Mailing List Archive

lirc_serial move to serial_ir nightmare in kernel 4.12
This one just has me at my wits end. I'm running on Gentoo and am
trying to update my kernel from 4.9.34 to 4.12.5. I'm running
lircd-0.9.4a and had the lirc_serial stuff compiled directly into the
kernel (no modules) and have the serial SERIAL_8250 stuff disabled (as
required). This all works 100% with lirc_serial in 4.9.34.

So apparently since then, lirc_serial was moved out of the staging
drivers and rename to serial_ir (??):

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lirc/+bug/1702927
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=fa5dc29c1fcc9151c3bcfd9e291a2899ae15f61d

Just to really confuse things, the kernel config is in fact named IR_SERIAL:

IR_SERIAL
Location:
-> Device Drivers
-> Multimedia support (MEDIA_SUPPORT [=y])
-> Remote Controller devices (RC_DEVICES [=y])
Label: Homebrew Serial Port Receiver

So I enabled that and disabled the option for the transmitter, as I
don't need it.

The first time I tried this, I got no /dev/lirc0 device at all. I was
able to correct that by enabling the "IR to LIRC bridge" under the
Remote controller decoders:

IR_LIRC_CODEC
Location:
-> Device Drivers
-> Multimedia support (MEDIA_SUPPORT [=y])
-> Remote controller decoders (RC_DECODERS [=y])
-> LIRC interface driver (LIRC [=y])
Label: Enable IR to LIRC bridge

That at least corrected that issue and I'm now getting a /dev/lirc0
device. What's perplexing is why, if this was just a move and rename,
did I NOT require that before? This may be related to the mess below
regarding the kernel rc0 crap.

So now here's where I'm at: I CAN in fact get raw output with "cat
/dev/lirc0" when hitting remote buttons, however irw gets nothing at
all. Here's what the lircd startup looks like:

/etc/init.d/lircd start
* Starting lircd ...
* Setting lirc protocol active for rc0

....with this in the message log:
Aug 21 18:47:03 mythfront lircd-0.9.4a[1526]: Info: lircd: Opening
log, level: Info
Aug 21 18:47:03 mythfront lircd-0.9.4a[1526]: Info: Initial device: /dev/lirc0
Aug 21 18:47:03 mythfront lircd-0.9.4a[1526]: Info: [lirc] protocol is enabled
Aug 21 18:47:03 mythfront lircd-0.9.4a[1526]: Info: Initial device: /dev/lirc0
Aug 21 18:47:03 mythfront lircd-0.9.4a[1526]: Info: [lirc] protocol is enabled
Aug 21 18:47:03 mythfront lircd-0.9.4a[1526]: Info: lircd: Opening
log, level: Info
Aug 21 18:47:03 mythfront lircd-0.9.4a[1526]: Warning: Running as root
Aug 21 18:47:03 mythfront lircd-0.9.4a[1526]: Info: Using remote: TIVO34.
Aug 21 18:47:03 mythfront lircd-0.9.4a[1527]: Notice: lircd(default)
ready, using /var/run/lirc/lircd

That all looks perfectly normal. Here are log messages regarding serial_ir:
grep serial_ir /var/log/messages
Aug 21 18:56:49 mythfront kernel: serial_ir serial_ir.0: auto-detected
active low receiver
Aug 21 18:56:49 mythfront kernel: rc rc0: Serial IR type home-brew as
/devices/platform/serial_ir.0/rc/rc0
Aug 21 18:56:49 mythfront kernel: rc rc0: lirc_dev: driver
ir-lirc-codec (serial_ir) registered at minor = 0
Aug 21 18:56:49 mythfront kernel: input: Serial IR type home-brew as
/devices/platform/serial_ir.0/rc/rc0/input1

I think this confusing mess is related: The init script is generating
the message "Setting lirc protocol active for rc0" based on the
existence of /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols which is clearly related to
the /devices/platform/serial_ir.0/rc/rc0 referenced above.

However with the old kernel and lirc_serial, none of that exists at
all, and I don't get those messages at all. The lirc_serial device
appears to be under /sys/devices/platform/lirc_serial.0/lirc/lirc0,
/sys/class/rc is empty, and there appears to be a
/sys/class/lirc/lirc0 directory with nothing resembling that protocol
entry at all.

So clearly there's something radically different about this serial_ir
driver...or it sure looks that way.

Any insight would be appreciated. Just horrible.

Tom
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: lirc_serial move to serial_ir nightmare in kernel 4.12 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 7:46 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com> wrote:
> This one just has me at my wits end. I'm running on Gentoo and am
> trying to update my kernel from 4.9.34 to 4.12.5. I'm running
> lircd-0.9.4a and had the lirc_serial stuff compiled directly into the
> kernel (no modules) and have the serial SERIAL_8250 stuff disabled (as
> required). This all works 100% with lirc_serial in 4.9.34.
>

Just another note on this: The mode2 program seems to confirm that my
/etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf, most notably the "default" driver is
apparently correct.

I'm totally out of ideas at that point. The service startup shows that
it's using my tivo remote configuration. Everything right up to, but
not including, irw and/or any actual applications (including mythtv)
seem fine. Maddening.

Tom
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: lirc_serial move to serial_ir nightmare in kernel 4.12 [ In reply to ]
On 22/08/17 02:30, Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 7:46 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This one just has me at my wits end. I'm running on Gentoo and am
>> trying to update my kernel from 4.9.34 to 4.12.5. I'm running
>> lircd-0.9.4a and had the lirc_serial stuff compiled directly into the
>> kernel (no modules) and have the serial SERIAL_8250 stuff disabled (as
>> required). This all works 100% with lirc_serial in 4.9.34.
>>
>
> Just another note on this: The mode2 program seems to confirm that my
> /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf, most notably the "default" driver is
> apparently correct.
>
> I'm totally out of ideas at that point. The service startup shows that
> it's using my tivo remote configuration. Everything right up to, but
> not including, irw and/or any actual applications (including mythtv)
> seem fine. Maddening.

