Mailing List Archive

Linux fo mythtv Centos vs. Ubuntu
So I saw some recommendations about using Centos7 for stability for a base for Mythtv backend. I’ve always used Ubuntu based O/S like Xubuntu LTS or mythbuntu. No issues with stability, but I have not run any other server features on that PC.

How well supported is mythtv on Centos? The wiki instructions point to using nux and the link for that yum is a dead link, at least today. I’m building a VM to test mythtv on Centos7 minimal, but I have a lot to learn and it starts with why nux and dextop is not there.

Jim A

Re: Linux fo mythtv Centos vs. Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On 5 January 2018 11:23:48 am Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy@outlook.com> wrote:

> So I saw some recommendations about using Centos7 for stability for a base
> for Mythtv backend. I’ve always used Ubuntu based O/S like Xubuntu LTS or
> mythbuntu. No issues with stability, but I have not run any other server
> features on that PC.
>
> How well supported is mythtv on Centos? The wiki instructions point to
> using nux and the link for that yum is a dead link, at least today. I’m
> building a VM to test mythtv on Centos7 minimal, but I have a lot to learn
> and it starts with why nux and dextop is not there.
>
> Jim A

My recommendation would be to use rpmfusion not nux-dextop. The rpmfusion
maintainer also frequents this list.

Mythtv only became available on rpmfusion about a year ago (give or take).

Re: Linux fo mythtv Centos vs. Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 8:10 PM, Mark Perkins <perkins1724@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> My recommendation would be to use rpmfusion not nux-dextop. The rpmfusion
> maintainer also frequents this list.
>
> Mythtv only became available on rpmfusion about a year ago (give or take).

Well I wouldn't say that :) I've been the package maintainer for the last
four years and Jarrod WIlson was before that...

Looking at the RPM Fusion SCM, it looks like there are branches back to
Fedora 8...

Thanks,
Richard
Re: Linux fo mythtv Centos vs. Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On 05/01/18 13:17, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 8:10 PM, Mark Perkins <perkins1724@hotmail.com
> <mailto:perkins1724@hotmail.com>> wrote:
>
> My recommendation would be to use rpmfusion not nux-dextop. The
> rpmfusion
> maintainer also frequents this list.
>
> Mythtv only became available on rpmfusion about a year ago (give or
> take).
>

> Well I wouldn't say that :) I've been the package maintainer for the
> last four years and Jarrod WIlson was before that...
>
> Looking at the RPM Fusion SCM, it looks like there are branches back to
> Fedora 8...
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

Yes Richard, but not with el7; there was quite a long gap between
release of el7 and support for _any_ el7 content at rpmfusion, not just
MythTV. It seems to be fine now, though. Thanks for ypur work there
and that of the rest of the rpmfusion team.

John

Re: Linux fo mythtv Centos vs. Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On 05/01/18 00:47, Jim Abernathy wrote:
> So I saw some recommendations about using Centos7 for stability for a base for Mythtv backend. I’ve always used Ubuntu based O/S like Xubuntu LTS or mythbuntu. No issues with stability, but I have not run any other server features on that PC.
>
> How well supported is mythtv on Centos? The wiki instructions point to using nux and the link for that yum is a dead link, at least today. I’m building a VM to test mythtv on Centos7 minimal, but I have a lot to learn and it starts with why nux and dextop is not there.
>
> Jim A

I commented earlier about the delayed arrival of rpmfusion support for
CentOS 7/Scientific Linux 7/ RHEL7 /el7, which probably explains why the
nux repo has been recommended. It may still have some unique media
packages, and I have seen a report that its operator has provided
responsive support. I used it for some time with no problems that I
remember, and I find that I still have some of its packages installed.
Now I'm running master and my current build system doesn't use it at all.

But I just looked at the site and it's still there, with MythTV packages
for 0.27 (Oct 2014), 0.28 (Aug 2016) and 29 (Oct 2017).

