Mailing List Archive

Raspberry Pi Mythfrontend 1080i Poor Playback with Recent Raspbian OS Image
I am investigating the state of mythfrontend running on Raspberry Pi
using MythTV 0.28.1 as the backend.

My video playback is unsatisfactory when using a recent Raspbian OS
image (2017-03-02). More specifically I see jaggy lines when playing
interlaced content such as North American ATSC 1080i recorded
television. The issue appears to be poor handling of interlaced
content.

Video playback with an older Raspbian OS image (2016-02-09) is
excellent.

All tests used applicable RPi MPEG2 licenses.


QUESTION:

Has anyone else experienced this issue with recent Raspbian OS
playback?

Are there suggestions to address the issue?

In the meantime I continue to use and recommend the older Raspbian OS
2016-02-09.


BACKGROUND INFORMATION:

In an effort to troubleshoot this issue, I have tested with:

- Raspberry Pi 2 and 3
- MythTV 0.27 and 0.28
- Raspbian OS 2016-02-09 and 2017-03-02

The results are consistent per the Raspbian OS image.

Raspbian Image 1080i Playback Results
-------------- -------------------------------------------------------
2016-02-09 Excellent quality with no jaggy edges
2017-03-02 Poor playback with jaggy edges when horizontal movement

It appears that my configuration of the newer Raspbian OS image does
not work well with interlaced content.


BACKGROUND INSTALLATION INFORMATION:

MYTHTV 0.28

On x86_64 mythbuntu 16.04 backend:
mythtv-backend 0.28.1+fixes.20170309.8f13742-0ubuntu0mythbuntu3

On RPi Raspbian full frontend:
mythtv-light 0.28.1-6-g7de03a9-0 [1]

[1] https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_Light


MYTHTV 0.27

On x86_64 mythbuntu 14.04 backend:
mythtv-backend 0.27.4+fixes.20141018.b305eb5-0ubuntu0mythbuntu2

On RPi Raspbian full frontend:
raspi-fixes-0.27 0.27.6-69-g41a2a8d [2]

[2]
http://gedakc.users.sourceforge.net/display-doc.php?name=pvr-rpi-mythtv-frontend

Regards,
Curtis Gedak
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: Raspberry Pi Mythfrontend 1080i Poor Playback with Recent Raspbian OS Image [ In reply to ]
On 04/10/2017 01:51 PM, Curtis Gedak wrote:
> I am investigating the state of mythfrontend running on Raspberry Pi
> using MythTV 0.28.1 as the backend.
>
> My video playback is unsatisfactory when using a recent Raspbian OS
> image (2017-03-02). More specifically I see jaggy lines when playing
> interlaced content such as North American ATSC 1080i recorded
> television. The issue appears to be poor handling of interlaced
> content.
>
> Video playback with an older Raspbian OS image (2016-02-09) is
> excellent.
>
> All tests used applicable RPi MPEG2 licenses.
>
>
> QUESTION:
>
> Has anyone else experienced this issue with recent Raspbian OS
> playback?
>
> Are there suggestions to address the issue?
>
> In the meantime I continue to use and recommend the older Raspbian OS
> 2016-02-09.
>
>
> BACKGROUND INFORMATION:
>
> In an effort to troubleshoot this issue, I have tested with:
>
> - Raspberry Pi 2 and 3
> - MythTV 0.27 and 0.28
> - Raspbian OS 2016-02-09 and 2017-03-02
>
> The results are consistent per the Raspbian OS image.
>
> Raspbian Image 1080i Playback Results
> -------------- -------------------------------------------------------
> 2016-02-09 Excellent quality with no jaggy edges
> 2017-03-02 Poor playback with jaggy edges when horizontal movement
>
> It appears that my configuration of the newer Raspbian OS image does
> not work well with interlaced content.
>
>
> BACKGROUND INSTALLATION INFORMATION:
>
> MYTHTV 0.28
>
> On x86_64 mythbuntu 16.04 backend:
> mythtv-backend 0.28.1+fixes.20170309.8f13742-0ubuntu0mythbuntu3
>
> On RPi Raspbian full frontend:
> mythtv-light 0.28.1-6-g7de03a9-0 [1]
>
> [1] https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_Light
>
>
> MYTHTV 0.27
>
> On x86_64 mythbuntu 14.04 backend:
> mythtv-backend 0.27.4+fixes.20141018.b305eb5-0ubuntu0mythbuntu2
>
> On RPi Raspbian full frontend:
> raspi-fixes-0.27 0.27.6-69-g41a2a8d [2]
>
> [2]
> http://gedakc.users.sourceforge.net/display-doc.php?name=pvr-rpi-mythtv-frontend
>
> Regards,
> Curtis Gedak
> _______________________________________________
>

