Mailing List Archive

running mythtv-setup remotely via ssh -X
So I’ve done the bit about installing a server based Ubuntu and mythtv and then running mythtv-setup via ssh -X to configure the backend so that I don’t have to have a GUI on the ubuntu server with mythtv backend running.

The problem is that I could only do the ssh -X from a Linux PC. Is there a way to do this from a Mac or windows PC?

Also if I install XFCE on top of Ubuntu Server that would allow me to do the mythtv-setup via a monitor/keyboard/mouse and unplug them when done. I would think that is minimal and stable if not using the GUI after setup, Right??

Jim A

Re: running mythtv-setup remotely via ssh -X [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 11:10 AM, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy@outlook.com> wrote:
> So I’ve done the bit about installing a server based Ubuntu and mythtv and then running mythtv-setup via ssh -X to configure the backend so that I don’t have to have a GUI on the ubuntu server with mythtv backend running.
>
> The problem is that I could only do the ssh -X from a Linux PC. Is there a way to do this from a Mac or windows PC?
>
> Also if I install XFCE on top of Ubuntu Server that would allow me to do the mythtv-setup via a monitor/keyboard/mouse and unplug them when done. I would think that is minimal and stable if not using the GUI after setup, Right??
>
> Jim A

Others may have better suggestions, but this is one option:

While I haven't done so in many years and can't recall the details,
I've done this from Windows using by installing cygwin. When I did
this, as I recall, I didn't run any sort of full desktop in cygwin,
but was able to configure it to run a terminal program within X. I
believe I used urxvt. With that running within X I was able to use ssh
-X no problem.

Another nice aspect of cygwin is that it uses all standard 'nix sort
of stuff, for example ~/.ssh and normal ssh keys, unlike those Godless
putty format ssh keys etc.

Tom
Re: running mythtv-setup remotely via ssh -X [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 10:28 AM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 11:10 AM, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy@outlook.com>
> wrote:
> > So I’ve done the bit about installing a server based Ubuntu and mythtv
> and then running mythtv-setup via ssh -X to configure the backend so that I
> don’t have to have a GUI on the ubuntu server with mythtv backend running.
> >
> > The problem is that I could only do the ssh -X from a Linux PC. Is
> there a way to do this from a Mac or windows PC?
> >
> > Also if I install XFCE on top of Ubuntu Server that would allow me to do
> the mythtv-setup via a monitor/keyboard/mouse and unplug them when done. I
> would think that is minimal and stable if not using the GUI after setup,
> Right??
> >
> > Jim A
> >
> Others may have better suggestions, but this is one option:
>
> While I haven't done so in many years and can't recall the details,
> I've done this from Windows using by installing cygwin. When I did
> this, as I recall, I didn't run any sort of full desktop in cygwin,
> but was able to configure it to run a terminal program within X. I
> believe I used urxvt. With that running within X I was able to use ssh
> -X no problem.
>
> Another nice aspect of cygwin is that it uses all standard 'nix sort
> of stuff, for example ~/.ssh and normal ssh keys, unlike those Godless
> putty format ssh keys etc.
>
> Tom

I have successfully used cygwin in windows to do it, and for OSX, it does
it natively. I returned my MBPro shortly after I ordered it the one time I
briefly used one, but with the X extension that can be installed (not sure
what it was called exactly, but it is in the OS settings somewhere), you
can run X11 apps over ssh just fine (exactly like linux).

