Mailing List Archive

Correct setup?
Hello!

I have used MythTV for many years but when it comes to capture cards and
channel scanning I have never really understood how to configure this
correctly. This means that whenever I have to change something about
this it feels it is trial and error before I get it to work again.

Could someone please tell me if there is something wrong with my current
configuration or if I should do some changes that makes it easier to
maintain?

Capture Cards:
- Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T 500
[DVB: /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0]
[DVB: /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0]
- pctv tripleStick 292e
[DVB: /dev/dvb/adapter2/frontend0]

Video Sources:
- Digital terrestrial television in Sweden (DVB-T and DVB-T2)
DVB-T_Tuner1, Listings grabber: Sweden (swedb/tvsajten) (xmltv), Channel frequency table: europe-west
DVB-T_Tuner2, Listings grabber: Sweden (swedb/tvsajten) (xmltv), Channel frequency table: europe-west
DVB-T2, Listings grabber: Sweden (swedb/tvsajten) (xmltv), Channel frequency table: europe-west

Input Connections:
- [DVB: /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0](DVBInput) -> DVB-T_Tuner1
- [DVB: /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0](DVBInput) -> DVB-T_Tuner2
- [DVB: /dev/dvb/adapter2/frontend0](DVBInput) -> DVB-T2

For this I have 3 different configuration files for xmltv.

Maybe since all capture cards receive the stream from the same antenna
it should be enough with with one single video source and the input
connections all reference this single video source?

And also one single configuration file f?r xmltv would be enough?

Best regards,
Peter Carlsson
Re: Correct setup? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 00:27:41 +0100, you wrote:

>Hello!
>
>I have used MythTV for many years but when it comes to capture cards and
>channel scanning I have never really understood how to configure this
>correctly. This means that whenever I have to change something about
>this it feels it is trial and error before I get it to work again.
>
>Could someone please tell me if there is something wrong with my current
>configuration or if I should do some changes that makes it easier to
>maintain?
>
>Capture Cards:
>- Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T 500
> [DVB: /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0]
> [DVB: /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0]
>- pctv tripleStick 292e
> [DVB: /dev/dvb/adapter2/frontend0]
>
>Video Sources:
>- Digital terrestrial television in Sweden (DVB-T and DVB-T2)
> DVB-T_Tuner1, Listings grabber: Sweden (swedb/tvsajten) (xmltv), Channel frequency table: europe-west
> DVB-T_Tuner2, Listings grabber: Sweden (swedb/tvsajten) (xmltv), Channel frequency table: europe-west
> DVB-T2, Listings grabber: Sweden (swedb/tvsajten) (xmltv), Channel frequency table: europe-west
>
>Input Connections:
>- [DVB: /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0](DVBInput) -> DVB-T_Tuner1
>- [DVB: /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0](DVBInput) -> DVB-T_Tuner2
>- [DVB: /dev/dvb/adapter2/frontend0](DVBInput) -> DVB-T2
>
>For this I have 3 different configuration files for xmltv.
>
>Maybe since all capture cards receive the stream from the same antenna
>it should be enough with with one single video source and the input
>connections all reference this single video source?
>
>And also one single configuration file f?r xmltv would be enough?
>
>Best regards,
>Peter Carlsson

You only need two sources - one for DVB-T only (no DVB-T2 listings),
used with both of the DVB-T tuners. And one for DVB-T and DVB-T2
listings combined, as the DVB-T2 tuner can record from both types of
multiplex.

If there are no actual DVB-T2 multiplexes, then you could use one
source for all three tuners.
Re: Correct setup? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 04:10:12PM +1300, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 00:27:41 +0100, you wrote:
>
> >Hello!
> >
> >I have used MythTV for many years but when it comes to capture cards and
> >channel scanning I have never really understood how to configure this
> >correctly. This means that whenever I have to change something about
> >this it feels it is trial and error before I get it to work again.
> >
> >Could someone please tell me if there is something wrong with my current
> >configuration or if I should do some changes that makes it easier to
> >maintain?
> >
> >Capture Cards:
> >- Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T 500
> > [DVB: /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0]
> > [DVB: /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0]
> >- pctv tripleStick 292e
> > [DVB: /dev/dvb/adapter2/frontend0]
> >
> >Video Sources:
> >- Digital terrestrial television in Sweden (DVB-T and DVB-T2)
> > DVB-T_Tuner1, Listings grabber: Sweden (swedb/tvsajten) (xmltv), Channel frequency table: europe-west
> > DVB-T_Tuner2, Listings grabber: Sweden (swedb/tvsajten) (xmltv), Channel frequency table: europe-west
> > DVB-T2, Listings grabber: Sweden (swedb/tvsajten) (xmltv), Channel frequency table: europe-west
> >
> >Input Connections:
> >- [DVB: /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0](DVBInput) -> DVB-T_Tuner1
> >- [DVB: /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0](DVBInput) -> DVB-T_Tuner2
> >- [DVB: /dev/dvb/adapter2/frontend0](DVBInput) -> DVB-T2
> >
> >For this I have 3 different configuration files for xmltv.
> >
> >Maybe since all capture cards receive the stream from the same antenna
> >it should be enough with with one single video source and the input
> >connections all reference this single video source?
> >
> >And also one single configuration file f?r xmltv would be enough?
> >
> >Best regards,
> >Peter Carlsson
>
> You only need two sources - one for DVB-T only (no DVB-T2 listings),
> used with both of the DVB-T tuners. And one for DVB-T and DVB-T2
> listings combined, as the DVB-T2 tuner can record from both types of
> multiplex.

Thanks, that's at least one file less to maintain

Best regards,
Peter Carlsson
Re: Correct setup? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 11:34:06AM +0100, Peter Carlsson wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 04:10:12PM +1300, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> > On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 00:27:41 +0100, you wrote:
> >
> > >Hello!
> > >
> > >I have used MythTV for many years but when it comes to capture cards and
> > >channel scanning I have never really understood how to configure this
> > >correctly. This means that whenever I have to change something about
> > >this it feels it is trial and error before I get it to work again.
> > >
> > >Could someone please tell me if there is something wrong with my current
> > >configuration or if I should do some changes that makes it easier to
> > >maintain?
> > >
> > >Capture Cards:
> > >- Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T 500
> > > [DVB: /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0]
> > > [DVB: /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0]
> > >- pctv tripleStick 292e
> > > [DVB: /dev/dvb/adapter2/frontend0]
> > >
> > >Video Sources:
> > >- Digital terrestrial television in Sweden (DVB-T and DVB-T2)
> > > DVB-T_Tuner1, Listings grabber: Sweden (swedb/tvsajten) (xmltv), Channel frequency table: europe-west
> > > DVB-T_Tuner2, Listings grabber: Sweden (swedb/tvsajten) (xmltv), Channel frequency table: europe-west
> > > DVB-T2, Listings grabber: Sweden (swedb/tvsajten) (xmltv), Channel frequency table: europe-west
> > >
> > >Input Connections:
> > >- [DVB: /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0](DVBInput) -> DVB-T_Tuner1
> > >- [DVB: /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0](DVBInput) -> DVB-T_Tuner2
> > >- [DVB: /dev/dvb/adapter2/frontend0](DVBInput) -> DVB-T2
> > >
> > >For this I have 3 different configuration files for xmltv.
> > >
> > >Maybe since all capture cards receive the stream from the same antenna
> > >it should be enough with with one single video source and the input
> > >connections all reference this single video source?
> > >
> > >And also one single configuration file f?r xmltv would be enough?
> > >
> > >Best regards,
> > >Peter Carlsson
> >
> > You only need two sources - one for DVB-T only (no DVB-T2 listings),
> > used with both of the DVB-T tuners. And one for DVB-T and DVB-T2
> > listings combined, as the DVB-T2 tuner can record from both types of
> > multiplex.
> >
> > If there are no actual DVB-T2 multiplexes, then you could use one
> > source for all three tuners.
>
> Thanks, that's at least one file less to maintain

Today I had to rescan my channels and I wanted to make a clean start so I
removed all capture cards and video sources and then I added my capture
cards, added my video sources and created the input connections.

