Mailing List Archive

Recording titles via UPnP
I have a couple of Blu-Ray players that recognize my MythTV 0.28 backend
via UPnP. Folders are presented which list my recordings. However, the
titles aren't very user-friendly. The title itself is shown but no other
identifying information such as subtitle is shown. For instance, if I have
multiple recordings of series XYZ, I see:

XYZ
XYZ
XYZ
XYZ

I'd rather see:

XYZ -- The Beginning
XYZ -- More Adventures
XYZ -- Here We Go Again

and so forth.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave
--
Dave Ulrick
Email: d-ulrick@comcast.net
Re: Recording titles via UPnP [ In reply to ]
On 11/08/17 14:03, Dave Ulrick wrote:
> I have a couple of Blu-Ray players that recognize my MythTV 0.28 backend
> via UPnP. Folders are presented which list my recordings. However, the
> titles aren't very user-friendly. The title itself is shown but no other
> identifying information such as subtitle is shown. For instance, if I
> have multiple recordings of series XYZ, I see:
>
> XYZ
> XYZ
> XYZ
> XYZ
>
> I'd rather see:
>
> XYZ -- The Beginning
> XYZ -- More Adventures
> XYZ -- Here We Go Again
>
> and so forth.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Use mythlink - see immediately preceding posts. Put its results folder
in your videos directory and scan for new videos. Or you can copy just
a few links instead. And have an empty folder that you can link in as
an alternative videos source so that you can reset things easily. See
yesterday's posts!

But I used to have to do this to get the files to play via upnp.
Nowadays I see several ways of displaying the menu. YMMV

John P

Re: Recording titles via UPnP [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 11 Aug 2017, John Pilkington wrote:

> On 11/08/17 14:03, Dave Ulrick wrote:
>> I have a couple of Blu-Ray players that recognize my MythTV 0.28 backend
>> via UPnP. Folders are presented which list my recordings. However, the
>> titles aren't very user-friendly. The title itself is shown but no other
>> identifying information such as subtitle is shown. For instance, if I have
>> multiple recordings of series XYZ, I see:
>>
>> XYZ
>> XYZ
>> XYZ
>> XYZ
>>
>> I'd rather see:
>>
>> XYZ -- The Beginning
>> XYZ -- More Adventures
>> XYZ -- Here We Go Again
>>
>> and so forth.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dave
>
> Use mythlink - see immediately preceding posts. Put its results folder in
> your videos directory and scan for new videos. Or you can copy just a few
> links instead. And have an empty folder that you can link in as an
> alternative videos source so that you can reset things easily. See
> yesterday's posts!

I'm somewhat familiar with mythlink. In fact, I have a cron job set up to
run it several times a day.

Just now I symlinked my Links directory into the Video directory then ran
a video scan. This rendered mythbackend unresponsive (perhaps because I
have hundreds of recorded episodes) so I backed out this change. I also
tried symlinking Links into the Recordings directory but my UPnP client
doesn't see a Links folder inside Recordings.

In the past, I played around with Serviio, a UPnP server. I was able to
get it to serve my MythTV Links directory so that my UPnP clients would
see it but it seemed to me that Serviio was a bit of a resource hog so I
stopped running it. I suppose I could try it once more.

Dave
--
Dave Ulrick
d-ulrick@comcast.net
Re: Recording titles via UPnP [ In reply to ]
On 11/08/17 18:32, Dave Ulrick wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Aug 2017, John Pilkington wrote:
>
>> On 11/08/17 14:03, Dave Ulrick wrote:
>>> I have a couple of Blu-Ray players that recognize my MythTV 0.28
>>> backend
>>> via UPnP. Folders are presented which list my recordings. However, the
>>> titles aren't very user-friendly. The title itself is shown but no
>>> other
>>> identifying information such as subtitle is shown. For instance, if
>>> I have
>>> multiple recordings of series XYZ, I see:
>>>
>>> XYZ
>>> XYZ
>>> XYZ
>>> XYZ
>>>
>>> I'd rather see:
>>>
>>> XYZ -- The Beginning
>>> XYZ -- More Adventures
>>> XYZ -- Here We Go Again
>>>
>>> and so forth.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Dave
>>
>> Use mythlink - see immediately preceding posts. Put its results
>> folder in your videos directory and scan for new videos. Or you can
>> copy just a few links instead. And have an empty folder that you can
>> link in as an alternative videos source so that you can reset things
>> easily. See yesterday's posts!
>
> I'm somewhat familiar with mythlink. In fact, I have a cron job set up
> to run it several times a day.
>
> Just now I symlinked my Links directory into the Video directory then
> ran a video scan. This rendered mythbackend unresponsive (perhaps
> because I have hundreds of recorded episodes) so I backed out this
> change. I also tried symlinking Links into the Recordings directory but
> my UPnP client doesn't see a Links folder inside Recordings.

