mythbuntu 16.04 and restore it to a new Ubuntu 16.04.3 Service where I
installed and tested mythtv version 29.  Both systems are on the same
subnet with different hostnames as required.

I can copy over the recorded TV to the new server and backup the old
mythtv database and move that to the new server.

What about the restore?  Do I have to shut down the old mythtv backend
and rename the new one to the old hostname before restoring the database?

Jim A

Re: restoring mythtv database [ In reply to ]
On 01/07/2018 07:48 AM, Jim Abernathy wrote:
> In the past my only backup and restore of a mythtv database has been
> when moving to newer hardware or O/S version upgrade. I was always told
> that one of the keys is to keep the ubuntu hostname the same before
> restoring. Not sure why.
>
> Now I have a need to backup a mythtv backend server running on 0.28 on
> mythbuntu 16.04 and restore it to a new Ubuntu 16.04.3 Service where I
> installed and tested mythtv version 29. Both systems are on the same
> subnet with different hostnames as required.
>
> I can copy over the recorded TV to the new server and backup the old
> mythtv database and move that to the new server.
>
> What about the restore? Do I have to shut down the old mythtv backend
> and rename the new one to the old hostname before restoring the database?

The host name is used as a MythTV identifier for recording location and
settings and more, so if you change your host name, you lose all the
information/recordings for that host. Therefore, it's easiest to use
the same host name.

If you want to do a blanket change of "everything about <old-host>
should become <new-host>", you can use:
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Change_the_hostname_of_a_MythTV_frontend_or_backend

Mike
Re: restoring mythtv database [ In reply to ]
On 01/07/2018 08:08 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 01/07/2018 07:48 AM, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>> In the past my only backup and restore of a mythtv database has been
>> when moving to newer hardware or O/S version upgrade.  I was always told
>> that one of the keys is to keep the ubuntu hostname the same before
>> restoring.  Not sure why.
>>
>> Now I have a need to backup a mythtv backend server running on 0.28 on
>> mythbuntu 16.04 and restore it to a new Ubuntu 16.04.3 Service where I
>> installed and tested mythtv version 29.  Both systems are on the same
>> subnet with different hostnames as required.
>>
>> I can copy over the recorded TV to the new server and backup the old
>> mythtv database and move that to the new server.
>>
>> What about the restore?  Do I have to shut down the old mythtv backend
>> and rename the new one to the old hostname before restoring the
>> database?
>
> The host name is used as a MythTV identifier for recording location
> and settings and more, so if you change your host name, you lose all
> the information/recordings for that host.  Therefore, it's easiest to
> use the same host name.
>
> If you want to do a blanket change of "everything about <old-host>
> should become <new-host>", you can use:
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Change_the_hostname_of_a_MythTV_frontend_or_backend
>

> Mike
> _______

ok, thanks.  Looks like I'll shut down the old system and rename the
host to get this done

Jim A