before it is shutdown), compares the results to the previous scan, and
then presents the differences to the user?

e.g. 'New channel "XYZ" found on Input 1. Add/Ignore?'
'Channel "XYZ" moved to frequency/sid/... Update?'

Is this feasible?

Does anyone else think this is a good idea?

Regards

Jeff
Re: Automatic channel scans [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2017-08-08 at 20:01 +0200, Jeff wrote:
> It seems to me that there are changes to the channel line-up on Astra
> something every couple of weeks. Mostly I don't notice until
> recordings
> start failing, and then I don't have the necessary block of couple of
> hours to do anything about it, and so I end up running mythtv-setup
> perhaps every 18 months.
>
> Would it not be possible to achieve something like automatic channel
> updates by having a job run, say once a week or once a month, which
> performs a scan when the backend is not being used (e.g. in my case,
> before it is shutdown), compares the results to the previous scan,
> and
> then presents the differences to the user?
>
> e.g. 'New channel "XYZ" found on Input 1. Add/Ignore?'
>      'Channel "XYZ" moved to frequency/sid/... Update?'
>
> Is this feasible?
>
> Does anyone else think this is a good idea?

I was thinking about the same sort of idea / problem. In the western
hemisphere. We have random frequencies set up for temporary broadcasts.
aka Wild Feeds.

 Andrew
Re: Automatic channel scans [ In reply to ]
On 08/08/17 19:01, Jeff wrote:
> It seems to me that there are changes to the channel line-up on Astra
> something every couple of weeks. Mostly I don't notice until recordings
> start failing, and then I don't have the necessary block of couple of
> hours to do anything about it, and so I end up running mythtv-setup
> perhaps every 18 months.
>
> Would it not be possible to achieve something like automatic channel
> updates by having a job run, say once a week or once a month, which
> performs a scan when the backend is not being used (e.g. in my case,
> before it is shutdown), compares the results to the previous scan, and
> then presents the differences to the user?
>
> e.g. 'New channel "XYZ" found on Input 1. Add/Ignore?'
> 'Channel "XYZ" moved to frequency/sid/... Update?'
>
> Is this feasible?
>
> Does anyone else think this is a good idea?
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff

Yes, it is a good idea and is probably feasible with some changes to mythtv.

mythtv-setup already has the capability to perform an automated scan and
either apply immediately or save it for later use, see
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Command_Line_Channel_Scanner
However, as far as I can tell this automated scan does not work for
DVB-S/S2, hence changes to mythtv.

I was thinking of something along the lines of comparing current channel
setup with automated last scan and just identify something has changed,
the user would then use mythtv-setup manually, to either rescan existing
transports (with search for new transports selected) or import the
automated scan results.

Mike

Re: Automatic channel scans [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 12:19:49PM +0100, Mike Bibbings wrote:
>On 08/08/17 19:01, Jeff wrote:
>>It seems to me that there are changes to the channel line-up on Astra
>>something every couple of weeks. Mostly I don't notice until recordings
>>start failing, and then I don't have the necessary block of couple of
>>hours to do anything about it, and so I end up running mythtv-setup
>>perhaps every 18 months.
>>
>>Would it not be possible to achieve something like automatic channel
>>updates by having a job run, say once a week or once a month, which
>>performs a scan when the backend is not being used (e.g. in my case,
>>before it is shutdown), compares the results to the previous scan, and
>>then presents the differences to the user?
>>
>>e.g. 'New channel "XYZ" found on Input 1. Add/Ignore?'
>> 'Channel "XYZ" moved to frequency/sid/... Update?'
>>
>>Is this feasible?
>>
>>Does anyone else think this is a good idea?
>>
>>Regards
>>
>>Jeff
>>
>Yes, it is a good idea and is probably feasible with some changes to mythtv.
>
>mythtv-setup already has the capability to perform an automated scan
>and either apply immediately or save it for later use, see
>https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Command_Line_Channel_Scanner
>However, as far as I can tell this automated scan does not work for
>DVB-S/S2, hence changes to mythtv.

