Mailing List Archive

New installation errors
I'm installing 2.0.28.0+fixes.20160413.15cf421-Oubuntu2.16.04.1 on a Jetway JBC231C98-525-B running Ubuntu MATE 16.04. I ran the following, per the instructions at https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Ubuntu"]https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Ubuntu

    sudo apt-get update

    apt-cache policy mythtv
        mythtv:
          Installed: 2.0.28.0+fixes.20160413.15cf421-Oubuntu2.16.04.1
          Candidate: 2.0.28.0+fixes.20160413.15cf421-Oubuntu2.16.04.1   

        (I did this earlier, but didn't write down what it said.)

    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythubuntu/0.28
        Cannot add PPA: 'ppa:-mythbuntu/ubuntu/0.28.'
        ERROR: '-mythbuntu' user or team does not exist.

But since mythtv exists in the Synaptic list, I went ahead and ran

    sudo apt-get install mythtv

One error message ran past on the screen before I could read it. (There's probably a log somewhere, but I don't know where to look for it.) The rest of the installation proceeded and ended without complaint. At least I didn't see any additional error messages.

In MATE's menu I found "System > Administration > MythTV Backend Setup" and ran it. A terminal window opened and a number of things scrolled past before giving me the Country and Language screen. I selected United States, and English (United States), and Save.

That screen went away and "Database Configuration 1/2" appeared with the following error message:

"MythTV Could not connect to the database. Please verify your database settings b" [there's more to the line, but not on my screen]
"Required fields are marked with an asterisk (*)."

At this point I chose "Cancel." The terminal window returned and a number of lines scrolled by before it closed. Then I was presented with a dialog box labeled "Start backend." It asks, "Would you like to start the mythtv backend?" I chose No, then I got a dialog box labeled "Fill database?" It asks, "Would you like to run mythfilldatabase?" Again, I chose No.

From the comments on https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Ubuntu"]https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Ubuntu I assumed that MySQL was set up with a mythtv user. Perhaps this is where the problem is. In the MySQL monitor, when I run the command "show databases;" I see the following:

+--------------------+
| Database           |
+--------------------+
| information_schema |
| mysql              |
| mythconverge       |
| performance_schema |
| sys                |
+--------------------+

I assume I need to run "$ mysql -u root < mc.sql" as instructed on https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Setup"]https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Setup. Where do I find mc.sql?

Are there any other gotchas people are aware of that I should know about?

Thanks.

-- Regards, Dick Steffens
Re: New installation errors [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 3:53 PM Dick Steffens <dick@dicksteffens.com> wrote:

> I'm installing 2.0.28.0+fixes.20160413.15cf421-Oubuntu2.16.04.1 on a
> Jetway JBC231C98-525-B running Ubuntu MATE 16.04. I ran the following, per
> the instructions at
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Ubuntu
>
> sudo apt-get update
>
> apt-cache policy mythtv
> mythtv:
> Installed: 2.0.28.0+fixes.20160413.15cf421-Oubuntu2.16.04.1
> Candidate: 2.0.28.0+fixes.20160413.15cf421-Oubuntu2.16.04.1
>
> (I did this earlier, but didn't write down what it said.)
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythubuntu/0.28
> Cannot add PPA: 'ppa:-mythbuntu/ubuntu/0.28.'
> ERROR: '-mythbuntu' user or team does not exist.
>
> But since mythtv exists in the Synaptic list, I went ahead and ran
>
> sudo apt-get install mythtv
>
> One error message ran past on the screen before I could read it. (There's
> probably a log somewhere, but I don't know where to look for it.) The rest
> of the installation proceeded and ended without complaint. At least I
> didn't see any additional error messages.
>
> In MATE's menu I found "System > Administration > MythTV Backend Setup"
> and ran it. A terminal window opened and a number of things scrolled past
> before giving me the Country and Language screen. I selected United States,
> and English (United States), and Save.
>
> That screen went away and "Database Configuration 1/2" appeared with the
> following error message:
>
> "MythTV Could not connect to the database. Please verify your database
> settings b" [there's more to the line, but not on my screen]
> "Required fields are marked with an asterisk (*)."
>
> At this point I chose "Cancel." The terminal window returned and a number
> of lines scrolled by before it closed. Then I was presented with a dialog
> box labeled "Start backend." It asks, "Would you like to start the mythtv
> backend?" I chose No, then I got a dialog box labeled "Fill database?" It
> asks, "Would you like to run mythfilldatabase?" Again, I chose No.
>
> From the comments on
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Ubuntu I assumed that
> MySQL was set up with a mythtv user. Perhaps this is where the problem is.
> In the MySQL monitor, when I run the command "show databases;" I see the
> following:
>
> +--------------------+
> | Database |
> +--------------------+
> | information_schema |
> | mysql |
> | mythconverge |
> | performance_schema |
> | sys |
> +--------------------+
>
> I assume I need to run "$ mysql -u root < mc.sql" as instructed on
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Setup. Where do I find mc.sql?
>
> Are there any other gotchas people are aware of that I should know about?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dick Steffens
>
>
> _______________________________________________
>
>
Can you run the command again and copy and paste the output. It's
impossible (actually impossible, not hyperbole) to get the error message
you said you got when running the command you said you ran. The command to
add the 0.28 repository would be

