Mailing List Archive

1 2 3  View All
Re: Separate Frontend - New Install [ In reply to ]
On 7 August 2017 3:13:36 am Ashu Desai <ashu.desai@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 6, 2017 at 11:35 AM, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Please pastebin a matching mythbackend log when
>>> the frontend fails.
>>

>> How do I get logs of this? I looked under /var/log/mythtv/ but no logs
>> since few days as I haven't tried doing anything on the backend...
>>

>>> The DB is up because the
>>> FE got the DBSchemaVer and the FE got the BE's
>>> IP and does: Connecting to backend server: 172.16.10.54:6543
>>>
>>> But never connects, even though you reported that
>>> nmap worked.
>>>
>>> What does this return:
>>>
>>> curl -H 'Accept: application/json' 172.16.10.54:6544/Myth/GetHostName
>>

>> [mythtv@mythfe7 ~]$ curl -H 'Accept: application/json'
>> 172.16.10.54:6544/Myth/GetHostName
>>
>> curl: (56) Recv failure: Connection reset by peer
>>

> [mythtv@mythfe7 ~]$ curl -H 'Accept: application/json'
> 172.16.10.54:6544/Myth/GetHostName
> {"String": "mythmaster"}
>
> This came after I did the permissions command.
>

>>> --
>>> Bill
>>>

> So figured out the frontend didn't have "write" permissions to my remote
> backend - so changed that
>
> [root@mythmaster ~]# ls -ahl /usr/local/media/videos/
> total 12G
> drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root 4.0K Aug 4 10:29 .
> drwxr-xr-x. 6 root root 4.0K Aug 4 10:29 ..
> -rw-------. 1 root root 2.2G Jan 17 2014 Alien 4.mkv
> -rw-------. 1 root root 4.4G Dec 25 2016 Storks.mkv
> -rw-------. 1 root root 4.6G Jun 10 2016 Zootopia.mkv
> [root@mythmaster ~]# chmod 755 /usr/local/media/videos/*
> [root@mythmaster ~]# ls -ahl /usr/local/media/videos/
> total 12G
> drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root 4.0K Aug 4 10:29 .
> drwxr-xr-x. 6 root root 4.0K Aug 4 10:29 ..
> -rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 2.2G Jan 17 2014 Alien 4.mkv
> -rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 4.4G Dec 25 2016 Storks.mkv
> -rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 4.6G Jun 10 2016 Zootopia.mkv
>
> Now the frontend can talk fine.
>
> Of course more issues - audio/video
>
> I am ok when I give the "speaker-test" command - audio comes out fine
>
> With mythfrontend GUI - under audio setup - it comes out from different
> speakers instead of normal ones.
>
> And my video (H.265) files plays extremely choppy - as if I am seeing them
> via VNC or XMing.
>

> Not sure which log files to give so hoping someone can guide me there..
>

> ----------

Best to start a new thread rather than clutter this one. Frontend log from start up (start FE with "-v playback" logging) , play file for 30 sec then shutdown should be sufficient. Also include details of hardware (particularly type of graphics) and whether any remote FE are wired or wireless network. Worth also checking you have correct drivers installed for your hardware and also top during playback to see whether your CPU is running at 100%.
Re: Separate Frontend - New Install [ In reply to ]
On 7/8/17 7:21 am, mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org wrote:

>>> Could the 'rm -rf /usr/share/mythtv/*', perhaps as root, reported
>>> earlier, have prevented installation later? But I would expect yum to
>>> report problems in that case, and it sounds as if only the themes folder is
>>> missing.
>>
>> Yup... yum doesn't know the package was effectively removed. The
>> mythtv-base-themes package needs to be reinstalled...
>>
>> $ yum reinstall mythtv-base-themes
>>
> Thank you Richard - that did the themes part
>
> Back to same issue -
>
> https://pastebin.com/A63zybJy
>
> I re-installed mariadb and it connects fine to backend

Trust me! The frontend does NOT need or use mariadb if the backend db is
remote. Trying to setup mariadb on the frontend is moot provided you
setup mythtv with the correct remote db.

I have multiple frontends, including a mac book, some have mariadb some
dont. I have a backend running Suse with a backend I built.

All my frontend do theme correctly by downloading the theme when
selected in myth.
James

Re: Separate Frontend - New Install [ In reply to ]
Hoi James,

Monday, August 7, 2017, 2:25:52 AM, you wrote:

>>> Yup... yum doesn't know the package was effectively removed. The
>>> mythtv-base-themes package needs to be reinstalled...
>>>
>>> $ yum reinstall mythtv-base-themes
>>>
>> Thank you Richard - that did the themes part
>>
>> Back to same issue -
>>
>> https://pastebin.com/A63zybJy
>>
>> I re-installed mariadb and it connects fine to backend

> Trust me! The frontend does NOT need or use mariadb if the backend db is
> remote. Trying to setup mariadb on the frontend is moot provided you
> setup mythtv with the correct remote db.

> I have multiple frontends, including a mac book, some have mariadb some
> dont. I have a backend running Suse with a backend I built.

> All my frontend do theme correctly by downloading the theme when
> selected in myth.
> James

Check the thread, these are only the client libraries and were used
earlier for testing connectivity.
If I remember correctly mythtv itself uses the client libraries
included in QT. But they do not bite each other.

Tot mails,
Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop
Het eeuwige dilemma

De lerende Mens

Re: Separate Frontend - New Install [ In reply to ]
> And my video (H.265) files plays extremely choppy - as if I am seeing
them via VNC or XMing.

The gpu in a zotac ion does not support hevc which is what h.265 uses so it
is falling back to software decode using the cpu and your atom is woefully
underpowered! Give up on h.265 or use a different machine as fe...
Re: Separate Frontend - New Install [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Aug 6, 2017 at 11:21 PM, Per Hatlevik <jakeisawake@gmail.com> wrote:

> > And my video (H.265) files plays extremely choppy - as if I am seeing
> them via VNC or XMing.
>
> The gpu in a zotac ion does not support hevc which is what h.265 uses so
> it is falling back to software decode using the cpu and your atom is
> woefully underpowered! Give up on h.265 or use a different machine as fe...

UGHHH! I guess that explains the choppy video part.

Doesn't explain the audio coming out of wrong speakers under
setup/audio/test

Tried reading "man alsamixer" but couldn't figure out how to get alsamixer
to retain the settings once i do the F6/select correct card?

I do Esc, and go back to alsamixer to see it default to Card & Chip:
PulseAudio

Here's my /etc/asound.conf

pcm.!default {
type hw
card 0
device 3
}

[mythtv@mythfe7 ~]$ aplay -l
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1
Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC662 rev1 Digital [ALC662 rev1
Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

1 2 3  View All