Mailing List Archive

first remote button press is ignored
I'm running MythTV 0.29 on a Debian sid machine. Whenever I begin playback of a
recording or video, the first time I press a button on my remote control, it is
ignored. Subsequent button presses are recognized as expected. If I exit
playback and start again, the first button press is again ignored, and
subsequent button presses are recognized. This has been 100% reproducible. All
button presses are recognized while I navigate the mythfrontend menus.

I'm using LIRC 0.10.0 with a MCEUSB remote. I've tried using the devinput driver
for LIRC as well as its native driver, but both produced the same behavior.

Could mythfrontend be putting the USB device to sleep when it starts playback?
And then my first button press wakes the device? I looked through the log
generated with `--loglevel debug --verbose general` but didn't see anything
promising.

Does anyone know what might be causing this or have suggestions for further
troubleshooting?

Thanks.
Joey

Re: first remote button press is ignored [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 9:36 PM, Joey Morris <rjmorris.list@zoho.com> wrote:

> I'm running MythTV 0.29 on a Debian sid machine. Whenever I begin playback
> of a
> recording or video, the first time I press a button on my remote control,
> it is
> ignored. Subsequent button presses are recognized as expected. If I exit
> playback and start again, the first button press is again ignored, and
> subsequent button presses are recognized. This has been 100% reproducible.
> All
> button presses are recognized while I navigate the mythfrontend menus.
>
> I'm using LIRC 0.10.0 with a MCEUSB remote. I've tried using the devinput
> driver
> for LIRC as well as its native driver, but both produced the same behavior.
>
> Could mythfrontend be putting the USB device to sleep when it starts
> playback?
> And then my first button press wakes the device? I looked through the log
> generated with `--loglevel debug --verbose general` but didn't see anything
> promising.
>
> Does anyone know what might be causing this or have suggestions for further
> troubleshooting?
>
> Thanks.
> Joey

Run irw in a terminal. If the 1st button press does not show any results,
but subsequent do, then your remote is to blame. If the 1 does, then post
your lircrc file for mythtv.
Re: first remote button press is ignored [ In reply to ]
> On Jan 19, 2018, at 10:36 PM, Joey Morris <rjmorris.list@zoho.com> wrote:
>
> I'm running MythTV 0.29 on a Debian sid machine. Whenever I begin playback of a
> recording or video, the first time I press a button on my remote control, it is
> ignored. Subsequent button presses are recognized as expected. If I exit
> playback and start again, the first button press is again ignored, and
> subsequent button presses are recognized. This has been 100% reproducible. All
> button presses are recognized while I navigate the mythfrontend menus.

There is another possibility… It could be that the first press of a button merely wakes up the remote.
and after that all is well.

Re: first remote button press is ignored [ In reply to ]
Greg Oliver <oliver.greg@gmail.com> wrote on Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 09:51:03PM -0600:
> Run irw in a terminal. If the 1st button press does not show any results,
> but subsequent do, then your remote is to blame. If the 1 does, then post
> your lircrc file for mythtv.

All button presses show results in irw. Attached is my lircrc file for mythtv.
Re: first remote button press is ignored [ In reply to ]
jrh <jharbestonus@gmail.com> wrote on Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 01:18:17AM -0500:
> There is another possibility… It could be that the first press of a button merely wakes up the remote.
> and after that all is well.

Right, but why would the remote be asleep? Note that I used it just 5 seconds
before to navigate the menu and press OK to start playback. That's why I
wondered later in my message whether mythfrontend was doing something to put the
remote to sleep.

Re: first remote button press is ignored [ In reply to ]
On 20/01/18 04:36, Joey Morris wrote:
> I'm running MythTV 0.29 on a Debian sid machine. Whenever I begin playback of a
> recording or video, the first time I press a button on my remote control, it is
> ignored. Subsequent button presses are recognized as expected. If I exit
> playback and start again, the first button press is again ignored, and
> subsequent button presses are recognized. This has been 100% reproducible. All
> button presses are recognized while I navigate the mythfrontend menus.

