Mailing List Archive

F23 to 24 upgrade: blank mythfrontend and mythtv-setup screens
I just upgraded from Fedora 23 to 24.

My video card is a nVidia GF119 [GeForce GT 520] and I use the RPMFusion akmod
driver.

My desktop works fine, but mythtv-setup and mythfrontend both give me a black
screen.

From /var/log/messages I see:

libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile

Otherwise I don't know what to look at.

--
A little of Jerome's MythTV World: http://mythtv.bss.ab.ca
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: F23 to 24 upgrade: blank mythfrontend and mythtv-setup screens [ In reply to ]
On Monday, August 7, 2017 4:36:10 PM MDT Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> I just upgraded from Fedora 23 to 24.
>
> My video card is a nVidia GF119 [GeForce GT 520] and I use the RPMFusion
> akmod driver.
>
> My desktop works fine, but mythtv-setup and mythfrontend both give me a
> black screen.
>
> From /var/log/messages I see:
>
> libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
>
> Otherwise I don't know what to look at.

Well, this fixed it:

http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2007-March/174659.html

Sorry for the noise. I had the OpenGL painter set.

Is the QT painter the "proper" one to use now?

--
A little of Jerome's MythTV World: http://mythtv.bss.ab.ca
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: F23 to 24 upgrade: blank mythfrontend and mythtv-setup screens [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 5:58 PM, Jerome Yuzyk <jerome@supernet.ab.ca> wrote:

>
> Well, this fixed it:
>
> http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2007-March/174659.html
>
> Sorry for the noise. I had the OpenGL painter set.
>
> Is the QT painter the "proper" one to use now?


I'm glad you got it fixed, but you just upgraded from an EOL version of
Fedora to one that will be shortly... I have MythTV running well on F25. I
usually give the new releases a couple of months to settle down before
upgrading my desktop and combined BE/FE.

Richard
Re: F23 to 24 upgrade: blank mythfrontend and mythtv-setup screens [ In reply to ]
On Monday, August 7, 2017 5:12:29 PM MDT Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 5:58 PM, Jerome Yuzyk <jerome@supernet.ab.ca> wrote:
> > Well, this fixed it:
> >
> > http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2007-March/174659.html
> >
> > Sorry for the noise. I had the OpenGL painter set.
> >
> > Is the QT painter the "proper" one to use now?
>
> I'm glad you got it fixed, but you just upgraded from an EOL version of
> Fedora to one that will be shortly... I have MythTV running well on F25. I
> usually give the new releases a couple of months to settle down before
> upgrading my desktop and combined BE/FE.

I'm taking baby steps. :) I figured I'd wait until F25 has settled down - my
F25 desktop is still getting updates and I'll wait until that stops. Since
every Fedora update is an (unpleasant) adventure in some way or other I don't
dive into once easily.

--
A little of Jerome's MythTV World: http://mythtv.bss.ab.ca
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: F23 to 24 upgrade: blank mythfrontend and mythtv-setup screens [ In reply to ]
On 08/07/2017 06:58 PM, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> Well, this fixed it:
>
> http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2007-March/174659.html
>
> Sorry for the noise. I had the OpenGL painter set.
>
> Is the QT painter the "proper" one to use now?

OpenGL is preferred, unless it is broken on your system, in which case
use QT. In most systems OpenGL works well.

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: F23 to 24 upgrade: blank mythfrontend and mythtv-setup screens [ In reply to ]
On Monday, August 7, 2017 5:52:20 PM MDT Peter Bennett wrote:
> On 08/07/2017 06:58 PM, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> > Well, this fixed it:
> >
> > http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2007-March/174659.html
> >
> > Sorry for the noise. I had the OpenGL painter set.
> >
> > Is the QT painter the "proper" one to use now?
>
> OpenGL is preferred, unless it is broken on your system, in which case
> use QT. In most systems OpenGL works well.

I thought so, and it was fine with Fedoras before F24. How do I debug the
problem with OpenGL so I can switch back to it?

--
A little of Jerome's MythTV World: http://mythtv.bss.ab.ca
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: F23 to 24 upgrade: blank mythfrontend and mythtv-setup screens [ In reply to ]
> > OpenGL is preferred, unless it is broken on your system, in which case
> > use QT. In most systems OpenGL works well.
>
> I thought so, and it was fine with Fedoras before F24. How do I debug the
> problem with OpenGL so I can switch back to it?
>
> --
Change it back to OpenGL and run with:
mythtv-setup --logpath /tmp --loglevel debug

and post the logfile that you find in /tmp

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: F23 to 24 upgrade: blank mythfrontend and mythtv-setup screens [ In reply to ]
On Monday, August 7, 2017 6:17:02 PM MDT Mark Perkins wrote:
> > > OpenGL is preferred, unless it is broken on your system, in which case
> > > use QT. In most systems OpenGL works well.
> >
> > I thought so, and it was fine with Fedoras before F24. How do I debug the
> > problem with OpenGL so I can switch back to it?
> >
> > --
>
> Change it back to OpenGL and run with:
> mythtv-setup --logpath /tmp --loglevel debug
>
> and post the logfile that you find in /tmp

Thanks, I will try that in the morning. Right now I'm testing by watching. :)


--
A little of Jerome's MythTV World: http://mythtv.bss.ab.ca
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: F23 to 24 upgrade: blank mythfrontend and mythtv-setup screens [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 6:31 PM, Jerome Yuzyk <jerome@supernet.ab.ca> wrote:

> On Monday, August 7, 2017 5:12:29 PM MDT Richard Shaw wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 5:58 PM, Jerome Yuzyk <jerome@supernet.ab.ca>
> wrote:
> > > Well, this fixed it:
> > >
> > > http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2007-March/174659.html
> > >
> > > Sorry for the noise. I had the OpenGL painter set.
> > >
> > > Is the QT painter the "proper" one to use now?
> >
> > I'm glad you got it fixed, but you just upgraded from an EOL version of
> > Fedora to one that will be shortly... I have MythTV running well on F25.
> I
> > usually give the new releases a couple of months to settle down before
> > upgrading my desktop and combined BE/FE.
>
> I'm taking baby steps. :) I figured I'd wait until F25 has settled down -
> my
> F25 desktop is still getting updates and I'll wait until that stops. Since
> every Fedora update is an (unpleasant) adventure in some way or other I
> don't
> dive into once easily.


Well I guess it depends on your definition of "settled down" but F24 just
went EOL today. I understand not liking the updating churn, but by running
an EOL release of Fedora you are also not getting security updates and
you'll have less luck getting support on the mailing lists...

Richard