Mailing List Archive

Airplay audio only in v29
In v0.27, I was fully able to stream from one of my machines with iTunes to the mythtv front-end via Airplay, and it worked well. However, after upgrading to v29 two weeks ago, I noticed today this is no longer functioning.

When I attempt to make a connection, the mythfrontend log gets entries like this:

2018-01-28 15:12:34.420518 I RAOP Device: New connection from 192.168.75.138:50252
2018-01-28 15:12:34.421132 I Binding to UDP 0.0.0.0:6000
2018-01-28 15:12:34.424906 E Failed binding to UDP [::]:6000 - Error 10: Protocol type not supported
2018-01-28 15:12:34.425105 I Binding to UDP 0.0.0.0:6001
2018-01-28 15:12:34.427412 E Failed binding to UDP [::]:6001 - Error 10: Protocol type not supported
.
2018-01-28 15:12:34.684773 E Failed binding to UDP [::]:6099 - Error 10: Protocol type not supported
2018-01-28 15:12:34.684831 E RAOP Device: Failed to initialise client connection - closing.

I’m only looking to push audio, not video, and only from PCs, not iOS devices. Therefore, I’m not looking for anything crazy and fancy.

Any ideas why this may be broken? Any places I may want to look?

Best
Mike
Re: Airplay audio only in v29 [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 15:21:32 -0600, you wrote:

>In v0.27, I was fully able to stream from one of my machines with iTunes to the mythtv front-end via Airplay, and it worked well. However, after upgrading to v29 two weeks ago, I noticed today this is no longer functioning.
>
>When I attempt to make a connection, the mythfrontend log gets entries like this:
>
>2018-01-28 15:12:34.420518 I RAOP Device: New connection from 192.168.75.138:50252
>2018-01-28 15:12:34.421132 I Binding to UDP 0.0.0.0:6000
>2018-01-28 15:12:34.424906 E Failed binding to UDP [::]:6000 - Error 10: Protocol type not supported
>2018-01-28 15:12:34.425105 I Binding to UDP 0.0.0.0:6001
>2018-01-28 15:12:34.427412 E Failed binding to UDP [::]:6001 - Error 10: Protocol type not supported
>.
>.
>.
>2018-01-28 15:12:34.684773 E Failed binding to UDP [::]:6099 - Error 10: Protocol type not supported
>2018-01-28 15:12:34.684831 E RAOP Device: Failed to initialise client connection - closing.
>
>I?m only looking to push audio, not video, and only from PCs, not iOS devices. Therefore, I?m not looking for anything crazy and fancy.
>
>Any ideas why this may be broken? Any places I may want to look?
>
>Best
>Mike

It might be related to the new setting that allows general external
access to MythTV. The binding of IP addresses in mythbackend was
completely revamped in V29, and now if you want full external access
you need to run mythtv-setup and turn that option on. It defaults to
off for security reasons.
Re: Airplay audio only in v29 [ In reply to ]
> On Jan 28, 2018, at 10:16 PM, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 15:21:32 -0600, you wrote:
>
>> In v0.27, I was fully able to stream from one of my machines with iTunes to the mythtv front-end via Airplay, and it worked well. However, after upgrading to v29 two weeks ago, I noticed today this is no longer functioning.
>>
>> When I attempt to make a connection, the mythfrontend log gets entries like this:
>>
>> 2018-01-28 15:12:34.420518 I RAOP Device: New connection from 192.168.75.138:50252
>> 2018-01-28 15:12:34.421132 I Binding to UDP 0.0.0.0:6000
>> 2018-01-28 15:12:34.424906 E Failed binding to UDP [::]:6000 - Error 10: Protocol type not supported
>> 2018-01-28 15:12:34.425105 I Binding to UDP 0.0.0.0:6001
>> 2018-01-28 15:12:34.427412 E Failed binding to UDP [::]:6001 - Error 10: Protocol type not supported
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> 2018-01-28 15:12:34.684773 E Failed binding to UDP [::]:6099 - Error 10: Protocol type not supported
>> 2018-01-28 15:12:34.684831 E RAOP Device: Failed to initialise client connection - closing.
>>
>> I? only looking to push audio, not video, and only from PCs, not iOS devices. Therefore, I? not looking for anything crazy and fancy.
>>
>> Any ideas why this may be broken? Any places I may want to look?
>>
>> Best
>> Mike
>
> It might be related to the new setting that allows general external
> access to MythTV. The binding of IP addresses in mythbackend was
> completely revamped in V29, and now if you want full external access
> you need to run mythtv-setup and turn that option on. It defaults to
> off for security reasons.

