Mailing List Archive

Best tuner for Myth/ATSC?
The old OnAir Creator finally seems to have died. The USB system doesn't
recognize it any more. It used to lock up semi-regularly when the temperature
rose above 73F, even with the fan I had blowing on it for the last few years.
It looks like the hardware problem got progressively worse and it finally died.

Of course I tried different usb ports and a different cable. No difference.

I don't have cable so don't need any of those features. I plan to use the
new tuner exclusively for OTA (ATSC, NYC area). I would prefer 2 or 3
tuners and USB 3 as that is what the Liva X provides.

An amazon search returns quite a few dongle-type units for "Windows PC" or
"Supports Windows & Android" which makes me suspicious that a lot of the
processing is offloaded to the PC and requires drivers and/or software only
available for WIndows. I'm running Debian on the Liva X and currently Myth
0.27 as that is what comes packaged for that version. I'd rather have a
plug-in solution rather than have to upgrade Myth.

If there's no other choice, I'd go with an ethernet-based tuner, but that
would imply getting an 8-port Gbit router as I'm only running 100Mb/s at
the moment and I would prefer not to clog up the local network with HD video
streams.

Is there a USB 3 ATSC tuner with 2 or 3 tuners that works well with Myth?

It would be nice if it also had an analog input as I have a camera that
I actually never got to work with the OnAir unit and mythzonminder, and
I would also like to digitize old VCR tapes. This means a hardware mpeg
encoder most likely. The OnAir had one.

I eagerly await any responses. It sucks not being able to record any more.

BTW, I did go back about a year and re-read all the threads about modern
tuners but none seemed specific to ATSC.

Thanks!

Re: Best tuner for Myth/ATSC? [ In reply to ]
On 08/20/2017 07:57 PM, A. F. Cano wrote:

> The old OnAir Creator finally seems to have died. The USB system doesn't
> recognize it any more. It used to lock up semi-regularly when the temperature
> rose above 73F, even with the fan I had blowing on it for the last few years.
> It looks like the hardware problem got progressively worse and it finally died.
>
> Of course I tried different usb ports and a different cable. No difference.
>
> I don't have cable so don't need any of those features. I plan to use the
> new tuner exclusively for OTA (ATSC, NYC area). I would prefer 2 or 3
> tuners and USB 3 as that is what the Liva X provides.
>
> An amazon search returns quite a few dongle-type units for "Windows PC" or
> "Supports Windows & Android" which makes me suspicious that a lot of the
> processing is offloaded to the PC and requires drivers and/or software only
> available for WIndows. I'm running Debian on the Liva X and currently Myth
> 0.27 as that is what comes packaged for that version. I'd rather have a
> plug-in solution rather than have to upgrade Myth.
>
> If there's no other choice, I'd go with an ethernet-based tuner, but that
> would imply getting an 8-port Gbit router as I'm only running 100Mb/s at
> the moment and I would prefer not to clog up the local network with HD video
> streams.
>
> Is there a USB 3 ATSC tuner with 2 or 3 tuners that works well with Myth?
>
> It would be nice if it also had an analog input as I have a camera that
> I actually never got to work with the OnAir unit and mythzonminder, and
> I would also like to digitize old VCR tapes. This means a hardware mpeg
> encoder most likely. The OnAir had one.
>
> I eagerly await any responses. It sucks not being able to record any more.
>
> BTW, I did go back about a year and re-read all the threads about modern
> tuners but none seemed specific to ATSC.

Starting point would like be the linux tv website:

https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATSC_USB_Devices

IIRC, QAM is used on cable systems, not over the air (8VSB is OTOH). NTSC is
the old format (would only be useful now days if you had something like a vcr
that you wanted to record from and did not have svideo/composite, but it seems
like most all of those have that feature).

Note that I haven't used any of them - just passing along information. Also,
IIRC, for ATSC, since it is digital and already compressed, all mythtv is really
doing is moving the data from the tuner to disk - it should not need to much
processing. However, a fair number of tuners might very well not have linux
drivers, and I'm almost curious what 'supports android' would mean in this
context - is someone really connecting a tuner to their tablet? Or is it more
than likely that the bundled (windows) software has some option to be visible to
android devices.

