There are two ways to use the new service. If you can modify your code, replacing Tribune's hostname in the WSDL or Service request with
dd.schedulesdirect.org.

If you can't modify your code, you (and your users) can add this to your hosts file.

54.84.32.205 docs.tms.tribune.com webservices.schedulesdirect.tmsdatadirect.com

That's it! I hope the change is totally transparent to applications. Please let me know, Nov 1 is getting closer!

You can contact me via email or the SD forum: DataDirect replacement service - BETA 1 <http://forums.schedulesdirect.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2591>
(known issues are in the forum post)

Robert
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
I just added to my hosts and ran mythfilldatabase. Everything looks good
so far, I will check my schedule this evening, but based on cli output
looks good on my box.

Bryan

-Bryan Anderson

Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Robert Eden <rmeden@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm ready for more testing of my replacement Data Direct service. The new
> JSON service is still the preferred solution.
>
> There are two ways to use the new service. If you can modify your code,
> replacing Tribune's hostname in the WSDL or Service request with
> dd.schedulesdirect.org.
>
> If you can't modify your code, you (and your users) can add this to your
> hosts file.
>
> 54.84.32.205 docs.tms.tribune.com
> webservices.schedulesdirect.tmsdatadirect.com
>
> That's it! I hope the change is totally transparent to applications.
> Please let me know, Nov 1 is getting closer!
>
> You can contact me via email or the SD forum: DataDirect replacement
> service - BETA 1
> (known issues are in the forum post)

Will this work with mythtv-0.26-fixes?

John
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On 10/1/2014 3:20 PM, John Drescher wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Robert Eden <rmeden@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I'm ready for more testing of my replacement Data Direct service. The new
>> JSON service is still the preferred solution.
>>
>> There are two ways to use the new service. If you can modify your code,
>> replacing Tribune's hostname in the WSDL or Service request with
>> dd.schedulesdirect.org.
>>
>> If you can't modify your code, you (and your users) can add this to your
>> hosts file.
>>
>> 54.84.32.205 docs.tms.tribune.com
>> webservices.schedulesdirect.tmsdatadirect.com
>>
>> That's it! I hope the change is totally transparent to applications.
>> Please let me know, Nov 1 is getting closer!
>>
>> You can contact me via email or the SD forum: DataDirect replacement
>> service - BETA 1
>> (known issues are in the forum post)
>>
> Will this work with mythtv-0.26-fixes?

You tell me! I hope it works with everything.

Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 3:14 PM, Bryan Anderson <shadow431@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just added to my hosts and ran mythfilldatabase. Everything looks good so
> far, I will check my schedule this evening, but based on cli output looks
> good on my box.
>
> Bryan
>
> -Bryan Anderson

Interesting...thanks for the update. the other day I started looking
at the 0.27.3-fixes MythTV code around the schedules direct stuff, and
one part threw me off...though I haven't looked into it in detail:

In the file mythtv/libs/libmythtv/datadirect.cpp I see this:

DataDirectURLs urls1(
"Schedules Direct",
"http://webservices.schedulesdirect.tmsdatadirect.com"
"/schedulesdirect/tvlistings/xtvdService",
"http://schedulesdirect.org",
"/login/index.php");

What didn't add to be where those last two entries, which appear to
get used in DataDirectProcessor::GrabLoginCookiesAndLineups to log in
and get a login cookie. Given that the hosts file change wouldn't
affect schedulesdirect.org itself, that didn't make sense. That is,
that the new server could use a cookie from a login on the the live
shedulesdirect.org server. Maybe something there isn't being used as
I'm assuming...like I said I hadn't looked into it in detail.

Tom
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 4:20 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Robert Eden <rmeden@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I'm ready for more testing of my replacement Data Direct service. The new
>> JSON service is still the preferred solution.
>>
>> There are two ways to use the new service. If you can modify your code,
>> replacing Tribune's hostname in the WSDL or Service request with
>> dd.schedulesdirect.org.
>>
>> If you can't modify your code, you (and your users) can add this to your
>> hosts file.
>>
>> 54.84.32.205 docs.tms.tribune.com
>> webservices.schedulesdirect.tmsdatadirect.com
>>
>> That's it! I hope the change is totally transparent to applications.
>> Please let me know, Nov 1 is getting closer!
>>
>> You can contact me via email or the SD forum: DataDirect replacement
>> service - BETA 1
>> (known issues are in the forum post)
>>