Stephen—

Hmmm. Does this setting also tell Mythfrontend how to behave? I have a separate frontend from the backend, and my case is for the frontend machine. I don’t run a frontend on the backend machine.

Best,
Mike
Re: Airplay audio only in v29 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 11:18:59 -0600, you wrote:

>Stephen?
>
>Hmmm. Does this setting also tell Mythfrontend how to behave? I have a separate frontend from the backend, and my case is for the frontend machine. I don?t run a frontend on the backend machine.
>
>Best,
>Mike

Good question - I do not know the answer. If they both use the same
code to bind IP addresses, then that setting would probably apply. It
is at mythtv-setup > General > Host Address Backend Setup > Allow
Connections from all Subnets. Given its placement in the settings,
that would suggest that it only applies to backends, but the only way
to know for sure is to try it.
Re: Airplay audio only in v29 [ In reply to ]
> On Jan 29, 2018, at 6:34 PM, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 11:18:59 -0600, you wrote:
>

>> Stephen?
>>
>> Hmmm. Does this setting also tell Mythfrontend how to behave? I have a separate frontend from the backend, and my case is for the frontend machine. I don?t run a frontend on the backend machine.
>>
>> Best,
>> Mike
>
> Good question - I do not know the answer. If they both use the same
> code to bind IP addresses, then that setting would probably apply. It
> is at mythtv-setup > General > Host Address Backend Setup > Allow
> Connections from all Subnets. Given its placement in the settings,
> that would suggest that it only applies to backends, but the only way
> to know for sure is to try it.

Well, we can chart that one up to not being the problem. I suspected it wouldn’t by the nature of the setting label as well as the helper text, which reads “Allow this backend to receive connections from any IP address on the internet. NOT recommended for most users. Use this only if you have secure IPv4 and IPv6 firewalls.” That tells me that built into mythbackend is the restriction to not accept connections from devices on any subnet except the x.y.z.0 subnet on which the backend resides. Also, all my frontend machines are on the same subnet as the backend and any machine trying to airplay to a frontend, so that’s definitely not it.

I did just notice in the frontend log before I even attempted to airplay to it that there are several lines similar to my error lines:

Listening on TCP 0.0.0.0:5000
2018-01-29 21:09:21.395688 I AirPlay: Created airplay objects.
2018-01-29 21:09:21.396331 I Listening on TCP 0.0.0.0:5100
2018-01-29 21:09:21.396736 E Failed listening on TCP [::]:5000 - Error 10: Protocol type not supported

and now I’m thinking it’s something in the configuration of the frontend, OR there is a problem in the compilation of the frontend code (which I did not compile).

I’m wondering if anyone else can verify if airplay audio to a v29 frontend functions. If so, that would confirm that it’s definitely a problem with my frontend build specifically, rather than with something in v29 code.

Mike
Re: Airplay audio only in v29 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 21:25:16 -0600, you wrote:

>> On Jan 29, 2018, at 6:34 PM, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 11:18:59 -0600, you wrote:
>>