It's in the "Nux Dextop" repo here:

http://li.nux.ro/repos.html

to enable it, or browse at

http://li.nux.ro/download/nux/dextop/el7/x86_64/

John P

Re: Linux fo mythtv Centos vs. Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
> On Jan 5, 2018, at 2:26 PM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk@tesco.net> wrote:
>
> On 05/01/18 00:47, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>> So I saw some recommendations about using Centos7 for stability for a base for Mythtv backend. I’ve always used Ubuntu based O/S like Xubuntu LTS or mythbuntu. No issues with stability, but I have not run any other server features on that PC.
>> How well supported is mythtv on Centos? The wiki instructions point to using nux and the link for that yum is a dead link, at least today. I’m building a VM to test mythtv on Centos7 minimal, but I have a lot to learn and it starts with why nux and dextop is not there.
>> Jim A
>
> I commented earlier about the delayed arrival of rpmfusion support for CentOS 7/Scientific Linux 7/ RHEL7 /el7, which probably explains why the nux repo has been recommended. It may still have some unique media packages, and I have seen a report that its operator has provided responsive support. I used it for some time with no problems that I remember, and I find that I still have some of its packages installed. Now I'm running master and my current build system doesn't use it at all.
>
> But I just looked at the site and it's still there, with MythTV packages for 0.27 (Oct 2014), 0.28 (Aug 2016) and 29 (Oct 2017).
>
> It's in the "Nux Dextop" repo here:
>
> http://li.nux.ro/repos.html
>
> to enable it, or browse at
>
> http://li.nux.ro/download/nux/dextop/el7/x86_64/
>
> John P

So I got to work on the Centos7 mythtv in a VM for test and then I quickly realized I hadn’t worked with Fedora or Centos for 6 or 7 years. No way to solve all the dependency problems. Too big a learning curve for an old man. I’ll stick with Ubuntu LTS based. Thanks for the confirmation that all Linux DISTROs are complicated. I can get mythtv up and running on Ubuntu server or Desktop in under 30 minutes. So I’ll stay there.

I think what I’ll test next is getting a PC with 4-2TB of drives and a Core i7 processor running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS server with Mythtv backend, cifs, nfs and try to setup file share on the drives. I may try some software RAID mirrors to give a little protection. All my PCs are on UPS’s so I don’t fear hard drive crashes from power failures.

Wish me luck :-)

Jim A

Re: Linux fo mythtv Centos vs. Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On 5 January 2018 11:53:49 pm Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 8:10 PM, Mark Perkins <perkins1724@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> My recommendation would be to use rpmfusion not nux-dextop. The rpmfusion
>> maintainer also frequents this list.
>>
>> Mythtv only became available on rpmfusion about a year ago (give or take).
>

> Well I wouldn't say that :) I've been the package maintainer for the last
> four years and Jarrod WIlson was before that...
>
> Looking at the RPM Fusion SCM, it looks like there are branches back to
> Fedora 8...
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

Sorry I worded that badly, I should have made clear that I was talking in the context of Centos7 (as was in the OP IIRC) . I can't speak to the history because I don't know it but when I switched to Centos7 maybe 2yrs ago to get the necessary packages the only option (I could see) was nux-dextop and I presume that is why the wiki was written that way. I don't know why the necessary packages were not available through rpmfusion on Centos7.

And just for full disclosure I never had any issues with nux-dextop either, everything worked as well as I expected. But now that packages are available via rpmfusion (on Centos7) that is the way I have since moved.
Re: Linux fo mythtv Centos vs. Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On 06/01/18 10:12, Jim Abernathy wrote:

> So I got to work on the Centos7 mythtv in a VM for test and then I quickly realized I hadn’t worked with Fedora or Centos for 6 or 7 years. No way to solve all the dependency problems. Too big a learning curve for an old man. I’ll stick with Ubuntu LTS based. Thanks for the confirmation that all Linux DISTROs are complicated. I can get mythtv up and running on Ubuntu server or Desktop in under 30 minutes. So I’ll stay there.

I usually compile mythtv from source but just tried to install from a
base Centos7 image from scratch to see what was going on. Looks like
might be a couple of issues at the moment?

First added EPEL ok:
$yum install epel-release

Then added rpmfusion (free and non free) ok:
$yum localinstall --nogpgcheck
https://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/el/rpmfusion-free-release-7.noarch.rpm
https://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/el/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-7.noarch.rpm

Updated ok:
$yum update

Then tried to install mythtv. Two problems, missing dependency
google-droid-sans-fonts and version problem with mythweb. Also looks
like still 0.28 not 29.
$yum install mythtv

Error: Package: mythtv-setup-0.28.1-5.el7.x86_64 (rpmfusion-free-updates)
           Requires: google-droid-sans-fonts
Error: Package: mythtv-0.28.1-5.el7.x86_64 (rpmfusion-free-updates)
           Requires: mythweb = 0.28.1
           Available: mythweb-0.28-6.el7.noarch (rpmfusion-free-updates)
               mythweb = 0.28-6.el7
Error: Package: mythtv-frontend-0.28.1-5.el7.x86_64 (rpmfusion-free-updates)
           Requires: google-droid-sans-mono-fonts

The font I could work around by enabling EPEL testing
($yum-config-manager --enable epel-testing). But I cannot immediately
see how to get around the mythweb version mismatch. Would need Richards
guidance on this one.