Could it be the kernel driver issue discussed in the lirc mailing list [1] ?


--alec

[1] https://sourceforge.net/p/lirc/mailman/message/35926194/
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: lirc_serial move to serial_ir nightmare in kernel 4.12 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 8:55 PM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
> On 22/08/17 02:30, Tom Dexter wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 7:46 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> This one just has me at my wits end. I'm running on Gentoo and am
>>> trying to update my kernel from 4.9.34 to 4.12.5. I'm running
>>> lircd-0.9.4a and had the lirc_serial stuff compiled directly into the
>>> kernel (no modules) and have the serial SERIAL_8250 stuff disabled (as
>>> required). This all works 100% with lirc_serial in 4.9.34.
>>>
>>
>> Just another note on this: The mode2 program seems to confirm that my
>> /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf, most notably the "default" driver is
>> apparently correct.
>>
>> I'm totally out of ideas at that point. The service startup shows that
>> it's using my tivo remote configuration. Everything right up to, but
>> not including, irw and/or any actual applications (including mythtv)
>> seem fine. Maddening.
>
>
> Could it be the kernel driver issue discussed in the lirc mailing list [1] ?
>
>
> --alec
>
> [1] https://sourceforge.net/p/lirc/mailman/message/35926194/

It might be. I was reading some stuff around a
LIRC_GET_REC_RESOLUTION...not sure if that's the same or not. I'm
trying 4.12.6 now to see if that corrects it.

Tom
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: lirc_serial move to serial_ir nightmare in kernel 4.12 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 8:55 PM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
> On 22/08/17 02:30, Tom Dexter wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 7:46 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> This one just has me at my wits end. I'm running on Gentoo and am
>>> trying to update my kernel from 4.9.34 to 4.12.5. I'm running
>>> lircd-0.9.4a and had the lirc_serial stuff compiled directly into the
>>> kernel (no modules) and have the serial SERIAL_8250 stuff disabled (as
>>> required). This all works 100% with lirc_serial in 4.9.34.
>>>
>>
>> Just another note on this: The mode2 program seems to confirm that my
>> /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf, most notably the "default" driver is
>> apparently correct.
>>
>> I'm totally out of ideas at that point. The service startup shows that
>> it's using my tivo remote configuration. Everything right up to, but
>> not including, irw and/or any actual applications (including mythtv)
>> seem fine. Maddening.
>
>
> Could it be the kernel driver issue discussed in the lirc mailing list [1] ?
>
>
> --alec
>
> [1] https://sourceforge.net/p/lirc/mailman/message/35926194/

Still compiling...but wow. I do NOT understand what the replies in
that thread are implying, especially in regard to the serial stuff.
WTF? Are they saying they just plain don't work any more?

Any idea exactly what fix they're referring to there, and when it went
in? I can't figure it out at all.

Tom
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: lirc_serial move to serial_ir nightmare in kernel 4.12 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 9:40 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 8:55 PM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>> Could it be the kernel driver issue discussed in the lirc mailing list [1] ?
>>
>>
>> --alec
>>
>> [1] https://sourceforge.net/p/lirc/mailman/message/35926194/
>
> It might be. I was reading some stuff around a
> LIRC_GET_REC_RESOLUTION...not sure if that's the same or not. I'm
> trying 4.12.6 now to see if that corrects it.
>
> Tom

Definitely NOT fixed in 4.12.6. Really screwed. I was sure that was
it. The fact that mode2 works seems to point decoding issues I read
about....but no dice.

I really wish someone could clarify that LIRC mailing list thread. I
can't make any sense out of what if anything was fixed there or when,
or if the serial stuff even works, especially based on that post from
Bengt.


Tom
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: lirc_serial move to serial_ir nightmare in kernel 4.12 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 8:55 PM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Could it be the kernel driver issue discussed in the lirc mailing list [1] ?
>
>
> --alec
>
> [1] https://sourceforge.net/p/lirc/mailman/message/35926194/

This day is gonna make me cry yet. I just joined the lirc-list mailing
list and I swear to God, nothing anywhere tells me what the email
address is that I need to send to! Anyone have a clue what that is?
Apparently the list name is lirc-list. No words for this day at all...

Tom
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: lirc_serial move to serial_ir nightmare in kernel 4.12 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 11:04 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 8:55 PM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Could it be the kernel driver issue discussed in the lirc mailing list
> [1] ?
> >
> >
> > --alec
> >
> > [1] https://sourceforge.net/p/lirc/mailman/message/35926194/
>
> This day is gonna make me cry yet. I just joined the lirc-list mailing
> list and I swear to God, nothing anywhere tells me what the email
> address is that I need to send to! Anyone have a clue what that is?
> Apparently the list name is lirc-list. No words for this day at all...


yes, the lirc_serial to lirc_ir transition bit me too... It took me weeks
to figure it out. I finally got mine working again but I'm using a simple
hardware serial port receiver.

Not sure if it will help you but the "magic incantation" I had to do was
add the following to lirc_options.conf:

[modinit]
code1 = /usr/sbin/rmmod serial_ir
code2 = /usr/bin/setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none
code3 = /usr/sbin/modprobe serial_ir

The module gets loaded before I can disable the uart...

