
> So the weird part is, under storage group, there is NO path to
> anything, and yet it keeps showing me the Movies i had. And doesnt
> seem to like the folder that have all the TV shows.
>
> Where is it pulling all my movies from?  And why doesn't it like the
> TV folder? I almost want to move the TV folder and make it a sub
> folder under the Movie one, but i think it's best to first find the
> problem...

Do you perhaps have the old legacy setting pointing to that directory
(Video -> General Settings -> Directories that hold videos).

It's best to set those old settings to blank and just setup storage
groups to point to your videos.

Having both set could cause the problems you are seeing.

Paul H.
Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
Ashu - Storage Group Issue

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 5:49 AM Paul Harrison <mythtv@sky.com> wrote:

> On 25/04/18 03:34, Ashu Desai wrote:
>
> Ashu - Storage Group Issue
>
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 11:59 AM Ashu Desai <ashu.desai@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Ashu - Storage Groups issue
>>

>>> Adding 1 b: - I have an issue setting up storage group. So initially I
>>> had set up the following for my Movies:
>>>
>>> /usr/local/media/Videos
>>>
>>> Now I thought of adding my "TV" folder as well such:
>>>
>>> /usr/local/media/TV
>>>

>>> However, no matter what I do - my backend only sees the initial Videos
>>> folder (Movies) - I almost want to remove it and see if it now sees the TV
>>> but I realize that doing so means rescanning ALL my movies when I add the
>>> folder again. I am trying to avoid this if I can help it.
>>>

>> So - under mythtv-setup, I go to Storage Directories. I have the correct
>> path for each one. I have the following:
>>
>> /usr/local/media/Videos
>> /usr/local/media/TV
>>
>> I only see the Movies, no TV folder. So I delete the
>> /usr/local/media/Videos, leaving only the TV path. I still keep seeing
>> Movies, but no TV videos. So now, I delet everything under "Videos" storage
>> group. It has NO directory path to anything. However, when I go to my
>> frontend - I still see all my movies there! I scan it again, i restart
>> mariadb, mythbackend (knowing this shouldn't matter) but still see all my
>> Movies.
>>
>> This makes me think there must be another path it's getting all my movies
>> from.
>>
>> Not sure where...
>>

> So I tried removing and re-adding the folders to no avail. The permissions
> seems ok as well - in fact I just changed the folder to a 777.
>
> So the weird part is, under storage group, there is NO path to anything,
> and yet it keeps showing me the Movies i had. And doesnt seem to like the
> folder that have all the TV shows.
>
> Where is it pulling all my movies from? And why doesn't it like the TV
> folder? I almost want to move the TV folder and make it a sub folder under
> the Movie one, but i think it's best to first find the problem...
>

> Do you perhaps have the old legacy setting pointing to that directory
> (Video -> General Settings -> Directories that hold videos).
>
> It's best to set those old settings to blank and just setup storage groups
> to point to your videos.
>
> Having both set could cause the problems you are seeing.
>
> Paul H.

No - The old setting is all empty. So is the path under mythtv-setup --
Videos.

Is there a way I can find out where it's getting all my movies from? And it
plays, which means it's not just a DB entry but it's actually finding the
path to my medias.
Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
Ashu - Storage Group Issue
On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 3:16 PM Ashu Desai <ashu.desai@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ashu - Storage Group Issue
>
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 5:49 AM Paul Harrison <mythtv@sky.com> wrote:
>
>> On 25/04/18 03:34, Ashu Desai wrote:
>>
>> Ashu - Storage Group Issue
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 11:59 AM Ashu Desai <ashu.desai@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Ashu - Storage Groups issue