>>> Stephen?
>>>
>>> Hmmm. Does this setting also tell Mythfrontend how to behave? I have a separate frontend from the backend, and my case is for the frontend machine. I don?t run a frontend on the backend machine.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Mike
>>
>> Good question - I do not know the answer. If they both use the same
>> code to bind IP addresses, then that setting would probably apply. It
>> is at mythtv-setup > General > Host Address Backend Setup > Allow
>> Connections from all Subnets. Given its placement in the settings,
>> that would suggest that it only applies to backends, but the only way
>> to know for sure is to try it.
>
>Well, we can chart that one up to not being the problem. I suspected it wouldn?t by the nature of the setting label as well as the helper text, which reads ?Allow this backend to receive connections from any IP address on the internet. NOT recommended for most users. Use this only if you have secure IPv4 and IPv6 firewalls.? That tells me that built into mythbackend is the restriction to not accept connections from devices on any subnet except the x.y.z.0 subnet on which the backend resides. Also, all my frontend machines are on the same subnet as the backend and any machine trying to airplay to a frontend, so that?s definitely not it.
>
>I did just notice in the frontend log before I even attempted to airplay to it that there are several lines similar to my error lines:
>
>Listening on TCP 0.0.0.0:5000
>2018-01-29 21:09:21.395688 I AirPlay: Created airplay objects.
>2018-01-29 21:09:21.396331 I Listening on TCP 0.0.0.0:5100
>2018-01-29 21:09:21.396736 E Failed listening on TCP [::]:5000 - Error 10: Protocol type not supported
>
>and now I?m thinking it?s something in the configuration of the frontend, OR there is a problem in the compilation of the frontend code (which I did not compile).
>
>I?m wondering if anyone else can verify if airplay audio to a v29 frontend functions. If so, that would confirm that it?s definitely a problem with my frontend build specifically, rather than with something in v29 code.
>
>Mike

What does this command show:

netstat -lp | grep 5000

This is what I get on my combined frontend/backend box:

tcp 0 0 *:5000 *:* LISTEN
17941/mythfrontend.
tcp6 0 0 [::]:5000 [::]:* LISTEN
17941/mythfrontend.

From that error message, I would guess that you will not have the tcp6
line, but may have the tcp line.
Re: Airplay audio only in v29 [ In reply to ]
> On Jan 29, 2018, at 10:16 PM, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 21:25:16 -0600, you wrote:

>>> Good question - I do not know the answer. If they both use the same
>>> code to bind IP addresses, then that setting would probably apply. It
>>> is at mythtv-setup > General > Host Address Backend Setup > Allow
>>> Connections from all Subnets. Given its placement in the settings,
>>> that would suggest that it only applies to backends, but the only way
>>> to know for sure is to try it.
>>
>> Well, we can chart that one up to not being the problem. I suspected it wouldn?t by the nature of the setting label as well as the helper text, which reads ?Allow this backend to receive connections from any IP address on the internet. NOT recommended for most users. Use this only if you have secure IPv4 and IPv6 firewalls.? That tells me that built into mythbackend is the restriction to not accept connections from devices on any subnet except the x.y.z.0 subnet on which the backend resides. Also, all my frontend machines are on the same subnet as the backend and any machine trying to airplay to a frontend, so that?s definitely not it.
>>
>> I did just notice in the frontend log before I even attempted to airplay to it that there are several lines similar to my error lines:
>>
>> Listening on TCP 0.0.0.0:5000
>> 2018-01-29 21:09:21.395688 I AirPlay: Created airplay objects.
>> 2018-01-29 21:09:21.396331 I Listening on TCP 0.0.0.0:5100
>> 2018-01-29 21:09:21.396736 E Failed listening on TCP [::]:5000 - Error 10: Protocol type not supported
>>
>> and now I?m thinking it?s something in the configuration of the frontend, OR there is a problem in the compilation of the frontend code (which I did not compile).
>>
>> I?m wondering if anyone else can verify if airplay audio to a v29 frontend functions. If so, that would confirm that it?s definitely a problem with my frontend build specifically, rather than with something in v29 code.
>>
>> Mike
>
> What does this command show:
>
> netstat -lp | grep 5000
>
> This is what I get on my combined frontend/backend box:
>
> tcp 0 0 *:5000 *:* LISTEN
> 17941/mythfrontend.
> tcp6 0 0 [::]:5000 [::]:* LISTEN
> 17941/mythfrontend.
>
> From that error message, I would guess that you will not have the tcp6
> line, but may have the tcp line.

Stephen—

Exactly. I do not have the IPv6 line.

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:5000 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 7177/mythfrontend

I previously has an entry also for port 5100, but when I enabled audio-only airplay, listening on that port no longer occurs. I attempted to telnet to port 5100 and the connection occurred and stayed open, and I could see the connection in the log. However, if I try to telnet to port 5000, the connection closes rather quickly, and I get the same Binding to UDP error messages in the log.