I then used mythtv-setup from the command line to scan for channels for
all cardid's.

I then added xmltvid to the channels I want to use and ran
mythfilldatabase.

If I now look at the upcoming recordings none will be recorded since all
my inputs/connections are disconnected.

Have I missed a step in the setup?

I am on v29.0.

Any help would be appreciated!

Best regards,
Peter Carlsson
Re: Correct setup? [ In reply to ]
> Have I missed a step in the setup?
>
> I am on v29.0.
>
> Any help would be appreciated!
>
> Best regards,
> Peter Carlsson

Would need to see the log file of the backend starting. Either check the
location applicable to your distro of choice or stop the BE and start it in
a terminal window.

Re: Correct setup? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 04:36:14AM +0000, Mark Perkins wrote:

> > Have I missed a step in the setup?
> >
> > I am on v29.0.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated!
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Peter Carlsson
>
> Would need to see the log file of the backend starting. Either check the
> location applicable to your distro of choice or stop the BE and start it in
> a terminal window.

After a reboot most things seems to work!

One thing that is still a problem is that my pctv tripleStick 292e
didn't find any HD channels which I had before.

When I bought the 292e back in 2014 the support for DVB-T2 in mythtv
wasn't fully implemented. I recall I had to manually modify the
dtv_multiplex db table and change the frequency to 730000000 and set
mod_sys to DVB-T2 before scanning.

Now these values are 554000000 and UNDEFINED. Do I still have to change
those values manually and rescan?

Best regards,
Peter Carlsson
Re: Correct setup? [ In reply to ]
On 11/01/18 21:05, Peter Carlsson wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 04:36:14AM +0000, Mark Perkins wrote:
>>
>>> Have I missed a step in the setup?
>>>
>>> I am on v29.0.
>>>
>>> Any help would be appreciated!
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Peter Carlsson
>>
>> Would need to see the log file of the backend starting. Either check the
>> location applicable to your distro of choice or stop the BE and start it in
>> a terminal window.
>
> After a reboot most things seems to work!
>
> One thing that is still a problem is that my pctv tripleStick 292e
> didn't find any HD channels which I had before.
>
> When I bought the 292e back in 2014 the support for DVB-T2 in mythtv
> wasn't fully implemented. I recall I had to manually modify the
> dtv_multiplex db table and change the frequency to 730000000 and set
> mod_sys to DVB-T2 before scanning.
>
> Now these values are 554000000 and UNDEFINED. Do I still have to change
> those values manually and rescan?
>
> Best regards,
> Peter Carlsson

I believe the 292e is fully supported now, but mythtvsetup has changed
and releases differ. You should be able to set the frequency and DVB-T2
from the Transport Editor, and maybe do a scan with 'links to other
Transports' set.

That driver doesn't autoswitch between DVB-T and DVB-T2

John P

Re: Correct setup? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 09:42:50PM +0000, John Pilkington wrote:

> > > Would need to see the log file of the backend starting. Either check the
> > > location applicable to your distro of choice or stop the BE and start it in
> > > a terminal window.
> >
> > After a reboot most things seems to work!
> >
> > One thing that is still a problem is that my pctv tripleStick 292e
> > didn't find any HD channels which I had before.
> >
> > When I bought the 292e back in 2014 the support for DVB-T2 in mythtv
> > wasn't fully implemented. I recall I had to manually modify the
> > dtv_multiplex db table and change the frequency to 730000000 and set
> > mod_sys to DVB-T2 before scanning.
> >
> > Now these values are 554000000 and UNDEFINED. Do I still have to change
> > those values manually and rescan?
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Peter Carlsson
>
> I believe the 292e is fully supported now, but mythtvsetup has changed and
> releases differ. You should be able to set the frequency and DVB-T2 from
> the Transport Editor, and maybe do a scan with 'links to other Transports'
> set.
>
> That driver doesn't autoswitch between DVB-T and DVB-T2

Thanks for the reply!

I changed the frequency but it didn't find any HD channels anyway.

How do I perform a scan with 'links to other Transports'? Do you mean I
should select '--service-type all' to scan not only for TV?

Do I manually have to switch between DVB-T and DVB-T2?

Best regards,
Peter Carlsson
Re: Correct setup? [ In reply to ]
On 13/01/18 22:29, Peter Carlsson wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 09:42:50PM +0000, John Pilkington wrote:

>>> After a reboot most things seems to work!
>>>
>>> One thing that is still a problem is that my pctv tripleStick 292e
>>> didn't find any HD channels which I had before.
>>>
>>> When I bought the 292e back in 2014 the support for DVB-T2 in mythtv
>>> wasn't fully implemented. I recall I had to manually modify the
>>> dtv_multiplex db table and change the frequency to 730000000 and set
>>> mod_sys to DVB-T2 before scanning.
>>>
>>> Now these values are 554000000 and UNDEFINED. Do I still have to change
>>> those values manually and rescan?
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Peter Carlsson
>>
>> I believe the 292e is fully supported now, but mythtvsetup has changed and
>> releases differ. You should be able to set the frequency and DVB-T2 from
>> the Transport Editor, and maybe do a scan with 'links to other Transports'
>> set.
>>
>> That driver doesn't autoswitch between DVB-T and DVB-T2
>
> Thanks for the reply!
>
> I changed the frequency but it didn't find any HD channels anyway.
>
> How do I perform a scan with 'links to other Transports'? Do you mean I
> should select '--service-type all' to scan not only for TV?
>
> Do I manually have to switch between DVB-T and DVB-T2?

I'm sorry it wasn't clear. I don't have a 292e, but it seems that you
have found the device and have set up working Video sources and Input
connections. I suppose it may be detectable as two devices, one for
DVB-T and one for DVB-T2, and perhaps you have enabled only the first.

I would expect the default Full Scan to work, although it may find
signals from several transmitters and lead to a need for editing. My
suggestion about 'links for other Transports' can avoid that, but
shouldn't be essential. It's found in the Transport Editor after
several applications of the > > > key - and returns with <.

I record a lot of radio programmes, but you may only want tv.

Once you have it set up I don't think you have to switch manually.

