Mailing List Archive

Separate Frontend - New Install
Guys
So I finally managed to get my BE up on a new CentOS 7.

My FE:
* Zotac Ion with Nvidia
* 4 Gb RAM
* HDMI out

I read the wiki and it seems to state that for the FE, I just need to
install " mythtv-frontend" package.
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Ubuntu

(I know it says Ubuntu, but I checked Debian wiki and it says same thing.
And there IS a mythtv-frontend package so I figured I was in the right
direction)

However, it crashes and gives segmentation fault when doing that. It
doesn't have the right IP and no config.xml file.

https://pastebin.com/kCsFkPWP

I created a config file under /etc/mythtv and here's the mythfrontend log

https://pastebin.com/hDn4QPYw

Should I be installing the "mythtv" package as well?
Re: Separate Frontend - New Install [ In reply to ]
Hoi Ashu,

> Guys
> So I finally managed to get my BE up on a new CentOS 7.

> My FE:
> * Zotac Ion with Nvidia
> * 4 Gb RAM
> * HDMI out

> I read the wiki and it seems to state that for the FE, I just need
> to install " mythtv-frontend" package.
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Ubuntu

> (I know it says Ubuntu, but I checked Debian wiki and it says same
> thing. And there IS a mythtv-frontend package so I figured I was in the right direction)

> However, it crashes and gives segmentation fault when doing that.
> It doesn't have the right IP and no config.xml file.

> https://pastebin.com/kCsFkPWP

> I created a config file under /etc/mythtv and here's the mythfrontend log

> https://pastebin.com/hDn4QPYw

> Should I be installing the "mythtv" package as well?

If you want to run a frontend on another machine then is running your
backend, you have to adapt mysql/mariadb to listen on your ip-address.
By default it doesn't. Check the WIKI on installing external
frontends.

Tot mails,
Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop
Het eeuwige dilemma

De lerende Mens

Re: Separate Frontend - New Install [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 9:46 AM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hoi Ashu,
>
> Friday, August 4, 2017, 4:31:28 PM, you wrote:
>
> > Guys
> > So I finally managed to get my BE up on a new CentOS 7.
>
> > My FE:
> > * Zotac Ion with Nvidia
> > * 4 Gb RAM
> > * HDMI out
>
> > I read the wiki and it seems to state that for the FE, I just need
> > to install " mythtv-frontend" package.
> > https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Ubuntu
>
> > (I know it says Ubuntu, but I checked Debian wiki and it says same
> > thing. And there IS a mythtv-frontend package so I figured I was in the
> right direction)
>
> > However, it crashes and gives segmentation fault when doing that.
> > It doesn't have the right IP and no config.xml file.
>
> > https://pastebin.com/kCsFkPWP
>
> > I created a config file under /etc/mythtv and here's the mythfrontend
> log
>
> > https://pastebin.com/hDn4QPYw
>
> > Should I be installing the "mythtv" package as well?
>
> If you want to run a frontend on another machine then is running your
> backend, you have to adapt mysql/mariadb to listen on your ip-address.
> By default it doesn't. Check the WIKI on installing external
> frontends.

Yes, I did go to mysql -u -p root mythconverg and did the "grant all on
mythconverg.* to mythtv@"%" identified by "mythtv";

This didn't work either.

This is what I see

2017-08-04 11:16:55.819145 E MythCoreContext::GetBackendServerIP(): No
address defined for host: localhost
2017-08-04 11:16:55.827508 E MythSocket(7faf6c094160:-1): Failed to
connect to (::1:6543) Connection refused
2017-08-04 11:16:55.828350 E Connection to master server timed out.
Either the server is down or the master server
settings
in mythtv-settings does not contain the proper IP
address

I copied the config.xml from my backend, changed the "local host name" on
first line - still same error.