If I somehow force mythfrontend to start in a “debug” mode, will I have more information in the log than I do now? I’d like to see what is getting instantiated when it is starting up and what is happening when an airplay device attempts to connect to mythfrontend.

I’m now getting the feeling that this is not working for others in v29 as well, but I’m the first to discover it.

Thanks for your help, btw…

Mike
Re: Airplay audio only in v29 [ In reply to ]
> On Jan 29, 2018, at 10:16 PM, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 21:25:16 -0600, you wrote:

>>> Good question - I do not know the answer. If they both use the same
>>> code to bind IP addresses, then that setting would probably apply. It
>>> is at mythtv-setup > General > Host Address Backend Setup > Allow
>>> Connections from all Subnets. Given its placement in the settings,
>>> that would suggest that it only applies to backends, but the only way
>>> to know for sure is to try it.
>>
>> Well, we can chart that one up to not being the problem. I suspected it wouldn?t by the nature of the setting label as well as the helper text, which reads ?Allow this backend to receive connections from any IP address on the internet. NOT recommended for most users. Use this only if you have secure IPv4 and IPv6 firewalls.? That tells me that built into mythbackend is the restriction to not accept connections from devices on any subnet except the x.y.z.0 subnet on which the backend resides. Also, all my frontend machines are on the same subnet as the backend and any machine trying to airplay to a frontend, so that?s definitely not it.
>>
>> I did just notice in the frontend log before I even attempted to airplay to it that there are several lines similar to my error lines:
>>
>> Listening on TCP 0.0.0.0:5000
>> 2018-01-29 21:09:21.395688 I AirPlay: Created airplay objects.
>> 2018-01-29 21:09:21.396331 I Listening on TCP 0.0.0.0:5100
>> 2018-01-29 21:09:21.396736 E Failed listening on TCP [::]:5000 - Error 10: Protocol type not supported
>>
>> and now I?m thinking it?s something in the configuration of the frontend, OR there is a problem in the compilation of the frontend code (which I did not compile).
>>
>> I?m wondering if anyone else can verify if airplay audio to a v29 frontend functions. If so, that would confirm that it?s definitely a problem with my frontend build specifically, rather than with something in v29 code.
>>
>> Mike
>
> What does this command show:
>
> netstat -lp | grep 5000
>
> This is what I get on my combined frontend/backend box:
>
> tcp 0 0 *:5000 *:* LISTEN
> 17941/mythfrontend.
> tcp6 0 0 [::]:5000 [::]:* LISTEN
> 17941/mythfrontend.
>
> From that error message, I would guess that you will not have the tcp6
> line, but may have the tcp line.

Now I’m trying to get my backend to run a frontend and see if this is a v29 thing, or a build thing for my other frontend. When I do run the frontend on the backend, I don’t even get the option in the General frontend setup to enable AirTunes. Is there anywhere I can look to find the dependencies specifically for AirTunes and ensure that my backend machine has those dependencies? Seeing as I won’t regularly run a frontend on the backend, I’d like to refrain from adding all frontend dependencies listed in the wiki.

Best,
Mike
Re: Airplay audio only in v29 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 11:41:41 -0600, you wrote:

>>> I did just notice in the frontend log before I even attempted to airplay to it that there are several lines similar to my error lines:
>>>
>>> Listening on TCP 0.0.0.0:5000
>>> 2018-01-29 21:09:21.395688 I AirPlay: Created airplay objects.
>>> 2018-01-29 21:09:21.396331 I Listening on TCP 0.0.0.0:5100
>>> 2018-01-29 21:09:21.396736 E Failed listening on TCP [::]:5000 - Error 10: Protocol type not supported
>>>
>>> and now I?m thinking it?s something in the configuration of the frontend, OR there is a problem in the compilation of the frontend code (which I did not compile).
>>>
>>> I?m wondering if anyone else can verify if airplay audio to a v29 frontend functions. If so, that would confirm that it?s definitely a problem with my frontend build specifically, rather than with something in v29 code.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>
>> What does this command show:
>>
>> netstat -lp | grep 5000
>>
>> This is what I get on my combined frontend/backend box:
>>
>> tcp 0 0 *:5000 *:* LISTEN
>> 17941/mythfrontend.
>> tcp6 0 0 [::]:5000 [::]:* LISTEN
>> 17941/mythfrontend.
>>
>> From that error message, I would guess that you will not have the tcp6
>> line, but may have the tcp line.
>
>Stephen?
>
>Exactly. I do not have the IPv6 line.
>
>tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:5000 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 7177/mythfrontend
>

