to indicate otherwise(?):

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_29.1

More importantly, github only shows a fixes/29 branch.

So what if anything currently constitutes 29.0 vs 29.1? The ebuild
I've put together was based on the most current commit from fixes/29
from 2018-03-24.

Totally confused. Thanks in advance for any clarification.

Tom
Re: MythTV 29.1 and git? [ In reply to ]
On 03/26/2018 07:43 PM, Tom Dexter wrote:
> As I noted in a previous post, I've been setting up a version 29
> Gentoo ebuild. I'm totally confused as to version "29.1". I keep
> reading that 29.1 is released, yet the release notes page for it seems
> to indicate otherwise(?):
>
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_29.1
>
> More importantly, github only shows a fixes/29 branch.
>
> So what if anything currently constitutes 29.0 vs 29.1? The ebuild
> I've put together was based on the most current commit from fixes/29
> from 2018-03-24.
>
> Totally confused. Thanks in advance for any clarification.
>
> Tom

There is not a separate branch for 29.1 - it uses the fixes/29 branch.
29.1 is just a tag in the branch. You can see the version by running
"git describe" in your git directory.

If the release notes page says it is not released, that is an error.

Peter
Re: MythTV 29.1 and git? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 8:15 PM, Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/26/2018 07:43 PM, Tom Dexter wrote:
>>
>> As I noted in a previous post, I've been setting up a version 29
>> Gentoo ebuild. I'm totally confused as to version "29.1". I keep
>> reading that 29.1 is released, yet the release notes page for it seems
>> to indicate otherwise(?):
>>
>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_29.1
>>
>> More importantly, github only shows a fixes/29 branch.
>>
>> So what if anything currently constitutes 29.0 vs 29.1? The ebuild
>> I've put together was based on the most current commit from fixes/29
>> from 2018-03-24.
>>
>> Totally confused. Thanks in advance for any clarification.
>>
>> Tom
>>
> There is not a separate branch for 29.1 - it uses the fixes/29 branch. 29.1
> is just a tag in the branch. You can see the version by running "git
> describe" in your git directory.
>
> If the release notes page says it is not released, that is an error.
>
> Peter

Here's the thing though...and some of this may be my lack of
experience with git: When you say "in your git directory" it's sort of
putting the cart before the horse. What I actually pulled off of
github was based on the most recent commit in fixes/29 (as of
2018-03-24) using this:

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/archive/60e40b352ab95a135ec2ab8f9f1ee93b4f9d245e.tar.gz

I'm guessing that's in fact newer than whatever branch was tagged as
29.1. So basically I'm unclear as to how I'd even check 29.1 out of
git in order to query it's version with "git describe". Clearly I'm
missing something.

I'm sort inclined to go with the newest version anyway, but I'd still
like to understand this.

Thanks!
Tom
Re: MythTV 29.1 and git? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 26 Mar 2018 20:33:55 -0400, you wrote:

>On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 8:15 PM, Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 03/26/2018 07:43 PM, Tom Dexter wrote:
>>>
>>> As I noted in a previous post, I've been setting up a version 29
>>> Gentoo ebuild. I'm totally confused as to version "29.1". I keep
>>> reading that 29.1 is released, yet the release notes page for it seems
>>> to indicate otherwise(?):
>>>
>>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_29.1
>>>
>>> More importantly, github only shows a fixes/29 branch.
>>>
>>> So what if anything currently constitutes 29.0 vs 29.1? The ebuild
>>> I've put together was based on the most current commit from fixes/29
>>> from 2018-03-24.
>>>
>>> Totally confused. Thanks in advance for any clarification.
>>>
>>> Tom
>>>
>> There is not a separate branch for 29.1 - it uses the fixes/29 branch. 29.1
>> is just a tag in the branch. You can see the version by running "git
>> describe" in your git directory.
>>
>> If the release notes page says it is not released, that is an error.
>>
>> Peter
>
>Here's the thing though...and some of this may be my lack of
>experience with git: When you say "in your git directory" it's sort of
>putting the cart before the horse. What I actually pulled off of
>github was based on the most recent commit in fixes/29 (as of
>2018-03-24) using this:
>
>https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/archive/60e40b352ab95a135ec2ab8f9f1ee93b4f9d245e.tar.gz
>
>I'm guessing that's in fact newer than whatever branch was tagged as
>29.1. So basically I'm unclear as to how I'd even check 29.1 out of
>git in order to query it's version with "git describe". Clearly I'm
>missing something.
>
>I'm sort inclined to go with the newest version anyway, but I'd still
>like to understand this.
>
>Thanks!
>Tom

