as root user:
Name "Params::Validate::NO_VALIDATION" used only once: possible typo at /root/perl5/bin/tv_grab_zz_sdjson line 238.
You need to configure the grabber by running it with --configure

as mythtv user:
Can't locate XMLTV.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/lib64/perl5 /usr/local/share/perl5 /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib64/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 .) at /usr/bin/tv_grab_zz_sdjson line 52.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/tv_grab_zz_sdjson line 52.

based on the different results, i've no idea what the problem is. running as root with --configure does ask for the cache file location so the grabber script seems to be working.

i've tried recompiling xmltv but no fix there. while i did appear to be missing a few prerequisites for xmltv, thats now fixed and it compiled&installed correctly.

Re: xmltv grabber scripts failing [ In reply to ]
On 13 January 2018 7:29:39 am Tim Draper <veehexx@zoho.com> wrote:

> I've no idea what's happened here, but my BE is now failing to run the
> grabber scripts with perl issues.
> It has been running fine as i have guide data up to tomorrow morning, but
> no further. mythweb is showing a potential grabber error.
> I run mythfilldatabase and shows grabber script errors so i look at that
> side of things with the following results:
>
> as root user:
> Name "Params::Validate::NO_VALIDATION" used only once: possible typo at
> /root/perl5/bin/tv_grab_zz_sdjson line 238.
> You need to configure the grabber by running it with --configure
>
> as mythtv user:
> Can't locate XMLTV.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/lib64/perl5
> /usr/local/share/perl5 /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl
> /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib64/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 .) at
> /usr/bin/tv_grab_zz_sdjson line 52.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/tv_grab_zz_sdjson line 52.

Possibly when running as mythtv user your environment is not set correctly.
Possibly you are running as "sudo -umythtv mythfilldatabase" from a prompt
logged in as your desktop user? Running something like "export
PERL5LIB=/.../.../" with path to XMLTV.pm might get past this error but it
may just fail at the next. Instead maybe try logging in as user mythtv (or
specifically the user that runs your BE) on a different tty (on Centos
ctrl+alt+f[2-7]) and run mythfilldatabase from there.

But neither of these may be the problem your backend is seeing. What shows
in the BE log?

Re: xmltv grabber scripts failing [ In reply to ]
Hoi Mark,

Saturday, January 13, 2018, 12:55:50 AM, you wrote:

> On 13 January 2018 7:29:39 am Tim Draper <veehexx@zoho.com> wrote:

>> I've no idea what's happened here, but my BE is now failing to run the
>> grabber scripts with perl issues.
>> It has been running fine as i have guide data up to tomorrow morning, but
>> no further. mythweb is showing a potential grabber error.
>> I run mythfilldatabase and shows grabber script errors so i look at that
>> side of things with the following results:
>>
>> as root user:
>> Name "Params::Validate::NO_VALIDATION" used only once: possible typo at
>> /root/perl5/bin/tv_grab_zz_sdjson line 238.
>> You need to configure the grabber by running it with --configure
>>
>> as mythtv user:
>> Can't locate XMLTV.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/lib64/perl5
>> /usr/local/share/perl5 /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl
>> /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib64/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 .) at
>> /usr/bin/tv_grab_zz_sdjson line 52.
>> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/tv_grab_zz_sdjson line 52.
>>

> Possibly when running as mythtv user your environment is not set correctly.
> Possibly you are running as "sudo -umythtv mythfilldatabase" from a prompt
> logged in as your desktop user? Running something like "export
> PERL5LIB=/.../.../" with path to XMLTV.pm might get past this error but it
> may just fail at the next. Instead maybe try logging in as user mythtv (or
> specifically the user that runs your BE) on a different tty (on Centos
> ctrl+alt+f[2-7]) and run mythfilldatabase from there.

> But neither of these may be the problem your backend is seeing. What shows
> in the BE log?

If Marks suggestions do not pan out, I would suggest presenting your
issues on the xmltv (xmltv-devel@lists.sourceforge.net) panel. They
are more versed on the perl/xmltv issues.
But a user rights issue might very wel be the cause. Do run
--configure and the grabbing as the same user as all results of
--configure are store under .xmltv in the users home directory!
Also be aware that mythtv when running --configure through there or
grabbing through there expects the configuration file that by default
is placed in ~/.xmltv is in ~/.mythtv. So either do configuring and
grabbing through mythtv or outside. Do not mix the two!

