Mailing List Archive

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  View All
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 1:14 PM, Karl Newman <newmank1@asme.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 9:46 AM, R. G. Newbury <newbury@mandamus.org> wrote:
>>
>> Whichever way you choose to move, you WILL have to choose.
>

> I think most of us are waiting on some official word from the mythtv
> developers--who have been strangely silent about this topic on this list--as
> to which direction they are heading and if there are any official patches in
> the works to deal with this change.
>
> Karl

Absolutely. Even though I'm a programmer and probably among the more
technical MythTV users, I think I speak for many here when I say that
the descriptions so far around using the new JSON grabber and how it
all actually relates to MythTV itself has me completely dumbfounded.
There hasn't even been a clear consensus on whether or not it means
blowing away and rescanning all your sources and channels etc which
frankly still makes no sense to me.

Maybe someone can clarify something about the other...the DD
replacement grabber: As I mentioned earlier in the thread, it appears
that the MythTV code is using http://schedulesdirect.org to log in and
get the lineups?...and then using the new server (by way of the host
file changes) to get the actual listing data? Unless I'm missing
something, that's what it appears the code is doing, and
schedulesdirect.org itself would obviously not be affected by that
host file change. I just wanted to be a little more clear as to
what's happening there.

Tom
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On 02/10/14 01:11 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 4:46 PM, R. G. Newbury <newbury@mandamus.org> wrote:
>> That was probably a comment made by me. I have a particular problem with
>> Rogers Cable internet services. After a period without activity, DNS
>> services seem to suspend/go to sleep. Any activity which needed DNS would
>> silently fail to complete. -> no mythfilldatabase results!
>
> That seems strange. But I have heard of other interesting things
> some Canadian ISPs do, so I guess I should not be surprised.
> Is this possibly a subscriber AAA, or CG-NAT issue with Rogers
> infrastructure

No idea. The cable continues to work, and the 'home phone' voip service
continue to work, but certain internet services fail....

(and do you care if you have a working bypass)?

NOPE!

--
R. Geoffrey Newbury

Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On 10/2/2014 10:57 AM, Jay Foster wrote:
> 2014-10-02 08:49:53.992 Grabbing listing data
> 2014-10-02 08:49:53.993 DataDirect: Saving listings to DD cache
> --2014-10-02 08:49:53-- http://webservices.schedulesdirect.tmsdatadirect.com/schedulesdirect/tvlistings/xtvdService
> Resolving webservices.schedulesdirect.tmsdatadirect.com... 54.84.32.205
> Connecting to webservices.schedulesdirect.tmsdatadirect.com|54.84.32.205|:80... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 401 Authorization Required
> Reusing existing connection to webservices.schedulesdirect.tmsdatadirect.com:80.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 400 NO POSTDATA
> 2014-10-02 08:49:54 ERROR 400: NO POSTDATA.
>
> 2014-10-02 08:49:54.523 DataDirect, Error: Failed to save DD cache! redownloading data...

Very strange... that's because there's no data in your request! If it's still doing it, please capture a network trace or contact me via email and we
can work out a time for interactive testing. You can also find me on freenode and other places of IM. :)

(BTW, I saw the same thing in our logs in data coming from you)

Robert
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On 10/2/2014 11:16 AM, Jon Heizer wrote:
> Just another data point: I just gave it a try and it worked as expected. I only got about 6 days of data but that already discussed.

I just confirmed I have 15 days of data, for most stations (through 10/15 23:00 UTC). I have no idea why you only got 6.

Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On 10/2/2014 8:29 AM, Robert Eden wrote:
> On 10/2/2014 3:19 AM, Kris Jensen wrote:
>> Added the change to my hosts file. Did a mythfilldatabase. So far
>> so good.
>>
>> way too easy.
>>
> Thanks!
>
> One issue with MythTV that has come up is the known (and documented)
> issue of the relevance value for genre.
>
> MythWeb uses the "zero" value for color coding the entry. Replacement
> DD starts with one and is random (relevance value not relevant) If
> you convert ones to zero, the color coding is random. I guess
> starting with one makes it better for MythTV so the colors aren't
> random, just the same.
>
> Again, this is a known (and documented) deficiency of the current
> replacement DD service. I don't consider this a show-stopper. My
> initial goal is to provide a service "good enough" for when TMS
> DataDirect goes away. JSON is of course available (and more
> developed).
>
> Robert

One concern I have with the JSON service is that sd-utility.php changes the mythtv database schema. In particular, it changes the credits table adding to the valid enums for the role column. Now maybe this is a change that mythtv 0.28 will adopt, but will database upgrades fail for those of us who use sd-utility.php on our production 0.27 or earlier systems, and then try to upgrade to 0.28 or later in the future?