http://about.me/adesai
Re: Separate Frontend - New Install [ In reply to ]
On 04/08/17 16:28, Ashu Desai wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 9:46 AM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hoi Ashu,
>>
>> Friday, August 4, 2017, 4:31:28 PM, you wrote:
>>
>>> Guys
>>> So I finally managed to get my BE up on a new CentOS 7.
>>
>>> My FE:
>>> * Zotac Ion with Nvidia
>>> * 4 Gb RAM
>>> * HDMI out
>>
>>> I read the wiki and it seems to state that for the FE, I just need
>>> to install " mythtv-frontend" package.
>>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Ubuntu
>>
>>> (I know it says Ubuntu, but I checked Debian wiki and it says same
>>> thing. And there IS a mythtv-frontend package so I figured I was in the
>> right direction)
>>
>>> However, it crashes and gives segmentation fault when doing that.
>>> It doesn't have the right IP and no config.xml file.
>>
>>> https://pastebin.com/kCsFkPWP
>>
>>> I created a config file under /etc/mythtv and here's the mythfrontend
>> log
>>
>>> https://pastebin.com/hDn4QPYw
>>
>>> Should I be installing the "mythtv" package as well?
>>
>> If you want to run a frontend on another machine then is running your
>> backend, you have to adapt mysql/mariadb to listen on your ip-address.
>> By default it doesn't. Check the WIKI on installing external
>> frontends.
>>

> Yes, I did go to mysql -u -p root mythconverg and did the "grant all on
> mythconverg.* to mythtv@"%" identified by "mythtv";
>
> This didn't work either.
>
> This is what I see
>
> 2017-08-04 11:16:55.819145 E MythCoreContext::GetBackendServerIP(): No
> address defined for host: localhost
> 2017-08-04 11:16:55.827508 E MythSocket(7faf6c094160:-1): Failed to
> connect to (::1:6543) Connection refused
> 2017-08-04 11:16:55.828350 E Connection to master server timed out.
> Either the server is down or the master server
> settings
> in mythtv-settings does not contain the proper IP
> address
>
> I copied the config.xml from my backend, changed the "local host name" on
> first line - still same error.

That's not what was meant. You have to remove or comment out the "bind-address" line in the
mysql/mariadb config.

--

Mike Perkins

Re: Separate Frontend - New Install [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 10:46 AM, Mike Perkins <mikep@randomtraveller.org.uk>
wrote:

> On 04/08/17 16:28, Ashu Desai wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 9:46 AM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hoi Ashu,
>>>
>>> Friday, August 4, 2017, 4:31:28 PM, you wrote:
>>>
>>> Guys
>>>>

>>> My FE:
>>>>

>>> I read the wiki and it seems to state that for the FE, I just need
>>>>

>>> (I know it says Ubuntu, but I checked Debian wiki and it says same
>>>>
>>> right direction)
>>>
>>> However, it crashes and gives segmentation fault when doing that.
>>>>

>>> https://pastebin.com/kCsFkPWP
>>>>

>>> I created a config file under /etc/mythtv and here's the mythfrontend
>>>>
>>> log
>>>
>>> https://pastebin.com/hDn4QPYw
>>>>

>>> Should I be installing the "mythtv" package as well?
>>>>

>>> If you want to run a frontend on another machine then is running your
>>> backend, you have to adapt mysql/mariadb to listen on your ip-address.
>>> By default it doesn't. Check the WIKI on installing external
>>> frontends.
>>>

>>> Yes, I did go to mysql -u -p root mythconverg and did the "grant all on
>> mythconverg.* to mythtv@"%" identified by "mythtv";
>>
>> This didn't work either.
>>
>> This is what I see
>>
>> 2017-08-04 11:16:55.819145 E MythCoreContext::GetBackendServerIP(): No
>> address defined for host: localhost
>> 2017-08-04 11:16:55.827508 E MythSocket(7faf6c094160:-1): Failed to
>> connect to (::1:6543) Connection refused
>> 2017-08-04 11:16:55.828350 E Connection to master server timed out.
>> Either the server is down or the master server
>> settings
>> in mythtv-settings does not contain the proper IP
>> address
>>
>> I copied the config.xml from my backend, changed the "local host name" on
>> first line - still same error.
>>
>> That's not what was meant. You have to remove or comment out the
> "bind-address" line in the mysql/mariadb config.
>
> --

I already have that commented out on the mythbackend...