For proof of concept you could try it with a subset of your links
directory. It's going to create a thumbnail for every recording there,
and display in a long, long list...

Re: Recording titles via UPnP [ In reply to ]
> Use mythlink - see immediately preceding posts. Put its results folder in
> your videos directory and scan for new videos. Or you can copy just a few
> links instead. And have an empty folder that you can link in as an
> alternative videos source so that you can reset things easily. See
> yesterday's posts!
>
> But I used to have to do this to get the files to play via upnp. Nowadays I
> see several ways of displaying the menu. YMMV

Any tips on what to select in mythlink. I First tried all links
generated then switched to the titles subfolder which seems what I
want. The reason I ask is I am not sure how it scans the folder
structure and how that gets into the categories that it shows in the
video folder of the upnp device. Video->Series-> looks somewhat
promising.

John
Re: Recording titles via UPnP [ In reply to ]
On 23/10/17 04:20, John Drescher wrote:
>> Use mythlink - see immediately preceding posts. Put its results folder in
>> your videos directory and scan for new videos. Or you can copy just a few
>> links instead. And have an empty folder that you can link in as an
>> alternative videos source so that you can reset things easily. See
>> yesterday's posts!
>>
>> But I used to have to do this to get the files to play via upnp. Nowadays I
>> see several ways of displaying the menu. YMMV
>
> Any tips on what to select in mythlink. I First tried all links
> generated then switched to the titles subfolder which seems what I
> want. The reason I ask is I am not sure how it scans the folder
> structure and how that gets into the categories that it shows in the
> video folder of the upnp device. Video->Series-> looks somewhat
> promising.
>
> John

Hi John. I'm not sure I see your problem. I use this in mythlink

--format '%T-%cn-%Y%m%d-%H%i-%S'

and upnp shows around the first 30 characters from that, and a spurious
date. I haven't used 'Series' much.

Perhaps you can tweak the format, or even edit the link names, to get a
display that suits you; then reset with a blank scan first. I think you
need to do your basic selection before upnp starts on it.

Maybe someone else?

John P

Re: Recording titles via UPnP [ In reply to ]
Thanks I will experiment. When I tried series less than 10 of the the
shows showed up when I expected more than 100. Not sure why.

John

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 5:18 AM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk@tesco.net> wrote:
> On 23/10/17 04:20, John Drescher wrote:
>>>
>>> Use mythlink - see immediately preceding posts. Put its results folder
>>> in
>>> your videos directory and scan for new videos. Or you can copy just a
>>> few
>>> links instead. And have an empty folder that you can link in as an
>>> alternative videos source so that you can reset things easily. See
>>> yesterday's posts!
>>>
>>> But I used to have to do this to get the files to play via upnp. Nowadays
>>> see several ways of displaying the menu. YMMV
>>

>> Any tips on what to select in mythlink. I First tried all links
>> generated then switched to the titles subfolder which seems what I
>> want. The reason I ask is I am not sure how it scans the folder
>> structure and how that gets into the categories that it shows in the
>> video folder of the upnp device. Video->Series-> looks somewhat
>> promising.
>>
>> John
>

> Hi John. I'm not sure I see your problem. I use this in mythlink
>
> --format '%T-%cn-%Y%m%d-%H%i-%S'
>
> and upnp shows around the first 30 characters from that, and a spurious
> date. I haven't used 'Series' much.
>
> Perhaps you can tweak the format, or even edit the link names, to get a
> display that suits you; then reset with a blank scan first. I think you
> need to do your basic selection before upnp starts on it.
>
> Maybe someone else?
>

> John P

John M. Drescher
Re: Recording titles via UPnP [ In reply to ]
I just found a different option that fixes the original issue. I made
a change in line 1067 of mythtv/programs/mythbackend/upnpcdstv.cpp

to append the sSubtitle to the sTitle

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/fixes/0.28/mythtv/programs/mythbackend/upnpcdstv.cpp#L1067

Seems to do what I need.

John