I have not used Wayland on my frontends yet, but I can still display apps
over ssh using wayland on my laptop and connecting to my X11 frontends.
Re: running mythtv-setup remotely via ssh -X [ In reply to ]
On 01/06/2018 09:14 AM, Greg Oliver wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 10:28 AM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com
> <mailto:digitalaudiorock@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 11:10 AM, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy@outlook.com
> <mailto:jfabernathy@outlook.com>> wrote:
> > So I’ve done the bit about installing a server based Ubuntu and mythtv and then running mythtv-setup via ssh -X to configure the backend so that I don’t have to have a GUI on the ubuntu server with mythtv backend running.
> >
> > The problem is that I could only do the ssh -X from a Linux PC.  Is there a way to do this from a Mac or windows PC?
> >
> > Also if I install XFCE on top of Ubuntu Server that would allow me to do the mythtv-setup via a monitor/keyboard/mouse and unplug them when done.  I would think that is minimal and stable if not using the GUI after setup, Right??
> >
> > Jim A
> >
> Others may have better suggestions, but this is one option:
>
> While I haven't done so in many years and can't recall the details,
> I've done this from Windows using by installing cygwin. When I did
> this, as I recall, I didn't run any sort of full desktop in cygwin,
> but was able to configure it to run a terminal program within X. I
> believe I used urxvt. With that running within X I was able to use ssh
> -X no problem.
>
> Another nice aspect of cygwin is that it uses all standard 'nix sort
> of stuff, for example ~/.ssh and normal ssh keys, unlike those Godless
> putty format ssh keys etc.
>
> Tom
>
> I have successfully used cygwin in windows to do it, and for OSX, it does it
> natively.  I returned my MBPro shortly after I ordered it the one time I briefly
> used one, but with the X extension that can be installed (not sure what it was
> called exactly, but it is in the OS settings somewhere), you can run X11 apps
> over ssh just fine (exactly like linux).
>
> I have not used Wayland on my frontends yet, but I can still display apps over
> ssh using wayland on my laptop and connecting to my X11 frontends.

Other possibility I can think of would be to use vnc - start a vnc server on
the linux host, with the mythtv-setup running inside of that. Then get a vnc
client for windows and connect to it.

Re: running mythtv-setup remotely via ssh -X [ In reply to ]
Greg Oliver <oliver.greg@gmail.com> wrote:

> ... and for OSX, it does it natively.

Yes, it "just does it" - but IIRC (it's a long time since I had to install it) you have to manually add ZQuartz to you have a native X server on the Mac. Then it's just a matter of using "ssh -X ..." in a terminal window - either within XQuartz or in the native Termonal app, the latter will automatically open XQuartz.
I've found that by default the windows is too big for the screen, so I have to specify a window size with "mythtv-setup --geometry 800x600".

Re: running mythtv-setup remotely via ssh -X [ In reply to ]
> On 7 Jan 2018, at 1:37 am, mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org wrote:
>

> So I?ve done the bit about installing a server based Ubuntu and mythtv and then running mythtv-setup via ssh -X to configure the backend so that I don?t have to have a GUI on the ubuntu server with mythtv backend running.
>
> The problem is that I could only do the ssh -X from a Linux PC. Is there a way to do this from a Mac or windows PC?
>
> Also if I install XFCE on top of Ubuntu Server that would allow me to do the mythtv-setup via a monitor/keyboard/mouse and unplug them when done. I would think that is minimal and stable if not using the GUI after setup, Right??

Mac’s are unix machines that run the same ssh as linux machines (and x11 does work, I use it daily, I thought that I got XQuartz from my highsierra install, macports folk say no, so must be from macports, but you need XQuartz (and macports offers all manor of goodies) (so why mac: apple make very nice hardware so they can seamlessly drain all your money and macosx works very nicely on their hardware eg bluetooth pre-boot eg trackpad with pust-to-click, they power-save by sleeping the processor which runs much cooler than throttling the processor (same hardware), thay’ve got shitty speaker which they audio-process to sound good on linux the true quality shines through etc etc)

I’ve never played in the windoze domain but putty is mentioned often.

James
Re: running mythtv-setup remotely via ssh -X [ In reply to ]
> On 7 Jan 2018, at 1:37 am, mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org wrote:
>
> So I?ve done the bit about installing a server based Ubuntu and mythtv and then running mythtv-setup via ssh -X to configure the backend so that I don?t have to have a GUI on the ubuntu server with mythtv backend running.
>
> The problem is that I could only do the ssh -X from a Linux PC. Is there a way to do this from a Mac or windows PC?
>
> Also if I install XFCE on top of Ubuntu Server that would allow me to do the mythtv-setup via a monitor/keyboard/mouse and unplug them when done. I would think that is minimal and stable if not using the GUI after setup, Right??

