would not be satisfactory because the deinterlacing support is lacking.

Cheers,
Paul.
Re: Alternative to zbox for a frontend [ In reply to ]
On 09/09/2017 10:42 AM, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> I've been using zboxs as frontends for some time now, ones with low
> power CPUs and nVidia graphics. They don't seem to last very well
> before dying, but while they work they work well. I think my current
> one is showing signs of dying, and now I look around and don't see any
> with nVidia graphics other than overly powerful and expensive ones.
> Any one know of a good alternative? I'm assuming that moving to Intel
> graphics would not be satisfactory because the deinterlacing support
> is lacking.
>
> Cheers,
> Paul.

Raspberry pi 3 ? You can't go far wrong for $50.

Peter
Re: Alternative to zbox for a frontend [ In reply to ]

Re: Alternative to zbox for a frontend [ In reply to ]
On 09/09/2017 07:14 PM, Mark Perkins wrote:
> I'm in similar position to OP. 2x ZBox , work well but fans getting
> increasingly noisy even when cleaned and looking for a third FE anyway.
> Just ordered a RPi3 for $USD33 delivered (slow). Board only no case or
> power supply.
Yes - I figure once you add a power supply, case, and SD card you are
around $50.
Re: Alternative to zbox for a frontend [ In reply to ]
Hoi Peter,

Sunday, September 10, 2017, 1:22:29 AM, you wrote:

> On 09/09/2017 07:14 PM, Mark Perkins wrote:
>> I'm in similar position to OP. 2x ZBox , work well but fans getting
>> increasingly noisy even when cleaned and looking for a third FE anyway.
>> Just ordered a RPi3 for $USD33 delivered (slow). Board only no case or
>> power supply.
> Yes - I figure once you add a power supply, case, and SD card you are
> around $50.

They are really nice little machines AND you can choose how to use
them. Unlike android devices, which have comparable power. It only
asks a little more investment. Android is basically out of the box.

Tot mails,
Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop
Het eeuwige dilemma

De lerende Mens

Re: Alternative to zbox for a frontend [ In reply to ]
Zotac with Radian graphics is also an option if you can find one.

Newegg has this Nvidia unit:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0AJ61W8003

Re: Alternative to zbox for a frontend [ In reply to ]
Interesting. Do you mean the external transformer, or the the part
inside the box that presumably producess stable 5v, 12v and whatever
else is needed?

P.

Re: Alternative to zbox for a frontend [ In reply to ]
On 09/09/2017 16:49, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 09/09/2017 10:42 AM, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>> I've been using zboxs as frontends for some time now, ones with low
>> power CPUs and nVidia graphics. They don't seem to last very well
>> before dying, but while they work they work well. I think my current
>> one is showing signs of dying, and now I look around and don't see any
>> with nVidia graphics other than overly powerful and expensive ones.
>> Any one know of a good alternative? I'm assuming that moving to Intel
>> graphics would not be satisfactory because the deinterlacing support
>> is lacking.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>     Paul.
>
> Raspberry pi 3 ? You can't go far wrong for $50.

So can the pi 3 decode and deinterlace 1050i content running under
Mythfrontend?

P.
Re: Alternative to zbox for a frontend [ In reply to ]
On 10/09/2017 14:03, Bob Wiegand wrote:
> Zotac with Radian graphics is also an option if you can find one.

I thought I'd read that Mythfrontend didn't yet have support for
driving hardware deinterlacing with Radian graphics. Did i misread,
or has that changed?

> Newegg has this Nvidia unit:
> https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0AJ61W8003

I think that's what I have now, but I'm struggling to find a new
one here in the UK.