> Will this work with mythtv-0.26-fixes?
>
> John

If the replacement service is working as intended I would think that,
assuming your 0.26-fixes is currently working with DD, it would almost
have to. That is, it would be totally transparent where MythTV
wouldn't even know it was getting the data from a different source.
I'm sure the urls haven't changed.
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On 10/1/2014 3:50 PM, Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 3:14 PM, Bryan Anderson <shadow431@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I just added to my hosts and ran mythfilldatabase. Everything looks good so
>> far, I will check my schedule this evening, but based on cli output looks
>> good on my box.
>>
>> Bryan
>>
>> -Bryan Anderson
>>
> Interesting...thanks for the update. the other day I started looking
> at the 0.27.3-fixes MythTV code around the schedules direct stuff, and
> one part threw me off...though I haven't looked into it in detail:
>
> In the file mythtv/libs/libmythtv/datadirect.cpp I see this:
>
> DataDirectURLs urls1(
> "Schedules Direct",
> "http://webservices.schedulesdirect.tmsdatadirect.com"
> "/schedulesdirect/tvlistings/xtvdService",
> "http://schedulesdirect.org",
> "/login/index.php");
>
> What didn't add to be where those last two entries, which appear to
> get used in DataDirectProcessor::GrabLoginCookiesAndLineups to log in
> and get a login cookie. Given that the hosts file change wouldn't
> affect schedulesdirect.org itself, that didn't make sense. That is,
> that the new server could use a cookie from a login on the the live
> shedulesdirect.org server. Maybe something there isn't being used as
> I'm assuming...like I said I hadn't looked into it in detail.
I suspect the last two entries are simply used by the GUI to direct folks to the SD web site. It's not used to obtain guide data. I'd like hostname
in the second URL changed to dd.schedulesdirect.org at some point. (so host file changes aren't needed).

Robert
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Robert Eden <rmeden@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm ready for more testing of my replacement Data Direct service. The
> new JSON service is still the preferred solution.
>
> There are two ways to use the new service. If you can modify your code,
> replacing Tribune's hostname in the WSDL or Service request with
> dd.schedulesdirect.org.
>
> If you can't modify your code, you (and your users) can add this to your
> hosts file.
>
> 54.84.32.205 docs.tms.tribune.com
> webservices.schedulesdirect.tmsdatadirect.com
>
> That's it! I hope the change is totally transparent to applications.
> Please let me know, Nov 1 is getting closer!
>
> You can contact me via email or the SD forum: DataDirect replacement
> service - BETA 1
> <http://forums.schedulesdirect.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2591>
> (known issues are in the forum post)
>
> Robert

> Added the change to my hosts file.
Did a mythfilldatabase. So far so good.

way too easy.

Thanks!

Kris
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On 10/2/2014 3:19 AM, Kris Jensen wrote:
> Added the change to my hosts file.
> Did a mythfilldatabase. So far so good.
>
> way too easy.

Thanks!

One issue with MythTV that has come up is the known (and documented) issue of the relevance value for genre.

MythWeb uses the "zero" value for color coding the entry. Replacement DD starts with one and is random (relevance value not relevant)
If you convert ones to zero, the color coding is random.
I guess starting with one makes it better for MythTV so the colors aren't random, just the same.

Again, this is a known (and documented) deficiency of the current replacement DD service. I don't consider this a show-stopper. My initial goal is
to provide a service "good enough" for when TMS DataDirect goes away. JSON is of course available (and more developed).

Robert

Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
Robert Eden <rmeden@yahoo.com> writes:

> I'm ready for more testing of my replacement Data Direct service. The new JSON service is still the preferred solution.
>
> There are two ways to use the new service. If you can modify your
> code, replacing Tribune's hostname in the WSDL or Service request with
> dd.schedulesdirect.org.
>
> If you can't modify your code, you (and your users) can add this to your hosts file.
>
> 54.84.32.205 docs.tms.tribune.com webservices.schedulesdirect.tmsdatadirect.com
>
> That's it! I hope the change is totally transparent to applications. Please let me know, Nov 1 is getting closer!
>
> You can contact me via email or the SD forum: DataDirect replacement service - BETA 1 <http://forums.schedulesdirect.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2591>
> (known issues are in the forum post)

Done without incident. But it was so transparent as to be invisible:
how can I know that the json service was used? I did

mythfilldatabase --dd-grad-all

Leo
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On 10/2/2014 7:38 AM, Leo Butler wrote:
> Done without incident. But it was so transparent as to be invisible:
> how can I know that the json service was used? I did
>
> mythfilldatabase --dd-grad-all
The JSON service was not used, you would know if it was... you'd need to install a JSON grabber and set up lineups.