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/0.28

Where you said you ran
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythubuntu/0.28

Which is slightly different.



--
-Thomas
Re: New installation errors [ In reply to ]
On 09/12/2017 04:59 PM, Thomas Mashos wrote:


On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 3:53 PM Dick Steffens <dick@dicksteffens.com> wrote:
<...>
??? sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythubuntu/0.28
??? ??? Cannot add PPA: 'ppa:-mythbuntu/ubuntu/0.28.'
??? ??? ERROR: '-mythbuntu' user or team does not exist

<...>

Can you run the command again and copy and paste the output. It's impossible (actually impossible, not hyperbole) to get the error message you said you got when running the command you said you ran. The command to add the 0.28 repository would be?
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/0.28

Here's the requested output:

rsteff@Jetway:~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/0.28 | tee output.txt
?Released
?More info: https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu/+archive/ubuntu/0.28"]https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu/+archive/ubuntu/0.28
Press [ENTER] to continue or ctrl-c to cancel adding it

gpg: keyring `/tmp/tmpc0jumrfc/secring.gpg' created
gpg: keyring `/tmp/tmpc0jumrfc/pubring.gpg' created
gpg: requesting key 1504888C from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
gpg: /tmp/tmpc0jumrfc/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created
gpg: key 1504888C: public key "Launchpad PPA for Mythbuntu Developers" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:?????????????? imported: 1? (RSA: 1)
OK
rsteff@Jetway:~$

So,

Where you said you ran
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythubuntu/0.28
Which is slightly different.

Right. My typo.

Now that that has worked, I'll try the apt-get install again. Do I need to remove the previously installed version first?

And what do I do about MySQL? Will the newer version be able to get into it and create the correct databases? Should I drop the database mythconverge before attempting the reinstall?

All this will have to happen when I next have some time, hopefully tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks for your help, especially pointing out my typo.

-- Regards, Dick Steffens
Re: New installation errors [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 5:34 PM Dick Steffens <dick@dicksteffens.com> wrote:

> On 09/12/2017 04:59 PM, Thomas Mashos wrote:
>
> On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 3:53 PM Dick Steffens <dick@dicksteffens.com>
> wrote:
>
> <...>
>>
>
>> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythubuntu/0.28
>> Cannot add PPA: 'ppa:-mythbuntu/ubuntu/0.28.'
>> ERROR: '-mythbuntu' user or team does not exist
>>
>> <...>
>>
>
> Can you run the command again and copy and paste the output. It's
> impossible (actually impossible, not hyperbole) to get the error message
> you said you got when running the command you said you ran. The command to
> add the 0.28 repository would be
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/0.28
>
>
> Here's the requested output:
>
> rsteff@Jetway:~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/0.28 | tee
> output.txt
> Released
> More info: https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu/+archive/ubuntu/0.28
> Press [ENTER] to continue or ctrl-c to cancel adding it
>
> gpg: keyring `/tmp/tmpc0jumrfc/secring.gpg' created
> gpg: keyring `/tmp/tmpc0jumrfc/pubring.gpg' created
> gpg: requesting key 1504888C from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
> gpg: /tmp/tmpc0jumrfc/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created
> gpg: key 1504888C: public key "Launchpad PPA for Mythbuntu Developers"
> imported
> gpg: Total number processed: 1
> gpg: imported: 1 (RSA: 1)
> OK
> rsteff@Jetway:~$
>
> So,
>
> Where you said you ran
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythubuntu/0.28
>
> Which is slightly different.
>
>
> Right. My typo.
>
> Now that that has worked, I'll try the apt-get install again. Do I need to
> remove the previously installed version first?
>
> And what do I do about MySQL? Will the newer version be able to get into
> it and create the correct databases? Should I drop the database
> mythconverge before attempting the reinstall?
>
> All this will have to happen when I next have some time, hopefully
> tomorrow afternoon.
>
> Thanks for your help, especially pointing out my typo.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dick Steffens
>
>
> _______________________________________________
>
>
We'd need some more info. What's the output of 'netstat -tulpn' and 'dpkg
-l | grep myth'