>>> So - under mythtv-setup, I go to Storage Directories. I have the correct
>>> path for each one. I have the following:
>>>
>>> /usr/local/media/Videos
>>> /usr/local/media/TV
>>>
>>> I only see the Movies, no TV folder. So I delete the
>>> /usr/local/media/Videos, leaving only the TV path. I still keep seeing
>>> Movies, but no TV videos. So now, I delet everything under "Videos" storage
>>> group. It has NO directory path to anything. However, when I go to my
>>> frontend - I still see all my movies there! I scan it again, i restart
>>> mariadb, mythbackend (knowing this shouldn't matter) but still see all my
>>> Movies.
>>>
>>> This makes me think there must be another path it's getting all my
>>> movies from.
>>>
>>> Not sure where...
>>>

>> So I tried removing and re-adding the folders to no avail. The
>> permissions seems ok as well - in fact I just changed the folder to a 777.
>>
>> So the weird part is, under storage group, there is NO path to anything,
>> and yet it keeps showing me the Movies i had. And doesnt seem to like the
>> folder that have all the TV shows.
>>
>> Where is it pulling all my movies from? And why doesn't it like the TV
>> folder? I almost want to move the TV folder and make it a sub folder under
>> the Movie one, but i think it's best to first find the problem...
>>

>> Do you perhaps have the old legacy setting pointing to that directory
>> (Video -> General Settings -> Directories that hold videos).
>>
>> It's best to set those old settings to blank and just setup storage
>> groups to point to your videos.
>>
>> Having both set could cause the problems you are seeing.
>>
>> Paul H.
>>

> No - The old setting is all empty. So is the path under mythtv-setup --
> Videos.
>
> Is there a way I can find out where it's getting all my movies from? And
> it plays, which means it's not just a DB entry but it's actually finding
> the path to my medias.

Here's mysql output of this:

MariaDB [mythconverg]> select * from storagegroup;
+----+-------------+------------+---------------------------+
| id | groupname | hostname | dirname |
+----+-------------+------------+---------------------------+
| 1 | Default | mythmaster | /usr/local/media/live-tv |
| 2 | LiveTV | mythmaster | /usr/local/media/live-tv/ |
| 3 | DB Backups | mythmaster | /usr/local/media/live-tv |
| 4 | Videos | mythmaster | /usr/local/media/Videos/ |
| 5 | Coverart | mythmaster | /usr/local/media/Videos/ |
| 6 | Music | mythmaster | /usr/local/media/Music/ |
| 7 | Fanart | mythmaster | /usr/local/media/Fanart/ |
| 8 | Screenshots | mythmaster | /usr/local/media/Fanart/ |
| 9 | Banners | mythmaster | /usr/local/media/Banners/ |
| 10 | Default | 10.0.0.54 | /usr/local/media/live-tv/ |
| 11 | LiveTV | 10.0.0.54 | /usr/local/media/live-tv/ |
| 12 | DB Backups | 10.0.0.54 | /usr/local/media/live-tv/ |
| 14 | Trailers | 10.0.0.54 | /usr/local/media/live-tv/ |
| 15 | Coverart | 10.0.0.54 | /usr/local/media/Banners/ |
| 16 | Fanart | 10.0.0.54 | /usr/local/media/Fanart/ |
| 17 | Screenshots | 10.0.0.54 | /usr/local/media/Banners/ |
| 18 | Music | 10.0.0.54 | /usr/local/media/Music/ |
| 19 | MusicArt | 10.0.0.54 | /usr/local/media/Music |
| 21 | Banners | 10.0.0.54 | /usr/local/media/Banners/ |
| 22 | Photographs | 10.0.0.54 | /usr/local/media/Pic/ |
+----+-------------+------------+---------------------------+
20 rows in set (0.00 sec)
Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
Ashu - Storage Group Issue
On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 4:24 PM Ashu Desai <ashu.desai@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> | 6 | Music | mythmaster | /usr/local/media/Music/ |
> | 7 | Fanart | mythmaster | /usr/local/media/Fanart/ |
> | 8 | Screenshots | mythmaster | /usr/local/media/Fanart/ |
> | 9 | Banners | mythmaster | /usr/local/media/Banners/ |
> | 10 | Default | 10.0.0.54 | /usr/local/media/live-tv/ |
> | 11 | LiveTV | 10.0.0.54 | /usr/local/media/live-tv/ |
> | 12 | DB Backups | 10.0.0.54 | /usr/local/media/live-tv/ |
> | 14 | Trailers | 10.0.0.54 | /usr/local/media/live-tv/ |
> | 15 | Coverart | 10.0.0.54 | /usr/local/media/Banners/ |
> | 16 | Fanart | 10.0.0.54 | /usr/local/media/Fanart/ |
> | 17 | Screenshots | 10.0.0.54 | /usr/local/media/Banners/ |
> | 18 | Music | 10.0.0.54 | /usr/local/media/Music/ |
> | 19 | MusicArt | 10.0.0.54 | /usr/local/media/Music |
> | 21 | Banners | 10.0.0.54 | /usr/local/media/Banners/ |
> | 22 | Photographs | 10.0.0.54 | /usr/local/media/Pic/ |

