Zonder leven is er geen hoop
Het eeuwige dilemma

De lerende Mens

Re: asus memo pad 7 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 9:26 AM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi All,
>
> I just bought an Asus Memo pad 7. To play around and get to know
> something more about android. I guess I can install a frontend on
> there? Where do I then go?

Personally, I haven't been all that thrilled with any of the Android
frontends. I've preferred to use MobileMyth
(http://www.mobilemyth.net) to access the MythTV content, and MX
Player for actual video playback. For stuff that I plan to watch on
Android, I'll transcode the video in advance, rather than relying on
http live streaming. It's a lot more responsive and easier to seek
within the recording.

Eric
Re: asus memo pad 7 [ In reply to ]
> On 3 Feb 2015, at 1:48 am, mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org wrote:
>
> I just bought an Asus Memo pad 7. To play around and get to know
> something more about android. I guess I can install a frontend on
> there? Where do I then go?

I have found:
The ipad version of myth to be a total failure (I guess the $5 for Robert is a GoodDeed)
No myth versions for my android work
UPnPPlay using VLC to render does work well BUT you cannot seek
I cannot build seek tables except with AVIDEMUX which just works

The restrictions are so severe that I cannot accept that I’m doing the right thing, but no matter how I try I cannot progress. Im using a galaxy tab s

James
Re: asus memo pad 7 [ In reply to ]
> On 3 Feb 2015, at 1:48 am, mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org wrote:
>
>> I just bought an Asus Memo pad 7. To play around and get to know
>> something more about android. I guess I can install a frontend on
>> there? Where do I then go?
>
> Personally, I haven't been all that thrilled with any of the Android
> frontends. I've preferred to use MobileMyth
> (http://www.mobilemyth.net) to access the MythTV content, and MX
> Player for actual video playback. For stuff that I plan to watch on
> Android, I'll transcode the video in advance, rather than relying on
> http live streaming. It's a lot more responsive and easier to seek
> within the recording.

Eric if you see the reply I sent Hika you will see why this is of such interest to me.
If you think it is not relevant to the list then please mail me

A few lines of how you do the transcoding please

James
Re: asus memo pad 7 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 9:02 PM, James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
> Eric if you see the reply I sent Hika you will see why this is of such interest to me.
> If you think it is not relevant to the list then please mail me
>
> A few lines of how you do the transcoding please

I'll attach the scripts that I use.

I have user job 2 configured as:

/usr/local/bin/mythtoandroid.sh %JOBID% %DIR%/%FILE%
"%TITLE%_%STARTTIME%_%SUBTITLE%"

mythvidexport.eric.py is based on Raymond Wagner's mythvidexport.py,
but with some modifications to allow inserting the transcoded file
into mythvideo without copying it again. At the time I set this up, I
had a Samsung Galaxy S3 I was using for playback, and these transcoded
files will play well on a device of that class. If you watch the
video on a big screen, there is some visible degradation in quality
compared with the original, but it's not too bad and I really couldn't
tell much difference on a 4" screen. You can bump the bit rates and
resolution up or down to suit your tastes and devices.

Eric
Re: asus memo pad 7 [ In reply to ]
Well you guys had forgotten the best front end for mythtv kodi.
Re: asus memo pad 7 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 11:49 PM, jacek burghardt
<jaceksburghardt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well you guys had forgotten the best front end for mythtv kodi.

Using the mythbox add-on? I gave it a whirl and it just exits with an
error about not being able to find usable scratch space in /tmp,
/var/tmp, or /usr/tmp.

Eric
Re: asus memo pad 7 [ In reply to ]
On 2/3/2015 2:11 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 11:49 PM, jacek burghardt
> <jaceksburghardt@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Well you guys had forgotten the best front end for mythtv kodi.
>
> Using the mythbox add-on? I gave it a whirl and it just exits with an
> error about not being able to find usable scratch space in /tmp,
> /var/tmp, or /usr/tmp.

No, that's out of date. Get the new add-on from the PVR category in the
add-ons menu, or try the new services-based version:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=198833

Kodi does indeed work well as a frontend, but the problem with using it
on a tablet is decoding support. Unless your device has hardware
decoding available in Kodi you'll have a tough time playing back HD
recordings, especially 1080i, and there's no support for on-the-fly
transcoding like there is with Plex or the Myth android app (at least
that I know of in the standard PVR interface).

