Mailing List Archive

Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR
Wow...I'm about to loose my mind here. As noted in a previous thread,
my old homebrew serial IR receiver appeared to have died. ir-keytable
worked with that for a very long time and now isn't getting any sign
of life at all from it.

I just bought an IguanaIR transceiver. I have the support enabled in
the kernel, as well as the NEC IR protocol:

CONFIG_IR_IGUANA=y
CONFIG_IR_NEC_DECODER=y

I know for a fact that my remote uses NEC (a Phillips TIVO34), as that
protocol worked when my serial IR was working.

EVERYTHING looks right here, and I'm just not getting any sign of life
out of this thing either. ANY suggestions are welcome. I'm about to
loose it here. This is what I have:

ir-keytable
Found /sys/class/rc/rc1/ (/dev/input/event5) with:
Driver iguanair, table rc-empty
Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY SANYO RC-5-SZ
SHARP XMP other
Enabled protocols: NEC
Name: IguanaWorks USB IR Transceiver v
bus: 3, vendor/product: 1781:0938, version: 0x0000
Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms
Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event0) with:
Driver serial_ir, table rc-empty
Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY SANYO RC-5-SZ
SHARP XMP other
Enabled protocols:
Name: Serial IR type home-brew
bus: 25, vendor/product: 0001:0001, version: 0x0100
Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms

The first one is the iguana of course. As you see, NEC protocol is
enabled, which I did with:

echo nec > /sys/class/rc/rc1/protocols

I get nothing at all from "ir-keytables -t", and even from:

od -x /dev/input/event5

It can't be the remote itself, as I have two of them. No way did they
both crap out at once. I've even tried this on a completely different
Gentoo system from my frontend.

I even just tried recompiling my kernel without the serial_ir just to
make sure that wasn't somehow causing issues. Other than obviously
picking up different device and input paths, I get the same
behavior...basically nothing at all. Everything here just plain looks
right, much as it did when my serial receiver was working.

UPDATE: I also have and MCE USB receiver that I bought recently. That
simply had way too much lag which is why I didn't use it.
Interestingly, that DOES work with the NEC protocol with "ir-keytable
-t". Is it possible that the IguanaIR just doesn't work with the NEC
protocol?

Thanks in advance.
Tom
Re: Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 11:17 AM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow...I'm about to loose my mind here. As noted in a previous thread,
> my old homebrew serial IR receiver appeared to have died. ir-keytable
> worked with that for a very long time and now isn't getting any sign
> of life at all from it.
>
> I just bought an IguanaIR transceiver. I have the support enabled in
> the kernel, as well as the NEC IR protocol:
>
> CONFIG_IR_IGUANA=y
> CONFIG_IR_NEC_DECODER=y
>
> I know for a fact that my remote uses NEC (a Phillips TIVO34), as that
> protocol worked when my serial IR was working.
>
> EVERYTHING looks right here, and I'm just not getting any sign of life
> out of this thing either. ANY suggestions are welcome. I'm about to
> loose it here. This is what I have:
>
> ir-keytable
> Found /sys/class/rc/rc1/ (/dev/input/event5) with:
> Driver iguanair, table rc-empty
> Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY SANYO RC-5-SZ
> SHARP XMP other
> Enabled protocols: NEC
> Name: IguanaWorks USB IR Transceiver v
> bus: 3, vendor/product: 1781:0938, version: 0x0000
> Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms
> Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event0) with:
> Driver serial_ir, table rc-empty
> Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY SANYO RC-5-SZ
> SHARP XMP other
> Enabled protocols:
> Name: Serial IR type home-brew
> bus: 25, vendor/product: 0001:0001, version: 0x0100
> Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms
>
> The first one is the iguana of course. As you see, NEC protocol is
> enabled, which I did with:
>
> echo nec > /sys/class/rc/rc1/protocols
>
> I get nothing at all from "ir-keytables -t", and even from:
>
> od -x /dev/input/event5
>
> It can't be the remote itself, as I have two of them. No way did they
> both crap out at once. I've even tried this on a completely different
> Gentoo system from my frontend.
>
> I even just tried recompiling my kernel without the serial_ir just to
> make sure that wasn't somehow causing issues. Other than obviously
> picking up different device and input paths, I get the same
> behavior...basically nothing at all. Everything here just plain looks
> right, much as it did when my serial receiver was working.
>
> UPDATE: I also have and MCE USB receiver that I bought recently. That
> simply had way too much lag which is why I didn't use it.
> Interestingly, that DOES work with the NEC protocol with "ir-keytable
> -t". Is it possible that the IguanaIR just doesn't work with the NEC
> protocol?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Tom

One quick question on the IguanaIR: This is the dual channel
transceiver. Is that supposed to have any LED or the like that would
light up when receiving like the MCE does? Mine stays totally dark.
I'd like to know if it might just be defective.

Thanks
Tom
Re: Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 12:12 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> picking up different device and input paths, I get the same
>> behavior...basically nothing at all. Everything here just plain looks
>> right, much as it did when my serial receiver was working.
>>
>> UPDATE: I also have and MCE USB receiver that I bought recently. That
>> simply had way too much lag which is why I didn't use it.
>> Interestingly, that DOES work with the NEC protocol with "ir-keytable
>> -t". Is it possible that the IguanaIR just doesn't work with the NEC
>> protocol?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>> Tom
>
> One quick question on the IguanaIR: This is the dual channel
> transceiver. Is that supposed to have any LED or the like that would
> light up when receiving like the MCE does? Mine stays totally dark.
> I'd like to know if it might just be defective.

