Mailing List Archive

Frontend cannot connect to backend after upgrade from 0.28 to 29
Hi,

I'm running Mythbuntu 16.04 on a box with both a frontend and backend, and
I upgraded from 0.28 fixes to 29 fixes. After the upgrade, the frontend
will not connect to the backend. The backend logs show the message "Client
speaks protocol version 88 but we speak 91!".

Rebooting (twice) didn't fix the issue.

Running mythfrontend --version returns
MythTV Version : v29.1
MythTV Branch : fixes/29
Network Protocol : 91
Library API : 29.20180131–3
QT Version : 5.5.1

which looks correct. Both frontend and backend packages have
versions 29.0+fixes.20180202.9b7b962–0ubuntu0mythbuntu3.

The backend logs show that the database upgraded OK (at least there were no
errors in the logs).

I'm stumped. Does anyone have any ideas?

BTW I have been running mythtv for over 10 years and have upgraded many
times without this issue.

Cheers,
Justin.
Re: Frontend cannot connect to backend after upgrade from 0.28 to 29 [ In reply to ]
On 06/02/18 15:11, Justin Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Mythbuntu 16.04 on a box with both a frontend and backend,
> and I upgraded from 0.28 fixes to 29 fixes. After the upgrade, the
> frontend will not connect to the backend. The backend logs show the
> message "Client speaks protocol version 88 but we speak 91!".
>
> Rebooting (twice) didn't fix the issue.
>
> Running mythfrontend --version returns
> MythTV Version : v29.1
> MythTV Branch : fixes/29
> Network Protocol : 91
> Library API : 29.20180131–3
> QT Version : 5.5.1
>
> which looks correct. Both frontend and backend packages have
> versions 29.0+fixes.20180202.9b7b962–0ubuntu0mythbuntu3.
>
> The backend logs show that the database upgraded OK (at least there
> were no errors in the logs).
>
> I'm stumped. Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> BTW I have been running mythtv for over 10 years and have upgraded
> many times without this issue.
>

> Cheers,
> Justin.

Just checking, but when you did the upgrade you  did do ( after adding
the ppa:mythbuntu/0.29)

sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade

I have forgotten this a few times!

Mike
Re: Frontend cannot connect to backend after upgrade from 0.28 to 29 [ In reply to ]
On 06/02/18 16:11, Justin Smith wrote:
> I'm stumped. Does anyone have any ideas?

There is database upgrade code in multiple places - have you tried
running mythtv-setup (while the backend is down)?
Re: Frontend cannot connect to backend after upgrade from 0.28 to 29 [ In reply to ]
It is not a database issue. The frontend is using the wrong version of
mythtv. Run mythfrontend --version on the frontend I doubt it reports the
same as the backend. If it does try launching it directly, maybe you have
two mythfrontend binaries on your system in two different paths.

~mitch

Re: Frontend cannot connect to backend after upgrade from 0.28 to 29 [ In reply to ]
My money is on not all packages were upgraded due to not running
dist-upgrade.

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018, 10:21 AM Mitch Capper <mitch.capper@gmail.com> wrote:

> It is not a database issue. The frontend is using the wrong version of
> mythtv. Run mythfrontend --version on the frontend I doubt it reports the
> same as the backend. If it does try launching it directly, maybe you have
> two mythfrontend binaries on your system in two different paths.
>

> ~mitch
>
> On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 7:36 AM, Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 06/02/18 16:11, Justin Smith wrote:
>> > I'm stumped. Does anyone have any ideas?
>>
>> There is database upgrade code in multiple places - have you tried
>> running mythtv-setup (while the backend is down)?

-Thomas
Re: Frontend cannot connect to backend after upgrade from 0.28 to 29 [ In reply to ]
On 02/06/2018 09:11 AM, Justin Smith wrote:
> I'm running Mythbuntu 16.04 on a box with both a frontend and backend, and
> I upgraded from 0.28 fixes to 29 fixes. After the upgrade, the frontend
> will not connect to the backend. The backend logs show the message "Client
> speaks protocol version 88 but we speak 91!".

88 may be a red herring as some 3rd party applications use it. Take a
look at mythfrontend.log.

--
Bill
Re: Frontend cannot connect to backend after upgrade from 0.28 to 29 [ In reply to ]

> Just checking, but when you did the upgrade you did do ( after adding
> the ppa:mythbuntu/0.29)
> sudo apt update
> sudo apt dist-upgrade
> I have forgotten this a few times!

