Mailing List Archive

Audio issues - New Install
I have a brand new install on CentOS 7.

Backend is a VM and FE is on Zotac Ion

When I open Alsammixer, i get the default one

http://tinypic.com/r/2eldu9s/9

I then press F6 and select the NVidia card

http://tinypic.com/r/rli9ty/9

However, if I press escape and go right back to alsamixer, it reverts it
back to the original one.

lspci -vvnn reveals this for Audio:

00:08.0 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation MCP79 High Definition Audio
[10de:0ac0] (rev b1)
Subsystem: PC Partner Limited / Sapphire Technology Device
[174b:437b]
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 0 (500ns min, 1250ns max)
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 22
Region 0: Memory at fae78000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel

[mythtv@mythfe7 ~]$ aplay -l
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1
Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC662 rev1 Digital [ALC662 rev1
Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

[mythtv@mythfe7 ~]$ aplay -L
null
pulse
PulseAudio Sound Server
sysdefault:CARD=NVidia
HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Analog
Default Audio Device
front:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Analog
Front speakers
surround21:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Analog
2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
surround40:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Analog
surround41:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Analog
surround50:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Analog
surround51:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Analog
surround71:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Analog
iec958:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Digital
IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
HDMI Audio Output

Here's my /etc/asound.conf

# Place your global alsa-lib configuration here...
#
pcm.!default {
type hw
card 0
device 3
}
~
~

Under Mythfrontend Setup/Audio
I have selected the ALSA:hdmi:Card=NVIDIA:DEV=0 that comes as option

When you do "Test" - everything comes ok except sound for Center (Comes off
Surround Left) & Surround Left (swapped to Center)

I also can't hear audio off quite a few movies, and when I check my audio
receiver shows input as PCM. The ones that have AC3 or DTS comes out fine
(although the sound coming off wrong speakers irks me)

I am not hearing any TrueHD even though that is checked along with HBR box
that's checked by default

I am giving data that I feel is needed so apologies if it's too much or too
little.
.

I am also hoping alsamixer can change default from PulseAudio to HDMI
I can def give any other info that's required to solve this
Re: Audio issues - New Install [ In reply to ]
On 08/09/2017 02:09 PM, Ashu Desai wrote:
> [...]
> ~
>
> Under Mythfrontend Setup/Audio
> I have selected the ALSA:hdmi:Card=NVIDIA:DEV=0 that comes as option
>
> When you do "Test" - everything comes ok except sound for Center
> (Comes off Surround Left) & Surround Left (swapped to Center)
>
> I also can't hear audio off quite a few movies, and when I check my
> audio receiver shows input as PCM. The ones that have AC3 or DTS comes
> out fine (although the sound coming off wrong speakers irks me)
>
> I am not hearing any TrueHD even though that is checked along with HBR
> box that's checked by default
>
> I am giving data that I feel is needed so apologies if it's too much
> or too little.
> .
>
> I am also hoping alsamixer can change default from PulseAudio to HDMI
> I can def give any other info that's required to solve this

Check your speaker configuration - 5.1 7.1 or stereo. This can affect
which speaker the sounds come out of for PCM. You can try different
values and see if anything works,

Is the audio passed to the sound system via HDMI? If there is a TOSLINK
connection in there, that may affect things, because TOSLINK only
supports 2 channels in PCM mode, so if it is sending more than 2
channels they may get lost.

If AC3 and DTS is getting to the wrong speakers you must have something
else going on, because the sound system itself will be sorting out which
track goes to which speaker. (Speaker wires crossed?)

Note that the audio system test uses PCM sound. So you cannot test how
AC3 will work that way. You say that the audio system test works but PCM
movies don't work. That does not make sense.

