I really want to stick with Linux, not an Android tablet.

Is there an inexpensive laptop with a detachable (or foldable) keyboard
and a touch screen that would work?
Re: Touch Screen Linux Laptop for Myth? [ In reply to ]
On 18/05/17 11:26 AM, Ken Mandelberg wrote:
> I have a standard dell laptop running ubuntu running a mythtv frontend
> on my night table. It works well except the bulky keyboard adds distance
> to the display, and takes up real estate.
>
> I really want to stick with Linux, not an Android tablet.
>
> Is there an inexpensive laptop with a detachable (or foldable)
> keyboard and a touch screen that would work?
I use a Dell Inspirion 17 7xxx series (with integrated nVidia graphics).
Runs every distro I've tried on it (*I did have some boot issues with a
older debian). To be totally honest, I wish it was a little smaller (~15).

HTH,

Andrew.
Re: Touch Screen Linux Laptop for Myth? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Ken Mandelberg <km@mathcs.emory.edu>
wrote:

> I have a standard dell laptop running ubuntu running a mythtv frontend on
> my night table. It works well except the bulky keyboard adds distance
> to the display, and takes up real estate.
>
> I really want to stick with Linux, not an Android tablet.
>
> Is there an inexpensive laptop with a detachable (or foldable) keyboard
> and a touch screen that would work?

You can load linux on the MS Surface line. I am sure you can find an old
one fairly cheap..

-Greg
Re: Touch Screen Linux Laptop for Myth? [ In reply to ]
On 05/18/2017 01:11 PM, Andrew Stadt wrote:

> On 18/05/17 11:26 AM, Ken Mandelberg wrote:
>> I have a standard dell laptop running ubuntu running a mythtv frontend
>> on my night table. It works well except the bulky keyboard adds distance
>> to the display, and takes up real estate.
>>
>> I really want to stick with Linux, not an Android tablet.
>>
>> Is there an inexpensive laptop with a detachable (or foldable)
>> keyboard and a touch screen that would work?
> I use a Dell Inspirion 17 7xxx series (with integrated nVidia graphics).
> Runs every distro I've tried on it (*I did have some boot issues with a
> older debian). To be totally honest, I wish it was a little smaller
> (~15).

You can probably pick up a used Thinkpad X61s for about $100. The screen
swivels 180 degrees and will fold down onto the keyboard. 12 inch
touch-screen using a 'pen'.

Thanks for the idea. I had not thought about using it as a myth
frontend, but it might be a good one.

R. Geoffrey Newbury

Re: Touch Screen Linux Laptop for Myth? [ In reply to ]
Would an X61 really work. The X61 has GMA X3100 graphics, a Merom core2
(1.4-2ghz depending on model), and 2-4GB of ram (depending on model).

I've been using frontends with more potent intel or nvidia graphics,
which handle Comcasts mpeg4 HD without skipping.