Wow...now I'm really starting to wonder if this IguanaIR unit isn't
just plain bad. I just dug out an old remote from a Phillips DVD
player I had. That works with my MCE USB receiver and the rc-6
protocol just fine, but again, gets absolutely nothing from using the
IguanaIR with rc-6. That sort of rules out any issue with NEC
specifically. I hope someone can answer my question as to whether
those are supposed to light up.

Thanks
Tom
Re: Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR [ In reply to ]
On 11/17/2017 01:07 PM, Tom Dexter wrote:
>> One quick question on the IguanaIR: This is the dual channel
>> transceiver. Is that supposed to have any LED or the like that would
>> light up when receiving like the MCE does? Mine stays totally dark.
>> I'd like to know if it might just be defective.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Tom
> Wow...now I'm really starting to wonder if this IguanaIR unit isn't
> just plain bad. I just dug out an old remote from a Phillips DVD
> player I had. That works with my MCE USB receiver and the rc-6
> protocol just fine, but again, gets absolutely nothing from using the
> IguanaIR with rc-6. That sort of rules out any issue with NEC
> specifically. I hope someone can answer my question as to whether
> those are supposed to light up.

I have never seen anything light up on the IguanaIR.

I have not used it for a while, but it worked very well when I did use
it. It is however a bit of a pain to set up. You need to install the
IguanaIR driver from their web site and set up LIRC. The LIRC that came
with UBUNTU did not include the IguanaIR support and I had to download
lirc and compile it myself with IguanaIR support.

You need to find or create an lircd.conf file that matches your remote.
There is a web site with configuration files for many remotes. If you do
not find yours there you can create it using the irrecord utility.

You need to start by reading the documentation and instructions on the
Iguanair web site. They are fairly comprehensive.

Peter
Re: Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 2:27 PM, Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/17/2017 01:07 PM, Tom Dexter wrote:
>
> One quick question on the IguanaIR: This is the dual channel
> transceiver. Is that supposed to have any LED or the like that would
> light up when receiving like the MCE does? Mine stays totally dark.
> I'd like to know if it might just be defective.
>
> Thanks
> Tom
>
> Wow...now I'm really starting to wonder if this IguanaIR unit isn't
> just plain bad. I just dug out an old remote from a Phillips DVD
> player I had. That works with my MCE USB receiver and the rc-6
> protocol just fine, but again, gets absolutely nothing from using the
> IguanaIR with rc-6. That sort of rules out any issue with NEC
> specifically. I hope someone can answer my question as to whether
> those are supposed to light up.
>
> I have never seen anything light up on the IguanaIR.
>
> I have not used it for a while, but it worked very well when I did use it.
> It is however a bit of a pain to set up. You need to install the IguanaIR
> driver from their web site and set up LIRC. The LIRC that came with UBUNTU
> did not include the IguanaIR support and I had to download lirc and compile
> it myself with IguanaIR support.
>
> You need to find or create an lircd.conf file that matches your remote.
> There is a web site with configuration files for many remotes. If you do not
> find yours there you can create it using the irrecord utility.
>
> You need to start by reading the documentation and instructions on the
> Iguanair web site. They are fairly comprehensive.
>
> Peter

Thanks! Yea...from what I've read it appears there are no lights to
tell me anything.

Actually I'm using just ir-keytable...no LIRC. Also, the Linux kernel
has built in support for IguanaIR so none of that should be needed at
all (since about the 3.6 kernel and I'm on 4.12.12), any more that for
MCE or serial.

The setup with ir-keytable is actually pretty simple. If the driver
weren't installed I wouldn't be getting the device/event stuff above.
As long as the correct protocol is enabled for that device,
"ir-keytable -t" should just work...which it does with my MCE, and did
with the old serial port IR. Also, as noted in my last reply, I've
been able to get a completely different remote with a different
protocol to work with the MCE, and that has no sign of life with the
Iguana. I'm beginning to think it's just plain dead. I don't even get
output from the raw device with:

od -x /dev/input/event40

For now I'm using the MCE, but it's a bit unreliable, where you have
to hit buttons more than once.

Tom
Re: Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 3:08 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com> wrote:

> od -x /dev/input/event40

That was supposed to read:

od -x /dev/input/event0

Tom
Re: Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 17 Nov 2017, Tom Dexter wrote:

> ir-keytable
> Found /sys/class/rc/rc1/ (/dev/input/event5) with:
> Driver iguanair, table rc-empty
> Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY SANYO RC-5-SZ
> SHARP XMP other
> Enabled protocols: NEC
> Name: IguanaWorks USB IR Transceiver v
> bus: 3, vendor/product: 1781:0938, version: 0x0000
> Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms
> Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event0) with:
> Driver serial_ir, table rc-empty
> Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY SANYO RC-5-SZ
> SHARP XMP other
> Enabled protocols:
> Name: Serial IR type home-brew
> bus: 25, vendor/product: 0001:0001, version: 0x0100
> Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms
>
> The first one is the iguana of course. As you see, NEC protocol is
> enabled, which I did with:
>
> echo nec > /sys/class/rc/rc1/protocols

I have an IguanaIR that is sort of working with ir-keytable. I had to
select the RC5 protocol. It was unresponsive with all of the other
protocols.

I say it's "sort of" working because with my remotes it has a really
annoying issue with repeated IR events. That is, if I very briefly press a
remote button, every once in a while repeated events will pass through to
mythfrontend. If I set up LIRC to work with devinput, the repeats are no
longer an issue, but I'd like to not use LIRC because it tends to not
restart after I wake the PC (a ZOTAC ZBOX) from suspend, and when LIRC
doesn't come back to life I have to stop mythfrontend, restart LIRC, and
start mythbackend back up. Upshot: I've been using a wireless USB keyboard
instead of an IR remote to control mythfrontend.