HTH

John

Re: Correct setup? [ In reply to ]
On 14/01/18 00:10, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 13/01/18 22:29, Peter Carlsson wrote:

>>> I believe the 292e is fully supported now, but mythtvsetup has
>>> changed and
>>> releases differ.  You should be able to set the frequency and DVB-T2
>>> from
>>> the Transport Editor, and maybe do a scan with 'links to other
>>> Transports'
>>> set.
>>>
>>> That driver doesn't autoswitch between DVB-T and DVB-T2
>>
>> Thanks for the reply!
>>
>> I changed the frequency but it didn't find any HD channels anyway.
>>
>> How do I perform a scan with 'links to other Transports'? Do you mean I
>> should select '--service-type all' to scan not only for TV?
>>
>> Do I manually have to switch between DVB-T and DVB-T2?
>

> I'm sorry it wasn't clear.  I don't have a 292e, but it seems that you
> have found the device and have set up working Video sources and Input
> connections.  I suppose it may be detectable as two devices, one for
> DVB-T and one for DVB-T2, and perhaps you have enabled only the first.

Since it's a 'tripleStick' it might appear as 3 adapters, although the
linuxtv page shows only one.

https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/PCTV_Systems_tripleStick_T2_(292e)

Try 'dmesg | grep adapter' and/or 'dmesg | grep firmware'

Here's what I see in my production box, where the two Kworld devices are
in a single usb dongle. With the standard el7 kernel the adapter
numbers may change on reboot, despite the presence of a config file.

[ 20.193386] DVB: registering new adapter (Kworld UB499-2T T09)
[ 20.398790] usb 1-2: DVB: registering adapter 1 frontend 0 (Afatech
AF9033 (DVB-T))...
[ 20.632958] DVB: registering new adapter (Kworld UB499-2T T09)
[ 20.649294] usb 1-2: DVB: registering adapter 2 frontend 0 (Afatech
AF9033 (DVB-T))...
[ 23.781050] DVB: registering new adapter (saa7133[0])
[ 23.781064] saa7134 0000:07:04.0: DVB: registering adapter 0 frontend
0 (Philips TDA10046H DVB-T)...

Re: Correct setup? [ In reply to ]
On 14/01/18 10:38, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 14/01/18 00:10, John Pilkington wrote:

>>> Thanks for the reply!
>>>
>>> I changed the frequency but it didn't find any HD channels anyway.
>>>
>>> How do I perform a scan with 'links to other Transports'? Do you mean I
>>> should select '--service-type all' to scan not only for TV?
>>>
>>> Do I manually have to switch between DVB-T and DVB-T2?
>>

>> I'm sorry it wasn't clear.  I don't have a 292e, but it seems that you
>> have found the device and have set up working Video sources and Input
>> connections.  I suppose it may be detectable as two devices, one for
>> DVB-T and one for DVB-T2, and perhaps you have enabled only the first.
>
> Since it's a 'tripleStick' it might appear as 3 adapters, although the
> linuxtv page shows only one.
>
> https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/PCTV_Systems_tripleStick_T2_(292e)
>
> Try 'dmesg | grep adapter' and/or 'dmesg | grep firmware'

I use two of the 292e triple sticks for UK freeview and they each just
present as a single video source and seem to switch happily between
DVB-T and DVB-T2. You need a fairly up to date kernel and I think I had
to get some specific firmware files to make it work properly but then it
just scanned HD and SD channels and worked without any problems in myth.

Current backend is Debian stretch running myth 0.28.

I think it needed dvb-demod-si2168-02.fw and dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw
putting in /lib/firmware (at least one of those may have not been in the
debian deb of firmware, can't remember but they're easy to find with
google if you need them).

Sadly the backend has been on too long to show you the dmesg line when
it last booted... but as I recall there's an obvious line asking for
those if it can't find them.

Stefan

Re: Correct setup? [ In reply to ]
On 14/01/18 11:33, Stefan Davids wrote:

> I use two of the 292e triple sticks for UK freeview and they each just
> present as a single video source and seem to switch happily between
> DVB-T and DVB-T2.  You need a fairly up to date kernel and I think I had
> to get some specific firmware files to make it work properly but then it
> just scanned HD and SD channels and worked without any problems in myth.
>
> Current backend is Debian stretch running myth 0.28.
>
> I think it needed dvb-demod-si2168-02.fw and dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw
> putting in /lib/firmware (at least one of those may have not been in the
> debian deb of firmware, can't remember but they're easy to find with
> google if you need them).
>
> Sadly the backend has been on too long to show you the dmesg line when
> it last booted... but as I recall there's an obvious line asking for
> those if it can't find them.
>
> Stefan

Thanks for coming in here. I'll opt out now - but should say that the
'link to other Transports' is an option in the Channel Scan menu, not in
the Transport Editor as I said earlier - and it's quite well buried.

John

Re: Correct setup? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jan 14, 2018 at 12:10:51AM +0000, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 13/01/18 22:29, Peter Carlsson wrote:

> > > I believe the 292e is fully supported now, but mythtvsetup has changed and
> > > releases differ. You should be able to set the frequency and DVB-T2 from
> > > the Transport Editor, and maybe do a scan with 'links to other Transports'
> > > set.
> > >
> > > That driver doesn't autoswitch between DVB-T and DVB-T2
> >
> > Thanks for the reply!
> >
> > I changed the frequency but it didn't find any HD channels anyway.
> >
> > How do I perform a scan with 'links to other Transports'? Do you mean I
> > should select '--service-type all' to scan not only for TV?
> >
> > Do I manually have to switch between DVB-T and DVB-T2?
>

> I'm sorry it wasn't clear. I don't have a 292e, but it seems that you have
> found the device and have set up working Video sources and Input
> connections. I suppose it may be detectable as two devices, one for DVB-T
> and one for DVB-T2, and perhaps you have enabled only the first.
>
> I would expect the default Full Scan to work, although it may find signals
> from several transmitters and lead to a need for editing. My suggestion
> about 'links for other Transports' can avoid that, but shouldn't be
> essential. It's found in the Transport Editor after several applications of
> the > > > key - and returns with <.
>
> I record a lot of radio programmes, but you may only want tv.
>
> Once you have it set up I don't think you have to switch manually.

Thanks for the answer!

Yes I have it working for all but HD channels. I used to have it working for
all including HD channels before but now it seems it can not find the HD
channels when scanning.

I was not aware of the 'links for other Transports' but it sounds like a
nice feature.

Best regards,
Peter Carlsson
Re: Correct setup? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jan 14, 2018 at 11:33:10AM +0000, Stefan Davids wrote:
> On 14/01/18 10:38, John Pilkington wrote:

> > > I'm sorry it wasn't clear.? I don't have a 292e, but it seems that
> > > you have found the device and have set up working Video sources and
> > > Input connections.? I suppose it may be detectable as two devices,
> > > one for DVB-T and one for DVB-T2, and perhaps you have enabled only
> > > the first.
> >
> > Since it's a 'tripleStick' it might appear as 3 adapters, although the
> > linuxtv page shows only one.
> >
> > https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/PCTV_Systems_tripleStick_T2_(292e)
> >
> > Try 'dmesg | grep adapter' and/or 'dmesg | grep firmware'
>
> I use two of the 292e triple sticks for UK freeview and they each just
> present as a single video source and seem to switch happily between DVB-T
> and DVB-T2. You need a fairly up to date kernel and I think I had to get
> some specific firmware files to make it work properly but then it just
> scanned HD and SD channels and worked without any problems in myth.
>
> Current backend is Debian stretch running myth 0.28.
>
> I think it needed dvb-demod-si2168-02.fw and dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw
> putting in /lib/firmware (at least one of those may have not been in the
> debian deb of firmware, can't remember but they're easy to find with google
> if you need them).
>
> Sadly the backend has been on too long to show you the dmesg line when it
> last booted... but as I recall there's an obvious line asking for those if
> it can't find them.