It appears that nux-dextop is still working fine and is also providing
version 29:
$yum install epel-release
$rpm -Uvh
http://li.nux.ro/download/nux/dextop/el7/x86_64/nux-dextop-release-0-5.el7.nux.noarch.rpm
$yum update
$yum install mythtv
Re: Linux fo mythtv Centos vs. Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
> On Jan 6, 2018, at 8:07 AM, Mark Perkins <perkins1724@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 06/01/18 10:12, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>>
>> So I got to work on the Centos7 mythtv in a VM for test and then I quickly realized I hadn’t worked with Fedora or Centos for 6 or 7 years. No way to solve all the dependency problems. Too big a learning curve for an old man. I’ll stick with Ubuntu LTS based. Thanks for the confirmation that all Linux DISTROs are complicated. I can get mythtv up and running on Ubuntu server or Desktop in under 30 minutes. So I’ll stay there.
>>

> I usually compile mythtv from source but just tried to install from a
> base Centos7 image from scratch to see what was going on. Looks like
> might be a couple of issues at the moment?
>
> First added EPEL ok:
> $yum install epel-release
>
> Then added rpmfusion (free and non free) ok:
> $yum localinstall --nogpgcheck
> https://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/el/rpmfusion-free-release-7.noarch.rpm
> https://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/el/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-7.noarch.rpm
>
> Updated ok:
> $yum update
>
> Then tried to install mythtv. Two problems, missing dependency
> google-droid-sans-fonts and version problem with mythweb. Also looks
> like still 0.28 not 29.
> $yum install mythtv

> Error: Package: mythtv-setup-0.28.1-5.el7.x86_64 (rpmfusion-free-updates)
> Requires: google-droid-sans-fonts
> Error: Package: mythtv-0.28.1-5.el7.x86_64 (rpmfusion-free-updates)
> Requires: mythweb = 0.28.1
> Available: mythweb-0.28-6.el7.noarch (rpmfusion-free-updates)
> mythweb = 0.28-6.el7
> Error: Package: mythtv-frontend-0.28.1-5.el7.x86_64 (rpmfusion-free-updates)
> Requires: google-droid-sans-mono-fonts

Sames problems I saw in my test. I might try a VM to test Centos7 minimal with nux-dextop version 29 and mythtv as a comparison.

Jim A

Re: Linux fo mythtv Centos vs. Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
---- On Sat, 06 Jan 2018 14:12:13 +0000 Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy@outlook.com> wrote ----

> > On Jan 6, 2018, at 8:07 AM, Mark Perkins <perkins1724@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On 06/01/18 10:12, Jim Abernathy wrote:
> >>
> >> So I got to work on the Centos7 mythtv in a VM for test and then I quickly realized I hadn’t worked with Fedora or Centos for 6 or 7 years. No way to solve all the dependency problems. Too big a learning curve for an old man. I’ll stick with Ubuntu LTS based. Thanks for the confirmation that all Linux DISTROs are complicated. I can get mythtv up and running on Ubuntu server or Desktop in under 30 minutes. So I’ll stay there.
> >>

> > I usually compile mythtv from source but just tried to install from a
> > base Centos7 image from scratch to see what was going on. Looks like
> > might be a couple of issues at the moment?
> >
> > First added EPEL ok:
> > $yum install epel-release
> >
> > Then added rpmfusion (free and non free) ok:
> > $yum localinstall --nogpgcheck
> > https://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/el/rpmfusion-free-release-7.noarch.rpm
> > https://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/el/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-7.noarch.rpm
> >
> > Updated ok:
> > $yum update
> >
> > Then tried to install mythtv. Two problems, missing dependency
> > google-droid-sans-fonts and version problem with mythweb. Also looks
> > like still 0.28 not 29.
> > $yum install mythtv