Thanks,
Richard
Re: lirc_serial move to serial_ir nightmare in kernel 4.12 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 8:29 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 11:04 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 8:55 PM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Could it be the kernel driver issue discussed in the lirc mailing list
>> > [1] ?
>> >
>> >
>> > --alec
>> >
>> > [1] https://sourceforge.net/p/lirc/mailman/message/35926194/
>>
>> This day is gonna make me cry yet. I just joined the lirc-list mailing
>> list and I swear to God, nothing anywhere tells me what the email
>> address is that I need to send to! Anyone have a clue what that is?
>> Apparently the list name is lirc-list. No words for this day at all...
>
>
> yes, the lirc_serial to lirc_ir transition bit me too... It took me weeks to
> figure it out. I finally got mine working again but I'm using a simple
> hardware serial port receiver.
>
> Not sure if it will help you but the "magic incantation" I had to do was add
> the following to lirc_options.conf:
>
> [modinit]
> code1 = /usr/sbin/rmmod serial_ir
> code2 = /usr/bin/setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none
> code3 = /usr/sbin/modprobe serial_ir
>
> The module gets loaded before I can disable the uart...
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

I'm using a simple hardware serial port receiver as well. Not only
that, none of the potential issues with the serial port uart are an
issue for me as I have the SERIAL_8250 disabled in my kernel
altogether. All the lirc stuff is compiled in as well...no modules
involved at all. What's ever more perplexing is the fact that mode2
works with the default driver and /dev/lirc0 that I'm using, which
rules about everything except something breaking the decoding. That
would seem to be an issue with the ir-lirc-codec. That's used by the
serial_ir but wasn't needed for lirc_serial.

There were even several bugs around just that in ir-lirc-codec.c, all
of which I've patched into the kernel, and still no luck. Just
horrible.

Tom
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: lirc_serial move to serial_ir nightmare in kernel 4.12 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 09:43:53 -0400, you wrote:

>On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 8:29 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 11:04 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 8:55 PM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>> >
>>> > Could it be the kernel driver issue discussed in the lirc mailing list
>>> > [1] ?
>>> >
>>> >
>>> > --alec
>>> >
>>> > [1] https://sourceforge.net/p/lirc/mailman/message/35926194/
>>>
>>> This day is gonna make me cry yet. I just joined the lirc-list mailing
>>> list and I swear to God, nothing anywhere tells me what the email
>>> address is that I need to send to! Anyone have a clue what that is?
>>> Apparently the list name is lirc-list. No words for this day at all...
>>
>>
>> yes, the lirc_serial to lirc_ir transition bit me too... It took me weeks to
>> figure it out. I finally got mine working again but I'm using a simple
>> hardware serial port receiver.
>>
>> Not sure if it will help you but the "magic incantation" I had to do was add
>> the following to lirc_options.conf:
>>
>> [modinit]
>> code1 = /usr/sbin/rmmod serial_ir
>> code2 = /usr/bin/setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none
>> code3 = /usr/sbin/modprobe serial_ir
>>
>> The module gets loaded before I can disable the uart...
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Richard
>
>I'm using a simple hardware serial port receiver as well. Not only
>that, none of the potential issues with the serial port uart are an
>issue for me as I have the SERIAL_8250 disabled in my kernel
>altogether. All the lirc stuff is compiled in as well...no modules
>involved at all. What's ever more perplexing is the fact that mode2
>works with the default driver and /dev/lirc0 that I'm using, which
>rules about everything except something breaking the decoding. That
>would seem to be an issue with the ir-lirc-codec. That's used by the
>serial_ir but wasn't needed for lirc_serial.
>
>There were even several bugs around just that in ir-lirc-codec.c, all
>of which I've patched into the kernel, and still no luck. Just
>horrible.
>
>Tom

So maybe you need to compile serial_ir as a module, so that you can
reload it after disabling the uart module from grabbing the port.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: lirc_serial move to serial_ir nightmare in kernel 4.12 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 10:47 AM, Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 09:43:53 -0400, you wrote:
>>I'm using a simple hardware serial port receiver as well. Not only
>>that, none of the potential issues with the serial port uart are an
>>issue for me as I have the SERIAL_8250 disabled in my kernel
>>altogether. All the lirc stuff is compiled in as well...no modules
>>involved at all. What's ever more perplexing is the fact that mode2
>>works with the default driver and /dev/lirc0 that I'm using, which
>>rules about everything except something breaking the decoding. That
>>would seem to be an issue with the ir-lirc-codec. That's used by the
>>serial_ir but wasn't needed for lirc_serial.
>>
>>There were even several bugs around just that in ir-lirc-codec.c, all
>>of which I've patched into the kernel, and still no luck. Just
>>horrible.
>>
>>Tom
>
> So maybe you need to compile serial_ir as a module, so that you can
> reload it after disabling the uart module from grabbing the port.

Again: I have SERIAL_8250, that is the standard serial port interface
stuff that even *would* grab the port completely disabled in the
kernel, so that's a non issue. If that were a problem I'd never be
getting as close as I am. Again, I'm getting data from mode2 using the
/dev/lirc0 device and the default driver as configured in
/etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf. That would never happen with any uart
issue.

It actually proves that everything up to, but excluding, the actual
decoding of the IR data, is working. I'm going to do some tests with
irrecord to see what it's actually getting. I have a feeling that it's
just not decoding properly from some issue with ir-lirc-codec.

Tom
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: lirc_serial move to serial_ir nightmare in kernel 4.12 [ In reply to ]
On 22/08/17 18:15, Tom Dexter wrote:


> It actually proves that everything up to, but excluding, the actual
> decoding of the IR data, is working. I'm going to do some tests with
> irrecord to see what it's actually getting. I have a feeling that it's
> just not decoding properly from some issue with ir-lirc-codec.