Dave
--
Dave Ulrick
d-ulrick@comcast.net
Re: Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR [ In reply to ]
On 17/11/17 21:41, Dave Ulrick wrote:
> If I set up LIRC to work with devinput, the repeats are
> no longer an issue, but I'd like to not use LIRC because it tends to not
> restart after I wake the PC (a ZOTAC ZBOX) from suspend, and when LIRC
> doesn't come back to life I have to stop mythfrontend, restart LIRC, and
> start mythbackend back up. Upshot: I've been using a wireless USB
> keyboard instead of an IR remote to control mythfrontend.

Hm.... could you possibly file a bug on this at http://sf.net/p/lirc?

Cheers!

--alec
Re: Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 3:41 PM, Dave Ulrick <d-ulrick@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Nov 2017, Tom Dexter wrote:
>
>> ir-keytable
>> Found /sys/class/rc/rc1/ (/dev/input/event5) with:
>> Driver iguanair, table rc-empty
>> Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY SANYO RC-5-SZ
>> SHARP XMP other
>> Enabled protocols: NEC
>> Name: IguanaWorks USB IR Transceiver v
>> bus: 3, vendor/product: 1781:0938, version: 0x0000
>> Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms
>> Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event0) with:
>> Driver serial_ir, table rc-empty
>> Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY SANYO RC-5-SZ
>> SHARP XMP other
>> Enabled protocols:
>> Name: Serial IR type home-brew
>> bus: 25, vendor/product: 0001:0001, version: 0x0100
>> Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms
>>
>> The first one is the iguana of course. As you see, NEC protocol is
>> enabled, which I did with:
>>
>> echo nec > /sys/class/rc/rc1/protocols
>

> I have an IguanaIR that is sort of working with ir-keytable. I had to select
> the RC5 protocol. It was unresponsive with all of the other protocols.
>
> I say it's "sort of" working because with my remotes it has a really
> annoying issue with repeated IR events. That is, if I very briefly press a
> remote button, every once in a while repeated events will pass through to
> mythfrontend. If I set up LIRC to work with devinput, the repeats are no
> longer an issue, but I'd like to not use LIRC because it tends to not
> restart after I wake the PC (a ZOTAC ZBOX) from suspend, and when LIRC
> doesn't come back to life I have to stop mythfrontend, restart LIRC, and
> start mythbackend back up. Upshot: I've been using a wireless USB keyboard
> instead of an IR remote to control mythfrontend.
>
> Dave

If that's true then these things are pretty useless, as the protocol
is specific to the remote. I know for a fact that my Phillips TIVO34
uses the NEC protocol. Even the old DVD remote I just tested as
mentioned above requires the RC6 protocol and not the RC5.

Another note: As a sanity check I got desperate and installed their
Windows client/daemon stuff under Windows 10. I tried the tests listed
here:

http://www.iguanaworks.net/2012/igclient-examples

The results were pretty similar in that it knows there's a device that
(and can get the version), but does NOT receive any signals from the
remote. This is a little fucking crazy. I got a serial port IT working
under Linux literally 14 years ago and it went better than this.

Tom
Re: Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 17 Nov 2017, Alec Leamas wrote:

> On 17/11/17 21:41, Dave Ulrick wrote:
>> If I set up LIRC to work with devinput, the repeats are no longer an issue,
>> but I'd like to not use LIRC because it tends to not restart after I wake
>> the PC (a ZOTAC ZBOX) from suspend, and when LIRC doesn't come back to life
>> I have to stop mythfrontend, restart LIRC, and start mythbackend back up.
>> Upshot: I've been using a wireless USB keyboard instead of an IR remote to
>> control mythfrontend.
>
> Hm.... could you possibly file a bug on this at http://sf.net/p/lirc?

It's been a while since I've tried to run LIRC in this mode. If/when I get
a chance I'll file a bug. I should still have my old .lircrc file some
place so hopefully it won't be too tough to get LIRC back up and running.

Dave
--
Dave Ulrick
d-ulrick@comcast.net
Re: Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 17 Nov 2017, Tom Dexter wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 3:41 PM, Dave Ulrick <d-ulrick@comcast.net> wrote:
>> I have an IguanaIR that is sort of working with ir-keytable. I had to select
>> the RC5 protocol. It was unresponsive with all of the other protocols.

> If that's true then these things are pretty useless, as the protocol
> is specific to the remote. I know for a fact that my Phillips TIVO34
> uses the NEC protocol. Even the old DVD remote I just tested as
> mentioned above requires the RC6 protocol and not the RC5.
>
> Another note: As a sanity check I got desperate and installed their
> Windows client/daemon stuff under Windows 10. I tried the tests listed
> here:
>
> http://www.iguanaworks.net/2012/igclient-examples
>
> The results were pretty similar in that it knows there's a device that
> (and can get the version), but does NOT receive any signals from the
> remote. This is a little fucking crazy. I got a serial port IT working
> under Linux literally 14 years ago and it went better than this.

My bad...I didn't realize that the protocol is related to the remote. I'd
assumed it was related to the IR receiver (the IguanaIR). Evidently my
remotes (a Hauppage remote plus a Logitech Harmony One set up to emulate a
Hauppage remote) are RC5.

Hopefully you'll be able to get the IguanaIR working with your remote.
Perhaps you should open a ticket with IguanaWorks.

