1. Added antenna to the backend.
2. Went to mythtv-setup - selected card type as "DVB-T/S/C, ATSC or
ISDB-T"
1. This brought the DVB device type as /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
2. Frontend ID came to: Air2PC v2
3. No channels found on scan.

I am sure I am doing something wrong - so looking for help here :)

Thank you!
Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
On 07/04/18 16:40, Ashu Desai wrote:
> I wanted to play with indoor antenna so bought a SKY antenna.
>
> Over the last few years, I have been using my cable DVR and myth for
> Video/Music/Pictures.
>
> I want to see how the TV piece would work. Can someone pls point me to a
> step-by-step on how to get the HD antenna (like Mohu Leaf or what I have
> - Sky HD antenna) working?
>
> Do I absolutely need Schedules Direct subscription for this?
>
> Here is what I have done (to zero value)
>
> 1. Added antenna to the backend.
> 2. Went to mythtv-setup - selected card type as "DVB-T/S/C, ATSC or ISDB-T"
> 1. This brought the DVB device type as /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
> 2. Frontend ID came to: Air2PC v2
> 3. No channels found on scan.
>

> I am sure I am doing something wrong - so looking for help here :)
>
> Thank you!

If your device is one of those listed here

https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/TechniSat_Air2PC-ATSC-USB

it looks as if it will need firmware. But the site is quite old.

Can you see anything that seems related to it when you run 'dmesg'?
Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
Hi Ashu!

First I'll start off by stating  I am definitely not an expert but more
of an 'advanced novice' (though in some instance....) Anyway....

> I wanted to play with indoor antenna so bought a SKY antenna.

There are advantages and disadvantages to indoor (and outdoor)
antennae.  The good news is the indoor is protected from wind, rain,
etc.; the bad news is the materials protecting your indoor antenna will
decrease your signal strength.  A wood roof with shingles I think cuts
the signal by almost half, metal will essentially kill all the signal
(Faraday Cage).  Assuming no metal in the way moving the antenna a few
feet can make a lot of difference in the signal strength.  I have
several indoor antennae here at the house and it's very true!  I was
experimenting with an RCA1050 bat-wing style indoor antenna and moved it
form one side of a picture I was using to hold it -- received a weak
station on the left but not the right!

Point your antenna towards transmitter, not the studio.  Locally
"Channel 6" has its studios about five miles west of the house but the
transmitter is about 20 miles SSE.  Wikipedia, RabbitEars.info,
TVFool.com, etc. etc., "DTV Antennas" for phones and tablets, will give
locations/compass directions.

> Over the last few years, I have been using my cable DVR and myth for
> Video/Music/Pictures.
>
> I want to see how the TV piece would work. Can someone pls point me to a
> step-by-step on how to get the HD antenna (like Mohu Leaf or what I have -
> Sky HD antenna) working?

Don't know if there's anything special other than "point and shot".
The less in the way the better (almost just like photography!).  Was
scanning through an article recently where the guy was using a Mohu
Leaf;  he mentioned 'up high' generally being better (true) but the tape
had failed and his antenna fell to the floor -- he got better reception
with the antenna on the floor! (Trial and error!)  He had also mounted
an antenna in his skylight (signal through just glass).

One thing I sort of caught is you have been using cable and with the
antenna now received nothing.  The cable frequencies are different from
OTA (off the air).  Televisions have a semi-obvious setting ("Cable" vs.
"Air") but I don't recall what MythTV does -- it's been a while and I'm
going by memory (because the others will provide the technical stuff,
I'm trying to provide the troubleshooting basics).

> Do I absolutely need Schedules Direct subscription for this?

No.  SchedulesDirect is extremely helpful for the recording but
essentially has nothing to do with the reception.

> Here is what I have done (to zero value)
>
> 1. Added antenna to the backend.
> 2. Went to mythtv-setup - selected card type as "DVB-T/S/C, ATSC or
> ISDB-T"
> 1. This brought the DVB device type as /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
> 2. Frontend ID came to: Air2PC v2
> 3. No channels found on scan.
> I am sure I am doing something wrong - so looking for help here

Uh, yeah! Something's wrong!  I found Curtis Gadak's guide to be
extremely useful:

http://gedakc.users.sourceforge.net/display-doc.php?name=pvr-install-mythbuntu1404<http://gedakc.users.sourceforge.net/index.php>

Yes, the link is for 14.04 but reasonably accurate for when I did my
16.04 installs.   Take note of Section I if you are using a HVR-2250
capture card, otherwise you can probably start at Section X (Configure
MythTV Backend).  One thing I found a hare confusing at first as he
talks about both OTA and Shaw Cable, I needed to highlight the OTA
sections to keep the two separate.

I think your "2. Card Type" is correct as "T" is 'terrestrial' and
'ATSC' is the TV format used here in the U.S., through almost seems too
generic as also allowing options for "S"atellite and "C"able.

The "Air2 PC v2" seems wrong.  I think it's a more human-generated
option like Curtis' "HD Antenna" and "Shaw Cable" options.  The "Air2 PC
v2" sounds like perhaps a piece of software's second version -- poor
example but almost like you're trying to have MythTV look at MythTV when
it should be looking at Antenna.

Good Luck!

Barry
Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
Ashu:

> 1. Added antenna to the backend.
> 2. Went to mythtv-setup - selected card type as "DVB-T/S/C, ATSC or
> ISDB-T"
> 1. This brought the DVB device type as /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
> 2. Frontend ID came to: Air2PC v2
> 3. No channels found on scan.

Ignore my comment on this  section not looking right: you're using an
electronic antenna device and I was thinking of just a passive antenna.

Barry
Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
On 08/04/18 16:15, Barry Martin wrote:

> Ashu:
>
>> 1. Added antenna to the backend.
>> 2. Went to mythtv-setup - selected card type as "DVB-T/S/C, ATSC or
>> ISDB-T"
>> 1. This brought the DVB device type as /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
>> 2. Frontend ID came to: Air2PC v2
>> 3. No channels found on scan.
>>

> Ignore my comment on this  section not looking right: you're using an
> electronic antenna device and I was thinking of just a passive antenna.
>
> Barry

Nothing wrong with what you said. It looks as if the 'device' is an
antenna with a dvb tuner/adapter. It still needs to be in a place where
there is a strong enough signal and pointing in a suitable but perhaps
unpredictable direction.

Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
On 09/04/18 08:59, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 08/04/18 16:15, Barry Martin wrote:
>>
>> Ashu:
>>
>>>     1. Added antenna to the backend.
>>>     2. Went to mythtv-setup - selected card type as "DVB-T/S/C, ATSC or
>>>     ISDB-T"
>>>        1. This brought the DVB device type as
>>> /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
>>>        2. Frontend ID came to: Air2PC v2
>>>     3. No channels found on scan.
>>>

>> Ignore my comment on this  section not looking right: you're using an
>> electronic antenna device and I was thinking of just a passive antenna.
>>
>> Barry
>
> Nothing wrong with what you said.  It looks as if the 'device' is an
> antenna with a dvb tuner/adapter.  It still needs to be in a place where
> there is a strong enough signal and pointing in a suitable but perhaps
> unpredictable direction.

Googling suggests that the Air2PC isn't a part of the 'antenna' but a
normal dvb/ATSC tuner. I had the impression from Ashu's post that it
was a new part of his system and integrated into the 'antenna' package.
Perhaps not. OTA TV reception, especially with an indoor antenna, will
always be critically dependent on local conditions - including the
movements of people in the room.

Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]

Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Apr 7, 2018 at 11:40 AM, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wanted to play with indoor antenna so bought a SKY antenna.
>
> Over the last few years, I have been using my cable DVR and myth for
> Video/Music/Pictures.
>
> I want to see how the TV piece would work. Can someone pls point me to a
> step-by-step on how to get the HD antenna (like Mohu Leaf or what I have -
> Sky HD antenna) working?
>
> Do I absolutely need Schedules Direct subscription for this?
>
> Here is what I have done (to zero value)
>

> 1. Added antenna to the backend.
> 2. Went to mythtv-setup - selected card type as "DVB-T/S/C, ATSC or
> ISDB-T"
> 1. This brought the DVB device type as /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
> 2. Frontend ID came to: Air2PC v2
> 3. No channels found on scan.
>

> I am sure I am doing something wrong - so looking for help here :)
>
> Thank you!

I tried using a Mohu Leaf, but ran into problems with VHF channels. If
you're in the States, I'd recommend alternatives to that style of antenna
given the re-pack that's rolling out across the country. My set-up
consists of:
home-made UHF antenna (Gray-Hoverman style)
home-made VHF antenna (I mimicked this using some spare 8ga or 10ga copper
wire and a 2x4:
https://sites.google.com/site/maycreates/ota-setup/diy-vhf-loop-antenna,
although these instructions are more succinct:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/984307-post13.html)

Both antennas feed into a VHF/UHF combiner (e.g. Radioshack # 1502586
https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-vhf-uhf-gold-plated-splitter-combiner
)

Output from the combiner feeds into my HDHomeRun

I tried using EIT but got lousy results: descriptions were spotty and it's
tough to let the scheduler appropriately prioritize recordings when it can
only see 2-3 days out. SchedulesDirect is easily worth the nominal yearly
charge
Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
Hi again, Ashu!

>> I wanted to play with indoor antenna so bought a SKY antenna.
> I tried using a Mohu Leaf, but ran into problems with VHF channels. If
> you're in the States, I'd recommend alternatives to that style of antenna
> given the re-pack that's rolling out across the country. My set-up
> consists of:
> home-made UHF antenna (Gray-Hoverman style)
> home-made VHF antenna (I mimicked this using some spare 8ga or 10ga copper
> wire and a 2x4:
> https://sites.google.com/site/maycreates/ota-setup/diy-vhf-loop-antenna,
> although these instructions are more succinct:
> http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/984307-post13.html)
>
> Both antennas feed into a VHF/UHF combiner (e.g. Radioshack # 1502586
> https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-vhf-uhf-gold-plated-splitter-combiner
> )
>
> Output from the combiner feeds into my HDHomeRun
>
> I tried using EIT but got lousy results: descriptions were spotty and it's
> tough to let the scheduler appropriately prioritize recordings when it can
> only see 2-3 days out. SchedulesDirect is easily worth the nominal yearly
> charge

I'll preface with a "YYMV"  ('your mileage may vary') disclaimer. As I
mentioned in my original reply, the channels reported by the digital
station  now are not accurate as to what their actual broadcast is.   A
station which during the NTSC (analog) era as "Channel 6" was
transmitting at RF 6 on the VHF band.  Now with ATSC (digital) "Channel
6" keeps that nickname because that's what 'everybody' knows it as but
they really transmit at RF 36, a UHF frequency.  (It just so happens 6
went to 36.)  OTOH locally Channel 4 stayed at RF4, so they were NTSC RF
4 and now ATSC still RF 4.

IOW  don't go by their 'nickname' for trying to figure out their
frequencies nor bands.  Wikipedia, TVFool, etc., will give the
information you need.

With that introduction  and reminder, here Channel 4 (transmits at VHF
RF4) is literally 2 miles to my NE.  The rest of the local stations are
at an antenna farm 17 miles SSE.  To receive Channel 4 I needed to
"split the line" and add a rabbit ear antenna.  So I inserted a trusty
2-way splitter/combiner, which worked to get Channel 4 but did some
weird stuff to the UHF stations.  Tried a different 2x; still wrong.
Eventually found out it's not a good idea to use a splitter/
splitter-combiner/etc. to add together signals from a VHF antenna and a
UHF antenna.  One wants a "Diplexer" which (apparently) is also known as
a "UVSJ" or "UHF VHF Separator Joiner".  That fixed my reception
problem!  The UVSJ looks similar to the TV Accessories Department 2x
splitter but instead of passing everything (VHF and UHF) one connector
passes only VHF signals and the other only UHF signals into the coax to
your TVs/MythTV, etc.  (There's a similar one for OTA and Satellite -
wrong option.

Now, I'm not stating the Radio Shack Splitter/Combiner is wrong, I'm
just saying for _my_ application it was wrong and just wanted to let you
know of the possibility.   If you have a junk box you might have one
already: there were devices sold with the rabbit-ear-and-bow-tie (or
circular) antenna that had inputs marked "VHF" and "UHF" -- the screw
terminals on the back of an TV is probably a diplexer.

Hope you get things figured out - MythTV for OTA is wonderful!!  And
yes, the SchedulesDirect 'accessory' is pretty much a must-have. You do
not need SD nor EIT to receive stations, nor tune, just a decent
antenna, which really means a decent signal.  Point the best antenna in
the world the wrong direction and you'll get <poop>.  A coax or bad
connection will also give <poop>

Good Luck!
Barry
Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
FIrst - my apologies - i was out of town for the whole week and couldn't
reply back. So let me start off by saying that when I put the antenna
directly in my TV - i get all the OTA channels (except CBS - channel 2) and
this is without fiddling with this. So as far as the signals go - seems the
signals and the antenna are doing great job.