You have noted that here are two paths, right? One which uses the kernel
decoding (ir-lirc-codec etc), an event device and the devinput driver.
And one bypassing the kernel decoding, using the /dev/lirc0 device and
the default driver? And that the latter part requires that the kernel
decoding is disabled i. e., that only the lirc protocol is enabled in
the /sys/class/rc/rc0 device?


Cheers!

--alec

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: lirc_serial move to serial_ir nightmare in kernel 4.12 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 2:48 PM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
> On 22/08/17 18:15, Tom Dexter wrote:
>
>> It actually proves that everything up to, but excluding, the actual
>> decoding of the IR data, is working. I'm going to do some tests with
>> irrecord to see what it's actually getting. I have a feeling that it's
>> just not decoding properly from some issue with ir-lirc-codec.
>
>
> You have noted that here are two paths, right? One which uses the kernel
> decoding (ir-lirc-codec etc), an event device and the devinput driver. And
> one bypassing the kernel decoding, using the /dev/lirc0 device and the
> default driver? And that the latter part requires that the kernel decoding
> is disabled i. e., that only the lirc protocol is enabled in the
> /sys/class/rc/rc0 device?
>
>
> Cheers!
>
> --alec

Wow...I'm a bit confused, but this may be the whole issue. If you're
saying that the latter...that is the use of /dev/lirc0 and the default
driver...should NOT be using ir-lirc-codec at all, and should be
bypassing the kernel decoding, then that's clearly my problem right
there. However it brings up the other issue I mentioned in the first
post:

When I first enabled serial_ir in the kernel (IR_SERIAL, which I
enabled built in, and not as a module), I didn't get ANY /dev/lirc0
device at all. The only way I could get it to create /dev/lirc0 was by
enabling IR_LIRC_CODEC, which seemed odd. If I'm understanding what
you're saying correctly, then that was clearly a mistake. However I'd
also need to know why I'd get no /dev/lirc0 with SERIAL_IR enabled
directly in the kernel.

OGM...I think I may have just figured it out. I probably shouldn't
have RC_DECODERS enabled at all should I. Would that prevent
/dev/lirc0 from getting created without enabling a decoder?

Thanks!
Tom
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: lirc_serial move to serial_ir nightmare in kernel 4.12 [ In reply to ]
On 22/08/17 21:26, Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 2:48 PM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>> On 22/08/17 18:15, Tom Dexter wrote:
>>
>>> It actually proves that everything up to, but excluding, the actual
>>> decoding of the IR data, is working. I'm going to do some tests with
>>> irrecord to see what it's actually getting. I have a feeling that it's
>>> just not decoding properly from some issue with ir-lirc-codec.
>>
>>
>> You have noted that here are two paths, right? One which uses the kernel
>> decoding (ir-lirc-codec etc), an event device and the devinput driver. And
>> one bypassing the kernel decoding, using the /dev/lirc0 device and the
>> default driver? And that the latter part requires that the kernel decoding
>> is disabled i. e., that only the lirc protocol is enabled in the
>> /sys/class/rc/rc0 device?
>>
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> --alec
>
> Wow...I'm a bit confused, but this may be the whole issue. If you're
> saying that the latter...that is the use of /dev/lirc0 and the default
> driver...should NOT be using ir-lirc-codec at all, and should be
> bypassing the kernel decoding, then that's clearly my problem right
> there. However it brings up the other issue I mentioned in the first
> post:
>
> When I first enabled serial_ir in the kernel (IR_SERIAL, which I
> enabled built in, and not as a module), I didn't get ANY /dev/lirc0
> device at all. The only way I could get it to create /dev/lirc0 was by
> enabling IR_LIRC_CODEC, which seemed odd. If I'm understanding what
> you're saying correctly, then that was clearly a mistake. However I'd
> also need to know why I'd get no /dev/lirc0 with SERIAL_IR enabled
> directly in the kernel.
>
> OGM...I think I may have just figured it out. I probably shouldn't
> have RC_DECODERS enabled at all should I. Would that prevent
> /dev/lirc0 from getting created without enabling a decoder?


This is basically an internal kernel/driver issue above my paygrade.
IIRC, most drivers actually create the /dev/lircX device when loaded,
but only send data to it if the lirc protocol is enabled in
/sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols.

When so, the other protocols should be disabled - if not for other
reasons, anything decoded by the kernel is just a pain when using the
lircd decoding.


Cheers!
--alec
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: lirc_serial move to serial_ir nightmare in kernel 4.12 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 3:38 PM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
> On 22/08/17 21:26, Tom Dexter wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 2:48 PM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> You have noted that here are two paths, right? One which uses the kernel
>>> decoding (ir-lirc-codec etc), an event device and the devinput driver.
>>> And
>>> one bypassing the kernel decoding, using the /dev/lirc0 device and the
>>> default driver? And that the latter part requires that the kernel
>>> decoding
>>> is disabled i. e., that only the lirc protocol is enabled in the
>>> /sys/class/rc/rc0 device?
>>>
>>>
>>> Cheers!
>>>
>>> --alec
>>
>>
>> Wow...I'm a bit confused, but this may be the whole issue. If you're
>> saying that the latter...that is the use of /dev/lirc0 and the default
>> driver...should NOT be using ir-lirc-codec at all, and should be
>> bypassing the kernel decoding, then that's clearly my problem right
>> there. However it brings up the other issue I mentioned in the first
>> post:
>>
>> When I first enabled serial_ir in the kernel (IR_SERIAL, which I
>> enabled built in, and not as a module), I didn't get ANY /dev/lirc0
>> device at all. The only way I could get it to create /dev/lirc0 was by
>> enabling IR_LIRC_CODEC, which seemed odd. If I'm understanding what
>> you're saying correctly, then that was clearly a mistake. However I'd
>> also need to know why I'd get no /dev/lirc0 with SERIAL_IR enabled
>> directly in the kernel.
>>
>> OGM...I think I may have just figured it out. I probably shouldn't
>> have RC_DECODERS enabled at all should I. Would that prevent
>> /dev/lirc0 from getting created without enabling a decoder?
>
>
>
> This is basically an internal kernel/driver issue above my paygrade. IIRC,
> most drivers actually create the /dev/lircX device when loaded, but only
> send data to it if the lirc protocol is enabled in
> /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols.
>
> When so, the other protocols should be disabled - if not for other reasons,
> anything decoded by the kernel is just a pain when using the lircd decoding.
>
>
>
> Cheers!
> --alec

