Mailing List Archive

using mythtv while traveling
We travel at lot in an RV camper and it has good OTA and Cable TV
depending on the Campground. Some have no cable and we use OTA or
DirecTV Satellite. Since you can't get the Local network stations via
satellite outside your home location due to beaming I have to locate the
network channels OTA or via Cable if the park has cable.

The problem is that the cables systems vary from campground to
campground. All are unencrypted QAM so a TV or HDHomeRun Connect set to
"cable" can find the stations.

I'd like to setup a camper version of a Mythtv backend and frontend but
I want to understand the best way to change the cable or OTA channel
setting from week to week as I move around.

I've only set up a system at home where the HDHomerun Connect and Mythtv
find one set up channels via OTA.

I use ScheduleDirect for my scheduling at home. Not sure but I'm hoping
I could change ScheduleDirect settings to other zipcodes to receive OTA
in other locations. Not sure about Cable systems that maybe privately
setup just for the campground.

Any ideas on a easier setup?

Re: using mythtv while traveling [ In reply to ]
Jim

The problem you'll always have is that as you move to each campground
you will always have to setup your channels 'as a new setup' because
it's the only way you can 'capture' what channels are on what
frequencies.

What you could do potentially is setup a different 'Video Sources' in
mythtv setup as you move to each campground (and perhaps name the
video source the same as that location). Then as you revisit an
existing pre captured location you can use that video source.

I use this methodology to combine DVB-T2 and DVB-S2 systems into one
usable frontend system,

Re: using mythtv while traveling [ In reply to ]
-- George

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 6:31 AM, Another Sillyname <
anothersname@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Jim
>
> The problem you'll always have is that as you move to each campground
> you will always have to setup your channels 'as a new setup' because
> it's the only way you can 'capture' what channels are on what
> frequencies.
>
> What you could do potentially is setup a different 'Video Sources' in
> mythtv setup as you move to each campground (and perhaps name the
> video source the same as that location). Then as you revisit an
> existing pre captured location you can use that video source.
>
> I use this methodology to combine DVB-T2 and DVB-S2 systems into one
> usable frontend system,
>

> On 23 May 2017 at 12:17, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy@outlook.com> wrote:
> > We travel at lot in an RV camper and it has good OTA and Cable TV
> > depending on the Campground. Some have no cable and we use OTA or
> > DirecTV Satellite. Since you can't get the Local network stations via
> > satellite outside your home location due to beaming I have to locate the
> > network channels OTA or via Cable if the park has cable.
> >
> > The problem is that the cables systems vary from campground to
> > campground. All are unencrypted QAM so a TV or HDHomeRun Connect set to
> > "cable" can find the stations.
> >
> > I'd like to setup a camper version of a Mythtv backend and frontend but
> > I want to understand the best way to change the cable or OTA channel
> > setting from week to week as I move around.
> >
> > I've only set up a system at home where the HDHomerun Connect and Mythtv
> > find one set up channels via OTA.
> >
> > I use ScheduleDirect for my scheduling at home. Not sure but I'm hoping
> > I could change ScheduleDirect settings to other zipcodes to receive OTA
> > in other locations. Not sure about Cable systems that maybe privately
> > setup just for the campground.
> >
> > Any ideas on a easier setup?

I have never moved my mythtv backend around like you are wanting to do, but
I do use it for OTA stations.

I bet the previous advice on setting up a new video source each time you
settle in a particular area would work.

I don't know how much work is involved in setting up your schedules direct
subscription for a distinct set of channels in each location, but I just
use the very limited schedules provided OTA. That provides show titles and
descriptions, but generally not episode titles or season or episode
numbers, but *should* work wherever you get OTA signals. It only provides
12-24 hours worth of info ahead, but that may be all you need if you're
only going to spend a day or two in one place anyway.

Let us know how it goes and what tips work for you as you move about.
Re: using mythtv while traveling [ In reply to ]

On 23 May 2017 at 12:17, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy@outlook.com<mailto:jfabernathy@outlook.com>> wrote:
> We travel at lot in an RV camper and it has good OTA and Cable TV
> depending on the Campground. Some have no cable and we use OTA or
> DirecTV Satellite. Since you can't get the Local network stations via
> satellite outside your home location due to beaming I have to locate the
> network channels OTA or via Cable if the park has cable.
>
> The problem is that the cables systems vary from campground to
> campground. All are unencrypted QAM so a TV or HDHomeRun Connect set to
> "cable" can find the stations.
>
> I'd like to setup a camper version of a Mythtv backend and frontend but
> I want to understand the best way to change the cable or OTA channel
> setting from week to week as I move around.
>
> I've only set up a system at home where the HDHomerun Connect and Mythtv
> find one set up channels via OTA.
>
> I use ScheduleDirect for my scheduling at home. Not sure but I'm hoping
> I could change ScheduleDirect settings to other zipcodes to receive OTA
> in other locations. Not sure about Cable systems that maybe privately
> setup just for the campground.
>
> Any ideas on a easier setup?

I have never moved my mythtv backend around like you are wanting to do, but I do use it for OTA stations.

I bet the previous advice on setting up a new video source each time you settle in a particular area would work.

I don't know how much work is involved in setting up your schedules direct subscription for a distinct set of channels in each location, but I just use the very limited schedules provided OTA. That provides show titles and descriptions, but generally not episode titles or season or episode numbers, but *should* work wherever you get OTA signals. It only provides 12-24 hours worth of info ahead, but that may be all you need if you're only going to spend a day or two in one place anyway.

