Mailing List Archive

Installation instructions for mythbuntu 16.04.1
A number of you have been very kind is answering installation, database backup, and support questions. Because of this I have been successful in doing a fresh install of Mythbuntu 16.04.1 with mythtv 0.28 and keeping my current recordings and database for those recordings.

Since I’ll have to do this again at some point in the future log after I’ve forgotten what I did, I documented the steps. I keep these instructions on blogspot so I don’t even have to remember which computer I wrote them up on, just go to google and search.

I’ve included a link to the blog below, but I have the Word and PDF docs if anyone wants to share with newbies or whoever.

http://mythtvinstall.blogspot.com/2016/12/how-to-install-mythbuntu-16041.html

Thanks again for all the help.

Jim A
Re: Installation instructions for mythbuntu 16.04.1 [ In reply to ]
Hoi Jim,

> A number of you have been very kind is answering installation,
> database backup, and support questions. Because of this I have been
> successful in doing a fresh install of Mythbuntu 16.04.1 with mythtv
> 0.28 and keeping my current recordings and database for those recordings.

> Since I’ll have to do this again at some point in the future log
> after I’ve forgotten what I did, I documented the steps. I keep
> these instructions on blogspot so I don’t even have to remember
> which computer I wrote them up on, just go to google and search.

> I’ve included a link to the blog below, but I have the Word and PDF
> docs if anyone wants to share with newbies or whoever.

> http://mythtvinstall.blogspot.com/2016/12/how-to-install-mythbuntu-16041.html

> Thanks again for all the help.

> Jim A

Maybe adding them to the WIKI ??

Tot mails,
Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop
Het eeuwige dilemma

De lerende Mens

Re: Installation instructions for mythbuntu 16.04.1 [ In reply to ]
On 12/02/2016 05:19 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Hoi Jim,
>
> Friday, December 2, 2016, 11:15:03 PM, you wrote:
>

>> A number of you have been very kind is answering installation,
>> database backup, and support questions. Because of this I have been
>> successful in doing a fresh install of Mythbuntu 16.04.1 with mythtv
>> 0.28 and keeping my current recordings and database for those recordings.
>>
>> Since I’ll have to do this again at some point in the future log
>> after I’ve forgotten what I did, I documented the steps. I keep
>> these instructions on blogspot so I don’t even have to remember
>> which computer I wrote them up on, just go to google and search.
>>
>> I’ve included a link to the blog below, but I have the Word and PDF
>> docs if anyone wants to share with newbies or whoever.
>>
>> http://mythtvinstall.blogspot.com/2016/12/how-to-install-mythbuntu-16041.html
>>
>> Thanks again for all the help.
>>
>> Jim A
>>

> Maybe adding them to the WIKI ??

I tried to add something to a wiki back when I was working and it was a
part of my job and I can't say that was easy. The formating is arcane.
I could not figure it out. Almost as bad as Word.

Re: Installation instructions for mythbuntu 16.04.1 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 12:12 AM, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy@outlook.com> wrote:
> I tried to add something to a wiki back when I was working and it was a
> part of my job and I can't say that was easy. The formating is arcane.
> I could not figure it out. Almost as bad as Word.

mediawiki is an acquired taste (but I prefer chocolate).
Re: Installation instructions for mythbuntu 16.04.1 [ In reply to ]
Hoi Jim,

> A number of you have been very kind is answering installation,
> database backup, and support questions. Because of this I have been
> successful in doing a fresh install of Mythbuntu 16.04.1 with mythtv
> 0.28 and keeping my current recordings and database for those recordings.

> Since I’ll have to do this again at some point in the future log
> after I’ve forgotten what I did, I documented the steps. I keep
> these instructions on blogspot so I don’t even have to remember
> which computer I wrote them up on, just go to google and search.

> I’ve included a link to the blog below, but I have the Word and PDF
> docs if anyone wants to share with newbies or whoever.

> http://mythtvinstall.blogspot.com/2016/12/how-to-install-mythbuntu-16041.html

> Thanks again for all the help.