Note that I believe a ATSC stream is ~20 Mb/sec, so while would add bandwidth,
would not saturate your network. Also, 8 port gigabit switches are not that
expense (and really, you only need 3 port - 1 for network tuner, 1 for computer,
and 1 for uplink to 100 mb switch). Not saying that is the way to go, but if a
USB tuner does not seem feasible, don't close that option off.

Re: Best tuner for Myth/ATSC? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 10:57 PM, A. F. Cano <afc@shibaya.lonestar.org> wrote:

> I don't have cable so don't need any of those features. I plan to use the
> new tuner exclusively for OTA (ATSC, NYC area). I would prefer 2 or 3
> tuners and USB 3 as that is what the Liva X provides.

I use nothing but OTA ATSC (New York area as well actually!). When one
of my pcHDTV HD-5500 cards went and I discovered that they pretty much
don't exist any more I sent with an HDHomeRun Connect (US, model
HDHR4-2US). Can't possibly say enough about it. Two tuners with one
coax input and one Ethernet port. If you're not set on USB for some
reason, those are totally the way to go in my book. When any of my
other pcHDTV cards go I'm definitely getting another one just like it.

Tom
Re: Best tuner for Myth/ATSC? [ In reply to ]
On 2017-08-20 08:57 PM, A. F. Cano wrote:

> I don't have cable so don't need any of those features. I plan to use the
> new tuner exclusively for OTA (ATSC, NYC area). I would prefer 2 or 3
> tuners and USB 3 as that is what the Liva X provides.

DISCLAIMER: I haven't used _any_ USB tuners, but have researched a few
with the thought of using a Raspberry Pi as a MythTV backend. Following
is what I learned.

A) WinTV-HVR-955Q
http://hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr955q.html

If you do not wish to upgrade your GNU/Linux or MythTV installation,
then this USB option would provide 1 ATSC tuner that should work with
your existing configuration.

B) WinTV-dualHD TV Tuner
http://hauppauge.com/site/products/data_dualhd.html

If you are open to upgrading your GNU/Linux and MythTV installation,
then this USB option provides 2 ATCS tuners.

Note that the Hauppauge site indicates that they support the above two
tuners via a Personal Package Archive (PPA) for *ubuntu 16.04 and 17.04.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/linux.html

Note that I am not affiliated with Hauppauge, but have had good
experiences with the seven WinTV-HVR-2250's I purchased back in 2011.

Regards,
Curtis
Re: Best tuner for Myth/ATSC? [ In reply to ]
I'm a big HDhomerun user, I have 10 tuners, 2 primes (cable only) and 2
over the air units. They have been solid for me and not given me any
issues. so HDhomerun FTW!
Re: Best tuner for Myth/ATSC? [ In reply to ]
I have two PCTV 801e USB sticks that I have had for many years. They
work well to receive over the air digital TV. I have also used them for
cable clear QAM before Comcast started encrypting everything.. The
analog side of the tuner does not work with Linux.

Re: Best tuner for Myth/ATSC? WinTV-dualHD TV Tuner not found. [ In reply to ]
Thanks for replying. Based on your recommendations and that from other
respondents (thank you to all!) I have ordered a HDHR Connect, out of
stock so I still don't have it, and a WinTV-dualHD TV Tuner. This one
I have already received, but...

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 09:31:45AM -0600, Curtis Gedak wrote:
> B) WinTV-dualHD TV Tuner
> http://hauppauge.com/site/products/data_dualhd.html
>
> If you are open to upgrading your GNU/Linux and MythTV installation,
> then this USB option provides 2 ATCS tuners.

One tuner was quite limiting, so I decided to go with this one.

> Note that the Hauppauge site indicates that they support the above two
> tuners via a Personal Package Archive (PPA) for *ubuntu 16.04 and 17.04.
>
> http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/linux.html

The above notwithstanding, I'm having difficulties.

Is anyone using the Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (lsusb says it's a 955D)
with MythTV, under Debian)? under Ubuntu?

I've done everything they say in the above page, both under Debian 8
and Debian 9 and the packages don't seem to be available any more.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:b-rad/kernel+mediatree+hauppauge
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linux-image-mediatree
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-mediatree

The update fails with the following messages and thus the subsequent
installs also fail.

