On another NUC in another room, I installed Xubuntu 16.04.3 Desktop completely and setup all the power and screen options the best I could to not turn anything off. But on that computer, If I cut off the A/V receiver the NUC is connected to, the screen never comes back. I couldn’t solve this quickly so I put the full Ubuntu 16.04.3 Desktop and removed Libreoffice. This system now works correctly when I turn off the A/V receiver without confusing the NUC.

Strange, at least to me.

Jim A

Re: benefits of one Ubuntu Distro vs. another for FE [ In reply to ]
Den 2018-01-10 kl. 21:32, skrev Jim Abernathy:
> in rebuilding all my Frontends with v29 I ran across some interesting items. First, on one Intel NUC I installed Ubuntu 16.04 Server then added the Xubuntu-Desktop, then removed Libreoffice. Installing Mythtv-frontend was a breeze. There were very little power saving options and I turned them all off as well as not turning the display off. That system works great and I can power off my TV or switch video inputs and the mythtv is always there when I turn on the TV and switch to it’s input. No issues with that solution.
>
> On another NUC in another room, I installed Xubuntu 16.04.3 Desktop completely and setup all the power and screen options the best I could to not turn anything off. But on that computer, If I cut off the A/V receiver the NUC is connected to, the screen never comes back.

It's possibly something to do with xfsettingsd: http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2016-May/387197.html

Jonatan
Re: benefits of one Ubuntu Distro vs. another for FE [ In reply to ]
On 01/10/2018 05:22 PM, Jonatan Lindblad wrote:
> Den 2018-01-10 kl. 21:32, skrev Jim Abernathy:
>> in rebuilding all my Frontends with v29 I ran across some interesting
>> items.  First, on one Intel NUC I installed Ubuntu 16.04 Server then
>> added the Xubuntu-Desktop, then removed Libreoffice.  Installing
>> Mythtv-frontend was a breeze.  There were very little power saving
>> options and I turned them all off as well as not turning the display
>> off. That system works great and I can power off my TV or switch
>> video inputs and the mythtv is always there when I turn on the TV and
>> switch to it’s input.  No issues with that solution.
>>
>> On another NUC in another room, I installed Xubuntu 16.04.3 Desktop
>> completely and setup all the power and screen options the best I
>> could to not turn anything off.  But on that computer, If I cut off
>> the A/V receiver the NUC is connected to, the screen never comes back.
>
> It's possibly something to do with xfsettingsd:
> http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2016-May/387197.html
>
> Jonatan
> __________

I've fought the same battle many times and can never figure out what
fixes it.  What I had documented that fixed it before was related to
xfsettingsd, but couldn't find out how to keep it from running.  But
since the mSATA in the NUC is 20 times larger than Ubuntu and
Mythtv-frontend need, I can live with the full blown install of Ubuntu.
Once I setup mythfrontend to auto start on boot, it's just an appliance
at that point.

Jim A

Re: benefits of one Ubuntu Distro vs. another for FE [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2018-01-10 at 20:32 +0000, Jim Abernathy wrote:
> On another NUC in another room, I installed Xubuntu 16.04.3 Desktop
> completely and setup all the power and screen options the best I
> could to not turn anything off. But on that computer, If I cut off
> the A/V receiver the NUC is connected to, the screen never comes
> back. I couldn’t solve this quickly so I put the full Ubuntu 16.04.3
> Desktop and removed Libreoffice. This system now works correctly
> when I turn off the A/V receiver without confusing the NUC.

TV vs A/V receiver? My guess would be that the TV only sleeps and
"turning it off" doesn't affect the signals on the HDMI cable, whereas
turning off the A/V receiver truly drops all signal on the HDMI. I had
similar behavior on my Nvidia based NUC connected to an A/V receiver.
Its been a couple of years, but IIRC what fixed it was forcing the card
to only ever use a single output connector, instead of switching to
another connector when the HDMI dropped. The device section of my
xorg.conf file looks like this:

Section "Device"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-1"
Option "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP-1
EndSection

Hope this helps. YMMV.

