later on. In between the mythtv-backend terminal box pops up, but nothing
happens and it shuts down again.

Previously I would get a segfault.

I have the latest version of 0.28 available from mythbuntu installed.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can troubleshoot this or see what is
wrong?

Regards,

Andréas
Re: Problem running mythtv setup [ In reply to ]
On 08/07/2017 03:50 PM, Andréas Kühne wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I upgraded my mythbuntu box from 12.04 to 14.04 last year. I also
> upgraded from 0.27 to 0.28 at the same time. Since then I haven't been
> able to run mtyhtv-setup. This hasn't been an issue until now. Now my
> cable provider has released their HD channels so that I am able to
> view them as well (previously a special type of HD box was required,
> and I don't think that it is required any more).
>
> So now I'd like to be able to run mythtv-setup.
>
> I don't get any errors or anything like that, the only thing that
> happens is I get the dialog boxes for shutting down mythtv-backend and
> starting it later on. In between the mythtv-backend terminal box pops
> up, but nothing happens and it shuts down again.
>
> Previously I would get a segfault.
>
> I have the latest version of 0.28 available from mythbuntu installed.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on how I can troubleshoot this or see what
> is wrong?
>
> Regards,
>
> Andréas

I suggest first shut down the backend, then open a terminal window and
run mythtv-setup. See if there are any error messages in the terminal
window. If you are running mythbuntu or mythtv installed from the
ubuntu packages you may need to run mythtv-setupreal or something like
that as they may have created a script around mythtv-setup and renamed
the actual mythtv-setup as something with real on the end.
Re: Problem running mythtv setup [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 7 Aug 2017 16:34:26 -0400, you wrote:

>On 08/07/2017 03:50 PM, Andr?as K?hne wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I upgraded my mythbuntu box from 12.04 to 14.04 last year. I also
>> upgraded from 0.27 to 0.28 at the same time. Since then I haven't been
>> able to run mtyhtv-setup. This hasn't been an issue until now. Now my
>> cable provider has released their HD channels so that I am able to
>> view them as well (previously a special type of HD box was required,
>> and I don't think that it is required any more).
>>
>> So now I'd like to be able to run mythtv-setup.
>>
>> I don't get any errors or anything like that, the only thing that
>> happens is I get the dialog boxes for shutting down mythtv-backend and
>> starting it later on. In between the mythtv-backend terminal box pops
>> up, but nothing happens and it shuts down again.
>>
>> Previously I would get a segfault.
>>
>> I have the latest version of 0.28 available from mythbuntu installed.
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas on how I can troubleshoot this or see what
>> is wrong?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Andr?as
>>

>I suggest first shut down the backend, then open a terminal window and
>run mythtv-setup. See if there are any error messages in the terminal
>window. If you are running mythbuntu or mythtv installed from the
>ubuntu packages you may need to run mythtv-setupreal or something like
>that as they may have created a script around mythtv-setup and renamed
>the actual mythtv-setup as something with real on the end.

Yes, the mythtv-setup file is a script that runs mythtv-setup.real. So
shut down mythbackend, then run mythtv-setup.real from your
mythfrontend user, and see what messages it tells you about the
problem.
Re: Problem running mythtv setup [ In reply to ]
Thanks,

I'll give that a try tonight.

Regards,

Andréas

Re: Problem running mythtv setup [ In reply to ]
So I checked this today, and I still get a segmentation fault. I used gdb
to check WHERE the segmentation fault is occurring, and apparently it's
within the following library:
0x00007fffdd5067e2 in ?? ()
from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/platforms/libqxcb.so

So I have some sort of problem with the qt5 library. Does anyone have any
tips / ideas on how to resolve this?

The machine is an upgraded mythbuntu 12.04 - now upgraded to 14.04 running
mythtv 0.28 (latest versions in the mythbuntu repository).

Any help here would be appreciated.

Regards,

Andréas

Re: Problem running mythtv setup [ In reply to ]
Found the problem.

Apparently you can't use VNC to connect to the server and then run
mythtv-setup. You need to be locally connected - then it just works....

Regards,

Andréas

Re: Problem running mythtv setup [ In reply to ]
On 09/08/17 15:24, Andréas Kühne wrote:

>> So I checked this today, and I still get a segmentation fault. I used gdb
>> to check WHERE the segmentation fault is occurring, and apparently it's
>> within the following library:
>> 0x00007fffdd5067e2 in ?? ()
>> from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/platforms/libqxcb.so
>>
>> So I have some sort of problem with the qt5 library. Does anyone have any
>> tips / ideas on how to resolve this?
>>
>> The machine is an upgraded mythbuntu 12.04 - now upgraded to 14.04 running
>> mythtv 0.28 (latest versions in the mythbuntu repository).
>>
>> Any help here would be appreciated.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Andréas

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> I'll give that a try tonight.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Andréas

> Found the problem.
>
> Apparently you can't use VNC to connect to the server and then run
> mythtv-setup. You need to be locally connected - then it just works....
>
> Regards,
>
> Andréas

(Fixed top posting)

You can run mythtv-setup remotely, and it is necessary if your server is a VM or otherwise headless.
It can be run over SSH, the way that I do it, and others here do use VNC successfully.