Not much help, but "me too".

This happens on my frontend ever since I upgraded it from Ubuntu 12.04
to 14.04. I also upgraded myth from 0.27 to 0.28 at the same time. This
was several months ago, but whereas this issue is irksome I haven't
gotten around to trying to diagnose or solve it.

So thanks for bringing it up here - I'm also interested in where the
discussion leads.

lirc 0.9.0

=== remote configuration ===

begin remote

name vista_mce
bits 16
flags RC6
eps 30
aeps 100

header 2654 889
one 427 427
zero 427 427
pre_data_bits 21
pre_data 0x37FF0
gap 69850
toggle_bit_mask 0x8000
rc6_mask 0x100000000

begin codes
Power 0xEBF3
Pictures 0x6BB6
Radio 0xEBAF
Videos 0x6BB5
Music 0xEBB8
Rec 0x6BE8
Pause 0xEBE7
Stop 0x6BE6
Skipback 0xEBE4
Play 0x6BE9
Skipfwd 0xEBE5
Rwd 0x6BEA
Fwd 0xEBEB
Start 0x6BF2
Back 0xEBDC
More 0x6BF0
Volup 0xEBEF
Voldown 0x6BEE
Chup 0xEBED
Chdown 0x6BEC
Up 0xEBE1
Down 0x6BE0
Left 0xEBDF
Right 0x6BDE
Mute 0xEBF1
Rectv 0x6BB7
Guide 0xEBD9
Livetv 0x6BDA
Dvdmenu 0xEBDB
1 0x6BFE
2 0xEBFD
3 0x6BFC
4 0xEBFB
5 0x6BFA
6 0xEBF9
7 0x6BF8
8 0xEBF7
9 0x6BF6
* 0xEBE2
0 0x6BFF
# 0xEBE3
Clear 0x6BF5
Enter 0xEBF4
end codes

end remote

Thanks, Jan
Re: first remote button press is ignored [ In reply to ]
On 20/01/18 18:34, Alec Leamas wrote:

> On 20/01/18 16:28, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
>> On 20/01/18 04:36, Joey Morris wrote:
>>> I'm running MythTV 0.29 on a Debian sid machine. Whenever I begin playback of a
>>> recording or video, the first time I press a button on my remote control, it is
>>> ignored. Subsequent button presses are recognized as expected.
>
> Hm... https://sourceforge.net/p/lirc/tickets/291/, right?
>
> --alec

The above wasn't posted to the list by Alec so I'm quoting it in its
entirety.

Perhaps my understanding of the above-mentioned lirc ticket is
incorrect, but I take it to mean that the remote "goes to sleep"
completely, after a certain amount of time of not being used.

This does not align with at least my observed symptoms: in my case the
first keypress after having started playback in mythtv is ignored,
regardless of how long ago playback was started.
Re: first remote button press is ignored [ In reply to ]
Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers@gmail.com> wrote on Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 06:46:27PM +0100:
> On 20/01/18 18:34, Alec Leamas wrote:
> > Hm... https://sourceforge.net/p/lirc/tickets/291/, right?
> >
> > --alec
> >

> The above wasn't posted to the list by Alec so I'm quoting it in its
> entirety.
>
> Perhaps my understanding of the above-mentioned lirc ticket is
> incorrect, but I take it to mean that the remote "goes to sleep"
> completely, after a certain amount of time of not being used.
>
> This does not align with at least my observed symptoms: in my case the
> first keypress after having started playback in mythtv is ignored,
> regardless of how long ago playback was started.

My symptoms match Jan's exactly, so I agree that the issue described in that
LIRC ticket isn't the same one we're seeing.

Just to elaborate on the behavior I'm seeing in case my original description
wasn't clear:

1. Navigate around in the MythTV menu with the remote, find the recording I
want to watch, press OK. Playback starts.

2. Once playback has started, press any remote button (Pause, Info, Skip
Forward, etc.). The press isn't recognized. It doesn't matter whether I
pressed the button immediately after playback started or waited 20 minutes.

