with it?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Re: Potential issues with Qt 5.7.1? [ In reply to ]
On 17 December 2016 at 08:11, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com> wrote:
> Qt 5.7.1 is in fact available in portage. To minimize the number of
> times I have to build Qt5 I'd sort of like to go with that, but I'm a
> little leery of being that bleeding edge. Is anyone out there using
> MythTV with Qt 5.7.1, or is anyone aware of any issues I might have
> with it?
why would there be issues?

using with 5.7 on mac just fine...
Re: Potential issues with Qt 5.7.1? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 4:17 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17 December 2016 at 08:11, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Qt 5.7.1 is in fact available in portage. To minimize the number of
>> times I have to build Qt5 I'd sort of like to go with that, but I'm a
>> little leery of being that bleeding edge. Is anyone out there using
>> MythTV with Qt 5.7.1, or is anyone aware of any issues I might have
>> with it?
> why would there be issues?
>
> using with 5.7 on mac just fine...

Thanks! Good to know.

I wasn't too happy when I noticed that Qt 5.7.1 was trying to pull in
gtk3 which in turn pulls in dbus (which I do NOT use and want no part
of). However I discovered that removing the gtk USE flag from
dev-qt/qtgui prevents this...wheew.

Thanks again!
Tom
Re: Potential issues with Qt 5.7.1? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 4:36 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 4:17 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On 17 December 2016 at 08:11, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> Qt 5.7.1 is in fact available in portage. To minimize the number of
> >> times I have to build Qt5 I'd sort of like to go with that, but I'm a
> >> little leery of being that bleeding edge. Is anyone out there using
> >> MythTV with Qt 5.7.1, or is anyone aware of any issues I might have
> >> with it?
> > why would there be issues?
> >
> > using with 5.7 on mac just fine...
>
> Thanks! Good to know.
>
> I wasn't too happy when I noticed that Qt 5.7.1 was trying to pull in
> gtk3 which in turn pulls in dbus (which I do NOT use and want no part
> of). However I discovered that removing the gtk USE flag from
> dev-qt/qtgui prevents this...wheew.
>
> Thanks again!
> Tom

I'm using QT 5.7.1 with a frontend version 0.28 for a couple of days and
there hasn't been any issues as of yet. I haven't updated the server yet
but I will soon.
Re: Potential issues with Qt 5.7.1? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Dec 17, 2016 at 12:26 AM, david brooke
<david2012brooke@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 4:36 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I wasn't too happy when I noticed that Qt 5.7.1 was trying to pull in
>> gtk3 which in turn pulls in dbus (which I do NOT use and want no part
>> of). However I discovered that removing the gtk USE flag from
>> dev-qt/qtgui prevents this...wheew.
>>
>> Thanks again!
>> Tom
>

> I'm using QT 5.7.1 with a frontend version 0.28 for a couple of days and
> there hasn't been any issues as of yet. I haven't updated the server yet but
> I will soon.

Thanks! Is anyone aware of any reason that MythTV would need gtk
support in Qt5? I'd be pretty surprised if it did. As noted above I'm
expressly excluding that to avoid gtk3, dbus etc.

Thanks again.
Tom
Re: Potential issues with Qt 5.7.1? [ In reply to ]
On 18 December 2016 at 01:10, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks! Is anyone aware of any reason that MythTV would need gtk
> support in Qt5? I'd be pretty surprised if it did. As noted above I'm
> expressly excluding that to avoid gtk3, dbus etc.

it doesn't need gtk support, if gtk is pulled it would be due to a
dependency set by qt itself
Re: Potential issues with Qt 5.7.1? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 5:18 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18 December 2016 at 01:10, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks! Is anyone aware of any reason that MythTV would need gtk
>> support in Qt5? I'd be pretty surprised if it did. As noted above I'm
>> expressly excluding that to avoid gtk3, dbus etc.
>
> it doesn't need gtk support, if gtk is pulled it would be due to a
> dependency set by qt itself