P.
Re: Alternative to zbox for a frontend [ In reply to ]
On 09/10/2017 10:47 AM, Paul Gardiner wrote:

> On 09/09/2017 16:49, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>

>> On 09/09/2017 10:42 AM, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>>> I've been using zboxs as frontends for some time now, ones with low
>>> power CPUs and nVidia graphics. They don't seem to last very well
>>> before dying, but while they work they work well. I think my current
>>> one is showing signs of dying, and now I look around and don't see
>>> any with nVidia graphics other than overly powerful and expensive
>>> ones. Any one know of a good alternative? I'm assuming that moving
>>> to Intel graphics would not be satisfactory because the
>>> deinterlacing support is lacking.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Paul.
>>
>> Raspberry pi 3 ? You can't go far wrong for $50.
>
> So can the pi 3 decode and deinterlace 1050i content running under
> Mythfrontend?
>
> P.
1080i content under mythfrontend - yes. I use that all the time.
Hardware decoding and hardware advanced deinterlace. You need to buy a
$2 license for MPEG2 and follow the setup instructions for raspberry pi
in the mythtv wiki.
Re: Alternative to zbox for a frontend [ In reply to ]
On 10/09/2017 16:45, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 09/10/2017 10:47 AM, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>>

>> On 09/09/2017 16:49, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>>

>>> Raspberry pi 3 ? You can't go far wrong for $50.
>>
>> So can the pi 3 decode and deinterlace 1050i content running under
>> Mythfrontend?
>>
>> P.
> 1080i content under mythfrontend - yes. I use that all the time.
> Hardware decoding and hardware advanced deinterlace. You need to buy a
> $2 license for MPEG2 and follow the setup instructions for raspberry pi
> in the mythtv wiki.

Oh astounding! From the wiki, it looks like I might get away with using
the pi 2 I was given as a present some time ago and for which until now
I never found a use.
Re: Alternative to zbox for a frontend [ In reply to ]
On 09/10/2017 01:30 PM, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> Oh astounding! From the wiki, it looks like I might get away with
> using the pi 2 I was given as a present some time ago and for which
> until now I never found a use.

Yes - Pi 2 works well. Just make sure to follow the wiki
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi especially the "Performance"
section for best results.

Peter

Re: Alternative to zbox for a frontend [ In reply to ]
On 10/09/2017 18:38, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 09/10/2017 01:30 PM, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>> Oh astounding! From the wiki, it looks like I might get away with
>> using the pi 2 I was given as a present some time ago and for which
>> until now I never found a use.
>
> Yes - Pi 2 works well. Just make sure to follow the wiki
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi especially the "Performance"
> section for best results.

And I've just found a 32GB Micro SD in an old now unused phone. This
project is going to be rediculously cheap. :-)
Re: Alternative to zbox for a frontend [ In reply to ]
On 10/09/2017 18:38, Peter Bennett wrote:
> On 09/10/2017 01:30 PM, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>> Oh astounding! From the wiki, it looks like I might get away with
>> using the pi 2 I was given as a present some time ago and for which
>> until now I never found a use.
>
> Yes - Pi 2 works well. Just make sure to follow the wiki
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi especially the "Performance"
> section for best results.

Oh, one feature I wonder whether I might lose compared to my current use
of nVidia: can the Pi-based setup adjust the graphics chip output fps to
match the video fps?
Re: Alternative to zbox for a frontend [ In reply to ]
On 9/10/2017 11:45 AM, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 09/10/2017 10:47 AM, Paul Gardiner wrote:

>>> Raspberry pi 3 ? You can't go far wrong for $50.
>>
>> So can the pi 3 decode and deinterlace 1050i content running under
>> Mythfrontend?
>>
>> P.
> 1080i content under mythfrontend - yes. I use that all the time.
> Hardware decoding and hardware advanced deinterlace. You need to buy a
> $2 license for MPEG2 and follow the setup instructions for raspberry
> pi in the mythtv wiki.
Two quick Q's:
Will a new RPI install be so super, super fussy about what version of
mythtv 28 backend is running?
My last RPI FE install would not connect to anything! on my lan.
It would only show the same stuff that is already built into the TV, no
myth recordings at all from anything.
I have four different NAS boxes that I can put up online.
VLC and my Asus streamer can work with any/all of them with no problems.
RPI mythfe, my BlueRay player, and the KODI variants are completely
blind to all of them.