Re: asus memo pad 7 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 3:36 PM, John Marshall <mythtv@marshallparty.org> wrote:
> On 2/3/2015 2:11 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 11:49 PM, jacek burghardt
>> <jaceksburghardt@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Well you guys had forgotten the best front end for mythtv kodi.
>>

>> Using the mythbox add-on? I gave it a whirl and it just exits with an
>> error about not being able to find usable scratch space in /tmp,
>> /var/tmp, or /usr/tmp.
>

> No, that's out of date. Get the new add-on from the PVR category in the
> add-ons menu,

Hmm, I can't even find the PVR category in the add-ons menu. Are you
running a development build or something?

Eric
Re: asus memo pad 7 [ In reply to ]
On 2/3/2015 2:47 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 3:36 PM, John Marshall <mythtv@marshallparty.org> wrote:
>> No, that's out of date. Get the new add-on from the PVR category in the
>> add-ons menu,
>
> Hmm, I can't even find the PVR category in the add-ons menu. Are you
> running a development build or something?

I'd have to look at home to be sure, but from the System->Add-ons menu
there should be that category. You might have to go into Disabled
Add-ons to find it, then enable it. This should be the same with Gotham
or Helix - standard version. You can also just try to enable Live TV in
the system menu and it might complain that you don't have an add-on and
take you right to the list.

http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR/Backend/MythTV#Connecting_XBMC_to_MythTV
Re: asus memo pad 7 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 3:54 PM, John Marshall <mythtv@marshallparty.org> wrote:
> On 2/3/2015 2:47 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 3:36 PM, John Marshall <mythtv@marshallparty.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> No, that's out of date. Get the new add-on from the PVR category in the
>>> add-ons menu,
>>

>> Hmm, I can't even find the PVR category in the add-ons menu. Are you
>> running a development build or something?
>
> You might have to go into Disabled Add-ons to find it

Ah, yes. There it is.

Eric
Re: asus memo pad 7 [ In reply to ]
I feel really bad after my first experience with whatever...
I have to apply for whatever, I don't get to really try whatever.
I do want to test android, but I'm blocked out!

Re: asus memo pad 7 [ In reply to ]
Hoi Janusz,

Sunday, February 8, 2015, 7:07:30 AM, you wrote:

> Intentionally writing off the list.

> Quote/Cytat - Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh@gmail.com> (Sun 08 Feb 2015
> 06:59:50 AM CET):

>> I feel really bad after my first experience with whatever...
>> I have to apply for whatever, I don't get to really try whatever.
>> I do want to test android, but I'm blocked out!

> What do you mean?

> I'm also quite new to Android, bought Zenfone 5 a month ago. None of
> the MythTV frontend can connect to the server, but I don't have time
> to check my server configuration.

> Moreover I don't have now time to watch TV, so I'm missing
> motivation... However a brute force approach of copying recordings to
> the smartfone and playing them there works.

> Best regards

> Janusz

Thanks for reacting.

I got frustrated by the clossed thinking of the developers.
'You can get the latest if you apply!
'I do want to test, but I will never apply!
So let then do their own thing!

Tot mails,
Hika Alina Maria van den Hoven mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop
Het eeuwige dilemma

De lerende Mens

Re: asus memo pad 7 [ In reply to ]
Hoi Hika,

Sunday, February 8, 2015, 7:31:39 AM, you wrote:

> Hoi Janusz,

> Sunday, February 8, 2015, 7:07:30 AM, you wrote:

>> Intentionally writing off the list.

>> Quote/Cytat - Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh@gmail.com> (Sun 08 Feb 2015
>> 06:59:50 AM CET):

>>> I feel really bad after my first experience with whatever...
>>> I have to apply for whatever, I don't get to really try whatever.
>>> I do want to test android, but I'm blocked out!

>> What do you mean?

>> I'm also quite new to Android, bought Zenfone 5 a month ago. None of
>> the MythTV frontend can connect to the server, but I don't have time
>> to check my server configuration.