Thanks for the answer!

My backend is also Debian stretch but I am running MythTV 29.

I have these firmware files in /lib/firmware:
dvb-demod-si2168-01.fw
dvb-demod-si2168-02.fw
dvb-demod-si2168-a20-01.fw
dvb-demod-si2168-a30-01.fw
dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw
dvb-demod-si2168-d60-01.fw

It works fine for all except HD channels, which has worked before.

Best regards,
Peter Carlsson
Re: Correct setup? [ In reply to ]
On 15/01/18 21:15, Peter Carlsson wrote:

> Yes I have it working for all but HD channels. I used to have it working for
> all including HD channels before but now it seems it can not find the HD
> channels when scanning.
>
> I was not aware of the 'links for other Transports' but it sounds like a
> nice feature.

You said earlier that your HD mux frequency was 730000000 Hz. Do you
know whether that frequency is still the right one in your location? Is
it listed in the Transport editor? If not, and if nothing else has
changed at the transmitter, you ought to be able to define a New
Transport there, Frequency 730000000, DVB-T2, maybe 8 MHz BW and
QAM-256, (which are values used in the UK) Most of the other options
are probably ok as AUTO. Save and exit - ie, back to the Channel
Editor screen.

Then do a channel scan on just that Transport, choosing options that
seem sensible. Try the > and < keys. I try to avoid re-running
mythtvsetup if I have arrived at a good working system, so my
recollections of exactly what I have seen may be a little vague, but
backup and restore are available if you are nervous!

Good luck,

John

Re: Correct setup? [ In reply to ]
On 15/01/18 21:25, Peter Carlsson wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 14, 2018 at 11:33:10AM +0000, Stefan Davids wrote:
>> I use two of the 292e triple sticks for UK freeview and they each just
>> present as a single video source and seem to switch happily between DVB-T
>> and DVB-T2. You need a fairly up to date kernel and I think I had to get
>> some specific firmware files to make it work properly but then it just
>> scanned HD and SD channels and worked without any problems in myth.
>>
>> Current backend is Debian stretch running myth 0.28.
>>
>> I think it needed dvb-demod-si2168-02.fw and dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw
>> putting in /lib/firmware (at least one of those may have not been in the
>> debian deb of firmware, can't remember but they're easy to find with google
>> if you need them).
>>
>> Sadly the backend has been on too long to show you the dmesg line when it
>> last booted... but as I recall there's an obvious line asking for those if
>> it can't find them.
>
> Thanks for the answer!
>
> My backend is also Debian stretch but I am running MythTV 29.
>
> I have these firmware files in /lib/firmware:
> dvb-demod-si2168-01.fw
> dvb-demod-si2168-02.fw
> dvb-demod-si2168-a20-01.fw
> dvb-demod-si2168-a30-01.fw
> dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw
> dvb-demod-si2168-d60-01.fw
>
> It works fine for all except HD channels, which has worked before.

What is the output of "dmesg | grep si2168" from your last boot?

I know I tried with various (and no) firmwares when I was getting it to
work and not all of them had it as an HD tuner as well as SD. I get:

[ 47.737489] si2168 3-0064: Silicon Labs Si2168-B40 successfully
identified
[ 47.737491] si2168 3-0064: firmware version: B 4.0.2
[ 82.091027] si2168 3-0064: firmware: direct-loading firmware
dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw
[ 82.091035] si2168 3-0064: downloading firmware from file
'dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw'
[ 82.597735] si2168 3-0064: firmware version: B 4.0.25
[ 82.653188] si2168 3-0064: firmware: direct-loading firmware
dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw
[ 82.653191] si2168 3-0064: downloading firmware from file
'dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw'
[ 83.145231] si2168 3-0064: firmware version: B 4.0.25
[ 83.174837] si2168 3-0064: firmware: direct-loading firmware
dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw
[ 83.174838] si2168 3-0064: downloading firmware from file
'dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw'
[ 83.644956] si2168 3-0064: firmware version: B 4.0.25

If it's using something other than b40 try deleting it and see if it
works again (or just delete all the ones other than the two I mentioned).

After that delete all tuners (not just all on host) and do a scan of all
channels in mythsetup and see if it picks up HD.

The main issue I have with it is I can't remove it from the USB port
without freezing the computer so the support isn't perfect...! But they
seem fine just leaving them alone.

Stefan

Re: Correct setup? [ In reply to ]
On 16/01/18 07:45, Stefan Davids wrote:
> On 15/01/18 21:25, Peter Carlsson wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 14, 2018 at 11:33:10AM +0000, Stefan Davids wrote:
>>> I use two of the 292e triple sticks for UK freeview and they each just
>>> present as a single video source and seem to switch happily between
>>> DVB-T
>>> and DVB-T2.  You need a fairly up to date kernel and I think I had to
>>> get
>>> some specific firmware files to make it work properly but then it just
>>> scanned HD and SD channels and worked without any problems in myth.
>>>
>>> Current backend is Debian stretch running myth 0.28.
>>>
>>> I think it needed dvb-demod-si2168-02.fw and dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw
>>> putting in /lib/firmware (at least one of those may have not been in the
>>> debian deb of firmware, can't remember but they're easy to find with
>>> google
>>> if you need them).
>>>
>>> Sadly the backend has been on too long to show you the dmesg line
>>> when it
>>> last booted... but as I recall there's an obvious line asking for
>>> those if
>>> it can't find them.
>>
>> Thanks for the answer!
>>
>> My backend is also Debian stretch but I am running MythTV 29.
>>
>> I have these firmware files in /lib/firmware:
>>   dvb-demod-si2168-01.fw
>>   dvb-demod-si2168-02.fw
>>   dvb-demod-si2168-a20-01.fw
>>   dvb-demod-si2168-a30-01.fw
>>   dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw
>>   dvb-demod-si2168-d60-01.fw
>>
>> It works fine for all except HD channels, which has worked before.

> If it's using something other than b40 try deleting it and see if it
> works again (or just delete all the ones other than the two I mentioned).
>
> After that delete all tuners (not just all on host) and do a scan of all
> channels in mythsetup and see if it picks up HD.
>
> The main issue I have with it is I can't remove it from the USB port
> without freezing the computer so the support isn't perfect...!  But they
> seem fine just leaving them alone.