>I previously has an entry also for port 5100, but when I enabled audio-only airplay, listening on that port no longer occurs. I attempted to telnet to port 5100 and the connection occurred and stayed open, and I could see the connection in the log. However, if I try to telnet to port 5000, the connection closes rather quickly, and I get the same Binding to UDP error messages in the log.
>
>If I somehow force mythfrontend to start in a ?debug? mode, will I have more information in the log than I do now? I?d like to see what is getting instantiated when it is starting up and what is happening when an airplay device attempts to connect to mythfrontend.
>
>I?m now getting the feeling that this is not working for others in v29 as well, but I?m the first to discover it.
>
>Thanks for your help, btw?
>
>Mike

Do you have IPv6 working on the frontend box? And on your network? If
not, it might be an idea to try running with IPv6 disabled at the
operating system level. The thought being that the error creating the
tcp6 socket might be inhibiting code after that from working with the
tcp socket. But if there is no IPv6, that may prevent the error.

Here is how to disable IPv6 if you are running Ubuntu:

https://www.linuxbabe.com/ubuntu/disable-ipv6-on-ubuntu
Re: Airplay audio only in v29 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 16:58:56 -0600, you wrote:

>>> Well, we can chart that one up to not being the problem. I suspected it wouldn?t by the nature of the setting label as well as the helper text, which reads ?Allow this backend to receive connections from any IP address on the internet. NOT recommended for most users. Use this only if you have secure IPv4 and IPv6 firewalls.? That tells me that built into mythbackend is the restriction to not accept connections from devices on any subnet except the x.y.z.0 subnet on which the backend resides. Also, all my frontend machines are on the same subnet as the backend and any machine trying to airplay to a frontend, so that?s definitely not it.
>>>
>>> I did just notice in the frontend log before I even attempted to airplay to it that there are several lines similar to my error lines:
>>>
>>> Listening on TCP 0.0.0.0:5000
>>> 2018-01-29 21:09:21.395688 I AirPlay: Created airplay objects.
>>> 2018-01-29 21:09:21.396331 I Listening on TCP 0.0.0.0:5100
>>> 2018-01-29 21:09:21.396736 E Failed listening on TCP [::]:5000 - Error 10: Protocol type not supported
>>>
>>> and now I?m thinking it?s something in the configuration of the frontend, OR there is a problem in the compilation of the frontend code (which I did not compile).
>>>
>>> I?m wondering if anyone else can verify if airplay audio to a v29 frontend functions. If so, that would confirm that it?s definitely a problem with my frontend build specifically, rather than with something in v29 code.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>
>> What does this command show:
>>
>> netstat -lp | grep 5000
>>
>> This is what I get on my combined frontend/backend box:
>>
>> tcp 0 0 *:5000 *:* LISTEN
>> 17941/mythfrontend.
>> tcp6 0 0 [::]:5000 [::]:* LISTEN
>> 17941/mythfrontend.
>>
>> From that error message, I would guess that you will not have the tcp6
>> line, but may have the tcp line.
>
>Now I?m trying to get my backend to run a frontend and see if this is a v29 thing, or a build thing for my other frontend. When I do run the frontend on the backend, I don?t even get the option in the General frontend setup to enable AirTunes. Is there anywhere I can look to find the dependencies specifically for AirTunes and ensure that my backend machine has those dependencies? Seeing as I won?t regularly run a frontend on the backend, I?d like to refrain from adding all frontend dependencies listed in the wiki.
>
>Best,
>Mike