This brings now to it working with MythTV. I think the problem may be
getting "drivers" for it? Not sure how to get mythtv-setup to recognize it.

SO my question here is - how do I confirm my input card is working? I have
PVR-150 as well as AverTVHD. Here is what I get when I try to find it:

lspci -vvnn | grep Aver
Subsystem: Avermedia Technologies Inc AVerTVHD MCE A180 [1461:1044]
pcilib: sysfs_read_vpd: read failed: Connection timed out

lspci -vvnn | grep PVR
Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. WinTV PVR 150 [0070:8801]
pcilib: sysfs_read_vpd: read failed: Connection timed out

With my limited knowledge, I went to dmesg and here's what I found:

ivtv 0000:03:01.0: firmware: requesting v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw
ivtv0: Loaded v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw firmware (376836 bytes)
ivtv0: Encoder revision: 0x02060039
cx25840 18-0044: firmware: requesting v4l-cx25840.fw
nxt2004: Firmware upload complete
saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_ctl_add
saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_ctl_add
saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_new
saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_new
saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_card_register
saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_card_register
saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_card_free
saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_card_free
saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_stop
saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_stop
saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_ctl_new1
saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_ctl_new1
saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_lib_ioctl
saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_lib_ioctl
saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_ctl_notify
saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_ctl_notify
saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_set_ops
saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_set_ops
saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol
snd_pcm_hw_constraint_integer
saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_hw_constraint_integer
saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_card_create
saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_card_create
saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_period_elapsed
saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_period_elapsed
saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_hw_constraint_step
saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_hw_constraint_step
cx25840 18-0044: loaded v4l-cx25840.fw firmware (16382 bytes)
EXT4-fs (sdb1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts:
EXT4-fs (dm-2): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts:
SGI XFS with ACLs, security attributes, large block/inode numbers, no debug
enabled
SGI XFS Quota Management subsystem
Adding 5865464k swap on /dev/mapper/vg_mythbe-lv_swap. Priority:-1
extents:1 across:5865464k

So - my question is - what do I attach this HD antenna to? I am thinking
AverMediaHD (and NOT the PVR-150?)

Do I absolutely need Schedules Direct subscription for this?

> No. SchedulesDirect is extremely helpful for the recording but
> essentially has nothing to do with the reception.

Yes I figured that - but I meant if Myth doesn't know which programs are
currently going on, then maybe i won't be able to record it but I digress
at this point. First thing for me is to make sure the antenna can see
proper channels. Which one do I attach the antenna do if I don't have
Schedules Direct? I need to tie something so it will allow me to do a
channel scan...

> Here is what I have done (to zero value)
>
> 1. Added antenna to the backend.
> 2. Went to mythtv-setup - selected card type as "DVB-T/S/C, ATSC or
> ISDB-T"
> 1. This brought the DVB device type as /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
> 2. Frontend ID came to: Air2PC v2
> 3. No channels found on scan.
> I am sure I am doing something wrong - so looking for help here
>
> Uh, yeah! Something's wrong! I found Curtis Gadak's guide to be extremely
> useful:
>

> http://gedakc.users.sourceforge.net/display-doc.php?name=pvr-install-mythbuntu1404
> <http://gedakc.users.sourceforge.net/index.php>
>
> Yes, the link is for 14.04 but reasonably accurate for when I did my 16.04
> installs. Take note of Section I if you are using a HVR-2250 capture
> card, otherwise you can probably start at Section X (Configure MythTV
> Backend). One thing I found a hare confusing at first as he talks about
> both OTA and Shaw Cable, I needed to highlight the OTA sections to keep the
> two separate.

I get /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 and Hauppauge options.

http://about.me/adesai
Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 8:55 PM, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> 16.04 installs. Take note of Section I if you are using a HVR-2250
>> capture card, otherwise you can probably start at Section X (Configure
>> MythTV Backend). One thing I found a hare confusing at first as he talks
>> about both OTA and Shaw Cable, I needed to highlight the OTA sections to
>> keep the two separate.
>>

> I get /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 and Hauppauge options.
>
> I think your "2. Card Type" is correct as "T" is 'terrestrial' and 'ATSC'
>> is the TV format used here in the U.S., through almost seems too generic as
>> also allowing options for "S"atellite and "C"able.
>>
>> The "Air2 PC v2" seems wrong. I think it's a more human-generated option
>> like Curtis' "HD Antenna" and "Shaw Cable" options. The "Air2 PC v2"
>> sounds like perhaps a piece of software's second version -- poor example
>> but almost like you're trying to have MythTV look at MythTV when it should

If I'm not mistaken the PVR 150 is an analog card and will not be able to
see digital transmissions picked up by your antenna.
Where you see this "/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0" on the same page should
appear some card specific info, indicating that the card is opened, then it
is a matter of choosing the correct tuning parameters, I believe on the

Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 13 Apr 2018 00:55:11 +0000, you wrote:

> [...]
>> essentially has nothing to do with the reception.
>>
>Yes I figured that - but I meant if Myth doesn't know which programs are
>currently going on, then maybe i won't be able to record it but I digress
>at this point. First thing for me is to make sure the antenna can see
>proper channels. Which one do I attach the antenna do if I don't have
>Schedules Direct? I need to tie something so it will allow me to do a
>channel scan...
>

>> Here is what I have done (to zero value)
>>
>> 1. Added antenna to the backend.
>> 2. Went to mythtv-setup - selected card type as "DVB-T/S/C, ATSC or
>> ISDB-T"
>> 1. This brought the DVB device type as /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
>> 2. Frontend ID came to: Air2PC v2
>> 3. No channels found on scan.
>> I am sure I am doing something wrong - so looking for help here

The PVR-150 card is an old analogue TV card, so it is not relevant.

Your drivers may not be installing properly - the messages about
"saa7134" could be about your AverTVHD card. This page tells you
about that card:

https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/AVerMedia_AVerTVHD_MCE_A180

However, yours seems to be a slightly different version, as it comes
up with the ID numbers 1461:1044 instead of 1131:7133.