Jim another answer that works well

I installed x11vnc on my server
I installed this file in /etc/systemd/system/x11vnc.service

[Unit]
Description=x11vnc VNC Server for X11
After=multi-user.target

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/usr/bin/x11vnc -ncache 10 -auth guess -forever -loop -noxdamage -repeat -nopw -rfbport 5900 -o /tmp/x11vnc.log -xkb -norc -noxrecord -nomodtweak

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

enabled it at boot time
# systemctl enable x11vnc.service

Then using any vnc viewer (I use chickenvnc) you can connect, get a desktop, do all you be admin (then you can use start in place of enable or just reboot)

James
Re: running mythtv-setup remotely via ssh -X [ In reply to ]
> On Jan 6, 2018, at 10:10 AM, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy@outlook.com> wrote:
>
> So I’ve done the bit about installing a server based Ubuntu and mythtv and then running mythtv-setup via ssh -X to configure the backend so that I don’t have to have a GUI on the ubuntu server with mythtv backend running.
>
> The problem is that I could only do the ssh -X from a Linux PC. Is there a way to do this from a Mac or windows PC?
>
> Also if I install XFCE on top of Ubuntu Server that would allow me to do the mythtv-setup via a monitor/keyboard/mouse and unplug them when done. I would think that is minimal and stable if not using the GUI after setup, Right??
>
> Jim A

Jim—

On Mac OS X, YES. I do it all the time. You need xQuartz:

https://www.xquartz.org/ <https://www.xquartz.org/>

Download, install.
From its Applications menu, open a new Terminal.
Do your ssh -X command from within that.
With your ssh -X session established, launch mythtv-setup.

Setup and enjoy.

Once you exit the mythtv-setup, you may have trouble with the window not closing and the mythtv-setup app appearing hung. If this happens, return to the xQuartz terminal window, try issuing Ctrl-C and carriage return several times, and it will close out. After that, you must restart the mythbackend however that is done on your Linux flavor.

Best,
Mike
Re: running mythtv-setup remotely via ssh -X [ In reply to ]
On 01/06/2018 07:44 PM, James Linder wrote:

>> On 7 Jan 2018, at 1:37 am, mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org wrote:
>>
>> So I?ve done the bit about installing a server based Ubuntu and mythtv and then running mythtv-setup via ssh -X to configure the backend so that I don?t have to have a GUI on the ubuntu server with mythtv backend running.
>>
>> The problem is that I could only do the ssh -X from a Linux PC. Is there a way to do this from a Mac or windows PC?
>>
>> Also if I install XFCE on top of Ubuntu Server that would allow me to do the mythtv-setup via a monitor/keyboard/mouse and unplug them when done. I would think that is minimal and stable if not using the GUI after setup, Right??
>
> Jim another answer that works well
>
> I installed x11vnc on my server
> I installed this file in /etc/systemd/system/x11vnc.service
>
> [Unit]
> Description=x11vnc VNC Server for X11
> After=multi-user.target
>
> [Service]
> Type=simple
> ExecStart=/usr/bin/x11vnc -ncache 10 -auth guess -forever -loop -noxdamage -repeat -nopw -rfbport 5900 -o /tmp/x11vnc.log -xkb -norc -noxrecord -nomodtweak
>
> [Install]
> WantedBy=multi-user.target
>
> enabled it at boot time
> # systemctl enable x11vnc.service
>
> Then using any vnc viewer (I use chickenvnc) you can connect, get a desktop, do all you be admin (then you can use start in place of enable or just reboot)
>
> James

Doesn't installing x11vnc require you to also have x11?  Or is x11 not
the problem, it's installing the whole Xubuntu desktop environment the
problem?