Would it be safe for me to delete any entries in the above - if you see the
highlighted yellow - it is still somehow pulling up my Videos group - and
this resonates with what I am seeing. Only the "Movie" videos, not my
collection of TV shows (not the recording but DVD rips of my fav shows for
easier access)

Also - not sure how/why there are multiple entries of same groups - example
Music - one is listed under the "mythmaster" name and another under the IP
address. Would love some help here so I can get to the root cause of this
issue.

Thank you!
Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
On 28/04/18 05:23, Ashu Desai wrote:

[...]

It looks to me like you have changed the hostname of the backend at some time (from mythmaster to 10.0.0.54) which mythtv uses as the identifier of who it is (unless overriden in config.xml). So your database thinks that there are two different systems around.

I could be wrong but IIRC just deleting that storage group line is probably not the correct thing although it might at least make the video's unplayable. When you scanned for movies / shows on the original backend (mythmaster?) it would have populated the mythvideo tables with your shows including the host that 'held' the files. Your new / current backend (10.0.0.54?) doesn't have storage group paths to those shows however when you scan mythtv recognizes that the mythmaster host is 'missing in action' and presumes that this might be a temporary thing so leaves those shows in place (just in case it is temporary).

The simplest supported course of action is probably to just shutdown current backend, change LocalHostName override to mythmaster in config.xml, run mythtv-setup to remove the video storage group path from that host (check the backend IP address while you are there), start the backend up as mythmaster then run "mythutil --scanvideos" on the backend (or start a frontend pointing to mythmaster and trigger a scan from within mythvideo). That should at least clean up all the correct tables.

There are probably a few options available in mysql if you are proficient in that but they will probably take just as long and carry much higher risk of making a mistake.
Re: nvidia conflict with nouveau drivers [SOLVED] [ In reply to ]
Ashu - nVidia ION conflict with nouveau drivers

wrote:

> On 21/04/18 19:58, Ashu Desai wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, Apr 21, 2018, 8:21 AM John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com
> > <mailto:johnpilk222@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > On 21/04/18 00:12, Ashu Desai wrote:
> > >

> > > On Fri, Apr 20, 2018, 5:06 PM John Pilkington
> > <johnpilk222@gmail.com <mailto:johnpilk222@gmail.com>
> > > <mailto:johnpilk222@gmail.com <mailto:johnpilk222@gmail.com>>>
> wrote:

> > > <johnpilk222@gmail.com <mailto:johnpilk222@gmail.com>
> > <mailto:johnpilk222@gmail.com <mailto:johnpilk222@gmail.com>>
> > <mailto:johnpilk222@gmail.com> <mailto:johnpilk222@gmail.com

> > message

> Here's a
> > > fairly recent

> full
> > > install of
> > my network
> > saying LSB
> > > failed.