--
-Thomas
Re: New installation errors [ In reply to ]
On 09/13/2017 08:31 AM, Thomas Mashos wrote:

> We'd need some more info. What's the output of 'netstat -tulpn' and
> 'dpkg -l | grep myth'

rsteff@Jetway:~$ sudo netstat -tulpn
[sudo] password for rsteff:
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address
State PID/Program name
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:3306 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
936/mysqld
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:139 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
1646/smbd
tcp 0 0 127.0.1.1:53 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
1027/dnsmasq
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:631 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
2584/cupsd
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:445 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
1646/smbd
tcp6 0 0 :::139 :::* LISTEN 1646/smbd
tcp6 0 0 ::1:631 :::* LISTEN 2584/cupsd
tcp6 0 0 :::445 :::* LISTEN 1646/smbd
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:52606 0.0.0.0:*
781/avahi-daemon: r
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:55154 0.0.0.0:*
1027/dnsmasq
udp 0 0 127.0.1.1:53 0.0.0.0:*
1027/dnsmasq
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:68 0.0.0.0:*
1007/dhclient
udp 0 0 192.168.0.106:123
0.0.0.0:* 1228/ntpd
udp 0 0 127.0.0.1:123 0.0.0.0:*
1228/ntpd
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:123 0.0.0.0:*
1228/ntpd
udp 0 0 192.168.0.255:137
0.0.0.0:* 1599/nmbd
udp 0 0 192.168.0.106:137
0.0.0.0:* 1599/nmbd
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:137 0.0.0.0:*
1599/nmbd
udp 0 0 192.168.0.255:138
0.0.0.0:* 1599/nmbd
udp 0 0 192.168.0.106:138
0.0.0.0:* 1599/nmbd
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:138 0.0.0.0:*
1599/nmbd
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:631 0.0.0.0:*
2585/cups-browsed
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:5353 0.0.0.0:*
781/avahi-daemon: r
udp6 0 0 fe80::27e5:7f7b:ea2:123
:::* 1228/ntpd
udp6 0 0 ::1:123 :::* 1228/ntpd
udp6 0 0 :::123 :::* 1228/ntpd
udp6 0 0 :::51540 :::*
781/avahi-daemon: r
udp6 0 0 :::5353 :::*
781/avahi-daemon: r
rsteff@Jetway:~$

rsteff@Jetway:~$ dpkg -l | grep myth
ii libmyth-0.28-0 2:0.28.0+fixes.20160413.15cf421-0ubuntu2.16.04.1
amd64 Common library code for MythTV and add-on modules (runtime)
ii libmyth-python 2:0.28.0+fixes.20160413.15cf421-0ubuntu2.16.04.1 all
Python library to access some MythTV features
ii libmythes-1.2-0:amd64
2:1.2.4-1ubuntu3 amd64 simple thesaurus
library
ii libmythtv-perl 2:0.28.0+fixes.20160413.15cf421-0ubuntu2.16.04.1
all Perl library to access some MythTV features
ii mythes-en-us 1:5.1.0-1ubuntu2.2 all
English (USA) Thesaurus for LibreOffice
ii mythtv 2:0.28.0+fixes.20160413.15cf421-0ubuntu2.16.04.1 all Personal
video recorder application (client and server)
ii mythtv-backend 2:0.28.0+fixes.20160413.15cf421-0ubuntu2.16.04.1
amd64 Personal video recorder application (server)
ii mythtv-common 2:0.28.0+fixes.20160413.15cf421-0ubuntu2.16.04.1 amd64
Personal video recorder application (common data)
ii mythtv-database 2:0.28.0+fixes.20160413.15cf421-0ubuntu2.16.04.1 all
Personal video recorder application (database)
ii mythtv-dbg 2:0.28.0+fixes.20160413.15cf421-0ubuntu2.16.04.1 amd64
Debug symbols for mythtv packages
ii mythtv-frontend 2:0.28.0+fixes.20160413.15cf421-0ubuntu2.16.04.1
amd64 Personal video recorder application (client)
ii mythtv-transcode-utils
2:0.28.0+fixes.20160413.15cf421-0ubuntu2.16.04.1 amd64 Utilities used
for transcoding MythTV tasks
rsteff@Jetway:~$


--
Regards,

Dick Steffens

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: New installation errors [ In reply to ]
On 09/12/2017 03:54 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:
In MATE's menu I found "System > Administration > MythTV Backend Setup" and ran it. A terminal window opened and a number of things scrolled past before giving me the Country and Language screen. I selected United States, and English (United States), and Save.