3. Press a button again. It could be the same button as the first one or a
different one. This time the press is recognized. For the remainder of the
playback of this recording, all button presses are recognized, no matter how
long I wait between presses.

4. Exit the recording.

menu are recognized, the first press after playback is ignored, and
subsequent presses during playback are recognized.

Re: first remote button press is ignored [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 20 Jan 2018 13:50:24 -0500
Joey Morris <rjmorris.list@zoho.com> wrote:

> 2. Once playback has started, press any remote button (Pause, Info,
> Skip Forward, etc.). The press isn't recognized. It doesn't matter
> whether I pressed the button immediately after playback started or
> waited 20 minutes.

Does a keyboard produce the same behaviour ?

If you click on the playback window with a mouse first, does the 1st
keypress then work ?

I'm wondering if the playback window isn't getting focus, so
the 1st press is just selecting it. Once focussed, subsequent ones get
sent to the window and work normally.
Re: first remote button press is ignored [ In reply to ]
Roger Siddons <dizygotheca@ntlworld.com> wrote on Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 09:55:00PM +0000:
> On Sat, 20 Jan 2018 13:50:24 -0500
> Joey Morris <rjmorris.list@zoho.com> wrote:
>

> > 2. Once playback has started, press any remote button (Pause, Info,
> > Skip Forward, etc.). The press isn't recognized. It doesn't matter
> > whether I pressed the button immediately after playback started or
> > waited 20 minutes.
> >

> Does a keyboard produce the same behaviour ?
>
> If you click on the playback window with a mouse first, does the 1st
> keypress then work ?
>
> I'm wondering if the playback window isn't getting focus, so
> the 1st press is just selecting it. Once focussed, subsequent ones get
> sent to the window and work normally.

Oh, interesting thought. However, I don't think that's it. The keyboard doesn't
produce the same behavior: When I press a keyboard key immediately after
playback, the key is recognized. Also, even after clicking in the playback
window with the mouse, the first remote button press still isn't recognized. I
also tried with the "Always on top" setting disabled and then enabled.

Re: first remote button press is ignored [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 8:32 AM, Joey Morris <rjmorris.list@zoho.com> wrote:

> Greg Oliver <oliver.greg@gmail.com> wrote on Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at
> 09:51:03PM -0600:
> > Run irw in a terminal. If the 1st button press does not show any
> results,
> > but subsequent do, then your remote is to blame. If the 1 does, then
> post
> > your lircrc file for mythtv.
>
> All button presses show results in irw. Attached is my lircrc file for
> mythtv.

Part of your lircrc file shows this:

begin
prog = mythtv
button = KEY_LEFT
config = Left
repeat = 1
delay = 3
end

begin
prog = mythtv
button = KEY_RIGHT
config = Right
repeat = 1
delay = 3
end

begin
prog = mythtv
button = KEY_UP
config = Up
repeat = 1
delay = 3
end

begin
prog = mythtv
button = KEY_DOWN
config = Down
repeat = 1
delay = 3
end

I would try removing the "repeat" and "delay" lines from just one key and
see if then that key still produces a problem. I don't think you need
those lines.

If that works then remove them from the rest of the file. Comment them out
with an initial # sign to be safe. You'll probably have to log out and log
back in to get this to work, or better yet just restart your machine. I'm
not sure when the lircrc is loaded exactly.

Note that those lines occur in quite a few places in your lircrc file, not
just the ones I quoted.
Re: first remote button press is ignored [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 8:32 AM, Joey Morris <rjmorris.list@zoho.com> wrote:

> Greg Oliver <oliver.greg@gmail.com> wrote on Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at
> 09:51:03PM -0600:
> > Run irw in a terminal. If the 1st button press does not show any
> results,
> > but subsequent do, then your remote is to blame. If the 1 does, then
> post
> > your lircrc file for mythtv.
>
> All button presses show results in irw. Attached is my lircrc file for
> mythtv.