Thanks! Yea, just removing the gtk USE flag for Qt5 prevents that from
getting pulled in.
Re: Potential issues with Qt 5.7.1? [ In reply to ]
On 16/12/16 21:36, Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 4:17 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 17 December 2016 at 08:11, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Qt 5.7.1 is in fact available in portage. To minimize the number of
>>> times I have to build Qt5 I'd sort of like to go with that, but I'm a
>>> little leery of being that bleeding edge. Is anyone out there using
>>> MythTV with Qt 5.7.1, or is anyone aware of any issues I might have
>>> with it?
>> why would there be issues?
>>
>> using with 5.7 on mac just fine...
>
> Thanks! Good to know.
>
> I wasn't too happy when I noticed that Qt 5.7.1 was trying to pull in
> gtk3 which in turn pulls in dbus (which I do NOT use and want no part
> of). However I discovered that removing the gtk USE flag from
> dev-qt/qtgui prevents this...wheew.

Works just fine on Fedora 25.

It's a shame you don't want DBus, that's how we now control the
screensaver, and it works nicely.

Regards
Stuart

Re: Potential issues with Qt 5.7.1? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 5:33 AM, Stuart Auchterlonie
<stuarta@squashedfrog.net> wrote:
> On 16/12/16 21:36, Tom Dexter wrote:
>>> why would there be issues?
>>>
>>> using with 5.7 on mac just fine...
>>
>> Thanks! Good to know.
>>
>> I wasn't too happy when I noticed that Qt 5.7.1 was trying to pull in
>> gtk3 which in turn pulls in dbus (which I do NOT use and want no part
>> of). However I discovered that removing the gtk USE flag from
>> dev-qt/qtgui prevents this...wheew.
>>

> Works just fine on Fedora 25.
>
> It's a shame you don't want DBus, that's how we now control the
> screensaver, and it works nicely.
>

> Regards
> Stuart

I upgraded yesterday and everything seems to be working great. I'm a
little confused regarding screensaver. I'm using xscreensaver within
fluxbox and that always seems to work fine. Is that using alternate
methods when dbus isn't in use? I have almost as little desire to use
dbus as I do for systemd frankly.

Tom
Re: Potential issues with Qt 5.7.1? [ In reply to ]
On 21/12/16 13:29, Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 5:33 AM, Stuart Auchterlonie
> <stuarta@squashedfrog.net> wrote:

>>> Thanks! Good to know.
>>>
>>> I wasn't too happy when I noticed that Qt 5.7.1 was trying to pull in
>>> gtk3 which in turn pulls in dbus (which I do NOT use and want no part
>>> of). However I discovered that removing the gtk USE flag from
>>> dev-qt/qtgui prevents this...wheew.
>>>

>> Works just fine on Fedora 25.
>>
>> It's a shame you don't want DBus, that's how we now control the
>> screensaver, and it works nicely.
>>

>> Regards
>> Stuart
>>

> I upgraded yesterday and everything seems to be working great. I'm a
> little confused regarding screensaver. I'm using xscreensaver within
> fluxbox and that always seems to work fine. Is that using alternate
> methods when dbus isn't in use? I have almost as little desire to use
> dbus as I do for systemd frankly.

xscreensaver is the "legacy" way and does still work. I kept that on
purpose to not break existing setups. For new systems where that isn't
installed by default, the dbus method has the advantage that it
"just works" without the user having to install an additional
package.

As interfaces go, it's much cleaner than xscreensaver.

It fixes the issue where the screensaver would stay disabled if the
frontend crashed out without restoring the screensaver state.
With the DBus API, DBus knows the client (ie. the frontend) has gone
away and there for cleans up and restores the screensaver state.