Jim A

Re: running mythtv-setup remotely via ssh -X [ In reply to ]
On 01/06/2018 07:34 PM, James Linder wrote:

>> On 7 Jan 2018, at 1:37 am, mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org wrote:
>>

>> So I?ve done the bit about installing a server based Ubuntu and mythtv and then running mythtv-setup via ssh -X to configure the backend so that I don?t have to have a GUI on the ubuntu server with mythtv backend running.
>>
>> The problem is that I could only do the ssh -X from a Linux PC. Is there a way to do this from a Mac or windows PC?
>>
>> Also if I install XFCE on top of Ubuntu Server that would allow me to do the mythtv-setup via a monitor/keyboard/mouse and unplug them when done. I would think that is minimal and stable if not using the GUI after setup, Right??
> Mac’s are unix machines that run the same ssh as linux machines (and x11 does work, I use it daily, I thought that I got XQuartz from my highsierra install, macports folk say no, so must be from macports, but you need XQuartz (and macports offers all manor of goodies) (so why mac: apple make very nice hardware so they can seamlessly drain all your money and macosx works very nicely on their hardware eg bluetooth pre-boot eg trackpad with pust-to-click, they power-save by sleeping the processor which runs much cooler than throttling the processor (same hardware), thay’ve got shitty speaker which they audio-process to sound good on linux the true quality shines through etc etc)
>
> I’ve never played in the windoze domain but putty is mentioned often.
>
> James

Memory serves that I've come across XQuartz before, but it's not on the
Macbook now.  Since I only run mythtv-setup rarely, I'll just run my
wife off her ubuntu desktop and setup the backend from their.

I also have a VirtualBox VM of Ubuntu on my MBP and I can use that Linux
to ssh -X into the mythtv backend.

Thanks,

Jim A

Re: running mythtv-setup remotely via ssh -X [ In reply to ]
On 6 January 2018 16:10:34 GMT+00:00, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy@outlook.com> wrote:
>The problem is that I could only do the ssh -X from a Linux PC. Is
>there a way to do this from a Mac or windows PC?

Easiest way to do this in Windows, in my experience, is to use Mobaxterm.

John
Re: running mythtv-setup remotely via ssh -X [ In reply to ]
On 07/01/18 11:45, Jim Abernathy wrote:
> Doesn't installing x11vnc require you to also have x11?  Or is x11 not
> the problem, it's installing the whole Xubuntu desktop environment the
> problem?
You don't need the whole Xubuntu desktop, xfce would be enough.
Personally I run Openbox on my backend/frontend combo.

Re: running mythtv-setup remotely via ssh -X [ In reply to ]
> On Jan 7, 2018, at 6:49 AM, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy@outlook.com> wrote:
>
> Memory serves that I've come across XQuartz before, but it's not on the
> Macbook now. …

The mac OS does not come with an X11 windowing environment out of the box. For more info, see:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201341

Two ways to install it are:

https://www.xquartz.org

Offers a standalone, standard Mac .dmg installer. However, other than building your own, there is not a lot of X11 apps to run _in_ that environment. So…

https://www.macports.org/install.php

Jumps through some hoops to install XCode and MacPorts, then run

sudo port install xorg-server

This installs the same code as the standalone .dmg installer. But, then you may be able to find some of your favourite X11-based packages to install:

https://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=category&substr=x11

MacPorts provides several thousand other open source packages; not just X11 stuff.

Craig
(I maintain a few packages for MacPorts, including Myth.)

Re: running mythtv-setup remotely via ssh -X [ In reply to ]
---- On Sat, 06 Jan 2018 16:10:34 +0000 Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy@outlook.com> wrote ----
> So I’ve done the bit about installing a server based Ubuntu and mythtv and then running mythtv-setup via ssh -X to configure the backend so that I don’t have to have a GUI on the ubuntu server with mythtv backend running.
>
> The problem is that I could only do the ssh -X from a Linux PC. Is there a way to do this from a Mac or windows PC?
>
> Also if I install XFCE on top of Ubuntu Server that would allow me to do the mythtv-setup via a monitor/keyboard/mouse and unplug them when done. I would think that is minimal and stable if not using the GUI after setup, Right??
>
> Jim A

i use putty & Xming on my Windows machines. https://sourceforge.net/projects/xming/
putty needs a quick config to enable x11 forwarding; create a connect as normal, then SSH > X11 > tick 'enable x11 forwarding' & set X display location = ':0' (colon 0). then save it so you dont have to do that every time.
I'm sure you can reconfigure xming to check/define a custom :0 display channel, but out-the-box config using :0 just works for me.