Maybe you cat at least clear me up as to what I actually should have
enabled in the kernel, as I'm more confused than ever looking at the
config options:

Here's what I have:

grep LIRC .config
CONFIG_LIRC=y
# CONFIG_IR_LIRC_CODEC is not set

grep IR_SERIAL .config
CONFIG_IR_SERIAL=y
# CONFIG_IR_SERIAL_TRANSMITTER is not set

grep RC_SUPPORT .config
CONFIG_MEDIA_RC_SUPPORT=y

Do you now of anything else I should need?

With that however I still get no /dev/lirc0 device. It's possible that
could be somehow related to the fact that I have it built into the
kernel. At least I'm clear that using CONFIG_IR_LIRC_CODEC was totally
wrong in this case.

Tom
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: lirc_serial move to serial_ir nightmare in kernel 4.12 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 4:06 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 3:38 PM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>> On 22/08/17 21:26, Tom Dexter wrote:
>>>
>>> On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 2:48 PM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> You have noted that here are two paths, right? One which uses the kernel
>>>> decoding (ir-lirc-codec etc), an event device and the devinput driver.
>>>> And
>>>> one bypassing the kernel decoding, using the /dev/lirc0 device and the
>>>> default driver? And that the latter part requires that the kernel
>>>> decoding
>>>> is disabled i. e., that only the lirc protocol is enabled in the
>>>> /sys/class/rc/rc0 device?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Cheers!
>>>>
>>>> --alec
>>>
>>>
>>> Wow...I'm a bit confused, but this may be the whole issue. If you're
>>> saying that the latter...that is the use of /dev/lirc0 and the default
>>> driver...should NOT be using ir-lirc-codec at all, and should be
>>> bypassing the kernel decoding, then that's clearly my problem right
>>> there. However it brings up the other issue I mentioned in the first
>>> post:
>>>
>>> When I first enabled serial_ir in the kernel (IR_SERIAL, which I
>>> enabled built in, and not as a module), I didn't get ANY /dev/lirc0
>>> device at all. The only way I could get it to create /dev/lirc0 was by
>>> enabling IR_LIRC_CODEC, which seemed odd. If I'm understanding what
>>> you're saying correctly, then that was clearly a mistake. However I'd
>>> also need to know why I'd get no /dev/lirc0 with SERIAL_IR enabled
>>> directly in the kernel.
>>>
>>> OGM...I think I may have just figured it out. I probably shouldn't
>>> have RC_DECODERS enabled at all should I. Would that prevent
>>> /dev/lirc0 from getting created without enabling a decoder?
>>
>>
>>
>> This is basically an internal kernel/driver issue above my paygrade. IIRC,
>> most drivers actually create the /dev/lircX device when loaded, but only
>> send data to it if the lirc protocol is enabled in
>> /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols.
>>
>> When so, the other protocols should be disabled - if not for other reasons,
>> anything decoded by the kernel is just a pain when using the lircd decoding.
>>
>>
>>
>> Cheers!
>> --alec
>
> Maybe you cat at least clear me up as to what I actually should have
> enabled in the kernel, as I'm more confused than ever looking at the
> config options:
>
> Here's what I have:
>
> grep LIRC .config
> CONFIG_LIRC=y
> # CONFIG_IR_LIRC_CODEC is not set
>
> grep IR_SERIAL .config
> CONFIG_IR_SERIAL=y
> # CONFIG_IR_SERIAL_TRANSMITTER is not set
>
> grep RC_SUPPORT .config
> CONFIG_MEDIA_RC_SUPPORT=y
>
> Do you now of anything else I should need?
>
> With that however I still get no /dev/lirc0 device. It's possible that
> could be somehow related to the fact that I have it built into the
> kernel. At least I'm clear that using CONFIG_IR_LIRC_CODEC was totally
> wrong in this case.
>
> Tom

I just tried changing both the lirc_dev and serial_ir to modules
loaded at boot time:

lsmod
Module Size Used by
nvidia_modeset 811008 3
serial_ir 16384 0
lirc_dev 16384 0
nvidia 11517952 61 nvidia_modeset
nvidia_drm 16384 0

Still no /dev/lirc0 getting created. Awful.

Here's what I get when starting lircd:

/etc/init.d/lircd start
* Starting lircd ...
* Setting lirc protocol active for rc0

That last line is echoing to this:

cat /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols
rc-5 nec rc-6 jvc sony rc-5-sz sanyo sharp mce_kbd xmp [lirc]

Is that how thats intended to look? I think you said that it should
only have lirc?