That wiki page says "The backend must not be using the card to be
scanned when it is scanned. This generally means that the backend should
not be running." If the intention is to run this periodically, then it
would be best if mythtv-setup had the ability to ask the backend to
vacate the card while still being available for serving up existing
recordings. In other words, mythtv-setup should request control of the
card and, if the backend is recording on it (or, say, will record in the
next 30 minutes) then it rejects the request, otherwise it quietly
releases the card and mytv-setup runs it's scan. What I want to avoid is
people creating a cronjob like:

*/30 * * * * service mythtv-backend stop ; mythtv --scan-save-only ;
service mythtv-backend start

and wondering why their recordings are interrupted, why the family can't
watch a film without "The backend has stopped" popping up every 30
minutes etc.

>I was thinking of something along the lines of comparing current
>channel setup with automated last scan and just identify something has
>changed, the user would then use mythtv-setup manually, to either
>rescan existing transports (with search for new transports selected)
>or import the automated scan results.

Can I point people to the rather spiffing mythupchuk[1]? I use that to
maintain a relatively complex channel numbering scheme and it works
quite well. In essence, you have a text file which lists what you'd like
each channel to be numbered/named and by syncing back and forth between
the database, it'll maintain that for you. It also keeps track of
deleted channels (they get commented out, in case they return) and new
channels (they get appended to the list).

[1] https://github.com/StarsoftAnalysis/mythupchuk

>Mike

For more information, please reread.
Re: Automatic channel scans [ In reply to ]
On 10/08/17 12:19, Mike Bibbings wrote:
> On 08/08/17 19:01, Jeff wrote:
>> It seems to me that there are changes to the channel line-up on Astra
>> something every couple of weeks. Mostly I don't notice until recordings
>> start failing, and then I don't have the necessary block of couple of
>> hours to do anything about it, and so I end up running mythtv-setup
>> perhaps every 18 months.
>>
>> Would it not be possible to achieve something like automatic channel
>> updates by having a job run, say once a week or once a month, which
>> performs a scan when the backend is not being used (e.g. in my case,
>> before it is shutdown), compares the results to the previous scan, and
>> then presents the differences to the user?
>>
>> e.g. 'New channel "XYZ" found on Input 1. Add/Ignore?'
>> 'Channel "XYZ" moved to frequency/sid/... Update?'
>>
>> Is this feasible?
>>
>> Does anyone else think this is a good idea?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Jeff
>>
> Yes, it is a good idea and is probably feasible with some changes to
> mythtv.
>
> mythtv-setup already has the capability to perform an automated scan and
> either apply immediately or save it for later use, see
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Command_Line_Channel_Scanner
> However, as far as I can tell this automated scan does not work for
> DVB-S/S2, hence changes to mythtv.
>
> I was thinking of something along the lines of comparing current channel
> setup with automated last scan and just identify something has changed,
> the user would then use mythtv-setup manually, to either rescan existing
> transports (with search for new transports selected) or import the
> automated scan results.
>
> Mike

That wiki page lists a lot of DB tables which don't appear here

https://code.mythtv.org/doxygen/group__db__schema.html

I tried [mythconverg]> describe dvbt-ofdm-uk ;

and got an SQL syntax error. mythtvsetup --help doesn't show anything I
can identify with it. Does it exist? I did try to use a saved scan
once, with DVB-T, but got nothing useful. The scan hadn't been made
with this tool, though.