I should add there are many versions of dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw about
which is an added confusion and you will probably need to upgrade that
now it's properly supported. I got mine from
http://palosaari.fi/linux/v4l-dvb/firmware/Si2168/Si2168-B40/ and just
used the latest version ie 4.0.25. Earlier versions might not do HD
too. My checksum:

soup-dragon% md5sum /lib/firmware/dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw
c8e089c351e9834060e962356f8697b8 /lib/firmware/dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw

Make sure you check the dmesg output for what version of firmware it is

Stefan
Re: Correct setup? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 07:45:50AM +0000, Stefan Davids wrote:
> [...]
> dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw
> [ 82.653191] si2168 3-0064: downloading firmware from file
> 'dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw'
> [ 83.145231] si2168 3-0064: firmware version: B 4.0.25
> [ 83.174837] si2168 3-0064: firmware: direct-loading firmware
> dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw
> [ 83.174838] si2168 3-0064: downloading firmware from file
> 'dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw'
> [ 83.644956] si2168 3-0064: firmware version: B 4.0.25
>
> If it's using something other than b40 try deleting it and see if it works
> again (or just delete all the ones other than the two I mentioned).
>
> After that delete all tuners (not just all on host) and do a scan of all
> channels in mythsetup and see if it picks up HD.
>
> The main issue I have with it is I can't remove it from the USB port without
> freezing the computer so the support isn't perfect...! But they seem fine

In my dmesg I get:

[ 7.581993] si2168 11-0064: Silicon Labs Si2168-B40 successfully identified
[ 7.581997] si2168 11-0064: firmware version: B 4.0.2
[ 19.780406] si2168 11-0064: firmware: direct-loading firmware dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw
[ 19.780409] si2168 11-0064: downloading firmware from file 'dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw'
[ 20.372170] si2168 11-0064: firmware version: B 4.0.4

Apperently I need to get a newer version.

Best regards,
Peter Carlsson
Re: Correct setup? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 08:36:55AM +0000, Stefan Davids wrote:
> On 16/01/18 07:45, Stefan Davids wrote:

> > > Thanks for the answer!
> > >
> > > My backend is also Debian stretch but I am running MythTV 29.
> > >
> > > I have these firmware files in /lib/firmware:
> > > ? dvb-demod-si2168-01.fw
> > > ? dvb-demod-si2168-02.fw
> > > ? dvb-demod-si2168-a20-01.fw
> > > ? dvb-demod-si2168-a30-01.fw
> > > ? dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw
> > > ? dvb-demod-si2168-d60-01.fw
> > >
> > > It works fine for all except HD channels, which has worked before.
>
> > If it's using something other than b40 try deleting it and see if it
> > works again (or just delete all the ones other than the two I
> > mentioned).
> >
> > After that delete all tuners (not just all on host) and do a scan of all
> > channels in mythsetup and see if it picks up HD.
> >
> > The main issue I have with it is I can't remove it from the USB port
> > without freezing the computer so the support isn't perfect...!? But they
> > seem fine just leaving them alone.
>
> I should add there are many versions of dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw about
> which is an added confusion and you will probably need to upgrade that now
> it's properly supported. I got mine from
> http://palosaari.fi/linux/v4l-dvb/firmware/Si2168/Si2168-B40/ and just used
> the latest version ie 4.0.25. Earlier versions might not do HD too. My
> checksum:
>
> soup-dragon% md5sum /lib/firmware/dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw
> c8e089c351e9834060e962356f8697b8 /lib/firmware/dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw
>
> Make sure you check the dmesg output for what version of firmware it is

Hello!

I have now downloaded the latest (same md5sum as you have) version and will
see if I have any more success on next boot.

Yes, it's very confusing with several versions. I thought the filename
included the version in some way.

Thanks for the help!

Best regards,
Peter Carlsson
Re: Correct setup? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 10:32:25PM +0000, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 15/01/18 21:15, Peter Carlsson wrote:
>

> > Yes I have it working for all but HD channels. I used to have it working for
> > all including HD channels before but now it seems it can not find the HD
> > channels when scanning.
> >
> > I was not aware of the 'links for other Transports' but it sounds like a
> > nice feature.
>
> You said earlier that your HD mux frequency was 730000000 Hz. Do you know
> whether that frequency is still the right one in your location? Is it
> listed in the Transport editor? If not, and if nothing else has changed at
> the transmitter, you ought to be able to define a New Transport there,
> Frequency 730000000, DVB-T2, maybe 8 MHz BW and QAM-256, (which are values
> used in the UK) Most of the other options are probably ok as AUTO. Save
> and exit - ie, back to the Channel Editor screen.
>
> Then do a channel scan on just that Transport, choosing options that seem
> sensible. Try the > and < keys. I try to avoid re-running mythtvsetup if I
> have arrived at a good working system, so my recollections of exactly what I
> have seen may be a little vague, but backup and restore are available if you
> are nervous!

Thank you for your suggestion. Looks like you were right.

The frequency was not 730000000 as I thought. Don't know if it has
changed or if it was my notes from previous scans that was wrong.

Anyhow, it looks like it picked up the HD channels and I only have
to clean up my channel list.

Best regards,
Peter Carlsson
Re: Correct setup? [ In reply to ]
On 17/01/18 10:05, Peter Carlsson wrote:

> Thank you for your suggestion. Looks like you were right.
>
> The frequency was not 730000000 as I thought. Don't know if it has
> changed or if it was my notes from previous scans that was wrong.
>
> Anyhow, it looks like it picked up the HD channels and I only have
> to clean up my channel list.
>
> Best regards,
> Peter Carlsson

Good. I'm glad it's working now. But it seems the real problem was a
firmware/driver mismatch for your pctv 292e device. I suppose that is
suggested in the linuxtv notes, but they tend to get out of date.

I hope you enjoy the extra pixels. I don't use them very often. :-)

John

Re: Correct setup? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 11:00:59AM +0000, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 17/01/18 10:05, Peter Carlsson wrote:
>

> > Thank you for your suggestion. Looks like you were right.
> >
> > The frequency was not 730000000 as I thought. Don't know if it has
> > changed or if it was my notes from previous scans that was wrong.
> >
> > Anyhow, it looks like it picked up the HD channels and I only have
> > to clean up my channel list.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Peter Carlsson
>
> Good. I'm glad it's working now. But it seems the real problem was a
> firmware/driver mismatch for your pctv 292e device. I suppose that is
> suggested in the linuxtv notes, but they tend to get out of date.
>
> I hope you enjoy the extra pixels. I don't use them very often. :-)

Yes, maybe it was a firmware/driver issue but it has worked with HD
before with the old firmware/driver.

I've got used to HD so I prefer not to go back to SD.

Best regards,
Peter Carlsson
Re: Correct setup? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 12:54:18PM +0100, Peter Carlsson wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 11:00:59AM +0000, John Pilkington wrote:
> > On 17/01/18 10:05, Peter Carlsson wrote:
> >

> > > Thank you for your suggestion. Looks like you were right.
> > >
> > > The frequency was not 730000000 as I thought. Don't know if it has
> > > changed or if it was my notes from previous scans that was wrong.
> > >
> > > Anyhow, it looks like it picked up the HD channels and I only have
> > > to clean up my channel list.
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Peter Carlsson
> >
> > Good. I'm glad it's working now. But it seems the real problem was a
> > firmware/driver mismatch for your pctv 292e device. I suppose that is
> > suggested in the linuxtv notes, but they tend to get out of date.
> >
> > I hope you enjoy the extra pixels. I don't use them very often. :-)
>
> Yes, maybe it was a firmware/driver issue but it has worked with HD
> before with the old firmware/driver.
>
> I've got used to HD so I prefer not to go back to SD.