So it should be a DVB-T card, with one tuner. If you have no other
digital TV tuners, it should produce a single /dev/dvb/adapter0 device
that looks like this:

root@mypvr:~# ls -ald /dev/dvb/adapter0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 120 Apr 11 00:46 /dev/dvb/adapter0

root@mypvr:~# ls -ald /dev/dvb/adapter0/*
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 32 Apr 11 00:46 /dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 33 Apr 11 00:46 /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 35 Apr 11 00:46
/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 34 Apr 11 00:46 /dev/dvb/adapter0/net0

I am not sure if the net0 device is necessary, but the other three
are. If your drivers are only partially loading, you will likely see
the frontend0 device being missing. If your drivers are not loading
at all, then the entire /dev/dvb/adapter0 directory will be missing.

When you get messages like the ones you are getting such as "disagrees
about version of symbol snd_ctl_add" and then "Unknown symbol
snd_ctl_add", it normally means that your drivers are not compatible
with your kernel version and need to be recompiled for the current
kernel. The symbol table for that symbol now says it has a different
size or format in the kernel from what your driver file has in its
symbol table. Since the drivers for your card are supposed to be
built into the kernel, that should not be happening.

However, it is possible that those messages are referring to a
different device, as you did not post enough of your logs to be able
to tell. It might be a good idea to post the entire section of the
logs from start of bootup until the system is running. Put it on
pastebin.com and post a link.

Is it possible you have other DVB devices in that PC? The name
"Air2PC v2" does not match an AverMedia card. That name appears to be
for a TecniSat ATSC USB tuner for the US market:

https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/TechniSat_Air2PC-ATSC-USB

What does this command show:

ls -al /dev/dvb

So where are you - are you trying to receive DVB-T signals (eg UK,
Europe, Australia, New Zealand) or are you trying to receive ATSC
(USA)?
Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 11:03 PM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> [...]
> crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 34 Apr 11 00:46 /dev/dvb/adapter0/net0
>

> I am not sure if the net0 device is necessary, but the other three
> are. If your drivers are only partially loading, you will likely see
> the frontend0 device being missing. If your drivers are not loading
> at all, then the entire /dev/dvb/adapter0 directory will be missing.
>

> When you get messages like the ones you are getting such as "disagrees
> about version of symbol snd_ctl_add" and then "Unknown symbol
> snd_ctl_add", it normally means that your drivers are not compatible
> with your kernel version and need to be recompiled for the current
> kernel. The symbol table for that symbol now says it has a different
> size or format in the kernel from what your driver file has in its
> symbol table. Since the drivers for your card are supposed to be
> built into the kernel, that should not be happening.

Is this maybe because the antenna wasn't connected at the time? Or should
the driviers showing up regardless?

> However, it is possible that those messages are referring to a
> different device, as you did not post enough of your logs to be able
> to tell. It might be a good idea to post the entire section of the
> logs from start of bootup until the system is running. Put it on
> pastebin.com and post a link.
>
> Is it possible you have other DVB devices in that PC? The name
> "Air2PC v2" does not match an AverMedia card. That name appears to be
> for a TecniSat ATSC USB tuner for the US market:
>
> https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/TechniSat_Air2PC-ATSC-USB
>
> What does this command show:
>
> ls -al /dev/dvb

ls -al /dev/dvb
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 60 Mar 29 04:37 .
drwxr-xr-x 23 root root 4140 Apr 9 20:01 ..
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 120 Mar 29 04:37 adapter0

> So where are you - are you trying to receive DVB-T signals (eg UK,
> Europe, Australia, New Zealand) or are you trying to receive ATSC
> (USA)?
> ___________

I am in US - Chicago area.

Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
Rob <bertaboy@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, Apr 7, 2018 at 11:40 AM, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I wanted to play with indoor antenna so bought a SKY antenna.
>>

> I tried using a Mohu Leaf, but ran into problems with VHF channels. If
> you're in the States, I'd recommend alternatives to that style of antenna
> given the re-pack that's rolling out across the country. My set-up
> consists of:
> home-made UHF antenna (Gray-Hoverman style)
> home-made VHF antenna (I mimicked this using some spare 8ga or 10ga copper
> wire and a 2x4:
> https://sites.google.com/site/maycreates/ota-setup/diy-vhf-loop-antenna,
> although these instructions are more succinct:
> http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/984307-post13.html)
>
> Both antennas feed into a VHF/UHF combiner (e.g. Radioshack # 1502586
> https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-vhf-uhf-gold-plated-splitter-combiner
> )

Thanks for sharing your diy experience, it looks like a fun exercise.

I used one of these

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-33691-Pro-Bar-HD-200-Amplified-Antenna-Indoor-VHF-UHF-HDTV-Antenna-Bar-50-Mile-Range/50901691

for 3 years in north Fargo. We were located roughly on a straight line
between Fox's tower SSE of town and the PBS/NBC/CBS/ABC cluster NNW of
town (secondary stns were broadcast on each, too). IIRC, Fox's tower was
15 miles away and the NNW cluster was 35-40 miles away. Sitting in my
2nd floor office with metal siding, a pretty mature urban forest and
water tower in the line of sight, that antenna brought in the stations
NNW of us with about 90% reliability; Fox's broadcasts were more like
10%. Spring and fall were bad reception times, but winter and summer
were fine. I would guess the broadcasters ineptly adjusted their power
to the changing foliage in spring/fall, but that's just a guess.

I had intended on replacing the cheapo with an exterior antenna, but
since we didn't watch Fox much, I never got around to it.

When we moved to Winnipeg, I discovered a second nice feature of this
cheapo antenna: it does very well (better?) when pointed at right angles
to a tower. That's good news, because the two towers (CTV v. Global/CBC)
are about 100 degrees apart from my location. I think the CTV tower
actually has too much power for the hardware, which leads to lots of bad
recordings when the antenna is pointed at the tower.

Leo
Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 13 Apr 2018 14:26:59 +0000, you wrote:

>On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 11:03 PM Stephen Worthington <
>stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

>> When you get messages like the ones you are getting such as "disagrees
>> about version of symbol snd_ctl_add" and then "Unknown symbol
>> snd_ctl_add", it normally means that your drivers are not compatible
>> with your kernel version and need to be recompiled for the current
>> kernel. The symbol table for that symbol now says it has a different
>> size or format in the kernel from what your driver file has in its
>> symbol table. Since the drivers for your card are supposed to be
>> built into the kernel, that should not be happening.
>>

>Is this maybe because the antenna wasn't connected at the time? Or should
>the driviers showing up regardless?

No, the drivers should load without any aerial connected.