One more thing, are you using the "devinput" driver for the kernel, or the
"default" driver? On my Fedora system, that information is in
/etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf under the [lircd] section of the file.

I've only dealt with the "default" driver and do not have experience with
the "devinput" driver. The kernel may handle IR input differently.
Re: first remote button press is ignored [ In reply to ]
Jerry <mythtv@hambone.e4ward.com> wrote on Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 04:53:59PM -0500:
> I would try removing the "repeat" and "delay" lines from just one key and
> see if then that key still produces a problem. I don't think you need
> those lines.

Thanks for the idea. I removed all repeat and delay lines, then rebooted, but
the problem remains.

Re: first remote button press is ignored [ In reply to ]
Jerry <mythtv@hambone.e4ward.com> wrote on Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 05:07:39PM -0500:
> One more thing, are you using the "devinput" driver for the kernel, or the
> "default" driver? On my Fedora system, that information is in
> /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf under the [lircd] section of the file.
>
> I've only dealt with the "default" driver and do not have experience with
> the "devinput" driver. The kernel may handle IR input differently.

I've tried both, and I see the problem either way.

Re: first remote button press is ignored [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 5:16 PM, Joey Morris <rjmorris.list@zoho.com> wrote:

> Jerry <mythtv@hambone.e4ward.com> wrote on Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at
> 05:07:39PM -0500:
> > One more thing, are you using the "devinput" driver for the kernel, or
> the
> > "default" driver? On my Fedora system, that information is in
> > /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf under the [lircd] section of the file.
> >
> > I've only dealt with the "default" driver and do not have experience with
> > the "devinput" driver. The kernel may handle IR input differently.
>
> I've tried both, and I see the problem either way.

I am unsure at this point, but I have several IR catchers, so I use "remote
=" lines in my lirc files so different remotes have different entries. I
see it is a mceusb device - are you running devinput (kernel) or mceusb
(lirc) mode?
Re: first remote button press is ignored [ In reply to ]
Greg Oliver <oliver.greg@gmail.com> wrote on Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 09:28:47PM -0600:
> On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 5:16 PM, Joey Morris <rjmorris.list@zoho.com> wrote:
>
> > Jerry <mythtv@hambone.e4ward.com> wrote on Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at
> > 05:07:39PM -0500:
> > > One more thing, are you using the "devinput" driver for the kernel, or
> > the
> > > "default" driver? On my Fedora system, that information is in
> > > /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf under the [lircd] section of the file.
> > >
> > > I've only dealt with the "default" driver and do not have experience with
> > > the "devinput" driver. The kernel may handle IR input differently.
> >
> > I've tried both, and I see the problem either way.
> >

> I am unsure at this point, but I have several IR catchers, so I use "remote
> =" lines in my lirc files so different remotes have different entries. I
> see it is a mceusb device - are you running devinput (kernel) or mceusb
> (lirc) mode?

If I'm understanding you and Jerry correctly, that's the same question Jerry
asked. I've tried both modes, and I see the problem either way.

Re: first remote button press is ignored [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 6:35 PM Joey Morris <rjmorris.list@zoho.com> wrote:

> Greg Oliver <oliver.greg@gmail.com> wrote on Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at
> 09:28:47PM -0600:
> > On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 5:16 PM, Joey Morris <rjmorris.list@zoho.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Jerry <mythtv@hambone.e4ward.com> wrote on Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at
> > > 05:07:39PM -0500:
> or
> > > the

> with
> > >
> > > I've tried both, and I see the problem either way.
> > >

> > I am unsure at this point, but I have several IR catchers, so I use
> "remote
> > =" lines in my lirc files so different remotes have different entries. I
> > see it is a mceusb device - are you running devinput (kernel) or mceusb
> > (lirc) mode?
>
> If I'm understanding you and Jerry correctly, that's the same question
> Jerry
> asked. I've tried both modes, and I see the problem either way.