That screen went away and "Database Configuration 1/2" appeared with the following error message:

"MythTV Could not connect to the database. Please verify your database settings b" [there's more to the line, but not on my screen]
"Required fields are marked with an asterisk (*)."

At this point I chose "Cancel."

I'm still not able to configure the backend. Is it possibly because I installed MySQL myself before installing MythTV? If so, do I need to create the database and user in MySQL? If so, where can I find instructions on what to do?

Thanks.

-- Regards, Dick Steffens
Re: New installation errors [ In reply to ]
On 09/16/2017 06:39 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:
> I'm still not able to configure the backend. Is it possibly because I
> installed MySQL myself before installing MythTV? If so, do I need to
> create the database and user in MySQL? If so, where can I find
> instructions on what to do?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dick Steffens
>
>
If you installed from a package such as the ubuntu repository it should
have set up the database user id for you. In case it did not, or you
installed manually, the instructions are here
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Build_from_Source#MythTV_Database_Setup

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: New installation errors [ In reply to ]
On 09/16/2017 05:14 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:
>
>
> On 09/16/2017 06:39 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:
>> I'm still not able to configure the backend. Is it possibly because I
>> installed MySQL myself before installing MythTV? If so, do I need to
>> create the database and user in MySQL? If so, where can I find
>> instructions on what to do?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> <--->
> If you installed from a package such as the ubuntu repository it
> should have set up the database user id for you.

Yes, I did, but no, it did not.

> In case it did not, or you installed manually, the instructions are here
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Build_from_Source#MythTV_Database_Setup
> mysql -u root -p
> create database mythconverg;

There already was a mythconverg database. See below.

> create user 'mythtv'@'%' identified by 'mythtv';

I got an error message (now lost) when I tried this. I ran

select user, host from mysql.user;

and found that was a mythtv user at host %. I was not able to set a password for it
(as per a couple of lines down in the instructions), nor was I able to create user mythtv @ localhost, or set a password for it.
Probably being too clever, I dropped and recreated database mythconverg, and then
dropped user mythtv and recreated it. Then I was able to finish the rest of this set of instructions.

> create user 'mythtv'@'localhost' identified by 'mythtv';
> set password for 'mythtv'@'%' = password('mythtv');
> set password for 'mythtv'@'localhost' = password('mythtv');
> connect mythconverg;
> grant all privileges on *.* to 'mythtv'@'%' with grant option;
> grant all privileges on *.* to 'mythtv'@'localhost' with grant option;
> flush privileges;
> exit;

I ran

mysql_tzinfo_to_sql /usr/share/zoneinfo | mysql -u root -p mysql

It appeared to run normally, with the noted warnings seen on the
instructions.

Next I ran mythbackend from the terminal. Lots of errors related to
mythconverg being empty. I'm guessing that I shouldn't have dropped it
and recreated it. An example error message is

Database error was:

Table 'mythconverg.settings' doesn't exist


Where can I find the instructions for creating the innards of mythconverg?

Or, is there something else I need to do?

Thanks for your help.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: New installation errors [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 18:16:21 -0700, you wrote:

>On 09/16/2017 05:14 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>
>>
>> On 09/16/2017 06:39 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:
>>> I'm still not able to configure the backend. Is it possibly because I
>>> installed MySQL myself before installing MythTV? If so, do I need to
>>> create the database and user in MySQL? If so, where can I find
>>> instructions on what to do?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>> <--->
>> If you installed from a package such as the ubuntu repository it
>> should have set up the database user id for you.
>
>Yes, I did, but no, it did not.
>
>> In case it did not, or you installed manually, the instructions are here
>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Build_from_Source#MythTV_Database_Setup
>> mysql -u root -p
>> create database mythconverg;
>
>There already was a mythconverg database. See below.
>
>> create user 'mythtv'@'%' identified by 'mythtv';
>
>I got an error message (now lost) when I tried this. I ran
>
>select user, host from mysql.user;
>
>and found that was a mythtv user at host %. I was not able to set a password for it
>(as per a couple of lines down in the instructions), nor was I able to create user mythtv @ localhost, or set a password for it.
>Probably being too clever, I dropped and recreated database mythconverg, and then
>dropped user mythtv and recreated it. Then I was able to finish the rest of this set of instructions.
>
>> create user 'mythtv'@'localhost' identified by 'mythtv';
>> set password for 'mythtv'@'%' = password('mythtv');
>> set password for 'mythtv'@'localhost' = password('mythtv');
>> connect mythconverg;
>> grant all privileges on *.* to 'mythtv'@'%' with grant option;
>> grant all privileges on *.* to 'mythtv'@'localhost' with grant option;
>> flush privileges;
>> exit;
>
>I ran
>
>mysql_tzinfo_to_sql /usr/share/zoneinfo | mysql -u root -p mysql
>
>It appeared to run normally, with the noted warnings seen on the
>instructions.
>
>Next I ran mythbackend from the terminal. Lots of errors related to
>mythconverg being empty. I'm guessing that I shouldn't have dropped it
>and recreated it. An example error message is
>
>Database error was:
>
>Table 'mythconverg.settings' doesn't exist
>
>
>Where can I find the instructions for creating the innards of mythconverg?
>
>Or, is there something else I need to do?
>
>Thanks for your help.