Debian 8 (jessie):

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/b-rad/kernel+mediatree+hauppauge/ubuntu/dists/jessie/main/binary-amd64/Packages 404 Not Found

Debian 9 (stretch)

W: The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/b-rad/kernel+mediatree+hauppauge/ubuntu artful Release' does not have a Release file.
N: Data from such a repository can't be authenticated and is therefore potentially dangerous to use.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
W: GPG error: http://www.deb-multimedia.org stretch InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 5C808C2B65558117
W: The repository 'http://www.deb-multimedia.org stretch InRelease' is not signed.
N: Data from such a repository can't be authenticated and is therefore potentially dangerous to use.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
E: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/b-rad/kernel+mediatree+hauppauge/ubuntu/dists/artful/main/binary-amd64/Packages 404 Not Found

In other parts of the above page, it mentions patching kernels, but there is
mention of kernel 3.16 (which is what's on Debian 8) and 4.4 (Debian 9 has
4.9) so there should be support already built-in.

lsusb recognizes the device in both jessie and stretch. Myth 0.27 that was
working fine with the old OnAir Creator, doesn't see it. I deleted the old
tuner and created a new one, but mythtv-setup doesn't seem to find the tuner.

I have tried to compile myth 0.29 on Debian 9 and after many tries I'm stuck
with errors on the zeromq module. See a separate posting with title:

Mythtv 0.29 compilation on Debian 9 fails.

for the details. So, at this point I can't do more with 0.29.

General questions:

Is a driver specific to this tuner needed? one that supports multiple
Mauppauge tuners? where could such a driver be found? (I couldn't find
it at the above page), or is the support for all Hauppauge tuners
already built-in in kernels 4.4 and later, like the linux support page
seems to imply?

Should Myth find this tuner just based on the usb info that the system knows
already (per the lsusb command)? if so, what specific commands/data do I need
to enter into mythtv-setup?

Thanks for any help.

Autustine.

Re: Best tuner for Myth/ATSC? WinTV-dualHD TV Tuner not found. [ In reply to ]
It is not good practice to mix ubuntu ppas with debian an vice-versa but
having said that change the ppa file to zesty instead of artful, it just
went beta this week so they may not have the ppa setup yet.

Re: Best tuner for Myth/ATSC? WinTV-dualHD TV Tuner not found. [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Sep 02, 2017 at 10:52:37PM -0400, blisbell . wrote:
> It is not good practice to mix ubuntu ppas with debian an vice-versa but

I agree. I'd rather not do that if the debian kernel (4.9 in stretch)
has the proper support. Does it? If not, is there a driver for the
Hauppauge tuners that could be added to the debian kernel? The linux
support page at Hauppauge says that kernel 4.2 has built-in support for
the WinTV-HVR-955Q and the WinTV-HVR-2255. Lsusb reports the tuner as
955D. No QAM but is that the only difference? Is this also supported
by the built-in driver? The 3.16 kernel in jessie doesn't seem to have
the proper drivers. The myth (0.27) I have there doesn't see the tuner.
Maybe the thing to do is upgrade the jessie machine (Liva X) to stretch.
As that is a major undertaking (what could go wrong?) I'd like to be
sure it wouldn't be for nothing.

> having said that change the ppa file to zesty instead of artful, it just

Doing that worked. I now have entries for

linux-headers-4.10.0-3020170809101 <none> 4.10.0-3020170
linux-headers-4.10.0-3020170809101 <none> 4.10.0-3020170
linux-headers-4.10.0-3220170816163 <none> 4.10.0-3220170
linux-headers-4.10.0-3220170816163 <none> 4.10.0-3220170
linux-headers-mediatree <none> 0.16.5+zesty
linux-image-mediatree <none> 0.16.5+zesty
linux-source-mediatree-4.10.0 <none> 4.10.0-3220170
oss4-dev <none> 4.2-build2010-

But given that (on the stretch machine) I'm running 4.9 already, this
seems like a downgrade.

> went beta this week so they may not have the ppa setup yet.

Augustine

Re: Best tuner for Myth/ATSC? WinTV-dualHD TV Tuner not found. [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2017-09-03 at 20:50 -0400, A. F. Cano wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 02, 2017 at 10:52:37PM -0400, blisbell . wrote:
> >    It is not good practice to mix ubuntu ppas with debian an vice-
> > versa but
>
> I agree.  I'd rather not do that if the debian kernel (4.9 in stretch)
> has the proper support.  Does it?  If not, is there a driver for the
> Hauppauge tuners that could be added to the debian kernel?