Tom
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: lirc_serial move to serial_ir nightmare in kernel 4.12 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 8:29 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 11:04 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 8:55 PM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Could it be the kernel driver issue discussed in the lirc mailing list
>> > [1] ?
>> >
>> >
>> > --alec
>> >
>> > [1] https://sourceforge.net/p/lirc/mailman/message/35926194/
>>
>> This day is gonna make me cry yet. I just joined the lirc-list mailing
>> list and I swear to God, nothing anywhere tells me what the email
>> address is that I need to send to! Anyone have a clue what that is?
>> Apparently the list name is lirc-list. No words for this day at all...
>
>
> yes, the lirc_serial to lirc_ir transition bit me too... It took me weeks to
> figure it out. I finally got mine working again but I'm using a simple
> hardware serial port receiver.
>
> Not sure if it will help you but the "magic incantation" I had to do was add
> the following to lirc_options.conf:
>
> [modinit]
> code1 = /usr/sbin/rmmod serial_ir
> code2 = /usr/bin/setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none
> code3 = /usr/sbin/modprobe serial_ir
>
> The module gets loaded before I can disable the uart...
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

Hey Richard. If you could just verify a few things for me, seeing as
you have a working setup with all this:

1. In your lirc_options.conf are the driver and device default, and
/dev/lirc0 respectively?
2. What related modules are loaded? I'd assume obviously serial_ir,
and probably lirc_dev(?), but I'd assume that ir-lirc-codec would NOT
be there.

Thanks in advance. I want to at least be clear on something here.

Thanks!
Tom
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: lirc_serial move to serial_ir nightmare in kernel 4.12 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 3:50 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hey Richard. If you could just verify a few things for me, seeing as
> you have a working setup with all this:
>
> 1. In your lirc_options.conf are the driver and device default, and
> /dev/lirc0 respectively?
>

Here's what I have in the main section:
[lircd]
nodaemon = False
driver = default
device = auto
output = /var/run/lirc/lircd
pidfile = /var/run/lirc/lircd.pid
plugindir = /usr/lib64/lirc/plugins
permission = 666
allow-simulate = No
repeat-max = 600
#effective-user = lirc
effective-user = root



> 2. What related modules are loaded? I'd assume obviously serial_ir,
> and probably lirc_dev(?), but I'd assume that ir-lirc-codec would NOT
> be there.
>

# lsmod | grep lirc
ir_lirc_codec 16384 3
lirc_dev 20480 1 ir_lirc_codec
rc_core 36864 6
ir_rc6_decoder,rc_rc6_mce,ir_lirc_codec,lirc_dev,serial_ir

# lsmod | grep serial
serial_ir 20480 0
rc_core 36864 6
ir_rc6_decoder,rc_rc6_mce,ir_lirc_codec,lirc_dev,serial_ir

Did both so you could see what's a dependency for each...

Thanks,
Richard
Re: lirc_serial move to serial_ir nightmare in kernel 4.12 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 5:01 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 3:50 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hey Richard. If you could just verify a few things for me, seeing as
>> you have a working setup with all this:
>>
>> 1. In your lirc_options.conf are the driver and device default, and
>> /dev/lirc0 respectively?
>
>
> Here's what I have in the main section:
> [lircd]
> nodaemon = False
> driver = default
> device = auto
> output = /var/run/lirc/lircd
> pidfile = /var/run/lirc/lircd.pid
> plugindir = /usr/lib64/lirc/plugins
> permission = 666
> allow-simulate = No
> repeat-max = 600
> #effective-user = lirc
> effective-user = root
>
>
>>
>> 2. What related modules are loaded? I'd assume obviously serial_ir,
>> and probably lirc_dev(?), but I'd assume that ir-lirc-codec would NOT
>> be there.
>
>
> # lsmod | grep lirc
> ir_lirc_codec 16384 3
> lirc_dev 20480 1 ir_lirc_codec
> rc_core 36864 6
> ir_rc6_decoder,rc_rc6_mce,ir_lirc_codec,lirc_dev,serial_ir
>
> # lsmod | grep serial
> serial_ir 20480 0
> rc_core 36864 6
> ir_rc6_decoder,rc_rc6_mce,ir_lirc_codec,lirc_dev,serial_ir
>
> Did both so you could see what's a dependency for each...
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

Whoa...I hope somebody can clear this up, because this complete
contradicts what Alec said earlier:

"You have noted that here are two paths, right? One which uses the
kernel decoding (ir-lirc-codec etc), an event device and the devinput
driver. And one bypassing the kernel decoding, using the /dev/lirc0
device and the default driver? And that the latter part requires that
the kernel decoding is disabled i. e., that only the lirc protocol is
enabled in the /sys/class/rc/rc0 device?"

However you're clearly using /dev/lirc0 and the default driver, and
NOT an event device / devinput. However you ARE in fact using the
ir_lirc_codec, which would imply it's kernel decoding.

Help...anyone. What AM I supposed to be using here. I'm literally
going down for the third time.

Tom
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: lirc_serial move to serial_ir nightmare in kernel 4.12 [ In reply to ]
On 22/08/17 22:30, Tom Dexter wrote:


> Still no /dev/lirc0 getting created. Awful.

This is a kernel issue, and you might need to get in touch with the
kernel devs or (sometimes easier) downstream distro kernel maintainers.
As I said, this is above may $0 paygrade...


> Here's what I get when starting lircd:
>
> /etc/init.d/lircd start
> * Starting lircd ...
> * Setting lirc protocol active for rc0
>
> That last line is echoing to this:
>
> cat /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols
> rc-5 nec rc-6 jvc sony rc-5-sz sanyo sharp mce_kbd xmp [lirc]
>
> Is that how thats intended to look? I think you said that it should
> only have lirc?

yup, looks fine if you plan to use the /dev/lirc0 device and the default
driver.