> Jim A

I put your link onto another thread. If you find it important that
your experience perseveres, find the power to put it on the wiki ;-(

Re: Installation instructions for mythbuntu 16.04.1 [ In reply to ]
Hoi Hika,

Saturday, December 3, 2016, 6:03:37 AM, you wrote:

> Hoi Jim,

> Friday, December 2, 2016, 11:15:03 PM, you wrote:

>> A number of you have been very kind is answering installation,
>> database backup, and support questions. Because of this I have been
>> successful in doing a fresh install of Mythbuntu 16.04.1 with mythtv
>> 0.28 and keeping my current recordings and database for those recordings.

>> Since I’ll have to do this again at some point in the future log
>> after I’ve forgotten what I did, I documented the steps. I keep
>> these instructions on blogspot so I don’t even have to remember
>> which computer I wrote them up on, just go to google and search.

>> I’ve included a link to the blog below, but I have the Word and PDF
>> docs if anyone wants to share with newbies or whoever.

>> http://mythtvinstall.blogspot.com/2016/12/how-to-install-mythbuntu-16041.html

>> Thanks again for all the help.

>> Jim A

> I put your link onto another thread. If you find it important that
> your experience perseveres, find the power to put it on the wiki ;-(

Even just putting your link on the WIKI...
As long as jou maintain that link ! ;-)

Re: Installation instructions for mythbuntu 16.04.1 [ In reply to ]
On 12/03/2016 12:11 AM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Hoi Hika,
>
> Saturday, December 3, 2016, 6:03:37 AM, you wrote:
>
>> Hoi Jim,
>> Friday, December 2, 2016, 11:15:03 PM, you wrote:
>>>
>>> A number of you have been very kind is answering installation,
>>> database backup, and support questions. Because of this I have been
>>> successful in doing a fresh install of Mythbuntu 16.04.1 with mythtv
>>> 0.28 and keeping my current recordings and database for those recordings.
>>>
>>> Since I’ll have to do this again at some point in the future log
>>> after I’ve forgotten what I did, I documented the steps. I keep
>>> these instructions on blogspot so I don’t even have to remember
>>> which computer I wrote them up on, just go to google and search.
>>>
>>> I’ve included a link to the blog below, but I have the Word and PDF
>>> docs if anyone wants to share with newbies or whoever.
>>>
>>> http://mythtvinstall.blogspot.com/2016/12/how-to-install-mythbuntu-16041.html
>>>
>>> Thanks again for all the help.
>>>
>>> Jim A
>>>
>> I put your link onto another thread. If you find it important that
>> your experience perseveres, find the power to put it on the wiki ;-(
> Even just putting your link on the WIKI...
> As long as jou maintain that link ! ;-)
I went to the mythtv wiki and it would not take the login I use for the
mythtv forum. I tried to create a login but there is no link to
register; only login. Even though the link says to register. When I
keep going I get to MediaWiki, and can create a login there, but that
doesn't help me back on mythtv wiki.

See why people don't use wiki.

Jim A

Re: Installation instructions for mythbuntu 16.04.1 [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 03 Dec 2016 12:33:18 Jim Abernathy wrote:

> I went to the mythtv wiki and it would not take the login I use for the
> mythtv forum. I tried to create a login but there is no link to
> register; only login. Even though the link says to register. When I
> keep going I get to MediaWiki, and can create a login there, but that
> doesn't help me back on mythtv wiki.
>
> See why people don't use wiki.
>
> Jim A

The register link was removed because of spam on the wiki.
Unfortunately a small few mess things for others.

Regards, Steve Goodey
Colchester, England
mailto://stevegoodey@spamcop.net

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Re: Installation instructions for mythbuntu 16.04.1 [ In reply to ]
On 12/03/2016 08:40 AM, Steve Goodey wrote:

On Saturday 03 Dec 2016 12:33:18 Jim Abernathy wrote:

> I went to the mythtv wiki and it would not take the login I use for the

> mythtv forum. I tried to create a login but there is no link to

> register; only login. Even though the link says to register. When I

> keep going I get to MediaWiki, and can create a login there, but that

> doesn't help me back on mythtv wiki.