All of this security stuff is so wonderful... at protecting me from my
own stuff.

Will standard Rasbian be OK or is lite better?

Thanks,
Bert
Re: Alternative to zbox for a frontend [ In reply to ]
On 09/10/2017 02:41 PM, Bert Haskins wrote:
> Two quick Q's:
> Will a new RPI install be so super, super fussy about what version of
> mythtv 28 backend is running?
Mythfrontend will work with mythbackend as long as the major versions
match. For example v0.28.x will work with v0.28.y. v29.x will work with
v29.y.
> My last RPI FE install would not connect to anything! on my lan.
> It would only show the same stuff that is already built into the TV,
> no myth recordings at all from anything.
There is nothing different about mythfrontend communications on
Raspberry pi. As long as you have an ethernet connection and the correct
settings in .mythtv/config.xml it should connect. Are you sure you are
talking about mythtv frontend and not Kodi?
> I have four different NAS boxes that I can put up online.
> VLC and my Asus streamer can work with any/all of them with no problems.
> RPI mythfe, my BlueRay player, and the KODI variants are completely
> blind to all of them.

I think you may be talking about something different. MythTV frontend
primarily communicates with a MythTV backend and not with NAS boxes. Of
course it could communicate with NAS boxes if you set them up
appropriately in Raspbian and use them for accessing video content.
> All of this security stuff is so wonderful... at protecting me from my
> own stuff.
>
> Will standard Rasbian be OK or is lite better?

I recommend standard Raspbian. I have never tested with Lite. See the
wiki at https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi for detailed instructions.

Re: Alternative to zbox for a frontend [ In reply to ]
On 10/09/2017 18:38, Peter Bennett wrote:
> On 09/10/2017 01:30 PM, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>> Oh astounding! From the wiki, it looks like I might get away with
>> using the pi 2 I was given as a present some time ago and for which
>> until now I never found a use.
>
> Yes - Pi 2 works well. Just make sure to follow the wiki
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi especially the "Performance"
> section for best results.

I'm amazed how well this works - tiny little, silent, cool running
device giving really high quality results! :-)

There is potentially a showstopper for me. As I feared there looks to be
no way to swap screen mode to match the video fps, or at least nothing
that works via mythfrontend's usual mechanism. I'm in the UK so most of
my content is 1080i25, but I also have recordings in 24p. I imagine I
could fiddle with the X config and get it to drive my TV at 1080p50, but
then the 24p stuff will be glitchy. Is there a workaround - like adding
some extra menu options to mythfrontend and wire them through to some
way of changing screen mode?

Cheers,
Paul.
Re: Alternative to zbox for a frontend [ In reply to ]
On 09/12/2017 06:10 AM, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> I'm amazed how well this works - tiny little, silent, cool running
> device giving really high quality results! :-)
>
> There is potentially a showstopper for me. As I feared there looks to
> be no way to swap screen mode to match the video fps, or at least
> nothing that works via mythfrontend's usual mechanism. I'm in the UK
> so most of my content is 1080i25, but I also have recordings in 24p. I
> imagine I could fiddle with the X config and get it to drive my TV at
> 1080p50, but then the 24p stuff will be glitchy. Is there a workaround
> - like adding some extra menu options to mythfrontend and wire them
> through to some way of changing screen mode?
I don't think that will be possible with the Raspberry Pi. I believe the
support for xrandr is minimal.

I have never used separate modes for videos on any frontend, even with
full size frontend machines. It just runs at whatever mode is being
supported and everything looks fine to me. Perhaps you can explain why
mode switching is important. What does that do for the picture? What
sort of "glitchy" do you experience?

My content is sometimes at 24 fps and sometimes at 30 fps and I think
the TV runs at 30 or 60, but I have not checked.