But - the Avermedia AVerTVHD card is the one with the saa7134 chip, so
the problem is with the drivers for that card. Which is not the tuner
you are trying to use in MythTV. The ATSC tuner, Air2PC v2, does not
use that driver, and should therefore not be affected by the problem
with the saa7134 driver. If the AVerTVHD tuner was working, I would
expect that you would have two tuners showing up as /dev/dvb/adapter0
and /dev/dvb/adapter1.

I do have to wonder what on Earth someone in North America is doing
with a DVB-T tuner that can not receive the TV in that part of the
world. Maybe it is the tuner that has a decent remote control? The
remote is not tied to the tuner - they are separate devices and the
remote probably works even though the AVerTVHD tuner driver is not
have the best remote, if it was the model that came with one. My
PVR-500 (dual PVR-150) came with the excellent remote I am still using
even though the PVR-500 itself is long retired.

>> However, it is possible that those messages are referring to a
>> different device, as you did not post enough of your logs to be able
>> to tell. It might be a good idea to post the entire section of the
>> logs from start of bootup until the system is running. Put it on
>> pastebin.com and post a link.
>>
>> Is it possible you have other DVB devices in that PC? The name
>> "Air2PC v2" does not match an AverMedia card. That name appears to be
>> for a TecniSat ATSC USB tuner for the US market:
>>
>> https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/TechniSat_Air2PC-ATSC-USB
>>
>> What does this command show:
>>
>> ls -al /dev/dvb
>>

>ls -al /dev/dvb
>total 0
>drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 60 Mar 29 04:37 .
>drwxr-xr-x 23 root root 4140 Apr 9 20:01 ..
>drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 120 Mar 29 04:37 adapter0
>

>> So where are you - are you trying to receive DVB-T signals (eg UK,
>> Europe, Australia, New Zealand) or are you trying to receive ATSC
>> (USA)?
>> ___________
>

>I am in US - Chicago area.

I am going to make a wild guess here, as to what your real problem is.
I think that you have your aerial connected to the one of the PCI
cards in your PC. You have two that have aerial connectors, the
PVR-500 and the AVerTVHD. Neither of which is the correct tuner to
have the aerial cable on. The ATSC tuner, the only one that will now
work for you, is a USB tuner. So it will be on the end of a USB cable
plugged into one of the PC's USB ports, which might even be on the
front of the PC instead of the back. It is also possible that it is
draped somewhere inside the PC with its USB connected to a header on
the motherboard internally. So you need to find it and plug the
aerial into it.
Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
Seems that the driver doesn't seem to load - or that's what I am getting
when I look in the dmesg.

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 11:14 AM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> >> When you get messages like the ones you are getting such as "disagrees
> >> about version of symbol snd_ctl_add" and then "Unknown symbol
> >> snd_ctl_add", it normally means that your drivers are not compatible
> >> with your kernel version and need to be recompiled for the current
> >> kernel. The symbol table for that symbol now says it has a different
> >> size or format in the kernel from what your driver file has in its
> >> symbol table. Since the drivers for your card are supposed to be
> >> built into the kernel, that should not be happening.

How do I "recompile" or add the drivers again to make sure that isn't the
problem?

> >Is this maybe because the antenna wasn't connected at the time? Or should
> >the driviers showing up regardless?
>
> No, the drivers should load without any aerial connected.
>
> But - the Avermedia AVerTVHD card is the one with the saa7134 chip, so
> the problem is with the drivers for that card. Which is not the tuner
> you are trying to use in MythTV. The ATSC tuner, Air2PC v2, does not
> use that driver, and should therefore not be affected by the problem
> with the saa7134 driver. If the AVerTVHD tuner was working, I would
> expect that you would have two tuners showing up as /dev/dvb/adapter0
> and /dev/dvb/adapter1.
>
> Here's what I find:

ls /dev/dvb/adapter0/
demux0 dvr0 frontend0 net0

> I do have to wonder what on Earth someone in North America is doing
> with a DVB-T tuner that can not receive the TV in that part of the
> world. Maybe it is the tuner that has a decent remote control? The
> remote is not tied to the tuner - they are separate devices and the
> remote probably works even though the AVerTVHD tuner driver is not
> have the best remote, if it was the model that came with one. My
> PVR-500 (dual PVR-150) came with the excellent remote I am still using
> even though the PVR-500 itself is long retired.
>

> >> However, it is possible that those messages are referring to a
> >> different device, as you did not post enough of your logs to be able
> >> to tell. It might be a good idea to post the entire section of the
> >> logs from start of bootup until the system is running. Put it on
> >> pastebin.com and post a link.

here's the link to the dmesg

https://pastebin.com/eVrg1Hh1

> >> Is it possible you have other DVB devices in that PC? The name
> >> "Air2PC v2" does not match an AverMedia card. That name appears to be
> >> for a TecniSat ATSC USB tuner for the US market:
> >>
> >> https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/TechniSat_Air2PC-ATSC-USB
> >>
> >> What does this command show:
> >>
> >> ls -al /dev/dvb
> >>

> >ls -al /dev/dvb
> >total 0
> >drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 60 Mar 29 04:37 .
> >drwxr-xr-x 23 root root 4140 Apr 9 20:01 ..
> >drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 120 Mar 29 04:37 adapter0
> >

> >> So where are you - are you trying to receive DVB-T signals (eg UK,
> >> Europe, Australia, New Zealand) or are you trying to receive ATSC
> >> (USA)?
> >> ___________
> >

> >I am in US - Chicago area.
>
> I am going to make a wild guess here, as to what your real problem is.
> I think that you have your aerial connected to the one of the PCI
> cards in your PC. You have two that have aerial connectors, the
> PVR-500 and the AVerTVHD. Neither of which is the correct tuner to
> have the aerial cable on. The ATSC tuner, the only one that will now
> work for you, is a USB tuner. So it will be on the end of a USB cable
> plugged into one of the PC's USB ports, which might even be on the
> front of the PC instead of the back. It is also possible that it is
> draped somewhere inside the PC with its USB connected to a header on
> the motherboard internally. So you need to find it and plug the
> aerial into it.

The antenna is connected to AverMedia card - i confirmed that.

I haven't used the TV side of myth in over 5 years - maybe more. So I am
not sure when I used the cards last. But when I did - I know i had my cable
plugged in and it used to work fine.

As it stands, currently, NOTHING is plugged in to the PVR-150 and my HD
indoor antenna plugged into the AverMedia card.

Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
On 13/04/18 15:26, Ashu Desai wrote:

> I am in US - Chicago area.