Dave
--
Dave Ulrick
d-ulrick@comcast.net
Re: Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 11:17:40 -0500, you wrote:

>Wow...I'm about to loose my mind here. As noted in a previous thread,
>my old homebrew serial IR receiver appeared to have died. ir-keytable
>worked with that for a very long time and now isn't getting any sign
>of life at all from it.
>
>I just bought an IguanaIR transceiver. I have the support enabled in
>the kernel, as well as the NEC IR protocol:
>
>CONFIG_IR_IGUANA=y
>CONFIG_IR_NEC_DECODER=y
>
>I know for a fact that my remote uses NEC (a Phillips TIVO34), as that
>protocol worked when my serial IR was working.
>
>EVERYTHING looks right here, and I'm just not getting any sign of life
>out of this thing either. ANY suggestions are welcome. I'm about to
>loose it here. This is what I have:
>
>ir-keytable
>Found /sys/class/rc/rc1/ (/dev/input/event5) with:
> Driver iguanair, table rc-empty
> Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY SANYO RC-5-SZ
>SHARP XMP other
> Enabled protocols: NEC
> Name: IguanaWorks USB IR Transceiver v
> bus: 3, vendor/product: 1781:0938, version: 0x0000
> Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms
>Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event0) with:
> Driver serial_ir, table rc-empty
> Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY SANYO RC-5-SZ
>SHARP XMP other
> Enabled protocols:
> Name: Serial IR type home-brew
> bus: 25, vendor/product: 0001:0001, version: 0x0100
> Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms
>
>The first one is the iguana of course. As you see, NEC protocol is
>enabled, which I did with:
>
>echo nec > /sys/class/rc/rc1/protocols
>
>I get nothing at all from "ir-keytables -t", and even from:
>
>od -x /dev/input/event5
>
>It can't be the remote itself, as I have two of them. No way did they
>both crap out at once. I've even tried this on a completely different
>Gentoo system from my frontend.
>
>I even just tried recompiling my kernel without the serial_ir just to
>make sure that wasn't somehow causing issues. Other than obviously
>picking up different device and input paths, I get the same
>behavior...basically nothing at all. Everything here just plain looks
>right, much as it did when my serial receiver was working.
>
>UPDATE: I also have and MCE USB receiver that I bought recently. That
>simply had way too much lag which is why I didn't use it.
>Interestingly, that DOES work with the NEC protocol with "ir-keytable
>-t". Is it possible that the IguanaIR just doesn't work with the NEC
>protocol?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>Tom

Comparing your ir-keytable output with mine from my working MCE
remote, the difference I see is the "table rc-empty". I get "table
rc-rc6-mce". I am guessing that means that there is no keytable
mapping file configured. In Mythbuntu 16.04, I have a custom keytable
"rc6_mce" file in /etc/rc_keymaps, edited from the standard version in
/lib/udev/rc_keymaps. The /etc/rc_maps.cfg file tells the drivers
where to load the keymap file from, so it probably needs an entry in
rc_maps.cfg to map the iguanair driver to a keytable file. And you
will need to work out which keytable file will work or create one.

The rc_maps.cfg file line should look like:

* rc-iguanair rc_nec_iguanair

and the keytable file would then be "rc_nec_iguanair" and should be in
/etc/rc_keymaps.
Re: Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 5:45 PM, Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
> [...]
>>protocol?
>>
>>Thanks in advance.
>>Tom
>
> Comparing your ir-keytable output with mine from my working MCE
> remote, the difference I see is the "table rc-empty". I get "table
> rc-rc6-mce". I am guessing that means that there is no keytable
> mapping file configured. In Mythbuntu 16.04, I have a custom keytable
> "rc6_mce" file in /etc/rc_keymaps, edited from the standard version in
> /lib/udev/rc_keymaps. The /etc/rc_maps.cfg file tells the drivers
> where to load the keymap file from, so it probably needs an entry in
> rc_maps.cfg to map the iguanair driver to a keytable file. And you
> will need to work out which keytable file will work or create one.
>
> The rc_maps.cfg file line should look like:
>
> * rc-iguanair rc_nec_iguanair
>
> and the keytable file would then be "rc_nec_iguanair" and should be in

I actually do have a working keytable for that remote, however that's
only needed to actually map the hex scan codes to key codes. As long
as the driver finds the device, and the correct protocol is enabled,
"ir-keytable -t" should work and output the scan codes...it just won't
be mapping them to any keyboard keys. In fact, that's actually how you
create a keytable for a specific remote.

Given that even their Windows client can't get any output from this,
it's really looking like this one may be defective. This is new, and I
got it from a seller on ebay. I contacted him and explained what I'm
seeing with this, and he's going to send me another...didn't even want
this one back...pretty cool. Hopefully that will work out better.

Tom
Re: Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 3:41 PM, Dave Ulrick <d-ulrick@comcast.net> wrote:

> I have an IguanaIR that is sort of working with ir-keytable. I had to select
> the RC5 protocol. It was unresponsive with all of the other protocols.
>
> I say it's "sort of" working because with my remotes it has a really
> annoying issue with repeated IR events. That is, if I very briefly press a
> remote button, every once in a while repeated events will pass through to
> mythfrontend. If I set up LIRC to work with devinput, the repeats are no
> longer an issue, but I'd like to not use LIRC because it tends to not
> restart after I wake the PC (a ZOTAC ZBOX) from suspend, and when LIRC
> doesn't come back to life I have to stop mythfrontend, restart LIRC, and
> start mythbackend back up. Upshot: I've been using a wireless USB keyboard
> instead of an IR remote to control mythfrontend.
>
> Dave

You know it's interesting that you bring this up about using that in
LIRC. As I mentioned above I have an MCE USB receiver that I wasn't
using because I found it to be way to unreliable. It would even
periodically stop getting anything at all for 30 seconds or more. That
was when I was still using LIRC (with the default driver) and wasn't
able to get my old serial port receiver working (after the kernel move
of lirc_serial to serial_ir).

