Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 12:30 PM, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Mine is also from Newegg and is out of stock. I ordered it at least 4
>> years ago.
>>
>> https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880121003
>>
>> The remote itself has some bad buttons now and I use a Harmony remote
>> instead. The receiver keeps on going and I've never had an issue with it.
>> Newegg has similar items listed from that link -- maybe they have one that
>> will work for you.
>>
>> I've had issues keeping LIRC running when there's an update but it's never
>> been because of the receiver, and it's just taken a configuration tweak. I
>> use a slightly modified .lircrc that I got from the Mythdora days.
>> Everything just works and I have no lag that I can notice.
>>
>> I don't do any IR blasting so if you need that, I guess you'll need
>> something like the Iguana.
>>
> Yep - that's the same one I have. The remotes definitely need help, but I
> have never used one. The receivers have never failed me once though.. I
> have another that plugs directly into the USB port, but it is a little more
> painful since you need fron side USB ports for it to catch IR (or an
> extender cable), but it has never failed me either - I cannot find where I
> bought it though.

Thanks! I'm having a hard time determining what the actual receiver
looks like in any of those links. Maybe I'm missing something there.
Does it look anything like this?:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-IR-REMOTE-RECEIVER-FOR-HP-5187-4593-RC6-MCE-MCE2005-US-Seller/222771294573

By the way, the rc1 vs rc6 thing doesn't mean anything. Those are
arbitrary rc device numbers that depend on what devices you happen to
have. For example I have rc0 which happens to be the serial IR device.

Thanks!
Tom
Re: Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 1:11 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 12:30 PM, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Mine is also from Newegg and is out of stock. I ordered it at least 4
> >> years ago.
> >>
> >> https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880121003
> >>
> >> The remote itself has some bad buttons now and I use a Harmony remote
> >> instead. The receiver keeps on going and I've never had an issue with
> it.
> >> Newegg has similar items listed from that link -- maybe they have one
> that
> >> will work for you.
> >>
> >> I've had issues keeping LIRC running when there's an update but it's
> never
> >> been because of the receiver, and it's just taken a configuration
> tweak. I
> >> use a slightly modified .lircrc that I got from the Mythdora days.
> >> Everything just works and I have no lag that I can notice.
> >>
> >> I don't do any IR blasting so if you need that, I guess you'll need
> >> something like the Iguana.
> >>
> > Yep - that's the same one I have. The remotes definitely need help, but
> > have never used one. The receivers have never failed me once though.. I
> > have another that plugs directly into the USB port, but it is a little
> more
> > painful since you need fron side USB ports for it to catch IR (or an
> > extender cable), but it has never failed me either - I cannot find where
> > bought it though.
> >

> Thanks! I'm having a hard time determining what the actual receiver
> looks like in any of those links. Maybe I'm missing something there.
> Does it look anything like this?:
>
> https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-IR-REMOTE-RECEIVER-FOR-HP-5
> 187-4593-RC6-MCE-MCE2005-US-Seller/222771294573
>
> By the way, the rc1 vs rc6 thing doesn't mean anything. Those are
> arbitrary rc device numbers that depend on what devices you happen to
> have. For example I have rc0 which happens to be the serial IR device.

This is a total guess, but mine looks more like this one: rectangular and
black. Here's the Amazon link:

http://a.co/1iJsJF2

The vendor here says it will work with the whole gamut of media players.
Since it's Amazon, you can send it back if it doesn't work with no
hassles. At least I've never paid for return shipping. You might need a
trip to the UPS store though.

Mind you, this is a guess.
Re: Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 3:14 PM, Jerry <mythtv@hambone.e4ward.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 1:11 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> > Yep - that's the same one I have. The remotes definitely need help, but
>> > have never used one. The receivers have never failed me once though..
>> > have another that plugs directly into the USB port, but it is a little
>> > more
>> > painful since you need fron side USB ports for it to catch IR (or an
>> > extender cable), but it has never failed me either - I cannot find where
>> > bought it though.
>> >

>> Thanks! I'm having a hard time determining what the actual receiver
>> looks like in any of those links. Maybe I'm missing something there.
>> Does it look anything like this?:
>>

>> https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-IR-REMOTE-RECEIVER-FOR-HP-5187-4593-RC6-MCE-MCE2005-US-Seller/222771294573
>>
>> By the way, the rc1 vs rc6 thing doesn't mean anything. Those are
>> arbitrary rc device numbers that depend on what devices you happen to
>> have. For example I have rc0 which happens to be the serial IR device.
>>

> This is a total guess, but mine looks more like this one: rectangular and
> black. Here's the Amazon link:
>
> http://a.co/1iJsJF2
>
> The vendor here says it will work with the whole gamut of media players.
> Since it's Amazon, you can send it back if it doesn't work with no hassles.
> At least I've never paid for return shipping. You might need a trip to the
> UPS store though.
>
> Mind you, this is a guess.

