Mailing List Archive

Remote control double key presses
I recently blew away my Mythbuntu 14.04 frontend-only machine and installed
16.04 from scratch. This has left me with a problem with my remote control
(Harmony 600).

It's working and key presses are being detected but I'm getting double key
presses. Apparently this is often if you have more than 1 thing in the
square brackets below. but mine only says lirc:

$ cat /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols
other unknown rc-5 nec rc-6 jvc sony rc-5-sz sanyo sharp mce_kbd xmp [lirc]

Does anyone know how I can fix this? Here's my hardware.conf if it helps:
# /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
#
#Chosen Remote Control
REMOTE="Windows Media Center Transceivers/Remotes (all)"
REMOTE_MODULES="lirc_dev mceusb"
REMOTE_DRIVER=""
REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
REMOTE_SOCKET=""
REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF="mceusb/lircd.conf.mceusb"
REMOTE_LIRCD_ARGS=""

#Chosen IR Transmitter
TRANSMITTER="None"
TRANSMITTER_MODULES=""
TRANSMITTER_DRIVER=""
TRANSMITTER_DEVICE=""
TRANSMITTER_SOCKET=""
TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_CONF=""
TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_ARGS=""

#Disable kernel support.
#Typically, lirc will disable in-kernel support for ir devices in order to
#handle them internally. Set to false to prevent lirc from disabling this
#in-kernel support.
#DISABLE_KERNEL_SUPPORT="true"

#Enable lircd
START_LIRCD="true"

#Don't start lircmd even if there seems to be a good config file
#START_LIRCMD="false"

#Try to load appropriate kernel modules
LOAD_MODULES="true"

# Default configuration files for your hardware if any
LIRCMD_CONF=""

#Forcing noninteractive reconfiguration
#If lirc is to be reconfigured by an external application
#that doesn't have a debconf frontend available, the noninteractive
#frontend can be invoked and set to parse REMOTE and TRANSMITTER
#It will then populate all other variables without any user input
#If you would like to configure lirc via standard methods, be sure
#to leave this set to "false"
FORCE_NONINTERACTIVE_RECONFIGURATION="true"
START_LIRCMD=""

And here's my /etc/lirc/lircd.conf:
#Configuration for the Windows Media Center Transceivers/Remotes (all)
remote:
include "/usr/share/lirc/remotes/mceusb/lircd.conf.mceusb"

Thanks in advance,
Phill
Re: Remote control double key presses [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 3 Sep 2017 15:17:48 +1000, you wrote:

>I recently blew away my Mythbuntu 14.04 frontend-only machine and installed
>16.04 from scratch. This has left me with a problem with my remote control
>(Harmony 600).
>
>It's working and key presses are being detected but I'm getting double key
>presses. Apparently this is often if you have more than 1 thing in the
>square brackets below. but mine only says lirc:
>
>$ cat /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols
>other unknown rc-5 nec rc-6 jvc sony rc-5-sz sanyo sharp mce_kbd xmp [lirc]
>
>Does anyone know how I can fix this? Here's my hardware.conf if it helps:
># /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
>#
>#Chosen Remote Control
>REMOTE="Windows Media Center Transceivers/Remotes (all)"
>REMOTE_MODULES="lirc_dev mceusb"
>REMOTE_DRIVER=""
>REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
>REMOTE_SOCKET=""
>REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF="mceusb/lircd.conf.mceusb"
>REMOTE_LIRCD_ARGS=""
>
>#Chosen IR Transmitter
>TRANSMITTER="None"
>TRANSMITTER_MODULES=""
>TRANSMITTER_DRIVER=""
>TRANSMITTER_DEVICE=""
>TRANSMITTER_SOCKET=""
>TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_CONF=""
>TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_ARGS=""
>
>#Disable kernel support.
>#Typically, lirc will disable in-kernel support for ir devices in order to
>#handle them internally. Set to false to prevent lirc from disabling this
>#in-kernel support.
>#DISABLE_KERNEL_SUPPORT="true"
>
>#Enable lircd
>START_LIRCD="true"
>
>#Don't start lircmd even if there seems to be a good config file
>#START_LIRCMD="false"
>
>#Try to load appropriate kernel modules
>LOAD_MODULES="true"
>
># Default configuration files for your hardware if any
>LIRCMD_CONF=""
>
>#Forcing noninteractive reconfiguration
>#If lirc is to be reconfigured by an external application
>#that doesn't have a debconf frontend available, the noninteractive
>#frontend can be invoked and set to parse REMOTE and TRANSMITTER
>#It will then populate all other variables without any user input
>#If you would like to configure lirc via standard methods, be sure
>#to leave this set to "false"
>FORCE_NONINTERACTIVE_RECONFIGURATION="true"
>START_LIRCMD=""
>

>And here's my /etc/lirc/lircd.conf:
>#Configuration for the Windows Media Center Transceivers/Remotes (all)
>remote:
>include "/usr/share/lirc/remotes/mceusb/lircd.conf.mceusb"
>

>Thanks in advance,
>Phill

You are using an old lirc config from before when the drivers were
moved into the kernel. You probably need to change to using the
devinput driver now. What keys are you seeing double presses on? Is
it only the arrow keys and maybe number keys? If so, then that is
your remote being detected as a keyboard and those keyboard keys
working, but it is also being used by lirc and getting a keystroke
from there.

I have my devinput setup available for download from my web server, if
you want an example of how to do it with an MCE remote:

http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/mythbuntu-devinput-lirc.bz2