John

Re: Automatic channel scans [ In reply to ]
On 10/08/17 13:13, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 10/08/17 12:19, Mike Bibbings wrote:
>> On 08/08/17 19:01, Jeff wrote:
>>> It seems to me that there are changes to the channel line-up on Astra
>>> something every couple of weeks. Mostly I don't notice until recordings
>>> start failing, and then I don't have the necessary block of couple of
>>> hours to do anything about it, and so I end up running mythtv-setup
>>> perhaps every 18 months.
>>>
>>> Would it not be possible to achieve something like automatic channel
>>> updates by having a job run, say once a week or once a month, which
>>> performs a scan when the backend is not being used (e.g. in my case,
>>> before it is shutdown), compares the results to the previous scan, and
>>> then presents the differences to the user?
>>>
>>> e.g. 'New channel "XYZ" found on Input 1. Add/Ignore?'
>>> 'Channel "XYZ" moved to frequency/sid/... Update?'
>>>
>>> Is this feasible?
>>>
>>> Does anyone else think this is a good idea?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Jeff
>>>
>> Yes, it is a good idea and is probably feasible with some changes to
>> mythtv.
>>
>> mythtv-setup already has the capability to perform an automated scan
>> and either apply immediately or save it for later use, see
>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Command_Line_Channel_Scanner
>> However, as far as I can tell this automated scan does not work for
>> DVB-S/S2, hence changes to mythtv.
>>
>> I was thinking of something along the lines of comparing current
>> channel setup with automated last scan and just identify something
>> has changed, the user would then use mythtv-setup manually, to either
>> rescan existing transports (with search for new transports selected)
>> or import the automated scan results.
>>
>> Mike
>
> That wiki page lists a lot of DB tables which don't appear here
>
> https://code.mythtv.org/doxygen/group__db__schema.html
>
> I tried [mythconverg]> describe dvbt-ofdm-uk ;
>
> and got an SQL syntax error. mythtvsetup --help doesn't show anything
> I can identify with it. Does it exist? I did try to use a saved
> scan once, with DVB-T, but got nothing useful. The scan hadn't been
> made with this tool, though.
>
> John

Those are not mythconverg DB tables, they are just instructions , within
mythtv_setup code and associated libs they get split (at the -) and
processed so the command line channel scanner knows what to do.

Mike

Re: Automatic channel scans [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 12:13 PM, Darac Marjal <mailinglist@darac.org.uk> wrote:

> That wiki page says "The backend must not be using the card to be scanned
> when it is scanned. This generally means that the backend should not be
> running." If the intention is to run this periodically, then it would be
> best if mythtv-setup had the ability to ask the backend to vacate the card
> while still being available for serving up existing recordings.

The python bindings allow an app to lock a tuner
to prevent its being used by the BE (until the python
connection is closed), providing (in theory) a piece
of the desired capability (lock tuner, do your scanning,
unlock tuner). Details, as usually, will likely vary.
Re: Automatic channel scans [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 13:13:13 +0100, you wrote:

>That wiki page says "The backend must not be using the card to be
>scanned when it is scanned. This generally means that the backend should
>not be running." If the intention is to run this periodically, then it
>would be best if mythtv-setup had the ability to ask the backend to
>vacate the card while still being available for serving up existing
>recordings. In other words, mythtv-setup should request control of the
>card and, if the backend is recording on it (or, say, will record in the
>next 30 minutes) then it rejects the request, otherwise it quietly
>releases the card and mytv-setup runs it's scan. What I want to avoid is
>people creating a cronjob like:
>
>*/30 * * * * service mythtv-backend stop ; mythtv --scan-save-only ;
>service mythtv-backend start
>
>and wondering why their recordings are interrupted, why the family can't
>watch a film without "The backend has stopped" popping up every 30
>minutes etc.

If you want to know when mythbackend is not busy, you could try using
my gaps program:

http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/gaps

Gaps is a Python 2 program that queries mythbackend and works out when
it is due to be recording something, so it can tell you when all the
gaps between recordings are.

root@mypvr:~# gaps --help
usage: gaps [-h] [-V] [-n HOST] [-p PORT] [hours] [minutes]

Find gaps in the MythTV recording schedule (Version: 1.3)

positional arguments:
hours Minimum gap duration to search for, in hours (floating
point
allowed)
minutes Minimum gap duration to search for, in minutes
(floating point
allowed)

optional arguments:
-h, --help show this help message and exit
-V, --version
display the version number and exit
-n HOST, --host HOST
MythTV backend hostname (default: mypvr)
-p PORT, --port PORT
MythTV backend API port number (default: 6544)

It does not take into account the soft pre-roll and soft post-roll
settings you may be using. I have them set to 60 seconds, so I need
to leave an extra minute after when gaps says the start of a gap is,
and the gap ends a minute before it says it does. The host and port
values are queried from the database if possible, so it will normally
find them automatically if run on the backend PC.
Re: Automatic channel scans [ In reply to ]
On 10/08/17 14:46, Mike Bibbings wrote:
> On 10/08/17 13:13, John Pilkington wrote:

>>> Yes, it is a good idea and is probably feasible with some changes to
>>> mythtv.
>>>
>>> mythtv-setup already has the capability to perform an automated scan
>>> and either apply immediately or save it for later use, see
>>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Command_Line_Channel_Scanner
>>> However, as far as I can tell this automated scan does not work for
>>> DVB-S/S2, hence changes to mythtv.
>>>
>>> I was thinking of something along the lines of comparing current
>>> channel setup with automated last scan and just identify something
>>> has changed, the user would then use mythtv-setup manually, to either
>>> rescan existing transports (with search for new transports selected)
>>> or import the automated scan results.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>
>> That wiki page lists a lot of DB tables which don't appear here
>>
>> https://code.mythtv.org/doxygen/group__db__schema.html
>>
>> I tried [mythconverg]> describe dvbt-ofdm-uk ;
>>
>> and got an SQL syntax error. mythtvsetup --help doesn't show anything
>> I can identify with it. Does it exist? I did try to use a saved
>> scan once, with DVB-T, but got nothing useful. The scan hadn't been
>> made with this tool, though.
>>
>> John
>
> Those are not mythconverg DB tables, they are just instructions , within
> mythtv_setup code and associated libs they get split (at the -) and
> processed so the command line channel scanner knows what to do.
>
> Mike

OK, I found some related code in libs/libmythtv/frequencytables.cpp, but
attempts to run it just show me

$ mythtv-setup --scan dvbt-ofdm-uk 1 DVBInput --scan-save-only
Received '1' but unassociated arguments have not been enabled

mythtv-setup version: master [v30-Pre-v30-Pre-3-g538f99e] www.mythtv.org
(and yes, the version number is eccentric)
followed by the usual result of
mythtvsetup --help

I have tried:
mythtv-setup --scan
mythtvsetup --scan
mythtv-setup --scan dvbt-ofdm-uk 1 DVBInput --scan-save-only
mythtv-setup --scan dvbt-ofdm-gb 1 DVBInput --scan-save-only
and various others
but

mythtv-setup --scan-list

did print a plausible-looking list of past scans.

Any suggestions?

John

Re: Automatic channel scans [ In reply to ]
On 10/08/17 17:41, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 10/08/17 14:46, Mike Bibbings wrote:

>>> That wiki page lists a lot of DB tables which don't appear here
>>>
>>> https://code.mythtv.org/doxygen/group__db__schema.html
>>>
>>> I tried [mythconverg]> describe dvbt-ofdm-uk ;
>>>
>>> and got an SQL syntax error. mythtvsetup --help doesn't show anything I can identify with it.
>>> Does it exist? I did try to use a saved scan once, with DVB-T, but got nothing useful. The
>>> scan hadn't been made with this tool, though.
>>>
>>> John
>>
>> Those are not mythconverg DB tables, they are just instructions , within mythtv_setup code and
>> associated libs they get split (at the -) and processed so the command line channel scanner knows
>> what to do.
>>
>> Mike
>
> OK, I found some related code in libs/libmythtv/frequencytables.cpp, but attempts to run it just
> show me
>
> $ mythtv-setup --scan dvbt-ofdm-uk 1 DVBInput --scan-save-only
> Received '1' but unassociated arguments have not been enabled
>
> mythtv-setup version: master [v30-Pre-v30-Pre-3-g538f99e] www.mythtv.org
> (and yes, the version number is eccentric)
> followed by the usual result of
> mythtvsetup --help
>
> I have tried:
> mythtv-setup --scan
> mythtvsetup --scan
> mythtv-setup --scan dvbt-ofdm-uk 1 DVBInput --scan-save-only
> mythtv-setup --scan dvbt-ofdm-gb 1 DVBInput --scan-save-only
> and various others
> but
>
> mythtv-setup --scan-list
>
> did print a plausible-looking list of past scans.
>
> Any suggestions?

Have you tried putting all the options before all the arguments?

mythtv-setup --scan-save-only --scan dvbt-ofdm-uk 1 DVBInput

Personally, I would prefer any functionality of this kind to be part of the backend, or triggered by
it. After all, the backend runs mythfilldatabase, preview generation and other tasks so why can't it
do this as well if required?

--

Mike Perkins

Re: Automatic channel scans [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 5:02 PM, Mike Perkins
<mikep@randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:

> Personally, I would prefer any functionality of this kind to be part of the
> backend, or triggered by it. After all, the backend runs mythfilldatabase,
> preview generation and other tasks so why can't it do this as well if
> required?