Unfortunately I have to pick up this thread again since I never fully
got it working.

The problems that still remains are:
- Even though I have 2 different capture cards (Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T
500 and pctv tripleStick 292e) with a total of 3 adapters it doesn't
record simultaneous recordings. It always reschedule shows to record
one at a time. I have set the maximum number of simultaneous recordings
to 2 for each device.

- I still have trouble finding the HD channels and a few times I
succeded but I then failed to get a lock on any HD channel.

And here are some questions:
- Can/should I remove the entries in the dtv_multiplex table and where/how
is that done from within mythtv-setup?

- Will the dtv_multiplex table be updated on next full channel scan?

- Should I do a full channel scan for each /dev/dvb/adapterX/frontendY
(in total 6) or is it sufficient to a full channel scan for each video
source?

Re: Correct setup? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 22:46:36 +0100, you wrote:

>On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 12:54:18PM +0100, Peter Carlsson wrote:

>> > Good. I'm glad it's working now. But it seems the real problem was a
>> > firmware/driver mismatch for your pctv 292e device. I suppose that is
>> > suggested in the linuxtv notes, but they tend to get out of date.
>> >
>> > I hope you enjoy the extra pixels. I don't use them very often. :-)
>>
>> Yes, maybe it was a firmware/driver issue but it has worked with HD
>> before with the old firmware/driver.
>>
>> I've got used to HD so I prefer not to go back to SD.
>
>Unfortunately I have to pick up this thread again since I never fully
>got it working.
>
>The problems that still remains are:
>- Even though I have 2 different capture cards (Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T
> 500 and pctv tripleStick 292e) with a total of 3 adapters it doesn't
> record simultaneous recordings. It always reschedule shows to record
> one at a time. I have set the maximum number of simultaneous recordings
> to 2 for each device.
>
>- I still have trouble finding the HD channels and a few times I
> succeded but I then failed to get a lock on any HD channel.
>
>And here are some questions:
>- Can/should I remove the entries in the dtv_multiplex table and where/how
> is that done from within mythtv-setup?
>
>- Will the dtv_multiplex table be updated on next full channel scan?
>
>- Should I do a full channel scan for each /dev/dvb/adapterX/frontendY
> (in total 6) or is it sufficient to a full channel scan for each video
> source?
>
>Any help would be appreciated!
>
>Best regards,
>Peter Carlsson

Manual adjustment of the database is not recommended - it should work
properly if you set things up from mythtv-setup, having first done
Video sources > Delete all video sources, which clears the tuning
database completely. You only need to do a scan once per video
source. But doing extra scans should not hurt, as they should give
exactly the same channels.

You might like show us your capturecard and dtv_multiplex tables and a
selection of your channel table to let us see what might be wrong.
Here are some examples from my database, to give you something to
compare to. I have only dumped the sourceid=1 channels, as they are
my DVB-T ones. My DVB-T tuners are from my new TBS 6209 8-tuner
DVB-T2 card, but we only have DVB-T channels transmitted here in New
Zealand, no DVB-T2. I have 5 multirec tuners per physical tuner.

MariaDB [mythconverg]> select
cardid,parentid,videodevice,cardtype,defaultinput,inputname,displayname,sourceid,startchan
from capturecard order by sourceid,videodevice,cardid;
+--------+----------+-------------------------------------------+----------+--------------+-----------+---------------------------+----------+-----------+
| cardid | parentid | videodevice | cardtype | defaultinput | inputname | displayname | sourceid | startchan |
+--------+----------+-------------------------------------------+----------+--------------+-----------+---------------------------+----------+-----------+
| 1 | 0 | /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 | DVB | DVBInput | DVBInput | DVB-T 1.1 (1) | 1 | 1 |
| 2 | 1 | /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 | DVB | DVBInput | DVBInput | DVB-T 1.2 (2) | 1 | 1 |
| 3 | 1 | /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 | DVB | DVBInput | DVBInput | DVB-T 1.3 (3) | 1 | 1 |
| 4 | 1 | /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 | DVB | DVBInput | DVBInput | DVB-T 1.4 (4) | 1 | 1 |
| 5 | 1 | /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 | DVB | DVBInput | DVBInput | DVB-T 1.5 (5) | 1 | 1 |
| 6 | 0 | /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0 | DVB | DVBInput | DVBInput | DVB-T 2.1 (6) | 1 | 3 |
| 7 | 6 | /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0 | DVB | DVBInput | DVBInput | DVB-T 2.2 (7) | 1 | 12 |
| 8 | 6 | /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0 | DVB | DVBInput | DVBInput | DVB-T 2.3 (8) | 1 | 12 |
| 9 | 6 | /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0 | DVB | DVBInput | DVBInput | DVB-T 2.4 (9) | 1 | 12 |
| 10 | 6 | /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0 | DVB | DVBInput | DVBInput | DVB-T 2.5 (10) | 1 | 12 |
| 11 | 0 | /dev/dvb/adapter2/frontend0 | DVB | DVBInput | DVBInput | DVB-T 3.1 (11) | 1 | 12 |
| 12 | 11 | /dev/dvb/adapter2/frontend0 | DVB | DVBInput | DVBInput | DVB-T 3.2 (12) | 1 | 1 |
| 13 | 11 | /dev/dvb/adapter2/frontend0 | DVB | DVBInput | DVBInput | DVB-T 3.3 (13) | 1 | 3 |
| 14 | 11 | /dev/dvb/adapter2/frontend0 | DVB | DVBInput | DVBInput | DVB-T 3.4 (14) | 1 | 3 |
| 15 | 11 | /dev/dvb/adapter2/frontend0 | DVB | DVBInput | DVBInput | DVB-T 3.5 (15) | 1 | 3 |
| 16 | 0 | /dev/dvb/adapter3/frontend0 | DVB | DVBInput | DVBInput | DVB-T 4.1 (16) | 1 | 5 |
| 17 | 16 | /dev/dvb/adapter3/frontend0 | DVB | DVBInput | DVBInput | DVB-T 4.2 (17) | 1 | 5 |
| 18 | 16 | /dev/dvb/adapter3/frontend0 | DVB | DVBInput | DVBInput | DVB-T 4.3 (18) | 1 | 1 |
| 19 | 16 | /dev/dvb/adapter3/frontend0 | DVB | DVBInput | DVBInput | DVB-T 4.4 (19) | 1 | 5 |
| 20 | 16 | /dev/dvb/adapter3/frontend0 | DVB | DVBInput | DVBInput | DVB-T 4.5 (20) | 1 | 5 |
| 21 | 0 | /dev/dvb/adapter4/frontend0 | DVB | DVBInput | DVBInput | DVB-T 5.1 (21) | 1 | 5 |
| 22 | 21 | /dev/dvb/adapter4/frontend0 | DVB | DVBInput | DVBInput | DVB-T 5.2 (22) | 1 | 5 |
| 23 | 21 | /dev/dvb/adapter4/frontend0 | DVB | DVBInput | DVBInput | DVB-T 5.3 (23) | 1 | 5 |
| 24 | 21 | /dev/dvb/adapter4/frontend0 | DVB | DVBInput | DVBInput | DVB-T 5.4 (24) | 1 | 5 |
| 25 | 21 | /dev/dvb/adapter4/frontend0 | DVB | DVBInput | DVBInput | DVB-T 5.5 (25) | 1 | 5 |
| 27 | 0 | /dev/dvb/adapter5/frontend0 | DVB | DVBInput | DVBInput | QBox2 sasc-ng.1 (27) | 4 | 4089 |
| 28 | 27 | /dev/dvb/adapter5/frontend0 | DVB | DVBInput | DVBInput | QBox2 sasc-ng.2 (28) | 4 | 4089 |
| 29 | 27 | /dev/dvb/adapter5/frontend0 | DVB | DVBInput | DVBInput | QBox2 sasc-ng.3 (29) | 4 | 4089 |
| 30 | 27 | /dev/dvb/adapter5/frontend0 | DVB | DVBInput | DVBInput | QBox2 sasc-ng.4 (30) | 4 | 4089 |
| 31 | 27 | /dev/dvb/adapter5/frontend0 | DVB | DVBInput | DVBInput | QBox2 sasc-ng.5 (31) | 4 | 4089 |
| 32 | 0 | /dev/dvb/adapter6/frontend0 | DVB | DVBInput | DVBInput | TeVii S470 sasc-ng.1 (32) | 4 | 4070 |
| 33 | 32 | /dev/dvb/adapter6/frontend0 | DVB | DVBInput | DVBInput | TeVii S470 sasc-ng.2 (33) | 4 | 4074 |
| 34 | 32 | /dev/dvb/adapter6/frontend0 | DVB | DVBInput | DVBInput | TeVii S470 sasc-ng.3 (34) | 4 | 4074 |
| 35 | 32 | /dev/dvb/adapter6/frontend0 | DVB | DVBInput | DVBInput | TeVii S470 sasc-ng.4 (35) | 4 | 4074 |
| 36 | 32 | /dev/dvb/adapter6/frontend0 | DVB | DVBInput | DVBInput | TeVii S470 sasc-ng.5 (36) | 4 | 4074 |
| 90 | 0 | http://satip.jsw.gen.nz:8080/playlist.m3u | FREEBOX | Television | MPEG2TS | SAT>IP 1.1 (90) | 6 | 4089 |
| 91 | 90 | http://satip.jsw.gen.nz:8080/playlist.m3u | FREEBOX | Television | MPEG2TS | SAT>IP 1.2 (91) | 6 | 4074 |
| 92 | 0 | http://satip.jsw.gen.nz:8080/playlist.m3u | FREEBOX | Television | MPEG2TS | SAT>IP 2.1 (92) | 6 | 4005 |
| 93 | 92 | http://satip.jsw.gen.nz:8080/playlist.m3u | FREEBOX | Television | MPEG2TS | SAT>IP 2.2 (93) | 6 | 4005 |
| 94 | 0 | http://satip.jsw.gen.nz:8080/playlist.m3u | FREEBOX | Television | MPEG2TS | SAT>IP 3.1 (94) | 6 | 4017 |
| 95 | 94 | http://satip.jsw.gen.nz:8080/playlist.m3u | FREEBOX | Television | MPEG2TS | SAT>IP 3.2 (95) | 6 | 4073 |
| 96 | 0 | http://satip.jsw.gen.nz:8080/playlist.m3u | FREEBOX | Television | MPEG2TS | SAT>IP 4.1 (96) | 6 | 4007 |
| 97 | 96 | http://satip.jsw.gen.nz:8080/playlist.m3u | FREEBOX | Television | MPEG2TS | SAT>IP 4.2 (97) | 6 | 4089 |
| 98 | 0 | http://satip.jsw.gen.nz:8080/playlist.m3u | FREEBOX | Television | MPEG2TS | SAT>IP 5.1 (98) | 6 | 4011 |
| 99 | 98 | http://satip.jsw.gen.nz:8080/playlist.m3u | FREEBOX | Television | MPEG2TS | SAT>IP 5.2 (99) | 6 | 4005 |
+--------+----------+-------------------------------------------+----------+--------------+-----------+---------------------------+----------+-----------+
45 rows in set (0.01 sec)