You tested a drop-in replacement for Tribune Media Services' Data Direct service, developed and hosted by SD. It's less efficient and less featured
than the SD JSON service, but I hope it is "good enough" for folks that don't want (or can't) move.

Robert

Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On 10/02/2014 03:19 AM, Kris Jensen wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Robert Eden <rmeden@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm ready for more testing of my replacement Data Direct service. The
>> new JSON service is still the preferred solution.
>>
>> There are two ways to use the new service. If you can modify your code,
>> replacing Tribune's hostname in the WSDL or Service request with
>> dd.schedulesdirect.org.
>>
>> If you can't modify your code, you (and your users) can add this to your
>> hosts file.
>>
>> 54.84.32.205 docs.tms.tribune.com webservices.schedulesdirect.tmsdatadirect.com
>>
>> That's it! I hope the change is totally transparent to applications.
>> Please let me know, Nov 1 is getting closer!
>>
>> You can contact me via email or the SD forum: DataDirect replacement
>> service - BETA 1
>> <http://forums.schedulesdirect.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2591>
>> (known issues are in the forum post)
>>
>> Added the change to my hosts file.
> Did a mythfilldatabase. So far so good.
>
> way too easy.
>
> Thanks!

Same here, it just works. All my testing was with 0.28-pre and my systems are
setup to use --dd-grab-all at the run time suggested by the server.

I'd encourage anyone testing the new server to watch their mythfilldatabase.log
files (or wherever you put them.) I did all my tests with -v network,file
--loglevel debug.

I also used Wireshark to look at the protocol. Should anyone need it, the
following can be used to get the bits, then the file can be scp'ed to another
host and viewed: tshark -i eth0 -f "host 54.164.149.223" -w someFileName.pcap

I've made *no* attempt to change anything in my lineup at Schedules Direct.
According to http://forums.schedulesdirect.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2591,
that code isn't written yet.

My observations:

One issue *could* be that the new server doesn't respond to pings. For some
reason, I seem to remember an old thread where someone mentioned using a
wrapper script that did a ping before calling mythfilldatabase. That would
fail. It could also be my imagination.

On my production box, the next suggested time retrieval always fails. This
is normally retrieved in a new TCP conversation following the schedule download.
It isn't a problem because the MythTV code uses the current time plus 1 day
when it fails. Specifically done here:

mythfilldatabase/filldata.cpp updateLastRunStatus(QString &status)

On my test box, it never fails. If that rings a bell with anyone, please
let me know. Side note, Robert Eden tells me that at this time, the new
server also simply adds 1 day to the current time to create the next
suggested time (no complex, finely honed load balancing algorithm ;) .)

--
Bill
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On 10/2/2014 8:41 AM, Bill Meek wrote:
> One issue *could* be that the new server doesn't respond to pings. For some
> reason, I seem to remember an old thread where someone mentioned using a
> wrapper script that did a ping before calling mythfilldatabase. That would
> fail. It could also be my imagination.
Pings added... it bothered me too! :)

Robert

Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 9:41 AM, Bill Meek <keemllib@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> reason, I seem to remember an old thread where someone mentioned using a
> wrapper script that did a ping before calling mythfilldatabase. That would
> fail. It could also be my imagination.
>
> On my production box, the next suggested time retrieval always fails. This
> is normally retrieved in a new TCP conversation following the schedule
> download.
> It isn't a problem because the MythTV code uses the current time plus 1 day
> when it fails. Specifically done here:
>
> mythfilldatabase/filldata.cpp updateLastRunStatus(QString &status)
>
> On my test box, it never fails. If that rings a bell with anyone, please
> let me know. Side note, Robert Eden tells me that at this time, the new
> server also simply adds 1 day to the current time to create the next
> suggested time (no complex, finely honed load balancing algorithm ;) .)