Interestingly, because this new IquanaIR doesn't appear to be working,
I just started using the MCE with ir-keytable, and it's actually
working almost flawlessly. There's one button on my remote that
doesn't get recognized at all for some reason, so I substituted
another. Occasionally it misses and you have to hit a button twice,
but all it all it's quite usable with ir-keytable.

Tom
Re: Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 4:02 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com> wrote:

> Another note: As a sanity check I got desperate and installed their
> Windows client/daemon stuff under Windows 10. I tried the tests listed
> here:
>
> http://www.iguanaworks.net/2012/igclient-examples
>
> The results were pretty similar in that it knows there's a device that
> (and can get the version), but does NOT receive any signals from the
> remote. This is a little fucking crazy. I got a serial port IT working
> under Linux literally 14 years ago and it went better than this.
>
> Tom

I give with these things. The ebay seller I got this from sent me
another one of these and it's just as void of any life as the first
one...again, even testing with the Windows stuff as described above.
If knows the device is there but simply isn't getting anything from
any remotes.

Beyond crazy. Here's something I was just trying that I can't figure out either:

With serial or with my MCE USB receiver I set the protocol with this,
which works fine:

echo nec > /sys/class/rc/rc1/protocols

It appears to be working in this case:

ir-keytable
Found /sys/class/rc/rc1/ (/dev/input/event5) with:
Driver iguanair, table rc-empty
Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY SANYO RC-5-SZ
SHARP XMP other
Enabled protocols:
Name: IguanaWorks USB IR Transceiver v
bus: 3, vendor/product: 1781:0938, version: 0x0000
Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms

I can also load the custom keymap for my Tivo remote with this:

ir-keytable -c -w tivo34_nec -d /dev/input/event5
Old keytable cleared
Wrote 33 keycode(s) to driver

However, if I attempt to set the protocol with ir-keytable itself
using the -p option I get this mess:

ir-keytable -p nec -c -w tivo34_nec -d /dev/input/event5
Old keytable cleared
Wrote 33 keycode(s) to driver
?+_? ,_??2s?03s??3s??4s??6s?%9s?~9s??9s?P:s??Cs??;s?/protocol: No such
file or directory
Couldn't change the IR protocols

I've also read that you can can apparently specify the protocol in a
comment line at the top of the keytable file with something like this:

# table tivo_nec, type: NEC

If I try that I get the same mess as above. What the hell? It appears
that it's improperly looking for the path to
/sys/class/rc/rc1/protocols. In any case, by just cat'ing "nec" to the
device I do in fact end up with the correct protocol enabled:

ir-keytable
Found /sys/class/rc/rc1/ (/dev/input/event5) with:
Driver iguanair, table rc-empty
Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY SANYO RC-5-SZ
SHARP XMP other
Enabled protocols: NEC
Name: IguanaWorks USB IR Transceiver v
bus: 3, vendor/product: 1781:0938, version: 0x0000
Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms

But "ir-keytable -t" just gets no input whatsoever.

One big irony of all this is that, since I had nothing to loose, I
took apart my old homebrew serial receiver and actually found a wire
broken off the circuit board. I was able to resolder that and got it
working again. As many others seem to report, that serial IR is way
more solid than anything I've seen with USB so far, especially this.
What especially bothers me is that, when/if I replace my frontend,
serial won't be an option.

The stunning part of that everything I'm trying here works, not only
with serial, but with my MCE receiver. This IguanaIR is a total
doorstop for me so far.

Tom
Re: Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 5:52 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com> wrote:

> However, if I attempt to set the protocol with ir-keytable itself
> using the -p option I get this mess:
>
> ir-keytable -p nec -c -w tivo34_nec -d /dev/input/event5
> Old keytable cleared
> Wrote 33 keycode(s) to driver
> ?+_? ,_??2s?03s??3s??4s??6s?%9s?~9s??9s?P:s??Cs??;s?/protocol: No such
> file or directory
> Couldn't change the IR protocols

It looks like this part is a bug in ir-keytable apparently:

http://openelec.tv/forum/103-infared-remotes/70698-ir-keytable-bug

Though that doesn't answer any of my problems here, as I can in fact
set the protocol, but I'm still getting zip from this thing.

Tom
Re: Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 4:58 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 5:52 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > However, if I attempt to set the protocol with ir-keytable itself
> > using the -p option I get this mess:
> >
> > ir-keytable -p nec -c -w tivo34_nec -d /dev/input/event5
> > Old keytable cleared
> > Wrote 33 keycode(s) to driver
> > ?+_? ,_??2s?03s??3s??4s??6s?%9s?~9s??9s?P:s??Cs??;s?/protocol: No such
> > file or directory
> > Couldn't change the IR protocols

ir-keytable -v -c -p nec -a <full path to tivo34_nec>

Assuming you only have (1) IR device plugged in, you do not need to specify
device. If you do have multiple, use -s ir{0,1,2}

It's all in the man page

-v should tell you what is wrong.

Re: Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 5:52 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com> wrote:

> I give with these things. The ebay seller I got this from sent me
> another one of these and it's just as void of any life as the first
> one...again, even testing with the Windows stuff as described above.
> If knows the device is there but simply isn't getting anything from
> any remotes.