> > > xorg-x11-drv-nvidia
> > > >
> > > Perhasps I have to apologise for this. Google doesn't appear
> > > support
> > > my assumption that an nVidia driver is required for an Atom.
> > Sorry.
> > >

> https://downloadcenter.intel.com/.../Intel-Atom-Processor-230-512K-Cache-1-60-GHz
> .
> > >

> > > well I did use vdpau and with my older ion I believe I need out
> > for a
> > > good playback, don't I?
> > >
> > > I am unable to open the link you have here so my apologies, not
> sure
> > > what it says.
> >
> > That URL came up in search for a video driver for your Atom; I
> hadn't
> > tried it. It seems likely to be a part of a Centos-provided intel
> > driver anyway. I had confused Atom with Ion which IIRC was an
> > intel/nvidia mix.
> >
> > But it seems you now have an nVidia driver installed for
> who-knows-what
> > hardware. Which driver? lspci | grep VGA ? I suspect your
> frontend
> > may still be underpowered for some current content, but perhaps you
> can
> > now use the frontend-setup options to get an ok performance.
> >
> > Have you googled 'lsb fails to start?' I found several Centos7
> > references - and 'solutions,' for example...
> >

> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/220750/centos-7-failed-to-bring-up-down-networking-configure-interface-for-a-trunk-in
> >

> > so it seems that journalctl -xe shows the error:
> >
> > ifup- eth shows a different mac than in the ifcfg-eth0.
> >
> > since this adapter doesn't show up in ifconfig, I don't know what to
> > put. I do have a copy of my first working cfg before i installed nvidia
> > and the network was working. however copying that over (even with a
> > commented uuid) doesn't help. disabled the NetworkManager but doesn't
> work.
> >
> > and have no freaking idea why installing nvidia drivers would mess with
> > my network drivers!
> >

> https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=65095#p273773 ?

I wanted to say thank you to all that helped me out over last couple weeks.
I though I would do a quick bullet points of what I did to fix my issue. To
summarize - my new CentOS install would immediately disable my network
drivers. These are what i did to solve it:

- yum install nvidia-detect.x86_64
# I found out that rather than installing the latest -
this way works MUCH better
- yum install $(nvidia-detect)
- lspci | grep VGA
- lspci
- reboot
- rpm -Uvh kmod-forcedeth-0.64-3.el7.elrepo.x86_64.rpm
# I used to install the kmod-forcedeth-0.64-1 but apparently for the IONs
it needed the kmod-forcedeth-0.64-3
- reboot
- rpm -Uvh Downloads/elrepo-release-7.0-3.el7.elrepo.noarch.rpm
- yum update
- yum install mythtv
Re: nvidia conflict with nouveau drivers [SOLVED] [ In reply to ]
On 28/04/18 17:23, Ashu Desai wrote:
> Ashu - nVidia ION conflict with nouveau drivers

> I wanted to say thank you to all that helped me out over last couple
> weeks. I though I would do a quick bullet points of what I did to fix my
> issue. To summarize - my new CentOS install would immediately disable my
> network drivers. These are what i did to solve it:
>
> * yum install nvidia-detect.x86_64
>                     # I found out that rather than installing the
> latest - this way works MUCH better
> * yum install $(nvidia-detect)
> * lspci | grep VGA
> * lspci
> * reboot
> * rpm -Uvh kmod-forcedeth-0.64-3.el7.elrepo.x86_64.rpm
>   # I used to install the kmod-forcedeth-0.64-1 but apparently for
> the IONs it needed the kmod-forcedeth-0.64-3
> * reboot
> * rpm -Uvh Downloads/elrepo-release-7.0-3.el7.elrepo.noarch.rpm
> * yum update
> * yum install mythtv

It's good to see this summary of stuff that got obscured in a knotted
thread in which most of the first-reported symptoms turned out to be
misleading.

In fact nvidia-detect and kmod-forcedeth are both from elrepo. AIUI the
first detects and identifies your nvidia video hardware and selects its
appropriate nvidia driver from those built by elrepo, and the second
compensates for the dropping of support for the nvidia network hardware
from the default CentOS/el7 kernel. So updating or installing
elrepo-release first, and then the other two, would be simpler.

Glad to hear it's (mostly) working. :-)

John