>> Moreover I don't have now time to watch TV, so I'm missing
>> motivation... However a brute force approach of copying recordings to
>> the smartfone and playing them there works.

>> Best regards

>> Janusz

> Thanks for reacting.

> I got frustrated by the clossed thinking of the developers.
> 'You can get the latest if you apply!
> 'I do want to test, but I will never apply!
> So let then do their own thing!

Forcing is to me the same level as puting adds in their.

No thank you!

Tot mails,
Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com

Re: asus memo pad 7 [ In reply to ]
On 3 February 2015 at 01:09, Eric Sharkey <eric@lisaneric.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 9:26 AM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hoi All,
>>
>> I just bought an Asus Memo pad 7. To play around and get to know
>> something more about android. I guess I can install a frontend on
>> there? Where do I then go?
>
> Personally, I haven't been all that thrilled with any of the Android
> frontends. I've preferred to use MobileMyth
> (http://www.mobilemyth.net) to access the MythTV content, and MX
> Player for actual video playback. For stuff that I plan to watch on
> Android, I'll transcode the video in advance, rather than relying on
> http live streaming. It's a lot more responsive and easier to seek
> within the recording.
>
> Eric

I've tackled the Android/IOS devices kind of differently.
I have Plex Media Center installed on my mythtv server. It serves
content out that is not in mythtv and does an amazing job of it. But
you can also load a MythTV channel/plugin and share out your MythTV
recordings through Plex as well. It will list recording by title,
category, recording group, channel and recording date. It pulls the
info from the database.

The nice thing about it (besides streaming working very well) is that
you can sync your content. Plex will transcode it to your desired
quality setting and download it to your device for offline viewing.
Re: asus memo pad 7 [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Feb 8, 2015 at 1:31 AM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh@gmail.com> wrote:
> I got frustrated by the clossed thinking of the developers.
> 'You can get the latest if you apply!
> 'I do want to test, but I will never apply!
> So let then do their own thing!

Are you talking about Daniel Frey's android app?

I can't speak for him and I don't pretend to understand why he's
chosen the methods he's using, but this is the nature of free
software. Each developer can choose a license he or she feels is
appropriate and distribute the work as widely or narrowly as desired.
Personally, I think free software works best with a release early,
release often, release widely model, but not everyone agrees with me.
If you don't want to apply to be a tester, just ignore it and move on
to something else. That one app is not the only method for accessing
MythTV content from an Android device. Have you tried Mobile Myth?

Eric
Re: asus memo pad 7 [ In reply to ]
On Tue Feb 10 2015 at 9:52:46 AM Eric Sharkey <eric@lisaneric.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 8, 2015 at 1:31 AM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I got frustrated by the clossed thinking of the developers.
> > 'You can get the latest if you apply!
> > 'I do want to test, but I will never apply!
> > So let then do their own thing!
>
> Are you talking about Daniel Frey's android app?
>
> I can't speak for him and I don't pretend to understand why he's
> chosen the methods he's using, but this is the nature of free
> software. Each developer can choose a license he or she feels is
> appropriate and distribute the work as widely or narrowly as desired.
> Personally, I think free software works best with a release early,
> release often, release widely model, but not everyone agrees with me.
> If you don't want to apply to be a tester, just ignore it and move on
> to something else. That one app is not the only method for accessing
> MythTV content from an Android device. Have you tried Mobile Myth?
>
> Eric

The App is currently under a pretty significant rewrite. I posted in the
beta test channel on g+ :
https://plus.google.com/102972850447727031786/posts/XEfZuxdKRDv

It is currently allows you to watch recordings and most videos that can be
converted with HLS. You can also trigger a HLS transcode from port 6544 in
the browser and it will get picked up by the app for playback.

I am not quite ready to put out an official APK at this point. But you
would like to try it out, you can setup Android Studio, grab the code from
github and let me know what is working and what is not working.

https://github.com/MythTV-Clients/MythtvPlayerForAndroid

Here is a development apk on google drive. Access should be public. If
you are interested in side loading it, grab it from here. However, I will
not be maintaining this link on an ongoing basis.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4KM23cDPRz_TFpUc0lnVW9IOEE/view?usp=sharing

If you have any questions or issues, please post them to the github issues
repository. Screens are still under pretty active development and I need
to build a directory browser for the videos. I have also found that HLS
does not work for my mkv files on my backend. Not sure what is going on
there, but something on the backend isn't producing playable HLS streams,
even though the .ts files appear to be valid.