Peter

Re: Alternative to zbox for a frontend [ In reply to ]
On 12/09/2017 15:59, Peter Bennett wrote:
> On 09/12/2017 06:10 AM, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>> I'm amazed how well this works - tiny little, silent, cool running
>> device giving really high quality results! :-)
>>
>> There is potentially a showstopper for me. As I feared there looks to
>> be no way to swap screen mode to match the video fps, or at least
>> nothing that works via mythfrontend's usual mechanism. I'm in the UK
>> so most of my content is 1080i25, but I also have recordings in 24p. I
>> imagine I could fiddle with the X config and get it to drive my TV at
>> 1080p50, but then the 24p stuff will be glitchy. Is there a workaround
>> - like adding some extra menu options to mythfrontend and wire them
>> through to some way of changing screen mode?
> I don't think that will be possible with the Raspberry Pi. I believe the
> support for xrandr is minimal.
>
> I have never used separate modes for videos on any frontend, even with
> full size frontend machines. It just runs at whatever mode is being
> supported and everything looks fine to me. Perhaps you can explain why
> mode switching is important. What does that do for the picture? What
> sort of "glitchy" do you experience?
>
> My content is sometimes at 24 fps and sometimes at 30 fps and I think
> the TV runs at 30 or 60, but I have not checked.

Yeah, it's not so important in the US: if you drive your TV at 60fps
then 30p content will be perfect and 24p will be not quite right but
perfectly acceptible. But 25p content will show a sort of hardness
to the motion (difficult to describe but very noticable), particularly
when there's a long slow pan of the camera. And if you have loads
of 25p content and you drive the tv at 50p then 24p content will show
a slight tick once per second.

24p content running with a 60p refresh rate is so close to right that
I think you'd struggle to see any problem. I'd recommend you don't
look for it, because once you see it you can never unsee it. :-)

Cheers,
Paul.
Re: Alternative to zbox for a frontend [ In reply to ]
Peter... for optimal quality it always pays to match the frame rate of the
display to the frame rate of the content. Consider this scenarios:

Content 24fps, Display 30fps: How are we going to display a frame for
1/24th of a second, on a set that refreshes every 1/30 of a second. All we
can do is display 4 frames for 1/30th of a second, then create a new frame
by displaying that 4th frame again. Keep doing this and you create 6
frames every second that aren't in the source material, giving you 30fps.

So what does adding frames like this do to the quality... not much. It's
imperceptible to most people... however it does make a film feel less "film
like". 25fps is just barely within the "continuity of motion" threshold
that television/film depend on; the film almost seems to flicker, and it
adds a bit of a voyeuristic feeling for the audience. When you smooth that
out, by bumping up the frame rate it has a notable unconscious effect.

Just like having your colors properly calibrated, your lighting just right,
and your sound system tweaked... having your display running at the proper
framerate for the content enhances the experience. Sure you can enjoy a
film with glare from a window, using tinny tv speakers, and a crappy tv
horrible colors... but your not experiencing it the way the director
intended, and you may not "feel" it the way you may have otherwise.

Re: Alternative to zbox for a frontend [ In reply to ]
On 09/12/2017 11:51 AM, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> Yeah, it's not so important in the US: if you drive your TV at 60fps
> then 30p content will be perfect and 24p will be not quite right but
> perfectly acceptible. But 25p content will show a sort of hardness
> to the motion (difficult to describe but very noticable), particularly
> when there's a long slow pan of the camera. And if you have loads
> of 25p content and you drive the tv at 50p then 24p content will show
> a slight tick once per second.
>
> 24p content running with a 60p refresh rate is so close to right that
> I think you'd struggle to see any problem. I'd recommend you don't
> look for it, because once you see it you can never unsee it. :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Paul.

I checked my big TV and it is running at 60, so maybe, as you say, it is
not important in my case. Also the fps seems to switch between 30 and 24
during a recording, so it may actually be better if the TV stays at 60
rather than switching to 30 and then encountering parts of the show that
are at 24.

Since the Raspberry Pi was developed in the UK, you would think it would
be suited to the UK mode of TV and movies.

I have not looked into it but I think that changing the video mode may
require changing the config.txt and rebooting. If you figure out
something that can be built into MythTV let me know.