If PCM does not work at all you can get past it by selecting "Upconvert
stereo to 5.1 surround". That will convert PCM audio to Dolby Digital
(AC3).
Re: Audio issues - New Install [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 1:31 PM, Peter Bennett <cats22@comcast.net> wrote:

> [...]
>
> When you do "Test" - everything comes ok except sound for Center (Comes
> off Surround Left) & Surround Left (swapped to Center)
>
> I also can't hear audio off quite a few movies, and when I check my audio
> receiver shows input as PCM. The ones that have AC3 or DTS comes out fine
> (although the sound coming off wrong speakers irks me)
>
> I am not hearing any TrueHD even though that is checked along with HBR box
> that's checked by default
>
> I am giving data that I feel is needed so apologies if it's too much or
> too little.
> .
>
> I am also hoping alsamixer can change default from PulseAudio to HDMI
> I can def give any other info that's required to solve this
>

> Check your speaker configuration - 5.1 7.1 or stereo. This can affect
> which speaker the sounds come out of for PCM. You can try different values

I have 5.1

> Is the audio passed to the sound system via HDMI?

Yes, HDMI

> If there is a TOSLINK connection in there, that may affect things, because
> TOSLINK only supports 2 channels in PCM mode, so if it is sending more than
> 2 channels they may get lost.
>
> If AC3 and DTS is getting to the wrong speakers you must have something
> else going on, because the sound system itself will be sorting out which
> track goes to which speaker. (Speaker wires crossed?)

When I give the cli command "speaker-test...." audio comes out perfectly
like it's supposed to.

> Note that the audio system test uses PCM sound. So you cannot test how AC3
> will work that way. You say that the audio system test works but PCM movies
> don't work. That does not make sense.
>
> If PCM does not work at all you can get past it by selecting "Upconvert
> stereo to 5.1 surround". That will convert PCM audio to Dolby Digital
> (AC3).

I already have it checked.

Is there a way to fix the alsamixer thing? It somehow keeps showing default
as Pulse and doesn't seem to retain my changes after I press esc
Re: Audio issues - New Install [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 1:54 PM, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> If AC3 and DTS is getting to the wrong speakers you must have something
>> else going on, because the sound system itself will be sorting out which
>> track goes to which speaker. (Speaker wires crossed?)
>>

> When I give the cli command "speaker-test...." audio comes out perfectly
> like it's supposed to.
>

>> Note that the audio system test uses PCM sound. So you cannot test how
>> AC3 will work that way. You say that the audio system test works but PCM
>> movies don't work. That does not make sense.
>>
>> If PCM does not work at all you can get past it by selecting "Upconvert
>> stereo to 5.1 surround". That will convert PCM audio to Dolby Digital
>> (AC3).
>>

> I already have it checked.
>

> Is there a way to fix the alsamixer thing? It somehow keeps showing
> default as Pulse and doesn't seem to retain my changes after I press esc

BTW this link seems to be also talking same thing I am - however, when I
added the "pcm.!hdmi..." piece in ~/.asoundrc file (there wasn't any such
file so I had to create it) - nothing happened. Is it still valid being
that I have the latest alsa?

Also added same in /etc/asound.conf - which now looks like this:

pcm.!default {
type hw
card 0
device 3
}

pcm.!hdmi {
type route
slave.pcm
"cards.HDA-Intel.pcm.hdmi.0:CARD=NVidia,AES0=0x4,AES1=0x82,AES2=0x0,AES3=0x2"
ttable.0.0 1
ttable.1.1 1
ttable.6.4 1
ttable.7.5 1
ttable.4.2 1
ttable.5.3 1
ttable.2.6 1
ttable.3.7 1
}
Re: Audio issues - New Install [ In reply to ]

Re: Audio issues - New Install [ In reply to ]
On 09/08/17 19:54, Ashu Desai wrote:

> [...]
>
> If AC3 and DTS is getting to the wrong speakers you must have
> something else going on, because the sound system itself will be
> sorting out which track goes to which speaker. (Speaker wires crossed?)
>

> When I give the cli command "speaker-test...." audio comes out perfectly
> like it's supposed to.
>
> Note that the audio system test uses PCM sound. So you cannot test
> how AC3 will work that way. You say that the audio system test works
> but PCM movies don't work. That does not make sense.
>
> If PCM does not work at all you can get past it by selecting
> "Upconvert stereo to 5.1 surround". That will convert PCM audio to
> Dolby Digital (AC3).
>

> I already have it checked.
>
> Is there a way to fix the alsamixer thing? It somehow keeps showing
> default as Pulse and doesn't seem to retain my changes after I press esc

I have only a stereo-via-hdmi setup with a nvidia GT 710 card. At
present I'm using the 340.102 driver and Fedora 25. I haven't knowingly
done anything with alsa or pulse.

ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1 , selected from the frontend setup wizard,
works with myth, and with vlc when selected as its audio device. DEV=0
doesn't, but is selected by SMplayer which seems to offer no other hdmi
option. Just FYI

John

Re: Audio issues - New Install [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 2:50 PM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk@tesco.net> wrote:

> [...]
>> how AC3 will work that way. You say that the audio system test works
>> but PCM movies don't work. That does not make sense.
>>
>> If PCM does not work at all you can get past it by selecting
>> "Upconvert stereo to 5.1 surround". That will convert PCM audio to
>> Dolby Digital (AC3).
>>

>> I already have it checked.
>>
>> Is there a way to fix the alsamixer thing? It somehow keeps showing
>> default as Pulse and doesn't seem to retain my changes after I press esc
>>

> I have only a stereo-via-hdmi setup with a nvidia GT 710 card. At present
> I'm using the 340.102 driver and Fedora 25. I haven't knowingly done
> anything with alsa or pulse.
>
> ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1 , selected from the frontend setup wizard,
> works with myth, and with vlc when selected as its audio device. DEV=0
> doesn't, but is selected by SMplayer which seems to offer no other hdmi

I have an older FE (0.27/fixes) that works fine on the same hardware. I
didnt want upgrade process so got a new SAS drive and doing a brand new
install on the same HW.

I can see some differences off the bat. example alsamixer shows default
card as HDA Nvidia (as opposed to Pulse) and Chipset as Nvidia MCP79/7A
HDMI (as opposed to Realtek something)

also alsamixer shows the Nvidia card and any changes I make are saved if I
do alsactl store

With the new setup, I have to do F6 to select the Nvidia card and no matter
what I do - doesn't save the config.even if I start alsamixer right away.
Re: Audio issues - New Install [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 3:11 PM, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 2:50 PM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk@tesco.net> wrote:
>
>> On 09/08/17 19:54, Ashu Desai wrote:
>>

>>> On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 1:31 PM, Peter Bennett <cats22@comcast.net
>>> <mailto:cats22@comcast.net>> wrote:

>>> Check your speaker configuration - 5.1 7.1 or stereo. This can
>>> affect which speaker the sounds come out of for PCM. You can try
>>> different values and see if anything works,
>>>

>>> I have 5.1
>>>

>>> Is the audio passed to the sound system via HDMI?
>>>

>>> Yes, HDMI
>>>
>>> If there is a TOSLINK connection in there, that may affect things,
>>> because TOSLINK only supports 2 channels in PCM mode, so if it is
>>> sending more than 2 channels they may get lost.
>>>
>>> If AC3 and DTS is getting to the wrong speakers you must have
>>> something else going on, because the sound system itself will be
>>> sorting out which track goes to which speaker. (Speaker wires
>>> crossed?)
>>>

>>> When I give the cli command "speaker-test...." audio comes out perfectly
>>> like it's supposed to.
>>>
>>> Note that the audio system test uses PCM sound. So you cannot test
>>> how AC3 will work that way. You say that the audio system test works
>>> but PCM movies don't work. That does not make sense.
>>>
>>> If PCM does not work at all you can get past it by selecting
>>> "Upconvert stereo to 5.1 surround". That will convert PCM audio to
>>> Dolby Digital (AC3).
>>>

>>> I already have it checked.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to fix the alsamixer thing? It somehow keeps showing
>>> default as Pulse and doesn't seem to retain my changes after I press esc
>>>