This isn't an official release by any means, but if you are interested in
trying it out, i would appreciate your feedback.

Dan
Re: asus memo pad 7 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2015-02-10 at 15:15 +0000, Daniel Frey wrote:

> It is currently allows you to watch recordings and most videos that can be
> converted with HLS.

So is HLS transcoding a requirement now? What if I am in the same
network as the MythTV BE (or have enough upstream bandwidth on my
Internet connection) and have enough bandwidth to stream the native
MPEG2 stream?

The old/existing app gave one the choice to use the native encoding or
to HLS transcode and the former didn't tax my modestly powered (i.e. not
beefy enough for live transcoding) BE with needless transcoding.

Cheers,
b.
Re: asus memo pad 7 [ In reply to ]
Hoi Daniel,

> On Tue Feb 10 2015 at 9:52:46 AM Eric Sharkey <eric@lisaneric.org> wrote:

>> On Sun, Feb 8, 2015 at 1:31 AM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I got frustrated by the clossed thinking of the developers.
>> > 'You can get the latest if you apply!
>> > 'I do want to test, but I will never apply!
>> > So let then do their own thing!
>>
>> Are you talking about Daniel Frey's android app?
>>
>> I can't speak for him and I don't pretend to understand why he's
>> chosen the methods he's using, but this is the nature of free
>> software. Each developer can choose a license he or she feels is
>> appropriate and distribute the work as widely or narrowly as desired.
>> Personally, I think free software works best with a release early,
>> release often, release widely model, but not everyone agrees with me.
>> If you don't want to apply to be a tester, just ignore it and move on
>> to something else. That one app is not the only method for accessing
>> MythTV content from an Android device. Have you tried Mobile Myth?
>>
>> Eric

> The App is currently under a pretty significant rewrite. I posted in the
> beta test channel on g+ :
> https://plus.google.com/102972850447727031786/posts/XEfZuxdKRDv

> It is currently allows you to watch recordings and most videos that can be
> converted with HLS. You can also trigger a HLS transcode from port 6544 in
> the browser and it will get picked up by the app for playback.

> I am not quite ready to put out an official APK at this point. But you
> would like to try it out, you can setup Android Studio, grab the code from
> github and let me know what is working and what is not working.

> https://github.com/MythTV-Clients/MythtvPlayerForAndroid

> Here is a development apk on google drive. Access should be public. If
> you are interested in side loading it, grab it from here. However, I will
> not be maintaining this link on an ongoing basis.

> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4KM23cDPRz_TFpUc0lnVW9IOEE/view?usp=sharing

> If you have any questions or issues, please post them to the github issues
> repository. Screens are still under pretty active development and I need
> to build a directory browser for the videos. I have also found that HLS
> does not work for my mkv files on my backend. Not sure what is going on
> there, but something on the backend isn't producing playable HLS streams,
> even though the .ts files appear to be valid.

> This isn't an official release by any means, but if you are interested in
> trying it out, i would appreciate your feedback.

> Dan

Thanks for the link! I'll try it.

What I can tell for now with the present version:
Recording rules crashes immediately, but continues endlessly trying to
download!? I haven't yet found how to let it stop.
It won't find my backend, but if I fill in the address it works. Other
programs don't have a problem finding it.
Indeed the browser needs some more configurability. In the menu I see
only delete, which I now find a bit to easily clicked by accident!
Also the episode sorting seems a bit random. Not on recording time,
s/e numbering or alphabetically? Also it would be nice if s/e would be
shown.
In upcoming and guide I would like the color coding a bit more
prominent.

Re: asus memo pad 7 [ In reply to ]
Hoi Brian,

> On Tue, 2015-02-10 at 15:15 +0000, Daniel Frey wrote:
>>
>> It is currently allows you to watch recordings and most videos that can be
>> converted with HLS.

> So is HLS transcoding a requirement now? What if I am in the same
> network as the MythTV BE (or have enough upstream bandwidth on my
> Internet connection) and have enough bandwidth to stream the native
> MPEG2 stream?

