Mailing List Archive

Unable to compile mythtv
I'm trying to upgrade my installation of mythtv to the latest. I usually
use the git repo but sometimes run into issues. This time, I'm stumped.

I've just updated to v30-Pre-10-g951e601 and tried to compile. It gets to
zeromq and shows this:

make -C zeromq all
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/mythtv/mythtv/external/zeromq'
Making all in src
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/mythtv/mythtv/external/zeromq/src'
make all-am
make[4]: Entering directory `/usr/src/mythtv/mythtv/external/zeromq/src'
CXX libmythzmq_la-clock.lo
In file included from clock.hpp:24:0,
from clock.cpp:21:
stdint.hpp:33:9: error: '__int8' does not name a type
typedef __int8 int8_t;
^
stdint.hpp:36:9: error: '__int16' does not name a type
typedef __int16 int16_t;
^
stdint.hpp:39:9: error: '__int32' does not name a type
typedef __int32 int32_t;
^
stdint.hpp:42:9: error: '__int64' does not name a type
typedef __int64 int64_t;
^
stdint.hpp:45:25: error: expected initializer before 'uint8_t'
typedef unsigned __int8 uint8_t;
^
stdint.hpp:48:26: error: expected initializer before 'uint16_t'
typedef unsigned __int16 uint16_t;
^
stdint.hpp:51:26: error: expected initializer before 'uint32_t'
typedef unsigned __int32 uint32_t;
^
stdint.hpp:54:26: error: expected initializer before 'uint64_t'
typedef unsigned __int64 uint64_t;
^
In file included from clock.cpp:21:0:
clock.hpp:37:16: error: 'uint64_t' does not name a type
static uint64_t rdtsc ();
^
clock.hpp:40:16: error: 'uint64_t' does not name a type
static uint64_t now_us ();
^
clock.hpp:44:9: error: 'uint64_t' does not name a type
uint64_t now_ms ();
^
clock.hpp:49:9: error: 'uint64_t' does not name a type
uint64_t last_tsc;
^
clock.hpp:52:9: error: 'uint64_t' does not name a type
uint64_t last_time;
^
clock.cpp: In constructor 'zmq::clock_t::clock_t()':
clock.cpp:42:5: error: class 'zmq::clock_t' does not have any field named
'last_tsc'
last_tsc (rdtsc ()),
^
clock.cpp:42:22: error: 'rdtsc' was not declared in this scope
last_tsc (rdtsc ()),
^
clock.cpp:43:5: error: class 'zmq::clock_t' does not have any field named
'last_time'
last_time (now_us () / 1000)
^
clock.cpp:43:24: error: 'now_us' was not declared in this scope
last_time (now_us () / 1000)
^
clock.cpp: At global scope:
clock.cpp:51:32: error: no 'uint64_t zmq::clock_t::now_us()' member
function declared in class 'zmq::clock_t'
uint64_t zmq::clock_t::now_us ()
^
clock.cpp:100:32: error: no 'uint64_t zmq::clock_t::now_ms()' member
function declared in class 'zmq::clock_t'
uint64_t zmq::clock_t::now_ms ()
^
clock.cpp:119:31: error: no 'uint64_t zmq::clock_t::rdtsc()' member
function declared in class 'zmq::clock_t'
uint64_t zmq::clock_t::rdtsc ()
^
make[4]: *** [libmythzmq_la-clock.lo] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/mythtv/mythtv/external/zeromq/src'
make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/mythtv/mythtv/external/zeromq/src'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/mythtv/mythtv/external/zeromq'
make[1]: *** [zeromq-all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/mythtv/mythtv/external'
make: *** [external] Error 2

I thought maybe this is a problem with the current git commit so I
downloaded mythtv-fixes-29 zip file and tried to compile it and I get the
same error message! what gives? How do I fix it? I tried looking for "does
not name a type" on the mythtv-user archives and searching google. The only
thing I could find was to #include <inttypes.h> which I tried hacking into
the zeromq file it's compiling but it doesn't fix the problem. I'm guessing
this is an issue with my setup or something. Anyone know?

Thanks,
-Greg
Re: Unable to compile mythtv [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Aug 6, 2017 at 11:20 PM, Greg Grotsky
<spikeygg.mythbox@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm guessing this is an issue with my setup or something.