> See why people don't use wiki.

> Jim A

The register link was removed because of spam on the wiki.

Unfortunately a small few mess things for others.

So how do you register if the mythtv wiki login is not the same as the forum. It's not the sames as the one I created on MediaWiki either.

Jim A

--

Regards, Steve Goodey

Colchester, England

mailto://stevegoodey@spamcop.net

[cid:part1.31FEB693.8BDFCB85@outlook.com]

Hello to Jason Isaacs

Re: Installation instructions for mythbuntu 16.04.1 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 2:20 PM, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy@outlook.com> wrote:

> So how do you register if the mythtv wiki login is not the same as the forum. It's not the sames as the one I created on MediaWiki either.

As I understand it, in the long term plans, the devs
intend to implement SSO. In the short term, one
has to arrange (usually on IRC) to have the wiki
opened for logins to let the new person create an
account, and then it will be disabled again to block
the spammers.

Yes, it is ugly.
Re: Installation instructions for mythbuntu 16.04.1 [ In reply to ]
On 03/12/16 12:33, Jim Abernathy wrote:

> On 12/03/2016 12:11 AM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>> Hoi Hika,
>>
>> Saturday, December 3, 2016, 6:03:37 AM, you wrote:
>>
>>> Hoi Jim,

>>> I put your link onto another thread. If you find it important that
>>> your experience perseveres, find the power to put it on the wiki ;-(
>> Even just putting your link on the WIKI...
>> As long as jou maintain that link ! ;-)
> I went to the mythtv wiki and it would not take the login I use for the
> mythtv forum. I tried to create a login but there is no link to
> register; only login. Even though the link says to register. When I
> keep going I get to MediaWiki, and can create a login there, but that
> doesn't help me back on mythtv wiki.
>
> See why people don't use wiki.

So there is no shared logins between the wiki and the forum.
That's on the todo list.

Registration on the wiki is disabled due to regular bouts of
forum spam, if you need to register, it can be enabled for a
little while.

Regards
Stuart

Re: Installation instructions for mythbuntu 16.04.1 [ In reply to ]
________________________________
Jim:
Nice work.
I have made a stab at putting your instructions up. See https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:PhilB for first draft. Not very pretty but I think it's all there. When I remember how to do it I'll put it on a page with relevant title. Feel free to leap in yourself though.
I didn't see mention of restoring database from your backup.
Phil
Re: Installation instructions for mythbuntu 16.04.1 [ In reply to ]
On 12/16/2016 06:08 AM, Philip Brady wrote:

________________________________
Jim:
Nice work.
I have made a stab at putting your instructions up. See https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:PhilB for first draft. Not very pretty but I think it's all there. When I remember how to do it I'll put it on a page with relevant title. Feel free to leap in yourself though.
I didn't see mention of restoring database from your backup.
Phil

First quick glance, I see step 22 has a # in front of the Subsystem line.

Re: Installation instructions for mythbuntu 16.04.1 [ In reply to ]
Jim:
Nice work.
I have made a stab at putting your instructions up. See https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:PhilB for first draft. Not very pretty but I think it's all there. When I remember how to do it I'll put it on a page with relevant title. Feel free to leap in yourself though.
I didn't see mention of restoring database from your backup.
Phil

First quick glance, I see step 22 has a # in front of the Subsystem line.

Hi Jim.
Fixed that - also tidied up a few other minor formatting stuff and added database restore and checking (28 and 29).
We still need to put it in a proper place and create links to it, but would you check content please?
Phil
I have made a stab at putting your instructions up. See https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:PhilB for first draft. Not very pretty but I think it's all there. When I remember how to do it I'll put it on a page with relevant title. Feel free to leap in yourself though.
I didn't see mention of restoring database from your backup.
Phil

First quick glance, I see step 22 has a # in front of the Subsystem line.

