Mailing List Archive

How to change EPG provider
Hi,

I'm struggeling with testing (and thus changing) to a new EPG
provider. Both are provided via XMLTV and for the same (or at least
sufficiently identical) channel lineup.

I added a new data source (using SD JSON), ran mythfilldatabase, and
it correctly filled up the EPG from both sources, with the
same/similar data. It also added new duplicate channels in the
channels listing, for the new data source. I line the new channels up
with the old list, so they have the same channel number, but still the
different XMLTV IDs.

So far so good. But as soon as switch the input card to the new data
source, tuning into channels doesn't work anymore. Switching back to
the old source (and rebooting the backend) tunes fine again.

To be honest, I never understood how inserting channels into the
listing from mythfilldatabase would work, opposed to the traditional
DVB scanning. The latter was how I generated the original channel
listing, which works.

What am I missing? Are there more steps required to switch to a
different EPG provider for the same channel setup?

Thanks, Jan.

--
Jan Schneider
The Horde Project

Re: How to change EPG provider [ In reply to ]
On 06/02/2017 03:43 AM, Jan Schneider wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm struggeling with testing (and thus changing) to a new EPG
> provider. Both are provided via XMLTV and for the same (or at least
> sufficiently identical) channel lineup.
>
> I added a new data source (using SD JSON), ran mythfilldatabase, and
> it correctly filled up the EPG from both sources, with the
> same/similar data. It also added new duplicate channels in the
> channels listing, for the new data source. I line the new channels up
> with the old list, so they have the same channel number, but still the
> different XMLTV IDs.
>
> So far so good. But as soon as switch the input card to the new data
> source, tuning into channels doesn't work anymore. Switching back to
> the old source (and rebooting the backend) tunes fine again.
>
> To be honest, I never understood how inserting channels into the
> listing from mythfilldatabase would work, opposed to the traditional
> DVB scanning. The latter was how I generated the original channel
> listing, which works.
>
> What am I missing? Are there more steps required to switch to a
> different EPG provider for the same channel setup?

As you seem to be thinking you might, you need to scan, then match up
your channels from your new listings with the found channels. I would
"Delete All" Video Sources, then scan for channels, then connect inputs,
then match up channels.

TTBOMK, unless someone found a way to add a bunch of additional
information to some XMLTV stuff (and create a database of tuning
information for areas including yours), mythfilldatabase is only able to
add channels for analog tuners or external tuners (like
CableCARD/OCUR/Firewire/...) where all you need is some channel
identifier rather than a bunch of very specific tuner/channel information.

Mike
Re: How to change EPG provider [ In reply to ]
On 06/02/2017 07:24 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 06/02/2017 03:43 AM, Jan Schneider wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm struggeling with testing (and thus changing) to a new EPG
>> provider. Both are provided via XMLTV and for the same (or at least
>> sufficiently identical) channel lineup.
>>
>> I added a new data source (using SD JSON), ran mythfilldatabase, and
>> it correctly filled up the EPG from both sources, with the
>> same/similar data. It also added new duplicate channels in the
>> channels listing, for the new data source. I line the new channels up
>> with the old list, so they have the same channel number, but still
>> the different XMLTV IDs.
>>
>> So far so good. But as soon as switch the input card to the new data
>> source, tuning into channels doesn't work anymore. Switching back to
>> the old source (and rebooting the backend) tunes fine again.
>>
>> To be honest, I never understood how inserting channels into the
>> listing from mythfilldatabase would work, opposed to the traditional
>> DVB scanning. The latter was how I generated the original channel
>> listing, which works.
>>
>> What am I missing? Are there more steps required to switch to a
>> different EPG provider for the same channel setup?
>
> As you seem to be thinking you might, you need to scan, then match up
> your channels from your new listings with the found channels. I would
> "Delete All" Video Sources, then scan for channels, then connect
> inputs, then match up channels.
>
> TTBOMK, unless someone found a way to add a bunch of additional
> information to some XMLTV stuff (and create a database of tuning
> information for areas including yours), mythfilldatabase is only able
> to add channels for analog tuners or external tuners (like
> CableCARD/OCUR/Firewire/...) where all you need is some channel
> identifier rather than a bunch of very specific tuner/channel
> information.

Oh, I should say that alternatively, you can just change the XMLTV IDs
for all the existing channels on the original Video Source to those used
by the new listings source/EPG provider. Since those channels were
properly scanned, they have the appropriate information, so you can keep
using them and just swap the listings source.

Mike