I'm not sure about 4.9, but if you need something newer then I would
recommend trying the kernel from stretch-backports, my own myth system
tracks buster (current testing, so the ~same kernels as are in stretch-
backports with some small lag) and has a WinTV-dualHD ("Model 01590
(USB device ID 2040:0265)" from [1]). The first tuner works ok -- AIUI
the second isn't yet supported even by bleeding edge kernels although
I'm only on 4.11 so far

Running things from Debian's own backports should be far preferable to
running things from other distros entirely (even ones as closely
related as Ubuntu) and cause much fewer problems. In particular for
kernels which have relatively modest requirements from the rest of the
systems taking kernels from backports is generally fine, you won't end
up pulling in huge swathes of packages.

I note that [1] says one variant works from 4.7 and the other from
4.11, so that seems like a good base irrespecive of which you have.
There is also links to firmware on that page.

Ian

[0] https://backports.debian.org/
[1] https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-dualHD

Re: Best tuner for Myth/ATSC? WinTV-dualHD TV Tuner not found. [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Sep 2, 2017 at 7:38 PM, A. F. Cano <afc@shibaya.lonestar.org> wrote:

> [...]
> tuner.
>
> I have tried to compile myth 0.29 on Debian 9 and after many tries I'm
> stuck
> with errors on the zeromq module. See a separate posting with title:
>
> Mythtv 0.29 compilation on Debian 9 fails.
>
> for the details. So, at this point I can't do more with 0.29.
>
> General questions:
>
> Is a driver specific to this tuner needed? one that supports multiple
> Mauppauge tuners? where could such a driver be found? (I couldn't find
> it at the above page), or is the support for all Hauppauge tuners
> already built-in in kernels 4.4 and later, like the linux support page
> seems to imply?
>
> Should Myth find this tuner just based on the usb info that the system
> knows
> already (per the lsusb command)? if so, what specific commands/data do I

Hi Autustine,

I don't have the same model tuner as you, but I do have the Hauppauge
HVR-2255 (which has been discontinued). It requires a firmware file to be
stored in your /lib/firmware directory. Your model does too. I am guessing
that it would be included in the packages that you are trying to install,
but maybe not. I remember when I got this tuner I had to ask by email a
person at Hauppauge in order to receive a beta version of the firmware and
do the kernel mods as described for the 3.16 kernel at the time.

I am running Ubuntu 16.04 now though so I didn't have to modify that
kernel, but I do still have to have that firmware file.

Since my tuner is a card installed inside the PC, it loads the firmware at
each boot. I assume that your USB tuner would load the firmware when it is
plugged in or at boot time if it's already plugged in, but I don't have any
direct experience with USB tuners.

HTH,

George
Re: Best tuner for Myth/ATSC? WinTV-dualHD TV Tuner not found. [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Sep 04, 2017 at 04:04:07PM -0500, George Bingham wrote:
> Hi?Autustine,
> I don't have the same model tuner as you, but I do have the Hauppauge
> HVR-2255 (which has been discontinued). It requires a firmware file to be

It occurred to me earlier today to look for firmware files. I'm pretty
sure I looked before but this time, thanks to the ubuntu repository I
added previously, I found this:

i linux-firmware-hauppauge 0.1.0+zesty 0.1.0+zesty

which I promptly installed.
`
> stored in your /lib/firmware directory. Your model does too. I am guessing
> that it would be included in the packages that you are trying to install,
> but maybe not. I remember when I got this tuner I had to ask by email a

I'm trying not to install a whole ubuntu kernel. If I can make it work
by installing firmware or drivers I'd prefer that. Unfortunately, this
firmware doesn't seem to do anything, or the kernel/system doesn't know
what to do with it.

I also manually loaded pvrusb2, the driver that the old usb tuner used,
but that too didn't make any difference. IIRC, this driver got loaded
automatically when the old tuner (OnAir Creator) was plugged in.

> person at Hauppauge in order to receive a beta version of the firmware and
> do the kernel mods as described for the 3.16 kernel at the time.
> I am running Ubuntu 16.04 now though so I didn't have to modify that
> kernel, but I do still have to have that firmware file.?