But i'm not going to force you to use it :)

Cheers
Stuart

Re: Potential issues with Qt 5.7.1? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 10:33 AM, Stuart Auchterlonie
<stuarta@squashedfrog.net> wrote:
> On 21/12/16 13:29, Tom Dexter wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 5:33 AM, Stuart Auchterlonie
>> <stuarta@squashedfrog.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Works just fine on Fedora 25.
>>>
>>> It's a shame you don't want DBus, that's how we now control the
>>> screensaver, and it works nicely.
>>>

>>> Regards
>>> Stuart
>>>

>> I upgraded yesterday and everything seems to be working great. I'm a
>> little confused regarding screensaver. I'm using xscreensaver within
>> fluxbox and that always seems to work fine. Is that using alternate
>> methods when dbus isn't in use? I have almost as little desire to use
>> dbus as I do for systemd frankly.
>>

> xscreensaver is the "legacy" way and does still work. I kept that on
> purpose to not break existing setups. For new systems where that isn't
> installed by default, the dbus method has the advantage that it
> "just works" without the user having to install an additional
> package.
>
> As interfaces go, it's much cleaner than xscreensaver.
>
> It fixes the issue where the screensaver would stay disabled if the
> frontend crashed out without restoring the screensaver state.
> With the DBus API, DBus knows the client (ie. the frontend) has gone
> away and there for cleans up and restores the screensaver state.
>
> But i'm not going to force you to use it :)
>

> Cheers
> Stuart

Ahh...got it. Thanks for the clarification! I have noticed one issue
on some rare cases where the frontend has crashed. I have my frontend
login configured (as others do in Gentoo sometimes) to respawn via
inittab. Sometimes after a crash, xscreensaver will not exit screen
saver mode as a result of the LIRC remote...just via the keyboard. Is
that related to the issue you're referring to or does that sound like
something else?

Thanks!
Tom
Re: Potential issues with Qt 5.7.1? [ In reply to ]
On 21/12/16 22:33, Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 10:33 AM, Stuart Auchterlonie
> <stuarta@squashedfrog.net> wrote:
>> On 21/12/16 13:29, Tom Dexter wrote:

>>> I upgraded yesterday and everything seems to be working great. I'm a
>>> little confused regarding screensaver. I'm using xscreensaver within
>>> fluxbox and that always seems to work fine. Is that using alternate
>>> methods when dbus isn't in use? I have almost as little desire to use
>>> dbus as I do for systemd frankly.
>>>

>> xscreensaver is the "legacy" way and does still work. I kept that on
>> purpose to not break existing setups. For new systems where that isn't
>> installed by default, the dbus method has the advantage that it
>> "just works" without the user having to install an additional
>> package.
>>
>> As interfaces go, it's much cleaner than xscreensaver.
>>
>> It fixes the issue where the screensaver would stay disabled if the
>> frontend crashed out without restoring the screensaver state.
>> With the DBus API, DBus knows the client (ie. the frontend) has gone
>> away and there for cleans up and restores the screensaver state.
>>
>> But i'm not going to force you to use it :)
>>

>> Cheers
>> Stuart
>>
> Ahh...got it. Thanks for the clarification! I have noticed one issue
> on some rare cases where the frontend has crashed. I have my frontend
> login configured (as others do in Gentoo sometimes) to respawn via
> inittab. Sometimes after a crash, xscreensaver will not exit screen
> saver mode as a result of the LIRC remote...just via the keyboard. Is
> that related to the issue you're referring to or does that sound like
> something else?

Does sound similiar. IIRC the way the xscreensaver code works is it
just runs xscreensaver to disable and enable the screensaver, and also
uses it to "poke" the screensaver. If the crash occurs after the disable
then the screensaver remains disabled.

I ended up implementing it because the other old way was using the
xdpms calls, and that had stopped working from about Fedora 23. The code
thought it had worked, but it never inhibited the screensaver.

It's part of my ongoing desire to make mythtv "just work" when it's
installed.