Regards,
Helen
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 12:30 PM, Daryl McDonald <darylangela@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 12:16 PM, Jon Heizer <jheizer@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 10:57 AM, Jay Foster <jayf0ster@roadrunner.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 10/1/2014 11:56 AM, Robert Eden wrote:
>>> If you can't modify your code, you (and your users) can add this to your
>>> hosts file.
>>>
>>> 54.84.32.205 docs.tms.tribune.com
>>> webservices.schedulesdirect.tmsdatadirect.com
>
> apologies for being so dense, here is my hosts file:
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> 127.0.1.1 daryl-A780L3C

> ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
> fe00::0 ip6-localnet
> ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
> ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
> ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
>
> the 54.84.32.205 goes where?

Anywhere, but you need to add the whole line, not just the IP address.

54.84.32.205 docs.tms.tribune.com webservices.schedulesdirect.tmsdatadirect.com

Eric
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 1:03 PM, faginbagin <mythtv@hbuus.com> wrote:
> One concern I have with the JSON service is that sd-utility.php changes the mythtv database schema. In particular, it changes the credits table adding to the valid enums for the role column. Now maybe this is a change that mythtv 0.28 will adopt, but will database upgrades fail for those of us who use sd-utility.php on our production 0.27 or earlier systems, and then try to upgrade to 0.28 or later in the future?

I'm going to stop making the change to the role table in a soonish
commit, and will set it back to what it was for users that are already
running the grabber. There are many many more "role" types available
in the new data, so at some point a change to a varchar(64) is
probably going to be simpler to avoid having to recompile code
everytime a new role type comes around. Not that there are 1000's of
roles, but there are a lot more than what's in the enum now.
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 1:24 PM, Robert Kulagowski <rkulagow@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 1:03 PM, faginbagin <mythtv@hbuus.com> wrote:
>> One concern I have with the JSON service is that sd-utility.php changes the mythtv database schema. In particular, it changes the credits table adding to the valid enums for the role column. Now maybe this is a change that mythtv 0.28 will adopt, but will database upgrades fail for those of us who use sd-utility.php on our production 0.27 or earlier systems, and then try to upgrade to 0.28 or later in the future?
>
> I'm going to stop making the change to the role table in a soonish
> commit, and will set it back to what it was for users that are already
> running the grabber. There are many many more "role" types available
> in the new data, so at some point a change to a varchar(64) is
> probably going to be simpler to avoid having to recompile code
> everytime a new role type comes around. Not that there are 1000's of
> roles, but there are a lot more than what's in the enum now.

This is now implemented in v0.15; if you run the sd-utility program
again it will set the credits table back to what it was.

Also, it appears that there are 368 different roles in the JSON data right now.
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 12:54 PM, Robert Eden <rmeden@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 10/2/2014 11:16 AM, Jon Heizer wrote:
>
>> Just another data point: I just gave it a try and it worked as expected.
>> I only got about 6 days of data but that already discussed.
>>

> I just confirmed I have 15 days of data, for most stations (through 10/15
> 23:00 UTC). I have no idea why you only got 6.
>

> _____________

I didn't look in detail, but after 6 days I went from 5-10 recordings per
day to around 2. I can try again later and report back.

Just a heads up I (and maybe otherss) keep missing your emails as gmail is
marking you as spam, I assume you are not using yahoo's smtp and it is
making them mad.

Jon
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 9:11 PM, Robert Kulagowski <rkulagow@gmail.com> wrote:
> Also, it appears that there are 368 different roles in the JSON data right now.

Have you been working with the xmltv people to get these
additional roles (called credits in xmltv) officially into the
formal specifications (while SD need not be limited to
the XMLTV DTD, it is the way to get everyone to move
forward, and is more likely to get MythTV and other
open source projects to properly recognize and support
them). I will admit that I only occasionally peruse the
xmltv mailling list, so I may have missed your request.

Just for reference, here is the current part of the dtd.