Mythfrontend will not start up if it is unable to load one of the
required libraries. So the only way to reduce the dependencies to be
installed would be to compile it with all the options off except the
one you want. But there would still likely be lots of dependencies to
install.
Re: Airplay audio only in v29 [ In reply to ]

>>> What does this command show:
>>>
>>> netstat -lp | grep 5000
>>>
>>> This is what I get on my combined frontend/backend box:
>>>
>>> tcp 0 0 *:5000 *:* LISTEN
>>> 17941/mythfrontend.
>>> tcp6 0 0 [::]:5000 [::]:* LISTEN
>>> 17941/mythfrontend.
>>>
>>> From that error message, I would guess that you will not have the tcp6
>>> line, but may have the tcp line.
>>
>> Stephen?
>>
>> Exactly. I do not have the IPv6 line.
>>
>> tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:5000 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 7177/mythfrontend
>>

>> I previously has an entry also for port 5100, but when I enabled audio-only airplay, listening on that port no longer occurs. I attempted to telnet to port 5100 and the connection occurred and stayed open, and I could see the connection in the log. However, if I try to telnet to port 5000, the connection closes rather quickly, and I get the same Binding to UDP error messages in the log.
>>
>> If I somehow force mythfrontend to start in a ?debug? mode, will I have more information in the log than I do now? I?d like to see what is getting instantiated when it is starting up and what is happening when an airplay device attempts to connect to mythfrontend.
>>
>> I?m now getting the feeling that this is not working for others in v29 as well, but I?m the first to discover it.
>>
>> Thanks for your help, btw
>

>> Mike
>
> Do you have IPv6 working on the frontend box? And on your network? If
> not, it might be an idea to try running with IPv6 disabled at the
> operating system level. The thought being that the error creating the
> tcp6 socket might be inhibiting code after that from working with the
> tcp socket. But if there is no IPv6, that may prevent the error.
>
> Here is how to disable IPv6 if you are running Ubuntu:
>
> https://www.linuxbabe.com/ubuntu/disable-ipv6-on-ubuntu

Stephen—

I do not have IPv6 running in my network, and it’s also not running on the frontend machine. In fact, the path specified in that URL above to cat (/proc/sys/net/ipv6) doesn’t even exist on my frontend. So, it’s not there at all.

Maybe I’ll have to take another machine and throw a mythbuntu build on it and see if I can get AirTunes to work, or if I get the same issue. My bet is on the latter, unfortunately.

…unless someone else has v29 and uses AirTunes and find that it works. ;)

Mike
Re: Airplay audio only in v29 [ In reply to ]
> On Jan 30, 2018, at 5:34 PM, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 16:58:56 -0600, you wrote:

>>> What does this command show:
>>>
>>> netstat -lp | grep 5000
>>>
>>> This is what I get on my combined frontend/backend box:
>>>
>>> tcp 0 0 *:5000 *:* LISTEN
>>> 17941/mythfrontend.
>>> tcp6 0 0 [::]:5000 [::]:* LISTEN
>>> 17941/mythfrontend.
>>>
>>> From that error message, I would guess that you will not have the tcp6
>>> line, but may have the tcp line.
>>
>> Now I?m trying to get my backend to run a frontend and see if this is a v29 thing, or a build thing for my other frontend. When I do run the frontend on the backend, I don?t even get the option in the General frontend setup to enable AirTunes. Is there anywhere I can look to find the dependencies specifically for AirTunes and ensure that my backend machine has those dependencies? Seeing as I won?t regularly run a frontend on the backend, I?d like to refrain from adding all frontend dependencies listed in the wiki.
>>
>> Best,
>> Mike
>
> Mythfrontend will not start up if it is unable to load one of the
> required libraries. So the only way to reduce the dependencies to be
> installed would be to compile it with all the options off except the
> one you want. But there would still likely be lots of dependencies to
> install.

Stephen—

Makes sense. I do get mythfrontend to run on the backend, but the logging doesn’t say anything about

RAOP Device: Created RAOP device objects.

or

RAOP Device: Listening for connections on port 5000

so, for some reason, it isn’t trying to load that up, and I don’t know why. That frontend, running across an ssh X session over to my Mac, even plays recordings. So, apparently much of it is working.