I believe that all you need to do is to run mythtv-setup instead of
mythbackend - it should create all the tables if they are not there.
Or you can restore an old backup database, and then let mythtv-setup
upgrade it to the latest schema.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: New installation errors [ In reply to ]
On 09/16/2017 07:56 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 18:16:21 -0700, you wrote:
>
>> <...>
>>
>> Where can I find the instructions for creating the innards of
>> mythconverg?
>> Or, is there something else I need to do?
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
> I believe that all you need to do is to run mythtv-setup instead of
> mythbackend - it should create all the tables if they are not there.

It looks like that worked. I'll still need to set up the connection to
Schedules Direct, but that will have to wait until tomorrow afternoon.

> Or you can restore an old backup database, and then let mythtv-setup
> upgrade it to the latest schema.

I do have one another machine running MythTV. I'll try to figure out how
to do the backup from
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore and see how well
that works.

Thanks for the help.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: New installation errors [ In reply to ]
On 09/16/2017 10:12 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:
> On 09/16/2017 07:56 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>
> <...>
>
>> Or you can restore an old backup database, and then let mythtv-setup
>> upgrade it to the latest schema.
>
> I do have one another machine running MythTV. I'll try to figure out
> how to do the backup from
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore and see how
> well that works.

Some success. I successfully restored a backup from my older Myth
machine. And I saw it convert from the old schema to the new one.
mythfilldatabase runs with some errors (too small print to read) but it
finished.

However, when I run MythTV Frontend from the Applications/Sound and
Video menu, it shows up in the task bar, but nothing else happens, and
the mouse cursor disappears. Of course, as I'm typing this, (on a
different machine) the front end did show up, but had an error message
about not being able to connect to ... (the message went away). The only
way forward is to open a terminal window, run ps ax | grep myth, and
kill the two processes shown.

Also, when I try to navigate in Firefox to http://localhost:6544 I'm
told, "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at
localhost:6544."

Thoughts on where I should go from here will be appreciated.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: New installation errors [ In reply to ]
On 18 September 2017 10:08:52 am Dick Steffens <dick@dicksteffens.com> wrote:

> On 09/16/2017 10:12 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:
>> On 09/16/2017 07:56 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>>
>> <...>
>>
>>> Or you can restore an old backup database, and then let mythtv-setup
>>> upgrade it to the latest schema.
>>
>> I do have one another machine running MythTV. I'll try to figure out
>> how to do the backup from
>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore and see how
>> well that works.
>
> Some success. I successfully restored a backup from my older Myth
> machine. And I saw it convert from the old schema to the new one.
> mythfilldatabase runs with some errors (too small print to read) but it
> finished.
>
> However, when I run MythTV Frontend from the Applications/Sound and
> Video menu, it shows up in the task bar, but nothing else happens, and
> the mouse cursor disappears. Of course, as I'm typing this, (on a
> different machine) the front end did show up, but had an error message
> about not being able to connect to ... (the message went away). The only
> way forward is to open a terminal window, run ps ax | grep myth, and
> kill the two processes shown.
>
> Also, when I try to navigate in Firefox to http://localhost:6544 I'm
> told, "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at
> localhost:6544."
>
> Thoughts on where I should go from here will be appreciated.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dick Steffens
>

Are you sure the delay is not just mythfrontend upgrading the plugins?
Happens on first run.


_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: New installation errors [ In reply to ]
On 09/17/2017 08:24 PM, Mark Perkins wrote:
> On 18 September 2017 10:08:52 am Dick Steffens <dick@dicksteffens.com> wrote:
>
>> On 09/16/2017 10:12 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:
>>> On 09/16/2017 07:56 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>>>
>>> <...>
>>>
>>>> Or you can restore an old backup database, and then let mythtv-setup
>>>> upgrade it to the latest schema.
>>> I do have one another machine running MythTV. I'll try to figure out
>>> how to do the backup from
>>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore and see how
>>> well that works.
>> Some success. I successfully restored a backup from my older Myth
>> machine. And I saw it convert from the old schema to the new one.
>> mythfilldatabase runs with some errors (too small print to read) but it
>> finished.
>>
>> However, when I run MythTV Frontend from the Applications/Sound and
>> Video menu, it shows up in the task bar, but nothing else happens, and
>> the mouse cursor disappears. Of course, as I'm typing this, (on a
>> different machine) the front end did show up, but had an error message
>> about not being able to connect to ... (the message went away). The only
>> way forward is to open a terminal window, run ps ax | grep myth, and
>> kill the two processes shown.
>>
>> Also, when I try to navigate in Firefox to http://localhost:6544 I'm
>> told, "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at
>> localhost:6544."
>>
>> Thoughts on where I should go from here will be appreciated.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Dick Steffens
>>
> Are you sure the delay is not just mythfrontend upgrading the plugins?
> Happens on first run.