Re: running mythtv-setup remotely via ssh -X [ In reply to ]
> On 7 Jan 2018, at 7:54 pm, mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org wrote:
>

>>> So I?ve done the bit about installing a server based Ubuntu and mythtv and then running mythtv-setup via ssh -X to configure the backend so that I don?t have to have a GUI on the ubuntu server with mythtv backend running.
>>>
>>> The problem is that I could only do the ssh -X from a Linux PC. Is there a way to do this from a Mac or windows PC?
>>>
>>> Also if I install XFCE on top of Ubuntu Server that would allow me to do the mythtv-setup via a monitor/keyboard/mouse and unplug them when done. I would think that is minimal and stable if not using the GUI after setup, Right??
>>
>> Jim another answer that works well
>>
>> I installed x11vnc on my server
>> I installed this file in /etc/systemd/system/x11vnc.service
>>
>> [Unit]
>> Description=x11vnc VNC Server for X11
>> After=multi-user.target
>>
>> [Service]
>> Type=simple
>> ExecStart=/usr/bin/x11vnc -ncache 10 -auth guess -forever -loop -noxdamage -repeat -nopw -rfbport 5900 -o /tmp/x11vnc.log -xkb -norc -noxrecord -nomodtweak
>>
>> [Install]
>> WantedBy=multi-user.target
>>
>> enabled it at boot time
>> # systemctl enable x11vnc.service
>>
>> Then using any vnc viewer (I use chickenvnc) you can connect, get a desktop, do all you be admin (then you can use start in place of enable or just reboot)
>>
>> James
>
> Doesn't installing x11vnc require you to also have x11?? Or is x11 not
> the problem, it's installing the whole Xubuntu desktop environment the
> problem?

Indeed and sorry I did not read your question well enough.
ssh -X (with or without a desktop) has irritating lags (that vnc does not) caused I believe by the GL stuff.
It was irratating enough for me to go the vnc route. but not often or intrusive enough to for me tp spelunk.

I really don’t think wasting a couple of Gs on xfce is worth the pain of not having a desktop :-)

James
Re: running mythtv-setup remotely via ssh -X [ In reply to ]
---- On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 00:00:39 +0000 James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote ----

> >> Jim another answer that works well
> >>
> >> I installed x11vnc on my server
> >> I installed this file in /etc/systemd/system/x11vnc.service
> >>
> >> [Unit]
> >> Description=x11vnc VNC Server for X11
> >> After=multi-user.target
> >>
> >> [Service]
> >> Type=simple
> >> ExecStart=/usr/bin/x11vnc -ncache 10 -auth guess -forever -loop -noxdamage -repeat -nopw -rfbport 5900 -o /tmp/x11vnc.log -xkb -norc -noxrecord -nomodtweak
> >>
> >> [Install]
> >> WantedBy=multi-user.target
> >>
> >> enabled it at boot time
> >> # systemctl enable x11vnc.service
> >>
> >> Then using any vnc viewer (I use chickenvnc) you can connect, get a desktop, do all you be admin (then you can use start in place of enable or just reboot)
> >>
> >> James
> >
> > Doesn't installing x11vnc require you to also have x11?? Or is x11 not
> > the problem, it's installing the whole Xubuntu desktop environment the
> > problem?
>
> Indeed and sorry I did not read your question well enough.
> ssh -X (with or without a desktop) has irritating lags (that vnc does not) caused I believe by the GL stuff.
> It was irratating enough for me to go the vnc route. but not often or intrusive enough to for me tp spelunk.
>
> I really don’t think wasting a couple of Gs on xfce is worth the pain of not having a desktop :-)
>
> James

did you try it with the -C switch aswell (enables compression)... so 'ssh -XC hostname'?
i did find X laggy when i first started using it ( when my BE was mythbuntu i think it was) but recently (since my move to fedora/centos distros) i've not seen any issues with X11 performance. could be a distro thing, could be the fact i always use '-XC' now.