>> I have only a stereo-via-hdmi setup with a nvidia GT 710 card. At
>> present I'm using the 340.102 driver and Fedora 25. I haven't knowingly
>> done anything with alsa or pulse.
>>
>> ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1 , selected from the frontend setup wizard,
>> works with myth, and with vlc when selected as its audio device. DEV=0
>> doesn't, but is selected by SMplayer which seems to offer no other hdmi
>> option. Just FYI
>>
>> John
>>

> I have an older FE (0.27/fixes) that works fine on the same hardware. I
> didnt want upgrade process so got a new SAS drive and doing a brand new
> install on the same HW.
>
> I can see some differences off the bat. example alsamixer shows default
> card as HDA Nvidia (as opposed to Pulse) and Chipset as Nvidia MCP79/7A
> HDMI (as opposed to Realtek something)
>
> also alsamixer shows the Nvidia card and any changes I make are saved if I
> do alsactl store
>
> With the new setup, I have to do F6 to select the Nvidia card and no
> matter what I do - doesn't save the config.even if I start alsamixer right
> away.

I added optical cable - and everything works fine. HDMI audio - comes out
from different speakers.
Re: Audio issues - New Install [ In reply to ]

>>> I have only a stereo-via-hdmi setup with a nvidia GT 710 card. At
>>> present I'm using the 340.102 driver and Fedora 25. I haven't knowingly
>>> done anything with alsa or pulse.
>>>
>>> ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1 , selected from the frontend setup wizard,
>>> works with myth, and with vlc when selected as its audio device. DEV=0
>>> doesn't, but is selected by SMplayer which seems to offer no other hdmi
>>> option. Just FYI
>>>
>>> John
>>>

>> I have an older FE (0.27/fixes) that works fine on the same hardware. I
>> didnt want upgrade process so got a new SAS drive and doing a brand new
>> install on the same HW.
>>
>> I can see some differences off the bat. example alsamixer shows default
>> card as HDA Nvidia (as opposed to Pulse) and Chipset as Nvidia MCP79/7A
>> HDMI (as opposed to Realtek something)
>>
>> also alsamixer shows the Nvidia card and any changes I make are saved if
>> I do alsactl store
>>
>> With the new setup, I have to do F6 to select the Nvidia card and no
>> matter what I do - doesn't save the config.even if I start alsamixer right
>> away.
>>

> I added optical cable - and everything works fine. HDMI audio - comes out
> from different speakers.

Any ideas? I am trying to debug but not sure what to do here.
Re: Audio issues - New Install [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 10:18 AM, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I have an older FE (0.27/fixes) that works fine on the same hardware. I
>>> didnt want upgrade process so got a new SAS drive and doing a brand new
>>> install on the same HW.
>>>
>>> I can see some differences off the bat. example alsamixer shows default
>>> card as HDA Nvidia (as opposed to Pulse) and Chipset as Nvidia MCP79/7A
>>> HDMI (as opposed to Realtek something)
>>>
>>> also alsamixer shows the Nvidia card and any changes I make are saved if
>>> I do alsactl store
>>>
>>> With the new setup, I have to do F6 to select the Nvidia card and no
>>> matter what I do - doesn't save the config.even if I start alsamixer right
>>> away.
>>>

>> I added optical cable - and everything works fine. HDMI audio - comes out
>> from different speakers.
>>

> Any ideas? I am trying to debug but not sure what to do here.
>
> Here's what I found searching "mythtv wrong speaker":
http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2011-January/308620.html

Karl
Re: Audio issues - New Install [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 2:01 PM, Karl Newman <newmank1@asme.org> wrote:

>>> I added optical cable - and everything works fine. HDMI audio - comes
>>> out from different speakers.
>>>

>> Any ideas? I am trying to debug but not sure what to do here.
>>
>> Here's what I found searching "mythtv wrong speaker":
> http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2011-January/308620.html
>
> Karl

Yep - I did just that - and it didnt work. Now it may have to do with the
alsamixer issue - it doesn't save changes. So when I press escape - it
seems to go back to default rather than the selected Sound Card.