Also, the setting isn’t present to enable AirTunes on the backend’s frontend. I just finished going through and making sure all the runtime dependencies are installed, I went through the configuration script to make sure all the options I believe I would need are present and enabled, and still nothing.

I’m banging my head against the wall, and I’d love to get my music playing in my living room again without going out and buying an airport express and adding yet another piece of hardware to my living room.

Hopefully it will become painfully obvious sometime soon and I’ll figure this out!

Mike
Re: Airplay audio only in v29 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 17:44:12 -0600
Michael A Weber <mweberjunk01@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

That's true, but AirPlay is a bit different and isn't much used, I
believe. So it's probably worth disabling the "listen on all subnets"
and using a real ip address on your backend to see if it changes
anything.

> so, for some reason, it isn’t trying to load that up, and I don’t
> know why. That frontend, running across an ssh X session over to my
> Mac, even plays recordings. So, apparently much of it is working.
>
> Also, the setting isn’t present to enable AirTunes on the backend’s
> frontend. I just finished going through and making sure all the
> runtime dependencies are installed, I went through the configuration
> script to make sure all the options I believe I would need are
> present and enabled, and still nothing.

It should show up if libdns_sd & libcrypto are installed.
You probably need the RAOPKey from your other machine as well.
The USING_AIRPLAY is set by mythfrontend.pro
Re: Airplay audio only in v29 [ In reply to ]
> On Jan 30, 2018, at 6:44 PM, Michael A Weber <mweberjunk01@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Now I?m trying to get my backend to run a frontend and see if this is a v29 thing, or a build thing for my other frontend. When I do run the frontend on the backend, I don?t even get the option in the General frontend setup to enable AirTunes. Is there anywhere I can look to find the dependencies specifically for AirTunes and ensure that my backend machine has those dependencies? Seeing as I won?t regularly run a frontend on the backend, I?d like to refrain from adding all frontend dependencies listed in the wiki.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Mike
>>
>> Mythfrontend will not start up if it is unable to load one of the
>> required libraries. So the only way to reduce the dependencies to be
>> installed would be to compile it with all the options off except the
>> one you want. But there would still likely be lots of dependencies to
>> install.
>
> Stephen—
>
> Makes sense. I do get mythfrontend to run on the backend, but the logging doesn’t say anything about
>
> RAOP Device: Created RAOP device objects.
>
> or
>
> RAOP Device: Listening for connections on port 5000
>
> so, for some reason, it isn’t trying to load that up, and I don’t know why. That frontend, running across an ssh X session over to my Mac, even plays recordings. So, apparently much of it is working.
>
> Also, the setting isn’t present to enable AirTunes on the backend’s frontend. I just finished going through and making sure all the runtime dependencies are installed, I went through the configuration script to make sure all the options I believe I would need are present and enabled, and still nothing.
>
> I’m banging my head against the wall, and I’d love to get my music playing in my living room again without going out and buying an airport express and adding yet another piece of hardware to my living room.
>
> Hopefully it will become painfully obvious sometime soon and I’ll figure this out!

Check the AirPlay wiki page. There are some tips that may be relevant:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/AirTunes/AirPlay#Troubleshooting

Craig
Re: Airplay audio only in v29 [ In reply to ]
> On Jan 30, 2018, at 7:40 PM, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven@cogeco.ca> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 30, 2018, at 6:44 PM, Michael A Weber <mweberjunk01@gmail.com <mailto:mweberjunk01@gmail.com>> wrote:

