Mailing List Archive

MCE remote not working
I installed 16.04 several weeks ago and thought the remote was working.
Somewhere along the line, it stopped (solved other issues and did
updates; maybe something happened). Trying ir-keytable, it finds the
remote, but the key stroke test doesn't do anything....tried all the
event inputs (1-16), but nothing. Any ideas?

Don

don@nick:~$ sudo ir-keytable
Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event15) with:
Driver mceusb, table rc-rc6-mce
Supported protocols: unknown other lirc rc-5 jvc sony nec sanyo
mce-kbd rc-6 sharp xmp
Enabled protocols: lirc
Name: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared
bus: 3, vendor/product: 0471:0815, version: 0x0000
Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms

don@nick:~$ sudo ir-keytable -t -d /dev/input/event15
--press remote keys, but nothing happens

---

Re: MCE remote not working [ In reply to ]
> Any ideas?

Since your bus ID is 3 as per your ir-keytable output, you probably
want to try 'evtest' on 3 not 15 as per
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/HID_Remotes
Re: MCE remote not working [ In reply to ]
On 7/6/2017 6:24 PM, Tyler T wrote:
>> Any ideas?
> Since your bus ID is 3 as per your ir-keytable output, you probably
> want to try 'evtest' on 3 not 15 as per
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/HID_Remotes

Thanks, that helped a lot. I had to install the keymap, the evtest
package, and generate a keytable. The wiki has a dead link to the
kernels input.h, so I couldn't correct the mappings. I tried using the
wiki's example, but only a few keys worked. Can someone point me to an
input.h file?

---

Re: MCE remote not working [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 7 Jul 2017 09:32:54 -0400, you wrote:

>On 7/6/2017 6:24 PM, Tyler T wrote:
>>> Any ideas?
>> Since your bus ID is 3 as per your ir-keytable output, you probably
>> want to try 'evtest' on 3 not 15 as per
>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/HID_Remotes
>>
>Thanks, that helped a lot. I had to install the keymap, the evtest
>package, and generate a keytable. The wiki has a dead link to the
>kernels input.h, so I couldn't correct the mappings. I tried using the
>wiki's example, but only a few keys worked. Can someone point me to an
>input.h file?

I think the file you want may now be this one in current kernels:

/usr/include/linux/input-event-codes.h
Re: MCE remote not working [ In reply to ]
On 7/7/2017 10:01 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:

>>> Since your bus ID is 3 as per your ir-keytable output, you probably
>>> want to try 'evtest' on 3 not 15 as per
>>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/HID_Remotes
>>>
>> Thanks, that helped a lot. I had to install the keymap, the evtest
>> package, and generate a keytable. The wiki has a dead link to the
>> kernels input.h, so I couldn't correct the mappings. I tried using the
>> wiki's example, but only a few keys worked. Can someone point me to an
>> input.h file?
> I think the file you want may now be this one in current kernels:
>
> /usr/include/linux/input-event-codes.h

Thanks, that looks right. I have up/down/left/right/OK working (nothing
I did, they just worked), but most of the other buttons are not. In
evtest, the mappings seem to be correct, but mythtv isn't responding.
LiveTv doesn't respond to numbers and nothing responds to the back
button. I suspect KEY_BACK is the backspace key, so it switched it to
KEY_ESC in the mythtv key mapping (/home/don/.lirc/mythtv)....no
effect. Is there another mythtv mapping file I need to check out?

Don

From evtest:
Event: time 1499526723.365057, type 4 (EV_MSC), code 4 (MSC_SCAN), value
800f0401
Event: time 1499526723.365057, type 1 (EV_KEY), code 2 (KEY_1), value 1
Event: time 1499526723.365057, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------
Event: time 1499526723.615846, type 1 (EV_KEY), code 2 (KEY_1), value 0
Event: time 1499526723.615846, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------

Event: time 1499526727.165668, type 4 (EV_MSC), code 4 (MSC_SCAN), value
800f0402
Event: time 1499526727.165668, type 1 (EV_KEY), code 3 (KEY_2), value 1
Event: time 1499526727.165668, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------
Event: time 1499526727.415869, type 1 (EV_KEY), code 3 (KEY_2), value 0
Event: time 1499526727.415869, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------

Event: time 1499526730.375785, type 4 (EV_MSC), code 4 (MSC_SCAN), value
800f0423
Event: time 1499526730.375785, type 1 (EV_KEY), code 158 (KEY_BACK), value 1
Event: time 1499526730.375785, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------
Event: time 1499526730.627862, type 1 (EV_KEY), code 158 (KEY_BACK), value 0
Event: time 1499526730.627862, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------

Event: time 1499526742.467957, type 4 (EV_MSC), code 4 (MSC_SCAN), value
800f041e
Event: time 1499526742.467957, type 1 (EV_KEY), code 103 (KEY_UP), value 1
Event: time 1499526742.467957, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------
Event: time 1499526742.719852, type 1 (EV_KEY), code 103 (KEY_UP), value 0
Event: time 1499526742.719852, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------