Have you tried some of the alternative deinterlacers? In the Video
Playback setup there are some 10 deinterlacers available for selection.
The default one for OpenMax is Advanced(HW), but maybe there is another
one that will work better in this case.

Peter

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: Raspberry Pi Mythfrontend 1080i Poor Playback with Recent Raspbian OS Image [ In reply to ]
On 2017-04-10 12:55 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:
>
>
> On 04/10/2017 01:51 PM, Curtis Gedak wrote:
>>
>> My video playback is unsatisfactory when using a recent Raspbian OS
>> image (2017-03-02). More specifically I see jaggy lines when playing
>> interlaced content such as North American ATSC 1080i recorded
>> television. The issue appears to be poor handling of interlaced
>> content.
>>
> Have you tried some of the alternative deinterlacers? In the Video
> Playback setup there are some 10 deinterlacers available for selection.
> The default one for OpenMax is Advanced(HW), but maybe there is another
> one that will work better in this case.
>
> Peter
>

Thank you for the suggestion Peter.

Following are my test results from trying some different deinterlacers
with with Raspbian OS (2017-03-02).

I have tried the following playback profiles with MythTV Light 0.28:

Playback Profile Deinterlacer 1080i Playback Result
-------------------- ---------------- -------------------------
OpenMAX High Quality Advanced (HW) Jaggy lines
OpenMAX Normal Advanced (HW) Jaggy lines
High Quality Linear Blend Slow and jerky w/tearing
Normal Linear Blend Slow and jerky w/tearing
OpenMAX Normal [1] Fast (HW) Jaggy lines
OpenMAX Normal [1] Line double (HW) Good smooth playback


[1] Copy of OpenMAX Normal with Primary and Fallback deinterlacer
changed to same setting.

It appears that the "Line double (HW)" deinterlacer works well with
Raspbian OS (2017-03-02), at least on my installation.


Do you have any ideas why the default profile deinterlacer settings of
"Advanced (HW)" or "Fast (HW)" do not work well with Raspbian
2017-03-02, but do work well with Raspbian 2016-02-09?

Curtis
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: Raspberry Pi Mythfrontend 1080i Poor Playback with Recent Raspbian OS Image [ In reply to ]
On 04/10/2017 03:37 PM, Curtis Gedak wrote:
> Do you have any ideas why the default profile deinterlacer settings of
> "Advanced (HW)" or "Fast (HW)" do not work well with Raspbian
> 2017-03-02, but do work well with Raspbian 2016-02-09?
>
I have not tried the 2017 version of Raspbian, but I think it may be
related to their ongoing efforts to support OpenGL under X11.

Does playback and OSD still work satisfactorily with OpenGL OSD renderer
(or OpenMAX High Quality) with the good deinterlacer?

Peter
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: Raspberry Pi Mythfrontend 1080i Poor Playback with Recent Raspbian OS Image [ In reply to ]
On 2017-04-11 09:54 AM, Peter Bennett wrote:
>
> Does playback and OSD still work satisfactorily with OpenGL OSD renderer
> (or OpenMAX High Quality) with the good deinterlacer?
>

Hi Peter,

On Raspbian OS 2017-03-02 with the primary deinterlacer set to "Line
double (HW)" in the following two playback profiles, the playback was
smooth without On Screen Display in action. When OSD was in action,
there was a small slowness in the playback of video content. This was
just perceptible, and for me acceptable for the few times that OSD is
activated (FFWD/REW/INFO).