Tot mails,
Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop
Het eeuwige dilemma

De lerende Mens

Re: xmltv grabber scripts failing [ In reply to ]
Hoi Hika,

Saturday, January 13, 2018, 5:12:59 AM, you wrote:

> Hoi Mark,

> Saturday, January 13, 2018, 12:55:50 AM, you wrote:

>> On 13 January 2018 7:29:39 am Tim Draper <veehexx@zoho.com> wrote:

>>> I've no idea what's happened here, but my BE is now failing to run the
>>> grabber scripts with perl issues.
>>> It has been running fine as i have guide data up to tomorrow morning, but
>>> no further. mythweb is showing a potential grabber error.
>>> I run mythfilldatabase and shows grabber script errors so i look at that
>>> side of things with the following results:
>>>
>>> as root user:
>>> Name "Params::Validate::NO_VALIDATION" used only once: possible typo at
>>> /root/perl5/bin/tv_grab_zz_sdjson line 238.
>>> You need to configure the grabber by running it with --configure
>>>
>>> as mythtv user:
>>> Can't locate XMLTV.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/lib64/perl5
>>> /usr/local/share/perl5 /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl
>>> /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib64/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 .) at
>>> /usr/bin/tv_grab_zz_sdjson line 52.
>>> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/tv_grab_zz_sdjson line 52.
>>>

>> Possibly when running as mythtv user your environment is not set correctly.
>> Possibly you are running as "sudo -umythtv mythfilldatabase" from a prompt
>> logged in as your desktop user? Running something like "export
>> PERL5LIB=/.../.../" with path to XMLTV.pm might get past this error but it
>> may just fail at the next. Instead maybe try logging in as user mythtv (or
>> specifically the user that runs your BE) on a different tty (on Centos
>> ctrl+alt+f[2-7]) and run mythfilldatabase from there.

>> But neither of these may be the problem your backend is seeing. What shows
>> in the BE log?

> If Marks suggestions do not pan out, I would suggest presenting your
> issues on the xmltv (xmltv-devel@lists.sourceforge.net) panel. They
> are more versed on the perl/xmltv issues.
> But a user rights issue might very wel be the cause. Do run
> --configure and the grabbing as the same user as all results of
> --configure are store under .xmltv in the users home directory!
> Also be aware that mythtv when running --configure through there or
> grabbing through there expects the configuration file that by default
> is placed in ~/.xmltv is in ~/.mythtv. So either do configuring and
> grabbing through mythtv or outside. Do not mix the two!

To be precise mythtv expects the configuration file to be named:
~/.mythtv/<sourcename>.xmltv

Re: xmltv grabber scripts failing [ In reply to ]
On 12 January 2018 at 20:49, Tim Draper <veehexx@zoho.com> wrote:
> I've no idea what's happened here, but my BE is now failing to run the grabber scripts with perl issues.
> It has been running fine as i have guide data up to tomorrow morning, but no further. mythweb is showing a potential grabber error.
> I run mythfilldatabase and shows grabber script errors so i look at that side of things with the following results:
>
> as root user:
> Name "Params::Validate::NO_VALIDATION" used only once: possible typo at /root/perl5/bin/tv_grab_zz_sdjson line 238.
> You need to configure the grabber by running it with --configure
>
> as mythtv user:
> Can't locate XMLTV.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/lib64/perl5 /usr/local/share/perl5 /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib64/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 .) at /usr/bin/tv_grab_zz_sdjson line 52.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/tv_grab_zz_sdjson line 52.
>
> based on the different results, i've no idea what the problem is. running as root with --configure does ask for the cache file location so the grabber script seems to be working.
>
> i've tried recompiling xmltv but no fix there. while i did appear to be missing a few prerequisites for xmltv, thats now fixed and it compiled&installed correctly.

Tim,

Can you tell me the versions of XMLTV and Perl you are currently using.

The current stable release of XMLTV is 0.5.70 and includes fixes for
Perl 5.26+ dropping support for '.' in the library search path (which
is what I'm guessing the issue is).