Thanks! You know, reading that I'm noticing something I hadn't noticed
before. That is that a lot of these MCE receivers, including that one,
expressly say that they're for the RC6 protocol, which is sort of odd
to me. A receiver should in theory be able to pick up an IR signal
regardless of the protocol, which is handled by the kernel driver. My
TIVO34 remote uses the NEC protocol. Again, the MCE that I have does
in fact work with that, though not reliably. Maybe the MCE receivers
just aren't reliable when using other protocols.

Tom
Re: Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 8:00 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com> wrote:

> Wow I don't know what it is with me an IR receivers but this one just
> keeps getting worse.
>
> I verified for sure that I have the Iguanaworks "socket receiver"
> which is intended to have a wired receiver plugged into the 1/8 jack
> farthest from the USB plug. I bought a wired receiver on ebay that
> took a month and a half to arrive from China and it didn't work...not
> even testing with the Windows igclient. It behaved just like it did
> when I was trying to use it without a receiver. At that point I
> assumed that the wired receiver may have been wired differently (the
> support folks at Iguanaworks mentioned that that was a 50/50 shot), so
> I ordered a wired receiver from Iganaworks. I got that today and STILL
> no luck at all. I even have two of the USB units still (as I was
> shipped a second from the ebay seller) and no luck with either one.
>
> Tom

OMG...I don't believe it. I got the iguana to work. They totally redid
their site and I can't even find the page that describes the socket
receiver...specifically, which socket is for the wired receiver. I was
sure it was the one at the end farthest from the USB plug and it's the
other. I was sure I'd tried that but apparently not. Another thing
that confused my testing is that I always forget that ir-keytable
relies on X seeing the input device, so plugging in a new device
requires restarting X for "ir-keytable -t" to work.

As far as how reliable the iguanaworks receiver is, it's hard to tell
just with tests. I'd probably have to actually use it on my frontend
to judge. On thing I do notice, but this is true for me with
ir-keytable even with serial: The -P (period) parameters just don't
seem to work for me. If I hold a button long enough to repeat it
repeats REALLY fast. It doesn't seem to be observing that at all.

Tom
Re: Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 4:52 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 8:00 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Wow I don't know what it is with me an IR receivers but this one just
>> keeps getting worse.
>>
>> I verified for sure that I have the Iguanaworks "socket receiver"
>> which is intended to have a wired receiver plugged into the 1/8 jack
>> farthest from the USB plug. I bought a wired receiver on ebay that
>> took a month and a half to arrive from China and it didn't work...not
>> even testing with the Windows igclient. It behaved just like it did
>> when I was trying to use it without a receiver. At that point I
>> assumed that the wired receiver may have been wired differently (the
>> support folks at Iguanaworks mentioned that that was a 50/50 shot), so
>> I ordered a wired receiver from Iganaworks. I got that today and STILL
>> no luck at all. I even have two of the USB units still (as I was
>> shipped a second from the ebay seller) and no luck with either one.
>>
>> Tom
>
> OMG...I don't believe it. I got the iguana to work. They totally redid
> their site and I can't even find the page that describes the socket
> receiver...specifically, which socket is for the wired receiver. I was
> sure it was the one at the end farthest from the USB plug and it's the
> other. I was sure I'd tried that but apparently not. Another thing
> that confused my testing is that I always forget that ir-keytable
> relies on X seeing the input device, so plugging in a new device
> requires restarting X for "ir-keytable -t" to work.
>
> As far as how reliable the iguanaworks receiver is, it's hard to tell
> just with tests. I'd probably have to actually use it on my frontend
> to judge. On thing I do notice, but this is true for me with
> ir-keytable even with serial: The -P (period) parameters just don't
> seem to work for me. If I hold a button long enough to repeat it
> repeats REALLY fast. It doesn't seem to be observing that at all.
>
> Tom

Excellent. I decided to actually try this on my frontend and the
iguanair seems VERY reliable. Arguably just as good as my old serial
IR. I have a feeling that the MCE receivers simply may not deal well
with remotes that don't use the RC-6 protocol, and again, mine uses
NEC. As a matter of fact, one button on my remote isn't picked up at
all by the MCE, and works fine with the Iguana.

It was the long way around the block for sure, but this seems like a
great option once I have no more serial port.

As mentioned above, I still find that the -P (period) option of
ir-keytable simply doesn't work. The delay does, but even with the
period set to 1000 ms it repeats faster than a machine gun. I've seen
others post as much here.

Tom