structure and learn how to use mysql to display useful things in the
database that might not have a built in equivalent FE display.

Jim A

Re: 2 basic questions [ In reply to ]
On 04/02/18 14:30, Jim Abernathy wrote:
> 1.  I can't figure out how to edit the keys so I can create a bookmark
> key for my remote.  When I need a function on my Harmony Hub remote, I
> just add a key by editing keys in the frontend and then assign that
> key to a button on the remote.  It's always been easy to do then
> except for the spacebar that is used to create a bookmark.  What I
> want to do is be able to stop and recorded playback and then start it
> back up later at the same place. Bookmarks seem to work if I'm using a
> keyboard, but I can't find a way to assign the spacebar to anything.
> And I can't find the bookmark function.  I know I'm missing something
> simple somewhere.
>
> 2.  What's the best why to learn about the mythtv mysql database
> structure and learn how to use mysql to display useful things in the
> database that might not have a built in equivalent FE display.
>

> Jim A

For 1.

Don.t know about assigning a key to Bookmark (I did a very quick check
on Edit Keys but could not see anything)

However you can set in  (frontend Setup>Video>Playback>General
Playback)  "Action on playback exit" to "Always prompt (including Live
TV)" or "Always prompt (excluding Live TV)".

This  gives a pop when you exit a recording and allows you to:

Save this position and go to the menu (when you select the recording
again, it starts playing from where you finished last time)
Do not save,just exit to the menu
Delete this recording
Keep Watching

For 2.

As an alternative to mysql, I suggest you look at mythtv Services API
which allows you to view many types of data relating to mythtv in your
browser.
See https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Services_API

For example the following will list every upcoming recording (just
change the ip 192.168.0.20 to your ip  or localhost if running on same
machine as the backend)

http://192.168.0.20:6544/Dvr/GetUpcomingList

Mike

Re: 2 basic questions [ In reply to ]
Hoi Jim,

> 1.  I can't figure out how to edit the keys so I can create a bookmark
> key for my remote.  When I need a function on my Harmony Hub remote, I
> just add a key by editing keys in the frontend and then assign that key
> to a button on the remote.  It's always been easy to do then except for
> the spacebar that is used to create a bookmark.  What I want to do is be
> able to stop and recorded playback and then start it back up later at
> the same place. Bookmarks seem to work if I'm using a keyboard, but I
> can't find a way to assign the spacebar to anything. And I can't find
> the bookmark function.  I know I'm missing something simple somewhere.

As far as I know by default Enter/Space (usually mapped to the OK
button) while playing a recording stores a bookmark. So the same key
with which you start a recording! (although you might use Play (P or
ctrl-P) to start playback)
But easier is enabling the setting to automatically store a bookmark
on exiting playback. Like Mike describes but then the setting "Save
Position and Exit" as to me always being prompted is very annoying.
But although I most of the time to be sure press the Enter/Space/OK
key before exiting, it to my knowledge always remembers my exit point,
but on a global level. So if I exit on one frontend and then start
playback on another one, it resumes where I exited.

> 2.  What's the best why to learn about the mythtv mysql database
> structure and learn how to use mysql to display useful things in the
> database that might not have a built in equivalent FE display.

There is a database description in the WIKI, but it is strongly
suggested to use the API instead.

> Jim A

Tot mails,
Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop
Het eeuwige dilemma

De lerende Mens

Re: 2 basic questions [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 8:03 PM Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. I can't figure out how to edit the keys so I can create a bookmark
> key for my remote. When I need a function on my Harmony Hub remote, I
> just add a key by editing keys in the frontend and then assign that key
> to a button on the remote. It's always been easy to do then except for
> the spacebar that is used to create a bookmark. What I want to do is be
> able to stop and recorded playback and then start it back up later at
> the same place. Bookmarks seem to work if I'm using a keyboard, but I
> can't find a way to assign the spacebar to anything. And I can't find
> the bookmark function. I know I'm missing something simple somewhere.

Do you have mythfrontend configured to prompt you to save the bookmark when
you exit a recording? When exiting watching a recording it can prompt you
with options to:

Don't exit
Save & exit.
Don't save & exit

I am not sure why that setting is not the default, but it sounds like
exactly what you want. I am currently away from home, so cannot tell you
were to find that setting.