There is no mariadb on the FE

http://about.me/adesai
Re: Separate Frontend - New Install [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 10:53 AM, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 10:46 AM, Mike Perkins <
> mikep@randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 04/08/17 16:28, Ashu Desai wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 9:46 AM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hoi Ashu,

>>> mythconverg.* to mythtv@"%" identified by "mythtv";
>>>
>>> This didn't work either.
>>>
>>> This is what I see
>>>
>>> 2017-08-04 11:16:55.819145 E MythCoreContext::GetBackendServerIP(): No
>>> address defined for host: localhost
>>> 2017-08-04 11:16:55.827508 E MythSocket(7faf6c094160:-1): Failed to
>>> connect to (::1:6543) Connection refused
>>> 2017-08-04 11:16:55.828350 E Connection to master server timed out.
>>> Either the server is down or the master server
>>> settings
>>> in mythtv-settings does not contain the proper IP
>>> address
>>>
>>> I copied the config.xml from my backend, changed the "local host name" on
>>> first line - still same error.
>>>
>>> That's not what was meant. You have to remove or comment out the
>> "bind-address" line in the mysql/mariadb config.
>>
>> --
>>

> I already have that commented out on the mythbackend...
>
> There is no mariadb on the FE

I finally made it to work - sort of. Somehow it doesn't create config.xml

SO i created one.
However, I keep getting locked out every time it talks to the database (it
seems)

Here's the debug file. Almost looks like my Zotac Ion is too slow - it's
like it's freezing up.

I also seem to have lirc issue - I have a wireless keyboard connected to my
FE, and my remote seems to work fine - it does left/right and play, etc
Re: Separate Frontend - New Install [ In reply to ]

https://pastebin.com/XzKSBdg4

Re: Separate Frontend - New Install [ In reply to ]
Can you connect to the db from the remote frontend?

Something like

mysql mythconverg -u mythtv -h 192.168.1.55 -p -e "select count(*)
from settings;"

Obviously replace that ip with the ip of your master backend....
Re: Separate Frontend - New Install [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 5:51 PM, Per Hatlevik <jakeisawake@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you connect to the db from the remote frontend?
>
> Something like
>
> mysql mythconverg -u mythtv -h 192.168.1.55 -p -e "select count(*) from settings;"
>

> Obviously replace that ip with the ip of your master backend....

It doesn't have mysql - not sure if I need to install mariadb - all I did
was install mythtv-frontend

Re: Separate Frontend - New Install [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 6:01 PM Ashu Desai <ashu.desai@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 5:51 PM, Per Hatlevik <jakeisawake@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Can you connect to the db from the remote frontend?
>>
>> Something like
>>
>> mysql mythconverg -u mythtv -h 192.168.1.55 -p -e "select count(*) from settings;"
>>

>> Obviously replace that ip with the ip of your master backend....
>>

> It doesn't have mysql - not sure if I need to install mariadb - all I did
> was install mythtv-frontend

Mythtv frontend depends on libmysqlclient or libmariadbclient but you still
type "mysql"

If that doesn't work on the remote fe then you can't connect to the db
which is a requirement for mythtv fe or be! It would also explain your log
a bit.
Re: Separate Frontend - New Install [ In reply to ]
It is not reading config.xml file properly. Probably check permissions.