<!ELEMENT credits (director*, actor*, writer*, adapter*, producer*,
composer*, editor*, presenter*, commentator*,
guest* )>
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
<OT>

On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 9:28 PM, Jon Heizer <jheizer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 12:54 PM, Robert Eden <rmeden@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> I just confirmed
> Just a heads up I (and maybe otherss) keep missing your emails as gmail is
> marking you as spam, I assume you are not using yahoo's smtp and it is
> making them mad.

Probably Yahoo DMARC breakage (it started in April
of this year). Email list software has to be modified to
"improve" the headers to allow yahoo sources to
participate (which breaks certain RFC compliance).

Here is a reference:
http://www.spamresource.com/2014/04/run-email-discussion-list-heres-how-to.html

I have not looked at the headers, but I presume what is
needed is for the mailing list software being run by
mythtv.org to apply one of the fixups (or, just ignore
all the yahoo users email).

</OT>
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 5:13 PM, Robert Eden <rmeden@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 10/1/2014 3:50 PM, Tom Dexter wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 3:14 PM, Bryan Anderson <shadow431@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I just added to my hosts and ran mythfilldatabase. Everything looks good
>>> so
>>> far, I will check my schedule this evening, but based on cli output looks
>>> good on my box.
>>>
>>> Bryan
>>>
>>> -Bryan Anderson
>>>
>> Interesting...thanks for the update. the other day I started looking
>> at the 0.27.3-fixes MythTV code around the schedules direct stuff, and
>> one part threw me off...though I haven't looked into it in detail:
>>
>> In the file mythtv/libs/libmythtv/datadirect.cpp I see this:
>>
>> DataDirectURLs urls1(
>> "Schedules Direct",
>> "http://webservices.schedulesdirect.tmsdatadirect.com"
>> "/schedulesdirect/tvlistings/xtvdService",
>> "http://schedulesdirect.org",
>> "/login/index.php");
>>
>> What didn't add to be where those last two entries, which appear to
>> get used in DataDirectProcessor::GrabLoginCookiesAndLineups to log in
>> and get a login cookie. Given that the hosts file change wouldn't
>> affect schedulesdirect.org itself, that didn't make sense. That is,
>> that the new server could use a cookie from a login on the the live
>> shedulesdirect.org server. Maybe something there isn't being used as
>> I'm assuming...like I said I hadn't looked into it in detail.
>
> I suspect the last two entries are simply used by the GUI to direct folks to
> the SD web site. It's not used to obtain guide data. I'd like hostname in
> the second URL changed to dd.schedulesdirect.org at some point. (so host
> file changes aren't needed).
>
> Robert

By the way...I never saw this until others pointed out that your
emails are being marked as spam in Gmail. Just found this and all
your other emails to this thread in the spam folder.

Looking closer I think those ULRs and the method that uses them to log
in and get lineups etc
(DataDirectProcessor::GrabLoginCookiesAndLineups) is used in
DataDirectStationUpdate, which appears to be used only with the
mythfilldatabase --only-update-channels option and nothing else, as
far as I can see.

Thanks for the reply!
Tom
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
> On 3 Oct 2014, at 2:17 am, "R. G. Newbury" <newbury@mandamus.org> wrote:

> Just to make one point especially clear on this thread:
>
> There are TWO different substitute services.
>
> Robert Kulagowski's MFDB-JSON replacement uses a different Gracenote data source than the present DataDirect service. The data source has more data (Series and Episode numbers! internal fan-art etc) about the shows and covers a large chunk of the world.

How large is 'large chunk of the world'? Non English language?

Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 6:24 PM, Mark Perkins <perkins1724@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Robert Kulagowski's MFDB-JSON replacement uses a different Gracenote data source than the present DataDirect service. The data source has more data (Series and Episode numbers! internal fan-art etc) about the shows and covers a large chunk of the world.
>
> How large is 'large chunk of the world'? Non English language?

Right now we have:

Region:North America
United States
Canada
Mexico

Region:Europe
Denmark
Finland
Great Britain
Sweden

Region:Latin America
Argentina
Belize
Brazil
Chile
Columbia
Costa Rica
Ecuador
Guatemala
Guyana
Honduras
Panama
Peru
Uruguay
Venezuela

Region:Caribbean
Anguila
Antigua/Barbuda
Aruba
Bahamas
Barbados
Bermuda
Bonaire, Saba, St. Eustatius
British Virgin Islands
Cayman Islands
Curacao
Dominica
Dominican Republic
Grenada
Jamaica
Puerto Rico
Saint Martin
Saint Vincent / Grenadines
St. Kitts and Nevis
St. Lucia
Trinidad and Tobago
Turks and Caicos
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 11:24 PM, Mark Perkins <perkins1724@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> On 3 Oct 2014, at 2:17 am, "R. G. Newbury" <newbury@mandamus.org> wrote:
>> Robert Kulagowski's MFDB-JSON replacement uses a different Gracenote data source than the present DataDirect service. The data source has more data (Series and Episode numbers! internal fan-art etc) about the shows and covers a large chunk of the world.
>
> How large is 'large chunk of the world'? Non English language?