Sorry, I have not ready any previous messages, so I don't know what has
been discussed.

I once had a similar problem when I had the same IR code mapped to
different keys in my .lircrc file. Make sure that each key is only mapped
once.

John
Re: first remote button press is ignored [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 7:09 AM, John P Poet <jppoet@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 6:35 PM Joey Morris <rjmorris.list@zoho.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Greg Oliver <oliver.greg@gmail.com> wrote on Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at
>> 09:28:47PM -0600:

>> or

>> experience with

>> > I am unsure at this point, but I have several IR catchers, so I use
>> "remote
>> > =" lines in my lirc files so different remotes have different entries.
>> > see it is a mceusb device - are you running devinput (kernel) or mceusb
>> > (lirc) mode?
>>
>> If I'm understanding you and Jerry correctly, that's the same question
>> Jerry
>> asked. I've tried both modes, and I see the problem either way.
>>

> Sorry, I have not ready any previous messages, so I don't know what has
> been discussed.
>
> I once had a similar problem when I had the same IR code mapped to
> different keys in my .lircrc file. Make sure that each key is only mapped
> once.
>
> John

I grep'ed / cut his config file and it was all unique entries. I am truly
at a loss here. The common thread is debian based distros which I do not
use to see if ti happens here. Since others are having the issue with
Ubuntu, I am at beginning to go that route, but it does seem odd. Maybe a
setting from an older version or something? I do not know were to go since
irw does the right thing. Maybe there is another lirc config file
somewhere that is being missed?
Re: first remote button press is ignored [ In reply to ]
On 23/01/18 18:11, Greg Oliver wrote:
> I do not know were
> to go since irw does the right thing.  Maybe there is another lirc
> config file somewhere that is being missed?

Well, if irw is OK your next stop should be ircat(1). That should reveal
the events delivered to the app after processing .lircrc.

HTH

--alec

Re: first remote button press is ignored [ In reply to ]
Alec Leamas <leamas.alec@gmail.com> wrote on Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 10:01:22PM +0100:

> On 23/01/18 18:11, Greg Oliver wrote:
> > I do not know were
> > to go since irw does the right thing.? Maybe there is another lirc
> > config file somewhere that is being missed?
>
> Well, if irw is OK your next stop should be ircat(1). That should reveal
> the events delivered to the app after processing .lircrc.

Thanks everyone for helping think through this problem. I don't think there is
another lirc config file in the mix, but I'll check.

I tried a couple of experiments. In the first experiment, I wanted to see if the
first button press after playback would be detected by irw.

1. I started playing a recording.
2. Using the keyboard, I used Alt+Tab to a switch to a terminal.
3. I ran `irw`.
4. I pressed a remote button.
5. The button press was detected by irw.

I think this result rules out the theory that mythfrontend does something to put
the USB device to sleep when playing a recording. irw sees the event, but for
some reason mythtv doesn't.

In the second experiment, I wanted to see what ircat reports.

1. In a terminal, I ran `ircat mythtv`.
2. I switched back to mythfrontend.
3. I used the keyboard to play a recording.
4. I pressed the following buttons in sequence:
- Info (ignored by mythfrontend)
- Info (displays info popup)
- Exit (dismisses info popup)
- Exit (displays exit confirmation prompt)
- OK (exits playback)
5. I switched back to the terminal. ircat displayed the following:
- I
- I
- Esc
- Esc
- Return

So ircat displayed every button I pressed, even the first one that was ignored
by mythfrontend.

Re: first remote button press is ignored [ In reply to ]
On 24/01/18 03:02, Joey Morris wrote:

> So ircat displayed every button I pressed, even the first one that was ignored
> by mythfrontend.

Are you sure that ircat uses the same lircrc file as mythfrontend? IIRC,
mythfrontend does not look in the default location. ircat -c forces it
to use a non-standard lircrc.