OMG...I emailed Iguanaworks support with the details and got a reply
which may have answered all of this...though I'm waiting for another
reply confirming this.

It's looking like I may have received the wrong unit. That is rather
than this, with a built-in receiver:

https://www.iguanaworks.net/products/usb-ir-transceiver/

...it appears I may have received this, which has NO receiver at all
and works with a wired receiver:

https://www.iguanaworks.net/products/usb-ir-transceiver/socket-receive/

Unless you look into the end of the thing with a light, they look
basically identical. Again...waiting for another reply to confirm but
I'm almost sure that's what happened. For the love of all that is holy
anyway...

Tom
Re: Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 7:55 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 5:52 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I give with these things. The ebay seller I got this from sent me
>> another one of these and it's just as void of any life as the first
>> one...again, even testing with the Windows stuff as described above.
>> If knows the device is there but simply isn't getting anything from
>> any remotes.
>>

> OMG...I emailed Iguanaworks support with the details and got a reply
> which may have answered all of this...though I'm waiting for another
> reply confirming this.
>
> It's looking like I may have received the wrong unit. That is rather
> than this, with a built-in receiver:
>
> https://www.iguanaworks.net/products/usb-ir-transceiver/
>
> ...it appears I may have received this, which has NO receiver at all
> and works with a wired receiver:
>
> https://www.iguanaworks.net/products/usb-ir-transceiver/socket-receive/
>
> Unless you look into the end of the thing with a light, they look
> basically identical. Again...waiting for another reply to confirm but
> I'm almost sure that's what happened. For the love of all that is holy
> anyway...
>
> Tom

Wow I don't know what it is with me an IR receivers but this one just
keeps getting worse.

I verified for sure that I have the Iguanaworks "socket receiver"
which is intended to have a wired receiver plugged into the 1/8 jack
farthest from the USB plug. I bought a wired receiver on ebay that
took a month and a half to arrive from China and it didn't work...not
even testing with the Windows igclient. It behaved just like it did
when I was trying to use it without a receiver. At that point I
assumed that the wired receiver may have been wired differently (the
support folks at Iguanaworks mentioned that that was a 50/50 shot), so
I ordered a wired receiver from Iganaworks. I got that today and STILL
no luck at all. I even have two of the USB units still (as I was
shipped a second from the ebay seller) and no luck with either one.

Under both Linux and Windows it's the same. The unit itself is seen
but gets no input. Just plain crazy.

What concerns me is that, which nVidia dropping support for 32 bit
operating systems, a time will come where I'll need to replace my old
frontend (which has a very reliable serial port receiver), and I
simply can NOT find a USB IR that works. Beyond insane.

As I've mentioned before I have an MCE receiver that works, but has so
much lag and is so unreliable as to be unusable, and now I'm at a
total brick wall with this. Just insane.

Tom
Re: Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 7:00 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 7:55 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 5:52 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> I give with these things. The ebay seller I got this from sent me
> >> another one of these and it's just as void of any life as the first
> >> one...again, even testing with the Windows stuff as described above.
> >> If knows the device is there but simply isn't getting anything from
> >> any remotes.
> >>

> > OMG...I emailed Iguanaworks support with the details and got a reply
> > which may have answered all of this...though I'm waiting for another
> > reply confirming this.
> >
> > It's looking like I may have received the wrong unit. That is rather
> > than this, with a built-in receiver:
> >
> > https://www.iguanaworks.net/products/usb-ir-transceiver/
> >
> > ...it appears I may have received this, which has NO receiver at all
> > and works with a wired receiver:
> >
> > https://www.iguanaworks.net/products/usb-ir-transceiver/socket-receive/
> >
> > Unless you look into the end of the thing with a light, they look
> > basically identical. Again...waiting for another reply to confirm but
> > I'm almost sure that's what happened. For the love of all that is holy
> > anyway...
> >
> > Tom
>
> Wow I don't know what it is with me an IR receivers but this one just
> keeps getting worse.
>
> I verified for sure that I have the Iguanaworks "socket receiver"
> which is intended to have a wired receiver plugged into the 1/8 jack
> farthest from the USB plug. I bought a wired receiver on ebay that
> took a month and a half to arrive from China and it didn't work...not
> even testing with the Windows igclient. It behaved just like it did
> when I was trying to use it without a receiver. At that point I
> assumed that the wired receiver may have been wired differently (the
> support folks at Iguanaworks mentioned that that was a 50/50 shot), so
> I ordered a wired receiver from Iganaworks. I got that today and STILL
> no luck at all. I even have two of the USB units still (as I was
> shipped a second from the ebay seller) and no luck with either one.
>
> Under both Linux and Windows it's the same. The unit itself is seen
> but gets no input. Just plain crazy.
>
> What concerns me is that, which nVidia dropping support for 32 bit
> operating systems, a time will come where I'll need to replace my old
> frontend (which has a very reliable serial port receiver), and I
> simply can NOT find a USB IR that works. Beyond insane.
>
> As I've mentioned before I have an MCE receiver that works, but has so
> much lag and is so unreliable as to be unusable, and now I'm at a
> total brick wall with this. Just insane.
>
> Tom

I know you do not like the lag on MCE usb stuff, but I have several of
these receivers:

GP-IR02BK(TSES-IR18)

That's the model number on it. I never knew IR could be faster - it is no
more laggy than a remote that comes with my TVs controlling the TVs
themselves. And of course MythTV running on a quad core i7 will obviously
feel faster than any "rented" provider's piece of equipment no matter how
laggy the IR feels to you :)

I have never had anything else to compare with though....