2017-08-04 16:20:44.768576 E [3384/3384] CoreContext configuration.cpp:67 (Load) - Error parsing: /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml at line: 1 column: 1

2017-08-04 16:20:44.768615 E [3384/3384] CoreContext configuration.cpp:69 (Load) - Error Msg: unexpected end of file

2017-08-04 16:20:44.772624 E [3384/3384] CoreContext mythdbparams.cpp:39 (IsValid) - DBHostName is not set in config.xml

On the BE need to make sure you have opened ports tcp/6543 and tcp/6544 (and tcp/3306 for mysql).

Shouldn't be too slow I use two 4 year old Zotac ion boxes with Centos 7 as remote FE with no issues.
Re: Separate Frontend - New Install [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 6:11 PM, Mark Perkins <perkins1724@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> It is not reading config.xml file properly. Probably check permissions.
>
> 2017-08-04 16:20:44.768576 E [3384/3384] CoreContext configuration.cpp:67
> (Load) - Error parsing: /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml at line: 1
> column: 1
>
> 2017-08-04 16:20:44.768615 E [3384/3384] CoreContext configuration.cpp:69
> (Load) - Error Msg: unexpected end of file
>
> 2017-08-04 16:20:44.772624 E [3384/3384] CoreContext mythdbparams.cpp:39
> (IsValid) - DBHostName is not set in config.xml
>
> On the BE need to make sure you have opened ports tcp/6543 and tcp/6544
> (and tcp/3306 for mysql).
>
> Shouldn't be too slow I use two 4 year old Zotac ion boxes with Centos 7
> as remote FE with no issues.

Changed the permissions:

[mythtv@mythfe7 ~]$ ls -ahl /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 mythtv mythtv 604 Aug 4 16:42 /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml

[mythtv@mythfe7 ~]$ chmod 755 /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml

[mythtv@mythfe7 ~]$ ls -ahl /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml
-rwxr-xr-x 1 mythtv mythtv 604 Aug 4 16:42 /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml

Still same thing:

https://pastebin.com/tbXraUPX
Re: Separate Frontend - New Install [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 5:51 PM, Per Hatlevik <jakeisawake@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you connect to the db from the remote frontend?
>
> Something like
>
> mysql mythconverg -u mythtv -h 192.168.1.55 -p -e "select count(*) from settings;"
>

> Obviously replace that ip with the ip of your master backend....

Installed mariadb.x86_64

Permissions changed for /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml (chmod 755)

still same issue

https://pastebin.com/LAQZ066h

http://about.me/adesai
Re: Separate Frontend - New Install [ In reply to ]
On 08/04/2017 09:04 PM, Ashu Desai wrote:
> [mythtv@mythfe7 ~]$ chmod 755/home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml
>
> [mythtv@mythfe7 ~]$ ls -ahl/home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 mythtv mythtv 604 Aug 4 16:42/home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml

config.xml isn't an executable. Mode 664 is good (and isn't
the problem.) This line says the frontend has connected to
the database:

2017-08-04 22:16:04.669452 D [7102/7102] CoreContext mythcontext.cpp:433 (FindDatabase) - FindDatabase() - Success!

> https://pastebin.com/tbXraUPX

Try this: nmap -p 6543 172.16.10.54
from the remote frontend.

Looking for these two lines:

PORT STATE SERVICE REASON
6543/tcp open mythtv syn-ack

sudo apt-get install nmap if you don't have it. It's
a handy tool to have around.

--
Bill
Re: Separate Frontend - New Install [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 10:05 PM, Bill Meek <keemllib@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/04/2017 09:04 PM, Ashu Desai wrote:
>
>> [mythtv@mythfe7 ~]$ chmod 755/home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml
>>
>> [mythtv@mythfe7 ~]$ ls -ahl/home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml
>> -rwxr-xr-x 1 mythtv mythtv 604 Aug 4 16:42/home/mythtv/.mythtv/conf
>> ig.xml
>>

> config.xml isn't an executable. Mode 664 is good (and isn't
> the problem.) This line says the frontend has connected to
> the database:
>
> 2017-08-04 22:16:04.669452 D [7102/7102] CoreContext
> mythcontext.cpp:433 (FindDatabase) - FindDatabase() - Success!
>
> https://pastebin.com/tbXraUPX
>>