Not sure how to get alsamixer to save.

Re: Audio issues - New Install [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 12:05 PM, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 2:01 PM, Karl Newman <newmank1@asme.org> wrote:

>>> Any ideas? I am trying to debug but not sure what to do here.
>>>
>>> Here's what I found searching "mythtv wrong speaker":
>> http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2011-January/308620.html
>>
>> Karl
>>

> Yep - I did just that - and it didnt work. Now it may have to do with the
> alsamixer issue - it doesn't save changes. So when I press escape - it
> seems to go back to default rather than the selected Sound Card.
>
> Not sure how to get alsamixer to save.

Maybe you need to disable Pulse Audio... I don't use it, but I think it
might override alsa.

Karl
Re: Audio issues - New Install [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 3:08 PM, Karl Newman <newmank1@asme.org> wrote:

> Maybe you need to disable Pulse Audio... I don't use it, but I think it
> might override alsa.

This can be tricky to do in Fedora and I'm sure it's similar in CentOS.
I've found that:

chmod -x /usr/bin/pulseaudio

works well. You could put that in /etc/rc.d/rc.local if you wanted or just
do it every time that there is a pulseaudio update (with dnf / yum
upgrade). An upgrade to pulseaudio will reset the permissions.

It's very difficult to remove pulseaudio without removing tons of programs
that depend on it. I've actually learned to live with pulseaudio but I'll
run that line again if it ever bothers me in the future.

It is worth a try for now because it's very easy to change the executable
back to normal.

Jerry
Re: Audio issues - New Install [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 3:26 PM, Jerry <mythtv@hambone.e4ward.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 3:08 PM, Karl Newman <newmank1@asme.org> wrote:
>

>> Maybe you need to disable Pulse Audio... I don't use it, but I think it
>> might override alsa.
>>

> This can be tricky to do in Fedora and I'm sure it's similar in CentOS.
> I've found that:
>
> chmod -x /usr/bin/pulseaudio
>
> works well. You could put that in /etc/rc.d/rc.local if you wanted or
> just do it every time that there is a pulseaudio update (with dnf / yum
> upgrade). An upgrade to pulseaudio will reset the permissions.
>
> It's very difficult to remove pulseaudio without removing tons of programs
> that depend on it. I've actually learned to live with pulseaudio but I'll
> run that line again if it ever bothers me in the future.
>
> It is worth a try for now because it's very easy to change the executable
> back to normal.
>
> Thank you - I did that.

However, when I do alsamixer - the default pulseaudio comes up (maybe i
need to reboot it?)

And here's what I am unable to fix. I press F6 to choose the HDA NVidia
card - but when I press escape - and go back to alsamixer, it reverts back
to the default one...
Re: Audio issues - New Install [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 6:54 PM, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 3:26 PM, Jerry <mythtv@hambone.e4ward.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 3:08 PM, Karl Newman <newmank1@asme.org> wrote:
>>

>>> Maybe you need to disable Pulse Audio... I don't use it, but I think it
>>> might override alsa.
>>>

>> This can be tricky to do in Fedora and I'm sure it's similar in CentOS.
>> I've found that:
>>
>> chmod -x /usr/bin/pulseaudio

I did this and this is what I got after a reboot

[mythtv@mythfe7 ~]$ alsamixer
ALSA lib pulse.c:243:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect:
Connection refused

cannot open mixer: Connection refused

I think it's the permissions?

[mythtv@mythfe7 ~]$ ls -ahl /usr/bin/alsamixer
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 66K Nov 7 2016 /usr/bin/alsamixer

Should I be changing permissions?