The future of mythtv-setup (and presumably channel scans)
is in the BE webfrontend. Development work on that capability
is (from all appearances) stalled due to resource constraints.
I would not be surprised to know that your code contributions
to move that work forward will be well received, although you
may want to ask on the dev list if anyone is actively coding
in that area (no reason to duplicate work).
Re: Automatic channel scans [ In reply to ]
On 10/08/17 17:41, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 10/08/17 14:46, Mike Bibbings wrote:

>>> That wiki page lists a lot of DB tables which don't appear here
>>>
>>> https://code.mythtv.org/doxygen/group__db__schema.html
>>>
>>> I tried [mythconverg]> describe dvbt-ofdm-uk ;
>>>
>>> and got an SQL syntax error. mythtvsetup --help doesn't show
>>> anything I can identify with it. Does it exist? I did try to use
>>> a saved scan once, with DVB-T, but got nothing useful. The scan
>>> hadn't been made with this tool, though.
>>>
>>> John
>>
>> Those are not mythconverg DB tables, they are just instructions ,
>> within mythtv_setup code and associated libs they get split (at the
>> -) and processed so the command line channel scanner knows what to do.
>>
>> Mike
>
> OK, I found some related code in libs/libmythtv/frequencytables.cpp,
> but attempts to run it just show me
>
> $ mythtv-setup --scan dvbt-ofdm-uk 1 DVBInput --scan-save-only
> Received '1' but unassociated arguments have not been enabled
>
> mythtv-setup version: master [v30-Pre-v30-Pre-3-g538f99e] www.mythtv.org
> (and yes, the version number is eccentric)
> followed by the usual result of
> mythtvsetup --help
>
> I have tried:
> mythtv-setup --scan
> mythtvsetup --scan
> mythtv-setup --scan dvbt-ofdm-uk 1 DVBInput --scan-save-only
> mythtv-setup --scan dvbt-ofdm-gb 1 DVBInput --scan-save-only
> and various others
> but
>
> mythtv-setup --scan-list
>
> did print a plausible-looking list of past scans.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> John

I have looked a little deeper into the code in mythtv-setup (main.cpp
and commandlineparser.cpp) it seems the wiki page has some information
missing.

From the quick look I am seeing command line options related to --scan :

--frequency-table
--input-name
--FTAonly
--service-type

I will run some tests, but first I have to setup a test system with dvbt
tuners.

Mike

Re: Automatic channel scans [ In reply to ]
On 10/08/17 20:13, Mike Bibbings wrote:
> On 10/08/17 17:41, John Pilkington wrote:

>>> Those are not mythconverg DB tables, they are just instructions ,
>>> within mythtv_setup code and associated libs they get split (at the
>>> -) and processed so the command line channel scanner knows what to do.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>
>> OK, I found some related code in libs/libmythtv/frequencytables.cpp,
>> but attempts to run it just show me
>>
>> $ mythtv-setup --scan dvbt-ofdm-uk 1 DVBInput --scan-save-only
>> Received '1' but unassociated arguments have not been enabled
>>
>> mythtv-setup version: master [v30-Pre-v30-Pre-3-g538f99e] www.mythtv.org
>> (and yes, the version number is eccentric)
>> followed by the usual result of
>> mythtvsetup --help
>>
>> I have tried:
>> mythtv-setup --scan
>> mythtvsetup --scan
>> mythtv-setup --scan dvbt-ofdm-uk 1 DVBInput --scan-save-only
>> mythtv-setup --scan dvbt-ofdm-gb 1 DVBInput --scan-save-only
>> and various others
>> but
>>
>> mythtv-setup --scan-list
>>
>> did print a plausible-looking list of past scans.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> John
>

> I have looked a little deeper into the code in mythtv-setup (main.cpp
> and commandlineparser.cpp) it seems the wiki page has some information
> missing.
>
> From the quick look I am seeing command line options related to --scan :
>
> --frequency-table
> --input-name
> --FTAonly
> --service-type
>

> I will run some tests, but first I have to setup a test system with dvbt
> tuners.
>
> Mike