> Try this: nmap -p 6543 172.16.10.54
> from the remote frontend.
>
> Looking for these two lines:
>
> PORT STATE SERVICE REASON
> 6543/tcp open mythtv syn-ack

[mythtv@mythfe7 ~]$ nmap -p 6543 172.16.10.54

Starting Nmap 6.40 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2017-08-04 23:17 CDT
Nmap scan report for 172.16.10.54
Host is up (0.00081s latency).
PORT STATE SERVICE
6543/tcp open mythtv

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 13.19 seconds

http://about.me/adesai
Re: Separate Frontend - New Install [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 9:29 PM, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 5:51 PM, Per Hatlevik <jakeisawake@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Can you connect to the db from the remote frontend?
>>
>> Something like
>>
>> mysql mythconverg -u mythtv -h 192.168.1.55 -p -e "select count(*) from settings;"
>>

>> Obviously replace that ip with the ip of your master backend....
>>

> Installed mariadb.x86_64

the database is a client/server application just like mythtv. the database
server runs on the mythtv backend server. the remote frontend needs a
mythtv client and a database client. there was no need to install mariadb
on the remote frontend (and i would remove it!) all you need is the db
client which is what the mysql command is. the mysql command can connect to
mariadb or mysqld so don't be fooled by the name. i assume you installed
mythtv frontend using an rpm so it should have brought in all the
dependencies including the mysql/mariadb client. i think you database is
not accessible over the network and until you fix that it is pointless to
troubleshoot the frontend. i repeat does this command work or not?

mysql mythconverg -u mythtv -h 192.168.1.55 -p -e "select count(*) from
settings;"

Obviously replace that ip with the ip of your master backend and run this
on the remote frontend.
Re: Separate Frontend - New Install [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 10:05 PM, Bill Meek <keemllib@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/04/2017 09:04 PM, Ashu Desai wrote:
>
>> [mythtv@mythfe7 ~]$ chmod 755/home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml
>>
>> [mythtv@mythfe7 ~]$ ls -ahl/home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml
>> -rwxr-xr-x 1 mythtv mythtv 604 Aug 4 16:42/home/mythtv/.mythtv/conf
>> ig.xml
>>

> config.xml isn't an executable. Mode 664 is good (and isn't
> the problem.) This line says the frontend has connected to
> the database:
>
> 2017-08-04 22:16:04.669452 D [7102/7102] CoreContext
> mythcontext.cpp:433 (FindDatabase) - FindDatabase() - Success!
>
> https://pastebin.com/tbXraUPX

By the way - any time I move - left to right, next menu, anything - the
following seems to come up (even though it shows connected to the DB)

1. 2017-08-04 22:00:19.048585 C Protocol version check failure.
2. The response to MYTH_PROTO_VERSION was empty.
3. This happens when the backend is too busy to
respond,
4. or has deadlocked due to bugs or hardware
failure.
5. 2017-08-04 22:00:19.070952 I
MythCoreContext::ConnectCommandSocket(): Connecting to backend server:
172.16.10.54:6543 (try 1 of 1)
6. 2017-08-04 22:00:26.085842 E MythSocket(7fe624003590:65):
ReadStringList: Error, timed out after 7000 ms.
7. 2017-08-04 22:00:26.086097 C Protocol version check failure.
8. The response to MYTH_PROTO_VERSION was empty.
9. This happens when the backend is too busy to
respond,
10. or has deadlocked due to bugs or hardware
failure.
11. 2017-08-04 22:00:26.086580 I
MythCoreContext::ConnectCommandSocket(): Connecting to backend server:
172.16.10.54:6543 (try 1 of 1)
12. 2017-08-04 22:00:33.101176 E MythSocket(7fe624017070:65):
ReadStringList: Error, timed out after 7000 ms.
13. 2017-08-04 22:00:33.101470 C Protocol version check failure.
14. The response to MYTH_PROTO_VERSION was empty.
15. This happens when the backend is too busy to
respond,
16. or has deadlocked due to bugs or hardware
failure.