I just tried launching it again. After two and a half minutes I got the
error message. It was something about could not connect to the backend
and wondering if it is running. It looks like the backend server may not
be running because when I went to the terminal window to shut down the
front end only two myth front end process were running,
/usr/bin/mythfrontend --service, and /usr/bin/mythfrontend.real, and no
back end process. The error message popped up again on the front end.
"Could not connect to master" and MythContext. It also asked if the IP
address set for it in myth setup is correct. I don't remember changing
an IP address in myth-setup, but I do remember changing the second entry
on the relevant page of the backend setup from 127.0.0.1 to
192.168.0.106, which is the address assigned to this box by my router
(set to always assign that IP address to that box).

I ran mythtvfrontend from a terminal and saw a typo. I ran myth-setup
and fixed the typo. I had 196.168.0.106 instead of 192.196.0.106. But,
when I finished and exited, and it asked about starting the backend, I
saw this:

rsteff@Jetway:~$ mythtv-setup
mysql: [Warning] Using a password on the command line interface can be
insecure.
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost (using
password: YES)
/usr/bin/mythtv-setup: 42: /usr/bin/mythtv-setup: status: not found
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is
discouraged.
[FAIL] Starting mythtv-backend (via systemctl): mythtv-backend.service
failed!
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is
discouraged.
rsteff@Jetway:~$

There must be something else I need to do.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: New installation errors [ In reply to ]
On 09/18/2017 12:12 AM, Dick Steffens wrote:
...
> I do remember changing the *second* entry on the relevant page of the backend setup from 127.0.0.1 to 192.168.0.106
...

I don't use the Control Center, but in mythtv-setup, there are two places
where the address is to be changed. Both must match or the backend will
be considered to be a remote backend (for 0.28 and earlier.)

--
Bill
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: New installation errors [ In reply to ]
On 09/18/2017 09:12 AM, Bill Meek wrote:
> On 09/18/2017 12:12 AM, Dick Steffens wrote:
> ...
>> I do remember changing the *second* entry on the relevant page of the
>> backend setup from 127.0.0.1 to 192.168.0.106
> ...
>
> I don't use the Control Center, but in mythtv-setup, there are two places
> where the address is to be changed. Both must match or the backend will
> be considered to be a remote backend (for 0.28 and earlier.)
>

On the page, "Host Address Backend Setup" with two sections. The first
section is Local Backend (Jetway), and the first box is IPv4 address. It
is set to 127.0.0.1. I can get to that box, but I can't change it.

The second box is IPv6 address, which is set to ::1. If that needs to
change, I have no idea what to change it to.

Next comes a check box labeled "Listen on Link-Local addresses" It is
checked.

The next line has Port: 6542 and Status port: 6544

The next section is labeled "Master Backend" This is where I changed the
IP address from 127.0.0.1 to 192.168.0.106, the IP address of this
machine. It also has a box, Port, with 6543.

Are those the two IP addresses you say must match?


--
Regards,

Dick Steffens

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: New installation errors [ In reply to ]
On 19 September 2017 8:35:51 am Dick Steffens <dick@dicksteffens.com> wrote:

> On 09/18/2017 09:12 AM, Bill Meek wrote:
>> On 09/18/2017 12:12 AM, Dick Steffens wrote:
>> ...
>>> I do remember changing the *second* entry on the relevant page of the
>>> backend setup from 127.0.0.1 to 192.168.0.106
>> ...
>>
>> I don't use the Control Center, but in mythtv-setup, there are two places
>> where the address is to be changed. Both must match or the backend will
>> be considered to be a remote backend (for 0.28 and earlier.)
>>
>
> On the page, "Host Address Backend Setup" with two sections. The first
> section is Local Backend (Jetway), and the first box is IPv4 address. It
> is set to 127.0.0.1. I can get to that box, but I can't change it.
>
> The second box is IPv6 address, which is set to ::1. If that needs to
> change, I have no idea what to change it to.
>
> Next comes a check box labeled "Listen on Link-Local addresses" It is
> checked.
>
> The next line has Port: 6542 and Status port: 6544
>
> The next section is labeled "Master Backend" This is where I changed the
> IP address from 127.0.0.1 to 192.168.0.106, the IP address of this
> machine. It also has a box, Port, with 6543.
>
> Are those the two IP addresses you say must match?
>
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dick Steffens
>

Yes. The first 127.0.0.1 needs to be changed to 192.168.0.106 or the last
192.168.0.106 needs to change to 127.0.0.1 otherwise it will load as a slave.