(Re-sent - again - after several change-of-email-address glitches)

Hi: There seems to be some confusion about which device you are trying
to connect to your antenna. At first it looked as if it was a usb
dongle, but then the Aver device appeared. It seems that you are
getting a good signal level, so one or other of those should work.

I wonder if you would do better at first to try with another media
program like VLC, which is perhaps friendlier than myth (at least if it
isn't entirely new to you) just to check that something will work.

John P

Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 12:22 PM John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 13/04/18 15:26, Ashu Desai wrote:
>

> > I am in US - Chicago area.
>
> (Re-sent - again - after several change-of-email-address glitches)
>
> Hi: There seems to be some confusion about which device you are trying
> to connect to your antenna. At first it looked as if it was a usb
> dongle, but then the Aver device appeared. It seems that you are
> getting a good signal level, so one or other of those should work.

The antenna splits into two - one is the coax to plug in and also a usb (I
believe for power?) so i have plugged both in...

> I wonder if you would do better at first to try with another media
> program like VLC, which is perhaps friendlier than myth (at least if it
> isn't entirely new to you) just to check that something will work.

Not sure how to go about doing that - but if you can point me to any steps,
will gladly do it

Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 12:27 PM Ashu Desai <ashu.desai@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 12:22 PM John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 13/04/18 15:26, Ashu Desai wrote:
>>

>> > I am in US - Chicago area.
>>
>> (Re-sent - again - after several change-of-email-address glitches)
>>
>> Hi: There seems to be some confusion about which device you are trying
>> to connect to your antenna. At first it looked as if it was a usb
>> dongle, but then the Aver device appeared. It seems that you are
>> getting a good signal level, so one or other of those should work.
>>

> The antenna splits into two - one is the coax to plug in and also a usb (I
> believe for power?) so i have plugged both in...

This is the actual antenna:
https://www.amazon.com/Amplified-Antenna-SKYTV-Digtial-Antennas-coaxial/dp/B01N5HKEEV

--
http://about.me/adesai
Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
On 13/04/18 18:28, Ashu Desai wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 12:27 PM Ashu Desai <ashu.desai@gmail.com
> <mailto:ashu.desai@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 12:22 PM John Pilkington
> <johnpilk222@gmail.com <mailto:johnpilk222@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> On 13/04/18 15:26, Ashu Desai wrote:
>

> > I am in US - Chicago area.
>
> (Re-sent - again - after several change-of-email-address glitches)
>
> Hi:  There seems to be some confusion about which device you are
> trying
> to connect to your antenna. At first it looked as if it was a usb
> dongle, but then the Aver device appeared.  It seems that you are
> getting a good signal level, so one or other of those should work.
>

> The antenna splits into two - one is the coax to plug in and also a
> usb (I believe for power?) so i have plugged both in...
>

> This is the actual antenna:
> https://www.amazon.com/Amplified-Antenna-SKYTV-Digtial-Antennas-coaxial/dp/B01N5HKEEV
>

> I wonder if you would do better at first to try with another media
> program like VLC, which is perhaps friendlier than myth (at
> least if it
> isn't entirely new to you) just to check that something will work.
>

> Not sure how to go about doing that - but if you can point me to any
> steps, will gladly do it

I'm not sure how easy it would be to do that with your centos6 system.
' # yum install vlc' might work but it might also need lots of other
updates. Finding myth-related components that seem to be needed might
be difficult too...

The antenna info and picture suggest that the usb plug is just for
power, but in your initial post myth apparently found a tuner device
that I don't see now. Does dmesg have any reference to it when you
insert or remove the usb plug?

Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 13 Apr 2018 17:17:34 +0000, you wrote:

>Seems that the driver doesn't seem to load - or that's what I am getting
>when I look in the dmesg.

There is some confusion going on here. MythTV is saying that
/dev/dvb/adapter0 is an "Air2PC v2" tuner, which is a USB ATSC tuner.
But the full dmesg does not show any sign of such a tuner. Instead,
it shows messages that would be expected for a Avermedia AverTVHD
card. But that card is not documented as being an ATSC tuner. So I
have to guess that the Avermedia AverTVHD card that you have is
actually a variant of the card manufactured for the US market that
does ATSC instead of DVB-T. Somehow MythTV seems to be giving the
card the "Air2PC v2" name instead of the correct name. I do not know
where MythTV gets those names, so that is possible, but I would have
expected that it got the name from the hardware or drivers somehow, so
it is a worry that it has the wrong name.

The error messages about saa7134_alsa are impossible to pin down as to
which card they apply to. But the name saa7134 is a chip that is
likely used on the AverTVHD card. The _alsa at the end suggests that
the driver having problems loading is for the audio side of the card,
rather than video, but any driver not loading is going to cause
problems. It might be an idea to try removing the PVR-150 card and
booting without it to see if those saa7134_alsa error messages go
away. That would indicate that the bad driver was being used for the
PVR-150, rather than the AverTVHD card.

The only way I know of to fix that driver problem is to get a working
driver from somewhere. That can involve finding the source code and
compiling it. The kernel comes with a set of V4L (Video for Linux)
drivers that are conservatively chosen - they are older and well
tested. But it looks like the testing has missed your card somehow
and its driver is not compatible - maybe the testers no longer have
one of your model of tuner card to test with. If you are lucky, the
problem you are having has already been fixed in a later version of
the V4L drivers and if you install the latest version of them, it will
work. This page has how to do that:

https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_Obtain,_Build_and_Install_V4L-DVB_Device_Drivers

If, after trying the latest V4L drivers, you want to revert back to
the V4L drivers that are built into kernel packages, you have to
reinstall all the kernel packages. The method of doing that depends
on what distro you are using.

One other option is to go back to an older kernel that is compatible
with the drivers you have.

It is possible to scan for channels from the command line. You do
that by using the "scan" command. Use "man scan" to tell you the
options. In Ubuntu, there is a file here:

/usr/share/dvb/dvb-legacy/atsc/us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB

that provides the "initial-tuning-data-file" for scan's -c option. It
contains all the ATSC frequencies, so many may not be used in your
area and will fail to tune. Let scan go through the whole list of
frequencies, which will take a while. If it will scan, but does not
see any channels on any frequency, then there is likely a problem with
the signal from the aerial. If it will not scan, then the driver
problem is likely making the tuner non-functional.

I think you said that you connected the aerial directly to a TV and
the TV could see your channels. Is that correct? If so, make sure
your TV is able to see the channels before you move the connections
(without bumping the aerial) to the MythTV box and run "scan". That
way you can be sure there is a valid signal for the tuner to use.

