Mailing List Archive

Logitech Harmony Hub, IR receiver, Bluetooth and Computer Wakeup
Hello,

I have a LIRC receiver and a Harmony hub. In addition i have two
remotes, a MCE remote and a the logitech One remote which came with the
hub. Both the remotes are working with Mythtv. The harmony hub works via
bluetooth.

My intentions are to get rid of the MCE remote. The only hurdle in the
way is the Logitech Remote is not able to Power On the computer from
switch off state. The MCE remote does do that. I am looking for a way of
using the 'Off' button on the Logitech remote to switch the computer Off/On.

The bottom of this article [1] suggests that Harmony hub can fire off an
IR command to turn on the computer and later on bluetooth can be used to
control it. Unfortunately, I wasnt able to reproduce it.  Does anybody
have alternate instructions?

Thanks


[1]
https://www.howtogeek.com/246670/how-to-control-your-home-theater-pc-with-a-logitech-harmony-remote/


_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: Logitech Harmony Hub, IR receiver, Bluetooth and Computer Wakeup [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Feb 10, 2018 at 6:56 PM, Rajil Saraswat <rajil.s@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a LIRC receiver and a Harmony hub. In addition i have two
> remotes, a MCE remote and a the logitech One remote which came with the
> hub. Both the remotes are working with Mythtv. The harmony hub works via
> bluetooth.
>
> My intentions are to get rid of the MCE remote. The only hurdle in the
> way is the Logitech Remote is not able to Power On the computer from
> switch off state. The MCE remote does do that. I am looking for a way of
> using the 'Off' button on the Logitech remote to switch the computer
> Off/On.
>
> The bottom of this article [1] suggests that Harmony hub can fire off an
> IR command to turn on the computer and later on bluetooth can be used to
> control it. Unfortunately, I wasnt able to reproduce it. Does anybody
> have alternate instructions?
>
> Thanks
>
>
> [1]
> https://www.howtogeek.com/246670/how-to-control-your-
> home-theater-pc-with-a-logitech-harmony-remote/
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users@mythtv.org
> http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
> http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
> MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
>

I few years ago I was on the hunt to find a devise that could toggle the
power to my media PC and I came upon this gizmo (
http://simerec.com/PCS-1a.html) It works well to power on/off a pc via IR.

At the time I was only using IR to control the pc, But now I switched to
BT via my Harmony hub. You can still set a IR code via Harmony to pc wile
using BT. it all works very well.

The only drawback is the gizmo is meant for a DIY media PC and not really a
easy way to integrate in to book sized media PC's.

Just one idea.
Re: Logitech Harmony Hub, IR receiver, Bluetooth and Computer Wakeup [ In reply to ]
On 02/10/2018 09:17 PM, Kris J wrote:
>
> I few years ago I was on the hunt to find a devise that could toggle
> the power to my media PC and I came upon this gizmo
> (http://simerec.com/PCS-1a.html) It works well to power on/off a pc
> via IR.
>
> At the time I was only using IR to control the pc,  But now I switched
> to BT via my Harmony hub. You can still set a IR code via Harmony to
> pc wile using BT. it all works very well. 
>
> The only drawback is the gizmo is meant for a DIY media PC and not
> really a easy way to integrate in to book sized media PC's.
>
> Just one idea. 
>
I was finally able to add send IR using Harmony hub. The device to add
was Microsoft/Media Center PC SE for IR.
Re: Logitech Harmony Hub, IR receiver, Bluetooth and Computer Wakeup [ In reply to ]
---- On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 19:26:17 +0000 Rajil Saraswat <rajil.s@gmail.com> wrote ----
> On 02/10/2018 09:17 PM, Kris J wrote:
>
> I few years ago I was on the hunt to find a devise that could toggle the power to my media PC and I came upon this gizmo (http://simerec.com/PCS-1a.html) It works well to power on/off a pc via IR.
> At the time I was only using IR to control the pc, But now I switched to BT via my Harmony hub. You can still set a IR code via Harmony to pc wile using BT. it all works very well.
> The only drawback is the gizmo is meant for a DIY media PC and not really a easy way to integrate in to book sized media PC's.
> Just one idea.
> I was finally able to add send IR using Harmony hub. The device to add was Microsoft/Media Center PC SE for IR.
>
>

That was one way to handle IR wakeup however i found this was the bit that was the most unreliable for me, hence moving to BT control a few months ago.

as an example, the bluetooth on my intel nuc (celeron 2820/2830) seems to run over USB, as i need the wake-on-USB enabled in the bios for bluetooth to wake up the nuc. This needs both bios support and a few commands in your distro to ensure the USB controller&device is set to allow wakeup.
what i did find is that the harmony hub & nuc would loose bluetooth pairing after a while of the system being off. It did seem to queue BT commands, but the initial re-connection period is 10-20secs. that and what i suspect is a HDMI handshaking issue with my equipment make the system somewhat unreliable and intermittent with the S3 wakeup process.

thankfully, my 2820 nuc uses next to no power when idle (5-7w), so i just leave it on 24/7 now.

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org