The first box IIRC is a drop down box not a manual entry box. If
192.168.0.106 is not available for selection in that box you may have a
problem with your network setup?

I assume your first port = 6542 above is a typo and is actually 6543?


_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: New installation errors [ In reply to ]
On Sep 18, 2017 8:48 PM, "Mark Perkins" <perkins1724@hotmail.com> wrote:

On 19 September 2017 8:35:51 am Dick Steffens <dick@dicksteffens.com> wrote:

> On 09/18/2017 09:12 AM, Bill Meek wrote:
>> On 09/18/2017 12:12 AM, Dick Steffens wrote:
>> ...
>>> I do remember changing the *second* entry on the relevant page of the
>>> backend setup from 127.0.0.1 to 192.168.0.106
>> ...
>>
>> I don't use the Control Center, but in mythtv-setup, there are two places
>> where the address is to be changed. Both must match or the backend will
>> be considered to be a remote backend (for 0.28 and earlier.)
>>
>
> On the page, "Host Address Backend Setup" with two sections. The first
> section is Local Backend (Jetway), and the first box is IPv4 address. It
> is set to 127.0.0.1. I can get to that box, but I can't change it.
>
> The second box is IPv6 address, which is set to ::1. If that needs to
> change, I have no idea what to change it to.
>
> Next comes a check box labeled "Listen on Link-Local addresses" It is
> checked.
>
> The next line has Port: 6542 and Status port: 6544
>
> The next section is labeled "Master Backend" This is where I changed the
> IP address from 127.0.0.1 to 192.168.0.106, the IP address of this
> machine. It also has a box, Port, with 6543.
>
> Are those the two IP addresses you say must match?
>
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dick Steffens
>

Yes. The first 127.0.0.1 needs to be changed to 192.168.0.106 or the last
192.168.0.106 needs to change to 127.0.0.1 otherwise it will load as a
slave.

The first box IIRC is a drop down box not a manual entry box. If
192.168.0.106 is not available for selection in that box you may have a
problem with your network setup?

I assume your first port = 6542 above is a typo and is actually 6543?


In the Steppes theme the IPv4/6 values can be changed by arrow left or
right when highlighted.



_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: New installation errors [ In reply to ]
On 09/18/2017 05:46 PM, Mark Perkins wrote:
On 19 September 2017 8:35:51 am Dick Steffens <dick@dicksteffens.com> wrote:


<...>
On the page, "Host Address Backend Setup" with two sections. The first
section is Local Backend (Jetway), and the first box is IPv4 address. It
is set to 127.0.0.1. I can get to that box, but I can't change it.

The second box is IPv6 address, which is set to ::1. If that needs to
change, I have no idea what to change it to.

Next comes a check box? labeled "Listen on Link-Local addresses" It is
checked.

The next line has Port: 6542 and Status port: 6544

The next section is labeled "Master Backend" This is where I changed the
IP address from 127.0.0.1 to 192.168.0.106, the IP address of this
machine. It also has a box, Port, with 6543.

Are those the two IP addresses you say must match?

On 09/18/2017 09:12 AM, Bill Meek wrote:


Yes. The first 127.0.0.1 needs to be changed to 192.168.0.106 or the last
192.168.0.106 needs to change to 127.0.0.1 otherwise it will load as a slave.

The first box IIRC is a drop down box not a manual entry box. If
192.168.0.106 is not available for selection in that box you may have a
problem with your network setup?

I never noticed the arrow on the right of the box. Indeed, 192.168.0.106 was in there, and I selected it.

I assume your first port = 6542 above is a typo and is actually 6543?

Yes. I'm copying by eyeball from the screen on the new Myth machine to my email machine. That's not the first time I've had this problem. :-)

Mythtv-setup exited with errors. The same ones reported before.

rsteff@Jetway:~$ mythtv-setup
mysql: [Warning] Using a password on the command line interface can be insecure.
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost (using password: YES)
/usr/bin/mythtv-setup: 42: /usr/bin/mythtv-setup: status: not found
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
[FAIL] Starting mythtv-backend (via systemctl): mythtv-backend.service failed!
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
rsteff@Jetway:~$

Should I be using the mythtv password somewhere when invoking mythtv-setup? And is that password mythtv?