No you can choose, but with wifi normal playing doesn't really work.

Re: asus memo pad 7 [ In reply to ]
On Tue Feb 10 2015 at 10:45:50 AM Brian J. Murrell <brian@interlinx.bc.ca>
wrote:

> On Tue, 2015-02-10 at 15:15 +0000, Daniel Frey wrote:
> >
> > It is currently allows you to watch recordings and most videos that can
> be
> > converted with HLS.
>
> So is HLS transcoding a requirement now? What if I am in the same
> network as the MythTV BE (or have enough upstream bandwidth on my
> Internet connection) and have enough bandwidth to stream the native
> MPEG2 stream?
>
> The old/existing app gave one the choice to use the native encoding or
> to HLS transcode and the former didn't tax my modestly powered (i.e. not
> beefy enough for live transcoding) BE with needless transcoding.
>
> Cheers,
> b.

Brian,

Unfortunately, the Android native MediaPlayer api does not support mpeg2
playback. I don't want this version of the app to rely on any external
player dependencies. We had far too many issues with the prior one with
one device this player worked, and on another that player works, but it
didn't work on the first device, etc.

I do feel this will prove to be a better ui experience for the users. You
can always queue the HLS in the app or do it from the backend. It only
requires it to be 2% complete before you can start watching. This method
also will work nicely over the internet (if exposed) or an ssh tunnel with
port forwards into your backend.

Also, Bill Meek has a working patch for mythtranscode that will allow it to
--honorcutlist if you are interested in doing HLS transcodes without
commercials. But it is a patch and you have to be running your backend
from source.

Dan
Re: asus memo pad 7 [ In reply to ]
Hoi Hika,

> Hoi Brian,

> Tuesday, February 10, 2015, 4:43:20 PM, you wrote:

>> On Tue, 2015-02-10 at 15:15 +0000, Daniel Frey wrote:
>>>
>>> It is currently allows you to watch recordings and most videos that can be
>>> converted with HLS.

>> So is HLS transcoding a requirement now? What if I am in the same
>> network as the MythTV BE (or have enough upstream bandwidth on my
>> Internet connection) and have enough bandwidth to stream the native
>> MPEG2 stream?

> No you can choose, but with wifi normal playing doesn't really work.

>> The old/existing app gave one the choice to use the native encoding or
>> to HLS transcode and the former didn't tax my modestly powered (i.e. not
>> beefy enough for live transcoding) BE with needless transcoding.

>> Cheers,
>> b.

These are definitively two different projects. The one I was speaking
about was mythtv android frontend.
The mythtv player I just got through Daniels link, does connect and I
can see the recordings and movies list, but if I try to play it crashes
immediately.

Re: asus memo pad 7 [ In reply to ]
On 02/10/2015 09:55 AM, Daniel Frey wrote:
> Also, Bill Meek has a working patch for mythtranscode that will allow it to
> --honorcutlist if you are interested in doing HLS transcodes without
> commercials. But it is a patch and you have to be running your backend
> from source.
>
> Dan

Here's the patch:

diff --git a/mythtv/libs/libmythtv/HLS/httplivestream.cpp b/mythtv/libs/libmythtv/HLS/httplivestream.cpp
index 12e99fe..04a3617 100644
--- a/mythtv/libs/libmythtv/HLS/httplivestream.cpp
+++ b/mythtv/libs/libmythtv/HLS/httplivestream.cpp
@@ -76,7 +76,7 @@ class HTTPLiveStreamThread : public QRunnable
uint flags = kMSDontBlockInputDevs;

QString command = GetAppBinDir() +
- QString("mythtranscode --hls --hlsstreamid %1")
+ QString("mythtranscode --hls --hlsstreamid %1 --honorcutlist")
.arg(m_streamID) + logPropagateArgs;

uint result = myth_system(command, flags);

The above didn't work long ago (I think I tried it in 0.26 but not in 0.27.)
And all my source material is in .mpg files. The old result was hundreds of
0 byte *.ts files and one with the original content size.

--
Bill
Re: asus memo pad 7 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 3:43 PM, Brian J. Murrell <brian@interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> So is HLS transcoding a requirement now? What if I am in the same
> network as the MythTV BE (or have enough upstream bandwidth on my
> Internet connection) and have enough bandwidth to stream the native
> MPEG2 stream?