I have used these units since 2009 or 2010 since I started using MythTV - I
cannot recall ever missing a keypress. The remotes that come with them are
crap, but I use harmonies with Windows Media Center as the type in the
Harmony software. I just switched most frontends to nVidia Shields, so
they are decommissioned, but if you can still find that model number
somewhere - they work well for me (my TV still uses one). I velcro(ed)
them to the bottoms of the TVs and they have 2 IR blaster ports that I
assume just repeat whatever they receive - I have never used them.

Of course if your Iguana fiasco doesn't pan out - that is weird - must be
something with USB. Does your motherboard have the serial header that you
could get the DB9 cable and use actual serial? I know the latest board I
bought still had it, but have also seen new ones without the header at
all..

If you have a /dev/ttyS0, etc - then you may have the header too. I cannot
imagine them putting a 232 (or more advanced) chip on the board without
adding the header. RS232 has no loopback signals, so with or without being
cabled up, you should still see it if it is active in BIOS or EFI.
Re: Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 10:10 PM, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> are decommissioned, but if you can still find that model number somewhere -
> they work well for me (my TV still uses one). I velcro(ed) them to the
> bottoms of the TVs and they have 2 IR blaster ports that I assume just
> repeat whatever they receive - I have never used them.
>
> Of course if your Iguana fiasco doesn't pan out - that is weird - must be
> something with USB. Does your motherboard have the serial header that you
> could get the DB9 cable and use actual serial? I know the latest board I
> bought still had it, but have also seen new ones without the header at all..
>
> If you have a /dev/ttyS0, etc - then you may have the header too. I cannot
> imagine them putting a 232 (or more advanced) chip on the board without
> adding the header. RS232 has no loopback signals, so with or without being
> cabled up, you should still see it if it is active in BIOS or EFI.

Thanks for the reply! Actually my current situation is that I'm still
using my old x86 frontend which has an RS232 serial port. I was
without my serial IR for a while but was able to fix a broken solder
joint on it, so I'm fine with that for now. I've been mostly trying to
determine the best option once I need to go USB, and it's been grim.
With that Iguana, I'm hoping I can possibly return the wired receiver,
plus the USB units I have and have them tell me if any of it works, as
I'm at a complete impasse...insane. With both USB units (which are
recognized by the OS) I get no data testing on this Linux machine or
two different Windows 10 machines.

I'd love to find one of the MCE receivers you're talking about. The
one I bought has no visible model and looks like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Inteset-USB-External-Infrared-IR-Media-Center-Receiver-with-Cable-NEW/172971805481

This is what the kernel sees:

[962933.888618] rc rc1: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote
Transceiver (1934:5168) as
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0/0000:02:02.0/usb5/5-1/5-1:1.0/rc/rc1
[962933.888703] input: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote
Transceiver (1934:5168) as
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0/0000:02:02.0/usb5/5-1/5-1:1.0/rc/rc1/input29
[962934.038551] mceusb 5-1:1.0: Registered FINTEK eHome Infrared
Transceiver with mce emulator interface version 2
[962934.038556] mceusb 5-1:1.0: 0 tx ports (0x0 cabled) and 2 rx
sensors (0x1 active)

If I search for that GP-IR02BK(TSES-IR18) it appears that the
GP-IR02BK part is a model for an actual MCE remote control(?). Can't
find much on that.

Thanks again
Tom
Re: Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 9:28 AM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>
> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Inteset-USB-External-Infrared-
> IR-Media-Center-Receiver-with-Cable-NEW/172971805481
>
> This is what the kernel sees:
>
> [962933.888618] rc rc1: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote
> Transceiver (1934:5168) as
> /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0/0000:02:02.0/usb5/5-1/5-1:1.0/rc/rc1
> [962933.888703] input: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote
> Transceiver (1934:5168) as
> /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0/0000:02:02.0/usb5/5-1/5-
> 1:1.0/rc/rc1/input29
> [962934.038551] mceusb 5-1:1.0: Registered FINTEK eHome Infrared
> Transceiver with mce emulator interface version 2
> [962934.038556] mceusb 5-1:1.0: 0 tx ports (0x0 cabled) and 2 rx
> sensors (0x1 active)
>
> If I search for that GP-IR02BK(TSES-IR18) it appears that the
> GP-IR02BK part is a model for an actual MCE remote control(?). Can't

Mine is :
[1843343.252305] usb 1-1.1: New USB device found, idVendor=1784,
idProduct=0008
[1843343.252311] usb 1-1.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2,
SerialNumber=3
[1843343.252315] usb 1-1.1: Product: eHome Infrared Transceiver
[1843343.252376] usb 1-1.1: Manufacturer: Topseed Technology Corp.
[1843343.252379] usb 1-1.1: SerialNumber: TS000D0r
[1843343.254262] rc rc0: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote Transceiver
(1784:0008) as
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.1/1-1.1:1.0/rc/rc0
[1843343.254701] rc rc0: lirc_dev: driver ir-lirc-codec (mceusb) registered
at minor = 0
[1843343.254715] Registered IR keymap rc-rc6-mce
[1843343.254832] input: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote Transceiver
(1784:0008) as
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.1/1-1.1:1.0/rc/rc0/input9
[1843343.363079] mceusb 1-1.1:1.0: Registered Topseed Technology Corp.
eHome Infrared Transceiver with mce emulator interface version 1
[1843343.363086] mceusb 1-1.1:1.0: 2 tx ports (0x0 cabled) and 2 rx sensors
(0x1 active)

And this is the actual unit - although Amazon does not sell them any more,
but I bought them from NewEgg back in the "pre-Amazon" days :)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W5GK5C?_encoding=UTF8&%2AVersion%2A=1&%2Aentries%2A=0&showDetailTechData=1#technical-data

I see it is rc6 versus your rc1 - not sure if that matters - I am no IR
expert, but I used to buy Phillips Prontos, which were very cool for
programming and look, but had very few hard buttons. I came to realize
quickly that a cheaper remote with hard buttons was much more important to
me (for not having to look at it) than blingy (is that a word) remotes.