Hi Jim.
Fixed that - also tidied up a few other minor formatting stuff and added database restore and checking (28 and 29).
We still need to put it in a proper place and create links to it, but would you check content please?
Phil

Job finished. See https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Install_Mythbuntu_16.04.01
Indexed in HOWTO and Knowlege Base.
Phil
Re: Installation instructions for mythbuntu 16.04.1 [ In reply to ]

________________________________
I have made a stab at putting your instructions up. See <https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:PhilB> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:PhilB for first draft. Not very pretty but I think it's all there. When I remember how to do it I'll put it on a page with relevant title. Feel free to leap in yourself though.
I didn't see mention of restoring database from your backup.
Phil

First quick glance, I see step 22 has a # in front of the Subsystem line.

Hi Jim.
Fixed that - also tidied up a few other minor formatting stuff and added database restore and checking (28 and 29).
We still need to put it in a proper place and create links to it, but would you check content please?
Phil

Job finished. See https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Install_Mythbuntu_16.04.01
Indexed in HOWTO and Knowlege Base.
Phil

I've never optiimized the database like you mentioned in step 28 and 29, so I trust that is correct.

Thanks for putting this is the Wiki. Having the link up front to the blog will help those wanting the extras like kodi, etc.

Jim A

Re: Installation instructions for mythbuntu 16.04.1 [ In reply to ]
Good job! Jim and Philip! :-)

Re: Installation instructions for mythbuntu 16.04.1 [ In reply to ]
A few comments, this isn't my guide so I didn't want to make any changes
myself.

#9 I believe this should be mythbuntu-control-centre not
mythtv-control-center, unless someone has taken over, renamed this project,
and gotten it SRU'd into 16.04.

#11 I'm not sure of the need to recreate the partitions if the UID changed.
This would also be a destructive process to the data on the drives.

#19 While this probably works, I feel like the correct way to do this would
be to use network manager either via the GUI or command line.

#20 I'd say upstart rather than init since this is a ubuntu guide and
upstart was used for 10 years.

#21 Please use "needs tweaked for my configuration" rather than "is broken,
and needs to be fixed"

#29 There isn't a need to run locate prior to running the optimize. You
know where this is already.

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 8:20 AM Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Good job! Jim and Philip! :-)

-Thomas
Re: Installation instructions for mythbuntu 16.04.1 [ In reply to ]
On 12/16/2016 8:20 AM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Good job! Jim and Philip! :-)

I'm still running mythbuntu 14.04 LTS, and have no need to upgrade to
16.04 at this time. There will come a time when I will need to, so I
could use some clarification about the changes to systemd.

I have several HDHomeRun tuners, so I need to make mythtv-backend wait
until they are ready. However, the proposed changes to wait for the
network to be up seem insufficient to me. It is not the network that
mythtv-backend needs to wait for, but the HDHomeRun tuners. The tuners
require an IP address, obtained via DHCP, so it seems that
mythtv-backend really needs to wait for the HDHomeRun tuners to get
their IP addresses, which is hard to determine, or at least until the
DHCP server is running.

I remember on my old 0.21 version, I added an HDHomeRun startup script
that waited until it could access the HDHomeRun tuners, and changed the
mythtv-backend startup order to after that to accomplish the wait. I
have no idea what 14.04 (0.27) is doing here, but moving on to 16.04
(0.28, systemd), seems like something more is needed.

Jay

Re: Installation instructions for mythbuntu 16.04.1 [ In reply to ]
Hoi Jay,

> On 12/16/2016 8:20 AM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>> Good job! Jim and Philip! :-)

> I'm still running mythbuntu 14.04 LTS, and have no need to upgrade to
> 16.04 at this time. There will come a time when I will need to, so I
> could use some clarification about the changes to systemd.

> I have several HDHomeRun tuners, so I need to make mythtv-backend wait
> until they are ready. However, the proposed changes to wait for the
> network to be up seem insufficient to me. It is not the network that
> mythtv-backend needs to wait for, but the HDHomeRun tuners. The tuners
> require an IP address, obtained via DHCP, so it seems that
> mythtv-backend really needs to wait for the HDHomeRun tuners to get
> their IP addresses, which is hard to determine, or at least until the
> DHCP server is running.