You would need to use the "git" command, rather than downloading an
archive:

https://code.mythtv.org/trac/wiki/UsingGit
Re: MythTV 29.1 and git? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 8:33 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 8:15 PM, Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 03/26/2018 07:43 PM, Tom Dexter wrote:
>>>
>>> As I noted in a previous post, I've been setting up a version 29
>>> Gentoo ebuild. I'm totally confused as to version "29.1". I keep
>>> reading that 29.1 is released, yet the release notes page for it seems
>>> to indicate otherwise(?):
>>>
>>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_29.1
>>>
>>> More importantly, github only shows a fixes/29 branch.
>>>
>>> So what if anything currently constitutes 29.0 vs 29.1? The ebuild
>>> I've put together was based on the most current commit from fixes/29
>>> from 2018-03-24.
>>>
>>> Totally confused. Thanks in advance for any clarification.
>>>
>>> Tom
>>>
>> There is not a separate branch for 29.1 - it uses the fixes/29 branch. 29.1
>> is just a tag in the branch. You can see the version by running "git
>> describe" in your git directory.
>>
>> If the release notes page says it is not released, that is an error.
>>
>> Peter
>
> Here's the thing though...and some of this may be my lack of
> experience with git: When you say "in your git directory" it's sort of
> putting the cart before the horse. What I actually pulled off of
> github was based on the most recent commit in fixes/29 (as of
> 2018-03-24) using this:
>
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/archive/60e40b352ab95a135ec2ab8f9f1ee93b4f9d245e.tar.gz
>
> I'm guessing that's in fact newer than whatever branch was tagged as
> 29.1. So basically I'm unclear as to how I'd even check 29.1 out of
> git in order to query it's version with "git describe". Clearly I'm
> missing something.
>
> I'm sort inclined to go with the newest version anyway, but I'd still
> like to understand this.
>
> Thanks!
> Tom

OK...never mind. I was able to find out the version from here:

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/releases

...which shows this as the commit:

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/9b7b96283458073007a8f3801d5284fb59af3979

That clear things up for me. Thanks!
Tom
Re: MythTV 29.1 and git? [ In reply to ]
On 03/26/2018 08:33 PM, Tom Dexter wrote:
> Here's the thing though...and some of this may be my lack of
> experience with git: When you say "in your git directory" it's sort of
> putting the cart before the horse. What I actually pulled off of
> github was based on the most recent commit in fixes/29 (as of
> 2018-03-24) using this:
>
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/archive/60e40b352ab95a135ec2ab8f9f1ee93b4f9d245e.tar.gz
>
> I'm guessing that's in fact newer than whatever branch was tagged as
> 29.1. So basically I'm unclear as to how I'd even check 29.1 out of
> git in order to query it's version with "git describe". Clearly I'm
> missing something.
>
> I'm sort inclined to go with the newest version anyway, but I'd still
> like to understand this.

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/archive/v29.1.zip

which is available from the MythTV mythtv repository (
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv ). Click on "Branch: master" to get a
list of branches available, then click on the Tags tab, then v29.1.
Then you can click on "Clone or download" to get the appropriate URIs.

Mike
Re: MythTV 29.1 and git? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 6:49 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean@thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 03/26/2018 08:33 PM, Tom Dexter wrote:
>>
>> Here's the thing though...and some of this may be my lack of
>> experience with git: When you say "in your git directory" it's sort of
>> putting the cart before the horse. What I actually pulled off of
>> github was based on the most recent commit in fixes/29 (as of
>> 2018-03-24) using this:
>>

>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/archive/60e40b352ab95a135ec2ab8f9f1ee93b4f9d245e.tar.gz
>>
>> I'm guessing that's in fact newer than whatever branch was tagged as
>> 29.1. So basically I'm unclear as to how I'd even check 29.1 out of
>> git in order to query it's version with "git describe". Clearly I'm
>> missing something.
>>
>> I'm sort inclined to go with the newest version anyway, but I'd still
>> like to understand this.
>>
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/archive/v29.1.zip
>
> which is available from the MythTV mythtv repository (
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv ). Click on "Branch: master" to get a list
> of branches available, then click on the Tags tab, then v29.1. Then you can
> click on "Clone or download" to get the appropriate URIs.
>
> Mike

As noted in my previous email, I was in fact able to figure out the
commit that was tagged as 29.1. In order to get the newest commit
version from fixes/29 I was able to use:

git clone -b fixes/29 https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv.git

Due to the nature of the Gentoo ebuild, I needed to specify the
version using the commit version. It appears that zip files of all the
releases (including 29.1) are available at the
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/releases page.

As to what you describe regarding the git repo page, unless I'm
missing something, github doesn't make it that easy at all. In the
dropdown of branches you can select fixes/29. However once you're
there, there is no option to select by tag at all, and the zip
download under "Clone or download" will only get you 29.0. What's even
more confusing is that the "Clone or download" dialog always shows
only the URL that will get you master
(https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv.git) regardless of what branch you
choose.

Anyway...I've been able to get what I need, but that main github page
is a bit confusing.