Event: time 1499526749.583798, type 4 (EV_MSC), code 4 (MSC_SCAN), value
800f041f
Event: time 1499526749.583798, type 1 (EV_KEY), code 108 (KEY_DOWN), value 1
Event: time 1499526749.583798, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------
Event: time 1499526749.835852, type 1 (EV_KEY), code 108 (KEY_DOWN), value 0
Event: time 1499526749.835852, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------

From /usr/include/linux/input-event-codes.h
#define KEY_RESERVED 0
#define KEY_ESC 1
#define KEY_1 2
#define KEY_2 3

#define KEY_UP 103
#define KEY_PAGEUP 104
#define KEY_LEFT 105
#define KEY_RIGHT 106
#define KEY_END 107
#define KEY_DOWN 108
#define KEY_PAGEDOWN 109

---

Re: MCE remote not working [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 13:43:22 -0400, you wrote:

>I installed 16.04 several weeks ago and thought the remote was working.
>Somewhere along the line, it stopped (solved other issues and did
>updates; maybe something happened). Trying ir-keytable, it finds the
>remote, but the key stroke test doesn't do anything....tried all the
>event inputs (1-16), but nothing. Any ideas?
>
>Don

When you thought that the remote was working, I am guessing that you
only tried the arrow keys, and that previously were using a much older
version of Mythbuntu, from before the IR drivers moved into the
kernel. A lot of people have been caught by this - after the drivers
moved to the kernel, the arrow keys still work, but nothing much else
does, until you completely revamp your IR setup to use the in-kernel
drivers (devinput). Some people have disabled lirc and just heavily
modified the ir-keytable mapping tables. That works, but only if you
are trying to run just one program (eg mythfrontend) and can change
the mappings to what that program needs. I also use other software
with lirc (eg mplayer), so I went through the whole messy business of
reconfiguring things so that lirc worked properly. I put my setup on
my web server when I had it working, so you can download it to see if
it will help you:

http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/mythbuntu-devinput-lirc.bz2

It has configurations for my MCE remote and also for my Hauppauge
remotes that came with my HVR-900r2 and Nova TD-500 tuners.
Re: MCE remote not working [ In reply to ]
On 7/8/2017 8:40 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 13:43:22 -0400, you wrote:
>
>> I installed 16.04 several weeks ago and thought the remote was working.
>> Somewhere along the line, it stopped (solved other issues and did
>> updates; maybe something happened). Trying ir-keytable, it finds the
>> remote, but the key stroke test doesn't do anything....tried all the
>> event inputs (1-16), but nothing. Any ideas?
>>
>> Don
> When you thought that the remote was working, I am guessing that you
> only tried the arrow keys, and that previously were using a much older
> version of Mythbuntu, from before the IR drivers moved into the
> kernel. A lot of people have been caught by this - after the drivers
> moved to the kernel, the arrow keys still work, but nothing much else
> does, until you completely revamp your IR setup to use the in-kernel
> drivers (devinput). Some people have disabled lirc and just heavily
> modified the ir-keytable mapping tables. That works, but only if you
> are trying to run just one program (eg mythfrontend) and can change
> the mappings to what that program needs. I also use other software
> with lirc (eg mplayer), so I went through the whole messy business of
> reconfiguring things so that lirc worked properly. I put my setup on
> my web server when I had it working, so you can download it to see if
> it will help you:
>
> http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/mythbuntu-devinput-lirc.bz2
>
> It has configurations for my MCE remote and also for my Hauppauge
> remotes that came with my HVR-900r2 and Nova TD-500 tuners.

Thanks, I gave it a quick read; I'll give a try later this week and let
you know how it goes.

Don

---

Re: MCE remote not working [ In reply to ]
This much too late, but for the archives:

On 10/07/17 03:57, Don Brett wrote:
> On 7/8/2017 8:40 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 13:43:22 -0400, you wrote:
>>
>>> I installed 16.04 several weeks ago and thought the remote was working.
>>> Somewhere along the line, it stopped (solved other issues and did
>>> updates; maybe something happened). Trying ir-keytable, it finds the
>>> remote, but the key stroke test doesn't do anything....tried all the
>>> event inputs (1-16), but nothing. Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Don
>> When you thought that the remote was working, I am guessing that you
>> only tried the arrow keys, and that previously were using a much older
>> version of Mythbuntu, from before the IR drivers moved into the
>> kernel. A lot of people have been caught by this.

Now, here are two things: Don tries to use the kernel decoding, without
using lirc at all. So, while using ir-keytable and the kernel keymaps
the lirc drivers, in kernel or not, are irrelevant.

That said, my basic impression is that the kernel decoding is fine when
it works out of the box. However, when running into problems as here,
lirc is in many cases easier to work with. This means using the default
driver typically on /dev/lirc0.

Cheers!

--alec