> > Error: Package: mythtv-setup-0.28.1-5.el7.x86_64 (rpmfusion-free-updates)
> > Requires: google-droid-sans-fonts
> > Error: Package: mythtv-0.28.1-5.el7.x86_64 (rpmfusion-free-updates)
> > Requires: mythweb = 0.28.1
> > Available: mythweb-0.28-6.el7.noarch (rpmfusion-free-updates)
> > mythweb = 0.28-6.el7
> > Error: Package: mythtv-frontend-0.28.1-5.el7.x86_64 (rpmfusion-free-updates)
> > Requires: google-droid-sans-mono-fonts
> >

> Sames problems I saw in my test. I might try a VM to test Centos7 minimal with nux-dextop version 29 and mythtv as a comparison.
>
> Jim A
>
> > The font I could work around by enabling EPEL testing
> > ($yum-config-manager --enable epel-testing). But I cannot immediately
> > see how to get around the mythweb version mismatch. Would need Richards
> > guidance on this one.
> >
> > It appears that nux-dextop is still working fine and is also providing
> > version 29:
> > $yum install epel-release
> > $rpm -Uvh
> > http://li.nux.ro/download/nux/dextop/el7/x86_64/nux-dextop-release-0-5.el7.nux.noarch.rpm
> > $yum update
> > $yum install mythtv

i actually gave up with centos and repo based mythtv updates. I found the same as you two did; rpmfusion is out of date, and iirc, while nux repo has 29, it doesnt seem to be kept upto date. certainly over christmas, the --version number of mythtv components that reference git commits, didnt line up with anything on the first page of commits.

for the times i update my mythtv infra, recompiling isnt too much of an issue. new major versions i tend to update around 0day+1month, active bugs i track on git commits/bug trac and update when fixed, and i maybe update myth once every 3-6months for general patching.

that said, i did find ansible on centos7 broken ('ansible-playbook -i hosts qt5.yml' method) when it hits the perl requirements in the playbook. theres a recent post about it from me somewhere.
I ended up manually installing the perl deps, then commenting out the perl section of ansible to allow it to continue and report any further issues.

dont take this post as a complaint or moan. there's that many distro's in use that i understand some may be more polished than others. with the decision to drop mythbuntu a while back, it's quite evident efforts are being (correctly imo) concentrated on the core software and not at the distro level.

aside from that, i've not had any real differences between running a ubuntu or rhel-esque distro, it's all down to distro preference. just simpler for me to run the same distro at work as at home.

Re: Linux fo mythtv Centos vs. Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
> [...]
>
> that said, i did find ansible on centos7 broken ('ansible-playbook -i hosts qt5.yml' method) when it hits the perl requirements in the playbook. theres a recent post about it from me somewhere.
> I ended up manually installing the perl deps, then commenting out the perl section of ansible to allow it to continue and report any further issues.
>
> dont take this post as a complaint or moan. there's that many distro's in use that i understand some may be more polished than others. with the decision to drop mythbuntu a while back, it's quite evident efforts are being (correctly imo) concentrated on the core software and not at the distro level.
>
> aside from that, i've not had any real differences between running a ubuntu or rhel-esque distro, it's all down to distro preference. just simpler for me to run the same distro at work as at home.

I left all the history for this thread because it is pointing out a deeper problem.

I wonder if it is time to do mythtv as a snap package that could be installed on any distribution with the dependencies included in the package. I understand that the rpm based distributions can also use snap packages as can other distributions. Solus has also been touting snap packaging after initially being against them.

Food for future thought.

Regards,

Jay
Re: Linux fo mythtv Centos vs. Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 6:42 AM jrh <jharbestonus@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> decision to drop mythbuntu a while back, it's quite evident efforts are
> being (correctly imo) concentrated on the core software and not at the
> distro level.
>
> aside from that, i've not had any real differences between running a
> ubuntu or rhel-esque distro, it's all down to distro preference. just
> simpler for me to run the same distro at work as at home.
>

> I left all the history for this thread because it is pointing out a deeper
> problem.
>
> I wonder if it is time to do mythtv as a snap package that could be
> installed on any distribution with the dependencies included in the
> package. I understand that the rpm based distributions can also use snap
> packages as can other distributions. Solus has also been touting snap
> packaging after initially being against them.