I'm confused, are you adding the mac address to the hosts file, which hosts
file? I show several:

/usr/share/man/man5/hosts.5.gz
/usr/share/man/man5/hosts.allow.5.gz
/usr/share/man/man5/hosts.deny.5.gz
/usr/share/man/man5/hosts.equiv.5.gz
/usr/share/man/man5/hosts_access.5.gz
/usr/share/man/man5/hosts_options.5.gz
/usr/share/man/man5/lmhosts.5.gz
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On 10/02/2014 10:36 AM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
>>> On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Robert Eden <rmeden@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm ready for more testing of my replacement Data Direct service. The

> I'm confused, are you adding the mac address to the hosts file, which hosts
> file? I show several:
>
> /usr/share/man/man5/hosts.5.gz
> /usr/share/man/man5/hosts.allow.5.gz
> /usr/share/man/man5/hosts.deny.5.gz
> /usr/share/man/man5/hosts.equiv.5.gz
> /usr/share/man/man5/hosts_access.5.gz
> /usr/share/man/man5/hosts_options.5.gz
> /usr/share/man/man5/lmhosts.5.gz

Actually, it's the IP address and it goes in /etc/hosts.

There will no doubt be some future announcement that will
tell users that the entry is no longer required and at
that time, you'd remove the entry in /etc/hosts.

--
Bill
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 11:36 AM, Daryl McDonald <darylangela@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 9:41 AM, Bill Meek <keemllib@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10/02/2014 03:19 AM, Kris Jensen wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Robert Eden <rmeden@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm ready for more testing of my replacement Data Direct service. The

>>> Did a mythfilldatabase. So far so good.
>>>
>>> way too easy.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>

>> Same here, it just works. All my testing was with 0.28-pre and my systems
>> are
>> setup to use --dd-grab-all at the run time suggested by the server.
>>
>> I'd encourage anyone testing the new server to watch their
>> mythfilldatabase.log
>> files (or wherever you put them.) I did all my tests with -v network,file
>> --loglevel debug.
>>
>> I also used Wireshark to look at the protocol. Should anyone need it, the
>> following can be used to get the bits, then the file can be scp'ed to
>> another
>> host and viewed: tshark -i eth0 -f "host 54.164.149.223" -w
>> someFileName.pcap
>>
>> I've made *no* attempt to change anything in my lineup at Schedules
>> Direct.
>> According to http://forums.schedulesdirect.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2591,
>> that code isn't written yet.
>>
>> My observations:
>>
>> One issue *could* be that the new server doesn't respond to pings. For
>> some
>> reason, I seem to remember an old thread where someone mentioned using a
>> wrapper script that did a ping before calling mythfilldatabase. That would
>> fail. It could also be my imagination.
>>
>> On my production box, the next suggested time retrieval always fails. This
>> is normally retrieved in a new TCP conversation following the schedule
>> download.
>> It isn't a problem because the MythTV code uses the current time plus 1
>> day
>> when it fails. Specifically done here:
>>
>> mythfilldatabase/filldata.cpp updateLastRunStatus(QString &status)
>>
>> On my test box, it never fails. If that rings a bell with anyone, please
>> let me know. Side note, Robert Eden tells me that at this time, the new
>> server also simply adds 1 day to the current time to create the next
>> suggested time (no complex, finely honed load balancing algorithm ;) .)
>>

> I'm confused, are you adding the mac address to the hosts file, which
> hosts file? I show several:
>
> /usr/share/man/man5/hosts.5.gz
> /usr/share/man/man5/hosts.allow.5.gz
> /usr/share/man/man5/hosts.deny.5.gz
> /usr/share/man/man5/hosts.equiv.5.gz
> /usr/share/man/man5/hosts_access.5.gz
> /usr/share/man/man5/hosts_options.5.gz
> /usr/share/man/man5/lmhosts.5.gz

all of those are man pages (help files).