Peter
Re: Alternative to zbox for a frontend [ In reply to ]
On 12/09/17 19:31, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 09/12/2017 11:51 AM, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>> Yeah, it's not so important in the US: if you drive your TV at 60fps
>> then 30p content will be perfect and 24p will be not quite right but
>> perfectly acceptible. But 25p content will show a sort of hardness
>> to the motion (difficult to describe but very noticable), particularly
>> when there's a long slow pan of the camera. And if you have loads
>> of 25p content and you drive the tv at 50p then 24p content will show
>> a slight tick once per second.
>>
>> 24p content running with a 60p refresh rate is so close to right that
>> I think you'd struggle to see any problem. I'd recommend you don't
>> look for it, because once you see it you can never unsee it. :-)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Paul.
>
> I checked my big TV and it is running at 60, so maybe, as you say, it
> is not important in my case. Also the fps seems to switch between 30
> and 24 during a recording, so it may actually be better if the TV
> stays at 60 rather than switching to 30 and then encountering parts of
> the show that are at 24.
>
> Since the Raspberry Pi was developed in the UK, you would think it
> would be suited to the UK mode of TV and movies.
>
> I have not looked into it but I think that changing the video mode may
> require changing the config.txt and rebooting. If you figure out
> something that can be built into MythTV let me know.
>
> Peter

I am in the UK

Frame rate switching can be done on the pi without a reboot, I don't
know the technical details.

Kodi can and does do this ( by default it is off but can be enabled to
run at stop/start). I have just tried this with my Samsung TV and it
auto switched from 50Hz to 24Hz, when I played 24p video content and
back to 50Hz

Note Kodi 17.4 Git:20170822-d640e9a747-di is now in Raspbian repo for
Debian Stretch, as is the kodi- pvr.mythtv plugin (which works with my
mythtv 30-pre backend).
For Live TV change Tuning timeout (pvr.mythtv Advanced tab) from 5
seconds to 10 seconds when using DVB-T/T2 tuners in mythbackend,
otherwise you might get Channel Unavailable message.

Mike

Re: Alternative to zbox for a frontend [ In reply to ]
On 12/09/2017 19:58, Mike Bibbings wrote:
> I am in the UK
>
> Frame rate switching can be done on the pi without a reboot, I don't
> know the technical details.
>
> Kodi can and does do this ( by default it is off but can be enabled to
> run at stop/start). I have just tried this with my Samsung TV and it
> auto switched from 50Hz to 24Hz, when I played 24p video content and
> back to 50Hz
>
> Note Kodi 17.4 Git:20170822-d640e9a747-di is now in Raspbian repo for
> Debian Stretch, as is the kodi- pvr.mythtv plugin (which works with my
> mythtv 30-pre backend).
> For Live TV change Tuning timeout (pvr.mythtv Advanced tab) from 5
> seconds to 10 seconds when using DVB-T/T2 tuners in mythbackend,
> otherwise you might get Channel Unavailable message.

That's useful to know. I'll see if I can find the commit in the kodi
repo that added that feature for the pi.
Re: Alternative to zbox for a frontend [ In reply to ]
Returning to the original subject: A 2010 mac mini loaded with linux functions great as a front end. They are 2.4 ghz core2duo and nvidia geforce 320m graphics chipsets. They can also be had for around $200 used.

I am currently using one now with lubuntu installed and the nvidia drivers installed.

Re: Alternative to zbox for a frontend [ In reply to ]
On 09/12/2017 06:22 PM, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> That's useful to know. I'll see if I can find the commit in the kodi
> repo that added that feature for the pi.

Before going too far down this road you may want to check whether the
performance of the Raspberry Pi is sufficient for your critical eye. I
suggest check what your TV scan rate is on the raspberry pi, then watch
a 25 fps recording and a 24 fps recording and see if there is a
difference on the raspberry pi MythTV.

A quick internet search shows you can change the video mode. Modes are
listed here:
http://elinux.org/RPiconfig#Video_mode_options

The tvservice command lets you see the mode and change it. You can also
change it in config.txt. So you could see if changing it improves the
playback of the respective recordings.