I doubt you can find them any longer, (I just spent a few minutes trying to
find one to buy) nor if they are any better/worse than other MCE devices,
but like I said, I have not had any issues, and more importantly for your
usage - have no way to benchmark it versus an Iguana. I know back in the
early days, there were a lot of Myth users using Iguana prior to MCE
remotes coming out. It seemed the most stable and easy to configure at the
time - I am just a hobbyist who tinkers, but I have not yet had to tinker
with remotes - I have just "been happy". sub-second responses are not
important to me while I watch TV usually.. Just menu, exit, ff, rw, skip
f, skip b, play and pause are all I usually use - if I find myself trying
to do something else, I am usually getting the keyboard out or having to
switch my remote to "device" mode which puts human lag in the situation
anyhow..
Re: Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR [ In reply to ]
wrote:

> [...]
>
> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Inteset-USB-External-Infrared-
> IR-Media-Center-Receiver-with-Cable-NEW/172971805481
>
> This is what the kernel sees:
>
> [962933.888618] rc rc1: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote
> Transceiver (1934:5168) as
> /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0/0000:02:02.0/usb5/5-1/5-1:1.0/rc/rc1
> [962933.888703] input: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote
> Transceiver (1934:5168) as
> /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0/0000:02:02.0/usb5/5-1/5-
> 1:1.0/rc/rc1/input29
> [962934.038551] mceusb 5-1:1.0: Registered FINTEK eHome Infrared
> Transceiver with mce emulator interface version 2
> [962934.038556] mceusb 5-1:1.0: 0 tx ports (0x0 cabled) and 2 rx
> sensors (0x1 active)
>
> If I search for that GP-IR02BK(TSES-IR18) it appears that the
> GP-IR02BK part is a model for an actual MCE remote control(?). Can't

And while I have all of the required hardware, I have not set it up this
way yet, but in case you have or want to get a harmony remote that is
harmony hub compatible, this is recommended by several long time users:

https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/614015

Apparently it is keyboard fast.

Refurb stuff can be had on Amazon fairly cheap (well cheaper) that new. I
recently had an Ultimate One die and replaced it with:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F5TT510/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it is cheaper than the Prontos I used to buy, but that was back in the
early 2000's when there was not much competition other than 6 device
programmables..

The Harmonies are definitely nice if you want to drop the cash. The only
complain I have about the one I just bought (and Logitech is going to
publish code to fix it (so they told me)) is that the activities and device
"buttons" are on the touch screen. I am a button feeler, so my thumb
constantly goes past the top most hard buttons and presses those putting
this model into one of those screens.

I told them I was going to send it back and get the older version of "One"
I had prior and they told me to wait, there would be a software fix to
allow me to move those button via software. It has been 3 months, so I am
going to email them now and see what's up..
Re: Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 11:47 AM, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> to find one to buy) nor if they are any better/worse than other MCE
> devices, but like I said, I have not had any issues, and more importantly
> for your usage - have no way to benchmark it versus an Iguana. I know back
> in the early days, there were a lot of Myth users using Iguana prior to MCE
> remotes coming out. It seemed the most stable and easy to configure at the
> time - I am just a hobbyist who tinkers, but I have not yet had to tinker
> with remotes - I have just "been happy". sub-second responses are not
> important to me while I watch TV usually.. Just menu, exit, ff, rw, skip
> f, skip b, play and pause are all I usually use - if I find myself trying
> to do something else, I am usually getting the keyboard out or having to
> switch my remote to "device" mode which puts human lag in the situation

Mine is also from Newegg and is out of stock. I ordered it at least 4
years ago.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880121003

The remote itself has some bad buttons now and I use a Harmony remote
instead. The receiver keeps on going and I've never had an issue with it.
Newegg has similar items listed from that link -- maybe they have one that
will work for you.

I've had issues keeping LIRC running when there's an update but it's never
been because of the receiver, and it's just taken a configuration tweak. I
use a slightly modified .lircrc that I got from the Mythdora days.
Everything just works and I have no lag that I can notice.

I don't do any IR blasting so if you need that, I guess you'll need
something like the Iguana.
Re: Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 11:04 AM, Jerry <mythtv@hambone.e4ward.com> wrote:

> [...]
> years ago.
>
> https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880121003
>
> The remote itself has some bad buttons now and I use a Harmony remote
> instead. The receiver keeps on going and I've never had an issue with it.
> Newegg has similar items listed from that link -- maybe they have one that
> will work for you.
>
> I've had issues keeping LIRC running when there's an update but it's never
> been because of the receiver, and it's just taken a configuration tweak. I
> use a slightly modified .lircrc that I got from the Mythdora days.
> Everything just works and I have no lag that I can notice.
>
> I don't do any IR blasting so if you need that, I guess you'll need
> something like the Iguana.
>
> Yep - that's the same one I have. The remotes definitely need help, but I
have never used one. The receivers have never failed me once though.. I
have another that plugs directly into the USB port, but it is a little more
painful since you need fron side USB ports for it to catch IR (or an
extender cable), but it has never failed me either - I cannot find where I
bought it though.

1 2  View All