--?
Regards,

Dick Steffens



-- Regards, Dick Steffens
Re: New installation errors [ In reply to ]
On 09/19/2017 05:13 AM, Daryl McDonald wrote:

>
> In the Steppes theme the IPv4/6 values can be changed by arrow left or
> right when highlighted.
>

I'll try that the next time. This time I was able to use the mouse to
make the selection.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: New installation errors [ In reply to ]
I have time to work on this again. I'm using ssh -X to log on to the
MythTV machine named Jetway. Here's what I get when I try to run
mythtv-setup:

rsteff@Jetway:~$ mythtv-setup
mysql: [Warning] Using a password on the command line interface can be
insecure.
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using
password: YES)
/usr/bin/mythtv-setup: 42: /usr/bin/mythtv-setup: status: not found
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is
discouraged.
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is
discouraged.
rsteff@Jetway:~$ mythtv-setup mythtv
mysql: [Warning] Using a password on the command line interface can be
insecure.
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using
password: YES)
/usr/bin/mythtv-setup: 42: /usr/bin/mythtv-setup: status: not found
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is
discouraged.
GNOME_SUDO_PASS
sudo: 1 incorrect password attempt
[ ok ] Starting mythtv-backend (via systemctl): mythtv-backend.service.
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is
discouraged.
rsteff@Jetway:~$

Assuming I need to supply a password I tried:

rsteff@Jetway:~$ mythtv-setup mythtv
mysql: [Warning] Using a password on the command line interface can be
insecure.
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using
password: YES)
/usr/bin/mythtv-setup: 42: /usr/bin/mythtv-setup: status: not found
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is
discouraged.
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is
discouraged.
rsteff@Jetway:~$

A dialog box popped up asking if I wanted to start the mythtv backend? I
said no.
A dialog box popped up asking if I wanted to run mythfilldatabase? I
said no.

Using the mysql monitor I looked at the user table. Should there be a
user mythtv?

mysql> select username from users;
+----------+
| username |
+----------+
| admin |
+----------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql>

I'm at a loss, here. What do I do next?

Does the fact that I'm using Ubuntu MATE make any difference?

Thanks.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: New installation errors [ In reply to ]
On 09/23/2017 07:55 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:
> I have time to work on this again. I'm using ssh -X to log on to the MythTV machine named Jetway. Here's what I get when I try to run mythtv-setup:
>
> rsteff@Jetway:~$ mythtv-setup
> mysql: [Warning] Using a password on the command line interface can be insecure.
> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
> /usr/bin/mythtv-setup: 42: /usr/bin/mythtv-setup: status: not found
> libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
> libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
> Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
> Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
> rsteff@Jetway:~$ mythtv-setup mythtv
> mysql: [Warning] Using a password on the command line interface can be insecure.
> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
> /usr/bin/mythtv-setup: 42: /usr/bin/mythtv-setup: status: not found
> Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
> GNOME_SUDO_PASS
> sudo: 1 incorrect password attempt
> [ ok ] Starting mythtv-backend (via systemctl): mythtv-backend.service.
> Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
> rsteff@Jetway:~$
>
> Assuming I need to supply a password I tried:
>
> rsteff@Jetway:~$ mythtv-setup mythtv
> mysql: [Warning] Using a password on the command line interface can be insecure.
> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
> /usr/bin/mythtv-setup: 42: /usr/bin/mythtv-setup: status: not found
> Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
> Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
> rsteff@Jetway:~$
>
> A dialog box popped up asking if I wanted to start the mythtv backend? I said no.
> A dialog box popped up asking if I wanted to run mythfilldatabase? I said no.
>
> Using the mysql monitor I looked at the user table. Should there be a user mythtv?

Yes, but not in that DB. It's in the mysql DB. As your root mysql
user:

USE mysql;
SELECT Host,User,Password FROM user WHERE User='mythtv' ORDER BY Host,User;

> mysql> select username from users;
> +----------+
> | username |
> +----------+
> | admin    |
> +----------+
> 1 row in set (0.00 sec)
>
> mysql>
>
> I'm at a loss, here. What do I do next?

If the backend updated 'til one DBSchemaVer, then failed, you know
that it was able to connect to the DB ok. Be sure the user running
mythtv-setup has the same credentials e.g. config.xml. It appears
as if the user in the above was mythtv, but I don't know that it
was using the proper $HOME. A full mythtv-setup log will tell you.

Just look for a line containing: Using configuration directory =

You can also try running mythtv-setup.real . That should bypass
some of the Gtk messages above.

> Does the fact that I'm using Ubuntu MATE make any difference?


--
Bill
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org