Cheers,
Nick
Re: xmltv grabber scripts failing [ In reply to ]
---- On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 05:54:37 +0000 Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie@gmail.com> wrote ----
> On 12 January 2018 at 20:49, Tim Draper <veehexx@zoho.com> wrote:
> > I've no idea what's happened here, but my BE is now failing to run the grabber scripts with perl issues.
> > It has been running fine as i have guide data up to tomorrow morning, but no further. mythweb is showing a potential grabber error.
> > I run mythfilldatabase and shows grabber script errors so i look at that side of things with the following results:
> >
> > as root user:
> > Name "Params::Validate::NO_VALIDATION" used only once: possible typo at /root/perl5/bin/tv_grab_zz_sdjson line 238.
> > You need to configure the grabber by running it with --configure
> >
> > as mythtv user:
> > Can't locate XMLTV.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/lib64/perl5 /usr/local/share/perl5 /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib64/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 .) at /usr/bin/tv_grab_zz_sdjson line 52.
> > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/tv_grab_zz_sdjson line 52.
> >
> > based on the different results, i've no idea what the problem is. running as root with --configure does ask for the cache file location so the grabber script seems to be working.
> >
> > i've tried recompiling xmltv but no fix there. while i did appear to be missing a few prerequisites for xmltv, thats now fixed and it compiled&installed correctly.
>
> Tim,
>
> Can you tell me the versions of XMLTV and Perl you are currently using.
>
> The current stable release of XMLTV is 0.5.70 and includes fixes for
> Perl 5.26+ dropping support for '.' in the library search path (which
> is what I'm guessing the issue is).
>
> Cheers,
> Nick

xmltv is the latest 0.5.70. and compiled via their recommended method: perl makefile.pl, make, make test, make install.
perl is v5.16.3
Mythweb is claiming the last sucessful mythfilldatabase run was 3rd jan, so looks like it failed between then and the next run on the 4th.
yum log shows these changes on the 4th, between the daily runs of mythfilldatabase: https://pastebin.com/MJLau7cQ

Re: xmltv grabber scripts failing [ In reply to ]
---- On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 23:55:50 +0000 Mark Perkins <perkins1724@hotmail.com> wrote ----
> On 13 January 2018 7:29:39 am Tim Draper <veehexx@zoho.com> wrote:
>
> > I've no idea what's happened here, but my BE is now failing to run the
> > grabber scripts with perl issues.
> > It has been running fine as i have guide data up to tomorrow morning, but
> > no further. mythweb is showing a potential grabber error.
> > I run mythfilldatabase and shows grabber script errors so i look at that
> > side of things with the following results:
> >
> > as root user:
> > Name "Params::Validate::NO_VALIDATION" used only once: possible typo at
> > /root/perl5/bin/tv_grab_zz_sdjson line 238.
> > You need to configure the grabber by running it with --configure
> >
> > as mythtv user:
> > Can't locate XMLTV.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/lib64/perl5
> > /usr/local/share/perl5 /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl
> > /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib64/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 .) at
> > /usr/bin/tv_grab_zz_sdjson line 52.
> > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/tv_grab_zz_sdjson line 52.
> >

> Possibly when running as mythtv user your environment is not set correctly.
> Possibly you are running as "sudo -umythtv mythfilldatabase" from a prompt
> logged in as your desktop user? Running something like "export
> PERL5LIB=/.../.../" with path to XMLTV.pm might get past this error but it
> may just fail at the next. Instead maybe try logging in as user mythtv (or
> specifically the user that runs your BE) on a different tty (on Centos
> ctrl+alt+f[2-7]) and run mythfilldatabase from there.
>
> But neither of these may be the problem your backend is seeing. What shows
> in the BE log?

my mythtv user doesnt have sudo rights.
what i'm doing is 'su mythtv'.
as mythtv, 'perl -V' shows
%ENV:
PERL5LIB="/root/perl5/lib/perl5:"
PERL_LOCAL_LIB_ROOT=":/root/perl5"
PERL_MB_OPT="--install_base /root/perl5"
PERL_MM_OPT="INSTALL_BASE=/root/perl5"
@INC:
/root/perl5/lib/perl5
/usr/local/lib64/perl5
/usr/local/share/perl5
/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl
/usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl
/usr/lib64/perl5
/usr/share/perl5
.

i'm not well versed with perl, but i've just used centos repos to handle anything perl so shouldnt be anything too unexpected going on (a combo of the default and epel repos)