> I remember on my old 0.21 version, I added an HDHomeRun startup script
> that waited until it could access the HDHomeRun tuners, and changed the
> mythtv-backend startup order to after that to accomplish the wait. I
> have no idea what 14.04 (0.27) is doing here, but moving on to 16.04
> (0.28, systemd), seems like something more is needed.

> Jay

I have a ping loop in my mythbackend start script:

IsAwake=`ping -q -c1 192.168.223.20 | grep received | cut -f4 -d' '`
while [ "$IsAwake" == "0" ]; do
einfo "Waiting for the HD homerun to apear"
sleep 1
IsAwake=`ping -q -c1 192.168.223.20 | grep received | cut -f4 -d' '`
done

The einfo is I think Gentoo specific, but you can replace it with echo

Re: Installation instructions for mythbuntu 16.04.1 [ In reply to ]
On 12/16/2016 9:02 AM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Hoi Jay,
>
> Friday, December 16, 2016, 5:52:40 PM, you wrote:
>
>> On 12/16/2016 8:20 AM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>>> Good job! Jim and Philip! :-)

>> I'm still running mythbuntu 14.04 LTS, and have no need to upgrade to
>> 16.04 at this time. There will come a time when I will need to, so I
>> could use some clarification about the changes to systemd.
>> I have several HDHomeRun tuners, so I need to make mythtv-backend wait
>> until they are ready. However, the proposed changes to wait for the
>> network to be up seem insufficient to me. It is not the network that
>> mythtv-backend needs to wait for, but the HDHomeRun tuners. The tuners
>> require an IP address, obtained via DHCP, so it seems that
>> mythtv-backend really needs to wait for the HDHomeRun tuners to get
>> their IP addresses, which is hard to determine, or at least until the
>> DHCP server is running.
>> I remember on my old 0.21 version, I added an HDHomeRun startup script
>> that waited until it could access the HDHomeRun tuners, and changed the
>> mythtv-backend startup order to after that to accomplish the wait. I
>> have no idea what 14.04 (0.27) is doing here, but moving on to 16.04
>> (0.28, systemd), seems like something more is needed.
>> Jay
> I have a ping loop in my mythbackend start script:
>
> IsAwake=`ping -q -c1 192.168.223.20 | grep received | cut -f4 -d' '`
> while [ "$IsAwake" == "0" ]; do
> einfo "Waiting for the HD homerun to apear"
> sleep 1
> IsAwake=`ping -q -c1 192.168.223.20 | grep received | cut -f4 -d' '`
> done
>
> The einfo is I think Gentoo specific, but you can replace it with echo
>

> Tot mails,
> Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com
>
> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
> Het eeuwige dilemma
> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>
> De lerende Mens

Yes, I remember doing something like that in my old HDHomeRun init
script (0.21). So if this gets added to the mythtvbackend start script
on 16.04, do you need to make any of the mentioned systemd changes?

Jay
Re: Installation instructions for mythbuntu 16.04.1 [ In reply to ]
Hoi Jay,

> On 12/16/2016 9:02 AM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>> Hoi Jay,
>>
>> Friday, December 16, 2016, 5:52:40 PM, you wrote:

>>> I'm still running mythbuntu 14.04 LTS, and have no need to upgrade to
>>> 16.04 at this time. There will come a time when I will need to, so I
>>> could use some clarification about the changes to systemd.
>>> I have several HDHomeRun tuners, so I need to make mythtv-backend wait
>>> until they are ready. However, the proposed changes to wait for the
>>> network to be up seem insufficient to me. It is not the network that
>>> mythtv-backend needs to wait for, but the HDHomeRun tuners. The tuners
>>> require an IP address, obtained via DHCP, so it seems that
>>> mythtv-backend really needs to wait for the HDHomeRun tuners to get
>>> their IP addresses, which is hard to determine, or at least until the
>>> DHCP server is running.
>>> I remember on my old 0.21 version, I added an HDHomeRun startup script
>>> that waited until it could access the HDHomeRun tuners, and changed the
>>> mythtv-backend startup order to after that to accomplish the wait. I
>>> have no idea what 14.04 (0.27) is doing here, but moving on to 16.04
>>> (0.28, systemd), seems like something more is needed.
>>> Jay
>> I have a ping loop in my mythbackend start script:
>>
>> IsAwake=`ping -q -c1 192.168.223.20 | grep received | cut -f4 -d' '`
>> while [ "$IsAwake" == "0" ]; do
>> einfo "Waiting for the HD homerun to apear"
>> sleep 1
>> IsAwake=`ping -q -c1 192.168.223.20 | grep received | cut -f4 -d' '`
>> done
>>
>> The einfo is I think Gentoo specific, but you can replace it with echo
>>

>> Tot mails,
>> Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com
>>
>> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
>> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
>> Het eeuwige dilemma
>> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>>
>> De lerende Mens
>>

> Yes, I remember doing something like that in my old HDHomeRun init
> script (0.21). So if this gets added to the mythtvbackend start script
> on 16.04, do you need to make any of the mentioned systemd changes?

> Jay

I don't know if you can use it this way with systemd. Me and systemd
do not like each other and I will stay with openrc. Any of the sytemd
gurus has to see if this can be added/adapted to the systemd
'startscript'.
But anyway this approach will implicitly also wait till the network is
fully up as else no ping reply will be received. So the other wait
solutions are no longer needed.
You DO need to give your HD Homerun a static address on your router or
it might change over time!

Re: Installation instructions for mythbuntu 16.04.1 [ In reply to ]
On 12/16/2016 10:02 AM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Hoi Jay,
>
> Friday, December 16, 2016, 6:14:44 PM, you wrote:
>
>> On 12/16/2016 9:02 AM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>>> Hoi Jay,

>>> I have a ping loop in my mythbackend start script:
>>>
>>> IsAwake=`ping -q -c1 192.168.223.20 | grep received | cut -f4 -d' '`
>>> while [ "$IsAwake" == "0" ]; do
>>> einfo "Waiting for the HD homerun to apear"
>>> sleep 1
>>> IsAwake=`ping -q -c1 192.168.223.20 | grep received | cut -f4 -d' '`
>>> done
>>>
>>> The einfo is I think Gentoo specific, but you can replace it with echo
>>>

>>> Tot mails,
>>> Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com
>>>
>>> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
>>> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
>>> Het eeuwige dilemma
>>> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>>>
>>> De lerende Mens
>>>

>> Yes, I remember doing something like that in my old HDHomeRun init
>> script (0.21). So if this gets added to the mythtvbackend start script
>> on 16.04, do you need to make any of the mentioned systemd changes?
>> Jay
> I don't know if you can use it this way with systemd. Me and systemd
> do not like each other and I will stay with openrc. Any of the sytemd
> gurus has to see if this can be added/adapted to the systemd
> 'startscript'.
> But anyway this approach will implicitly also wait till the network is
> fully up as else no ping reply will be received. So the other wait
> solutions are no longer needed.
Yes, this is what I was trying to understand better for the systemd
startup - it is NOT the network that mythtv-backend needs to wait for,
but rather the HDHomeRun tuners, which require more than just the
network (i.e., DHCP server, IP addresses).

> You DO need to give your HD Homerun a static address on your router or
> it might change over time!
The MythTV backend is the DHCP server for the HDHomeRuns and does have
IP address reservations (static addresses) for them. I also have host
names for them defined in /etc/hosts for convenience. My HDHomeRun
tuners are on a dedicated LAN (separate NIC card).