MariaDB [mythconverg]> select
mplexid,sourceid,transportid,networkid,frequency,symbolrate,polarity,modulation,mod_sys,sistandard,serviceversion
from dtv_multiplex order by sourceid,mplexid;
+---------+----------+-------------+-----------+-----------+------------+----------+------------+-----------+------------+----------------+
| mplexid | sourceid | transportid | networkid | frequency | symbolrate | polarity | modulation | mod_sys | sistandard | serviceversion |
+---------+----------+-------------+-----------+-----------+------------+----------+------------+-----------+------------+----------------+
| 1 | 1 | 34 | 8746 | 530000000 | 0 | v | qam_64 | UNDEFINED | dvb | 33 |
| 2 | 1 | 27 | 8746 | 578000000 | 0 | v | qam_64 | UNDEFINED | dvb | 33 |
| 3 | 1 | 29 | 8746 | 562000000 | 0 | v | qam_64 | UNDEFINED | dvb | 33 |
| 4 | 1 | 33 | 8746 | 594000000 | 0 | v | qam_64 | UNDEFINED | dvb | 33 |
| 21 | 1 | 35 | 8746 | 610000000 | 0 | v | qam_64 | UNDEFINED | dvb | 33 |
| 5 | 3 | 21 | 47 | 12456000 | 22500000 | h | qpsk | DVB-S | dvb | 9 |
| 6 | 3 | 22 | 47 | 12483000 | 22500000 | h | qpsk | DVB-S | dvb | 7 |
| 7 | 4 | 1 | 169 | 12581000 | 22500000 | h | qpsk | DVB-S | dvb | 9 |
| 8 | 4 | 2 | 169 | 12608000 | 22500000 | h | qpsk | DVB-S | dvb | 9 |
| 9 | 4 | 3 | 169 | 12519000 | 22500000 | h | qpsk | DVB-S | dvb | 9 |
| 10 | 4 | 4 | 169 | 12546000 | 22500000 | h | qpsk | DVB-S | dvb | 9 |
| 11 | 4 | 5 | 169 | 12644000 | 22500000 | h | qpsk | DVB-S | dvb | 9 |
| 12 | 4 | 6 | 169 | 12671000 | 22500000 | h | qpsk | DVB-S | dvb | 9 |
| 13 | 4 | 7 | 169 | 12331000 | 22500000 | h | qpsk | DVB-S | dvb | 9 |
| 14 | 4 | 8 | 169 | 12358000 | 22500000 | h | qpsk | DVB-S | dvb | 9 |
| 15 | 4 | 9 | 169 | 12267000 | 22500000 | h | qpsk | DVB-S | dvb | 9 |
| 16 | 4 | 10 | 169 | 12295000 | 22500000 | h | qpsk | DVB-S | dvb | 9 |
| 17 | 4 | 11 | 169 | 12707000 | 22500000 | h | qpsk | DVB-S | dvb | 9 |
| 18 | 4 | 12 | 169 | 12734000 | 22500000 | h | qpsk | DVB-S | dvb | 9 |
| 19 | 4 | 13 | 169 | 12394000 | 22500000 | h | qpsk | DVB-S | dvb | 9 |
| 20 | 4 | 14 | 169 | 12421000 | 22500000 | h | qpsk | DVB-S | dvb | 9 |
+---------+----------+-------------+-----------+-----------+------------+----------+------------+-----------+------------+----------------+
21 rows in set (0.00 sec)