Basically this looks like a kernel bug to me: It has a rc0 /sys device,
runs the lirc protocol and still does not present a /dev/lirc0 link. I
assume you have checked dmesg for any clue.

FWIW, a working lirc0 also creates a /sys/class/rc/rc0/lirc0 link.


Cheers!

--alec
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: lirc_serial move to serial_ir nightmare in kernel 4.12 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 5:43 PM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
> On 22/08/17 22:30, Tom Dexter wrote:
>
>
>> Still no /dev/lirc0 getting created. Awful.
>
> This is a kernel issue, and you might need to get in touch with the kernel
> devs or (sometimes easier) downstream distro kernel maintainers. As I said,
> this is above may $0 paygrade...
>
>
>> Here's what I get when starting lircd:
>>
>> /etc/init.d/lircd start
>> * Starting lircd ...
>> * Setting lirc protocol active for rc0
>>
>> That last line is echoing to this:
>>
>> cat /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols
>> rc-5 nec rc-6 jvc sony rc-5-sz sanyo sharp mce_kbd xmp [lirc]
>>
>> Is that how thats intended to look? I think you said that it should
>> only have lirc?
>
>
> yup, looks fine if you plan to use the /dev/lirc0 device and the default
> driver.
>
> Basically this looks like a kernel bug to me: It has a rc0 /sys device, runs
> the lirc protocol and still does not present a /dev/lirc0 link. I assume you
> have checked dmesg for any clue.
>
> FWIW, a working lirc0 also creates a /sys/class/rc/rc0/lirc0 link.
>
>
>
> Cheers!
>
> --alec

Thanks Alec. I was really thrown off by the post from Richard above
being that he had codec modules such as ir_lirc_codec loaded. Is that
simply not being used in that case (since he's using /dev/lirc0 and
the default driver)? For example, when /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols has
drivers, but only the [lirc] is in brackets, does that mean that the
kernel decoders are NOT being used?

That will at least give me an idea as to what's actually happening. I
actually just compiled with several of the modules he had just to see
what happened when serial_ir gets loaded my modprobe.

Thanks
Tom
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: lirc_serial move to serial_ir nightmare in kernel 4.12 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 5:43 PM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
> On 22/08/17 22:30, Tom Dexter wrote:
>
>
>> Still no /dev/lirc0 getting created. Awful.
>
> This is a kernel issue, and you might need to get in touch with the kernel
> devs or (sometimes easier) downstream distro kernel maintainers. As I said,
> this is above may $0 paygrade...
>
>
>> Here's what I get when starting lircd:
>>
>> /etc/init.d/lircd start
>> * Starting lircd ...
>> * Setting lirc protocol active for rc0
>>
>> That last line is echoing to this:
>>
>> cat /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols
>> rc-5 nec rc-6 jvc sony rc-5-sz sanyo sharp mce_kbd xmp [lirc]
>>
>> Is that how thats intended to look? I think you said that it should
>> only have lirc?
>
>
> yup, looks fine if you plan to use the /dev/lirc0 device and the default
> driver.
>
> Basically this looks like a kernel bug to me: It has a rc0 /sys device, runs
> the lirc protocol and still does not present a /dev/lirc0 link. I assume you
> have checked dmesg for any clue.
>
> FWIW, a working lirc0 also creates a /sys/class/rc/rc0/lirc0 link.
>
> Cheers!
>
> --alec

OK...with this stuff configured as modules (except rc_core) and with
serial_ir loaded at boot with modprobe, I do in fact get a /dev/lirc0
device. However once again irw (and mythtv) don't work. Here's
everything and it just plain looks right:

lsmod
Module Size Used by
ir_lirc_codec 16384 0
lirc_dev 16384 1 ir_lirc_codec
serial_ir 16384 0
nvidia 11517952 0
nvidia_drm 16384 0

ll /dev/lirc0
crw------- 1 root root 250, 0 Aug 22 18:18 /dev/lirc0

cat /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols
rc-5 nec rc-6 jvc sony rc-5-sz sanyo sharp mce_kbd xmp [lirc]

ll /sys/class/rc/rc0/lirc0
total 0
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Aug 22 18:26 dev
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Aug 22 18:26 device -> ../../rc0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Aug 22 18:26 power
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Aug 22 18:26 subsystem ->
../../../../../../class/lirc
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Aug 22 18:18 uevent

grep -P 'serial_ir|lirc' /var/log/messages

Aug 22 18:18:18 mythfront kernel: serial_ir serial_ir.0: auto-detected
active low receiver
Aug 22 18:18:18 mythfront kernel: rc rc0: Serial IR type home-brew as
/devices/platform/serial_ir.0/rc/rc0
Aug 22 18:18:18 mythfront kernel: lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver
registered, major 250
Aug 22 18:18:18 mythfront kernel: rc rc0: lirc_dev: driver
ir-lirc-codec (serial_ir) registered at minor = 0
Aug 22 18:18:18 mythfront kernel: input: Serial IR type home-brew as
/devices/platform/serial_ir.0/rc/rc0/input8
Aug 22 18:18:16 mythfront lircd-0.9.4a[1041]: Notice: accepted new
client on /var/run/lirc/lircd
Aug 22 18:18:16 mythfront lircd-0.9.4a[1041]: Info: [lirc] protocol is enabled

dmesg | grep -P 'serial_ir|lirc'
[ 11.251156] serial_ir serial_ir.0: auto-detected active low receiver
[ 11.251218] rc rc0: Serial IR type home-brew as
/devices/platform/serial_ir.0/rc/rc0
[ 11.263334] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 250
[ 11.271387] rc rc0: lirc_dev: driver ir-lirc-codec (serial_ir)
registered at minor = 0
[ 11.284232] input: Serial IR type home-brew as
/devices/platform/serial_ir.0/rc/rc0/input8

cat /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols
rc-5 nec rc-6 jvc sony rc-5-sz sanyo sharp mce_kbd xmp [lirc]

Once again, mode2 using /dev/lirc0 and the default driver absolutely
works, but irw gets nothing.