Jay

Re: Installation instructions for mythbuntu 16.04.1 [ In reply to ]
Hoi Jay,

> On 12/16/2016 10:02 AM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>> Hoi Jay,
>>
>> Friday, December 16, 2016, 6:14:44 PM, you wrote:

>>> Yes, I remember doing something like that in my old HDHomeRun init
>>> script (0.21). So if this gets added to the mythtvbackend start script
>>> on 16.04, do you need to make any of the mentioned systemd changes?
>>> Jay
>> I don't know if you can use it this way with systemd. Me and systemd
>> do not like each other and I will stay with openrc. Any of the sytemd
>> gurus has to see if this can be added/adapted to the systemd
>> 'startscript'.
>> But anyway this approach will implicitly also wait till the network is
>> fully up as else no ping reply will be received. So the other wait
>> solutions are no longer needed.
> Yes, this is what I was trying to understand better for the systemd
> startup - it is NOT the network that mythtv-backend needs to wait for,
> but rather the HDHomeRun tuners, which require more than just the
> network (i.e., DHCP server, IP addresses).

Not exactly true. The network needs to be up also as else the backend
will only bind to localhost and won't bind to the external ip address
making it inaccessible for external frontends.

The same might also apply to mysql.

Re: Installation instructions for mythbuntu 16.04.1 [ In reply to ]

>>> Yes, I remember doing something like that in my old HDHomeRun init
>>> script (0.21). So if this gets added to the mythtvbackend start script
>>> on 16.04, do you need to make any of the mentioned systemd changes?
>>> Jay
>> I don't know if you can use it this way with systemd. Me and systemd
>> do not like each other and I will stay with openrc. Any of the sytemd
>> gurus has to see if this can be added/adapted to the systemd
>> 'startscript'.
>> But anyway this approach will implicitly also wait till the network is
>> fully up as else no ping reply will be received. So the other wait
>> solutions are no longer needed.
> Yes, this is what I was trying to understand better for the systemd
> startup - it is NOT the network that mythtv-backend needs to wait for,
> but rather the HDHomeRun tuners, which require more than just the
> network (i.e., DHCP server, IP addresses).
>
>> You DO need to give your HD Homerun a static address on your router or
>> it might change over time!
> The MythTV backend is the DHCP server for the HDHomeRuns and does have
> IP address reservations (static addresses) for them. I also have host
> names for them defined in /etc/hosts for convenience. My HDHomeRun
> tuners are on a dedicated LAN (separate NIC card).

The other week Stephen Worthington Posted this. I used it in part and it certainly helped me and it addresses the problem you have exactly

Ok, because you have network tuners and other frontends, that means
that the default systemd file for mythbackend is broken for you, and
you will need to apply a fix. The HVR-2250, I think, is also a tuner
that has a slow firmware upload, so you will likely need the fix to
make mythbackend wait until the tuners are up before starting. I have
a similar setup on my test MythTV box, so I will list all the fixes
that I remember doing to make 16.04 work properly for this setup.

1) Create a new set of rules for udev that produce systemd events for
the tuners. Create a new file in /etc/udev/rules.d. I have called
mine 99-mythbackend.rules. Put this in it:

#
# Create systemd device units for capture devices
#
SUBSYSTEM=="video4linux", TAG+="systemd"
SUBSYSTEM=="dvb", TAG+="systemd"
SUBSYSTEM=="firewire", TAG+="systemd"

The file should be "chown root:root" and "chmod a=r,u=rw".

2) Create a new directory /etc/systemd/system/mythtv-backend.service.d
where you put an override file for systemd to override some of the
settings from the package installed file
(/lib/systemd/system/mythtv-backend.service) that controls mythbackend
startup and shutdown.

The new mythtv-backend.service.d directory should be "chown root:root"
and "chmod a=rx,u=rwx".

3) Create a new .conf file in the new mythtv-backend.service.d
directory. I have called mine mythtv-backend-override.conf. This is
what I think you will need, presuming that the HVR-2250 creates two
devices on /dev/dvb0 and dev/dvb1:

[Unit]
Wants=dev-dvb-adapter0-frontend0.device
After=dev-dvb-adapter0-frontend0.device
Wants=dev-dvb-adapter1-frontend0.device
After=dev-dvb-adapter1-frontend0.device

After=NetworkManager-wait-online.service

The final After line tells systemd to wait until NetworkManager has
the network fully up and running, instead of just the localhost
interface being up. That allows mythbackend to find the external IP
address it is configured for, otherwise it will immediately shut down
again. It also means that mythbackend will be able to talk to the
HDHR tuners, which it does immediately after startup. If it can not
talk to them then, it will mark them as failed and not try to use them
after that.