The hosts file is almost always /etc/hosts

Essentially you can think of the hosts file as a DNS override (or
substitute if you don't have DNS available) It's literally a list of ip
addresses and the host name that you want to use to access it.
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On 02/10/14 09:56 AM, Robert Eden wrote:
> On 10/2/2014 8:41 AM, Bill Meek wrote:
>> One issue *could* be that the new server doesn't respond to pings. For
>> some
>> reason, I seem to remember an old thread where someone mentioned using a
>> wrapper script that did a ping before calling mythfilldatabase. That
>> would
>> fail. It could also be my imagination.
> Pings added... it bothered me too! :)
>
> Robert

To do this, I wrote a little script, called as /usr/local/bin/grabber

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/ping -c 2 sentex.ca
/usr/local/bin/mythfilldatabase --dd-grab-all

Remember to change the settings in Setup or
in mysql:

> update settings set data="/usr/local/bin/grabber" where
value="MythFillDatabasePath";

> update settings set data="" where value="MythFillDatabaseArgs";

R. Geoffrey Newbury

Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On 10/1/2014 11:56 AM, Robert Eden wrote:
> I'm ready for more testing of my replacement Data Direct service. The
> new JSON service is still the preferred solution.
>
> There are two ways to use the new service. If you can modify your
> code, replacing Tribune's hostname in the WSDL or Service request with
> dd.schedulesdirect.org.
>
> If you can't modify your code, you (and your users) can add this to
> your hosts file.
>
> 54.84.32.205 docs.tms.tribune.com
> webservices.schedulesdirect.tmsdatadirect.com
>
> That's it! I hope the change is totally transparent to applications.
> Please let me know, Nov 1 is getting closer!
>
> You can contact me via email or the SD forum: DataDirect replacement
> service - BETA 1
> <http://forums.schedulesdirect.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2591>
> (known issues are in the forum post)
>
> Robert

Thanks for your efforts Robert. It did not work for me. I get HTTP
error 400 NO POSTDATA. The (partial) output from 'mythfilldatabase
--refresh-all' follows:

2014-10-02 08:49:53.992 Grabbing listing data
2014-10-02 08:49:53.993 DataDirect: Saving listings to DD cache
--2014-10-02 08:49:53--
http://webservices.schedulesdirect.tmsdatadirect.com/schedulesdirect/tvlistings/xtvdService
Resolving webservices.schedulesdirect.tmsdatadirect.com... 54.84.32.205
Connecting to
webservices.schedulesdirect.tmsdatadirect.com|54.84.32.205|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 401 Authorization Required
Reusing existing connection to
webservices.schedulesdirect.tmsdatadirect.com:80.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 400 NO POSTDATA
2014-10-02 08:49:54 ERROR 400: NO POSTDATA.

2014-10-02 08:49:54.523 DataDirect, Error: Failed to save DD cache!
redownloading data...

Jay
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
Robert,

I changed the /etc/hosts file as directed and got some missing data for a
few channels after running mythfilldatabase --dd-grab-all. I switched back
just to make sure that it was due to the change in /etc/hosts.

The channel list is as follows. I don't know if you need this here:
WGN, TBS, Outdoor, SPEED, Comcast Sports, TVGN, GOL (I think - seems to be
a soccer channel)

Some of these are not critical to me but I'd like to have a few of them.
Should I file a bug report somewhere?

Thanks!
Jerry
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 10:57 AM, Jay Foster <jayf0ster@roadrunner.com>
wrote:

> On 10/1/2014 11:56 AM, Robert Eden wrote:
>
> I'm ready for more testing of my replacement Data Direct service. The new
> JSON service is still the preferred solution.
>
> There are two ways to use the new service. If you can modify your code,
> replacing Tribune's hostname in the WSDL or Service request with
> dd.schedulesdirect.org.
>
> If you can't modify your code, you (and your users) can add this to your
> hosts file.
>
> 54.84.32.205 docs.tms.tribune.com
> webservices.schedulesdirect.tmsdatadirect.com
>
> That's it! I hope the change is totally transparent to applications.
> Please let me know, Nov 1 is getting closer!
>
> You can contact me via email or the SD forum: DataDirect replacement
> service - BETA 1
> <http://forums.schedulesdirect.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2591>
> (known issues are in the forum post)
>
> Robert

Just another data point: I just gave it a try and it worked as expected. I
only got about 6 days of data but that already discussed.