In case your distro does not have the us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB
file or some equivalent, here is what is in it:

root@mypvr:~# cat
/usr/share/dvb/dvb-legacy/atsc/us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB
A 57028615 8VSB
A 63028615 8VSB
A 69028615 8VSB
A 79028615 8VSB
A 85028615 8VSB
A 177028615 8VSB
A 183028615 8VSB
A 189028615 8VSB
A 195028615 8VSB
A 201028615 8VSB
A 207028615 8VSB
A 213028615 8VSB
A 473028615 8VSB
A 479028615 8VSB
A 485028615 8VSB
A 491028615 8VSB
A 497028615 8VSB
A 503028615 8VSB
A 509028615 8VSB
A 515028615 8VSB
A 521028615 8VSB
A 527028615 8VSB
A 533028615 8VSB
A 539028615 8VSB
A 545028615 8VSB
A 551028615 8VSB
A 557028615 8VSB
A 563028615 8VSB
A 569028615 8VSB
A 575028615 8VSB
A 581028615 8VSB
A 587028615 8VSB
A 593028615 8VSB
A 599028615 8VSB
A 605028615 8VSB
A 611028615 8VSB
A 617028615 8VSB
A 623028615 8VSB
A 629028615 8VSB
A 635028615 8VSB
A 641028615 8VSB
A 647028615 8VSB
A 653028615 8VSB
A 659028615 8VSB
A 665028615 8VSB
A 671028615 8VSB
A 677028615 8VSB
A 683028615 8VSB
A 689028615 8VSB
A 695028615 8VSB
A 701028615 8VSB
A 707028615 8VSB
A 713028615 8VSB
A 719028615 8VSB
A 725028615 8VSB
A 731028615 8VSB
A 737028615 8VSB
A 743028615 8VSB
A 749028615 8VSB
A 755028615 8VSB
A 761028615 8VSB
A 767028615 8VSB
A 773028615 8VSB
A 779028615 8VSB
A 785028615 8VSB
A 791028615 8VSB
A 797028615 8VSB
A 803028615 8VSB
Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 2:16 PM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Apr 2018 17:17:34 +0000, you wrote:
>
> >Seems that the driver doesn't seem to load - or that's what I am getting
> >when I look in the dmesg.
>
> There is some confusion going on here. MythTV is saying that
> /dev/dvb/adapter0 is an "Air2PC v2" tuner, which is a USB ATSC tuner.
> But the full dmesg does not show any sign of such a tuner. Instead,
> it shows messages that would be expected for a Avermedia AverTVHD
> card. But that card is not documented as being an ATSC tuner. So I
> have to guess that the Avermedia AverTVHD card that you have is
> actually a variant of the card manufactured for the US market that
> does ATSC instead of DVB-T.

That would be strange but have seen stranger things - the reason I say that
is because I used to use this card before Xfinity/Comcast started
encrypting their channels here. For years I used this card to record my
shows. So the card worked fine, I just stopped using that. Also, I haven't
upgraded my myth - it's still running on 0.27. So I guess I am surprised
that without any changes, the drivers/cards stopped being compatible. But I
guess it can happen...

Somehow MythTV seems to be giving the
> card the "Air2PC v2" name instead of the correct name. I do not know
> where MythTV gets those names, so that is possible, but I would have
> expected that it got the name from the hardware or drivers somehow, so
> it is a worry that it has the wrong name.

It also shows other stuff under dvb - here's what I get:

ls /dev/dvb/adapter0/
demux0 dvr0 frontend0 net0

"dvr0" wouldn't be one of them?

http://about.me/adesai
Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
Leo and Ashu:

One of the problems with digital TV is too much signal can be as bad as
too little signal: both conditions will cause the signal to drop out.
With borderline conditions (back-and-forth with too much, too little)
the tuner will pixelate; with too much or too little the screen will
turn blue or otherwise blank.  With Analog/NTSC the screen went 'snowy'.

This is why sometimes amplified antennae work and sometimes they don't.
Then there's the length and type of coax, splitters -- and number (2-way
is 3 dB and 4-way is 6 dB)....

Leo: if the too-much signal is your issue they do make attenuators.  Can
be the variable type or the fixed (3 dB, 6 dB, etc.) type.  Sort of
getting into a different issue from Ashu's.

Ashu:

>>> FIrst - my apologies - i was out of town for the whole week and couldn't reply back. So let me start off by saying that when I put the antenna directly in my TV - i get all the OTA channels (except CBS - channel 2)

Just to drive ya nutz <g>....   The Good News is _any_ antenna will pick
up _any_ signal.  Antennae are basically anything that picks up a
signal.  They start differentiating themselves with selectivity.  The
old 'rabbit ears' antenna was designed to received the old Channel 2
through Channel 13 VHF TV Band _but_ they will also pick up the UHF
band, just not as efficiently.

Channel 2 - Chicago is WBBM:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WBBM-TV  ...OK, over in sidebar off to the
right is what I'm talking about:

Channels <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_%28broadcasting%29>

Digital <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_terrestrial_television>:
12 (VHF <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_high_frequency>)
Virtual <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_channel>: 2 (PSIP
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Program_and_System_Information_Protocol>)
Subchannels <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_subchannel>

* *.1:* 1080i <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080i> 16:9
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16:9> CBS2-HD
* *.2:* 480i <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/480i> 4:3
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4:3> Decades

Translators <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_relay_station> 26
(UHF <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_high_frequency>) Chicago
WMEU-CD <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WMEU-CD> 32.3 and 32.4 (UHF)/
48.3 and 48.4 (PSIP) Chicago

(I wonder how that's going to upload: as I write this it was imported as
a nice chart.)

WBBM says they're "Channel 2" because from the Olde Dayz of NTSC
(analog) they were Channel 2 -- at the very bottom of the VHF band. Now
with ATSC (digital) they're at the top of the VHF band.  WTTW used to be
analog at Channel 11 so where WBBM is now is one click higher.   The
problem in not receiving might be because they (WBBM) are in the VHF
band.  Most of the digital stations moved to the UHF band (Chs 14 to 83
on the old analog sets).  [.There's a technical error in the digital
interpretation of that statement -- I'm trying not to confuse you any
more than you possibly are.]

Most "digital TV antennas" are designed to receive the UHF band and and
essentially ignore the VHF band.  This might be why your test
connection  to your TV did not pick up WBBM.  Could also because the
antenna was pointed in the wrong direction, there's a skyscraper in the
way, there's a metal support beam in the signal path, etc., etc.  You
might be able to get around with moving your present antenna, using a
coupler to add a rabbit ear antenna to your present antenna, or if the
coupler creates problems you probably need to get a UVSJ like I talked
about in a previous message.