Let us know how it goes and what tips work for you as you move about.

so I want to setup an experiment to learn what I need to do. So on my home system what do I need to do to test an OTA limited schedule video source? If I choose ETI I then have to associate that video source with an input. Do I just change one of my ScheduleDirect input connections to the video source that uses ETI? Since I have 4 tuners I could do that temporarily, but I don't want to break anything and I'm not sure how to setup a recording that only goes to the ETI source.

Ultimately, I'm looking for a process that's easy to change every few days as I move around.

Jim A

Re: using mythtv while traveling [ In reply to ]
I don't know your hardware setup, but lets assume your OTA is received
by your server using a DVB-T2 card of some description.

In mythtv-setup.

Option 2. Capture Cards - Identify the correct card/device that you
use to received OTA transmissions and add it to your existing cards.

Option 4. Video Sources - Create a new video source, lets call it
DVB-T2-OTA-TEST. Configure this for your listings source.

Option 5. Input Connections - Attach the new Capture Card Device
created above to the new Video Source created above.

Option 6. Channel Editor - Do a channel scan in here using the CORRECT
capture card configured above. Sort out the received channels.

That should be it.

What I do for the 'combined' DVB-T2 (terrestrial Freeview) and DVB-S2
(satellite) is sit down and work out what method I want to use to
receive which channels (some are duplicated from both services), then
I have a mythmakechannels script which I use to make ALL channels from
ALL services hidden, then selectively turn back on and renumber the
channels I want and the order I want them in.

So for example......

I turn BBC1 on the DVB-T2 feed back on and make it channel 1 (I can
identify the correct BBC1 using the chanid SQL table value which is
created during the scan)

I renumber the channum for the DVB-S2 version of the BBC1 one channels
to a ridiculous high number (99999xxxxxxxxx) and leave it hidden.
This 'gets it out of the way' of valid channel numbers avoiding
accidental conflict with a valid in use channum.

I sit down and do this for ALL the channels in my combined scans, then
create my customised mythmakechannels script (you could create
different 'flavours' of the script for each location) .

Here is a template of the mythmakechannels script, my version is less
complicated but you should be able to use this one to work out your
own specific needs.

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/UK_Channel_Assignments

Good luck

Re: using mythtv while traveling [ In reply to ]
On 05/23/2017 11:40 PM, Another Sillyname wrote:
> I don't know your hardware setup, but lets assume your OTA is received
> by your server using a DVB-T2 card of some description.
>
> In mythtv-setup.
>
> Option 2. Capture Cards - Identify the correct card/device that you
> use to received OTA transmissions and add it to your existing cards.
>
> Option 4. Video Sources - Create a new video source, lets call it
> DVB-T2-OTA-TEST. Configure this for your listings source.
>
> Option 5. Input Connections - Attach the new Capture Card Device
> created above to the new Video Source created above.
>
> Option 6. Channel Editor - Do a channel scan in here using the CORRECT
> capture card configured above. Sort out the received channels.
>
> That should be it.
>
> What I do for the 'combined' DVB-T2 (terrestrial Freeview) and DVB-S2
> (satellite) is sit down and work out what method I want to use to
> receive which channels (some are duplicated from both services), then
> I have a mythmakechannels script which I use to make ALL channels from
> ALL services hidden, then selectively turn back on and renumber the
> channels I want and the order I want them in.
>
> So for example......
>
> I turn BBC1 on the DVB-T2 feed back on and make it channel 1 (I can
> identify the correct BBC1 using the chanid SQL table value which is
> created during the scan)
>
> I renumber the channum for the DVB-S2 version of the BBC1 one channels
> to a ridiculous high number (99999xxxxxxxxx) and leave it hidden.
> This 'gets it out of the way' of valid channel numbers avoiding
> accidental conflict with a valid in use channum.
>
> I sit down and do this for ALL the channels in my combined scans, then
> create my customised mythmakechannels script (you could create
> different 'flavours' of the script for each location) .
>
> Here is a template of the mythmakechannels script, my version is less
> complicated but you should be able to use this one to work out your
> own specific needs.
>
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/UK_Channel_Assignments
>
> Good luck
Just so I don't mess this up. I have a HVR2250 PCIe card and a
HDHomeRun Connect. Both are now setup for OTA but the existing Video
source is ScheduleDirect.

Would I just need to Add a Video Source for OTA EPG guide data and then
delete one of the dual tuners connection and add one from the new video
source??

Jim A

Re: using mythtv while traveling [ In reply to ]
On May 25, 2017, at 6:09 AM, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy@outlook.com<mailto:jfabernathy@outlook.com>> wrote:

[...]

I just discovered that I can add multiple channel listing on Schedules Direct by US Zipcode. Then when I setup the Video Source, I can retrieve the channel listing and then I can pick the listing by Zipcode where I’m located. Scanning for channel get me the new channel list in mythtv. This might be the easiest and require the least work.

Jim A

Re: using mythtv while traveling [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 3:46 PM, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy@outlook.com> wrote:
> I just discovered that I can add multiple channel listing on Schedules
> Direct by US Zipcode.

As I understand it, there is a limit at Schedules Direct
as to how many different lineups one can have at one
time (I am going to say 4-ish, but that number may not
be correct). To add another, you have may have to
delete one. And I believe there is a limit as to how
many total changes one can make in a day. If one
is essentially doing this once a day this may not
impact you, but if you try to change lots of things
constantly you might lock yourself out for a period
(I have managed to do that to myself when testing
some code).