Mailing List Archive

Re: [Solved] mythtv v29 can't connect remote frontend
I think I see the problem:
jim@mythbuntu:~$ sudo grep -r bind-address /etc/mysql
/etc/mysql/mariadb.conf.d/50-server.cnf:bind-address = 127.0.0.1
/etc/mysql/conf.d/mythtv.cnf:#bind-address=::
jim@mythbuntu:~$
I think it chases the conf.d directory with the mythtv.cnf before it goes to mariadb.conf.d where ther is a bind-address=127.0.0.1

So I need to move the mythtv.cnf to mariadb.conf.d because it would be last in the list so that would fix it. I’ll test that tomorrow.

I got this fixed and tested, but I think it points out a potential “Bug” with the mythtv v29 installation. Here’s what I think needs to change.

On install when the dialog about remote computers accessing mythtv backend is displayed and ‘Yes’ is chosen, the mythtv.cnf file needs to get created and placed in mariadb.conf.d instead of conf.d because mariadb.conf.d is searched last and since the name mythtv.cnf is last alphabetically the bind-address statement will be the last one picked. SInce the 50-server.cnf file has a bind-address=127.0.0.1, the mythtv.cnf needs to override that bind-address by being set and not commented out. So “bind-address=::”

That’s what I did and everything is working now.

If the experts agree how does this get reported and fixed?

Jim A
Re: [Solved] mythtv v29 can't connect remote frontend [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 10:01 PM, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy@outlook.com>
wrote:

>
>
> I think I see the problem:
> *jim@mythbuntu*:*~*$ sudo grep -r bind-address /etc/mysql
> /etc/mysql/mariadb.conf.d/50-server.cnf:bind-address = 127.0.0.1
> /etc/mysql/conf.d/mythtv.cnf:#bind-address=::
> *jim@mythbuntu*:*~*$
> I think it chases the conf.d directory with the mythtv.cnf before it goes
> to mariadb.conf.d where ther is a bind-address=127.0.0.1
>
> So I need to move the mythtv.cnf to mariadb.conf.d because it would be
> last in the list so that would fix it. I’ll test that tomorrow.
>
>
> I got this fixed and tested, but I think it points out a potential “Bug”
> with the mythtv v29 installation. Here’s what I think needs to change.
>
> On install when the dialog about remote computers accessing mythtv backend
> is displayed and ‘Yes’ is chosen, the mythtv.cnf file needs to get created
> and placed in mariadb.conf.d instead of conf.d because mariadb.conf.d is
> searched last and since the name mythtv.cnf is last alphabetically the
> bind-address statement will be the last one picked. SInce the
> 50-server.cnf file has a bind-address=127.0.0.1, the mythtv.cnf needs to
> override that bind-address by being set and not commented out. So
> “bind-address=::”
>
> That’s what I did and everything is working now.
>
> If the experts agree how does this get reported and fixed?
>
> Jim A
>
>
I know it seems like a pain, but it is part of the process. There are pros
and cons on both sides, but I definitely do not want anything changing my
database server settings. I would recommend just making a mental (or
physical) note on it. I can pretty much guarantee noone is going to change
it. The mythbuntu distribution that Mashos maintained for so long was very
nice that it did all of that for you, but unfortunately it is gone for good
apparently.

No regular distribution (not 100% geared toward MythTV) would sanely change
your settings like that.
Re: [Solved] mythtv v29 can't connect remote frontend [ In reply to ]
On Jan 8, 2018, at 11:07 PM, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg@gmail.com<mailto:oliver.greg@gmail.com>> wrote:

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 10:01 PM, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy@outlook.com<mailto:jfabernathy@outlook.com>> wrote:


I think I see the problem:
jim@mythbuntu:~$ sudo grep -r bind-address /etc/mysql
/etc/mysql/mariadb.conf.d/50-server.cnf:bind-address = 127.0.0.1
/etc/mysql/conf.d/mythtv.cnf:#bind-address=::
jim@mythbuntu:~$
I think it chases the conf.d directory with the mythtv.cnf before it goes to mariadb.conf.d where ther is a bind-address=127.0.0.1

So I need to move the mythtv.cnf to mariadb.conf.d because it would be last in the list so that would fix it. I’ll test that tomorrow.

I got this fixed and tested, but I think it points out a potential “Bug” with the mythtv v29 installation. Here’s what I think needs to change.

On install when the dialog about remote computers accessing mythtv backend is displayed and ‘Yes’ is chosen, the mythtv.cnf file needs to get created and placed in mariadb.conf.d instead of conf.d because mariadb.conf.d is searched last and since the name mythtv.cnf is last alphabetically the bind-address statement will be the last one picked. SInce the 50-server.cnf file has a bind-address=127.0.0.1, the mythtv.cnf needs to override that bind-address by being set and not commented out. So “bind-address=::”

That’s what I did and everything is working now.

If the experts agree how does this get reported and fixed?

Jim A


I know it seems like a pain, but it is part of the process. There are pros and cons on both sides, but I definitely do not want anything changing my database server settings. I would recommend just making a mental (or physical) note on it. I can pretty much guarantee noone is going to change it. The mythbuntu distribution that Mashos maintained for so long was very nice that it did all of that for you, but unfortunately it is gone for good apparently.

No regular distribution (not 100% geared toward MythTV) would sanely change your settings like that.

I understand what you say about mythbuntu being gone. But I didn’t use that I just started with a clean Ubuntu 16.04 Server install and then installed the v29 repository and then mythtv.

That process does ask if remote computers will be used. Since it creates the mythtv.cnf file in response to that, I think it needs to set in the last searched directory (mariadb.conf.d) and it needs to be bind-address=:: or 0.0.0.0

I’ll document all this for my own needs but I think it’s a bug. v0.28 when installed on Ubuntu Server didn’t have this problem.

Jim A

P.S. thanks to all those who helped.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org<mailto:mythtv-users@mythtv.org>
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org