--
http://about.me/adesai
Re: Audio issues - New Install [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 8:14 PM, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 6:54 PM, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> This can be tricky to do in Fedora and I'm sure it's similar in CentOS.
>>> I've found that:
>>>
>>> chmod -x /usr/bin/pulseaudio
>>>

> I did this and this is what I got after a reboot
>
> [mythtv@mythfe7 ~]$ alsamixer
> ALSA lib pulse.c:243:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect:
> Connection refused
>
> cannot open mixer: Connection refused
>

> I think it's the permissions?
>
> [mythtv@mythfe7 ~]$ ls -ahl /usr/bin/alsamixer
> -rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 66K Nov 7 2016 /usr/bin/alsamixer
>
> Should I be changing permissions?

Sorry about that. It worked for me. If you can't get alsamixer to open,
then I'd switch it back and reboot.

chmod +x /usr/bin/pulseaudio

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_sound_problems has some
suggestions, specifically:

using dnf or yum (not both -- pick the one you use)

dnf|yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio

I wasn't able to fully disable pulseaudio until changing permissions as I
told you.
Re: Audio issues - New Install [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 7:31 PM, Jerry <mythtv@hambone.e4ward.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 8:14 PM, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 6:54 PM, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I did this and this is what I got after a reboot
>>
>> [mythtv@mythfe7 ~]$ alsamixer
>> ALSA lib pulse.c:243:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect:
>> Connection refused
>>
>> cannot open mixer: Connection refused
>>

>> I think it's the permissions?
>>
>> [mythtv@mythfe7 ~]$ ls -ahl /usr/bin/alsamixer
>> -rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 66K Nov 7 2016 /usr/bin/alsamixer
>>
>> Should I be changing permissions?
>>

> Sorry about that. It worked for me. If you can't get alsamixer to open,
> then I'd switch it back and reboot.
>
> chmod +x /usr/bin/pulseaudio
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_sound_problems has some
> suggestions, specifically:
>
> using dnf or yum (not both -- pick the one you use)
>
> dnf|yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
>
> I wasn't able to fully disable pulseaudio until changing permissions as I
> told you.

That changed my default to HD NVidia - however it gives this static sound
like before when playing certain files or any music (mp3)
Basically FE doesn't like those soundtracks.I looked at them

For example - my movie U-571 with DTS - static noise. Fast & Furious - DTS
- plays just fine.
Re: Audio issues - New Install [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 9:47 PM, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 7:31 PM, Jerry <mythtv@hambone.e4ward.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 8:14 PM, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I did this and this is what I got after a reboot
>>>
>>> [mythtv@mythfe7 ~]$ alsamixer
>>> ALSA lib pulse.c:243:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect:
>>> Connection refused
>>>
>>> cannot open mixer: Connection refused
>>>

>>> I think it's the permissions?
>>>
>>> [mythtv@mythfe7 ~]$ ls -ahl /usr/bin/alsamixer
>>> -rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 66K Nov 7 2016 /usr/bin/alsamixer
>>>
>>> Should I be changing permissions?
>>>

>> Sorry about that. It worked for me. If you can't get alsamixer to open,
>> then I'd switch it back and reboot.
>>
>> chmod +x /usr/bin/pulseaudio
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_sound_problems has some
>> suggestions, specifically:
>>
>> using dnf or yum (not both -- pick the one you use)
>>
>> dnf|yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
>>
>> I wasn't able to fully disable pulseaudio until changing permissions as I
>> told you.
>>

> That changed my default to HD NVidia - however it gives this static sound
> like before when playing certain files or any music (mp3)
> Basically FE doesn't like those soundtracks.I looked at them
>
> For example - my movie U-571 with DTS - static noise. Fast & Furious - DTS
> - plays just fine.
>

> There is a KODI page on working with PulseAudio. Check it out, it might
help you. It took me a few minutes to try the command line choices. You
might be able to select the proper sound card this way at least.

http://kodi.wiki/view/PulseAudio

I've been trying to get my passthrough working in KODI -- I get static like
you do unless I disable the passthrough settings. It works with other
programs but not with KODI.

That is, I don't get any errors in Plex Media Player and MythTV, but how
can you really tell if you have DTS or not? I guess it either makes static
or it works.

Hopefully, you will have more luck that I am having with KODI. I am
throwing in the towel for the rest of today.