Re: Separate Frontend - New Install [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 10:20 PM, Per Hatlevik <jakeisawake@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 9:29 PM, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 5:51 PM, Per Hatlevik <jakeisawake@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Can you connect to the db from the remote frontend?
>>>
>>> Something like
>>>
>>> mysql mythconverg -u mythtv -h 192.168.1.55 -p -e "select count(*) from settings;"
>>>

>>> Obviously replace that ip with the ip of your master backend....
>>>

>> Installed mariadb.x86_64
>>

> the database is a client/server application just like mythtv. the database
> server runs on the mythtv backend server. the remote frontend needs a
> mythtv client and a database client. there was no need to install mariadb
> on the remote frontend (and i would remove it!) all you need is the db
> client which is what the mysql command is. the mysql command can connect to
> mariadb or mysqld so don't be fooled by the name. i assume you installed
> mythtv frontend using an rpm so it should have brought in all the
> dependencies including the mysql/mariadb client.

I installed from rpmfusion "mythtv-frontend" - it does *not* have mysql.

So when i give the command, like i stated earlier, it says command not
found. Which is why I installed mariadb (not mariadb-server)

I removed it now.

> i think you database is not accessible over the network and until you fix
> that it is pointless to troubleshoot the frontend. i repeat does this
> command work or not?
>

> mysql mythconverg -u mythtv -h 192.168.1.55 -p -e "select count(*) from
> settings;"

When I installed the mariadb - the above command worked and showed 997
counts...

http://about.me/adesai
Re: Separate Frontend - New Install [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 10:20 PM, Per Hatlevik <jakeisawake@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 9:29 PM, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 5:51 PM, Per Hatlevik <jakeisawake@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Can you connect to the db from the remote frontend?
>>>
>>> Something like
>>>
>>> mysql mythconverg -u mythtv -h 192.168.1.55 -p -e "select count(*) from settings;"
>>>

>>> Obviously replace that ip with the ip of your master backend....
>>>

>> Installed mariadb.x86_64
>>

> the database is a client/server application just like mythtv. the database
> server runs on the mythtv backend server. the remote frontend needs a
> mythtv client and a database client. there was no need to install mariadb
> on the remote frontend (and i would remove it!) all you need is the db
> client which is what the mysql command is. the mysql command can connect to
> mariadb or mysqld so don't be fooled by the name. i assume you installed
> mythtv frontend using an rpm so it should have brought in all the
> dependencies including the mysql/mariadb client. i think you database is
> not accessible over the network and until you fix that it is pointless to
> troubleshoot the frontend. i repeat does this command work or not?
>
> mysql mythconverg -u mythtv -h 192.168.1.55 -p -e "select count(*) from
> settings;"

[mythtv@mythfe7 ~]$ mysql mythconverg -u mythtv -h 172.16.10.54 -p -e
"select count(*) from settings;"
Enter password:
+----------+
| count(*) |
+----------+
| 978 |
+----------+

(Installed mariadb again - reading around - mariadb IS the cilent version,
and seems mythtv-frontend didn't come with mysql since I don't seem to have
it)

Re: Separate Frontend - New Install [ In reply to ]
So your be and db are good from the nmap and MySQL test. I would purge the
fe and reinstall...seems the install should create configure.xml
Re: Separate Frontend - New Install [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 10:47 PM, Per Hatlevik <jakeisawake@gmail.com> wrote:

> So your be and db are good from the nmap and MySQL test. I would purge the
> fe and reinstall...seems the install should create configure.xml

So - can it be done by just doing yum erase mythtv-frontend? Would there be
any "residue" files that I need to erase? Like doing "cleaninstall"?

