Looks like Comcast is rolling out H.264 in my area now. I tried to do a
lossless transcode of one of the new files to remove commercials and it
failed. Is this still something that isn't supported?
Re: H.264 Lossless Transcoding [ In reply to ]
On 5 June 2017 at 14:49, john.baab@gmail.com <john.baab@gmail.com> wrote:

> Looks like Comcast is rolling out H.264 in my area now. I tried to do a
> lossless transcode of one of the new files to remove commercials and it
> failed. Is this still something that isn't supported?

Correct,

There are 3rd party scripts but your results may vary

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Lossless_Cut

Cheers,

Anthony
Re: H.264 Lossless Transcoding [ In reply to ]
I couldn't get Lossless_Cut to work as a MythTV task, but it does work
from the command line.

Calvin

Re: H.264 Lossless Transcoding [ In reply to ]
Looks like it isn't maintained any longer either. I'm on an Ubuntu version
that is way newer than the PPA, going to see if it will work or not.

Re: H.264 Lossless Transcoding [ In reply to ]
Got it up and running, but the cutpoints are a few frames off. The wiki
page has some words about HDHR recordings being problematic with older
versions, so it might still be an issue.
Re: H.264 Lossless Transcoding [ In reply to ]
On 9 June 2017 at 12:49, john.baab@gmail.com <john.baab@gmail.com> wrote:

> Got it up and running, but the cutpoints are a few frames off. The wiki
> page has some words about HDHR recordings being problematic with older
> versions, so it might still be an issue.

Are you running the Keyframe Adjust prior to the transcode?

I also find that audio sync is usually a problem also, more and more I'm
preferring to mark the cutpoints but not transcode as a H.264 HD recording
uncut is usually about the same size as a lossless transcoded MPEG2 SD
recording.

Cheers,

Anthony
Re: H.264 Lossless Transcoding [ In reply to ]

> Are you running the Keyframe Adjust prior to the transcode?
>>
>> I also find that audio sync is usually a problem also, more and more I'm
>> preferring to mark the cutpoints but not transcode as a H.264 HD recording
>> uncut is usually about the same size as a lossless transcoded MPEG2 SD
>> recording.

Didn't appear to help. The way I read it is that it adjusts cutpoints to
the nearest keyframe. It looks like it only cuts at keyframes as well. I
think we'd need something to go the opposite way and make the cutpoints
keyframes, not sure if that is possible.

Wondering if I might be better converting to mpeg2 so I can remove
commercials with the native tools.