Regards
Stuart

Re: Potential issues with Qt 5.7.1? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 5:36 AM, Stuart Auchterlonie
<stuarta@squashedfrog.net> wrote:
> On 21/12/16 22:33, Tom Dexter wrote:
>> Ahh...got it. Thanks for the clarification! I have noticed one issue
>> on some rare cases where the frontend has crashed. I have my frontend
>> login configured (as others do in Gentoo sometimes) to respawn via
>> inittab. Sometimes after a crash, xscreensaver will not exit screen
>> saver mode as a result of the LIRC remote...just via the keyboard. Is
>> that related to the issue you're referring to or does that sound like
>> something else?
>>

> Does sound similiar. IIRC the way the xscreensaver code works is it
> just runs xscreensaver to disable and enable the screensaver, and also
> uses it to "poke" the screensaver. If the crash occurs after the disable
> then the screensaver remains disabled.
>
> I ended up implementing it because the other old way was using the
> xdpms calls, and that had stopped working from about Fedora 23. The code
> thought it had worked, but it never inhibited the screensaver.
>
> It's part of my ongoing desire to make mythtv "just work" when it's
> installed.
>
> Regards
> Stuart

Thanks for the clarification! I'm almost sure I've never seen that
behavior except after a (rare) crash.

Tom
Re: Potential issues with Qt 5.7.1? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 10:53 AM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 5:36 AM, Stuart Auchterlonie
> <stuarta@squashedfrog.net> wrote:
>> On 21/12/16 22:33, Tom Dexter wrote:
>>> Ahh...got it. Thanks for the clarification! I have noticed one issue
>>> on some rare cases where the frontend has crashed. I have my frontend
>>> login configured (as others do in Gentoo sometimes) to respawn via
>>> inittab. Sometimes after a crash, xscreensaver will not exit screen
>>> saver mode as a result of the LIRC remote...just via the keyboard. Is
>>> that related to the issue you're referring to or does that sound like
>>> something else?
>>>

>> Does sound similiar. IIRC the way the xscreensaver code works is it
>> just runs xscreensaver to disable and enable the screensaver, and also
>> uses it to "poke" the screensaver. If the crash occurs after the disable
>> then the screensaver remains disabled.
>>
>> I ended up implementing it because the other old way was using the
>> xdpms calls, and that had stopped working from about Fedora 23. The code
>> thought it had worked, but it never inhibited the screensaver.
>>
>> It's part of my ongoing desire to make mythtv "just work" when it's
>> installed.
>>
>> Regards
>> Stuart
>
> Thanks for the clarification! I'm almost sure I've never seen that
> behavior except after a (rare) crash.
>
> Tom

Replying to this old one for anyone who may run into something
similar: I've been able to fix the issue I had in the event of a
mythfrontend crash where xscreensaver stops responding specifically to
the remote. I found that I could consistently reproduce the issue by
using a kill 9 on mythfrontend. Again, I spawn mythtfrontend from
inittab. I had this in /home/mythtv/.xinitrc:

startfluxbox &
exec /usr/bin/mythfrontend --verbose general --logpath /var/log/mythtv

In turn, fluxbox was starting xscreensaver. During an inittab respawn
of all this, it was apparently starting mythfrontend too
quickly...probably causing xscreensaver to start before mythfrontend
created the new lirc connection. I fixed this by just adding a sleep
before starting mythfrontend:

startfluxbox &
sleep 3
exec /usr/bin/mythfrontend --verbose general --logpath /var/log/mythtv

Now the remote works fine after these respawns.

Happily running dbus-free with Mythtv 0.28 and qt5. However starting
with nvidia-drivers version 381 nVidia apparently made dbus a
requirement for nvidia-settings...ffs. I decided to just bag
nvidia-settings (adding -tools to the gentoo USE settings for
nvidia-drivers). I can't recall the last time I needed to run that
anyway. I monitor GPU temperature using /opt/bin/nvidia-smi which is a
wonderful lightweight CLI program...so I'll give nVidia credit for
that. Escaping the bloat-creep in Linux seems to require endless
vigilance these days though.

Tom