Re: Separate Frontend - New Install [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 10:52 PM, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 10:47 PM, Per Hatlevik <jakeisawake@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> So your be and db are good from the nmap and MySQL test. I would purge
>> the fe and reinstall...seems the install should create configure.xml
>>

> So - can it be done by just doing yum erase mythtv-frontend? Would there
> be any "residue" files that I need to erase? Like doing "cleaninstall"?

So i did yum erase mythtv-frontend, deleted files ( rm -rf
/usr/share/mythtv/*)

I removed mariadb

I did an install of them again

Ran mythwelcome and then connected gave correct backend IP then ran
mythfrontend -- crashes.

Seems something broke because i can't seem to even start it. Keeps
complaining. Ran it as root - just to see if it's permissions, nothing

https://pastebin.com/nResJiMG

http://about.me/adesai
Re: Separate Frontend - New Install [ In reply to ]
On 05/08/17 07:35, Ashu Desai wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 10:52 PM, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai@gmail.com
> <mailto:ashu.desai@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 10:47 PM, Per Hatlevik <jakeisawake@gmail.com
> <mailto:jakeisawake@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> So your be and db are good from the nmap and MySQL test. I would
> purge the fe and reinstall...seems the install should create
> configure.xml
>

> So - can it be done by just doing yum erase mythtv-frontend? Would
> there be any "residue" files that I need to erase? Like doing
> "cleaninstall"?
>

> So i did yum erase mythtv-frontend, deleted files ( rm -rf
> /usr/share/mythtv/*)
>
> I removed mariadb
>
> I did an install of them again
>
> Ran mythwelcome and then connected gave correct backend IP then ran
> mythfrontend -- crashes.
>
> Seems something broke because i can't seem to even start it. Keeps
> complaining. Ran it as root - just to see if it's permissions, nothing
>
> https://pastebin.com/nResJiMG

I just looked at the declared dependencies for the rpmfusion el7 packages.

mythtv requires mariadb and mariadb-server

I don't see either listed for mythtv-frontend, mythtv-common or
mythtv-backend

Re: Separate Frontend - New Install [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Aug 5, 2017 at 3:13 AM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk@tesco.net> wrote:

> I just looked at the declared dependencies for the rpmfusion el7 packages.
>
> mythtv requires mariadb and mariadb-server
>
> I don't see either listed for mythtv-frontend, mythtv-common or
> mythtv-backend

I can fix that on the next build. I run a combined FE/BE so I haven't run
into these dependency issues.

Now that dnf/RPM supports "Suggests" and "Recommends" as types of
dependencies on Fedora I could tweak those a bit more but yum/RPM on
CentOS/RHEL doesn't understand these.

Richard
Re: Separate Frontend - New Install [ In reply to ]
On 05/08/17 13:01, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 5, 2017 at 3:13 AM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk@tesco.net
> <mailto:J.Pilk@tesco.net>> wrote:
>

> I just looked at the declared dependencies for the rpmfusion el7
> packages.
>
> mythtv requires mariadb and mariadb-server
>
> I don't see either listed for mythtv-frontend, mythtv-common or
> mythtv-backend
>

> I can fix that on the next build. I run a combined FE/BE so I haven't
> run into these dependency issues.
>
> Now that dnf/RPM supports "Suggests" and "Recommends" as types of
> dependencies on Fedora I could tweak those a bit more but yum/RPM on
> CentOS/RHEL doesn't understand these.
>
> Richard

Perhaps that's why 28.1 for el7 has just gone into 'testing' ? I
thought at first that it was a misnamed 29-related thing.

I have only FE/BEs too, and haven't checked on how well those
dependencies fit for an FE-only machine, but it seemed not to fit in
with earlier posts. RH-related may not always fit a buntu-based
writeup, and setting up mythtv isn't normally an everyday event, so
details tend to fade from the collective (or at least my) memory.

Anyway, and of course, many thanks for your packaging work.

John