I believe Gracenote (the company, not just the TV schedule
business) has intention to (try to) take over the world (and even
be in your automobile). As with all else, some countries
content are going to be a bigger challenge than others. Integration
of all their recently purchased properties will no doubt take some
time, but they want one service to rule them all (of course,
there are competitors in certain markets, but Tribune has
been on a buying spree. If I recall correctly, they just
purchased an Austrialian provider of schedules/metadata,
and purchased an Indian provider a few months ago).
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
Ok, I "installed" the mfdb from git and followed the instructions.

So far everything seems to be OK. I didn't have to re-setup my inputs they
were automagically moved over to the new service and it LOOKS like all my
recording schedules are OK but I have a couple of nits:

1. These new lineups don't seem to show up on the SD customer site? I used
that to disable channels on my Comcast lineup that I can't tune (DRM flag).

2. It downloaded a bunch of channel icons but they don't seem to be showing
up in mythfrontend.

Thanks,
Richard
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 7:31 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote:
> So far everything seems to be OK. I didn't have to re-setup my inputs they
> were automagically moved over to the new service and it LOOKS like all my
> recording schedules are OK but I have a couple of nits:
>
> 1. These new lineups don't seem to show up on the SD customer site? I used
> that to disable channels on my Comcast lineup that I can't tune (DRM flag).

Different servers, so they don't show up.

If you don't want a channel, then don't download it. The way this
happens in MythTV is by unsetting the "visible" flag in the channel
table.

> 2. It downloaded a bunch of channel icons but they don't seem to be showing
> up in mythfrontend.

Do they show up in .mythtv/channels?
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 7:35 PM, Robert Kulagowski <rkulagow@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 7:31 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote:
> > So far everything seems to be OK. I didn't have to re-setup my inputs
> they
> > were automagically moved over to the new service and it LOOKS like all my
> > recording schedules are OK but I have a couple of nits:
> >
> > 1. These new lineups don't seem to show up on the SD customer site? I
> used
> > that to disable channels on my Comcast lineup that I can't tune (DRM
> flag).
>
> Different servers, so they don't show up.

I assume once the full transition is made this will change?

> 2. It downloaded a bunch of channel icons but they don't seem to be
> showing
> > up in mythfrontend.
>
> Do they show up in .mythtv/channels?

Yup, all there. I'll have to play around there and see if I can figure it
out.

Thanks,
Richard
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 7:46 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 7:35 PM, Robert Kulagowski <rkulagow@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 7:31 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com>
>> wrote:> 2. It downloaded a bunch of channel icons but they don't seem to
>> be showing
>>
> > up in mythfrontend.
>>
>> Do they show up in .mythtv/channels?
>>

> Yup, all there. I'll have to play around there and see if I can figure it
> out.

Ok, replying to myself here... Looking at the console output two lines look
suspicious.

libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile

Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 7:46 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 7:35 PM, Robert Kulagowski <rkulagow@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 7:31 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > So far everything seems to be OK. I didn't have to re-setup my inputs
>> > they
>> > were automagically moved over to the new service and it LOOKS like all
>> > my
>> > recording schedules are OK but I have a couple of nits:
>> >
>> > 1. These new lineups don't seem to show up on the SD customer site? I
>> > used
>> > that to disable channels on my Comcast lineup that I can't tune (DRM
>> > flag).
>>
>> Different servers, so they don't show up.
>

> I assume once the full transition is made this will change?

There will be some changes made on the SD website to manipulate the
lineups on the JSON service, but the days of selecting channels on the
website are gone. Since the scripts are CLI, it's unwieldy to iterate
through 1245 channels to indicate whether you want to download the
schedules, so that will be up to something like MythWeb or the backend
web-based mythtv setup program (setting the "visible" flag).