Jon
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 12:16 PM, Jon Heizer <jheizer@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 10:57 AM, Jay Foster <jayf0ster@roadrunner.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 10/1/2014 11:56 AM, Robert Eden wrote:
>>
>> I'm ready for more testing of my replacement Data Direct service. The
>> new JSON service is still the preferred solution.
>>
>> There are two ways to use the new service. If you can modify your code,
>> replacing Tribune's hostname in the WSDL or Service request with
>> dd.schedulesdirect.org.
>>
>> If you can't modify your code, you (and your users) can add this to your
>> hosts file.
>>
>> 54.84.32.205 docs.tms.tribune.com
>> webservices.schedulesdirect.tmsdatadirect.com
>>
>> That's it! I hope the change is totally transparent to applications.
>> Please let me know, Nov 1 is getting closer!
>>
>> You can contact me via email or the SD forum: DataDirect replacement
>> service - BETA 1
>> <http://forums.schedulesdirect.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2591>
>> (known issues are in the forum post)
>>
>> Robert
>>

> Just another data point: I just gave it a try and it worked as expected.
> I only got about 6 days of data but that already discussed.
>
> Jon

apologies for being so dense, here is my hosts file:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 daryl-A780L3C

::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

the 54.84.32.205 goes where?
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 6:56 PM, Robert Eden <rmeden@yahoo.com> wrote:
> If you can't modify your code, you (and your users) can add this to your
> hosts file.

With recent bind versions (equivalent functionality in others)
one can also use response policy zones to redirect the query
in your local dns server. No changes to clients needed.
(and rpz can also be used for other useful purposes, such
as blocking ads and blocking malicious sites).
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On 02/10/14 09:41 AM, Bill Meek wrote:

> My observations:
>
> One issue *could* be that the new server doesn't respond to pings. For some
> reason, I seem to remember an old thread where someone mentioned using a
> wrapper script that did a ping before calling mythfilldatabase. That would
> fail. It could also be my imagination.

That was probably a comment made by me. I have a particular problem with
Rogers Cable internet services. After a period without activity, DNS
services seem to suspend/go to sleep. Any activity which needed DNS
would silently fail to complete. -> no mythfilldatabase results!

The ping is NOT against the SchedulesDirect or TMS servers. I just ping
another local ISP, being outside the Rogers server system computers.

So please do not ping any SD or TMS servers.

*************************

Just to make one point especially clear on this thread:

There are TWO different substitute services.

Robert Kulagowski's MFDB-JSON replacement uses a different Gracenote
data source than the present DataDirect service. The data source has
more data (Series and Episode numbers! internal fan-art etc) about the
shows and covers a large chunk of the world. The mfdb-json service
itself uses an efficient download strategy, so that you only call for
and only get new data. The program is really quite stable and present
testing is really looking for corner cases, and load handling.

Robert Eden's DD replacement uses yet another Gracenote data source, and
parses out the equivalent of the DataDirect service feed. It then
translates that into the correct form, and hosts it at a different site.
Thus the URL sleight of hand.

Both are, to a certain extent, still experimental.

Whichever way you choose to move, you WILL have to choose. Gracenote/TMS
has talked about killing the DataDirect service for some time, but the
timing was always vaque. Until we received notice of a hard date of
November 1, 2014. Thus the apparent and not so apparent scrambling.
Coding of the two substitutes has actually been going on for quite some
time by the two Roberts, so things are not as bad as you might assume.

R. Geoffrey Newbury

PS; The 'R.' actually does stand for Robert... there seems to be a
surfeit of us around!

Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 4:46 PM, R. G. Newbury <newbury@mandamus.org> wrote:
> That was probably a comment made by me. I have a particular problem with
> Rogers Cable internet services. After a period without activity, DNS
> services seem to suspend/go to sleep. Any activity which needed DNS would
> silently fail to complete. -> no mythfilldatabase results!

That seems strange. But I have heard of other interesting things
some Canadian ISPs do, so I guess I should not be surprised.
Is this possibly a subscriber AAA, or CG-NAT issue with Rogers
infrastructure (and do you care if you have a working bypass)?
Re: Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 9:46 AM, R. G. Newbury <newbury@mandamus.org> wrote:

> Whichever way you choose to move, you WILL have to choose.

I think most of us are waiting on some official word from the mythtv
developers--who have been strangely silent about this topic on this
list--as to which direction they are heading and if there are any official
patches in the works to deal with this change.

Karl

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  View All