David

Re: benefits of one Ubuntu Distro vs. another for FE [ In reply to ]
On 01/10/2018 11:17 PM, David Hampton wrote:
> On Wed, 2018-01-10 at 20:32 +0000, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>> On another NUC in another room, I installed Xubuntu 16.04.3 Desktop
>> completely and setup all the power and screen options the best I
>> could to not turn anything off. But on that computer, If I cut off
>> the A/V receiver the NUC is connected to, the screen never comes
>> back. I couldn’t solve this quickly so I put the full Ubuntu 16.04.3
>> Desktop and removed Libreoffice. This system now works correctly
>> when I turn off the A/V receiver without confusing the NUC.
> TV vs A/V receiver? My guess would be that the TV only sleeps and
> "turning it off" doesn't affect the signals on the HDMI cable, whereas
> turning off the A/V receiver truly drops all signal on the HDMI. I had
> similar behavior on my Nvidia based NUC connected to an A/V receiver.
> Its been a couple of years, but IIRC what fixed it was forcing the card
> to only ever use a single output connector, instead of switching to
> another connector when the HDMI dropped. The device section of my
> xorg.conf file looks like this:
>
> Section "Device"
> Driver "nvidia"
> Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-1"
> Option "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP-1
> EndSection
>
> Hope this helps. YMMV.
>
> David
Thanks,  the curious thing to me is the fact that people has been
fighting this problem with XFCE desktops for years thru different
versions and it's still a problem requiring a lot of knowledge to fix.
But with Ubuntu Desktop it just works and has for many versions.

Jim A

Re: benefits of one Ubuntu Distro vs. another for FE [ In reply to ]
> On 11 Jan 2018, at 8:00 pm, mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org wrote:
>
> in rebuilding all my Frontends with v29 I ran across some interesting items. First, on one Intel NUC I installed Ubuntu 16.04 Server then added the Xubuntu-Desktop, then removed Libreoffice. Installing Mythtv-frontend was a breeze. There were very little power saving options and I turned them all off as well as not turning the display off. That system works great and I can power off my TV or switch video inputs and the mythtv is always there when I turn on the TV and switch to it?s input. No issues with that solution.
>
> On another NUC in another room, I installed Xubuntu 16.04.3 Desktop completely and setup all the power and screen options the best I could to not turn anything off. But on that computer, If I cut off the A/V receiver the NUC is connected to, the screen never comes back. I couldn?t solve this quickly so I put the full Ubuntu 16.04.3 Desktop and removed Libreoffice. This system now works correctly when I turn off the A/V receiver without confusing the NUC.
>
> Strange, at least to me.

Jim 16.04 on NUC if the screensaver goes ON then it never can be set off
17.04 fixed that issue likewise 17.10
Nothing to do with myth

James
Re: benefits of one Ubuntu Distro vs. another for FE [ In reply to ]
On 1/11/2018 4:16 PM, James Linder wrote:
> <SNIP>
> Jim 16.04 on NUC if the screensaver goes ON then it never can be set off
> 17.04 fixed that issue likewise 17.10
> Nothing to do with myth
>
> James

I have observed the same problem with my NUC (originally with 14.04 and
now with 16.04).  I use a USB wireless keyboard/mouse, and thought it
had something to do with the USB powering down in sleep mode, which
makes it impossible to wake it up with a key press or mouse movement.  I
tried several options of adjusting the BIOS and some kernel parameters
to keep it from going into sleep mode or disabling the USB port, but
nothing worked.
Jay
Re: benefits of one Ubuntu Distro vs. another for FE [ In reply to ]
On 01/11/2018 07:16 PM, James Linder wrote:

On 11 Jan 2018, at 8:00 pm, mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org<mailto:mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org> wrote:

[...]

James,

Let me see if I understand clearly. Xubuntu 17.04 and 17.10 fix the screensaver issue on the NUC???

Jim A