MariaDB [mythconverg]> select
chanid,channum,sourceid,callsign,name,xmltvid,tvformat,outputfilters,mplexid,serviceid
from channel where sourceid=1 order by channum+0;
+--------+---------+----------+--------------+-------------------+-------------------------------------+----------+---------------+---------+-----------+
| chanid | channum | sourceid | callsign | name | xmltvid | tvformat | outputfilters | mplexid | serviceid |
+--------+---------+----------+--------------+-------------------+-------------------------------------+----------+---------------+---------+-----------+
| 1001 | 1 | 1 | TV ONE | TVNZ 1 | tv1.freeviewnz.tv | Default | | 2 | 1200 |
| 1002 | 2 | 1 | TV2 | TVNZ 2 | tv2.freeviewnz.tv | Default | | 2 | 1201 |
| 1003 | 3 | 1 | TV3 | Three | tv3.freeviewnz.tv | Default | | 3 | 1300 |
| 1004 | 4 | 1 | Bravo | Bravo | bravo.freeviewnz.tv | Default | | 3 | 1307 |
| 1005 | 5 | 1 | Maori TV | Maori Television | maori-tv.freeviewnz.tv | Default | | 21 | 1600 |
| 1006 | 6 | 1 | TVONE PLUS1 | TVNZ 1 +1 | tv1-plus1.freeviewnz.tv | Default | | 2 | 1206 |
| 1007 | 7 | 1 | TV2+1 | TVNZ 2 +1 | tv2-plus1.freeviewnz.tv | Default | | 2 | 1207 |
| 1008 | 8 | 1 | TV3 PLUS1 | ThreePlus1 | tv3-plus1.freeviewnz.tv | Default | | 3 | 1302 |
| 1009 | 9 | 1 | Bravo+1 | Bravo PLUS 1 | bravo-plus1.freeviewnz.tv | Default | | 3 | 1308 |
| 1010 | 10 | 1 | PRIME | PRIME | prime.freeviewnz.tv | Default | | 4 | 1404 |
| 1011 | 11 | 1 | TheEdgeTV | The Edge TV | edge-tv.freeviewnz.tv | Default | | 3 | 1305 |
| 1012 | 12 | 1 | ChoiceTV | Choice TV | choice.freeviewnz.tv | Default | | 4 | 1407 |
| 1013 | 13 | 1 | Duke | Duke | duke.freeviewnz.tv | Default | | 2 | 1205 |
| 1015 | 15 | 1 | Te Reo | Te Reo | te-reo.freeviewnz.tv | Default | | 21 | 1601 |
| 1016 | 16 | 1 | ALJAZEERA | Al Jazeera | aljazeera.freeviewnz.tv | Default | | 1 | 1502 |
| 1017 | 17 | 1 | HGTV | HGTV | hgtv.freeviewnz.tv | Default | | 1 | 1508 |
| 1020 | 20 | 1 | TVSN | TVSN Shopping | tvsn-shopping-channel.freeviewnz.tv | Default | | 1 | 1504 |
| 1021 | 21 | 1 | Shine | Shine TV | shine.freeviewnz.tv | Default | | 1 | 1503 |
| 1024 | 24 | 1 | Te Reo | Te Reo | te-reo.freeviewnz.tv | Default | | 21 | 1601 |
| 1022 | 25 | 1 | Parlmnt | Parliament TV | parliament.freeviewnz.tv | Default | | 4 | 1401 |
| 1026 | 26 | 1 | Firstlight | Firstlight | firstlight.freeviewnz.tv | Default | | 4 | 1414 |
| 1027 | 27 | 1 | Hope | Hope Channel | hope-channel.freeviewnz.tv | Default | | 1 | 1506 |
| 1028 | 28 | 1 | ChineseTV | ChineseTV | chinese-tv8.freeviewnz.tv | Default | | 4 | 1403 |
| 1029 | 29 | 1 | TV29 | TV29 | tv29.freeviewnz.tv | Default | | 1 | 1505 |
| 1030 | 30 | 1 | FashionTV | Fashion TV | fashiontv.freeviewnz.tv | Default | | 4 | 1422 |
| 1033 | 33 | 1 | TV33 | TV33 | tv33.freeviewnz.tv | Default | | 4 | 1405 |
| 1036 | 36 | 1 | Apna | Apna Television | apna.freeviewnz.tv | Default | | 1 | 1501 |
| 1050 | 50 | 1 | RNZ National | Radio NZ National | rnz-national.freeviewnz.tv | Default | | 1 | 1507 |
| 1051 | 51 | 1 | RNZ Concert | Radio NZ Concert | rnz-concert.freeviewnz.tv | Default | | 4 | 2001 |
| 1071 | 71 | 1 | BaseFM | BaseFM | basefm.freeviewnz.tv | Default | | 4 | 2002 |
| 1107 | 107 | 1 | TVNZ 7 | TVNZ 7 | tvnz7.freeviewnz.tv | Default | | 2 | 1203 |
Re: Correct setup? [ In reply to ]
On 20/02/18 21:46, Peter Carlsson wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 12:54:18PM +0100, Peter Carlsson wrote:

>>> Good. I'm glad it's working now. But it seems the real problem was a
>>> firmware/driver mismatch for your pctv 292e device. I suppose that is
>>> suggested in the linuxtv notes, but they tend to get out of date.
>>>
>>> I hope you enjoy the extra pixels. I don't use them very often. :-)
>>
>> Yes, maybe it was a firmware/driver issue but it has worked with HD
>> before with the old firmware/driver.
>>
>> I've got used to HD so I prefer not to go back to SD.
>
> Unfortunately I have to pick up this thread again since I never fully
> got it working.
>
> The problems that still remains are:
> - Even though I have 2 different capture cards (Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T
> 500 and pctv tripleStick 292e) with a total of 3 adapters it doesn't
> record simultaneous recordings. It always reschedule shows to record
> one at a time. I have set the maximum number of simultaneous recordings
> to 2 for each device.

This certainly works for me. I have my two 292e's with 4 maximum
simultaneous recordings each and it has no problems when it can do it.
I presume you've checked the things you want to record simultaneously
really are on the same multiplex?

I'd echo what Stephen Worthington said; make sure you delete and
recreate the video sources so mythtv gets to create the entries for it
itself. Worth doing the tuners too if you haven't already. At least
then it's all a known clean starting point.

If you want my database entries for comparison let me know and I can
email you.

> - I still have trouble finding the HD channels and a few times I
> succeded but I then failed to get a lock on any HD channel.

Could be a reception issue? Do you have a TV with an HD tuner or
something else to test with? Or try the 292e on a windows machine for
comparison? I don't think the Linux driver has the signal strength
reader working.

If you can get it to work once then it feels more like a reception
issue; finding the channel in channel scan and then failing to tune to
it is the typical failure mode I get when atmospherics affect the
more marginal multiplexes I get. I've also had to be very careful about
the quality of the signal splitters I've used.

Good luck

Stefan