OK, back to that chart from  WBBM.  (Actually it's a pretty good example
of a few other things!)

Subchannels section.  They're all the same main channel, just
different.  I sort of think of it as the SCA signal In FM but most
people go 'huh?'.  Sloppier example but workable would be the left and
right channels in FM Stereo.  The left channel is Channel 2.1 and the
right channel is Channel 2.2.  (Oh there are so many things technically
wrong!!)

I'm going to go on to the Translators part.  For whatever reason WBBM
has their main signal at Digital Channel 12 (VHF) but they are also
transmitting at Digital Channel 26, which is a UHF frequency. You might
be able to receive them at RF 26 but not RF 12.

Not trying to confuse the issue but we have a similar translator issue
here in the Quad Cities.  (Yes, I'm 180 miles west of you: Davenport,
Bettendorf, Iowa; Rock Island and Moline in Illinois.) WHBF is Channel 4
and is transmitting on VHF Channel 4 at the Bettendorf IA antenna farm.
They have problems getting that signal into Rock Island (which is
'funny' because their studios are in Rock Island) and so have a second
transmitter at Channel (RF) 47.  We don't quite have those billion-story
skyscrapers <g> but the reception issues have the same effect.

Here at the house I pick up Ch 4 with no problems -- the transmitter is
about 2 miles away.  I can also usually pick up Ch 47 which transmits
about 4 miles away (lower power, directional).  The 'fun' part is some
TVs will see two 4.1's, 4.2, 4.3, and 4.4, some display as 4.1 (etc.)
and 47.1 (etc.), and other TV combine: I have "4.1" but it could be
picking up 47.1.  (Good news: in the Backend my HVR-1600, HVR-2500 and
HVR-950Q kept the two separate as 4.x and 47.x.)

Back to WBBM, I'm also seeing where it appears both of WBBM's channels
are being simulcast on WMEU's 32.3 and 32.4.  I'm not quite sure what
station 48.3 and 48.4 are -- WMEU might have a translator.

Somewhere it was stated you have a PVR-150 and other responses said it
was an analog tuner.  Won't work because it doesn't know what to do with
digital signals.  Hauppauge's HVR-950Q is a pretty good digital tuner.
I'd probably pick up a few, plug them into a powered USB hub, and plug
the hub into a rear panel port.

I mention I'm using HVR-1600 and HVR-2500.  The 1600 is PCI and has a
single tuner.  The 2250 is PCIe and has dual tuners (two tuners in one
board).  I don't recall what available slots are on your motherboard.
I'm not sure if these would be a good option: they were really good when
I purchased but that was years ago.  Tuner sensitivities have improved
since then.  Go with the advice of the others.

Barry
Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 5:43 PM Barry Martin <barry3martin@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> being simulcast on WMEU's 32.3 and 32.4. I'm not quite sure what station
> 48.3 and 48.4 are -- WMEU might have a translator.
>

> Somewhere it was stated you have a PVR-150 and other responses said it was
> an analog tuner. Won't work because it doesn't know what to do with
> digital signals. Hauppauge's HVR-950Q is a pretty good digital tuner. I'd
> probably pick up a few, plug them into a powered USB hub, and plug the hub
> into a rear panel port.
>
> I mention I'm using HVR-1600 and HVR-2500. The 1600 is PCI and has a
> single tuner. The 2250 is PCIe and has dual tuners (two tuners in one
> board). I don't recall what available slots are on your motherboard. I'm
> not sure if these would be a good option: they were really good when I
> purchased but that was years ago. Tuner sensitivities have improved since

Thank you. I am getting the point as I read through this all. My problem at
this point however is that on myth I am unable to get ANY channels! I am
trying to fix that driver issue for now...
Re: Indoor HD antenna question [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 13 Apr 2018 20:32:52 +0000, you wrote:

>On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 2:16 PM Stephen Worthington <
>stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 13 Apr 2018 17:17:34 +0000, you wrote:
>>
>> >Seems that the driver doesn't seem to load - or that's what I am getting
>> >when I look in the dmesg.
>>
>> There is some confusion going on here. MythTV is saying that
>> /dev/dvb/adapter0 is an "Air2PC v2" tuner, which is a USB ATSC tuner.
>> But the full dmesg does not show any sign of such a tuner. Instead,
>> it shows messages that would be expected for a Avermedia AverTVHD
>> card. But that card is not documented as being an ATSC tuner. So I
>> have to guess that the Avermedia AverTVHD card that you have is
>> actually a variant of the card manufactured for the US market that
>> does ATSC instead of DVB-T.
>

>That would be strange but have seen stranger things - the reason I say that
>is because I used to use this card before Xfinity/Comcast started
>encrypting their channels here. For years I used this card to record my
>shows. So the card worked fine, I just stopped using that. Also, I haven't
>upgraded my myth - it's still running on 0.27. So I guess I am surprised
>that without any changes, the drivers/cards stopped being compatible. But I
>guess it can happen...

This is not an incompatibility between MythTV and the tuners, as far
as I can tell. The errors in the log come from an incompatibility
between the kernel and the V4L drivers for your card. So has the
kernel been upgraded, even if MythTV has not?

> Somehow MythTV seems to be giving the
>> card the "Air2PC v2" name instead of the correct name. I do not know
>> where MythTV gets those names, so that is possible, but I would have
>> expected that it got the name from the hardware or drivers somehow, so
>> it is a worry that it has the wrong name.

If you were using the same card with the same version of MythTV and it
was working, the name showing in MythTV should not matter. But was it
showing that name back when it was working?

>It also shows other stuff under dvb - here's what I get:
>
>ls /dev/dvb/adapter0/
>demux0 dvr0 frontend0 net0
>
>"dvr0" wouldn't be one of them?

The "demux0 dvr0 frontend0 net0" devices are all correct for a
normal DVB or ATSC tuner. What we are not sure of now is if they all
work correctly. Trying the "scan" command should tell us whether the
tuner works at a basic level, and then if that works, once scan has
created a channels.conf file, that can be used with an "azap -r
<channel name>" command to tune the tuner to one channel and make that
play on the /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 device. You leave azap running and
in another command prompt run a command line player program like
mplayer to play from the dvr0 device:

mplayer /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0

Mplayer should pop up a window and play the channel. It will also log
to the console to show what is happening, and tell us what went wrong
if it can not play the channel.