This by the way puts me *exactly* where I was when I started this
whole thread...that is when I had serial_ir, lirc_dev, and
ir_lirc_codec compiled into the kernel. I'm fairly sure that was also
reporting the correct [lirc] in /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols as well,
and behaved exactly like this. mode2 is getting pulses etc, but for
whatever reason, the data coming back is very different from what I
got from lirc_serial.

Also note: I tried the remote config that I generated with irrecord
(the one I attached in an email to the lirc list) and that doesn't
work either. I also noticed that that one seems wildly different from
the original Philips TIVO34 config that should work, even to the
extent that the stock TIVO34 config has "bits 16" where the one I
attempted to generate picked up "bits 32". That seems highly suspect.

Tom
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: lirc_serial move to serial_ir nightmare in kernel 4.12 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 5:01 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 3:50 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hey Richard. If you could just verify a few things for me, seeing as
>> you have a working setup with all this:
>>
>> 1. In your lirc_options.conf are the driver and device default, and
>> /dev/lirc0 respectively?
>
>
> Here's what I have in the main section:
> [lircd]
> nodaemon = False
> driver = default
> device = auto
> output = /var/run/lirc/lircd
> pidfile = /var/run/lirc/lircd.pid
> plugindir = /usr/lib64/lirc/plugins
> permission = 666
> allow-simulate = No
> repeat-max = 600
> #effective-user = lirc
> effective-user = root
>
>
>>
>> 2. What related modules are loaded? I'd assume obviously serial_ir,
>> and probably lirc_dev(?), but I'd assume that ir-lirc-codec would NOT
>> be there.
>
>
> # lsmod | grep lirc
> ir_lirc_codec 16384 3
> lirc_dev 20480 1 ir_lirc_codec
> rc_core 36864 6
> ir_rc6_decoder,rc_rc6_mce,ir_lirc_codec,lirc_dev,serial_ir
>
> # lsmod | grep serial
> serial_ir 20480 0
> rc_core 36864 6
> ir_rc6_decoder,rc_rc6_mce,ir_lirc_codec,lirc_dev,serial_ir
>
> Did both so you could see what's a dependency for each...
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

Sorry to be a bother, but as a sanity check could you see if you have
this file and what it contains:

cat /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols

I specifically want to see if you're in fact using the lirc protocol
(which I believe must be the case)...that is:
cat /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols
rc-5 nec rc-6 jvc sony rc-5-sz sanyo sharp mce_kbd xmp [lirc]

Thank in advance!
Tom
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: lirc_serial move to serial_ir nightmare in kernel 4.12 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 12:06 AM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com>
wrote:

>
> Sorry to be a bother, but as a sanity check could you see if you have
> this file and what it contains:
>
> cat /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols
>
> I specifically want to see if you're in fact using the lirc protocol
> (which I believe must be the case)...that is:
> cat /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols
> rc-5 nec rc-6 jvc sony rc-5-sz sanyo sharp mce_kbd xmp [lirc]


My results are exactly the same as yours...

Richard
Re: lirc_serial move to serial_ir nightmare in kernel 4.12 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 8:14 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 12:06 AM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>>
>> Sorry to be a bother, but as a sanity check could you see if you have
>> this file and what it contains:
>>
>> cat /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols
>>
>> I specifically want to see if you're in fact using the lirc protocol
>> (which I believe must be the case)...that is:
>> cat /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols
>> rc-5 nec rc-6 jvc sony rc-5-sz sanyo sharp mce_kbd xmp [lirc]
>
>
> My results are exactly the same as yours...
>
> Richard

Thanks Richard! Alec: Regarding your request on the other thread to
increase the log level and start lircd, and try irw, I made sure my
lirc_options.conf had:

loglevel = 7
logfile = /root/lirc.log

I use sysklogd and I'd have to figure out how to reoconfigure that to
show debug level output. With the above, I do get logging to that
file, but it doesn't appear any different than what I was getting:

Aug 23 08:32:45.279510 mythfront lircd: Info: lircd: Opening log, level: Info
Aug 23 08:32:45.286040 mythfront lircd: Info: Initial device: /dev/lirc0
Aug 23 08:32:45.286288 mythfront lircd: Info: [lirc] protocol is enabled
Aug 23 08:32:45.286449 mythfront lircd: Info: Initial device: /dev/lirc0
Aug 23 08:32:45.286611 mythfront lircd: Info: [lirc] protocol is enabled
Aug 23 08:32:45.286776 mythfront lircd: Info: lircd: Opening log, level: Info
Aug 23 08:32:45.287045 mythfront lircd: Warning: Running as root
Aug 23 08:32:45.287327 mythfront lircd: Info: Using remote: TIVO34.
Aug 23 08:32:45.291196 mythfront lircd: Notice: lircd(default) ready,
using /var/run/lirc/lircd
Aug 23 08:33:08.276730 mythfront lircd: Notice: accepted new client on
/var/run/lirc/lircd
Aug 23 08:33:08.276905 mythfront lircd: Info: [lirc] protocol is enabled
Aug 23 08:33:39.190364 mythfront lircd: Info: removed client

That's the startup, the attempts at irw, and ending irw. Is lircd
ignoring it's own log level when logging to a file??

Tom
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org

1 2  View All