Playback Profile Deinterlacer 1080i Playback Result
------------------------ ---------------- -------------------------
OpenMAX High Quality [1] Line double (HW) Good smooth playback
OpenMAX Normal [1] Line double (HW) Good smooth playback

[1] Edited profile to set Primary deinterlacer to "Line double (HW)".

I also tested with Raspbian OS 2016-02-09 and had the same playback
experience.


Thank you Peter for all your work to ensure that the efforts to get
MythTV working on the Raspberry Pi have not been lost, and continue to
improve.

Further a huge thank you to all the people who have contributed to
MythTV over the years. I've been a happy MythTV user since 2011 and
appreciate the freedom provided with a home-build PVR.

Sincerely,
Curtis Gedak
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: Raspberry Pi Mythfrontend 1080i Poor Playback with Recent Raspbian OS Image [ In reply to ]
On 04/11/2017 01:11 PM, Curtis Gedak wrote:
> On 2017-04-11 09:54 AM, Peter Bennett wrote:
>> Does playback and OSD still work satisfactorily with OpenGL OSD renderer
>> (or OpenMAX High Quality) with the good deinterlacer?
>>
> Hi Peter,
>
> On Raspbian OS 2017-03-02 with the primary deinterlacer set to "Line
> double (HW)" in the following two playback profiles, the playback was
> smooth without On Screen Display in action. When OSD was in action,
> there was a small slowness in the playback of video content. This was
> just perceptible, and for me acceptable for the few times that OSD is
> activated (FFWD/REW/INFO).
>
> Playback Profile Deinterlacer 1080i Playback Result
> ------------------------ ---------------- -------------------------
> OpenMAX High Quality [1] Line double (HW) Good smooth playback
> OpenMAX Normal [1] Line double (HW) Good smooth playback
>
> [1] Edited profile to set Primary deinterlacer to "Line double (HW)".
>
> I also tested with Raspbian OS 2016-02-09 and had the same playback
> experience.
>
>
> Thank you Peter for all your work to ensure that the efforts to get
> MythTV working on the Raspberry Pi have not been lost, and continue to
> improve.
>
> Further a huge thank you to all the people who have contributed to
> MythTV over the years. I've been a happy MythTV user since 2011 and
> appreciate the freedom provided with a home-build PVR.
>
> Sincerely,
> Curtis Gedak
> _______________________________________________
>
It seems the hardware deinterlacers are not working with the latest
version of Raspbian. I tried Line Double (HW) and it is not too bad with
HD but is terrible with SD. I think that is falling back to the default
"One Field". Testing with One Field gives the same results. It seems the
best deinterlacer in this setup is Kernel or Linear Blend. They both
work reasonably well. There is an increase in CPU usage but the system
seems to handle it.

Peter
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: Raspberry Pi Mythfrontend 1080i Poor Playback with Recent Raspbian OS Image [ In reply to ]
On 2017-04-22 12:21 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:
>
> It seems the hardware deinterlacers are not working with the latest
> version of Raspbian. I tried Line Double (HW) and it is not too bad with
> HD but is terrible with SD. I think that is falling back to the default
> "One Field". Testing with One Field gives the same results. It seems the
> best deinterlacer in this setup is Kernel or Linear Blend. They both
> work reasonably well. There is an increase in CPU usage but the system
> seems to handle it.
>
> Peter


Thank you Peter for confirming this issue.

Do you know if this issue has been reported to the Raspberry Pi OS folks?


Overall I have found that recording playback is best with an earlier
version of Raspbian, such as 2016-02-09-raspbian-jessie.

I made a note of this in my tutorial [1] for MythTV 0.27 users.

[1] Setting Up an Inexpensive Raspberry Pi 2 as a Cheap Frontend to
MythTV with MythFrontend
http://gedakc.users.sourceforge.net/display-doc.php?name=pvr-rpi-mythtv-frontend

It seems that these earlier versions of Raspbian work better with
mythfrontend on a raspberry pi for both MythTV 0.27 and MythTV 0.28.

Curtis
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org