I just found that too. Usually I can get what I want with the DVB-T
scanner and I think I shall opt out. You didn't mention --expert mode,
but I do see how (but not why) the CL scanner gets no mention in the
--help message. :-)

John

Re: Automatic channel scans [ In reply to ]
> Wiadomo?? napisana przez Jeff <jffry@posteo.net> w dniu 08.08.2017, o godz. 20:01:
>
> It seems to me that there are changes to the channel line-up on Astra
> something every couple of weeks. Mostly I don't notice until recordings
> start failing, and then I don't have the necessary block of couple of
> hours to do anything about it, and so I end up running mythtv-setup
> perhaps every 18 months.
>
> Would it not be possible to achieve something like automatic channel
> updates by having a job run, say once a week or once a month, which
> performs a scan when the backend is not being used (e.g. in my case,
> before it is shutdown), compares the results to the previous scan, and
> then presents the differences to the user?
>
> e.g. 'New channel "XYZ" found on Input 1. Add/Ignore?'
> 'Channel "XYZ" moved to frequency/sid/... Update?'
>
> Is this feasible?
>
> Does anyone else think this is a good idea?
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff

Jeff,

You may look (and also devs) on LVR patch for more-or-less such functionality.
patch attached
Re: Automatic channel scans [ In reply to ]
Piotr,

On 11/08/17 17:46, Piotr Oniszczuk wrote:
> You may look (and also devs) on LVR patch for more-or-less such functionality.
> patch attached

If that does what it says on the box, it would be brilliant.

I'm not sure I want to go down the dark path of patching my Myth
packages, as I would then have to do it again for every new release that
the PPA offers me.

Presumably there is a good reason why this patch didn't find its way
into the main development trunk.

Does anyone know what this reason was?

Regards

Jeff
Re: Automatic channel scans [ In reply to ]
On 12/08/17 12:23, Jeff wrote:
> Piotr,
>
> On 11/08/17 17:46, Piotr Oniszczuk wrote:
>> You may look (and also devs) on LVR patch for more-or-less such functionality.
>> patch attached
>
> If that does what it says on the box, it would be brilliant.
>
> I'm not sure I want to go down the dark path of patching my Myth
> packages, as I would then have to do it again for every new release that
> the PPA offers me.
>
> Presumably there is a good reason why this patch didn't find its way
> into the main development trunk.
>
> Does anyone know what this reason was?
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff

A little reading-between-the-lines suggests to me that there have been
some difficulties in managing the relationship of what is effectively
LVR's fork with the main mythtv project. Or perhaps it's my monitor...

John P
Re: Automatic channel scans [ In reply to ]
On 11/08/17 16:46, Piotr Oniszczuk wrote:
>> Wiadomo?? napisana przez Jeff <jffry@posteo.net> w dniu 08.08.2017, o godz. 20:01:
>>
>> It seems to me that there are changes to the channel line-up on Astra
>> something every couple of weeks. Mostly I don't notice until recordings
>> start failing, and then I don't have the necessary block of couple of
>> hours to do anything about it, and so I end up running mythtv-setup
>> perhaps every 18 months.
>>
>> Would it not be possible to achieve something like automatic channel
>> updates by having a job run, say once a week or once a month, which
>> performs a scan when the backend is not being used (e.g. in my case,
>> before it is shutdown), compares the results to the previous scan, and
>> then presents the differences to the user?
>>
>> e.g. 'New channel "XYZ" found on Input 1. Add/Ignore?'
>> 'Channel "XYZ" moved to frequency/sid/... Update?'
>>
>> Is this feasible?
>>
>> Does anyone else think this is a good idea?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Jeff
>>
> Jeff,
>
> You may look (and also devs) on LVR patch for more-or-less such functionality.
> patch attached

Piotr,

Very interesting patch.

Where did you get it from ?

I have just downloaded the latest patch set (February 2017) from
Lawrence's site and the patch for this feature (master branch, which
from dates looks like older version of 0.29pre) is :

0302-TV-Auto-detect-added-moved-and-removed-DVB-channels-.patch

Note the 0302-... not 0305... and the two patches are slightly different
according to diff.

Unfortunately neither applies cleanly to current mythtv master branch
(30-pre)

Mike