The .conf file should be "chown root:root" and "chmod a=r,u=rw".

4) Check if the NetworkManager-wait-online.service is enabled:

systemctl status NetworkManager-wait-online.service

Here is what I get from that command:

root@lith:~# systemctl status NetworkManager-wait-online.service
? NetworkManager-wait-online.service - Network Manager Wait Online
Loaded: loaded
(/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager-wait-online.service; enabled;
vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (exited) since Sun 2016-11-27 17:34:27 NZDT; 10h ago
Docs: man:nm-online(1)
Process: 926 ExecStart=/usr/bin/nm-online -s -q --timeout=30
(code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 926 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
CGroup: /system.slice/NetworkManager-wait-online.service

Nov 27 17:34:11 lith systemd[1]: Starting Network Manager Wait
Online...
Nov 27 17:34:27 lith systemd[1]: Started Network Manager Wait Online.

See the "enabled" on the third line. If that is not present, then you
need to enable the service:

systemctl enable NetworkManager-wait-online.service

I believe it is not enabled by default in new 16.04 installs.

5) Optional. In 16.04, the naming of the Ethernet adapters has
changed to a new scheme. You can just live with that new scheme, and
use the NetworkManager GUI to put your IP address settings and so on
on the adapter. But if you have the settings in the
/etc/network/interfaces file, the old 14.04 settings will fail as they
will have the wrong adapter name. I hate the new names, as I am used
to using eth0, so I always put in config to change the names of my
Ethernet adapters to what I want them to be. Here is what I have for
my test PC, which has three Ethernet ports at the moment:

# Asus P5K-E motherboard
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add",
ATTR{address}=="00:1f:c6:24:64:ce",KERNEL=="enp2s0", NAME="eth0"
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add",
ATTR{address}=="00:07:e9:11:c5:95",KERNEL=="enp6s2", NAME="eth1"
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add",
ATTR{address}=="00:1b:21:25:13:96",KERNEL=="enp4s0", NAME="eth2"

Note that is three lines - each line is long enough to get wrapped in
emails.

That goes in my /etc/udev/rules.d/20-network.rules file, which is
"chown root:root" and "chmod a=r,u=rw".

You get the names and MAC addresses needed for the above from an
ifconfig command.

After doing all that config on a new 16.04 install or upgrade, you
need to reboot to make it work.

If you hate using UUIDs in your fstab files, these days it is now
possible to label the partitions and replace your UUID= IDs with
LABEL= instead. Use gparted to label each partition with a unique
name, then change fstab to match. Here is some of my test PC fstab,
as an example:

#UUID=4cdea8a6-5646-4a7a-8391-a5b1f4ed28c2 / ext4
errors=remount-ro 0 1
LABEL=Ubuntu16.04-2 / ext4
errors=remount-ro 0 1

# swap was on /dev/sdb7 during installation
UUID=e7612859-ea33-4acb-9b70-b674dbc626b2 none swap
sw 0 0

LABEL=data /mnt/data ext4
relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 2

LABEL=gt70-rec1 /mnt/gt70-rec1
jfs relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 2
LABEL=gt70-rec2 /mnt/gt70-rec2
jfs relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 2

The long lines will be wrapped by the email. I have not yet gotten
around to labeling my swap partition, but I think that now even swap
partitions can be identified by label instead of UUID.

Since you do not use SQL, there is no need to change from MySQL to
MariaDB. I have made that change as the MySQL V5.7 installed by 16.04
now uses the editline library for its command line tools, instead of
readline. That makes it difficult to pull up and re-use old SQL
commands, instead of having to re-type them completely.

James