John
Re: 2 basic questions [ In reply to ]
> On Feb 4, 2018, at 10:40 AM, Mike Bibbings <mike.bibbings@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 04/02/18 14:30, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>> 1. I can't figure out how to edit the keys so I can create a bookmark key for my remote. When I need a function on my Harmony Hub remote, I just add a key by editing keys in the frontend and then assign that key to a button on the remote. It's always been easy to do then except for the spacebar that is used to create a bookmark. What I want to do is be able to stop and recorded playback and then start it back up later at the same place. Bookmarks seem to work if I'm using a keyboard, but I can't find a way to assign the spacebar to anything. And I can't find the bookmark function. I know I'm missing something simple somewhere.
>>
>> 2. What's the best why to learn about the mythtv mysql database structure and learn how to use mysql to display useful things in the database that might not have a built in equivalent FE display.
>>

>> Jim A
>
> For 1.
>
> Don.t know about assigning a key to Bookmark (I did a very quick check on Edit Keys but could not see anything)
>
> However you can set in (frontend Setup>Video>Playback>General Playback) "Action on playback exit" to "Always prompt (including Live TV)" or "Always prompt (excluding Live TV)".
>
> This gives a pop when you exit a recording and allows you to:
>
> Save this position and go to the menu (when you select the recording again, it starts playing from where you finished last time)
> Do not save,just exit to the menu
> Delete this recording
> Keep Watching

This works great for what I want. Simple to configure the FE. Thanks.

> For 2.
>
> As an alternative to mysql, I suggest you look at mythtv Services API which allows you to view many types of data relating to mythtv in your browser.
> See https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Services_API
>
> For example the following will list every upcoming recording (just change the ip 192.168.0.20 to your ip or localhost if running on same machine as the backend)
>
> http://192.168.0.20:6544/Dvr/GetUpcomingList
>
> Mike

A lot to learn, but I think this is what I need.

Jim A

Re: 2 basic questions [ In reply to ]
Jim Abernathy
jfabernathy@gmail.com

> On Feb 4, 2018, at 11:27 AM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hoi Jim,
>
> Sunday, February 4, 2018, 3:30:38 PM, you wrote:
>
>> 1. I can't figure out how to edit the keys so I can create a bookmark
>> key for my remote. When I need a function on my Harmony Hub remote, I
>> just add a key by editing keys in the frontend and then assign that key
>> to a button on the remote. It's always been easy to do then except for
>> the spacebar that is used to create a bookmark. What I want to do is be
>> able to stop and recorded playback and then start it back up later at
>> the same place. Bookmarks seem to work if I'm using a keyboard, but I
>> can't find a way to assign the spacebar to anything. And I can't find
>> the bookmark function. I know I'm missing something simple somewhere.
>
> As far as I know by default Enter/Space (usually mapped to the OK
> button) while playing a recording stores a bookmark. So the same key
> with which you start a recording! (although you might use Play (P or
> ctrl-P) to start playback)
> But easier is enabling the setting to automatically store a bookmark
> on exiting playback. Like Mike describes but then the setting "Save
> Position and Exit" as to me always being prompted is very annoying.
> But although I most of the time to be sure press the Enter/Space/OK
> key before exiting, it to my knowledge always remembers my exit point,
> but on a global level. So if I exit on one frontend and then start
> playback on another one, it resumes where I exited.

So the select/ok button does create a bookmark and it remembers it after I exit. But on my system is is not global. I just tested on 2 FEs and neither method is global.

Jim A

Re: 2 basic questions [ In reply to ]
Hoi James,

> Jim Abernathy
> jfabernathy@gmail.com

> On Feb 4, 2018, at 11:27 AM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hoi Jim,

> Sunday, February 4, 2018, 3:30:38 PM, you wrote:

> 1. I can't figure out how to edit the keys so I can create a bookmark
> key for my remote. When I need a function on my Harmony Hub remote, I
> just add a key by editing keys in the frontend and then assign that key
> to a button on the remote. It's always been easy to do then except for
> the spacebar that is used to create a bookmark. What I want to do is be
> able to stop and recorded playback and then start it back up later at
> the same place. Bookmarks seem to work if I'm using a keyboard, but I
> can't find a way to assign the spacebar to anything. And I can't find
> the bookmark function. I know I'm missing something simple somewhere.

> As far as I know by default Enter/Space (usually mapped to the OK
> button) while playing a recording stores a bookmark. So the same key
> with which you start a recording! (although you might use Play (P or
> ctrl-P) to start playback)
> But easier is enabling the setting to automatically store a bookmark
> on exiting playback. Like Mike describes but then the setting "Save
> Position and Exit" as to me always being prompted is very annoying.
> But although I most of the time to be sure press the Enter/Space/OK
> key before exiting, it to my knowledge always remembers my exit point,
> but on a global level. So if I exit on one frontend and then start
> playback on another one, it resumes where I exited.

> So the select/ok button does create a bookmark and it remembers it
> after I exit. But on my system is is not global. I just tested on 2 FEs and neither method is global.

Maybe a version difference? I'm still on 0.27