Re: xmltv grabber scripts failing [ In reply to ]
---- On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 04:12:59 +0000 Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh@gmail.com> wrote ----
> Hoi Mark,
> If Marks suggestions do not pan out, I would suggest presenting your
> issues on the xmltv (xmltv-devel@lists.sourceforge.net) panel. They
> are more versed on the perl/xmltv issues.
> But a user rights issue might very wel be the cause. Do run
> --configure and the grabbing as the same user as all results of
> --configure are store under .xmltv in the users home directory!
> Also be aware that mythtv when running --configure through there or
> grabbing through there expects the configuration file that by default
> is placed in ~/.xmltv is in ~/.mythtv. So either do configuring and
> grabbing through mythtv or outside. Do not mix the two!
>

> Tot mails,
> Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com

you've got the problem correct - permissions.
while i understand why mythtv wouldnt have permissions to /root/perl5/ dir, i dont know why it DID work, and now failing.

currently running 777 on /root/ and /root/perl5/ folders to get mythtv to run the grabber scripts. guide data is now filled up again.

so, question is now, what would be the proper way to fix this? i've no requirement to specifically run perl in /root/, and would of thought it'd make more sense in somewhere like /usr/local/share/

afaik the only perl requirement on the system is for mythtv&xmltv. (not aware of it for apache2 or KVM)

Re: xmltv grabber scripts failing [ In reply to ]
On 13 January 2018 at 08:37, Tim Draper <veehexx@zoho.com> wrote:

> ---- On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 04:12:59 +0000 Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh@gmail.com> wrote ----
> > Hoi Mark,
> > If Marks suggestions do not pan out, I would suggest presenting your
> > issues on the xmltv (xmltv-devel@lists.sourceforge.net) panel. They
> > are more versed on the perl/xmltv issues.
> > But a user rights issue might very wel be the cause. Do run
> > --configure and the grabbing as the same user as all results of
> > --configure are store under .xmltv in the users home directory!
> > Also be aware that mythtv when running --configure through there or
> > grabbing through there expects the configuration file that by default
> > is placed in ~/.xmltv is in ~/.mythtv. So either do configuring and
> > grabbing through mythtv or outside. Do not mix the two!
> >

> > Tot mails,
> > Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com
>
> you've got the problem correct - permissions.
> while i understand why mythtv wouldnt have permissions to /root/perl5/ dir, i dont know why it DID work, and now failing.

Your pastebin shows that XMLTV 0.5.69 was removed via yum on the 4th.
Package-based installations generally install software under /usr,
where all users can access it without issue.

Reinstalling from source into /root so that only root has access would
explain your symptoms.

> currently running 777 on /root/ and /root/perl5/ folders to get mythtv to run the grabber scripts. guide data is now filled up again.

Making /root world read-writeable so solve this particular issue is
not a good idea, IMO.

> so, question is now, what would be the proper way to fix this? i've no requirement to specifically run perl in /root/, and would of thought it'd make more sense in somewhere like /usr/local/share/

A cleaner alternative would be to install XMLTV into /usr/local from a
clean source checkout:

$ perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/usr/local
$ make
$ make test
# make install

Cheers,
Nick
Re: xmltv grabber scripts failing [ In reply to ]
---- On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 09:17:24 +0000 Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie@gmail.com> wrote ----
> A cleaner alternative would be to install XMLTV into /usr/local from a
> clean source checkout:
>
> $ perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/usr/local
> $ make
> $ make test
> # make install

got this sorted now, but not that way.
1) first up, removed the XMLTV version i had (source version) so starting clean.
2) chmod 770 /root (to reverse the 777 i did yesterday for testing)
3) ran the above lines (Centos7 wants PREFIX= replaced with INSTALL_BASE=)
4) as mythtv user, ran 'perl -V' to get @INC paths
5) used a valid @INC path to search for XMLTV.pm file and XMLTV folder. for me, /usr/local/share/perl5/lib/perl5/XMLTV.pm and /usr/local/share/perl5/lib/perl5/XMLTV/ were found.
6) created some symlinks:
cd /usr/local/share/perl5
ln -s lib/perl5/XMLTV XMLTV
ln -s lib/perl5/XMLTV.pm XMLTV.pm
7) tested working!

i dont think the problem is XMLTV, but more perls @INC paths.
as root, perl -V has 4 additional paths at the top of the list starting /root/perl5/... so i guess during compiling XMLTV, it's using one of those paths, rather than a path that is valid/accessible for all users.

Re: xmltv grabber scripts failing [ In reply to ]
On 14/01/18 15:47, Tim Draper wrote:
> 2) chmod 770 /root (to reverse the 777 i did yesterday for testing)

/root should have 700 permissions.