In my experience, there are few devices (manufacturers)
that have chosen to license and enable hardware MPEG2
decoding. While the latest and greatest devices might
have the CPU power to (mostly) decode MPEG2 in software,
anything other than SD is usually unwatchable. As H.264
decoding is universally enabled in hardware (although older
devices may be limited to specific profiles), a stream in
that format is the only one that is likely to be acceptable
to most, regardless of the transport (HLS, or DASH, or
something else). If you have a device that has licensed
and enable the MPEG2 decoder in hardware (or have
the latest snapdragon 810 chip), count yourself among
the very special few.

How one gets to H.264, of course, is different than the
transport. Some transcode early and often, and some
MSOs are moving to H.264 content (Comcast is in
trials, and once the more important issues are resolved,
I can envision them rolling it out in 12-18 months),
although the US FCC ATSC requirements insure
MPEG2 is going to be around for quite some time.

It should be noted that while enabling it and using it
is still just a thought, the last few gen Intel CPUs
can do real-time transcoding of a stream in their VPU.
nVidia (nvenc) and AMD (vec) have equivalents. Yes,
some may need to actually upgrade either their system
to get reasonable results. Such things happen.
Re: asus memo pad 7 [ In reply to ]
On Tue Feb 10 2015 at 11:26:33 AM Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 3:43 PM, Brian J. Murrell <brian@interlinx.bc.ca>
> > So is HLS transcoding a requirement now? What if I am in the same
> > network as the MythTV BE (or have enough upstream bandwidth on my
> > Internet connection) and have enough bandwidth to stream the native
> > MPEG2 stream?
>
> In my experience, there are few devices (manufacturers)
> that have chosen to license and enable hardware MPEG2
> decoding. While the latest and greatest devices might
> have the CPU power to (mostly) decode MPEG2 in software,
> anything other than SD is usually unwatchable. As H.264
> decoding is universally enabled in hardware (although older
> devices may be limited to specific profiles), a stream in
> that format is the only one that is likely to be acceptable
> to most, regardless of the transport (HLS, or DASH, or
> something else). If you have a device that has licensed
> and enable the MPEG2 decoder in hardware (or have
> the latest snapdragon 810 chip), count yourself among
> the very special few.
>
> How one gets to H.264, of course, is different than the
> transport. Some transcode early and often, and some
> MSOs are moving to H.264 content (Comcast is in
> trials, and once the more important issues are resolved,
> I can envision them rolling it out in 12-18 months),
> although the US FCC ATSC requirements insure
> MPEG2 is going to be around for quite some time.
>
> It should be noted that while enabling it and using it
> is still just a thought, the last few gen Intel CPUs
> can do real-time transcoding of a stream in their VPU.
> nVidia (nvenc) and AMD (vec) have equivalents. Yes,
> some may need to actually upgrade either their system
> to get reasonable results. Such things happen.

Hika,
Mythtv Android Frontend has been sunsetted at this point. No further work
will take place on that codebase.

The new Mythtv Player has a much smaller focus than attempting to be a full
fledged Mythtv Frontend.

Here is a short list of the goals for the project:
* Recording Playback with no dependencies on external players
* Video Playback with no dependencies on external players
* Chromecast Support
* Leanback interface for Android TV
* HLS Live Streams can be initiated in the app or through mythweb and
playable in the app.

We are focusing just on playback of Recordings and Videos at this time for
both Android Phones/Tablets and Android TV. We will then be adding
chromecast support.

What device were you testing on when it crashed? If you like, start an
Issue over in the github repository:
https://github.com/MythTV-Clients/MythtvPlayerForAndroid/issues

Bill,
Maybe we should setup a wiki entry out there for anyone wanting to setup
Android Studio so that they can run it right from source and capture and
LogCat exception stacktraces for us to diagnose.

I can also look at integrating Crashlytics into the app so that we can let
the app itself just report the exceptions so that we can review/triage at a
later time.

https://try.crashlytics.com/

I use it on another app and works pretty well at reporting stacktraces when
the app crashes.

Dan

1 2 3  View All