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I upgraded via the Mythbuntu Control Centre which does this for you. I
verified both that the packages were upgraded and that the new frontend
version is 29 (as I stated in the email).

The 29 repository is enabled and the 0.28 repository is disabled.

Cheers,
Justin.
Re: Frontend cannot connect to backend after upgrade from 0.28 to 29 [ In reply to ]

> > I'm stumped. Does anyone have any ideas?
>

> There is database upgrade code in multiple places - have you tried
> running mythtv-setup (while the backend is down)?

Yes I have confirmed that the backend connection details are correct
(backend host, DB user/password, etc).

I did this by clicking on Setup after the frontend timed out trying to
connect.

Thanks,
Justin.
Re: Frontend cannot connect to backend after upgrade from 0.28 to 29 [ In reply to ]

> It is not a database issue. The frontend is using the wrong version of
> mythtv. Run mythfrontend --version on the frontend I doubt it reports the
> same as the backend. If it does try launching it directly, maybe you have
> two mythfrontend binaries on your system in two different paths.

Hi Mitch,

I ran mythfrontend --version (see my original email) and it reported that
the Network Protocol is 91 which is what the backend claims it wants.

I thought about the two frontend binaries cause, but the binary names have
not changed and are installed in the same folder (/usr/bin). The new one
overwrites the old.

There is a whole bunch of files under .mythtv/cache/mythfrontend-<host>. I
wonder if this is causing something funny... Can they be deleted?

Cheers,
Justin.
Re: Frontend cannot connect to backend after upgrade from 0.28 to 29 [ In reply to ]

> My money is on not all packages were upgraded due to not running
> dist-upgrade.

Thanks Thomas.

I ran sudo apt dist-upgrade just now in case you are right. But the output
suggests all is upgraded fine:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done

Justin.
Re: Frontend cannot connect to backend after upgrade from 0.28 to 29 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 3:43 AM Justin Smith <justin@smithpolglase.com>
wrote:

> My money is on not all packages were upgraded due to not running
>> dist-upgrade.
>

> Thanks Thomas.
>
> I ran sudo apt dist-upgrade just now in case you are right. But the output
> suggests all is upgraded fine:
>
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Calculating upgrade... Done
>

> Cheers,
> Justin.

What's the output of 'dpkg -l | grep myth'
--
-Thomas
Re: Frontend cannot connect to backend after upgrade from 0.28 to 29 [ In reply to ]
Justin Smith <justin@smithpolglase.com> writes:

>> My money is on not all packages were upgraded due to not running
>> dist-upgrade.
>

> Thanks Thomas.
>
> I ran sudo apt dist-upgrade just now in case you are right. But the output
> suggests all is upgraded fine:
>
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Calculating upgrade... Done

Justin, does your backend happen to have both ip4 and ip6 addresses?

I have had a similar issue recently on my 0.28 system. It was resolved
by setting both ip4 and ip6 addresses in mythtv-setup (and making sure
the firewall was configured correctly). I had previously left the ip6
address unset, for no good reason.

pgbennet's answer here

https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?t=2277&p=11179

and some other experience, suggested to me that I should try this.

Leo
Re: Frontend cannot connect to backend after upgrade from 0.28 to 29 [ In reply to ]

> Justin, does your backend happen to have both ip4 and ip6 addresses?
> I have had a similar issue recently on my 0.28 system. It was resolved
> by setting both ip4 and ip6 addresses in mythtv-setup (and making sure
> the firewall was configured correctly). I had previously left the ip6
> address unset, for no good reason.
> pgbennet's answer here
> https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?t=2277&p=11179
> and some other experience, suggested to me that I should try this.

Thanks Leo, your email lead me to the fix, although I'm not really sure why
it worked...

I stopped the backend - which had similar MythSocket errors as seen by the
user who created the issue in the link you posted.

I then ran mythtv-setup and went to the General page, didn't change
anything (all settings were correct already) but saved anyway. Then exited
mythtv-setup.

When exiting, mythtv-setup complained about not having write-access to my
mythtv/livetv folder, which I fixed (surely this wasn't the cause).

I then started the backend, then the frontend, and all was well.

For reference, I have never set up an ip6 address on my home network,
including mythtv.

Cheers,
Justin.