I wonder if this is not the correct firmware file for this tuner. The
firmware file installed is:

/lib/firmware/dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw

I think I'll call Hauppauge tomorrow.

> Since my tuner is a card installed inside the PC, it loads the firmware at
> each boot. I assume that your USB tuner would load the firmware when it is
> plugged in or at boot time if it's already plugged in, but I don't have

That's what I would have thought. This is what shows up in
/var/log/messages when plugging it in:

kernel: [435914.697341] usb 1-6: new high-speed USB device number 3 using ehci-pci
kernel: [435914.846884] usb 1-6: New USB device found, idVendor=2040, idProduct=026d
kernel: [435914.846891] usb 1-6: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=1, SerialNumber=2
kernel: [435914.846896] usb 1-6: Product: 955D
kernel: [435914.846900] usb 1-6: Manufacturer: HCW
kernel: [435914.846903] usb 1-6: SerialNumber: 0013946375
mtp-probe: checking bus 1, device 3: "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.2/usb1/1-6"
mtp-probe: bus: 1, device: 3 was not an MTP device

No mention of missing firmware files like I've seen in other cases.

> any direct experience with USB tuners.
> HTH,
> George

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'll keep trying. Any other hints
or advice most welcome.

Augustine

Re: Best tuner for Myth/ATSC? WinTV-dualHD TV Tuner not found. [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Sep 04, 2017 at 09:23:24PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Sun, 2017-09-03 at 20:50 -0400, A. F. Cano wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 02, 2017 at 10:52:37PM -0400, blisbell . wrote:
> > > ???It is not good practice to mix ubuntu ppas with debian an vice-
> > > versa but
> >
> > I agree.??I'd rather not do that if the debian kernel (4.9 in stretch)
> > has the proper support.??Does it???If not, is there a driver for the
> > Hauppauge tuners that could be added to the debian kernel?
>
> I'm not sure about 4.9, but if you need something newer then I would
> recommend trying the kernel from stretch-backports, my own myth system

Per the linuxtv.org page you refer to, it looks like I need 4.11,
so I added stretch-backports and I'm DLing it as I type.

> tracks buster (current testing, so the ~same kernels as are in stretch-
> backports with some small lag) and has a WinTV-dualHD ("Model 01590
> (USB device ID 2040:0265)" from [1]). The first tuner works ok -- AIUI

Mine says: ID 2040:026d. Lsusb -v doesn't return a Model, the closest
thing is "iProduct 1", but in /var/log/messages this shows up:

kernel: [435914.846896] usb 1-6: Product: 955D
kernel: [435914.846900] usb 1-6: Manufacturer: HCW
kernel: [435914.846903] usb 1-6: SerialNumber: 0013946375

So it looks like I have a model 1595, per the linuxtv.org page
referenced below.

> the second isn't yet supported even by bleeding edge kernels although
> I'm only on 4.11 so far

That's disappointing. I wonder if that's the case for all multiple-tuner
Hauppauge products. Elsewhere someone said that the quadHD is the best
tuner by a long shot. After reading carefully the linuxtv.org page,
there appear to be kernel patches to use both tuners. Not sure I'll go
that route or wait for those patches to propagate into stretch-backports.

> Running things from Debian's own backports should be far preferable to
> running things from other distros entirely (even ones as closely
> related as Ubuntu) and cause much fewer problems. In particular for

I agree.

> kernels which have relatively modest requirements from the rest of the
> systems taking kernels from backports is generally fine, you won't end
> up pulling in huge swathes of packages.
>
> I note that [1] says one variant works from 4.7 and the other from
> 4.11, so that seems like a good base irrespecive of which you have.

Strange. The lsusb -v output for the 026d device there says it's a 955D
in the iProduct field, mine only says "1", but the kernel message says
it's a 955D. Still, the usb ID points to needing kernel 4.11.

> There is also links to firmware on that page.

The firmware is for the 2040:0265, so no wonder it didn't do anything.
(/lib/firmware/dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw). I had installed it from the
ubuntu ppa.

> Ian

Thank you very much! At least now there's light at the end of the
tunnel. First, I'll see if the tuner is visible to kernel 4.11,
then I'll decide if I want to go the patch route or wait for the
2-tuner modifications to propagate to stretch-backports.

After that, I'll have to upgrade the myth machine (liva X) that is still
running jessie. I'm doing all this in a test machine for now.