Re: running mythtv-setup remotely via ssh -X [ In reply to ]
On 01/08/2018 04:41 AM, Tim Draper wrote:

> ---- On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 00:00:39 +0000 James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote ----

> > > Doesn't installing x11vnc require you to also have x11?? Or is x11 not
> > > the problem, it's installing the whole Xubuntu desktop environment the
> > > problem?
> >
> > Indeed and sorry I did not read your question well enough.
> > ssh -X (with or without a desktop) has irritating lags (that vnc does not) caused I believe by the GL stuff.
> > It was irratating enough for me to go the vnc route. but not often or intrusive enough to for me tp spelunk.
> >
> > I really don’t think wasting a couple of Gs on xfce is worth the pain of not having a desktop :-)
> >
> > James
> >
> did you try it with the -C switch aswell (enables compression)... so 'ssh -XC hostname'?
> i did find X laggy when i first started using it ( when my BE was mythbuntu i think it was) but recently (since my move to fedora/centos distros) i've not seen any issues with X11 performance. could be a distro thing, could be the fact i always use '-XC' now.
>
> _

I have not installed x11vnc server yet, but answered my own question
about X11 being installed on a base Ubuntu Server and it is or was
installed by the mythtv install. So adding x11vnc would not be a storage
burden.  The reason I care is my whole Ubuntu server is running off a
Sandisk 16GB usb flash drive.  All my data storage is on 4 - 2TB hard
drives.

I didn't find the ssh -XC to be any faster than -X alone. But it's good
enough to run once every few month for maintenance of the BE.

Thanks,
Jim A

Re: running mythtv-setup remotely via ssh -X [ In reply to ]
On 01/07/2018 07:00 PM, James Linder wrote:

>>> Jim another answer that works well
>>>
>>> I installed x11vnc on my server
>>> I installed this file in /etc/systemd/system/x11vnc.service
>>>
>>> [Unit]
>>> Description=x11vnc VNC Server for X11
>>> After=multi-user.target
>>>
>>> [Service]
>>> Type=simple
>>> ExecStart=/usr/bin/x11vnc -ncache 10 -auth guess -forever -loop -noxdamage -repeat -nopw -rfbport 5900 -o /tmp/x11vnc.log -xkb -norc -noxrecord -nomodtweak
>>>
>>> [Install]
>>> WantedBy=multi-user.target
>>>
>>> enabled it at boot time
>>> # systemctl enable x11vnc.service
>>>
>>> Then using any vnc viewer (I use chickenvnc) you can connect, get a desktop, do all you be admin (then you can use start in place of enable or just reboot)
>>>
>>> James
>> Doesn't installing x11vnc require you to also have x11?? Or is x11 not
>> the problem, it's installing the whole Xubuntu desktop environment the
>> problem?
> Indeed and sorry I did not read your question well enough.
> ssh -X (with or without a desktop) has irritating lags (that vnc does not) caused I believe by the GL stuff.
> It was irratating enough for me to go the vnc route. but not often or intrusive enough to for me tp spelunk.
>
> I really don’t think wasting a couple of Gs on xfce is worth the pain of not having a desktop :-)
>
> James

So if you are running Ubuntu Server without a Desktop like XFCE, what do
you see with x11vnc client when you vnc to the server from Windows, Mac
or Linux?  just an xterm?

Jim A

Re: running mythtv-setup remotely via ssh -X [ In reply to ]
Indeed and sorry I did not read your question well enough.
ssh -X (with or without a desktop) has irritating lags (that vnc does not) caused I believe by the GL stuff.
It was irratating enough for me to go the vnc route. but not often or intrusive enough to for me tp spelunk.

I really don’t think wasting a couple of Gs on xfce is worth the pain of not having a desktop :-)

James

I finally figured out how to use Xquartz on my Macbook Pro to control my backend mythtv server remotely.

Install Xquartz.
Launch Xquartz
Select Xquartz Application -> Terminal
sudo ssh -X jim@192.168.0.205<mailto:jim@192.168.0.205> /usr/bin/mythtv-setup

This works for me without significant lag. I would only use it for mythtv-setup and I only run that once every few months at most.

Jim A