In fact, you can run the front-end remotely as well, provided you don't try and play media. I have
used this on occasion since it is the only way to select which theme mythtv-setup runs under.

1. Configure enough of the backend using mythtv-setup to get a basic backend running
2. Briefly run a frontend on the backend machine to select your preferred theme
3. Run mythtv-setup once more to complete configuration

- and all through an SSH terminal session using X forwarding.

Perhaps you can tell I don't like the default theme?

--

Mike Perkins

Re: Problem running mythtv setup [ In reply to ]

> On 09/08/17 15:24, Andréas Kühne wrote:

>> So I checked this today, and I still get a segmentation fault. I used gdb
>>> to check WHERE the segmentation fault is occurring, and apparently it's
>>> within the following library:
>>> Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
>>> 0x00007fffdd5067e2 in ?? ()
>>> from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/platforms/libqxcb.so
>>>
>>> So I have some sort of problem with the qt5 library. Does anyone have any
>>> tips / ideas on how to resolve this?
>>>
>>> The machine is an upgraded mythbuntu 12.04 - now upgraded to 14.04
>>> running
>>> mythtv 0.28 (latest versions in the mythbuntu repository).
>>>
>>> Any help here would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Andréas

>>> Thanks,

>> Apparently you can't use VNC to connect to the server and then run
>> mythtv-setup. You need to be locally connected - then it just works....
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Andréas
>>
>> (Fixed top posting)
>
> You can run mythtv-setup remotely, and it is necessary if your server is a
> VM or otherwise headless. It can be run over SSH, the way that I do it, and
> others here do use VNC successfully.
>
> In fact, you can run the front-end remotely as well, provided you don't
> try and play media. I have used this on occasion since it is the only way
> to select which theme mythtv-setup runs under.
>
> 1. Configure enough of the backend using mythtv-setup to get a basic
> backend running
> 2. Briefly run a frontend on the backend machine to select your preferred
> theme
> 3. Run mythtv-setup once more to complete configuration
>
> - and all through an SSH terminal session using X forwarding.
>
> Perhaps you can tell I don't like the default theme?

Ok - I should probably have said, that MY machine can't run mythtv-setup
from NoMachine (which I am running to login to the server remotely). I
haven't configured SSH to run it remotely, because everything else that I
do on the machine I do via NoMachine. But at least I now know that I can
run mythtv-setup - as long as I'm on the console.

Regards,

Andréas
Re: Problem running mythtv setup [ In reply to ]
>>> You can run mythtv-setup remotely, and it is necessary if your server is a VM or otherwise headless.

And, just as a side note to this. As I discovered last weekend, since I don't run IPV6 internally, I have it disabled.

Doing so will break X11 forwarding, at least on Ubuntu 14.0.4, unless you add the below to your sshd_config

AddressFamily inet

And restart the sshd service,

Doug
Re: Problem running mythtv setup [ In reply to ]
On 08/09/2017 10:24 AM, Andréas Kühne wrote:
> Found the problem.
>
> Apparently you can't use VNC to connect to the server and then run
> mythtv-setup. You need to be locally connected - then it just works....
>
> Regards,
>
> Andréas

If you are connecting remotely and your paint engine is set as opengl,
it may fail. In that case you can run it remotely by using an override
-O ThemePainter=qt as follows
mythtv-setup -O ThemePainter=qt
(substitute mythtv-setup.real if necessary).

The same applies to mythfrontend.
Re: Problem running mythtv setup [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 1:07 PM, Peter Bennett <cats22@comcast.net> wrote:

> If you are connecting remotely and your paint engine is set as opengl, it
> may fail. In that case you can run it remotely by using an override -O
> ThemePainter=qt as follows
> mythtv-setup -O ThemePainter=qt
> (substitute mythtv-setup.real if necessary).
>
> The same applies to mythfrontend.

Yes, I figured this out several months ago, maybe longer...

It needs to be handled gracefully instead of segfaulting...

It would be NICE if it detected the situation and dropped back to qt by
default...

Thanks,
Richard
Re: Problem running mythtv setup [ In reply to ]
On 08/09/2017 04:42 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> Yes, I figured this out several months ago, maybe longer...
>
> It needs to be handled gracefully instead of segfaulting...
>
> It would be NICE if it detected the situation and dropped back to qt
> by default...

Try version 29. MythTV version 29 (now out) drops down to QT if you run
frontend or backend from a remote ssh session.

Peter