It's been almost a year but I gave up on making a snap package for MythTV.
IIRC, you'll need to make a custom snap (backend?) so you'll be able to
access things like tuners.

I won't get into the Ubuntu vs Centos part other than to say the Ubuntu
packages in the PPA should be up to date and have no dependency issues. If
they do or are out of date someone needs to shoot me an email so I can fix
them as I don't use MythTV anymore.

Thomas
--
-Thomas
Re: Linux fo mythtv Centos vs. Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
I hadn't noticed that no one build mythweb 0.29 for EL 7 on RPM Fusion,
someone else was originally maintaining the EL 7 branch. It's built now but
may be a little while before it makes it into the repos.

Thanks,
Richard
Re: Linux fo mythtv Centos vs. Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
---- On Sun, 07 Jan 2018 14:16:18 +0000 Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote ----
> I hadn't noticed that no one build mythweb 0.29 for EL 7 on RPM Fusion, someone else was originally maintaining the EL 7 branch. It's built now but may be a little while before it makes it into the repos.
> Thanks,Richard _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users@mythtv.org

does that mean you've taken over building and are handling myth29 on rpmfusion?
i assume that also means nightly (or reasonably quick) automagic builds that we can rely on?

if so, i'm more than happy to add rpmfusion to my environment...

Re: Linux fo mythtv Centos vs. Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 9:23 AM, Tim Draper <veehexx@zoho.com> wrote:

> ---- On Sun, 07 Jan 2018 14:16:18 +0000 Richard Shaw <
> hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote ----
> > I hadn't noticed that no one build mythweb 0.29 for EL 7 on RPM Fusion,
> someone else was originally maintaining the EL 7 branch. It's built now but
> may be a little while before it makes it into the repos.
> > Thanks,Richard _______________________________________________
> >
> does that mean you've taken over building and are handling myth29 on
> rpmfusion?
> i assume that also means nightly (or reasonably quick) automagic builds
> that we can rely on?
>
> if so, i'm more than happy to add rpmfusion to my environment...

Working on it, but already ran into the ttvdb issue needing python packages
that either aren't available or are too old... I plan to at least get 0.28
usable though.

Thanks,
Richard
Re: Linux fo mythtv Centos vs. Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On 08/01/18 15:30, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 9:23 AM, Tim Draper <veehexx@zoho.com
> <mailto:veehexx@zoho.com>> wrote:
>
>  ---- On Sun, 07 Jan 2018 14:16:18 +0000 Richard Shaw
> <hobbes1069@gmail.com <mailto:hobbes1069@gmail.com>> wrote ----
>  > I hadn't noticed that no one build mythweb 0.29 for EL 7 on RPM
> Fusion, someone else was originally maintaining the EL 7 branch.
> It's built now but may be a little while before it makes it into the
> repos.
>  > Thanks,Richard _______________________________________________
>  >
> does that mean you've taken over building and are handling myth29 on
> rpmfusion?
> i assume that also means nightly (or reasonably quick) automagic
> builds that we can rely on?
>
> if so, i'm more than happy to add rpmfusion to my environment...
>

> Working on it, but already ran into the ttvdb issue needing python
> packages that either aren't available or are too old... I plan to at
> least get 0.28 usable though.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

Richard: I posted this when I got my builds for el7 and fc25 to
complete. I've been using updated builds for el7 and fc26 since then -
but I've never tried to use the ttvdb, so that part might not actually
work :-)

https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/dev/611988#611988

Cheers,

John

Re: Linux fo mythtv Centos vs. Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On 05/01/18 00:47, Jim Abernathy wrote:
> So I saw some recommendations about using Centos7 for stability for a base for Mythtv backend. I’ve always used Ubuntu based O/S like Xubuntu LTS or mythbuntu. No issues with stability, but I have not run any other server features on that PC.
>
> How well supported is mythtv on Centos? The wiki instructions point to using nux and the link for that yum is a dead link, at least today. I’m building a VM to test mythtv on Centos7 minimal, but I have a lot to learn and it starts with why nux and dextop is not there.

Our primary platform by installed user base is Ubuntu.
As a consequence we are trying to release major versions
to be part of each LTS release.

Centos has minimal user base, and is really only for fans
of rpm based distros that want stability.

Go with what works for you, given you've always used something
ubuntu based, install latest ubuntu lts release and enable the
mythtv ppa.

Regards
Stuart