>> > 2. It downloaded a bunch of channel icons but they don't seem to be
>> > showing
>> > up in mythfrontend.
>>
>> Do they show up in .mythtv/channels?
>

> Yup, all there. I'll have to play around there and see if I can figure it
> out.

OK; I'm just following the Wiki and the Universal Channel Icon section

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_icons#Universal_Location
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 7:51 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 7:46 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 7:35 PM, Robert Kulagowski <rkulagow@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 7:31 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:> 2. It downloaded a bunch of channel icons but they don't seem to be
>>> showing

>>> Do they show up in .mythtv/channels?
>>

>> Yup, all there. I'll have to play around there and see if I can figure it
>> out.
>

> Ok, replying to myself here... Looking at the console output two lines look
> suspicious.
>
> libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
> libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile

The icons are pretty standard, but Google shows that this is something
to do with libpng > 1.6.3 and it offers some "strip" commands through
ImageMagick.

I'll do some more research, and if the icons need to be fixed
server-side then I'll go ahead and do that.
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On 10/02/2014 07:53 PM, Robert Kulagowski wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 7:46 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Do they show up in .mythtv/channels?
>>

>> Yup, all there. I'll have to play around there and see if I can figure it
>> out.
>
> OK; I'm just following the Wiki and the Universal Channel Icon section
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_icons#Universal_Location

When commenting here (OK everywhere), folks should probably include
their MythTV version. Note that 0.27 and later store the icon file name only,
and prior to that, a full path name was used. It *appears* to me that
sd-utility.php in checkForChannelIcon uses only the file name.

There's a handy test in the Wiki above for testing (and you don't
even need to run the frontend):

<backend>:6544/Guide/GetChannelIcon?ChanId=<chanid>

--
Bill
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 7:56 PM, Robert Kulagowski <rkulagow@gmail.com>
wrote:

> The icons are pretty standard, but Google shows that this is something
> to do with libpng > 1.6.3 and it offers some "strip" commands through
> ImageMagick.
>
> I'll do some more research, and if the icons need to be fixed
> server-side then I'll go ahead and do that.

I don't know that this is the problem, in reviewing the wiki link it looks
like I may need to change where in icons were downloaded...

The icons were downloaded to the ~/.mythtv/channels directory of the user I
ran the mfdb script as (same as the one I run mythfrontend from) but they
need to go in that location for the user that runs mythbackened, which is a
system account, mythtv. So the home directory for that user is
/var/lib/mythtv... but that didn't seem to work.

The systemd service file sets MYTHCONFDIR to /etc/mythtv, perhaps I should
try there...

Thanks,
Richard
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
/etc/mythtv/channels was the ticket.

Thanks,
Richard
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On 10/02/14 16:30, Tom Dexter wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 1:14 PM, Karl Newman<newmank1@asme.org> wrote:
>> >On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 9:46 AM, R. G. Newbury<newbury@mandamus.org> wrote:
>> >

>> >I think most of us are waiting on some official word from the mythtv
>> >developers--who have been strangely silent about this topic on this list--as
>> >to which direction they are heading and if there are any official patches in
>> >the works to deal with this change.
>> >
>> >Karl
>> >
> Absolutely. Even though I'm a programmer and probably among the more
> technical MythTV users, I think I speak for many here when I say that
> the descriptions so far around using the new JSON grabber and how it
> all actually relates to MythTV itself has me completely dumbfounded.
> There hasn't even been a clear consensus on whether or not it means
> blowing away and rescanning all your sources and channels etc which
> frankly still makes no sense to me.

I have a slightly different concern, or two.

Piping an unknown blob from a URL into a shell isn't the safest or most
secure means of installing software. Of course, it is possible to read
a few hundred lines of php code and try to make sure it is safe - but
why? What about the packages it installs? The top hit on 'composer
integrity checks':
http://blog.astrumfutura.com/2014/02/composer-downloading-random-code-is-not-a-security-vulnerability/.
I still don't see how Composer verifies the integrity of its downloads.
Never mind, it looks like it doesn't:
https://github.com/composer/composer/issues/1074.

It appears that Composer will be managing certain packages itself.
Distributions already have their own package managers that can track
what packages are current, and Composer limits the native package
manager's ability to know what is installed. Composer bundles its own
dependencies, which also works around the native package manager. (For
those interested, Gentoo has had bug 439206 open for a couple of years
discussing Composer.)

Keith