Likely. You are probably missing some dependency or
another. You likely should run the ansible scripts
provided to download all the dependencies (for there
are many). While typically used to create buildslaves
to test platform compilation (which, last I looked worked
on most platforms), the scripts can be used to outside
of the buildbot network to install the compilation
dependencies.

https://github.com/MythTV/ansible
Re: Unable to compile mythtv [ In reply to ]
On 08/06/2017 06:20 PM, Greg Grotsky wrote:
> I'm trying to upgrade my installation of mythtv to the latest. I usually
> use the git repo but sometimes run into issues. This time, I'm stumped.
>
> I've just updated to v30-Pre-10-g951e601 and tried to compile. It gets to
> zeromq and shows this:

Are you using the --enable-mythlogserver switch with
./configure? If so, then I'd remove it. It's not
necessary for logging (was an 'old' 0.26 thing.)

--
Bill
Re: Unable to compile mythtv [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2017-08-06 at 18:34 -0500, Bill Meek wrote:
> On 08/06/2017 06:20 PM, Greg Grotsky wrote:
> > I'm trying to upgrade my installation of mythtv to the latest. I
> > usually
> > use the git repo but sometimes run into issues. This time, I'm
> > stumped.
> >
> > I've just updated to v30-Pre-10-g951e601 and tried to compile. It
> > gets to
> > zeromq and shows this:
>
> Are you using the --enable-mythlogserver switch with
> ./configure? If so, then I'd remove it. It's not
> necessary for logging (was an 'old' 0.26 thing.)

I've seen this on both Fedora 25 and 26, and yes I was using that
switch. I do have a patch to fix it if you want, but I like Bill's
answer better. Would a patch to remove the old code be welcome?

David

Re: Unable to compile mythtv [ In reply to ]
On 08/06/2017 07:28 PM, David Hampton wrote:
> On Sun, 2017-08-06 at 18:34 -0500, Bill Meek wrote:
>> On 08/06/2017 06:20 PM, Greg Grotsky wrote:
>>> I'm trying to upgrade my installation of mythtv to the latest. I
>>> usually
>>> use the git repo but sometimes run into issues. This time, I'm
>>> stumped.
>>>
>>> I've just updated to v30-Pre-10-g951e601 and tried to compile. It
>>> gets to
>>> zeromq and shows this:
>>
>> Are you using the --enable-mythlogserver switch with
>> ./configure? If so, then I'd remove it. It's not
>> necessary for logging (was an 'old' 0.26 thing.)
>
> I've seen this on both Fedora 25 and 26, and yes I was using that
> switch. I do have a patch to fix it if you want, but I like Bill's
> answer better. Would a patch to remove the old code be welcome?

I *think* zeromq is being kept around in case the project ever
gets restarted. I should have mentioned that the switch was
--disable-mythlogserver (or something close to that) and was
changed to --enable... because the current intent to to leave it
off. Had no idea that using it break the build 'cause I don't use
it. https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythlogserver

Can't answer the patch offer.

--
Bill
Re: Unable to compile mythtv [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 12:49 AM, Bill Meek <keemllib@gmail.com> wrote:
> I *think* zeromq is being kept around in case the project ever
> gets restarted.

As I recall, there was a (somewhat) consensus that
the intent of zeromq and mythlogserver was good
(it allows the program to get the (usually important)
last few messages out when the program crashes),
there were various real world issues that caused
some issues, and then the primary dev left the project,
so the default was changed to disabled. There was
(I think) some hope that someone would get motivated
to restart the work, but that has not happened TTBOMK.

Personally (and I have zero input into the project
priorities/efforts) I think the time has come to delete
the remaining remnants of mythlogserver (deleting
the code does not remove the code from the repo,
should someone decided to revert the commit because
they are going to work on it). But then I also think
the time has come to delete any remaining XvMC
configs and code. But other than those who have
historical configuration specifications (rather than
letting MythTV config make the decisions), neither
tend to hurt anyone.
Re: Unable to compile mythtv [ In reply to ]
Yeah, I was still using --enable-mythlogserver. I removed that compile flag
and it works like a charm! Thanks for the help!

-Greg