Tom
Re: MythTV 29.1 and git? [ In reply to ]
On 03/27/2018 08:15 AM, Tom Dexter wrote:

> As noted in my previous email, I was in fact able to figure out the
> commit that was tagged as 29.1. In order to get the newest commit
> version from fixes/29 I was able to use:
>
> git clone -b fixes/29 https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv.git
Nice work on the gentoo ebuild. Did you manage to create one for
media-plugins/mythplugins?
Re: MythTV 29.1 and git? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 3:20 AM, Rajil Saraswat <rajil.s@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/27/2018 08:15 AM, Tom Dexter wrote:
>>
>> As noted in my previous email, I was in fact able to figure out the
>> commit that was tagged as 29.1. In order to get the newest commit
>> version from fixes/29 I was able to use:
>>
>> git clone -b fixes/29 https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv.git
> Nice work on the gentoo ebuild. Did you manage to create one for
> media-plugins/mythplugins?

Thanks! While I don't use any of the plugins and haven't tested it,
I've attached a version of that to that bug using the same version as
the mythtv ebuild.

You'll also see my explanation of why you're build failed. The ebuild
needs to have the original name I used, as mythtv-29.1.ebuild and NOT
mythtv-0.29.1.ebuild.

Tom
Re: MythTV 29.1 and git? [ In reply to ]
On 27/03/18 00:43, Tom Dexter wrote:
> As I noted in a previous post, I've been setting up a version 29
> Gentoo ebuild. I'm totally confused as to version "29.1". I keep
> reading that 29.1 is released, yet the release notes page for it seems
> to indicate otherwise(?):
>
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_29.1
>
> More importantly, github only shows a fixes/29 branch.
>
> So what if anything currently constitutes 29.0 vs 29.1? The ebuild
> I've put together was based on the most current commit from fixes/29
> from 2018-03-24.
>
> Totally confused. Thanks in advance for any clarification.
>
> Tom

So for Gentoo users who like to be bleeding edge, just track
the relevant fixes branch.

The minor update releases ie. v29.1 are really for those
who do not track the fixes branch. In reality all they are
is a roll up of fixes already committed to the fixes branch

Regards
Stuart Auchterlonie

Re: MythTV 29.1 and git? [ In reply to ]
On 27/03/18 14:15, Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 6:49 AM, Michael T. Dean
> <mtdean@thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>> On 03/26/2018 08:33 PM, Tom Dexter wrote:
>>>
>>> Here's the thing though...and some of this may be my lack of
>>> experience with git: When you say "in your git directory" it's sort of
>>> putting the cart before the horse. What I actually pulled off of
>>> github was based on the most recent commit in fixes/29 (as of
>>> 2018-03-24) using this:
>>>

>>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/archive/60e40b352ab95a135ec2ab8f9f1ee93b4f9d245e.tar.gz
>>>
>>> I'm guessing that's in fact newer than whatever branch was tagged as
>>> 29.1. So basically I'm unclear as to how I'd even check 29.1 out of
>>> git in order to query it's version with "git describe". Clearly I'm
>>> missing something.
>>>
>>> I'm sort inclined to go with the newest version anyway, but I'd still
>>> like to understand this.
>>>
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/archive/v29.1.zip
>>
>> which is available from the MythTV mythtv repository (
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv ). Click on "Branch: master" to get a list
>> of branches available, then click on the Tags tab, then v29.1. Then you can
>> click on "Clone or download" to get the appropriate URIs.
>>
>> Mike
>>

> As noted in my previous email, I was in fact able to figure out the
> commit that was tagged as 29.1. In order to get the newest commit
> version from fixes/29 I was able to use:
>
> git clone -b fixes/29 https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv.git
>
> Due to the nature of the Gentoo ebuild, I needed to specify the
> version using the commit version. It appears that zip files of all the
> releases (including 29.1) are available at the
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/releases page.

The requirement to use the commit version, would probably make it
*easier* to use the fixes branch, and use the git hash as the version?

Regards
Stuart

Re: MythTV 29.1 and git? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 5:01 AM, Stuart Auchterlonie
<stuarta@squashedfrog.net> wrote:
> On 27/03/18 14:15, Tom Dexter wrote:
>>

>> As noted in my previous email, I was in fact able to figure out the
>> commit that was tagged as 29.1. In order to get the newest commit
>> version from fixes/29 I was able to use:
>>
>> git clone -b fixes/29 https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv.git
>>
>> Due to the nature of the Gentoo ebuild, I needed to specify the
>> version using the commit version. It appears that zip files of all the
>> releases (including 29.1) are available at the
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/releases page.
>>

> The requirement to use the commit version, would probably make it
> *easier* to use the fixes branch, and use the git hash as the version?
>

> Regards
> Stuart

Hey Stuart. Thanks for the feedback on this. Actually yes...the
ebuilds use the git hash version:

BACKPORTS="60e40b352ab95a135ec2ab8f9f1ee93b4f9d245e"

...which actually does make is easier to use the most recent fixes
(which was what I did with my own ebuild). The only thing that got
trickier was trying to determine which of those constituted "29.1",
but it sounds like that's sort of moot for fixes.

Thanks again! The new ebuild's worked out very well.

Tom