>>> Mythfrontend will not start up if it is unable to load one of the
>>> required libraries. So the only way to reduce the dependencies to be
>>> installed would be to compile it with all the options off except the
>>> one you want. But there would still likely be lots of dependencies to
>>> install.
>>
>> Stephen—
>>
>> Makes sense. I do get mythfrontend to run on the backend, but the logging doesn’t say anything about
>>
>> RAOP Device: Created RAOP device objects.
>>
>> or
>>
>> RAOP Device: Listening for connections on port 5000
>>
>> so, for some reason, it isn’t trying to load that up, and I don’t know why. That frontend, running across an ssh X session over to my Mac, even plays recordings. So, apparently much of it is working.
>>
>> Also, the setting isn’t present to enable AirTunes on the backend’s frontend. I just finished going through and making sure all the runtime dependencies are installed, I went through the configuration script to make sure all the options I believe I would need are present and enabled, and still nothing.
>>
>> I’m banging my head against the wall, and I’d love to get my music playing in my living room again without going out and buying an airport express and adding yet another piece of hardware to my living room.
>>
>> Hopefully it will become painfully obvious sometime soon and I’ll figure this out!
>
> Check the AirPlay wiki page. There are some tips that may be relevant:
>
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/AirTunes/AirPlay#Troubleshooting <https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/AirTunes/AirPlay#Troubleshooting>
> Craig

Craig—

Thanks for the suggestion, but I’ve been all over that page, and scoured the web for anything I could find.

Still, nothing.

Mike
Re: Airplay audio only in v29 [ In reply to ]
Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> What does this command show:
>
> netstat -lp | grep 5000
>
> This is what I get on my combined frontend/backend box:
>
> tcp 0 0 *:5000 *:* LISTEN
> 17941/mythfrontend.
> tcp6 0 0 [::]:5000 [::]:* LISTEN
> 17941/mythfrontend.

Just FYI, if you add the -p flag then it'll show you the program that has the socket open as well. Personally I normally use "netstat -anp", but then we all have our own preferences :-)

Re: Airplay audio only in v29 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 31 Jan 2018 22:07:23 +0000, you wrote:

>Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> What does this command show:
>>
>> netstat -lp | grep 5000
>>
>> This is what I get on my combined frontend/backend box:
>>
>> tcp 0 0 *:5000 *:* LISTEN
>> 17941/mythfrontend.
>> tcp6 0 0 [::]:5000 [::]:* LISTEN
>> 17941/mythfrontend.
>
>Just FYI, if you add the -p flag then it'll show you the program that has the socket open as well. Personally I normally use "netstat -anp", but then we all have our own preferences :-)

Yes, but I was only wanting the listening sockets. Hence -lp.
Airplay audio only in v29 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 19:54:06 -0600
Michael A Weber <mweberjunk01@gmail.com> wrote:

> > That's true, but AirPlay is a bit different and isn't much used, I
> > believe. So it's probably worth disabling the "listen on all
> > subnets" and using a real ip address on your backend to see if it
> > changes anything.
>
> I’ve had a real IP address specified in my mythbackend setup for
> several years as that’s the only way it would be accessible by a
> remote frontend… and it is. And, I only temporarily enabled the
> “listen on all subnets” and disabled it soon after testing
> unsuccessfully. Plus, I’m trying to push audio to a remote frontend,
> not a backend, and I cannot believe a frontend uses the backend for
> AirTunes for anything other than the config info in the database.
> So, I’m good on this part.

The frontend & backend use the same library/code for networking. I
wondered if there was some bug/setting leakage that would affect
AirPlay.

> >> Also, the setting isn’t present to enable AirTunes on the backend’s
> >> frontend. I just finished going through and making sure all the
> >> runtime dependencies are installed, I went through the
> >> configuration script to make sure all the options I believe I
> >> would need are present and enabled, and still nothing.
> >>

> > It should show up if libdns_sd & libcrypto are installed.
> > You probably need the RAOPKey from your other machine as well.
> > The USING_AIRPLAY is set by mythfrontend.pro
>
> I have both libdns-sd and libcrypto installed, but it’s still not
>
> Sadly, this worked in this exact hardware scenario with 0.27 two+
> weeks ago prior to the upgrade to v29, but no longer works with v29.
> Since I see the RAOP objects created on the remote frontend in v29,
> but the connections from Mac machines fails, I’m starting to believe
> this is a v29 issue and not an issue of my configuration.

Sorry, I thought you were building from source. Those libs are build
dependencies.
The absent setting suggests that it wasn't built with airplay enabled.
mythfrontend --version should tell you.

Mythbuntu 29/fixes has it enabled.
Re: Airplay audio only in v29 [ In reply to ]