In haste,
--alec
Re: first remote button press is ignored [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2018-01-24 at 08:41 +0100, Alec Leamas wrote:
> Are you sure that ircat uses the same lircrc file as mythfrontend?
> IIRC, mythfrontend does not look in the default location.

This is correct, mythtv uses ~/.mythtv/lircrc rather than ~/.lircrc.

Ian.
Re: first remote button press is ignored [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 3:26 AM, Ian Campbell <ijc@hellion.org.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 2018-01-24 at 08:41 +0100, Alec Leamas wrote:
> > Are you sure that ircat uses the same lircrc file as mythfrontend?
> > IIRC, mythfrontend does not look in the default location.
>
> This is correct, mythtv uses ~/.mythtv/lircrc rather than ~/.lircrc.
>
> Ian.

That is a good point - I have mine symlinked to the old .lirc/mythtv file I
have always used. Could quite possibly have duplicates between locations,
but duplicates would usually mean multiple things happen per button press,
not that nothing happens on some button presses. Also if multiple entries
(which I have had before), then multiple things *every* time you press that
button.
Re: first remote button press is ignored [ In reply to ]
On 24/01/18 16:19, Greg Oliver wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 3:26 AM, Ian Campbell <ijc@hellion.org.uk
> <mailto:ijc@hellion.org.uk>> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 2018-01-24 at 08:41 +0100, Alec Leamas wrote:
> > Are you sure that ircat uses the same lircrc file as mythfrontend?
> > IIRC, mythfrontend does not look in the default location.
>
> This is correct, mythtv uses ~/.mythtv/lircrc rather than ~/.lircrc.
>
> Ian.
>

> That is a good point - I have mine symlinked to the old .lirc/mythtv
> file I have always used.  Could quite possibly have duplicates between
> locations, but duplicates would usually mean multiple things happen per
> button press, not that nothing happens on some button presses.  Also if
> multiple entries (which I have had before), then multiple things *every*
> time you press that button.

Well, in that case... might it be that mythfrontend actually is the
culprit? If ircat, using the same lircrc, actually delivers the first
button press which otherwise is dropped then lirc actually seems OK to me.

To what extent can input events in mythfrontend be logged?

"Scratching head"

--alec
Re: first remote button press is ignored [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 10:52 AM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 24/01/18 16:19, Greg Oliver wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 3:26 AM, Ian Campbell <ijc@hellion.org.uk
> > <mailto:ijc@hellion.org.uk>> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 2018-01-24 at 08:41 +0100, Alec Leamas wrote:
> > > Are you sure that ircat uses the same lircrc file as mythfrontend?
> > > IIRC, mythfrontend does not look in the default location.
> >
> > This is correct, mythtv uses ~/.mythtv/lircrc rather than ~/.lircrc.
> >
> > Ian.
> >

> > That is a good point - I have mine symlinked to the old .lirc/mythtv
> > file I have always used. Could quite possibly have duplicates between
> > locations, but duplicates would usually mean multiple things happen per
> > button press, not that nothing happens on some button presses. Also if
> > multiple entries (which I have had before), then multiple things *every*
> > time you press that button.
>
> Well, in that case... might it be that mythfrontend actually is the
> culprit? If ircat, using the same lircrc, actually delivers the first
> button press which otherwise is dropped then lirc actually seems OK to me.
>
> To what extent can input events in mythfrontend be logged?
>
> "Scratching head"
>
> --alec

I am beginning to agree - I turned on "all" debugs on mythfrontend and it
does not log any LIRC events at all, so we will not be getting help from
that unfortunately. Like I mentioned, I use redhat derivatives and do not
see this issue (nor have I ever), so I cannot replicate it here. The fact
that multiple debian users see it though is another wrnech in the mix.

I see 2 options -

1. mythfrontend on debian does something odd
2. mythbuntu packages have left an old setting around causing the issue

It would be worth setting mythfrontend to debug all and see if something
besides IR is causing it to ignore the button press in the logs on those
systems - IR events are not logged at all here when I do it on 0.28

1 2  View All